Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lee Pace - As Gay White Male I've Always Felt SAFE

Asked about his queer identity and playing queer roles, Pace says he’s never felt uncomfortable about it, despite reports to the contrary.

“I’ve always felt very safe, you know?” he explains. “I was in the drama department in high school. I went to Julliard. I’ve been playing queer characters. My first movie I played a trans character.”

“I’ve never felt the danger of that, you know? So, to walk in the shoes of someone who that danger is so real that he can’t utter it, it taught me something about myself and about my community… We’re not all so lucky to get the free pass in life.”

Pace says it’s important for members of the LGBTQ community to be kinder to one another.

“As a community, we can be very unkind to each other,” he says. “It’s very judgmental to kind of look at someone and [think] you oughta do it like this… there’s a more gentle way to be.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 21, 2019 12:54 AM

Someone doesn’t know how to spell Juilliard.

by Anonymousreply 1August 6, 2019 7:15 PM

If that were true, he wouldn't have stayed in the closet and beard in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 2August 6, 2019 7:36 PM

Is the word GAY mentioned at least once?

by Anonymousreply 3August 6, 2019 7:40 PM

R2 I think it's partly because he was very convincing playing straight romantic leads and had success early on in those roles. I don't blame him for keeping that rouse going because he was on a roll career-wise in those days.

by Anonymousreply 4August 6, 2019 7:52 PM

R4 but now he is taking advantage of all the gay roles that are coming his way (now that he is no longer a "leading man")

by Anonymousreply 5August 6, 2019 7:55 PM

[quote] I think it's partly because he was very convincing playing straight romantic leads and had success early on in those roles. I don't blame him for keeping that rouse going because he was on a roll career-wise in those days.

[bold]Not partly[/bold], it has everything to do with it. He never felt safe being an out actor because he knew he was not safe being an out actor. None of the roles after a Soldier's Girl would have landed on his lap if he were out. He's an idiot for doing this interview.

by Anonymousreply 6August 6, 2019 8:00 PM

R5 True to a degree but he's in a damn if he does and damn if he doesn't situation. Like I say, the "problem" if one could call it that, is because he's very convincing as a straight romantic lead and checked all the boxes of the qualities for a potential male star. Acting chops, charisma, and looks. Now it does seem that coming out has limited his roles, I don't know if casting people see him in the same light as they did at the start of his career when he was being recognized as a possible next big thing.

by Anonymousreply 7August 6, 2019 8:01 PM

How dare he be white, OP! HOW DARE HE!!

by Anonymousreply 8August 6, 2019 8:02 PM

He's had an odd career. He has probably made a fortune from the Marvel movies and from The Hobbit movies, but I bet very few people would recognize him on the street. Neither of his TV series (Pushing Daisies and Halt and Catch Fire) caught on with the public.

by Anonymousreply 9August 6, 2019 8:05 PM

He could probably retire and live very lavishly on his Hobbit franchise $$$ if he was smart enough to be paid partly in residuals and percentage of gross.

by Anonymousreply 10August 6, 2019 8:11 PM

He was never a conventional male lead. Wasn't he already playing a bisexual character on TV when he came out during the Broadway run of Angelis In America? I don't think he's lost out by coming out. He was already going more of a character route, at least in his biggest projects (like The Hobbit).

by Anonymousreply 11August 6, 2019 8:27 PM

Say what you will about Colton, but at least he kept his mouth shut about things he could have been criticised for pre coming out. It's silly for Pace to say he's always felt safe. I didn't follow him and Armitage closely but I remember when people were going crazy about a pic of them skiing with friends. The female friend who posted it took the pic down in a matter of hours. Pace has not at all always been comfortable in the environments he's been in, least of all Hollywood/The Celebrity Game.

by Anonymousreply 12August 6, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote] Say what you will about Colton,

OK.

He's a stupid, untalented, and berserkly thirsty druggie mess whose only asset is his body.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to get that off my chest!

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2019 12:06 AM

When he was sleeping with casting directors to get roles (like the one at Playwrights back when) and then went out in public with them, did he think nobody noticed?

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2019 12:09 AM

where is the link to the actual article?

by Anonymousreply 15August 7, 2019 2:30 AM

Pretty, entitled, white Juilliard actor says what?

He sounds like a nag, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 16August 7, 2019 2:34 AM

Where is this from?

by Anonymousreply 17August 7, 2019 11:05 AM

He sure looks good in those shorts!

by Anonymousreply 18August 7, 2019 11:24 AM

FF OP for not providing a link to the source.

by Anonymousreply 19August 7, 2019 12:03 PM

Exactly my thought r2.

He still felt the need to try to hide his sexuality, that says it all. You didn't feel that safe in being gay.

by Anonymousreply 20August 7, 2019 12:45 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2019 1:10 PM

he's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2019 1:11 PM

Nah, it's from Variety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2019 1:12 PM

[quote]As Gay White Male I've Always Felt SAFE

It's not because he's gay and white. It's because he's coincidentally a gay guy in super "faggy" jobs like acting / dancing / cutting hair or whatever. Being gay and white in a pussy setting and being gay and white somewhere like a small town or when you work in a factory are completely different.

Stupid asshole title of the thread. Did he actually say that? Fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2019 1:17 PM

How nice for Lee, how nice for everybody

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2019 1:18 PM

They don't cut hair in small towns?

by Anonymousreply 26August 7, 2019 1:19 PM

[quote]I’ve always felt very safe, you know?”

No, we don't know.

So, tell us, why did it take so long for you to admit to being gay? Why did you skirt the issue for so long? Why did you feel it necessary to maintain the image of being straight.

Also, be certain to provide an answer that doesn't contradict your willingness to speak of your sexuality NOW while previously so reticent. If your personal life, privacy, or what have you were so important that you didn't speak of your sexual orientation, why aren't those now an issue.

ALWAYS felt safe, my ass.

by Anonymousreply 27August 7, 2019 2:42 PM

Then why did he wait until he was almost 40 to come out and only after he was outed by a reporter?

by Anonymousreply 28August 7, 2019 3:08 PM

His comments show how even when these guys come out the comments they make are still for the mainstream, who'll swallow that tripe.

by Anonymousreply 29August 7, 2019 3:16 PM

He actually never says gay - it is always queer - and it almost seems intentional at this point. That always signals bisexuality to me or at least not exclusive homosexuality so I tune out immediately. If he still thinks he has the option of dating or marrying a woman then the red flag of internalized homophobia rears its ugly head and I stop listening. I mean, he still won't specify that the "person" he is currently dating is a man because of "privacy" so he can fuck off. He keeps things so vague that it could be just like a script for a role he is playing and nothing he says feels authentic. Even when he got to Angels in America in the podcast, he immediately defends the closeted mormon and uses that criticize the "queer" community for being too judgmental in expecting people to come out and not be evil closet cases instead of, you know, lamenting actual homophobia. I guess there is a reason he never discusses these issues because he comes off as an idiot...

by Anonymousreply 30August 7, 2019 4:38 PM

Let's be honest, the lack of specificity is more likely down to wanting his female fans to cling to the "I've dated women" line.

by Anonymousreply 31August 7, 2019 4:51 PM

The intentional vagueness is a complete turn off and your right he is trying to signal bisexuality but when has he ever been linked to a girlfriend? Seems like a dick move as does this article where of course he didn’t feel safe, I’d have more respect for him if he said he did fear his career would tank and even if gay celebrities don’t like it, they have a duty as public figures who have a voice in society to standup for those who don’t. It’s a debt we all have to pay for those who have fought and died for our rights.

by Anonymousreply 32August 7, 2019 10:00 PM

I find it hypocritical and fake to say shit like "Oh yea I felt safe as a kweer white guy" but like dude you didn't come out until someone cornered you in an interview, and plus it was literally like 17 years into your career... you don't feel safe because if you did you wouldn't be using dumb words like queer to refer to yourself and the community. (in my op i hate the word queer and i wouldnt like someone referring to me as such) if you felt "safe" you wouldn't have dodged the topic so many times. You can't say shit like "oh as a white guy who's queer i'm lucky i was never harrassed ect ect" when nobody mainstream knew you were fucking gay!! He's saying this shit for woke points and I dislike it alot. I love him as a person and actor and I truly admire him but that shit needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2019 3:14 PM

"I love him as a person" needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2019 3:18 PM

6' 5" strong handsome rich white man says what about feeling safe?

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2019 3:21 PM

Is that a massive fat soft cock in the shorts being highlighted by the sun, and even a cock head? Or just fortuitous framing and folding.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2019 3:24 PM

PDA ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2019 3:49 PM

Those pics look utterly spontaneous.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2019 3:55 PM

Was that for a photoshoot? damn, mf is looking rough, I thought he was sort of cute before but now he looks older than Lee:(

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2019 3:59 PM

Must have felt really safe in the closet

by Anonymousreply 40August 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Another interview. I'm ashamed to admit I've never seen him in anything but "Soldier's Girl". I thought he was a wispy thing who played in indie films. He's definitely filled-out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 17, 2019 4:35 PM

He had ZERO charisma on Colbert the other night. He was the 3rd guest after 2 c-listers and he seemed stoned and low energy. Lousy posture as well.

His bf shouldn't dress like that, Thom Browne PR. It's ridiculous. Lee isn't embarrassed? Tacky.

by Anonymousreply 42August 17, 2019 9:44 PM

I’m loving that Lee’s into meth now.

by Anonymousreply 43August 18, 2019 11:55 AM

[quote]Pace is the son of Charlotte (née Kloeckler), a schoolteacher, and James Roy Pace, an engineer.... As a child, Pace spent several years in Saudi Arabia, where his father worked in the oil business

"As A RICH White Male I've Always Felt Safe" <-- Fixed

by Anonymousreply 44August 18, 2019 12:15 PM

I've never heard of this man outside of Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 45August 18, 2019 12:24 PM

[quote] Matthew is a fashion executive for Thom Browne

That would be the only excuse for that outfit and even then

by Anonymousreply 46August 18, 2019 12:39 PM

R30: Queer is very useful for actors because, first, it seems to mean something different for every person, and second it avoids criticism for previous bearding.

If you do it right (like Lucas Hedges, even if he never used the term queer) you even get avoid criticism from playing gay roles all the time and at the same time you skip gay rumours (if you want to date a girl, is not bearding because you are queer, or in his case, in the spectrum; and if you want to date a guy, it's perfectly ok because you came out long time ago).

That's the reason only people like Connor Jessup or Ben Platt are coming out as gay, because they never do the fake relationships route

by Anonymousreply 47August 18, 2019 12:47 PM

I loathe that words like "gay" and "bi" have become almost radioactive. A while back I heard someone described as an advocate for the "Pride community." It's like a weird mutation of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" - "Don't Say Gay or Bi".

by Anonymousreply 48August 18, 2019 3:16 PM

The Republiparents really did a number on their kids in the 80's and 90's. They probably said stuff like, "Don't wear that, honey- that's so gay". Then it entered their lexicon.

As they try to surface from the abuse, all they can manage to admit is bi, fluid, non-binary, trans, questioning, queer... but never g... g... ga-

by Anonymousreply 49August 18, 2019 5:02 PM

Even coming out as bi seems to be rare, due to the stigma that comes with the label.

by Anonymousreply 50August 18, 2019 5:07 PM

To be fair, coming out as bi only was something that female pop singers did (and in some cases was pure straight male fantasy)

by Anonymousreply 51August 18, 2019 5:15 PM

That has nothing to do with men shying away from the bi word. In celebrityland, bi and gay are avoided because neither "sell".

by Anonymousreply 52August 18, 2019 5:25 PM

To be fair, queer doesn't sell either (unless you are a female pop star) It's simply more comfortable for them and gives them room to date anyone (or "date" the opposite sex for publicity).

Right now is on fashion and in two like the "i don't like labels" was in fashion before

by Anonymousreply 53August 18, 2019 5:29 PM

Right now is on fashion like the "i don't like labels" was in fashion before.

Hopefully nobody will follow the Sam Smith route and come out as something different every year (and i like Sam, and it was great that he came out at the beginning of his career but enough is enough(

by Anonymousreply 54August 18, 2019 5:30 PM

This is such utter horseshit. Yes, I'm sure growing up in Texas during the 80's and 90's was a gay haven of inclusiveness.

Is he implying that only non-white gays face discrimination or violence? Or is he referring to the trans experience?

As a gay white man, I've never felt 100% safe. This is something that straight white men must feel.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2019 5:39 PM

He went to the same high school Matt Boomer went, and Matt doesn't seem to keen of this period of his life

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2019 5:41 PM

R56 and the same high school as Jim Parsons, who doesn't have a lot of good to say about that time either.

by Anonymousreply 57August 18, 2019 6:27 PM

Didn’t Lee grow up all over the place?

by Anonymousreply 58August 19, 2019 5:35 AM

I don't get DL. Once someone is out you all start to hate on them. Lee is out and proud and showing PDA with his boyfriend. Why can't we praise him for that instead of criticizing him?

by Anonymousreply 59August 19, 2019 6:45 AM

Lee Pace, Build Series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 19, 2019 6:54 AM

Jealousy R59 it’s pure and simple, at least I know I am. That being said he should of came out sooner plus the whole queer or bi thing.

by Anonymousreply 61August 19, 2019 10:05 AM

they're not in each others instagrams so there's still hope 😂

by Anonymousreply 62August 19, 2019 12:34 PM

I don't think normal gay folks "hate" Lee Pace nor are they envious. I think many found his years of mealy mouthed statements annoying, that is all.

by Anonymousreply 63August 19, 2019 12:39 PM

R59: I would agree with you, but in this case i don't think it's hate on Lee but mocking on what he said (which is not true at all).

Some actors and singers after years and years in the closet seem to have a tendency to overcompensate.

Lee didn't even came out after Sir Ian McKellen slip when he talked about all the gay actors in The Hobbit

by Anonymousreply 64August 19, 2019 1:22 PM

It's the ugly boyfriend we hate but I believe when the richlee argument was around alot scurried to take Lee's side 🤷🏽‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 65August 19, 2019 1:24 PM

It's not uncommon for newly out gays to lie about how good they've had it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 19, 2019 1:50 PM

They are still playing to the enemy, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 67August 19, 2019 1:51 PM

R65 Fuck off and go back to reddit! Don't pretend that everybody here hates Matt only because you do. And don't pretend that you are still a "fan" of Lee when all that you do is spreading hate.

by Anonymousreply 68August 19, 2019 2:10 PM

He should stay out of the sun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 19, 2019 4:45 PM

[Quote] don't pretend that you are still a "fan" of Lee when all that you do is spreading hate.

Did you just stumble on this site?

by Anonymousreply 70August 19, 2019 4:53 PM

Lee seems to have swallowed a lot of the (LG)BTQ+ crap they've been touting out in recent years. Someone really guilted him into believing his anxiety around his sexual orientation is of little importance because he's white, middle class and male. Now he's overcompensating with the I've always felt safe baloney.

by Anonymousreply 71August 19, 2019 5:12 PM

R70 For sure not. But obviously you don't know what's going on at reddit in the Lee Pace "fan" subreddit that migrated there from DL ...

by Anonymousreply 72August 19, 2019 5:14 PM

[Quote] what's going on at reddit in the Lee Pace "fan" subreddit that migrated there from DL

What's going on? Witchcraft?

by Anonymousreply 73August 19, 2019 5:19 PM

judge for yourself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 19, 2019 5:25 PM

R73 You do realize that, now that you know our secret, I'll be forced to turn you into a toad, right? (*lol*)

P.S.: If you want, I can make it a gecko, a guinea pig, a hamster, etc... I'm not traditional!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75August 19, 2019 7:48 PM

Looks like he's trying a butch new image. Maybe he's afraid being out will cost him good roles.

by Anonymousreply 76August 19, 2019 9:23 PM

r74 Holy shit. That is quite a disturb fandom.

by Anonymousreply 77August 19, 2019 10:35 PM

He had a sweet spot of attractiveness about 10 years ago. He's terribly groomed in recent years. His beards are horrible and the eyebrow situation, though unique, is just too cave man.

by Anonymousreply 78August 19, 2019 10:38 PM

Queer on a train

by Anonymousreply 79August 19, 2019 10:43 PM

r77 Apparently they are DLers - the same ones that have been stalking Pace for years.

by Anonymousreply 80August 20, 2019 9:57 PM

r80 The vitriol againstMatt Foley is not just borderline crazy, it's full on insanity. They're even messaging Lee telling he shouldn't be with Matt because for all kinds of deranged ideas. I felt horrified reading it.

by Anonymousreply 81August 20, 2019 11:08 PM

To be honest it feels like they are one step from stalker attack, they are so deranged.

by Anonymousreply 82August 20, 2019 11:10 PM

Why Lee? Is it lord of the rings geek twats now gone over the edge?

by Anonymousreply 83August 20, 2019 11:16 PM

I never understand when "fans" talk about other "fans".

by Anonymousreply 84August 20, 2019 11:24 PM

r84 They're fans of the fans. Next step they'll stalk said fans on reddit. LOL

by Anonymousreply 85August 21, 2019 12:34 AM

Salad days..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 21, 2019 12:45 AM

R81 No one is messaging Lee. What kind of bullshit are you spewing? Liar.

by Anonymousreply 87August 21, 2019 12:49 AM

it's nice to see a white gay not act like a victim for once

by Anonymousreply 88August 21, 2019 12:52 AM

R81 Hello, Libra.

by Anonymousreply 89August 21, 2019 12:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!