Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More news about casting for the the "Rebecca" remake

Lily James and Armie Hammer had already been announced as the 2nd Mrs. de Winter and Maxim, but I saw on imdb the rest of the cast has been announced.

Kristin Scott-Thomas will be Mrs. Danvers, and (excitingly) Ann Dowd will be Mrs. van Hopper. Keely Hawes is inevitably in this, as Max's sister Beatrice (played by Gladys Cooper in the original). Sam Riley will be Rebecca's nasty cousin, Jack Favell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2019 2:08 PM

Nobody asked for a remake of a classic.

by Anonymousreply 1August 7, 2019 7:47 PM

There have been several remakes of it since 1940 on television--at least three I can think of.

There's no such thing as a moratorium on new screen adaptations of classic novels. The British film and television industry would disappear if they stopped making adaptations of Jane Austen's and Charles Dickens's works.

by Anonymousreply 2August 7, 2019 7:56 PM

So, this will be the 3rd one?

1) Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson, George Sanders

2) Charles Dance, Emilia Fox, Diana Rigg, Jonathan Cake

and ...

by Anonymousreply 3August 7, 2019 7:57 PM

Lily James? Well, she can only be an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 4August 7, 2019 8:00 PM

These are just for US and UK television, in addition to the 1940 movie with Joan Fontaine, Laurence Olivier and Judith Anderson and the 1997 TV adaptation with Emilia Fox, Charles Dance, and Diana Rigg:

1948, TV: Dorothy Gordon (2nd Mrs. de Winter), Michael Hordern (Max), Dorothy Black (Mrs. danvers)

1950, TV, as an episode of "Robert Montgomery Presents": Barbara Bel Geddes (2nd Mrs. De Winter), Peter Cookson (Max), Edith King (Mrs. Danvers)

1962, TV: Joan Hackett (the 2nd Mrs. de Winter), James Mason (Max), Nina Foch (Mrs. Danvers)

1979, lavish mini-series for the BBC: Joanna David (the 2nd Mrs. de Winter), Jeremy Brett (Max), Anna Massey (Mrs. Danvers). This was quite famous in its day, and was aired in the US as one of the first series on the PBS "Mystery!" show.

I also found other TV adaptations of "Rebecca" in the US and the UK with casts I think no one would recognize from 1952, 1954, and 1956. And there are multiple adaptations for foreign television.

It's been adapted so many times that one more is pretty much no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 5August 7, 2019 8:16 PM

Ben Wheatley's an interesting and strange director, I think he might surprise us with this

by Anonymousreply 6August 7, 2019 8:31 PM

Armie Hammer as a brooding English gent? Is he still playing in Death On The Niles too?

by Anonymousreply 7August 7, 2019 8:49 PM

Lily James is far too pretty to be the 2nd Mrs de Winter. She’s meant to be a bit of a mouse.

by Anonymousreply 8August 7, 2019 8:57 PM

Cuz, like the old one has no color 'n shit. And everyone is dead!

by Anonymousreply 9August 7, 2019 9:10 PM

Joan Fontaine was a pretty woman. And so was Joanna David, and so was Emilia Fox.

The 2nd Mrs de Winter doesn't have to be ugly or even plain: she just has to be mousey to contrast with the glamorous memory of Rebecca.

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2019 9:17 PM

The cast sounds amazing except for Armie Hammer. Might as well have a loaf of Wonder Bread in the role.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2019 9:23 PM

I should have explained what I meant better, R10.

All those women have understated looks...English rose types.

Lily James is quite exotic looking - more beautiful than pretty, imo. Can’t imagine her be intimidated by the glamour of Rebecca.

Not saying 2nd Mrs was meant to be ugly or plain - but she certainly wasn’t beautiful. It was her calmness that appealed to Maxim.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2019 9:26 PM

I absolutely love this story, and am very excited for a remake. Hammer seems to be an odd choice, as he seems a bit young for Max (although I don't actually know his age off the top of my head). Ann Dowd will be awesome, I'm sure. Not entirely sold on Scott-Thomas as Mrs. D., but I do enjoy her as an actress so I would definitely be willing to watch. I really liked the version with Fox, Rigg and Dance.

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2019 9:31 PM

Would have loved to see Jodie Comer instead of Lily James. I do like Lily but she is limited and Comer deserves a great film part like this one.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2019 9:42 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2019 10:15 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2019 10:16 PM

Mrs. De Winter... hmph!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2019 10:44 PM

Well, excuse the fuck out of me for having an opinion that’s different to yours, R16.

What is it with people like you? Did you scour the internet for that? Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2019 10:52 PM

And I bet you haven’t even read the book...just going by the movies & shows.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2019 10:55 PM

Love Jane Lapotaire! Hope her part is substantial.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2019 10:58 PM

[bold]You[/bold] are clearly the one who is hurling childish invective and having a tantrum because someone is disagreeing with you, r18--not I.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2019 10:58 PM

One of the amazing things about Fontaine's performance in the original movie--to my mind the best performance Hitchcock ever got out of an actress (with the possible exceptions of Teresa Wright and Patricia Collinge in "Shadow of a Doubt")--is that though she actually was a great beauty at the time, she had you convinced of her mousiness by her manner. She holds herself with her spine compressed and her shoulders hunched, and radiates underconfidence--she seems like she could never be a threat to someone like Rebecca in terms of looks. In the scene where she wears the black evening dress with the string of pearls, she looks slightly silly (which is how Max sees her). And even in the great scene where she comes down the staircase for the costume ball radiantly happy, she still looks awkward and like a little girl.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote] And I bet you haven’t even read the book...just going by the movies & shows.

You lost that bet.

I am a college English professor and I have [italic]taught[/italic] the Daphne Du Maurier novel, as well as Hitchcock's movie adaptation of it.

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2019 11:01 PM

Why would the beautiful man playing the lead role want with this new thing?

Her mouth can barely cover her buck-teeth. And the inappropriate flapper haircut can barely cover her wide cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2019 11:20 PM

[quote] I have [italic] taught [/italic] the Daphne Du Maurier novel,

Well, rooty-kazooty for you.

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2019 11:31 PM

I've heard Keely Hawes is a pushy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2019 12:49 AM

Kristin Scott-Thomas will be Mrs. Danvers

PERFECT

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2019 2:33 AM

Wait until you see my remake of "Summertime."

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2019 2:41 AM

But when are we going to get the musical?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2019 2:43 AM

Mrs Danvers should be played by a lez, not that pretentious bitch KST.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2019 6:14 AM

^ KST can't afford to be a 'pretentious bitch' anymore.

She's withered and 60!

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2019 6:36 AM

Mrs. Danvers should be played by Eddie Izzard

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2019 8:17 AM

^ Oh no, Izzard has become too precious now that he's been adopted by Corbyn's crumbling Labour Party.

This comedian makes a better Danvers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2019 8:48 AM

Elisabeth Moss would make a great 2nd Mrs. DeWinter. Glenn Close would be a great Mrs. Danvers

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2019 10:07 AM

I like how you think 34.

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2019 3:28 PM

Glennie would have been great!

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2019 5:44 PM

I think Glenn would have been over the top. You need someone colder and more restrained. I'm betting KST will be great.

I am not sanguine about Armie Hammer, however.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2019 6:30 PM

Maybe Armie will do some nudity to liven up his performance.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2019 6:31 PM

Did Rebecca really have cancer or was the Doctor covering?

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2019 7:29 PM

R23 Dear English professor, did you teach about the very strong parallels between Du Maurier's story and Bronte's 'Jane Eyre'?

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2019 10:28 PM

Armie Hammer is too young, Lily James is too old. Miscast. Joke movie.

by Anonymousreply 41August 22, 2019 5:09 PM

zzzzzzzzzzz

Why do they BOTHER with shit like this? Has ANY remake ever improved on the original?

by Anonymousreply 42August 22, 2019 5:14 PM

R39 IIRC she was actually sick, and she hid it from Max, for some reason. She was just an all-around twat, that one.

by Anonymousreply 43August 22, 2019 6:27 PM

Anne Hathaway to play Rebecca

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2019 4:11 PM

No, Anne Hathaway looks like a Tuberculosis Victim.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 10:11 PM

I agree with the posters above, Lily James and Armie Hammer do not inspire confidence. I'd wager the supporting cast will be much more interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2019 10:20 PM

If they do flashbacks of Rebecca, Gal Gadot should play her.

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2019 10:35 PM

Is this for movie theaters or Netflix or Tv?

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2019 11:52 PM

Am I the only one who thought the original was boring?

by Anonymousreply 49August 24, 2019 12:15 AM

No, you're not, R49. Hitchcock said it was a 90 minute story stretched out to 130 minutes.

We need to blame the schmucky Selznick for that.

by Anonymousreply 50August 24, 2019 12:18 AM

[quote] Is this for movie theaters or Netflix or Tv?

Netflix, but in some markets Netflix gives a theatrical run.

by Anonymousreply 51August 24, 2019 12:39 AM

You shut the fuck up

by Anonymousreply 52August 24, 2019 11:44 PM

R52 Who you talking to?

by Anonymousreply 53August 24, 2019 11:46 PM

No one, I'm hungover and just wanted to type that.

by Anonymousreply 54August 24, 2019 11:47 PM

Helen Mirren for Mrs Danvers, maybe with some nudity thrown in to keep the lads happy.

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2019 12:38 PM

The movie has already been completed, you fucking tortoise.

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2019 12:40 PM

R56 I'm just early for the next remake!

by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2019 12:58 PM

"I'm still around!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 10, 2019 7:53 PM

Armie is in the George Sanders role, yes?

by Anonymousreply 59December 10, 2019 10:01 PM

It's not that the second Mrs. de Winter is mousy, it's that she's middle class and painfully conscious of being an outsider among aristocrats.

by Anonymousreply 60December 10, 2019 10:04 PM

Matt Smith or B. Cummerbund would have been interesting Lavells, out bitch/queening the excellent George Sanders

by Anonymousreply 61December 10, 2019 11:10 PM

I was hoping for a Lady Gaga (2nd Mrs de Winter) - Madonna (Mrs Danvers) collaboration.

by Anonymousreply 62December 10, 2019 11:15 PM

Will Netflix fuck it up like that steaming hot turd, The Haunting of Hill House ? The book was great but the Netflix version had no relation to Jackson's story whatsoever. I hope they actually follow the book and don't do some weird spin.

by Anonymousreply 63December 10, 2019 11:25 PM

R62 Madonna and Dame Judith Anderson in the same part. Now that's a visual I never thought I'd make. What's next for her? Memnet in a remake of "The Ten Commandments" or Buffalo Cow Head in "A Man Called Horse"? Actually Buffalo Cow Patty might be more like it.....

by Anonymousreply 64December 12, 2019 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!