Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘I don’t smell!’ Meet the people who have stopped washing

A growing number of people are eschewing soap and trusting bacteria to do the job instead – and an entire industry has sprung up to accommodate them

[quote]David Whitlock has not showered or bathed for 15 years, yet he does not have body odour. “It was kind of strange for the first few months, but after that I stopped missing it,” he says. “If I get a specific part of my body dirty, then I’ll wash that specific part” – but never with soap. As well as germs, soap gets rid of the skin’s protective oils and alters its pH level. Although Whitlock appreciated gaining an extra 15 minutes a day from soap-dodging, his primary motivation was to encourage friendly microbes to live on him in symbiotic harmony. The bacteria get to feast on the ammonia from his sweat and he gets low-maintenance, balanced skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2019 12:15 AM

I had a cousin who tried this and she DID smell. She used shampoo but did not wash her body with soap nor use deodorant. Maybe he is just used to his own stink?

by Anonymousreply 1August 5, 2019 12:52 PM

Everyone around them:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 5, 2019 12:56 PM

It’s not about odor, it’s about hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 3August 5, 2019 12:58 PM

The Guardian stinks.

by Anonymousreply 4August 5, 2019 1:26 PM

And your ass, may I ask? 🤢🤮

by Anonymousreply 5August 5, 2019 1:30 PM

Ask the people around him if he stinks.

by Anonymousreply 6August 5, 2019 2:28 PM

Do they brush their mouth because no one wants to talk to a smelly breath.

by Anonymousreply 7August 5, 2019 2:36 PM

Asians don't smell as they don't have apocrine glands.

by Anonymousreply 8August 5, 2019 3:04 PM

This reminds me of the Wife Swap family who only ate raw meat and brushed their teeth with a clay and butter mixture and never bathed or used soap. I can't find a good picture of the mother's teeth, but they were completely brown at the gums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 5, 2019 3:04 PM

All I kept thinking while watching was How in the FUCK do these weirdos find each other??

by Anonymousreply 10August 5, 2019 3:07 PM

Disgusting. We are devolving.

by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2019 3:15 PM

Depression as a lifestyle movement. America doesn’t need this in their lives !!!!

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2019 3:15 PM

I have hyper sensitive smelling ability and if I'm within 10' of someone who is unclean I can smell their mung. I can't imagine anyone who'd want to go through life smelling bad. These people probably all smell of wet dog.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2019 3:17 PM

Do these people have jobs? How?

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2019 3:21 PM

Excellent question R14.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2019 3:24 PM

I like pit musk.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2019 3:25 PM

The Guardian (US edition) is the epitome of woke trash, so it makes sense they would feature their non-bathing brethren.

The only people who shouldn't wash are hot guys right before sex with me, and only every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2019 3:36 PM

In my family, we have a running discussion regarding what is the greatest invention in the history of the world. Hubby says television; my brother and nephews say the internet (guess what they do for a living...); my mother-in-law and I bonded over our mutual belief that indoor plumbing, specifically running hot water, made the difference between life and death for the majority of people on the planet because it made good hygiene not just possible but commonplace.

I get that washing to aggressively, or using antimicrobial soaps or the like, isn't good for your skin. Hubby's dermatologist told him he should be using a body wash instead of bar soap, so we've been looking for a good one (since Nivea and their gay hate made that choice unacceptable) and much to the cleaning lady's chagrin, the half-dozen bottles we've tried are piling up in the shower. The point is, if you don't want to use soap, there are alternatives.

And now comes this story of lunatics deciding to forgo a modern amenity, one that you could argue sets humans aside from every other species. Darwinism awards, here we come!

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2019 3:39 PM

These cretins must not ever exercise or fuck. Otherwise, their own odor would have to permeate their consciousness, at some point.

Then again, no one wants to fuck someone who never washes and if you're too lazy to wash, you aren't going to go in for physical activity, are you.

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2019 3:41 PM

The only problem he has is the pack of dogs who follow him constantly.

by Anonymousreply 20August 5, 2019 3:42 PM

Isn't body wash just liquid soap really? A marketing gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 21August 5, 2019 3:43 PM

Wow, I don't get it. A shower feels so good. Denying yourself a shower for 15 years? I have dry skin in the winter so yeah I'll skip a shower on the weekend but that next shower is soooo welcome and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 22August 5, 2019 3:47 PM

I was behind a young man at starbucks the other day and I got out of line and went to the back because he stunk to high heaven. His clothes seemed clean enough,but Lordy Mae that boy ponged to the heavens. I immediately thought what a shame it was because he was kinda cute but who would want to put their face in THAT crotch !

by Anonymousreply 23August 5, 2019 3:54 PM

I went to an antique mall on Saturday and it was filled to the brim with customers.

Every person I walked past stunk to high fucking heaven. Both young and old male and female reaked.

People can be really gross.

by Anonymousreply 24August 5, 2019 4:09 PM

Is this an offshoot of that no-poo movement a few years ago? I was dumb enough to try that and only lasted about a month. Washing your hair with just water doesn't do shit and I can only imagine it's worse when you're doing the same to the body. I guess these idiots are just ensuring that they'll be less likely to breed which is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 25August 5, 2019 4:10 PM

The idea is that introducing certain bacteria to the human body will neutralize whatever bacteria cause is to smell when we haven’t had a shower? So many questions!

If this works, wouldn’t we know it already? Wouldn’t historians know this?

Even if this does (mostly) work, there still has to be a baseline unfresh scent associated with the practice, right?

Do these people really not wash their asses? What do the women do when they are menstruating?

Is this our future if stringent water conservation becomes necessary?

What happens if they go swimming in a chlorinated pool or in the ocean? Then do they get smelly again?

by Anonymousreply 26August 5, 2019 4:12 PM

I only use conditioner and my hair is much tamer.

by Anonymousreply 27August 5, 2019 4:20 PM

Ooga Ooogaa Aaaaaghhhhhh!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28August 5, 2019 4:23 PM

I am fairly lean with an athletic body, and I really don’t sweat all that much. However, even if a man skips a couple of days of showering, he has got to eventually wash his balls. As someone said upthread, even if you don’t smell, it’s about hygiene. Besides, even a lean athletic body that doesn’t sweat all that much, eventually smells bad.

by Anonymousreply 29August 5, 2019 4:27 PM

I have a friend (female) who also smells so good. I finally asked her what she was wearing. She admitted to me that she no longer used soap: her Korean doctor had told her to shower every day, but not use soap. She still washed her hair, though. I tried it for a while, and also found I didn't smell, as long as I showered every day. But, to be honest, I like using soap, so I returned to using it.

by Anonymousreply 30August 5, 2019 4:31 PM

FINALLY, a place where I don’t stand out in the crowd.

by Anonymousreply 31August 5, 2019 4:33 PM

I can't function without a daily shower. I feel greasy and disgusting. I once went three days without a shower and felt like a wild animal. It was heinous.

by Anonymousreply 32August 5, 2019 4:35 PM

Why is it that old people don't like to shower or bath? My partner's father only showers like once a week.

by Anonymousreply 33August 5, 2019 4:54 PM

I think it’s because of a number of things r33. It’s hard to bend and scrub legs and feet and twist around to get your back when you’re older, they’re afraid of slipping in the shower, they don’t move around that much so they don’t sweat or stink as much, it’s cold when you get out of a shower (maybe it hits old people harder), they don’t notice that they stink as much, and finally, depression.

I have no proof for any of this, just theories from watching old people behavior.

by Anonymousreply 34August 5, 2019 5:13 PM

R34 you just described my parents, so you're spot on in your analysis.

by Anonymousreply 35August 5, 2019 5:32 PM

R34, you are correct. My mother would wash her hair in the sink (it was short), and would give herself a sponge bath. Bless her, she wasn’t smelly at all.

by Anonymousreply 36August 5, 2019 5:39 PM

[quote]Disgusting. We are devolving.

It seems like we've created such a cushy life that people are doing ridiculous things like not showering, pretending vaccines are poisons, etc. out of some sort of weird pathological need to create man-made hardships. I'm not sure it's a conscious decision, but there's something very weird about the recent movement of not washing the hair, not showering, avoiding all medicines, claiming vaccines are more harmful than good, diets that are all fat, things like that.

by Anonymousreply 37August 5, 2019 5:50 PM

I do this for my face. Sulphur soap (for rosacea) every few days, and $$$ moisturizer. My skin really doesn’t like to be disturbed. (Body gets daily soap, though.)

Back in the 70s, it was all about the skin’s “acid mantle” - remember that? It’s a delicate balance.

I don’t mess with my skin (no scrubs, facials or foundation) and it rewards my benign neglect by looking unlined and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 38August 5, 2019 5:53 PM

[quote]Hubby's dermatologist told him he should be using a body wash instead of bar soap

Interesting -- what was the reason for this? My partner uses body wash but I have never used anything but Ivory bar soap, and I love it. Body wash leaves a residue on my skin. Maybe I just didn't use the right kind.

by Anonymousreply 39August 5, 2019 5:54 PM

Their ass cracks and assholes must stink, I’m sorry.

by Anonymousreply 40August 5, 2019 5:59 PM

HARD PASS

by Anonymousreply 41August 5, 2019 6:21 PM

Sandpaper works equally well and is natural, and this tool will help with those nasty crevices, and it has a light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 5, 2019 6:29 PM

I haven't bathed in 15 years either and no one's asking me for an interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 5, 2019 8:25 PM

I went to high school with an obese girl who never used soap. She would talk about it, saying she was allergic to soap. (I think her friends would try to -gently- talk to her about the smell and that was the excuse she clung to). She smelled like a hot dumpster filled with rotted meat, no exaggeration. It was a shame because she was a really sweet girl. I cannot even imagine what the family home smelled like.

by Anonymousreply 44August 5, 2019 8:30 PM

R44 I knew a thin girl who smelled and used the same allergy excuse. One day she confided in me that she didn't bathe often because their house didn't have running water for months. The city had turned it off and their father refused to pay the bills to get it turned back on. She would come to school early and wash up in a bathroom sink until she was caught by a cleaning lady who told her she couldn't do that.

by Anonymousreply 45August 5, 2019 8:34 PM

Their noses have died inside so of course they can't smell anything.

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2019 8:35 PM

Guess that leaves out rimming the their sexual repertoire....sad!

by Anonymousreply 47August 5, 2019 8:39 PM

I smell an attention whore.

by Anonymousreply 48August 5, 2019 8:49 PM

You only think you don't smell because you've become anosmic to your own stench.

by Anonymousreply 49August 5, 2019 9:05 PM

[quote]I don’t smell!

Something wrong with your nose, dear?

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2019 9:35 PM

At last! Someone with a stinkier pussy than mine!!

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2019 9:40 PM

The Guardian looked at the Huffington Post and said, "I want to be like you!" And then the Guardian found a way to make money from all this woke garbage whereas the Huffington Post did not.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2019 9:43 PM

R33

Hormonal changes in the elderly can cause them to not smell as much as they did when they were young. Women experience this the most drastically when they hit menopause.

R45

That cleaning lady was an asshole, and not just to the girl, also to everyone who had to smell the girl.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2019 10:08 PM

This thread made me seriously want to gag.

There is no discussion here. Take a shower you smelly fucks.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2019 10:35 PM

I think they were all on my subway train today because the car stank to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]Do these people have jobs?

Coming soon to a cubicle near you!

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2019 11:33 PM

Ever been on a plane with a person who had BO so bad it smelled like they'd crawled through a dumpster? Happened to me twice and it was hell on earth.

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2019 11:49 PM

Steve Jobs did this when he was in his kooky holistic healing phase. Insisted he didn't smell. Everyone around him said otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 58August 6, 2019 12:15 AM

There are body cleansing products that do not contain soap. I can't use soap because it activates my eczema. Dove makes a wash that does not contain soap.

by Anonymousreply 59August 6, 2019 12:18 AM

Purpose is another one. It's so gentle you don't really feel like you're getting clean. But I guess we've all gotten so used to harsh detergents that we need to be stripped of all skin oils to really feel "clean"

by Anonymousreply 60August 6, 2019 12:23 AM

The foreskin is naturally self-cleaning. That thick layer of smegma will discourage anything from growing!

by Anonymousreply 61August 6, 2019 11:25 AM

As a woman on her period (lesbian rather than resident Frau), the idea of not having showered this morning and every day this week is truly revolting.

I am sure the guy quoted at the top smells. Maybe he can’t smell it, but others will be able to.

by Anonymousreply 62August 6, 2019 11:30 AM

Even if I don't sweat, after 24 hours without a shower I feel greasy and unclean. I can only imagine how it would feel to go for a prolonged period without showering. We've all been around people who obviously haven't showered for several days, and the smell is sickening.

by Anonymousreply 63August 6, 2019 3:38 PM

{quote]what was the reason for this?

R39, the doctor told Hubby it was too harsh and drying for his skin, and using soap everywhere wasn't necessary. He recommended using soap sparingly (armpits, groin, ass) and bodywash everywhere else. I rather liked the Nivea for Men product until the president of the parent corporation told Nivea's ad agency, upon seeing their latest campaign in which one of six or eight images featured two men's hands touching, "we don't do gay." Exactly who does this CEO think buys Nivea for Men skincare products? I'm sure the hoards of straight guys who buy expensive bodywash breathed a sigh of relief... all two of them, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 64August 6, 2019 3:57 PM

I had me a cat like this. Lived to be 17 years old and never took a bath.

by Anonymousreply 65August 6, 2019 5:26 PM

“I had me a cat like this. Lived to be 17 years old and never took a bath.”

At the risk of damning myself, that must have been one fetid pussy.

by Anonymousreply 66August 6, 2019 5:42 PM

The BO thing can be a sensitive issue in the workplace, especially when there is a cultural factor involved.

by Anonymousreply 67August 6, 2019 9:09 PM

Yeah, this theory TOTALLY explains why the aristocracy in Europe put perfume on handkerchiefs while they walked among the common people and put perfumed powder on their wigs

by Anonymousreply 68August 6, 2019 9:36 PM

Wasn’t Brad Pitt into this about 10 years ago? He smelled like a billy goat they say.

by Anonymousreply 69August 7, 2019 11:38 AM

[quote]Asians don't smell as they don't have apocrine glands.

EVERYONE has apocrine glands, we need them. Asians have FEWER apocrine glands. You do know what apocrine glands are, correct?

by Anonymousreply 70August 7, 2019 11:53 AM

It is normal in Japan to have some sweat glands removed. And the people literally do not smell.

by Anonymousreply 71August 7, 2019 1:15 PM

Yes, I am aware Japanese rarely smell. They have less apocrine glands and have higher standards for hygiene than almost every other culture around. They think we (westerners) stink.

by Anonymousreply 72August 7, 2019 1:29 PM

[quote]The BO thing can be a sensitive issue in the workplace, especially when there is a cultural factor involved.

I don't care from what culture you claim to be or your personal beliefs regarding bathing or soap.

If you come to work and stink, you should be sent home. If you continue to violate basic hygiene standards, you should be terminated. This includes laundering your clothes, as well as the use of colognes, aftershaves, or perfumes.

I'm not suggesting that someone be publicly humiliated, simply informed that he needs to be adopt additional hygiene practices and use deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2019 2:35 PM

r73 This already happens. My brother just told me yesterday that one of the accountants where he worked was let go - and hygiene or lack thereof was one of the reasons, although it might not have been communicated to him for legal reasons.

by Anonymousreply 74August 7, 2019 8:51 PM

I prefer sweaty, musky scents over scents that are too floral and clean. People just say otherwise because they don't want to be judged.

by Anonymousreply 75August 7, 2019 8:56 PM

Taking a shower everyday is totally unnecessary, once a week is enough.

by Anonymousreply 76August 7, 2019 8:57 PM

r76 you smell like shit and everyone talks about it behind your back.

by Anonymousreply 77August 7, 2019 8:58 PM

We had to let a woman go who smelled bad. Customers were complaining and it hurt our business. She tried to get unemployment and was denied because she had been warned several times about it and nothing changed. So it was determined by the ref that she was let go "with cause".

Don't be afraid to talk to someone about their hygiene. As long as you document your efforts, give the person a chance to clean up their act, and several people can corroborate, you have cause to take disciplinary action up to and including termination if they refuse to fix the problem.

by Anonymousreply 78August 7, 2019 9:08 PM

The phrase should be "I don't smell...myself" - cuz that is what is happening.

I call this the Febreze case - when Febreze launched it was expected to fly off the shelf. It did remove odors from fabrics. It was a complete fluke - one guy at P&G worked in a lab and was testing this one chemical. His wife kept asking him if he quit smoking. He had not - but she said his clothes didn't smell like smoke anymore.

Flash forward - they couldn't give it away for love or money, because people with pets (and others like them) didn't think their house smelled.

They had to market it as a last way to clean a room. It still doesn't sell like it should - but people can't smell their own bad odors, so they don't think they need it.

by Anonymousreply 79August 7, 2019 9:13 PM

Think it's enough?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80August 7, 2019 9:15 PM

I worked with a lady with severe rheumatoid arthritis, she wasn’t able to move her arms enough to bathe herself or wipe her ass. She smelled like feces and finally they had to have a conference with her. They said it was very embarrassing and she cried because she didn’t like it either but mobility was difficult for her and she couldn’t afford to not work. So she started dumping tons of scented talcum powder on herself instead. It was better than nothing. No one would ever sit in her stinky chair.

by Anonymousreply 81August 8, 2019 1:07 AM

Jeez, R81. All she had to do was get in the shower after taking a dump. And, yes, get one of those Homer Simpson wiping sticks.

Your co-worker needs to listen to Bob and Brad:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 8, 2019 9:36 AM

The comments from the soap-dodgers at the Graun are priceless

"You only need to wash your hands!"

by Anonymousreply 83August 8, 2019 9:40 AM

Did anyone suggest a bidet, r81?

by Anonymousreply 84August 8, 2019 10:50 AM

R81’s story doesn’t pass the smell test.

by Anonymousreply 85August 8, 2019 11:35 AM

Do these people wash their hands?

by Anonymousreply 86August 8, 2019 3:41 PM

OTOH, we do overdo it with antibacterial soaps and cleaning formulas that remove any and all bacteria from our environments.

Diet is largely to blame for body odor.

If you eat a lot of strong smelling foods--garlic, onion, curry--it's going to affect your body odor. Dairy does that too.

It's why some people stink from across the room after exercising.

It's also seasonal--if you live somewhere that has cold winters and you're not exercising, you probably never break a sweat versus summer, where just walking outside can make you sticky in minutes.

by Anonymousreply 87August 8, 2019 4:13 PM

in a few weeks she took a fall in the office, shattered her fragile hip and maybe some verterbrae- her bones were like fragile twigs from years of prednisone. That was the end of her, she would up hospitalized for the joint repairs and then went to the rehab center where they found she couldn’t be rehabilitated enough to walk again, so she became a permanent resident there and died a year or two later. It was sad.

by Anonymousreply 88August 9, 2019 12:18 PM

Nasty ass people

by Anonymousreply 89August 9, 2019 1:09 PM

I find if I eat a lot of onions and garlic my bowel movements smell MUCH worse the next day.

by Anonymousreply 90August 9, 2019 5:50 PM

Garlic is the worst, it's like something crawled up your ass and fucking died. The kind of shit where you open the bathroom window in the dead of winter.

by Anonymousreply 91August 9, 2019 7:53 PM

What is the reason these people are so averse to showering or bathing? Is it that they are too lazy, or are they trying to make a statement or are they being passive aggressive?

by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2019 12:11 AM

[quote]Asians don't smell as they don't have apocrine glands.

Yes, they can smell. I worked with a guy who married a Cambodian girls and he said she smelled like fish. Not as in pussy but like it was coming from her pores because their diet had so much fish in it. He made her shower before sex.

by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2019 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!