Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Texas could go blue in 2020

by Harry Enten, CNN

August 8, 2019

Texas politics are in the spotlight again this week. A number of House Republicans from the state have announced their retirements, and, after a mass shooting in El Paso this past weekend, Beto O'Rourke tussled with President Donald Trump over differing responses to the shootings.

In the backdrop of these developments is a Texas electorate that seems to be divided much more than it used to be.

It's a state with a voter base that seems to rapidly be shifting toward the center -- and I believe it could go Democratic in next year's presidential election for the first time since 1976.

I was once a skeptic on Texas turning blue, but I've changed my tune because Trump is a uniquely unpopular Republican in Texas who seems to be the driver of an important development: Like other Americans, Texans with a college degree are shifting rapidly from red to blue, and Democrats have a lot of room to grow with them in Texas.

This doesn't mean the state will go Democratic in 2020 (Democrats not named Joe Biden currently are losing to Trump in the Lone Star state in high quality polling), but it is a real possibility.

Trump's net approval rating (approval - disapproval) among registered voters has been slightly negative in Texas throughout his presidency. The latest Quinnipiac University poll put it at -1 points. All other elected Texas Republican officials had at least a +8 point net approval rating. This poll comes on top of the 2018 exit poll giving Trump a +1 net approval rating, and the midterm electorate in Texas is likely more Republican leaning than a 2020 presidential electorate will be. Trump won the state by 9 in 2016.

If the 2020 election were held today and it were solely a referendum on Trump, Texas would be a toss-up.

Traditionally, Texas has been a lot more Republican than the nation as a whole. In 2014, for example, Democratic President Barack Obama's net approval rating was 18 points worse in Texas than nationally. In 2018, Trump, a Republican, was just 10 points higher in Texas. In other words, there was an 8-point shift toward the Democrats, on this measure, compared to the nation as a whole in just four years. This followed the 2016 presidential race being the closest in the state since the 1990s.

Trump's unusually low approval rating in 2018 created the environment in which Republican Sen. Ted Cruz won re-election by less than 3 points. It was the worst Republican performance in a Senate race in the state since 1988. In 2012, Cruz won his first term by 16 points. This 13 point pro-Democratic shift occurred even though Cruz was an incumbent (who usually do better) and the national environment (as measured by the presidential vote in 2012 and House vote in 2018) shifted by less than 5 points toward the Democrats. (As I've pointed out, this shift was driven mostly by opinions toward Trump, not towards the Texas Senate candidates running in 2018.)

Of course, just because the state became more blue doesn't mean it will keep moving blue into 2020. The reason I think it could shift more is because of why the state has been going blue over the last few years: the aforementioned highly-educated voters.

High-quality consistent public polling data of Texas isn't easy to find. And while county-by-county returns are not a perfect way of examining the issue, they are a powerful tool and are sending a very strong signal. Take a look at what occurred between the 2012 and 2018 Texas Senate races.

Traditionally, the thought was growing diversity (i.e. Hispanics becoming a bigger part of the electorate) would largely be responsible for turning Texas blue. That, though, could take years for Democrats and could be counteracted by whites becoming more Republican.

[Full article at link]:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2019 1:37 PM

They said similar of Florida after Parkland look what happened to Bill Nelson. Incumbents are hard as hell to unseat too. The R-Gov won as well.

Rethugs CHEAT. I REPEAT...… RETHUGS CHEAT!!!!! Texas was one of the states we know that had straight ticket voting switch from Dem to Rep . If the election were like in Arizona or Oregon (mail in ballots) then I 92% believe Texas would be blue. However, b/c they use voting machines and we saw what happened in Florida and Georgia, I will be skeptical that it will. I do think in 2024 it WILL be though.

by Anonymousreply 1August 10, 2019 1:10 AM

Demographics and prophesizing is irrelevant to elections. People need to stop having masturbatory fantasies about which states will go what color and focus on actually winning elections through actual legwork on the ground, rather than thinking they're going to get an easy win because...reasons.

What matters is a message that resonates with voters that is clear and consistent.

It would help if that message included specific policy ideas, but in the era of "fake news" and cheeto's presidency, sound, well-reasoned and debated policy is a distant second place.

by Anonymousreply 2August 10, 2019 1:17 AM

There are an awful lot white Texans who think Louie Gohmert is doing a swell job in Congress.

From Wiki:

"Representative Gohmert was one of three Republicans who called for the resignation of Robert Mueller, the prosecutor investigating Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, on the grounds that they believe Mueller can not conduct his investigation fairly "because of his relationship with James Comey, his successor at the bureau"[71] As of March 2016, "[s]ix people connected to President Trump have been charged by the special counsel with an array of crimes, including financial fraud and lying to Congress and investigators. Five have been convicted or pleaded guilty. Twenty-eight others, including 26 Russians, also face charges."[72] However, Mueller did not exonerate Trump on the issue of obstruction - a fact he reiterated during the House Judiciary Committee hearing. In a June 2019 interview with Politico, Gohmert referred to Mueller as an "anal opening."[73]"

Gohmert is the asshole, not Robert Mueller.

by Anonymousreply 3August 10, 2019 1:18 AM

I think a few of the candidates could take Texas in 2020 but only if they have the right running mate on their ticket; Beto O'Rourke, who is still extremely popular across the state among Democrats and party activists. And if the Democrats can take the electoral college votes from Texas away from Trump, the election would virtually be over.

Something BIden, Warren, or even Harris should consider.

by Anonymousreply 4August 10, 2019 1:29 AM

Beto should run against Cornyn for senate in Texas although Cornyn is by far better than Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 5August 10, 2019 1:35 AM

The central urban areas are blue. Suburbs and the rural parts are still red. Not seeing a blue wave here...yet.

by Anonymousreply 6August 10, 2019 1:40 AM

r5 There already is a Dem challenger to Cornyn and she's a war veteran. So I wish people would stop saying Beto should run for senate because that would mean he'd have to drop out of the presidential race, announce he wants a consolation prize that is the senate seat, and then shove Hegar out of the way. I don't know how someone could think this is acceptable behaviour in politics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 10, 2019 2:07 AM

How did Texas go from "Ann Richards" to "unassailable Republican stronghold" within a few years?

I mean, seriously. By the time Ann gave her "silver foot in his mouth" speech, the Reagan Revolution was already complete, and Dixiecrats were dead & buried, yet she was still the reigning Democratic Queen of Texas who could do no wrong. Was she just a cult of personality who defined Texas Democrats & died with no clear successor, or did something else happen to turn Texas red?

Growing up in the 80s & 90s, I *never* thought of Texas as a "Republican" state, let alone an unassailably-Republican one. It obviously wasn't like New York & California, where the Loony Left was firmly in control... but the Democrats clearly were in charge, even if they were ideologically almost indistinguishable from California & NY Republicans, and Texas REPUBLICANS were seen as total Jesus Freaks & corporate pawns.

Maybe that's the secret to turning Texas blue again... accept that it's not, never has, and never WILL be 'progressive' in any NY-CA sense of the word, and just let its Democrats be the sane centrists most Texans are (regardless of labels) & let Texan Republicans re-marginalize themselves as the Jesus Freak & shameless corporate overlord party.

by Anonymousreply 8August 10, 2019 2:18 AM

Texas, I can dream about you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 10, 2019 2:20 AM

I feel like this same article has been published every six months or so for the last 10 years. Still waiting for a blue Texas

by Anonymousreply 10August 10, 2019 2:34 AM

R10, Harry Enten isn't sayingt hat Texas *will* go blue in 2020, but he's saying it *could* go blue.

What's different this time is:

1) The Democrats came within only 3 points of Beto beating Cruz for the Texas Senate seat last year -- the best result for Dems in a couple decades.

2) A larger than usual number of Congressional seats in Texas are now opening up with the retirement of several Republican Congressman.

The odds still favor Trump & the Republicans in 2020 in TX, but it could be the most competitive TX race in many Presidential cycles.

by Anonymousreply 11August 10, 2019 2:54 AM

I don't see Texas "going blue" just yet, but does seem to me that the southwest (Texas, Arizona) is trending bluer and the midwest redder.

by Anonymousreply 12August 10, 2019 2:57 AM

Surre, Jan. They didn't even get rid of Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 13August 10, 2019 3:04 AM

I have been hearing this for years. i don't think so.

by Anonymousreply 14August 10, 2019 3:24 AM

Won’t TexMex Americans run from the Republican Party this time?

by Anonymousreply 15August 10, 2019 3:49 AM

r7, what exactly are you trying to imply?

by Anonymousreply 16August 10, 2019 1:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!