Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cocktail attire in 2019

This list was compiled by women. Do you agree?

The Approach: This is a by-the-book event that should run from five to eight p.m., before dinner, with women in dresses at- or slightly-below the knee and men in casual suits. Adjust to accommodate the season and location. If you know the host’s personality that can also give a clue into the general vibe of the party.

Gentlemen: A suit and oxfords are always a sure bet, but you can be creative and more casual. “Technically speaking for men, cocktail attire does not require a tie unless the word formal is written alongside it,” Meier says.

Options for summer cocktail, fancy cocktail, and formal cocktail follow!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2019 9:43 PM

Straight people are so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2019 9:32 PM

This is the perfect attire for cocktails.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2019 9:33 PM

Summer + suit = sweat

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2019 9:37 PM

LOL, they've basically told everyone to wear the same thing each time, with a couple of "you coulds" or "you mights" added in.

The vaguely worded dress code thing is one of my mother's pet peeves though her take is that basically that since no one actually knows WTF "Fancy and Fun Cocktail Attire!!!" means, you can pretty much wear whatever you want within reason and there will be other people there dressed the same way.

(Or as it concerns me, my brother and my father "you can wear a tie if you want, but I'll bet half the men there won't have one on and then half of the men who came with ties will remove theirs when they see that their friends aren't wearing one, so why bother?")

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2019 9:41 PM

I've never been invited to any of these type of events. I live in Los Angeles. It's usually either formal, business casual, casual or pool-party/beach. Mostly the latter. No one wants to party in formal wear for more than an hour or so. If at all.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2019 9:42 PM

Or the dreaded "Casual Formal Cocktail" party!

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2019 9:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!