Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Reason of Ryan O'Neal and Stanley Kubrick Falling out

From Tatum O'Neal's book: A Paper Life

"My father mesmerised full-grown women, so it was no wonder that twelve-year-old Vivian fell for him. He was so handsome, funny, and seductive that she developed a deep and desperate crush on him. I began to worry that she tolerated me only as a conduit to my father. Worse yet, her crush didn't seem entirely unrequited. While I'm sure they never had any sexual contact- my father never had a thing for young girls- he evidently relished her affection enough to keep pouring on the charm.

When Vivian told Stanley about my father's flirtation, he was outraged. I never heard what he said to my father about it, but they had some kind of falling out. Stanley later dropped my father as the narrator of Barry Lyndon."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35August 30, 2019 4:42 AM

Didn’t Vivian turn into a conspiracy theorist when she grew up?

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2019 3:08 PM

Vivian is a crackpot conspiracy theorist who loves Trump. Definite signs of mental illness.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2019 3:12 PM

So did Ryan molest Vivian?!

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2019 3:16 PM

Viviana twitter feed looks nuts. Capital letters, sex abuse, psy-ops ...

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2019 3:18 PM

*Vivian’s

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2019 3:19 PM

Seems like Tatum keeps mentioning ‘my father wasn’t into young girls so I know he didn’t...’

How would she really know?

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2019 9:32 PM

R6 Probably because he didn't sleep with her!!!!!

From Tatum O'Neal book:

"My father was still writing me angry letters, accusing me of disloyalty and demanding to see his grandchildren.

When I didn't respond, he resorted to badgering me by phone, slurring his words as he claimed "I don't love you anymore" and insisted that he was a good father because he'd never "slept" with me. The sheer absurdity of his expecting credit for not being a pedophile convinced me that his drug and alcohol use was completely out of control.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2019 9:41 PM

I wonder why someone is posting all of these Tatum O’Neal threads

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2019 11:47 PM

As I wrote in the other thread, What could Ryan have done with Vivian to make her father so enraged,?! I highly doubt some innocent flirtation would make Stanley so angry or even make Vivian tell her father. I'm guessing at least there was kissing.

by Anonymousreply 9August 14, 2019 12:38 AM

[quote]Stanley later dropped my father as the narrator of Barry Lyndon."

Thank God!

Having O'Neal narrate the story would've changed the tone of the movie so completely, it wouldn't have been as effective.

In contrast, Michael Hordern is so wonderfully dispassionate as the narrator, I can't imagine the movie any other way.

by Anonymousreply 10August 14, 2019 12:55 AM

Seducing without words....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 14, 2019 1:02 AM

OP is just taking excerpts from the excerpts from the original Tatum / Ryan thread.

You look cheap, OP... cheap.

by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2019 1:05 AM

Ryan was probably just an asshole.

In the making of the Shining, Shelley Duval kept flopping/fainting on the floor pretending to have panic attacks. Stanley was running around angry "Dammit Shelley!"

Another story I heard. Something about Harvey Keitel in Eyes Wide Shut doing so many takes walking through a hotel door. something like 60 takes. Harvey said Kubrick was nuts and left the set and they brought in Sydney Pollack.

by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2019 1:09 AM

Since Vivian was 12 at the time, I don't think it's out of order that Kubrick would have been pissed about "mere flirtation."

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2019 1:31 AM

Ryan seems like an all-around wretched asshole. Was he racist and anti-Semitic as well?

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2019 2:40 AM

Why was he wearing an oxygen mask?

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2019 5:32 AM

Yes, by ALL accounts, Ryan O'Neal is indeed an all-around wretched asshole.

It is entirely to Kubrick's credit that he hit the roof when this well-known horror started flirting with his 12-year-old daughter.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2019 9:55 AM

I didn't know Ryan was of Irish. I thought he was Jewish.

His father was of Irish and English descent, while his mother was of paternal Irish and maternal Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. Ok that explains it I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2019 11:18 AM

Ryan always struck me as a bit gay. His voice pings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2019 11:24 AM

Just from reading the thread on the O'Neals and their interesting family dynamic I think a few things contributed to these two falling out. Kubrick was said to have been sympathetic to Tatum, and if he saw/heard about the competitive pitting of the two girls against one another as Ryan was seemingly fond of that probably put a hair across Kubricks ass. THEN this son of a bitch has the audacity to befriend his tween daughter to the point of her developing a crush or more would definitely piss him off further. I cant say that I don't think ANYTHING happened, but what Ryan saw as innocent or benign, but Kubrick probably saw it as grooming on the most insidious level and abusive and neglectful towards his own children and thought less of him for that. I am a HUGE fan of Kubricks but the man matched fruitcakes in the nut department.

This is a man who refused to fly because of his OCD over the US Gov, the Illumanit! and supposedly made his last film about exposing the commodification of children therein. Fueling that fire is the missing footage and his death but do NOT plant seeds in the heads of hyper creative OCD paranoia addled brains.

Not to mention given the way he worked Ryan could've been replaced at whim because his voice didn't align with what Kubrick intended or WHATEVER. I can believe everything about Vivvy, but so sad she's gone deplorable.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2019 5:02 PM

Vivian Kubrick is not only a Deplorable; she’s also a Scientologist.

She’s been lost to her family for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2019 5:37 PM

ALL these people are monsters

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2019 5:44 PM

How awful that Kubrick worried about so much...and his daughter turned into that dumb kid who joins the cults (Scientology and maga)

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2019 5:45 PM

When did Tatum O’Neal’s biography become a Datalounge Sacred Scripture? How many book report threads are you going to start, OP?

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2019 5:51 PM

R23 Vivian is living irony.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2019 6:04 PM

In the early 70s, a lot of wealthy LA teens used to hang out at Rodney Bingenheimers glam-rock club “The English Disco”. Rock stars used to go there to pick up underage groupies (most of them were between the ages of 13-15). I doubt Tatum was the only messed-up teen in her circle.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2019 7:15 PM

Lost letter reveals details of Ryan O’Neal’s ‘wart-hog’ sex with Mick Jagger’s ex-wife

“Dr. Strangelove” screenwriter Terry Southern described in a long-lost letter to Stanley ­Kubrick how he walked in on Ryan O’Neal having sex with Mick Jagger’s then-wife Bianca.

The never-before-published correspondence reveals a wild 1973 scene when Southern, who also wrote “Easy Rider,” was a guest at Jagger’s London home and accidentally discovered “Love Story” star O’Neal and Bianca in the throes of an extremely energetic sex session.

“My dear Stan,” begins Southern’s letter dated Sept. 30, 1973, which congratulates Kubrick on casting O’Neal in “Barry Lyndon,” Kubrick’s adaptation of William Makepeace Thackeray’s 1844 novel.

“I had the pleasure of meeting R. O’Neal,” continues Southern, “. . . while we were both guests in the home of rock-star Mick Jagger . . . and his charming wife, Bianca — to whom, unless I am very much mistaken, young O’Neal was putting his stout wood in a most forceful manner.”

The letter adds, “In fact, Stan, I would be less than candid if I failed to mention how I walked into the room one afternoon to find them going at it like a pair of maddened wart-hogs.”

Satirist Southern also recalled “O’Neal’s coarse animal member [working] with such tumultuous abandon as to literally smash the darling girl against the sideboard at the very mo[ment] when yrs tly was pouring himself a short one!”

The mischievous missive was discovered by Man of the World magazine in Southern’s archives, and is being published in its issue out Sept. 15 — along with a 1985 letter to Southern written by William S. Burroughs, and a 1970 telegram from Yippie leader Abbie Hoffman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 21, 2019 11:48 PM

I bet Mick was SO envious!

Unless O'Neal got him next?

by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2019 11:59 PM

Did Ryan have a small wang? Is that why he was such a bitch all the time?

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2019 11:59 PM

R28 LMAO

by Anonymousreply 30August 22, 2019 12:03 AM

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 31August 30, 2019 2:46 AM

r10 said what I intended to post. In the first person Barry's narration would have lacked any self-awareness as the character had none. Michael Hordon's dispassionate observer could instead tell the story as a sympathetic but frank and honest biographer.

by Anonymousreply 32August 30, 2019 3:01 AM

I just tried to watch Barry Lyndon. God it's so slow. Great cinematography and locations but JEESUS it's boring. And Ryan's performance is all blank stares and god knows Marisa was never a good actress. I finally just went to wikipedia and read the plot. I like the ending where Marisa is old and still writing checks to the douche Lyndon. This movie really makes me dislike Kubrick. I've always thought he was overrated. For me, all of his films tell great stories but I always wish someone else had directed them lol.

Yeah, I don't know who is so obsessed with Ryan and Tatum, but because of these threads I've watched Paper Moon, What's Up Doc, partial Lyndon, and The Main event:

Paper Moon - great (would be fantastic but the bootlegger subplot drags down the last third after such an incredible 2/3)

What's Up Doc? - good (would be great if the last 20 minutes wasn't all bicycle chase etc -Kahn makes the film)

Barry Lyndon - hated it!

The Main Event - okay (what makes it better than it is is Babs rapid fire comic delivery. I was impressed with her and I don't even like her)

Next up Partners with John Hurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 30, 2019 3:33 AM

I agree the chase in What's Up Doc was overdone but they were parodying Bullet's car chase. You probably had to be there to fully appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 34August 30, 2019 3:52 AM

I saw What's Up Doc in the theater when it came out. I was 7.

So I WAS there, and still thought the chase was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 35August 30, 2019 4:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!