Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Does anyone play the clarinet?

Dear clarinetist from DL, I play the alto recorder. Not by any means a musician, not even an amateur one - my playing could best be described as amateur-ish. I still would like to try the clarinet, for its beautiful sound. I realize I will never play so that it sounds beautiful, but could I at least have fun? How long does it take to master the mouthpiece? The keys?

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2019 2:12 AM

I love a piano

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2019 5:16 PM

FFS

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2019 5:18 PM

It seems very retro, OP, but good for you. You can teach yourself. The mouthpiece with reed technique might take a few days to get used to and master. The keys are easy, just need to learn the correct way to hold the clarinet.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2019 5:21 PM

I’d say 3 months of solid daily practice and professional instruction will have you able to play a tune, if you can already read. You definitely need to make sure you’re practicing long tones and breathe support. Nobody likes a squeaky queen.

And when you get sick of practicing, thats when your long term goals will motivate you. Are you trying to play in an orchestra, a local concert band, or a jazz ensemble? The concert band will by far be the easiest to participate in, but the repertoire will kind of plateau at 9th-10th grade level, and you might get sick of the repetition, e.g. holiday concerts.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2019 5:28 PM

Speaking of long term goals and motivation, playing a reed instrument is supposed to make you great at blow jobs. (Not that you're not great already--you're on DL, after all--but it will make you even better).

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2019 1:43 AM

I can, but haven't in years. I had piano and clarinet lessons as a child. I prefer to play piano.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2019 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!