Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

German Actor Horst Buchholz

Charming, talented, bisexual actor Horst Buchholz won best actor at Cannes for Himmel ohne Sterne (Sky Without Stars). He had a long career in European and Hollywood cinema. He was offered Tony in West Side Story and Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia, but was otherwise engaged. Does anyone remember Horst?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2019 1:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 12, 2019 2:23 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 12, 2019 2:26 AM

He was in The Magnificent Seven.

by Anonymousreply 3August 12, 2019 2:26 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 12, 2019 2:36 AM

Is he publically out or are these just rumors? When I googled him one of the first hits was the wiki page of his deceased wife to whom he was married from 1958 until her death in 2003 - unless he was some unique bohemian type, I doubt he was openly bisexual in the 50s and during his marriage. Maybe he came out after her death but I couldn't find anything online...

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2019 12:31 AM

Usually reticent about his private life, in a 2000 interview in the German magazine Bunte Buchholz publicly came out, saying "Yes, I also love men. Ultimately, I'm bisexual. ... I have always lived my life the way I wanted." He explained that he and his wife of nearly 42 years had a stable and enduring arrangement, with her life centered in Paris and his in Berlin, the city that he loved.

Buchholz died unexpectedly at the age of 69 on March 3, 2003, in the Berlin Charité from pneumonia that developed after an operation for a hip fracture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2019 12:40 AM

Horst spoke no English during Tiger Bay and virtually none during Cheri. In both cases, had to learn his lines phonetically. I can't imagine Jerome Robbins dealing with that during West Side Story even if Robert Wise could.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2019 12:54 AM

He not on Y was in The Magnificent Seven, he HAD a magnificent seven!

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2019 1:17 AM

He was hung like a Horst!

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2019 1:23 AM

In his prime was stunningly handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2019 1:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!