Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"TV Licensing"

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 26, 2019 10:04 PM

If you have a TV, you pay a licence fee. ~£160. It funds the BBC and its operations. I consider the quality of BBC news to be much better than US news. I do like PBS though.

American journalists are so shrill, inarticulate and strident, must of the time.

That man is not intimidated. Daily Mail is a rag. Their readers are trash.

by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2019 6:32 AM

In Germany it is worse, you must pay a tv tax even if you have no tv.

by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2019 7:29 AM

Great, I have to pay for the privilege of being brainwash by their propanda, which is on top of being spied on 24/7. What a dumpster fire of a country.

by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2019 7:59 AM

Rude old codger. Doesn't he know that the BBC needs that money to fund Dancing With the Stars!

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2019 8:10 AM

How could free people tolerate such a thing? We are fortunate not to be European.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2019 8:14 AM

The licence fee doesn’t just fund the BBC, it funds the telecommunication infrastructure of the UK. For example the licence fee partially financed nation-wide broadband installation, and it funds the technology that other (commercial) TV providers use.

Plus it is optional. You can watch TV and even watch the BBC perfectly legally without it. You only need a licence to watch “live” TV.

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2019 8:21 AM

Back when radios first came in, the government sent radio inspectors into the community, they would visit every house and make sure they had a radio licence. Governments are always ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2019 8:37 AM

That's outrageous. Corporations are people too and the money should all go to private capital. Why should the gummint be involved in anything except fer buildin' bridges and the army? You want communications infrastructure, let the corporations build it (after taking advantage of research at public universities) and charge the fair market value! Poor Brits are havin their freedom taken away. Don't even git me started 'bout their communist medicine.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2019 8:51 AM

In this era of cheap to free mass communication (broadcasting views of every persuasion), there is no need for a public broadcaster.

Taxes or license money should not be funding light entertainment, watered-down educational content and biased 'news'.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2019 8:57 AM

One doesn't need to allow them in, if they do turn up on your doorstep. They used to have little trucks and vans roaming about trying to sense if you were receiving a signal. I think those are gone now, but being an expat, not quite sure. Many view television without the licence. The old fellow in the article does have a point how agressive the letters can be.

by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2019 10:11 AM

He looks like a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2019 11:58 AM

The Murdoch press and the Mail loathe the BBC and constantly dig up/solicit this sort of story.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2019 12:00 PM

R5 You’re joking, right?

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2019 12:03 PM

OP, how did you post a successful link to the Daily Mail when no one else can? Are you in the U.S.? Did you post the link a special way?

by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2019 12:30 PM

Yes, r5, if only there was a Second Amendment for this outrageous infringement.

by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2019 12:42 PM

OP here. As it happens I am currently in London, UK (aka BoJoShire), R14; soon to return to the land of the free/home of the brave (aka Trumptonshire). The BBC say they need the licence fee (that's how it's spelt over here) or their pristine output would be tarnished by vulgar advertising. What the BBC don't say is that BBC America carries advertisements; so I suppose their output is not quite so pristine Stateside: they are hypocritters. R10 : here is a learned article on their "detector vans" which look rather sinister in an amateurish sort of way (so British!).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2019 5:40 PM

^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_detector_van

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2019 5:42 PM

Didn't they (the UK) used to have electricity (or gas?) that you had to pay for by putting coins in a meter on your heater or stove or something?

by Anonymousreply 18August 16, 2019 1:25 AM

Gas meter above the front door. I had one. Broke it open and used the same coins over and over again for endless gas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 18, 2019 3:37 AM

They were for poor people who struggled with monthly bills, R18.

by Anonymousreply 20August 18, 2019 3:47 AM

Aren't TV licences common all over Europe?

by Anonymousreply 21August 18, 2019 3:48 AM

R20 They were for poor people who struggled with their daily bills, let alone monthly bills.

by Anonymousreply 22August 18, 2019 3:56 AM

[quote] Broke it open and used the same coins over and over again for endless gas.

I had a burrito for dinner. Don't tell ME about endless gas.

by Anonymousreply 23August 18, 2019 4:26 AM

The after effect of a burrito is both a gas and a solid.

by Anonymousreply 24August 18, 2019 4:31 AM

Gross

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 18, 2019 4:45 AM

R21 I know they are in Italy, France, Belgium, Austria, and for radio as well. Probably most places.

by Anonymousreply 26August 18, 2019 4:49 AM

"For example the licence fee partially financed nation-wide broadband installation"...

Do you have nation-wide broadband?

by Anonymousreply 27August 18, 2019 5:27 AM

In Germany they have a Church Tax. Is that like the BBC (not big black cock) licence (sic) fee?

by Anonymousreply 28August 18, 2019 5:32 AM

TV licences are a throwback to a bygone age, we got rid of them here in 2000, and they were obsolete then. They grew out of radio licenses which originated in the 1920's and 30's. Completely unenforceable these days and as R6 and R10 point out plenty of people watch without a license. That was already widespread here when they got rid of licensing here, part of the reason they gave up on it. If a public broadcaster is really needed (and as R9 points out there really is no point these days) it can be funded from general taxation as it is here.

I'm astonished they have persisted with it so long in the UK, must be one of they last remaining holdouts left in the world. I can quite see why OP finds it perplexing, it really makes no sense and hasnt since the 80's. TV itself has been decline for years since the onset of streaming services etc, the whole idea of a licence for a TV set when you can pick up a perfectly good used TV for $20 just seems incredulous and laughable

by Anonymousreply 29August 18, 2019 8:53 AM

Is he current on his doily tax?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 18, 2019 8:56 AM

BBC America is a completely separate entity from the actual BBC, dumbass at r16. BBCA is an American commercial entity.

The fact BBC America doesn’t exist in the UK should be your first clue.

by Anonymousreply 31August 18, 2019 9:15 AM

The Dumbass at R31 doesn't understand the value of goodwill in business. BBC America is a sham and R31 sounds like he works for them.

by Anonymousreply 32August 20, 2019 5:43 PM

They send letters to all addresses, if you don't watch TV shred/bin them. What kind of sad sack keeps ten years of licence reminders?

by Anonymousreply 33August 20, 2019 6:04 PM

R31 But the fact that the BBC has many commercial channels across the world, means that they should make enough money to not require the licence fee at home.

by Anonymousreply 34August 20, 2019 6:07 PM

R34 They are flogging their international reputation to make money; their international reputation has been made on the back of the licence (sic) payers. Inside the UK the BBC are regarded as rather suspect: buggers broadcasting communism; big black cock; "Auntie" - stuff like that. The BBC still want the licence fee and have recently abolished the exemption for over-75s, 'cos the BBC needs the money, cunts, to develop BBC Zimbabwe etc, double-cunts, at the expense of pensioners who have paid the fucking licence fee all their televiewing lives. To cap it all, with the intimidation of the viewing public a lot of people probably pay the licence fee out of fear even though they don't have to: this is because for decades you had to pay the fee if you simply owned a TV, whether or not you watched anything from the BBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2019 6:23 PM

R35 That's my point the license payer's money built the BBC's reputation, so now they should get a break and the BBC can fund itself, based on that reputation abroad.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2019 6:30 PM

“American journalists are so shrill, inarticulate and strident, must of the time.”

How does one “must” with one’s time?

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2019 6:37 PM

R9: WRONG! A public broadcaster is extremely important for news quality in a society. We here in the US have no real journalism thanks to the commercial media's tabloid bias and no public broadcaster to balance things out. And no, PBS and NPR do not count as they are not public but privately financed.

by Anonymousreply 38August 20, 2019 6:46 PM

R36 The licence payer is not getting a break. The overseas BBC do not repatriate their ill-gotten foreign earnings. Now in the UK even the over 75s now have to pay the fee. The scope of the fee in the UK is expanding.

by Anonymousreply 39August 20, 2019 6:51 PM

The license goons have actually shown up at people's homes with the police trying to force their way into homes.

I used to be hooked on the TV License goon YouTube videos. Those slags would be beaten in many parts of the US if they tried the crap they try in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40August 20, 2019 7:11 PM

When I was a student in the UK and had better things to do than watch TV, I regularly had old babuskas turn up on the doorstep, wrapped in blankets with belts in the winter to ask why I didn't have a licence. These poor old women, who would have been better off on a state pension in the old USSR, were sub-contractors of the BBC's who probably paid them on collection only.

by Anonymousreply 41August 20, 2019 7:17 PM

I wonder if this is how the pub culture developed in the UK? Pay for a pint and watch football.

by Anonymousreply 42August 20, 2019 7:18 PM

R42 It was not: the pubs did not have TV because they had no entertainment licence. Guys used to go to the pub to get out of the house (in the house); the frau would meanwhile be dressmaking in the house. The screen-soccer in pubs came with Sky.

by Anonymousreply 43August 20, 2019 7:51 PM

R39 Can you not read? That was the whole point of my comments. Not that licence payers are getting a break but that they should, and that the BBC's foreign assets should be footing the bill.

by Anonymousreply 44August 20, 2019 7:57 PM

R44 We post in English here. Get your boy toy to translate and ditch GoogleTranslate.

by Anonymousreply 45August 20, 2019 8:03 PM

R45 There is nothing I wrote that wasn't in English. I am a native English speaker with a linage that goes back to before William the Conqueror. You, however, are just a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 46August 20, 2019 8:08 PM

I haven't had a TV for over ten years. Every 2-3 years they write to me to ask if I have a TV, and remind me that I need a license if I do. I follow the instructions on the letter, go to the TV licensing website and fill in my details. Then I get another letter a week or so later saying "Thanks, we'll contact you in a couple of years." And that's it.

Never had a menacing letter, never had a visit from an enforcer.

This is the Daily Hatemail shit-stirring. It's not quite National Enquirer, but not far off.

by Anonymousreply 47August 20, 2019 8:17 PM

R46 Alas poor boy, the Conk (like you) did not speakeee zeee Inglisshhe. I guess your linage (sic) goes back to the bog or the Soviet Union somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 48August 20, 2019 8:23 PM

Blocked

by Anonymousreply 49August 20, 2019 8:37 PM

[quote] Blocked

There goes Ivan.

by Anonymousreply 50August 20, 2019 8:51 PM

Honestly, some people on here have gone crazy with calling other people Russian. I said nothing that could been considered Russian talking points. The BBC's commercial assets in the rest of the world SHOULD be used to pay for BBC operations and the British Licence payer SHOULD get relief. There is nothing in that position that would appeal to Russia.

by Anonymousreply 51August 20, 2019 9:47 PM

No TV, no internet, no smartphone. This dude has it all figured out.

by Anonymousreply 52August 20, 2019 10:04 PM

R51, you have to remember, there is a nest of total mental cases on this board on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 53August 20, 2019 10:09 PM

R12 You say the Murdoch press and the Mail loathe the BBC while it's well documented that the Sanctimonious BBC propaganda-apparatchik hate the Murdoch press and the Mail.

We can choose to ignore the Murdoch and the Mail but we are COMPELLED to pay for the BBC propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 54August 20, 2019 10:14 PM

and you're happy to pay for the privilege!

by Anonymousreply 55August 20, 2019 11:25 PM

Why don’t people demand that it be abolished, and why don’t the politicians run on do so?

by Anonymousreply 56August 21, 2019 4:31 AM

R38 - but you must get your balanced news from somewhere? Perhaps the internet?

BBC, like the Australian ABC, is very biased. They admit they try to bring balance, not by being balanced, but by going to the extreme of what the mainstream provides, to them provide 'balance'.

As I said, people have a variety of news sources that are free or cheap, and they can then decide is proper journalism.

To say the BBC is balanced, and honest journalism, is to really kid yourself - I thought you were smarter then that? It may not be Fox fluff, but it's not that far off from being 'fluff'.

And looking at the BBC's newsreaders, you would think the UK was mostly Asian (sub-continentals proliferate).

And it's 'educational' programming is light-weight - lots of padding, dumbing down with lots of unnecessary explanations and amusing 'graphics' on basic concepts. Plus over relying on annoying presenters like Brian Cox, who is all smiles and not much substance. So smart he doesn't realise he doesn't need to make a 'gg' sound with words ending in 'ing'. 'Lightnin-gg'

by Anonymousreply 57August 21, 2019 7:57 AM

R56 To scrap the BBC means scrapping Coro Street! That's like killing a Northerner! Booooo! And you want to kill Doctor Who? More boooooooooo!

Make the BBC a subscription service.

by Anonymousreply 58August 21, 2019 8:03 AM

R38 You can't expect "a public broadcaster" to supply "news quality". EVERYONE is biased nowadays.

I agree with R57. The 'public broadcasters' at the BBC and ABC are ludicrously Woke and Sanctimonious.

by Anonymousreply 59August 21, 2019 9:14 AM

People all over the UK are demanding the Licence Fee be abolished, r56, but no major politician is willing to go up against the all-powerful BBC by campaigning on abolishing it.

The fact that they can potentially put people in jail for being unwilling to pay 175 a year to watch their bald propaganda is, frankly, an outrage. But it won't change anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 60August 21, 2019 11:34 AM

R58 Coronation Street is on ITV. Eastenders is BBC.

by Anonymousreply 61August 21, 2019 7:51 PM

I could understand the license (sorry-licenCe) fee back in the day when not everyone had a TV, but once they became ubiquitous, why didn't they just add a fee on to some other service, or just have it funded out of tax revenue?

by Anonymousreply 62August 21, 2019 9:25 PM

R60 You could be a candidate and run on abolishing the BBC, and you would have the mainstream media provide you with free publicity, because the mainstream media is struggling to compete with all the money that BBC throws at marketing and expanding into digital platforms. They would love someone to come along to kill the beast that is the BBC - first scraping TV licences, and then a push for it to be user-pays and radical defunding.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2019 2:28 AM

[quote]Those slags would be beaten in many parts of the US if they tried the crap they try in the UK.

Not beaten. Shot.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2019 2:57 AM

BBC is better quality than most US news. But you know what? So is NPR. The NPR was all but defunded decades ago.

BBC can find an alternative revenue stream. Britain needs to just cut the chord and defund it already.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2019 11:41 AM

You have to pay the licence fee whether or not you watch the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 66August 25, 2019 11:08 AM

I hate the BBC.

by Anonymousreply 67August 26, 2019 9:46 PM

The BBC is as impartial as Channel 4 which employs the ancient newsreader named Jon Snow.

He joined the crowd of nubile Lolitas shouting ‘F*ck the Tories’ at at Glastonbury while Jeremy Corbyn made a fool of himself on stage.

by Anonymousreply 68August 26, 2019 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!