Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bodies found in Canada believed to be teen suspects wanted for multiple murders, police say

Two bodies found in Canada are believed to be of the two teen suspects wanted for multiple murders, officials said at a press conference on Wednesday.

"At 10am this morning, Manitoba RCMP officers located the bodies of two males, believed to be the BC suspects, near the shoreline of the Nelson River (approx 8km from the burnt vehicle)," the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement on Twitter.

"The search is over," officials said.

Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, were wanted on Canada-wide warrants for second-degree murder in connection with the death of a man whose body was found along a highway near Dease Lake in northwest Canada on July 19.

The teens' truck camper was found in flames about 1.2 miles away from the body, identified as 64-year-old Leonard Dyck of Vancouver, according to police.

The teens, both Canadian, were also considered suspects in the shooting deaths of 24-year-old American Chynna Deese and her 23-year-old Australian boyfriend, Lucas Fowler, whose bodies were discovered July 15 along a highway near Liard Hot Springs, also in northwest Canada.

Canadian police had sent divers into a river over the weekend to search for signs of two teenage boys and discovered "several items" along the bank of the Nelson River, as well as a damaged aluminum boat, while conducting a helicopter search over Canada's northeast Manitoba province on Friday afternoon. Those items, which police confirmed are "directly linked to the suspects," were located six miles from where a burning vehicle belonging to the teens was found two weeks ago, police said.

After the discovery, "specialized RCMP teams begin searching nearby high-probability areas, leading officers to the discovery of the two male bodies, in the dense brush, within 1 km from where the items were found," police said.

Autopsies will be conducted to officially identify the remains and determine cause of death.

The teens' families hadn't heard from them in weeks, police said.

The last confirmed sighting of the fugitives occurred near Gillam on July 22, just before authorities discovered a car on fire in a remote area. Police later confirmed that the burning vehicle was the same one McLeod and Schmegelsky were last known to be travelling in.

Gillam, a riverside community of just over 1,200 people, is some 2,000 miles east of where the three bodies were found last month.

After a week of exhaustive ground and air search efforts of the dense forest, brush and bog surrounding the area, and no confirmed sightings, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Assistant Commissioner Jane MacLatchy announced that they would be scaling down the deployment of resources to Gillam. Investigators are considering the possibility that McLeod and Schmegelsky "had some sort of assistance to flee the area," MacLatchy said.

"To be clear, we're not ending the search -- a number of tactical resources and specialized assets will remain positioned in the Gillam area, and will continue with the efforts to locate the murder suspects," MacLatchy told reporters at a press conference on July 31. "But when searching for people in vast, remote and rugged locations, it is always a possibility that they are not immediately located."

In an emotional interview with The Canadian Press last Wednesday, Schmegelsky’s father said he believes his son, whom he described as an introvert, is on a “suicide mission” and intends to go out in a “blaze of glory” when police finally confront him.

“A normal child doesn’t travel across the country killing people. A child in some very serious pain does,” Alan Schmegelsky told The Canadian Press.

“Basically, he’s going to be dead today or tomorrow. I know that,” he added. “Rest in peace, Bryer. I love you. I’m so sorry all this had to happen. I’m so sorry that I couldn’t rescue you.”

Kam McLeod’s father told ABC News in a statement that he’s "staying close to the phone because I don’t want to miss a call if it is word about Kam."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2019 6:49 PM

"Blaze of Glory," indeed.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2019 9:40 PM

Shabby boys. They could have gone out like Butch and Sundance, not just two old althmeizers patients who lost their way in the woods.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote] “A normal child doesn’t travel across the country killing people. A child in some very serious pain does,” Alan Schmegelsky told The Canadian Press.

Ya think?

Fucking dumbass dad.

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2019 9:45 PM

Surely they didn’t die next to each other at roughly the same time.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Doesn't make sense.

Why go on the run for weeks and weeks and weeks, only to kill yourselves out of nowhere?

So. Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]"At 10am this morning..."

It certainly wasn't 10am at night.

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2019 9:51 PM

Something's not right here.

Who set the camper on fire? Surely, it wasn't the two teens.

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2019 9:58 PM

R6, ironically that’s one of my pet peeves. Unfortunately it doesn’t apply in this case.

10am this morning, as opposed to 10am yesterday morning or Sunday morning, etc. It makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2019 9:58 PM

[quote]Why go on the run for weeks and weeks and weeks, only to kill yourselves out of nowhere?

Maybe they were dead the whole time and their bodies were just discovered?

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2019 9:59 PM

I don't understand the nihilism that sends people on spree killings like this; kill a bunch of randos, then off yourself. Why? Just because you think life's meaningless doesn't mean everyone else does. It's sad that these kids had to take out their misery on people who were innocently going about their lives. The perpetrators in these cases almost always end up committing suicide. I suppose once they've killed one person and ripped the band-aid off, it opens up the potential for pandemonium. They simply can't care after that—they're going to prison if they get caught, so why not kill more? It's a fucked up thing.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2019 10:00 PM

So were they lovers or not?

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2019 10:42 PM

They're Canadian so of course.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2019 10:53 PM

Gordon Lightfoot gonna write a ballad now?

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2019 11:00 PM

[quote]Doesn't make sense. Why go on the run for weeks and weeks and weeks, only to kill yourselves out of nowhere? So. Dumb.

Maybe they didn't want to be caught and spend decades in prison.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2019 11:26 PM

They should receive the death penalty.

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2019 11:26 PM

No death penalty in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote] No death penalty in Canada

Well then I guess it's a good thing they're already dead.

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2019 11:29 PM

Yes, I know.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2019 11:31 PM

The end.

No podcast please.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2019 11:38 PM

i hope the end for both of them hurt really badly.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2019 11:43 PM

I wonder if they died of exposure or murder/suicide?

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2019 11:49 PM

The car they were in was burned, R21.

I honestly don't think that they would have burned themselves alive. It's just not a natural instinct for humans.

I think that someone found them and torched them while they slept.

Probably took the law into their own hands, so that the killers wouldn't be able to live their lives in jail.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2019 11:52 PM

I think it's entirely likely the Canadians were testing a doomsday virus on them, and they torched the bodies when the zombification process got out of control. They eventually knew they were Patient Zeroes so they offed themselves, sparing humanity the evil fate that Canada had devised.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2019 11:54 PM

No. The two twinks each had a rifle. Each one pointed the rifle at the other guy's head at close range and pulled the trigger after counting down 3...2...1...fire

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2019 11:57 PM

Pretty damn likely, the way you explain it, r23. Awww you made me LOL in a grim thread.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2019 11:59 PM

That should be a new show on AMC, R23.

The Walking Twinks.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2019 12:02 AM

Why does the story use both miles and kilometers?

Pick a unit of measurement!

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2019 12:02 AM

[quote] Why does the story use both miles and kilometers?

Canadians also post all signs in French and English.

It must be a thing over there.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2019 12:04 AM

"Les Aventures des Grands Vagabonds Nihilist", the new French-language CBUFT dramatic mini-series.

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2019 12:05 AM

It will be a dramatic movie about two Canadian teens Coming to Terms with Things before they ultimately succumb to their own hubris. The plot twist is that they both have fatal bowel cancer and were dying all along.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2019 12:09 AM

The autopsy will show that they died of exposure in the wild and overexposure in the media.

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2019 12:10 AM

[quote] I think it's entirely likely the Canadians were testing a doomsday virus on them, and they torched the bodies when the zombification process got out of control. They eventually knew they were Patient Zeroes so they offed themselves, sparing humanity the evil fate that Canada had devised.

Generation ZZZZZZZZZombie!!!

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2019 12:12 AM

They fucked to death.

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2019 12:16 AM

RIP to the victims. The two murderers are boring nobodies and won't gain any notoriety. Unless something juicy leaks. But yesterdays news already.

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2019 12:20 AM

[quote]“A normal child doesn’t travel across the country killing people. A child in some very serious pain does,” Alan Schmegelsky told The Canadian Press.

In the U.S., there's a politically motivated attempt to steer away from mental illness being a factor in someone going on a killing rampage. At least Canadians understand that normal people don't do that.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2019 12:22 AM

What's the matter with Manitoba? I understand they may not have canyons, but what about cliffs and valleys? No precipices? If you want to go out with a blaze of glory, then do it, damn it! Drive to a parking garage, and drive off the top floor!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2019 12:22 AM

[quote]No death penalty in Canada.

No death penalty in any Western country except the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2019 12:39 AM

[quote] Probably took the law into their own hands, so that the killers wouldn't be able to live their lives in jail.

It's Canada. In several years when the heat was off they'd have been released with new identities and homes provided by the government. Protecting the killers is more the concern than protecting the public.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2019 12:46 AM

R38 = Conservative Party HQ

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2019 12:50 AM

One of them was a little hottie. It's sad to hear this.

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2019 1:45 AM

Death by hypothermia.

by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2019 6:57 AM

We'll have to wait for the autopsy results first. Who knows how long that will take.

by Anonymousreply 42August 8, 2019 6:59 AM

Bet they were in a hideous state when found

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote] they were in a hideous state when found

Yes. Canada

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2019 9:58 PM

Postmortem results out!

by Anonymousreply 45August 12, 2019 10:05 PM

Well TELL US, R45!

by Anonymousreply 46August 12, 2019 10:15 PM

R44= Conservative Party troll?

by Anonymousreply 47August 12, 2019 10:17 PM

Suicide by gunfire, as expected.

by Anonymousreply 48August 12, 2019 10:22 PM

Shot themselves

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49August 12, 2019 10:23 PM

[quote]located six miles from where a burning vehicle belonging to the teens was found

This is the car they found the leftover pork chops and orange peels from their “last meal” in?

[quote]2,000 miles east of where the three bodies were found last month

Damn, that’s a lot of driving.

by Anonymousreply 50August 12, 2019 10:34 PM

They lived a few days after the car burned, it seems they lived out in the wilderness for a egile before they shot themselves

by Anonymousreply 51August 12, 2019 10:37 PM

They probably got tired of each other's stench, being on the road for a month.

by Anonymousreply 52August 12, 2019 10:40 PM

OP is worse than the other OP who is worse than Hitler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53August 12, 2019 11:18 PM

I think they killed themselves in a repressed, homosexual, suicide pact.

by Anonymousreply 54August 12, 2019 11:25 PM

Any new pics of them?

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2019 11:33 PM

I wonder if they had just killed Deese and Fowler and not set their pickup truck on fire and killed the UBC lecturer, if the RCMP would have been able to figure out they were the killers. Maybe not. I doubt there were witnesses.

Maybe two murders weren't enough for them

by Anonymousreply 56August 13, 2019 1:43 AM

R56 I agree, if there was nothing conne ting them to these crimes its doubtful

by Anonymousreply 57August 13, 2019 6:09 AM

R53, you waited for 52 posts and almost a week to claim there’s another thread?

I don’t know if you’re patient or just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 58August 13, 2019 11:01 AM

No please don't let it be!!!

by Anonymousreply 59August 13, 2019 12:21 PM

[quote]I don’t know if you’re patient or just dumb.

Neither.

by Anonymousreply 60August 13, 2019 9:08 PM

Were they cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 61August 13, 2019 9:25 PM

^^Now I feel like I’m back on DL.

Luv ya, r61!

by Anonymousreply 62August 13, 2019 10:14 PM

Thank you R62 I was deemed a troll on the other thread because I enquired how the guys took care of their personal hygiene whilst on their road trip. If we can't enquire after good penile hygiene, who can?

by Anonymousreply 63August 13, 2019 11:53 PM

They were both 6'4".

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2019 1:37 AM

Really, r64?!

Damn. They don’t look that tall at all. Is that still considered a twink?

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2019 11:27 AM

People in THIS thread as so ignorant. We’d never have a post like r65 in the real thread.

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2019 3:14 PM

Did the RCMP ever release the final video of the pair?

by Anonymousreply 67September 19, 2019 12:05 AM

There's no such word as "whilst".

by Anonymousreply 68September 19, 2019 12:09 AM

Police believe McLeod shot Schmegelsky before killing himself.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2019 10:01 PM

RCMP thinks murders were crimes of opportunity and not premeditated.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2019 10:02 PM

Latest news is here on the big thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 27, 2019 10:05 PM

I'm boycotting the big thread.

by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2019 10:09 PM

One of them was hot. It's always a shame when a hot young guy kills himself. I still think about Eric Harris.

by Anonymousreply 73September 28, 2019 3:14 AM

Which one do you think was hot, R73?

I don't think it's a shame they died in a suicide pact. I misunderstood the whole "crime of opportunity, not premeditated" part. I thought maybe they had decided to rob Fowler and Deese, maybe the couple resisted, things escalated and the couple were shot. However, it looks like they had planned to murder all along because they legally bought a semi-automatic rifle not long after leaving Port Alberni. They stole Leonard Dyck's digital camera and made six videos. They admitted on the videos that they killed the three people in B.C. and said they felt no remorse (ie. it wasn't a robbery that had gone wrong). When they were in the wilderness in northern Manitoba, they were debating whether to turn back and kill more people or hijack a boat on Hudson Bay and escape to Europe or Africa. What a couple of idiots. The maddening thing is they don't clearly state a motive -- did they just want to be notorious serial killers and thought they would never be caught. Were they incels getting revenge on society?

by Anonymousreply 74September 28, 2019 6:38 PM

Schmegelsky and McLeod are covered from 8:04 - 10:00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 28, 2019 6:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!