Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hickenlooper considering ending presidential bid to run for Senate

08/13/19

Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper (D) is considering ending his White House bid and pursuing a Senate run instead, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Four Democratic sources familiar with his thinking told the outlet that the two-term governor is giving serious consideration to challenging Republican Sen. Cory Gardner (Colo.), a move many have have called for in hopes of helping Democrats retake the Senate.

Hickenlooper reportedly discussed the possibility with Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), another 2020 candidate, during a drive before an event in Iowa.

Aides and advisers to the Colorado politicians declined to comment to the Times on what was discussed during the ride.

Hickenlooper's campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Hill on his plans.

Colorado could play a key role in Democratic efforts to retake the Senate.

While there are already 11 declared candidates in the Democratic field, Hickenlooper would bring a high level of name recognition and popularity in Colorado.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has reportedly been trying to recruit him to run for months.

Hickenlooper has struggled to establish a foothold in the presidential race, and is far from qualifying for the third and fourth Democratic primary debates this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2019 10:27 PM

What campaign?

by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2019 6:01 AM

Sounds smart. Beto should do the same in Texas.

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2019 6:28 AM

Ex-Obama campaign staffer says Hickenlooper should end White House bid, run for Senate

8/14/2019

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2019 1:31 AM

This would be a good move. He's got no shot at winning the Democratic nomination. He would have a good shot at winning that Senate seat. Steve Bullock needs to do the same in Montana.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2019 1:41 AM

He's dropping out today, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2019 10:56 AM

And here it is...

[quote]This morning, I’m announcing that I’m no longer running for President. While this campaign didn’t have the outcome we were hoping for, every moment has been worthwhile & I’m thankful to everyone who supported this campaign and our entire team.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2019 8:53 PM

Why the duck was he running for President?

by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2019 9:00 PM

He's doing the right thing. And if Beto cared more about the country than he does himself, he would do the same.

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2019 9:02 PM

"People want to know what comes next for me. I've heard from so many Coloradans who want me to run for the United States Senate. They remind me how much is at stake for our country. And our state. I intend to give that some serious thought," the governor said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 16, 2019 5:27 AM

It's kinda scary watching the boring old white guys peel-off one by one. It's what we're familiar with, and they are a safer bet against Trump, I think.

I hope we know what we're doing...

by Anonymousreply 10August 16, 2019 6:06 AM

Hickenlooper leads Sen. Cory Gardner (R) by 13 points in a poll conducted earlier this week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 16, 2019 6:18 AM

He's running for Senate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2019 12:27 PM

He has virtually no chance to win president (for now), but could probably easily win as a senator from Colorado.

If he can displace the rethug senator, Cory Gardner, that would be ideal.

by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2019 1:40 PM

R10: Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2019 1:44 PM

Damn! And I was so hoping for a Hickenlooper/Buttigieg ticket, listening to reporters trying to get through those names without hopelessly tripping over their tongues.

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2019 1:47 PM

He should run for Senate. He'd be great.

I'd vote for him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2019 1:51 PM

Official Senate launch video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2019 6:55 PM

Yes! We need more good Democratic candidates to run for the Senate and win. Especially if (and I shudder to think) Trump is re-elected.

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2019 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!