Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Official Star Trek Discussion Thread

Since the Picard and Discovery threads have now become subscriber only (and doesn't seem to be working for subscribers), I thought I'd start a new thread where we can discuss all things Trek.

by Anonymousreply 597September 3, 2021 7:09 PM

Good luck with that, OP, as this one probably won't be open for long either. I think I'll just stick to Reddit when it comes to Trek stuff from now on. Though it'll take some time, getting used to those humourless hetero bitches again.

Maybe I'll make a Picard Season 1 thread before it airs and we'll see if it stays open. I was shocked to learn recently that Discovery will only premiere in the latter half of 2020. That's a looong wait... but I'm intrigued by Lower Decks, so hopefully that'll tide me over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 4, 2019 7:07 PM

Well, they're not going to have Disco running while Picard is airing. And they just recently started filming Disco in earnest.

I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but CBS trademarked "Star Trek: Section 31" and "Star Trek: Prodigy."

They've also resurrected the Kelvin novels, which were axed pretty quickly after they began ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2August 4, 2019 7:41 PM

R1 the original Picard an Discovery threads went on for months before they became subsciption based so hopefully we'll be lucky. R2 I believe they're restarting the Kelvin novels because the Kelvin movies are unlikely to be resurrected so the fans of those films we'll have something to buy.

by Anonymousreply 3August 4, 2019 7:57 PM

So, Johnathan Del Arco seems to be implying that his character and 7 of 9 may be an item in Star Trek Picard.

by Anonymousreply 4August 4, 2019 8:11 PM

r4 I... have no idea how to feel about that. I'd rather Hugh be gay, honestly. Defintiely make someone gay if not him.

by Anonymousreply 5August 4, 2019 8:15 PM

R5 yesterday at STLV he basically said that he's gay in real life but that Hugh isn't

by Anonymousreply 6August 4, 2019 8:24 PM

r6 Oh, that sucks but isn't surprising. I thought it was a long shot anyway. Now hoping it's either Santiago Cabrera or the young Romulan martial arts expert.

by Anonymousreply 7August 4, 2019 8:33 PM

Brain and brain.

What is brain?

by Anonymousreply 8August 4, 2019 8:41 PM

Look at this lil' Guinan !!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 4, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]"#StarTrekLowerDecks takes place on the U.S.S. Cerritos... the speciality of the Cerritos is second contact... Second contact, you're showing up to the planet, you're finding all the good places to eat... You're like the Yelp of Starfleet." - @MikeMcMahanTM #STLV

Second contact! That sounds hysterical to me. What a concept, can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 10August 4, 2019 10:42 PM

So, those rumours Alex Kurtzman was being moved away from the Trek franchise might be true after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 5, 2019 3:06 AM

R3, the subscription crap locking out threads only started about a month ago. It seems that the more popular the thread gets, the faster it goes subscription. Crappy business model.

[quote]Disco

Unless you call the other shows Origina, Next Gener, Deep Spac, Voyag, and Enterp, stop calling Discovery 'Disco'. It's a terrible moniker. Using the abbreviations for all the other shows it's either DSC or Discovery. I mean, just because the idiots at Reddit just chopped off the last four letters doesn't mean you have to sound like an idiot, too.

by Anonymousreply 12August 5, 2019 3:14 AM

r12 Kindly stop telling people what to do. If we have to endure the haters calling it STD, you can sure as hell bet I'm going to call it DISCO.

Also, the preferred one has always been DIS, not DSC. Just like Voyager is VOY, not VGR. DSC and VGR were both concocted in CBS' marketing department because those marketing interns thought the full title would be more closely represented that way. That might be so, but it doesn't flow as well when written down.

[quote]I mean, just because the idiots at Reddit just chopped off the last four letters doesn't mean you have to sound like an idiot, too.

To the vast majority of people, we both already sound like idiots, arguing over abbreviations. So that starship has very much sailed, honey.

by Anonymousreply 13August 5, 2019 11:03 AM

You're also to buy an athletic T-shirt like the ones the characters wear with DISCO emblazoned on it. I bought one because I liked them so much.

There's also one now with Discovery orbiting a disco ball.

by Anonymousreply 14August 5, 2019 11:16 AM

I'm just waiting for the Captain Pike series.

by Anonymousreply 15August 5, 2019 11:19 AM

Tell CBS to throw money at Anson Mount, then.

by Anonymousreply 16August 5, 2019 11:22 AM

R16 If signing the fan petition and constantly nagging CBS about it on Twitter counts for anything, I have done.

by Anonymousreply 17August 5, 2019 11:26 AM

[quote]I bought one because I liked them so much.

r14 I'm jealous; those T-shirts looked so cool on the screen.

by Anonymousreply 18August 5, 2019 1:49 PM

r11 I feel like that grossly micharacterises what's being reported. He's been given another project (in the same genre!) in addition to running the Trek universe, which I feel like he can manage just fine, what with each Trek show having its own showrunner anyway.

Is the original with David Bowie any good?

by Anonymousreply 19August 5, 2019 1:55 PM

The Deep Space Nine Documentary is officially out on bluray and Itunes today. I saw it during its one day run in theaters and loved it. I'm really looking forward to watching the special features it comes with.

by Anonymousreply 20August 6, 2019 5:13 PM

R20 I just watched the deleted scene and my two favorite walk aways were Cirroc Lofton's 12 inch erection, and the fact that Avery Brooks and Rene Auberjonois couldn't stand each other.

by Anonymousreply 21August 7, 2019 3:09 AM

R21 There have been rumors online for years that Cirroc is very well endowed! As for Avery Brooks, it's well known that he was not particularly close to any of the DS9 cast except for Cirroc Lofton who played his son. There are a series of books out called the Firs Fifty-Year Mission which are basically an oral history of the franchise with unedited conversations with many of casts. There is a whole section about the DS9 casts interaction with Brooks and one person who was very frank about it was Alexander Siddig aka Dr. Bashir basically saying that he felt Avery had anger management issues which soured their relationship early on.

by Anonymousreply 22August 7, 2019 2:43 PM

R11 Kurtzman is mainly the executive producer of most of the new Star Trek series; he oversees the direction of the franchise but doesn't necessarily get involved in the day to day production decisions. That CBS All Access is picking up this new show direct to series is actually a positive sign for his relationship with them (and I've not been impressed with his vision for ST so far).

by Anonymousreply 23August 7, 2019 4:00 PM

One of the things that did come out in the doc was that despite Brooks being aloof from the rest of the cast, they all seemed to really respect him as a performer. And every single one of them talked about how they thought it was stupid and racist that they wouldn't let him shave his head for the first few seasons.

I loved listening to Penny Johnson Jerald talk about how sexy she thought his head was and how much she loved touching it.

by Anonymousreply 24August 7, 2019 5:58 PM

[quote] Unless you call the other shows Origina, Next Gener, Deep Spac, Voyag, and Enterp, stop calling Discovery 'Disco'.

And if you don't, I'll have you EJECTED into SPACE! IS THAT CLEAR?!

by Anonymousreply 25August 7, 2019 6:07 PM

R25 Trivia, do you know "Face of the Enemy," the episode you referring to in your post, was originally written as a Dr. Crusher episode. It was switched to Troi for two reasons. The writers thought that Troi's empathetic abilities might play to the plot of the story better, and Gates McFadden was allergic to the prosthetic glue need to attach the Romulan ears and forehead bumps.

by Anonymousreply 26August 8, 2019 1:11 AM

Thank God. It was Troi's finest hour, and Marina had WAAAY more fun with it than Gates would have.

by Anonymousreply 27August 8, 2019 1:33 AM

R27 I agree. Marina was always at her best when she was play a bitch. I think that episode where she, Data, and O'Brien are taken over by aliens was her best episode of the whole series. I also love to hate the one she hooks up with that telepathic ambassador and begins to age quickly.

by Anonymousreply 28August 8, 2019 2:24 AM

Ironically Gates McFadden best episode was "Sub Rosa" aka "fucking the space ghost." One of the worst episodes in the entire franchise but it is the only episode that really allowed her to show off her acting talent.

by Anonymousreply 29August 8, 2019 4:04 AM

r29, to me McFadden's best episode is (by far) "Remember Me," where the entire alternative universe Wesley accidentally sends her to collapses inwards on her. She beautifully delivers that little speech in it to Picard about all the people who have disappeared and how they matter to her--it's her finest moment in the entire series. She so often was given the worst lines on the entire show (e.g. the shouted "LIFE FORCE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND US?" in "Home Soil") that it was nice that once she was given such a nice little speech.

by Anonymousreply 30August 8, 2019 6:07 AM

"Face of the Enemy" is Sirtis's best episode, and she has often said so. She's campy yet still believable and effective pretending to be the bitchy Tal Shiar officer ("THIS gives me the authority!") and it helped her enormously she got to play off Carolyn Seymour, one of the finest guest actors TNG ever had (though Seymour's finest work is in "First Contact").

by Anonymousreply 31August 8, 2019 6:10 AM

Wasn't McFadden squicky about the "gay" relationship in that episode where she was in love with a male Trill host and when he died his new host was a female and Dr. Crusher was like "Oh, hell no!"?

by Anonymousreply 32August 8, 2019 6:26 AM

No, she thought it was stupid that Beverly wouldn't kiss the female host goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 33August 8, 2019 10:01 AM

The other nice thing about "Face of the Enemy" is that the selection of Troi doesn't hinge on her being a woman. The Maguffin is her powers, and they could have easily rewritten that with one of men having some other skill that they needed.

by Anonymousreply 34August 8, 2019 1:09 PM

"Sub Rosa" is my favourite Trek episode. As for "The Host", it absolutely is low-key homophobic. Consider this:

[quote]Beverly: I don't know if I should fuck Riker. Seems weird.

[quote]Troi: Yes, he's your superior officer, and your ex's friend and his subordinate, and my ex, and like a brother to you... but you have to accept the love flowing towards you, Beverly.

[quote]Beverly: Okay.

[quote]*Trill symbiont jumps into the body of a female stranger*

[quote]Beverly: Fuck this, I'm out!

by Anonymousreply 35August 8, 2019 1:29 PM

R32 I doubt it. McFadden was apparently quite outspoken about sexism and racism she perceived in certain season 1 scripts (one of the reasons she was fired before season 2), so I doubt she would have an issue with a gay relationship. She was also from a theater and choreography background; she just doesn't seem to be the type to have an issue with something like that. I think the TNG actors were generally more progressive than the producers/network.

by Anonymousreply 36August 8, 2019 2:12 PM

R31 Definitely agree on Carolyn Seymour -- she was amazing in each of her roles. I wish they had created a recurring character for her.

by Anonymousreply 37August 8, 2019 2:14 PM

When Gates taught at Brandeis, she lived with a female partner.

by Anonymousreply 38August 8, 2019 2:26 PM

R32 Even when TNG was still on the air, Gates was on record over he disappointment with the ending of "The Host." She felt the kiss on the wrist was lame and she doesn't believe Beverly would have rejected the new female host. She even said that at the Star Trek doctors panel at Vegas last weekend.

R38 I have heard rumors over the years that Gates (at least when she was younger) swung both ways. During most of TNG's run she was with a man named John Tablot who is the father of her son but they broke up sometimes in the late 90s. She has been with her current (male) partner for almost 20 years. I can't find a picture but he has traveled with her to Vegas a couple times and funny enough he looks a lot like Patrick Stewart.

I always thought Gates' best episode was The Host. I think she looked fantastic in that episode (she was 8 months pregnant) and it's one of the few times I felt Gates wasn't somewhat inhibited with her acting. I always felt she is one of those theater actors who is great on stage but their acting style doesn't always translate well to film.

by Anonymousreply 39August 8, 2019 3:15 PM

To my mind there are just a few really great guest performances on ST: TNG, and they're all by women, for some reason.

*Carolyn Seymour as Mirasta Yale, the kidnapped planetary minister, in "First Contact," and as Subcommander Toreth in "Face of the Enemy"

*Susan Powell as the replica of Marla Aster in "The Bonding"

*Ellen Geer as the obsessed Dr. Kila Marr in "Silicon Avatar"

It's strange because I can think of so many first-rate guest performances on the original Star Trek (Mark Leonard, Jane Wyatt, John Colicos, William Windom, Sally Kellerman, Diana Muldaur in "Is There in Truth No Beauty?," and the list goes on and on...), and yet ST: TNG was such a great show

by Anonymousreply 40August 8, 2019 6:40 PM

Damn, that T-shirt looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 8, 2019 10:09 PM

R41 I much prefer Jason over Anson...something about Jason and his attitude says he'd be a good fuck.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2019 12:10 AM

r42 Agreed. I think Mount is objectively more attractive of the two, but Isaacs has such a strong sense of humour that comes so effortlessly to him, it's just intoxicating to me.

by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2019 12:16 AM

R42 & R43 Anson has a nicer (an apparently unpadded) butt, but I like Isaacs' personality better.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2019 12:22 AM

Can't we all just want to be spit-roasted by them?

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2019 12:26 AM

Glad I was wrong about McFadden. It was probably either Braga or that asshole who was in charge whose name I've obviously blocked because he was an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2019 3:29 AM

R46 It's well known that it was Rick Berman who was against having an LGBT characters or representation on the shows. TNG did an episode called "The Outcast" which was meant as an analogy for homosexuality but watching the episode now it actually has more to do with gender identity than sexuality.

DS9 was the most direct in addressing homosexuality in "Rejoined" where Terry Farrell and Susanna Thompson share a passionate kiss. Trivia that episode was directed by Avery Brooks who refused to allow the PR photographers to take any still shots of the kiss as he felt Paramount would try and sensationalize it. Also in season 7, Nicole de Boer and Nana Visitor kissed in a mirror universe episode. The only reason why DS9 could be more direct was that Rick Berman wasn't as heavily involved with the show as he was with Voyager which never even touched upon homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2019 10:01 PM

Well, Janeway did openly lust after Seven, so...

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2019 10:03 PM

No, she did not. It was always a teacher-student sort of thing, but of course the lesbians took them for their own as they were so starved for representation at the time.

Blaming Berman for the lack of gay characters and storylines... I don't know. It was the whole system that was fucked up - from the execs to the advertisers, which was all a reflection of the society at the time. This just wasn't the optimal outlet to push the gay stuff at that time. However, it was surely time to push it more openly during ENT, and they still opted against it. That still bothers me to this day.

Also, that one female kiss on DS9 was A LOT easier to sell to the audience and to the execs than two guys kissing, let's be real. They got to push the envelope and titillate their core audience at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2019 10:12 PM

R49, stop with your gay male victim stuff every time anyone brings up one lesbian doing anything on any show. Gay men are much more represented in all media than lesbians. So sick of having to post this same study over and over in the face of the whining about how lesbians get all the representation.

(And, the way Janeway looked at Seven was not teacher/student or mother/daughter unless you had some really sick teachers or mothers.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2019 10:19 PM

Gates McFadden appeared at Steel City Comic Con today and when asked about appearing on Star Trek Picard she claims that she has been approached about making an appearance. Now, Marina was saying the same thing right up until the beginning of July so we shall see.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2019 2:30 AM

R50 Glaad? Fuck off with those traitors and their reports

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2019 2:42 AM

R52, numbers are numbers. It's not even a poll or something. They literally just count.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2019 4:39 AM

R51 Out of the surviving six TNG lead characters (I'm not counting Wesley), Dr. Crusher seems like the one character Picard wouldn't have lost contact with given their long history of friendship and romantic attraction. In reality though, Beverly just wasn't that important of a character so I'm not sure what to think. Jonathan Frakes apparently did let slip that other characters we don't know about yet will appear. If that's the case, the reason why the have told us is that it could give away too much of the story line. It could be that Gates has signed an NDA and is just towing the line but she has been fairly active on the convention circuit this summer which makes me believe that she hasn't been contacted. That being said, I still have a feeling something happened to Beverly.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2019 3:32 PM

R54 I suppose Beverly could be dead but I just think they didn't get together. If they killed of Beverly, they would have to address it in the prequel comics and book, and that would be too big of a spoiler. I think Beverly is retired and living on that Scotland planet where her Nana was fucking a space ghost.

by Anonymousreply 55August 12, 2019 4:34 AM

never watched a single episode or movie. corney and amateurish...….how dare they foist such crap on us

by Anonymousreply 56August 12, 2019 4:39 AM

I don't want to sound like an asshole (too late, I know) but as broke as I am, I really don't mind paying the subscription fees. That said, I really do miss the higher traffic, and fun craziness, key word FUN, from witty posters who would just pop in and out as they felt like it. Also, it is BEYOND FUCKING REFRESHING that the population of Frauen in general, and the tedious tweens with their knives out for MM appear to have plummeted since Muriel tightened the screws.

by Anonymousreply 57August 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Fun panel, but what in gay hell has Gates done to her face?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 12, 2019 9:17 PM

R58 Botox and fillers possibly a lift.

by Anonymousreply 59August 12, 2019 10:31 PM

Barbara March, who played Lursa, the more butch of the Duras sisters, has passed away at 65.

by Anonymousreply 60August 13, 2019 7:03 PM

R60 I was just going to post about this! I loved Lursa and B'Etor and was surprised to learn that both Barbara March and Gwynyth Walsh are Canadian and had known each other for years before they were both cast on Star Trek TNG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 13, 2019 7:47 PM

In addition to Barbara March's untimely passing, big news in the Trekverse as CBS and Viacom have officially merged. This means that the entire franchise is now housed again under one roof. CBS is now the sole owner of not just every episode of Trek, but now owns the Trek movie library as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62August 13, 2019 7:52 PM

I wonder what effect, if any, that will have on the franchise's prospects on the big screen. I mean, I'd rather them continue to build out their TV offerings, but they have to be thinking of the smaller-scale MCU-like possibilities.

by Anonymousreply 63August 13, 2019 8:00 PM

Viacom seems to always turn cable channels to shit by allowing programming not irrelevant to that channel. Take for example MTV which now only show stupid reality shows. The history channel which also shows reality shows that don't related to history

by Anonymousreply 64August 13, 2019 11:09 PM

R63 the main change of the merger will mean future trek film won't have to be made under an alternative license. This means we could potentially have movies that are once again set in the prime universe or that features actors and characters from any of the current or past iterations of Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 65August 13, 2019 11:41 PM

R65 YES! Kill the Kelvin timeline stat

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2019 4:26 AM

[quote] That being said, I still have a feeling something happened to Beverly.

She perished from terminal drabness... the one disease she could not cure!!

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2019 4:31 AM

Ethan Peck looking yummy on the TOS Enterprise bridge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 24, 2019 2:51 PM

He seems REALLY into playing Spock. And I love that about him.

by Anonymousreply 69August 24, 2019 2:54 PM

He looks so good with glasses, eugh!

by Anonymousreply 70August 24, 2019 2:55 PM

Damn, Ethan is getting into shape.

by Anonymousreply 71August 24, 2019 6:33 PM

[quote]Out of the surviving six TNG lead characters (I'm not counting Wesley), Dr. Crusher seems like the one character Picard wouldn't have lost contact with given their long history of friendship and romantic attraction.

This was admittedly a long time ago, but didn't the TNG finale jump ahead to a future where Picard interacts with multiple characters, including Geordi? Also, I know "Discovery" has had about a dozen showrunners at this point, but it seems pretty clear that CBS has been actively trying to steer clear of the existing canon, hence Seven being the only one known for certain to show up on "Picard."

[quote]I was shocked to learn recently that Discovery will only premiere in the latter half of 2020.

Not sure if this was addressed later upthread, but they announced during Comic-Con that "Discovery" will premiere on Jan. 17, two weeks after the first "Short Treks" episode drops.

by Anonymousreply 72August 24, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]hence Seven being the only one known for certain to show up on "Picard."

They've already confirmed that we'll see Riker and Troi.

[quote]Not sure if this was addressed later upthread, but they announced during Comic-Con that "Discovery" will premiere on Jan. 17, two weeks after the first "Short Treks" episode drops.

That was for S2. Picard is more likely to appear in January or February.

by Anonymousreply 73August 24, 2019 6:58 PM

It's widely believed that Picard will priemere in Febraury 2020 and Discovery season 3 will begin right after Picard ends.

by Anonymousreply 74August 25, 2019 3:16 AM

R72 The future timeline presented in All Good Things was an alternate timeline so writers have a clean slate to pretty much do what they want with Picard. Patrick Stewart stated in an interview after the full trailer was released that Picard has had little contact with the former Enterprise gang in the 20 years since Nemesis. I think writers might "pay tribute" to some of the things we saw in the All Good Things future. I personally think that Irumodic Syndrome will play some role in the new show and may explain why Starfleet may no longer trust him. Based on what we've heard about Troi and Riker (apparently they are no longer active Starfleet Officers) I think it's possible the whole Enterprise gang is retired which is why Picard has no one to turn to within the fleet. I also agree that Beverly could be dead or she and Picard may be divorced or just never got together at all. Jonathan Frakes has hinted that there are other characters from within the Trek Universe appearing in Picard that we don't know about for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 75August 25, 2019 7:00 PM

[bold]‘Star Trek: Discovery’: The Vibrant Opening Credits That Give Space Its Own Renaissance[/bold]

[quote]The gorgeous, soaring trip through the fundamentals of the "Star Trek" universe at the start of each episode is a delicate balance of color, deconstruction, and emptiness.

I've seen a lot of people who are into graphic design praise it, but I'm just a pleb and I'm really not feeling it despite loving the show. It apparently changes in small ways throughout the season, but I always just skipped it. Or maybe it's the music that bugs me, I don't know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 28, 2019 1:51 AM

The producers of Picard should have put Mirina Sirtis into a fat suit and had Troi weigh 300 pounds from her addiction to chocolate from over the years.

by Anonymousreply 77August 28, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote] Viacom seems to always turn cable channels to shit

Plus they cut the shows for extra commercial time.

by Anonymousreply 78August 28, 2019 2:37 AM

Jonathan Frakes was a hot bear back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 79August 28, 2019 2:55 AM

Michael Chaon confirmed on Insta that yesterday (Friday) was the final day of principle photography for Season 1 of Picard.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2019 11:30 PM

I watched the DS9 documentary, nothing much going on apart from talking about how the fucking amazing the show was, and they all were. Worthless

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2019 11:56 PM

when does picard start?

by Anonymousreply 82September 1, 2019 12:15 AM

January or February.

by Anonymousreply 83September 1, 2019 12:41 AM

R82 no official date but likely during sweeps in February.

by Anonymousreply 84September 1, 2019 2:59 AM

R84 That makes no sense, is not about rating on CBSPayChannelThing

by Anonymousreply 85September 1, 2019 3:28 AM

[bold]Star Trek: Jonathan Frakes Was a Nervous Wreck Returning as Riker for Picard[/bold]

[quote]“I had just directed two episodes of Picard with Sir Patrick and, as I said, his acting muscle was well-toned. And Marina (Sirtis) had just closed having starred in a play in the West End in London. So, I knew she was going to be in good form. So, I was a nervous wreck. It ended up going very well. But don’t let anybody tell you it’s like getting back on a bike. That’s bulls--t. That’s acting bulls--t.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 3, 2019 4:56 PM

[quote][R82] no official date but likely during sweeps in February.

Do sweeps even matter for the streaming services, as they don't sell advertising, nor measure viewership in any traditional manner since it's all about subscriptions.

by Anonymousreply 87September 3, 2019 5:11 PM

[bold]How ‘Star Trek’ Pushed Cory Booker to Make It So[/bold]

[quote]His favorite captain is Jean-Luc Picard. He thinks President Trump has a little Ferengi in him. A conversation with Senator Cory Booker about hope, “Star Trek” and his father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 8, 2019 2:11 PM

Warren is a Trekkie too. In one of her books, she talked about watching every TNG episode with one of her kids.

Stacey Abrams said her favorite was Janeway.

by Anonymousreply 89September 8, 2019 2:46 PM

It appears that Picard producers may have inadvertently spoiled that Michael Dorn will be appearing on the show. On the final day of shooting, crew members were given some memorabilia one of which was a directors slate withe autographs of the cast....one of the autographs looks a lot like Michael Dorn's. My money is now that Worf, Beverly, and Geordie will make appearances but we just haven't heard about it yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 10, 2019 2:46 AM

R87 They might do like they did with the Discovery premiere, where the first two episodes aired on CBS.

by Anonymousreply 91September 10, 2019 3:01 AM

Is it true that Vulcans are as intellectually developed as Stratos City dwellers?

by Anonymousreply 92September 10, 2019 3:02 AM

[quote]They might do like they did with the Discovery premiere, where the first two episodes aired on CBS.

I don't understand why CBS is so willing to banish its new "Star Trek" series -- something that would undoubtedly be of great interest to many viewers -- to its streaming service as opposed to a permanent spot on its broadcast primetime schedule. Hell, I'm sure most people would rather see a new "Trek" series than the umpteenth version of some NCIS/CSI show.

by Anonymousreply 93September 10, 2019 3:06 AM

They didn't banish Star Trek to their streaming service. In fact, it's their parade horse, hence the year-round Trek content coming our way.

If they put Discovery on their regular channel, they wouldn't get that Netflix distribution deal, plus I don't think the revenue would be as great as it is now when people are signing up for the service whenever a Trek show is on. It's largely thanks to all those Trekkies who subscribed and then promptly cancelled their subscription after Discovery's season ended that we're now getting several new Trek shows.

by Anonymousreply 94September 10, 2019 3:12 AM

My take Worf is Captain of the Enterprise, Beverly is dead but we'll see her in a flashback, and Geordie will be seen with Hugh at some point.

by Anonymousreply 95September 10, 2019 3:20 AM

Exactly, it is their most valuable IP. The perfect property to build their streaming platform. Though I question why they don't keep the rights to Canada and Australia, to help build up All-Access in those territories, since they operate there.

by Anonymousreply 96September 10, 2019 3:24 AM

[quote]If they put Discovery on their regular channel, they wouldn't get that Netflix distribution deal

It's not on Netflix in the US. So, again, the US audience gets screwed.

by Anonymousreply 97September 10, 2019 5:55 AM

Somewhat related, I guess...

[quote]The Hollywood Reporter columnist and TV writer defends Walter Mosley’s decision to quit the 'Star Trek: Discovery' writers room after CBS admonished him for uttering the racial slur in the context of storytelling.

[quote]To summarize, Mosley was telling a personal anecdote in the writers room of CBS’ Star Trek: Discovery: “I just told a story about a cop who explained to me, on the streets of Los Angeles, that he stopped all n---ers in paddy neighborhoods and all paddies in n--er neighborhoods, because they were usually up to no good.” An unidentified writer in the room complained to human resources about his use of the n-word and HR admonished Mosley not to say the word again. He could write it in a script, they explained, but not say it aloud. Mosley’s response was to quit the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98September 10, 2019 8:16 PM

R95 Hugh is going to be geordi 's gay Borg roommate

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2019 7:17 PM

More theories about why Dr. Crusher doesn't appear to be in Picard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 13, 2019 2:39 AM

God, I don't understand these kinds of YouTube videos.

Two minute trailer gets a twenty-minute analysis.

by Anonymousreply 101September 13, 2019 11:19 AM

CBS denies Worf cameo. So either Michael Dorn was visiting the set and they asked him to sign or CBS is lying in order to not ruin a surprise or story point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 13, 2019 1:15 PM

R102 there wording is interesting. They said Dorn will not appear as Worf, but they didn't deny Dorn will appear on the show.

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2019 1:49 PM

Discovery won its first Emmy at the Creative Arts Emmys last night. Just for make-up, specifically for the Talosians. But that's part of a proud tradition for the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2019 7:44 PM

r104 Yay! That was some good make-up.

by Anonymousreply 105September 16, 2019 7:45 PM

They've also got their next Disco novel. After books about Michael (Desperate Hours), Prime Lorca and Prime Georgiou (Drastic Measures), Saru (Fear, Itself), Tilly (The Way to the Stars), and Pike (The Enterprise War), we get Stamets' starring role, Dead Endless. We're in a place where a gay couple can be on the cover of a Star Trek novel. Who'da thunk?

by Anonymousreply 106September 16, 2019 8:04 PM

Interesting rumor going around...an actress by the name of Lulu Wilson has been added to the cast list of Picard with her name being Kestra. There is a rumor that this character is William and Deanna's daughter. Kestra was the name a of Troi's older sister who drowned when Deanna was just a baby. Also the actress playing her is 14 which would make her fit the age range. Based on the spoilers from Jonathan Frakes, Troi and Riker are no longer active Starfleet officers. Perhaps a couple years after Nemesis Riker and Troi left Startfleet to raise a family.

by Anonymousreply 107September 17, 2019 1:42 AM

CBS confirms Picard Season 2 is a go and will start filming in March.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 19, 2019 7:07 PM

It's just for show. They're saving face.

by Anonymousreply 109September 19, 2019 8:17 PM

[quote]Based on the spoilers from Jonathan Frakes, Troi and Riker are no longer active Starfleet officers. Perhaps a couple years after Nemesis Riker and Troi left Startfleet to raise a family.

Too bad. I would love to see a canon version of the USS Titan that Riker commanded.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110September 19, 2019 8:28 PM

R110 It sounds like producers wanted to go in "unexpected directions" with the old characters.

by Anonymousreply 111September 19, 2019 10:18 PM

In a new interview, Stewart is hinting at some big shocks in store for fans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112September 19, 2019 10:19 PM

[quote][R110] It sounds like producers wanted to go in "unexpected directions" with the old characters.

Well, that sounds like they've been taking lessons from Rian Johnson.

Strong characters and arcs, character motivation that makes sense, conflict that creates drama instead of melodrama - is that really too much to ask?

I hope it's good. I hate myself that I'll watch it no matter whether it is or not.

by Anonymousreply 113September 19, 2019 11:14 PM

R113 I'm optimistic that it'll be good. Patrick Stewart had turned down the chance to reprise the role of Picard a few times before so my gut is he wouldn't have agreed to it if he didn't feel it would be a well crafted projected. He has stated time and time again that he agreed to do it because he felt it honored what had been done but goes in a new direction. It's not a sequel but rather a new chapter.

by Anonymousreply 114September 20, 2019 4:44 PM

Update RE: Michael Dorn's autograph. According to some twitter comments Dorn appeared at a convention this past week and confirmed he is not appearing on Picard as Worf or any other character. The reason for his autograph was the week Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis were filming their scenes, producers invited all the TNG cast to a special lunch. Dorn signed because he thought he was supposed to and no one bothered to double check. LeVar Burton also attended the lunch but Gates and Brent were not in LA at the time.

by Anonymousreply 115September 20, 2019 4:51 PM

Nog has died. 😕

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116September 22, 2019 10:32 AM

Well, now I'm depressed.

by Anonymousreply 117September 22, 2019 12:02 PM

I loved Nog.

That episode where he lost his leg had me in tears.

DS9 was THE best Trek show, IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 118September 22, 2019 12:16 PM

Well, that's sad. He seemed like a good guy.

by Anonymousreply 119September 22, 2019 4:09 PM

Nog had nice sexy arms

by Anonymousreply 120September 23, 2019 8:18 AM

Did Eisenberg have a similar illness to Gary Coleman who had focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a congenital kidney disease? The corticosteroids and other medications used to treat it limited his growth, and his face kept a childlike appearance even into adulthood.

The articles note that Eisenberg had health issues from birth due to having been born with one kidney and seemed to have similar symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 121September 23, 2019 12:32 PM

R121 although his wife hasn't stated what caused his death, he had kidney problems his whole life and had two transplants that last of which was in 2015. It seems, however, that this death was sudden and somewhat unexpected. He appears to have gone out to an event with his wife then suddenly ended up in hospital in critical condition dying just shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 122September 26, 2019 8:50 PM

I believe someone said he had a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 123September 26, 2019 8:53 PM

R123 sadly heart failure can be a side effect of all the the medication required form a kidney transplant.

by Anonymousreply 124September 26, 2019 10:36 PM

Slightly off topic but here's a recent interview with Diana Muldaur who made two guest appearances on TOS and of course played the far more interesting Dr. Pulaski for one season on TNG.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 27, 2019 12:26 AM

R125 love that she named her dog Pulaski!!! Whatever you think of the Pulaski/Crusher debate, Diana Muldaur could act circles around Gates McFadden. Sadly Patrick Stewart and several members of the cast treated her like shit and the character was never given an opportunity to fully shine.

by Anonymousreply 126September 27, 2019 12:31 AM

Rewatching as an adult, I liked Pulaski a lot more than I did as a gayling.

by Anonymousreply 127September 27, 2019 12:32 AM

The problem with Pulaski, is that they made her uncomfortable with Data, who had already become a fan favorite. I think they thought they could make them like McCoy and Spock, but they just made her seem like a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 128September 27, 2019 12:37 AM

R128 They were clearly trying to create a Bones/Spock dynamic with Pulaski and Data problem is that Spock could give it back to McCoy but Data was too childlike and so it made her look like a bully. Looking back at it now, however, I think the Pulaski/Data story would have played out very interestingly over the rest of the series. You could tell by the end of the season that she had grown very fond of Data and I actually think she would have eventually become a mentor figure for him.

In recent years I've come to the conclusion that Pulaski is a far more interesting character than Crusher. Indeed, in one season she made far more of an impression than Crusher made in six seasons and four movies. Tonally, Beverly was the better fit for the show as Pulaski's rougher edges that didn't jive with the rest of the human characters. It was also clear that Muldaur lacked chemistry with most of the cast and I think the strain was starting to show by the end of the season. Muldaur looks noticeably puffy eyed in later episode which gives credence to the rumors that she walked off the set in tears on more than one occasion.

by Anonymousreply 129September 27, 2019 1:01 AM

A CBS photographer may have inadvertently spoiled what appears to be John de Lancie as Q. You don't see de Lancie but there is a shot of a red glove on the side of a gold chair which looks a lot like Q's judge outfit and chair from the first and last episodes of TNG.

I believe that this actually might be shoot for a Short Trek called Q&A. Kurtzman has confirmed that 1 short trek will serve as a prequel to Picard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 2, 2019 10:53 PM

R130, the "gold chair" is a bunch of sticks.

by Anonymousreply 131October 2, 2019 11:18 PM

R130 Since the Short Trek titles were announced, I have suspected that "Q & A" would involve Q. He was the only important character on TNG, outside of the bridge crew. He was there for the pilot, finale and several of the other most memorable episodes. However, I don't think his character would really fit in the darker tone Picard seems to be taking, so the best way to fit him in would be in a stand alone Short Trek.

by Anonymousreply 132October 2, 2019 11:51 PM

R130 the video has been taken down! seems to confirm something is up.

by Anonymousreply 133October 2, 2019 11:57 PM

R133 video is actually still up! I believe it is John de Lancie as Q. There is a Picard panel at NYC ComicCon this weekend and there has been buzz all week that two TNG alumni (not previously announced) are set to appear as a surprise. This buzz has been Whoopi (who lives in NYC) and Gates McFadden .

by Anonymousreply 134October 3, 2019 2:43 AM

Also confirmed, a new Picard trailer on Saturday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 3, 2019 3:26 AM

Teaser trailer is out.

930 years into the future. Andorians!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136October 5, 2019 6:52 PM

And the Picard one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 5, 2019 6:53 PM

[quote]The first of six all-new Star Trek: Short Treks premieres today, Oct. 5, with the release of “Q&A,” now streaming on CBS All Access.

Erm, what the what now? Are they shitting me?! 😮

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 5, 2019 6:58 PM

Picard with Riker and Troi give me such feels.

by Anonymousreply 139October 5, 2019 8:00 PM

And in Q&A, we learn that Pike's chief engineer is a Welsh woman.

by Anonymousreply 140October 5, 2019 8:39 PM

I had a smile on my face during every second of Q&A. They HAVE to make a Pike series soon.

by Anonymousreply 141October 5, 2019 10:59 PM

[quote]I had a smile on my face during every second of Q&A. They HAVE to make a Pike series soon.

The panel was pretty decent. The clips were good. People went nuts over over Riker and Troi.

I guess it was a DL mini get together...and like backrooms of yesteryear, none of us knew the others were there in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 142October 6, 2019 1:48 AM

Oh, and Seven of Nine dual wielding phaser rifles.

by Anonymousreply 143October 6, 2019 2:37 AM

I liked Q & A, but it bothered me they used the same Gilbert and Sullivan song Data and Picard sang in Star Trek: Insurrection.

by Anonymousreply 144October 6, 2019 8:18 AM

Frakes should consider gastric bypass surgery.

by Anonymousreply 145October 6, 2019 8:25 AM

And in our continued discussion of Star Trek and wigs, how can we not mention that monstrosity atop Brent Spiner's head.

by Anonymousreply 146October 6, 2019 12:10 PM

[quote]I liked Q & A, but it bothered me they used the same Gilbert and Sullivan song Data and Picard sang in Star Trek: Insurrection.

That didn't bother me as much as their using the JJprise music for the Picard cast and crew at the end.

[quote]And in our continued discussion of Star Trek and wigs, how can we not mention that monstrosity atop Brent Spiner's head.

That's the weird thing - hasn't it ALWAYS been a wig? Data's hair has looked the same since the character was introduced. Only a wig could achieve that level of consistency, I would suspect. Why they would use such a bizarre looking wig is disturbing.

And speaking of the Q&A, when did it become standard to give your entire life story, thank them "for their service" as it were, and pontificate, rather than actually asking a question. You could see it on their faces, the person at the mic would drone on and on while they were desperately listening for a question which often never came until prompted by someone saying, "so what's your question?"

This was fairly standard in most of the panels almost to the point where if a person provided some context and then simply asked the question, it came across as abrupt.

by Anonymousreply 147October 6, 2019 2:46 PM

Also, they sand "A British Tar" in Insurrection, not "Modern Major General."

by Anonymousreply 148October 6, 2019 2:54 PM

Some interesting theories about the plot of Star Trek Picard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149October 6, 2019 8:43 PM

The Q&A short was beyond delightful. So playful and meta and... FUN! Romijn's Number One wig has never looked better. However, you could definitely see Peck's contacts in closeups.

Please sir, may I have another? 🥺

by Anonymousreply 150October 6, 2019 8:49 PM

R146 Also on the wig front: In the Discovery trailer it looks like Sonequa Martin-Green is going to use her natural hairstyle instead of a wig in season 3.

by Anonymousreply 151October 7, 2019 2:31 AM

R167, I was referring to the new Short Trek "Q & A", not the PIcard cast ComicCon appearance.

by Anonymousreply 152October 7, 2019 2:17 PM

Season 2 confirmed! And some more about the Short Treks:

Three Pike ones (“Q & A,” “The Trouble with Edward,” “Ask Not”)

'Star Trek: Picard' prequel (“Children of Mars”).

The December ones [animated shorts] (“The Girl who Made the Stars,” “Ephraim and Dot”)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 8, 2019 2:53 AM

A delightful Trek short. Be sure to catch the commercial after the credits.

by Anonymousreply 154October 11, 2019 3:50 PM

Apparently, the interwebs has now nicknamed Discovery Season 3 a bad reboot of Andromeda based on the recent trailers that dropped.

Andromeda itself was apparently a big FU about what Trek had become by 2000 - which I hadn't heard. Personally, I couldn't ever get into Andromeda, except for a shirtless Steve Bacic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155October 11, 2019 5:19 PM

I haven't seen people calling it a "bad" reboot of Andromeda (how can you even judge that from a trailer?!), but they are saying it feels like Andromeda. And the early seasons of that show were apparently fun, so I see nothing wrong with that, personally.

by Anonymousreply 156October 11, 2019 5:27 PM

My boss is obsessed with Star Trek and has brought it up with customers on calls.

Met with crickets.

by Anonymousreply 157October 11, 2019 5:31 PM

It's always awkward when someone brings up (relatively) niche things in conversations with people they don't know that well, so that's not just Trek. There's a time and place for everything.

by Anonymousreply 158October 11, 2019 5:37 PM

R158 What kind of business? If it is a geeky industry it makes sense. When I worked at a tech startup we had office outings to see the new Star Trek films.

by Anonymousreply 159October 12, 2019 1:39 AM

Can't post in the Picard thread (it's almost full anyway), so I'll post this here.

[quote]‘Star Trek: Picard’ to feature ‘Logan’-inspired soft reboot of ‘The Next Generation’, with swearing and intense moments

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160November 4, 2019 3:13 AM

Not a big fan of today's Short Trek. It was okay, but a bit thin, I knew immediately what was going on, and the acting was pretty iffy at times.

by Anonymousreply 161November 14, 2019 4:08 PM

[bold]We lived long and prospered! How Star Trek saved fans' lives[/bold]

A couple of super inspiring stories out in TheGuardian yesterday, for those who might not understand why people are into Star Trek. Some stories in the comments as well.

[quote]Growing up a Jehovah’s Witness in Arkansas, my TV watching was strictly controlled. My Little Pony and The Smurfs were banned for being “demonistic”, but somehow Star Trek slipped through the net. When I was 14, a 51-year-old member of the congregation began grooming me. After the elders found out he had coerced me into having sex, I was “disfellowshipped” – the start of my road to spiritual death, in my mom’s eyes. I left home and moved in with my brother in Utah.

[quote]Away from the church, I turned to Star Trek with fresh eyes. I was struck by the parallels between Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Borg, a race of mindless drones bent on assimilating others into their collective. Online, former Witnesses refer to the official website JW.org as “JW.Borg”. I felt inspired by Seven of Nine (Jeri Ryan) in Voyager, an emancipated drone who fought to regain her individuality.

[quote]Living in the secular world, I often feel like an alien beamed up from a backward planet. I still struggle to celebrate birthdays or say “Bless you!” when someone sneezes. But I’m determined to steer my own course towards Star Trek’s hi-tech future. In my 30s I started community college, and I’m now at university studying bioengineering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162November 14, 2019 11:00 PM

think i am going to pay to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 163November 15, 2019 12:52 AM

[bold]‘Legion’ Creator Noah Hawley in Talks to Write And Direct Next ‘Star Trek’ Film for Paramount[/bold]

[quote]“Legion” creator Noah Hawley is in talks to write and direct the next “star trek” film for Paramount, an individual with knowledge of the project tells TheWrap. The film will be fourth in the series that began with 2009’s “Star Trek” reboot. Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg and Karl Urban are expected to return.

Omg! 🙏

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164November 20, 2019 12:15 AM

R164 WOW! The original ST 4 script was shelved because Paramount didn't want to pay Pine and Chris Hemsworth (who was supposed to reprise his role as Kirk's father) what they had original promised. My hunch at the time was that Paramount would eventually drop Hemsworth (let his contract expire) and pay Pine what they originally promised him. I actually really like Beyond, so I'd be happy to see that cast again...the story didn't mention John Cho though.

by Anonymousreply 165November 20, 2019 12:48 AM

R165 The history is that back in 2016, Paramount negociated a deal with both Pine and Hemsworth offering them each $5 million to do ST4. After Beyond did lukewarm box office, Paramount decided that ST4's budget needed to be cut. In doing so, they re-opened talked with Pine and Hemsworth to lower their salaries. Both actors refused since there was already a deal in place, and the project was shelved. It now appears that Pine will get is $5 million thanks to the money they are saving for cutting Hemsworth out and writing a whole new script.

by Anonymousreply 166November 20, 2019 3:51 PM

The co-writer for the new Star Trek Picard prequel comic gave an interview today. LaForge makes a cameo in the comic. He's been promoted to full commander and is now the head of Starship development for Starfleet. The first comic is due out next week, and will focus on Picard's mission into Romulan space.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167November 23, 2019 5:34 PM

Another page of the Picard comic was released today. The Enterprise-E is still in operation and her captain referred to, but not by name.

by Anonymousreply 168November 25, 2019 9:26 PM

Review of the new Picard comic and new theories about why Picard left starfleet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 27, 2019 10:43 PM

[bold]The Star Trek TV Universe is CBS All Access’ Secret Weapon. Will It Keep Expanding Infinitely?[/bold]

Michelle Yeoh’s ‘Star Trek: Section 31’ series to be inspired by Clint Eastwood’s ‘Unforgiven’, apparently. Also talks about the 'Picard' series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170November 29, 2019 7:49 PM

Wait, Michael Chabon brought his wife/beard onto Picard?

Never mind, then.

by Anonymousreply 171November 29, 2019 8:26 PM

r171 Ayelet Waldman? It's not in her IMDb credits? She exec-produced Unbelievable and that one was good, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 172November 29, 2019 8:30 PM

Another new series?! Sweet.

by Anonymousreply 173November 29, 2019 8:30 PM

They need to slow it down. They're going to keep going until all the shows turn to shit due to inattention and lack of focus.

by Anonymousreply 174November 29, 2019 8:31 PM

Kurtzman says she was involved in the interview.

I find her insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 175November 29, 2019 8:32 PM

[quote]They need to slow it down.

They want to have a Trek show on at all times throughout the year, so people don't unsubscribe.

by Anonymousreply 176November 29, 2019 8:38 PM

I have to admit, I'm a bit worried that this is all a bit too much too quickly. I get why CBS wants more Trek! From a business perspective it makes total sense. Trek is the driver of it's all access subscriptions. Problem is, the new incarnation of the franchise hasn't proved itself quality wise yet. Season 2 of Discovery was a big step up but it still hasn't totally found its footing. Back in the 90s once you had TNG/DS9/VOY in the mix ratings started to go down and certainly after DS9 went off the air the quality of the franchise rapidly declined too. The only good thing is if they plan on not having more than one show on at a time. That might work better.

by Anonymousreply 177November 29, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote]Problem is, the new incarnation of the franchise hasn't proved itself quality wise yet. Season 2 of Discovery was a big step up but it still hasn't totally found its footing.

Initial seasons of Trek post-TOS are notoriously wobbly, so this is a proud tradition by now.

by Anonymousreply 178November 29, 2019 11:23 PM

So allegedly, Rod Roddenberry let slip at Starbase Indy Con yesterday that a Pike series has been green lit by CBS but probably won't go into production for a year or two. He then allegedly realized he wasn't supposed to say anything and said something along the lines of "you didn't hear that from me."

I'm guessing it would go into production in 2022. The reason I suspect this is because Patrick Stewart has confirmed that Picard has been plotted for a three season run which would likely conclude in 2022. Section 31 with Michelle Yeoh is schedule to start filming in either late 2020 or early 2021. From a buget point of view, it's unlikely CBS wants more than three live action Trek shows at one time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179November 30, 2019 3:03 PM

I don't know if this has posted before or not, but it's about Jeri freaking out that she wouldn't be able get into a Seven who's been on Earth for twenty years.

What I love is that it was Jonathan Del Arco who got her through it. I love that they're friends off the set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180November 30, 2019 4:41 PM

Trek is as timeless as the zipper in the back of Wesley Crusher's pants.

What a whore.

by Anonymousreply 181November 30, 2019 6:09 PM

They been begging him for over a decade. PS must be making bank. Good for him. I love him and will probably buy this show thing will it drops live. I just have to figure out how.

by Anonymousreply 182December 3, 2019 5:43 AM

[bold]Iconic Star Trek Writer Dorothy “D.C.” Fontana Passes Away at 80[/bold]

[quote]Fontana’s Star Trek writing credits include the Original Series episodes “The Enterprise Incident,” “Journey to Babel,” “This Side of Paradise,” “Tomorrow is Yesterday,” and “Charlie X.” Following the cancellation of Star Trek in 1969, she worked on several television series, including Logan’s Run, The Six Million Dollar Man and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. She would later go on to be a producer on Star Trek: The Animated Series, where she wrote the episode “Yesteryear” and on Star Trek: The Next Generation, where she wrote the series pilot episode “Encounter at Farpoint,” in addition to “The Naked Now,” “Too Short a Season,” and “Heart of Glory.” She would return to the Star Trek franchise to pen the Deep Space Nine first-season episode “Dax.”

[quote]Fontana’s work on the Next Generation pilot “Encounter at Farpoint” (which she co-wrote with Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry) earned her a Hugo Award nomination in 1988 for Best Dramatic Presentation. She is survived by her husband, Oscar-winning visual effects cinematographer Dennis Skotak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 3, 2019 8:32 PM

Rene Auberjonois has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184December 8, 2019 10:03 PM

Add to the list Robert Walker Jr who died several days ago.

Charlie X don't surf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185December 9, 2019 2:42 AM

Marina’s husband died as well.

by Anonymousreply 186December 9, 2019 12:12 PM

Star Trek curse?

by Anonymousreply 187December 9, 2019 4:51 PM

R184 Very sad about Rene. Apparently he was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer this pasts summer.

R186 Marina's husband's death is surprising but I'm wondering if it was somewhat expected. The reaction of Marina's co-stars seem to suggest he may have been unwell.

by Anonymousreply 188December 9, 2019 11:12 PM

Wonderful tribute to Rene from Nana Visitor was published in Variety yesterday. It's interesting to see that Rene was friends with a lot of Star Trek alumni not just the DS9 cast. Kate Mulgrew, Brent Spiner, Jonathan Frakes, Gates McFadden, Shatner (they worked together on Boston Legal), and George Takei have all talked about their personal friendships with him.

As for Marina's husband, it appears this was not an expected death. Apparently he and his band performed that night, he came home and tragically died in his sleep. His band, Steely Jam, had tour dates set up for all of December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 10, 2019 2:51 PM

My mother has been a Trekkie since before I was born. She managed to get me into comic books, nature, animals, Meryl Streep and Jessica Lange. My love of acting, film and the creative arts comes largely from her (followed by my father, a big film buff). She never could manage to get me into Star Trek. Sure, I’ve enjoyed more than my fair share of classic Star Trek episodes (the two-part “The Menagerie” instantly comes to mind), I can sit through the vintage films in a pleasant haze and I thoroughly enjoy the new millennium film trilogy, but I’ve never truly felt sucked into the mythos the way I feel like I am watching Star Trek: Discovery. My reasons in quick bites: First, technology for television has finally caught up with this iconic and long-lasting franchise, giving it the breadth and scope of a cinematic film. This helps, for the show’s home is in the grand, vast and epic: space. Second, it has one of the most charismatic, deliciously diverse and fantastically talented casts of any of it’s predecessors. Hell, of any show going now! Sonequa Martin-Green is a revelation of beauty, charisma and sheer talent. She is hands down my favorite lead of any Star Trek project ever. (The “real Trekkies” may hate and/or disagree with me. If it makes you feel better, my mother refuses to “betray” Kathryn Janeway.) Going on and on about why having Martin-Green as the lead is so perfect, so iconic, so important... so necessary is tempting but alas, I won’t bore you with reasons you are already fully aware of, I’m sure. She has an emotionally powerful scene this season whilst deciding whether or not to aide a shipmate and friend desperate to end his suffering that to blew me away. This one is one to watch. She reminds of a young Angela Bassett but dare I say... more beautiful? The rest of the cast is equally sublime. Mary Wiseman, Anthony Rapp., Shazad Latif and Wilson Cruz (Ricky!} bring a comedic and heartwarming melancholy to the proceedings that is both refreshing and nostalgic (for me, recalling the tone and nuances of classic 90’s shows like “My So-Called Life”). Doug Jones does brilliant work under heavy prosthetics as the great, mysterious and intriguing Saru, my favorite behind Spock, of course, of the alien main characters. Michelle Yeoh is a delight and along with Jason Isaacs, Jayne Brook and Anson Mount all bring a sexy, stately, old-school vibe to the proceedings, all being equally and reliably great. I don’t want to get into much else, quite frankly. If you’re a Trekkie and haven’t seen it, IT GOES EVERYWHERE SO CHECK IT OUT NOW! If not, and you haven’t seen anything having to do with Star Trek, I say jump right in. For some context, watch “The Menagerie” two-parter of the original series and maybe check out the recent film trilogy. Or just jump right in. I was the op for the first “Star Trek: Discovery” thread on here. I included “Part 1” in the title but never really kept up with the thread nor did I create any of the subsequent threads. In fact, I’m just catching up with season 2 now (I bought it on blu-ray because I loved the first season and my mom loved this season so much I figured I’d take a gamble). I’ve been so impressed, I felt compelled to post a review because I can’t post in the “Part 4” and couldn’t find another Discovery thread. Besides, I WANT to promote it. Star Trek is finally at home as the television series it once was and was always meant to be: revealing, boundary-breaking and unifying.

by Anonymousreply 190December 10, 2019 4:59 PM

Michael Chabon is out as Picard show runner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191December 10, 2019 11:02 PM

Sad now that I think that Patrick Stewart will likely pass away during the making of Picard.

by Anonymousreply 192December 14, 2019 6:56 AM

Watched the two new Short Treks just now. So wholesome, they put a big fat grin on my face.

by Anonymousreply 193December 14, 2019 2:44 PM

R192 What do you say that? Yes, Patrick Stewart is old, but he seems to be in strong shape. Besides, according to both Stewart and Kurtzman, the plan is Picard will run for three seasons and that's it.

As for Chabon's departure, I'm not sure what to make of it. The fact that he's staying with CBS suggests they're very pleased with him...if there was an issue with him they would have shown him the door. According to Kurtzman the plot for three years worth of Picard has already been drafted so maybe they feel the show will be fine with out him? It's like Kirsten Beyer will become the new showrunner.

by Anonymousreply 194December 14, 2019 10:47 PM

"Early 2020" for DISCO return. It probably means the first half of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 15, 2019 3:38 PM

R195 CBS wants Star Trek to start airing year round on all-access. Season 1 of Picard is set to run from January to April. The latest production update is that Season 3 of Discovery is already beyond the halfway mark...allegedly, filming is progressing a lot faster than seasons 1 and 2 likely due to the lack of turnover in the writers room this year. I suspect Discovery will debut within a month or so after Picard. Picard season 2 is supposedly set to start film in March 2020 which means it could be ready as early as next fall. The Section 31 series is allegedly set to start filming next summer.

by Anonymousreply 196December 15, 2019 7:13 PM

Lower Decks will be in there somewhere as well.

I'm hoping they continue with Short Treks if there are any gaps. There hasn't been one I haven't at least liked, and several of them I've loved. The two animated ones, particularly the one with the tardigrade, were super-cute. And I loved that in the other one, Michael's father was wearing the same uniform George Kirk wore at the beginning of Star Trek.

by Anonymousreply 197December 15, 2019 7:26 PM

When are they going to make that Star Trek: After Dark show? Hm? I mean, come on...holodecks + long space missions + danger = boomchickawowwow.

by Anonymousreply 198December 15, 2019 10:18 PM

R196 Actually, Discovery season 3 is set to wrap filming this week. According to some of the cast's twitters, they are currently filming the season finale. According to ACTRA Toronto (this is the Canadian version of SAG) production for season 3 of Discovery is set for July 8 to December 23. With a 13 episode order, this mean it's a shooting schedule of about 10 working days per episode which is fairly standard for hour long TV shows these days. This means a good chunk of the season is already in post-production.

I'm guessing Season 3 of Discover will debut in late April, a couple of weeks after Picard is completed it's first season. I think Lower Decks will come out in the fall, and then season 2 of Picard will air in January 2021.

by Anonymousreply 199December 16, 2019 4:19 AM

Merry Christmas from Captain Picard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200December 16, 2019 11:50 PM

Just finished season 2 of Discovery last night...

omgomgomgomg!

Martin-Green deserves a fucking Emmy for her work this season. Truly stunning.

I am in love with this iteration of Star Trek. Completely and utterly in love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 16, 2019 11:56 PM

Picard has officially been renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202December 17, 2019 12:00 AM

Although this was already 'unofficially' confirmed, season 2 of Picard has officially be green lighted by CBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203December 17, 2019 12:01 AM

Chabon will be the showrunner for the long-awaited series adaptation of his best book, "The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay."

by Anonymousreply 204December 18, 2019 1:59 AM

New short Star Trek Picard trailer out. Some interesting stuff in it:

The opening scene has Picard sitting what appears to be the Enterprise-D's ten forward lounge as a planet (Mars?) is under attack.

Picard states he is haunted by his past, which seems to confirm the rumors he's dealing with some serious PTSD

He is now on a search for the truth.

The rest of the trailer mostly contains footage we've already seen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 20, 2019 6:40 PM

Picard looks like he's jacking off in that opening clip.

by Anonymousreply 206December 22, 2019 1:44 AM

LeVar Burton just posted this picture of the TNG cast and some family members at a holiday party this evening

According to people on twitter from left to right you've got: Levar Burton, Jackson Spiner (Brent's son), Loree McBride (Brent's wife), Stephanie Cozart Burton (LeVar's wife), Michaela Jean Burton (LeVar's daughter) ?? (Michael Dorn's partner?), Michael Dorn, Brent Spiner, Rick Berman, Will Wheaton, Anne Wheaton (Will's wife), Gates McFadden, James McFadden Talbot (Gates' son she was pregnant with during season 4), Elizabeth Berman (Rick's wife), Molly Berman, (Rick's daughter), Genie Francis (Jonathan's Wife) and Jonathan Frakes.

Marina sirtis was in attendance but not pictured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 23, 2019 4:39 AM

Different angle which includes Marina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 23, 2019 1:03 PM

You can tell Marina is sad.

by Anonymousreply 209December 23, 2019 1:39 PM

posted by Brent

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 23, 2019 2:19 PM

Gates' hair, wig or otherwise, looks great.

by Anonymousreply 211December 23, 2019 2:32 PM

R211 it's here real hair....she stopped dying it about a year ago. She looks great but clearly has some work done. Botox, fillers, and eye bags removed

by Anonymousreply 212December 23, 2019 9:20 PM

First look at our gay Borg fella.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 24, 2019 12:45 AM

CBS dropped a couple of new Picard TV spots last night, none are online...yet. However, some stills were posted on Twitter. We get our first real look at the new Starfleet uniforms and combadge, and more shots of Troi and Riker.

It appears that Troi is the one who bring Picard to meet Will. From the look on her face, it seems that maybe Will isn't thrilled to see Picard at first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 30, 2019 3:09 PM

R214 I have to wait to see the uniform in HD, but I'm kind of disappointed that they basically reverted to the DS9/VOY uniforms with some modifications. I do, however, like that the new combadges closely resemble the ones we saw in the alternative futures of TNG's "All Good Things," DS9's "The Visitor," and VOY's "Endgame."

by Anonymousreply 215December 30, 2019 3:42 PM

new TV trailer is up .... low quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 30, 2019 9:24 PM

CBS has been putting out new Picard promos left, right, and center. Most contain stuff we've already seen, but there has been some new revelations.

1) The woman Data is seen painting in one of the full trailers is Dahj

2) Picard makes reference to "a powerful new enemy " and "tens of thousands have died."

3) Picard is seen having dinner with Troi and Riker saying "I have a new mission now."

4 ) Finally a new commercial talking about loss has the song "Blue Skies" playing in the background - this is the song Data sang at Troi and Riker's wedding.

by Anonymousreply 217January 5, 2020 5:18 AM

R217 another teaser trailer:

In this one picard says: "all that silence, I've forgotten how much I loved it." and another scene where he appears to be asking an Admiral, "I'd like you to reinstate me for one mission."

by Anonymousreply 218January 5, 2020 6:25 PM

They also released a new trailer for the "Children of Mars" Short Trek that's tied into Picard. It shows two tween girls--one human, one alien--who are mortal enemies until some big emergency happens.

Given the title, and that we've seen Picard have visions of a red planet burning, I guess an attack on Mars was the thing that made him retire?

by Anonymousreply 219January 5, 2020 10:54 PM

Sorry, link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220January 5, 2020 10:54 PM

The official Star Trek website has post a list of Star Trek episodes and films you should watch before the first episode of Picard....most are TNG but there is one Voyager episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 7, 2020 5:17 AM

Interesting that they list almost all the TNG movies. Probably the only time Nemesis and Insurrection have been considered required viewing.

by Anonymousreply 222January 7, 2020 10:35 AM

R222 I actually watched all the TNG movies over the holidays for the first time in almost 20 years. Nemesis and Insurrection are far from perfect films, but they're actually better than I remember. Funny, I really enjoyed Insurrection. Yeah it felt like a two-hour episode, but that is part of its charm. It's the only TNG film that is more lighthearted and I guess because we haven't seen these characters together since 2002, I got caught up in the nostalgia of it.

Nemesis' problem rests in its pacing and some script issues. It feels like they needed one more solid draft to get it where it needed to be. The middle of the movie is boring and the film lacks character moments. Why this movie is a failure for me is that this was meant to be the TNG swan song, but it does such a great disservice to all the characters.

by Anonymousreply 223January 7, 2020 3:14 PM

There are parts of Insurrection that I do really like, it's just that most of them don't involve either Picard or Data, which form the bulk of the movie.

I was definitely there for Riker and Troi getting back together.

The best thing about it is the commentary track Marina and Frakes did for the Blu-Ray. Marina had never seen the whole movie because she admitted to falling asleep at the premiere, and spent half of it confused and the other half correctly identifying plot holes. I wish they'd do one for every movie.

by Anonymousreply 224January 7, 2020 7:05 PM

Yeah, the films focused on Data way too much.

Picard, I can understand but Spiner was given way too much influence over the films.

Poor Gates and Burton barely registered in any of the films.

by Anonymousreply 225January 7, 2020 7:11 PM

And Burton has the best scene in Insurrection. It's insane.

by Anonymousreply 226January 7, 2020 7:11 PM

I guess that is why I loved DS9 so much. Everyone was given time to shine pretty even keeled. Not just the main cast but the supporting players, too.

Voyager also played heavy with Janeway, the Doc and 7 but the rest of the cast was so unlikable that you didn't mind so much.

Never could get into Enterprise.

by Anonymousreply 227January 7, 2020 7:16 PM

Maybe it's revisionist, but rewatching Enterprise here and there, I'm a little kinder to it. I was really surprised by how much I ended up liking T'Pol. Jolene Blalock isn't as good an actress as Jeri Ryan, so it's harder to see past the tits, but one they stopped trying to force her into sexual tension with Archer, she became pretty awesome.

by Anonymousreply 228January 7, 2020 7:25 PM

A ton of new interviews by Patrick Stewart today....in his interview with variety he gives some spoilers:

"Picard finds its hero living in near-isolation on a very un-cosmic French vineyard. He is retired and estranged from Starfleet, the interstellar navy to which he devoted most of his life. He’s haunted by a pair of catastrophes, one personal, the other societal — the death of his android colleague Lt. Cmdr. Data and a refugee crisis spawned by the destruction of the planet Romulus. When those two seemingly disparate strands of his life cross, Picard returns to action, this time without the backing of a Starfleet whose moral center has shifted."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 9, 2020 1:11 AM

Interesting....

by Anonymousreply 230January 9, 2020 3:42 AM

"Children of Mars" has dropped. It's short (about 7 minutes), almost completely without dialog, and emotionally socks you right in the gut.

I won't say anything else until others get a chance to see it.

by Anonymousreply 231January 9, 2020 10:57 AM

It's also listed as being "Based Upon Star Trek: The Next Generation as Created by Gene Roddenberry." That's new.

by Anonymousreply 232January 9, 2020 10:45 PM

Okay so SPOILERS for Children of Mars

I really liked this episode, and it really raises more questions. So the fans were right, Mars is attacked, but the attack is committed by 'rouge synths.' Clearly the attack on Mars is to mirror 9/11. Also interesting note, the new screen says a federation task force is warping to Mars to defend the planet....where the hell were all the ships? This makes me think that the attack occurs after the rescue armada La Forge is building has left for Romulan space.

by Anonymousreply 233January 10, 2020 2:16 AM

One thing it really made me desire is some kind of Rogue One or Mandalorian-type show or even (streaming) movie that focuses on civilians instead of Starfleet.

There was a novel about ten years ago called Articles of the Federation that was able the newly-elected president (a crusty grandma-type; basically Space Ann Richards) and her staff during her first year in office. The Trek Wing, if you will. Unfortunately, it wasn't that successful, but the other novel writers really liked the character, and used her as a supporting player in a lot of the subsequent books.

by Anonymousreply 234January 10, 2020 1:08 PM

R234 none of the main characters in Picard are active Starfleet officers.

by Anonymousreply 235January 10, 2020 10:41 PM

That's not quite what I mean. I'd kind of like a "Lower Decks"-style view of the Federation.

by Anonymousreply 236January 11, 2020 12:48 AM

Jeri Ryan gives some major spoilers in this interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237January 14, 2020 12:36 AM

Great new interview with Marina and Brent....Marina wears her Nemesis wig (which she stole) in her upcoming Picard appearance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238January 14, 2020 1:42 AM

The only thing that could have made me love Marina more was finding out that she was a wig-thief.

She's our spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 239January 14, 2020 1:45 AM

Picard had it's official premiere in LA this evening. Gates McFadden posted this picture a few minutes ago. Gates is the only TNG cast member who (allegedly) isn't appearing in season one to attend. LeVar Burton did attend Patrick Stewart's Hollywood Star of Fame ceremony a few hours earlier, but didn't attend the premiere. This is creating whispers that maybe Beverly actually does appear in season one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240January 14, 2020 5:28 AM

Apparently, there are two other live action shows that are being worked on, but aren't announced yet.

I'm assuming one is the Pike series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241January 14, 2020 10:06 AM

Gates McFadden has confirmed via Twitter that does NOT make an appearance in season one of Picard. It's likely, however, that we'll Dr. Crusher at some point down the road. Stewart has made it clear a few times now, that he hopes to have all the TNG regulars appear before the show ends. I say save Dr. Crusher for the end, so the show can end with her and Picard finally an item.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242January 14, 2020 5:06 PM

First full clip from Picard has been posted by CBS! Picard speaks [terrible] French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243January 16, 2020 8:50 PM

Interesting list of Star Trek episodes and movies to watch before Picard. This list covers all the series except Enterprise and Discovery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 16, 2020 11:29 PM

Per Michelle Paradise's Twitter, Disco S3 has wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 245January 18, 2020 12:21 AM

R244, meet R221.

by Anonymousreply 246January 22, 2020 9:40 AM

Whoopi Goldberg will reprise her role as Guinan in Season 2 of Picard :)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247January 22, 2020 6:13 PM

The reviews for Picard are overwhelmingly positive so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248January 24, 2020 1:29 AM

I saw the first episode tonight: it was really strange.

SPOILERS

Brent Spiner looks great for seventy (if a little puffy and saggy) as Data (in two dream sequences), but Patrick Stewart looks every one of his seventy-nine years.

The depiction of Earth in this episode was so strange. There are still streets in major cities, and there's a kind of black Barbara Walters-like celebrity journalist who interviews Picard on what looks to be a CNN-like holographic news channel. Picard's farm is all done up in 20th century furniture, though no one ever explains why.

There's a hard-to-watch scene where what looks to be Data's daughter (a new character) races with Picard up a staircase to the top of a building, and he gasps and seizes up with pain from the exertion. They're not hiding his age, which I guess makes sense.

A trailer for the rest of the season shows Picard meeting up with Seven of Nine, and a fat(ter) and grey Riker and a fat Troi.

We discover after the supernova of Romulus's sun 20 years ago, Picard tried to help all 900 million surviving Romulans be re-settled, but there was some sort of disaster at the Starfleet shipyards on Mars caused by "synthetics' (androids) that killed thousands of people, and led Starfleet to outlaw all synthetics/androids in the Federation, which led the Federation in turn (for some reason) to abandon the Romulan resettlement. We find at the end of the episode the Romulans have a Resettlement Zone instead in an abandoned and damaged Borg cube. The Romulans still have pointed ears and angled eyebrows, but they seem to have lost their forehead ridges, and they don't wear silver clothes or have their hair styled in angular haircuts anymore--they were all played by British actors, so they now have inexplicable posh English accents and have messy tousled hair.

by Anonymousreply 249January 24, 2020 4:19 AM

Just watched the first episode of Picard AND LOVED IT! Such a vast improvement over Discovery.

R249 there is a podcast on Deadline that features an interview with Patrick Stewart and the show's producers. Spiner was digitally de-aged to appear closer to how he looked in Nemesis. As for Patrick Stewart, he purposely wanted to appear old (so he wears very little makeup) because he wanted to stress the passage of time. They wanted to do something very rarely done in Hollywood, tell a story of a man in the final chapter of his life.

by Anonymousreply 250January 26, 2020 12:02 AM

Picard scored major ratings in Canada. It was estimated that 1.1 million viewers watched the show during it's airing on CTV Sci-fi Channel (Canada is the only market where new Star Trek shows run on TV rather than just streaming). The show was one of the most watched hours of TV on Thursday night. Canada generally has low viewership numbers due to it's small population. The most watched shows in Canada typically only get a viewership of between 800K and 1.2 million viewers. Schitt's Creek typically gets about 600K viewers an episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251January 26, 2020 12:09 AM

[quote]There are still streets in major cities

Why wouldn't there be?

by Anonymousreply 252January 26, 2020 12:09 AM

The first episode was excellent - I'm very excited for the series, particularly since they have it all planned out as a 3-year arc. That means they won't be doing a Lost (make-it-up-as-you-go).

by Anonymousreply 253January 26, 2020 1:57 PM

Episode 2 spoilers:

Picard has a defect in his parietal lobe which will eventually prove to be fatal (this harkens back to All Good Things where Picard had Irumodic Syndrome in the future).

There are direct references to Riker, Worf and La Forge (meaning he survived the Mars attack). There is also an indirect reference to Dr. Crusher when speaking about his diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 254January 30, 2020 6:52 PM

Good review here that also lists a somewhat big continuity error. Loved the scene with Picard and the Admiral

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255January 31, 2020 2:41 AM

So are Narek and the disguised Lieutenant really ST2009's Nero's siblings?

I can't tell the Vulcan females apart from the Romulan ones. Was the Commodore a Vulcan or Romulan.

At least on TNG the female Romulans has the foreheads like the males so you could differentiate them from the Vulcans.

by Anonymousreply 256January 31, 2020 9:09 AM

[quote]Was the Commodore a Vulcan or Romulan.

She' pretty clearly a Tal Shiar mole.

by Anonymousreply 257January 31, 2020 9:45 AM

I think Commodore appears to be a Vulcan...the female Romulan spy called her one of their allies.

by Anonymousreply 258January 31, 2020 1:30 PM

This is the first time Trek has acknowledged a Commodore since TOS, right?

by Anonymousreply 259January 31, 2020 1:52 PM

R259 It is the first on screen reference to Commodore since TOS. However, in a few episodes of TNG and DS9, the rank of Commodore was seen on screen displays in various episodes.

by Anonymousreply 260January 31, 2020 6:56 PM

The Commodore would. almost have to be Vulcan. It would make little sense for a Romulan to have risen to that rank since they were still mortal enemies of the Federation at the time their sun went supernova.

by Anonymousreply 261February 3, 2020 3:51 AM

She was referred to as Romulan on the after-show.

by Anonymousreply 262February 3, 2020 9:13 AM

Random: I just watched an interview with Anson Mount talking about playing Captain Pike, and does he not ping for some of you? I know he recently got married to his long-time girlfriend, but I feel like he's not entirely straight.

by Anonymousreply 263February 4, 2020 10:51 PM

She's a Vulcan. Confirmed tonight.

I LOVE Laris....such a badass!!!

You just know she and Zhaban have wild, loud Romulan sex and Picard has to bang on the wall to quiet them down!

by Anonymousreply 264February 6, 2020 11:01 AM

Picard did not mention Zhat Vash by name when speaking with Admiral Clancy, yet Commodore Oh said that very thing to Lt. Rizzo.

I think the Commodore is actually a double agent who successfully infiltrated Zhat Vash but whose loyalty is still with the Federation...

by Anonymousreply 265February 6, 2020 11:39 AM

The thing is that this show is playing it so well that R265 may be right about Oh!

by Anonymousreply 266February 6, 2020 12:14 PM

R263 Well, his wife is Asian and he's a really doting "dog dad". On the other hand, he's really into straight guy shit like the Civil War and power washing his house. So I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 267February 6, 2020 12:28 PM

I've never really paid attention to Michelle Hurd before but fuck if her acting wasn't phenomenal in this new episode.

Really held her own with Stewart.

I'm feeling more for/from her than any of the supporting cast of TNG for the first few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 268February 6, 2020 12:43 PM

I will have you EJECTED into SPACE R268!

by Anonymousreply 269February 6, 2020 12:48 PM

Wrong thread, R267.

by Anonymousreply 270February 6, 2020 4:48 PM

R270 how is this the wrong thread? This is a Star Trek Thread R267 talking about a Star Trek actor. I think Mount is one of those "straight, but get him drunk enough" kind of sexually fluid artist.

by Anonymousreply 271February 6, 2020 6:43 PM

I have to agree with this review. I think this episode was good, but there are moments (Mostly the Borg stuff) that I kind of found boring.

Also this review points out something about Commodore Oh. Vulcans have inner eyelids so sunglasses are redundant. I think she is a Romulan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272February 6, 2020 11:58 PM

My mistake, R267.

by Anonymousreply 273February 7, 2020 9:41 AM

Did anyone feel like Rios was in some kind of relationship with the holograms that were set to look like him?

by Anonymousreply 274February 7, 2020 12:43 PM

R274 Would sex with a hologram that's modeled after your own physical appearance be considered a form of masturbation? I don't think his relationship with the holograms is sexual. I think they show his isolation and that he has had no connect with flesh and blood beings since the events that pushed him out of Starfleet. Based on some clips we say in the comic con trailers, he and Dr. Jurati do get it on at some point.

by Anonymousreply 275February 7, 2020 2:42 PM

I find it strangely disconcerting that many bigger Trek fan reviewers like Picard, but the "institutional" reviewers, like IGN, are giving it fairly low reviews in the 6-score range for aired episodes.

by Anonymousreply 276February 7, 2020 3:02 PM

R276 That's because most "institutional" reviewers are not the show's target audience. This doesn't apply just to Picard or Star Trek, but this happens all the time. The fan reaction seems to be very positive, while critical reaction is mixed.

by Anonymousreply 277February 7, 2020 3:12 PM

It's definitely at a more deliberate pace than other Trek shows (a friend complained "Nothing happens!") and it's pretty talky so far, but I assume that will change a bit now that all the chess pieces are in place.

by Anonymousreply 278February 7, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote]That's because most "institutional" reviewers are not the show's target audience. This doesn't apply just to Picard or Star Trek, but this happens all the time. The fan reaction seems to be very positive, while critical reaction is mixed.

I'm not sure who their target audience would be if NOT IGN - a site devoted to the comic con crowd and fanboys of genre fiction, movies, and comics.

IGN gave The Last Jedi a rave review calling it a tour de force and giving it a 9.7 - when the movie is clearly flawed from a plotting, pacing, story, and character development perspective.

It seems that the institutional reviewers like IGN (hollywood reporter, variety, et al.) have jumped onto to the diversity/woke bandwagon and base their reviews on that as opposed to more objective standards such as Siskel and Ebert might have used, such as plot, pacing, character development, etc.

Don't get me wrong - Picard is not a 10. It's an 8.0-8.5, 7.5 if you want to start dinging it for too much exposition and pacing beginning to drag.

by Anonymousreply 279February 7, 2020 4:52 PM

Pandora Boxx outed herself as a Trekkie by squeeing over Picard on Twitter.

Alaska has cosplayed as Troi before.

Who knew there were so much crossover between Star Trek and Drag Race.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280February 8, 2020 2:58 AM

This isn’t official, you BITCH!

by Anonymousreply 281February 8, 2020 3:26 AM

A few things:

While I'm really liking Picard, I felt the latest episode dragged. However, the first three episodes of this season were actually written as two but expanded to three after producers felt there was too much ground to cover. I think that was a mistake.

In other news, Rebecca Romijn has a new interview out and she briefly talks about Star Trek stating "she can't talk about it." It's sounding more and more certain that a Pike series is effectively in the bag. I'm assuming Anson Mount, Romijn, and Ethan Peck have contracts in place and have NDAs in place until an official announcement is made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282February 8, 2020 5:14 AM

So the first Picard tie-in novel is out in most bookstores (though it's official release date is not until this Tues. Feb 11). The novel (The Last Best Hope) is considered canon like the Countdown comics, unless the show's writer's decide to change some events. Overall, the novel is kind of 'meh' but it does give us more background on Raffi and her relationships with Picard. It's very much a mentor-student thing. There are some interesting spoliers about some of the legacy TNG characters

SPOILERS: Worf is promoted to Captain of the Enterprise. He is not well liked by Admiral Clancy and there is a suggestion he may be sacked. The Enterprise is ordered not to take part in the Romulan rescue mission.

Beverly has remained CMO of the Enterprise-E (so the cut scenes from Nemesis where it states she is leaving for Starfleet medical were ignored). She is the first person Picard tells (via subspace) of his promotion to Admiral and his new mission. There is a moment when Picard wants to ask her to join him and Beverly seems to be expecting it, but he chickens out and she sighs suggestion frustration. There is a definite subtext to this scene in which Beverly seems hurt that he didn't ask her and while she congratulates him .... you get the sense this was their last conversation. Picard tells her "thank you for everything.

Troi and Riker are on the Titan, and LaForge is being reassigned to Mars.

by Anonymousreply 283February 9, 2020 6:33 PM

And Nurse Ogawa is still giving hand jobs to eager young ensigns in sick bay.

by Anonymousreply 284February 9, 2020 6:37 PM

R284 ahahahahahaha!!!!

by Anonymousreply 285February 9, 2020 10:57 PM

7 of 9 is back bitches..........

by Anonymousreply 286February 13, 2020 9:00 PM

I hate that CBS All Access goes immediately into previews of next week. For those of us who hate spoilers, it's aggravating.

by Anonymousreply 287February 14, 2020 2:45 AM

I find the portrayals of the Romulans so far on "Picard" very weird. Why are their hairstyles so different now? All the Romulans we had seen on all the ST series before this had straight dark hair (with the single exceptions of the Romulan commander from "The Enterprise incident" on TOS who had wavy hair, and Sela, who was half-human and had straight blonde hair). Now they have curly hair, kinky hair, light hair... all kinds of hair.

And why are so few of them devious and bitchy? That was always my favorite thing about the Romulans--they were like the gay Star Trek villains, always ready with a waspish quip. Now they all seem pretty uninteresting.

I also don't understand why the new captain figure, Rios, speaks Spanish sometimes and has a ship called La Sirena (The Mermaid) when they all have universal translators. Aren't they all speaking the same language that is translated to us on TV as English?

by Anonymousreply 288February 16, 2020 6:02 AM

Not sure we ever saw any "average Joe" Romulans before this series. Perhaps the straight dark hair is a military/senatorial class kind of thing?

by Anonymousreply 289February 16, 2020 4:16 PM

[quote] Not sure we ever saw any "average Joe" Romulans before this series.

We did, in the TNG two-parter episodes "Unification I & II," where Picard and Data go undercover on Romulus and meet up with Spock and members of the Romulan Underground. Everyone has the straight dark hair.

by Anonymousreply 290February 16, 2020 4:32 PM

Well then. Let's just surmise that when Romulus went kaboom, the survivors didn't have time to grab their hair products before they escaped.

by Anonymousreply 291February 16, 2020 4:37 PM

Any scene thus far with Harry Treadaway’s character is completely pointless and brings all plot development and general tempo of the show to a complete stop. Don’t believe me? Fast forward through any of his scenes and you will miss absolutely nothing. No important revelations, no furthering of plot, nada. This reminds me of season one of Discovery where, just as the plot dares raise its ugly head, we are whisked away to read subtitles for ten minutes between orcs with bedazzled armor trying to pass for Klingons. You could usually fast forward through those scenes without any loss as well.

by Anonymousreply 292February 17, 2020 9:01 PM

If someone years ago had told me told me, "Someday you will see another daughter of Data, and she will be seen romantically frolicking in an abandoned Borg cube with a curly-haired Romulan player-type," I would not only said, "That could never happen," but also, "Why???"

by Anonymousreply 293February 17, 2020 9:09 PM

And do we really need Legolas the Dreamy Elf binding his sword to Picard’s quest? Who green lights this sort of writing? Does Chabon have no one to check his creative impulses?

by Anonymousreply 294February 19, 2020 12:18 AM

I need that "Legolas the Dreamy Elf" Romulan in me quite deeply R294

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 19, 2020 11:33 PM

So just watched episode 5....I'll try to keep it as spoiler free possible. This episode sets up some serious emotional shit right from the first [gory] opening scene that may be controversial for fans of Voyager. Oh, and Seven is a lesbian now? I have to say.....I'm disappointed. This is a little too bleak for me. It's good television BUT where is the optimism? I understand that the producers (and Stewart) wanted to make this show uniquely separate from TNG, but this doesn't even feel like the same universe anymore.

by Anonymousreply 296February 20, 2020 4:23 PM

[quote]It's good television BUT where is the optimism?

The show is about Picard trying to bring it back.

by Anonymousreply 297February 21, 2020 12:43 AM

Also, WOW did Seven's former scissor sister look like a young Marina.

by Anonymousreply 298February 21, 2020 12:44 AM

The show has too many Star Wars elements for my taste. Freehold and it's bar, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 299February 21, 2020 1:58 AM

SPOILERS:

I don't mind that the killed Icheb off (also glad they didn't bring back the original actor given all the different issues and allegations surrounding him) but I felt that scene was a step too far. I understand why they decided to be so graphic. The brutal nature of the scene underscores how horrific Icheb's death was and why it basically destroyed Seven's idealism, but they went a step too far. There was no need to graphically show his eye being ripped out.

by Anonymousreply 300February 21, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]the original actor given all the different issues and allegations surrounding him)

Fill us in.

I LOVE that while Rios disguied himself as a pimp, Picard chose to beam down as Madame X. All he was missing was his antique typewriter.

Agnes is a murderess! Was that original actor who played Maddox?

by Anonymousreply 301February 21, 2020 11:22 PM

I still stand by what I said earlier that, aside from Stewart, Michelle Hurd is acting the fuck out of this show.

She is really elevating this show.

by Anonymousreply 302February 21, 2020 11:52 PM

R301 Manu Intiraymi, who played Icheb on Voyager, was not asked back [allegedly] for a number of reasons!

1) When Anthony Rapp (Paul Stamets on DISCO) went public with his allegations against Kevin Spacey, Intiraymi went on a Twitter tirade against Rapp and basically stated that what Spacey did to the 14 year old Rapp was "acceptable at the time" and that the allegations against Spacey were just "liberal pussy bullshit." Given that the entire Trek production team has been vocal in their support for Rapp, this alone probably killed any chance he had of returning.

2) On top of these tweets, he has also posted a number of misogynist and sexist things about women, and has sent very sexually suggestive stuff to Jeri Ryan.

3) Some large convention organizers have allegedly banned him as there are allegations of him hitting on underage female fans. Several fans have posted about their experiences on reddit.

by Anonymousreply 303February 22, 2020 3:52 AM

So much for my hoping at he and Keegan DeLancie boned.

by Anonymousreply 304February 22, 2020 3:58 AM

That Voyager crew had some real nutcase crew members.

Manu, Lien, Beltran...Dawson is now a fundie freak.

by Anonymousreply 305February 22, 2020 9:11 AM

[quote]Was that original actor who played Maddox?

No. Original was Brian Brophy in the TNG episode.

That was John Ales in Picard.

by Anonymousreply 306February 22, 2020 1:34 PM

R305 I don't think Beltran was a nutcase, rather, he was vocal in his criticism of the show. Beltran, like many of the cast on Voyager, got fed up with direction of the show and didn't hold back.

by Anonymousreply 307February 22, 2020 1:42 PM

How fucking ridiculous that an EMH can be deactivated as it is witnessing a murder in progress.

by Anonymousreply 308February 23, 2020 2:40 AM

R308 I agree, that was stupid.

R307 Yes, Beltran and most of the supporting cast of Voyager were unhappy during the later seasons. Beltran wanted off the show by the end of season five but Paramount would not release him from his contract. I think he started lashing out in the press in the hopes he'd get fired. Also Beltran and Mulgrew were not on good terms for the last year or two of the show. One reason was that he was pro-Jeri Ryan, and second it has long been rumored (Marina Sirtis has kind of confirmed this) that Mulgrew and Beltran were fucking during the early years of the show and it ended badly.

by Anonymousreply 309February 23, 2020 2:54 AM

I thought Beltran was gay.

by Anonymousreply 310February 23, 2020 5:34 AM

R310 After Voyager ended, he married (a woman) with whom he has a daughter and moved to Germany.

by Anonymousreply 311February 23, 2020 1:25 PM

[quote]After Voyager ended, he married (a woman) with whom he has a daughter and moved to Germany.

It always strikes me that being on Trek in the main cast is a somewhat double-edged sword.

On the one hand, few people were recognizable actors before taking on the roles. But, few of them have any sort of career after it's over.

I can only think of a few who I'd consider consistently "working actors" after their show ended - Patrick Stewart (of course), Kate Mulgrew, then a big drop to Colm Meaney, Alexander Siddig

by Anonymousreply 312February 23, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote]I can only think of a few who I'd consider consistently "working actors" after their show ended - Patrick Stewart (of course), Kate Mulgrew, then a big drop to Colm Meaney, Alexander Siddig

*Ahem*

by Anonymousreply 313February 23, 2020 3:15 PM

René Auberjonois worked more than all of the above.

by Anonymousreply 314February 23, 2020 3:21 PM

Picard in a beret reminded me of this scene from “Jeffrey.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315February 23, 2020 3:24 PM

R312 Yes, Patrick Stewart and Kate Mulgrew have probably had the most mainstream success following Trek. Colm Meany might not be high profile, but he is always working. The same can be said of Scott Bakula, Robert Picardo, Alexander Siddig, Armin Shimmerman, and the late Rene Auberjonois. Though those actors (maybe with the exception of Siddig) were all established character actors before Trek and just continued on. Jeri Ryan has worked constantly too.

Others, like Nana Visitor, Gates McFadden, Linda Park, and, to a certain extend, Brent Spiner, mostly returned to the theater. Nana had a successful run on Broadway in Chicago and Gates was the Artistic Director of a Theater in LA for a number of years. Jonathan Frakes, Roxanne Dawson, and Robert Duncan McNiell became full-time directors.

Star Trek does mean typecasting for a lot of actors, BUT, it's also a bit likely winning the lottery because they can literally make a living just doing conventions. There are actors like Marina Sirtis and Garrett Wang who earn most of their income making appearances at are really good at it. There are others who do it begrudgingly.

by Anonymousreply 316February 23, 2020 7:35 PM

Just watched episode six....not what I was expected (in a good way). I thought it was going to be more of a rip roaring adventure episode, and it was strongly character based. The scenes between Hugh and Picard were surprisingly emotional and just fantastic. Also, I'm curious to know what's going to happen to Hugh and Elnor. Earlier this year, Jonathan Del Arco seemed to drop hints that there might be a romantic twist between these two characters...and now that they are stuck together in the Queen's chamber I wonder.

Great episode and so excited for next week.

PS in this week's episode of the Ready Room, Jeri Ryan confirms 7 will be back.

by Anonymousreply 317February 27, 2020 5:00 PM

That was perhaps my favorite episode those far. I never really did feel like they addressed Picard's trauma over being assimilated well, but the scenes with Hugh and Picard, added to the other with Seven, have been outstanding.

by Anonymousreply 318February 27, 2020 11:42 PM

Did anyone notice Juratti’s tic? Could that be foreshadowing...perhaps, Lore got wind of what Bruce Maddox had accomplished and has made his own “children?”

by Anonymousreply 319February 28, 2020 10:26 AM

Anyone else following Michael Chabon's Q&As on IG? They are fantastic, funny, and informative. Oh, and he confirmed that Seven was in a sexual relationship with the Troi lookalike whose name I just forgot.

by Anonymousreply 320February 28, 2020 2:59 PM

Apparently, Amazon accidentally posted episode 7 in Japan and they didn't get it taken down quickly enough to prevent people from watching the whole thing.

So, if you're inclined to post spoilers, Imma replicate me a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 321February 28, 2020 10:22 PM

When Picard is looking at the image of himself as a younger Locutus, he raises his hand to his face. Isn’t he rubbing the wrong side? Now it’s not the reflection Picard doing this, so the left right reversal of a mirror image does not apply. Instead, the camera is behind him looking over his shoulder so that he—and we-are foreground while the other images are background. Is this a continuity error?

by Anonymousreply 322February 28, 2020 11:12 PM

Hugh said on the latest episode that the Borg remain the most hated species in the galaxy, "only now our queen is Romulan." What did that mean? is it just that the Romulans in general are running the Artifact, or is there an actual Romulan woman (Sela??) acting as queen for the Romulan Free State?

by Anonymousreply 323February 29, 2020 4:40 AM

Good question, R323. It obviously wasn't just a throwaway line.

by Anonymousreply 324February 29, 2020 5:48 AM

I took the line to mean that a Romulan was in charge of the cube, but I would be totally excited if Sela reappeared as the Borg Queen. Interesting to think that Jurati could be another synth. I thought that perhaps it was the Commodore Oh had mucked around in her mind.

by Anonymousreply 325February 29, 2020 1:04 PM

Just say the trailer for next week's episode (which will feature Troi and Riker). Anyone else think that Hugh is going to be the next legacy character offed?

by Anonymousreply 326February 29, 2020 8:40 PM

Elnor...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

by Anonymousreply 327March 1, 2020 1:49 AM

I'm pretty sure Elnor is not dead, r327.

by Anonymousreply 328March 1, 2020 3:24 AM

6 episodes in and I'm still waiting to love the show.

by Anonymousreply 329March 1, 2020 4:01 PM

R329 I'm enjoying it, but I'm not loving it. I honestly think that some of the praise is being driven by pure nostalgia. Fans, myself included, are so happy to see Picard and the 24th century back on TV, that it blinds us to the show's problem. I understand that each iteration of Trek should expand the franchise in the same ways that TNG made its own mark from TOS, and DS9 from TNG (VOY/ENT were watered-down versions of TNG and one of the reasons they were not as successful), but Picard feels 'off.' It feels too contemporary if that makes sense. TNG/DS9/VOY all had very stylistic approaches to the writing that kept the shows from feeling 'modern.' The way characters talked, dressed, and interacted was markedly different from the present. Picard feels like it's shot and written in 2020. I think that in the long run, Picard will have damaged the legacy of TNG rather than built upon it. I'm speaking as some who actually loved the second season of Discovery and am looking forward to the third. One of the trademarks of Star Trek is being a future we'd want to live in, I don't get that from Picard.

by Anonymousreply 330March 1, 2020 7:14 PM

In other Picard news, Melinda Snodgrass who wrote the TNG episode "Measure of a Man" which introduced the character of Bruce Maddox, may be taking legal action against CBS. Turns on they didn't pay her royalties for using a character she created. Under WGA guidelines, guest writers (which Snodgrass was at the time) have to be paid each time a character they created appears in subsequent episodes.

by Anonymousreply 331March 1, 2020 9:31 PM

Oops. At least he died quickly.

by Anonymousreply 332March 1, 2020 9:33 PM

So, for those of you who don't know, episode 7 was accidentally released on Japan's Amazon Prime on Friday. It was quickly taken down, but copies of the episode can be found online......without spoiling....I cave and found it. I am not happy for a number of reasons, and I can't wait to discuss it. To me, it now feels like the writers are undoing the legacy of TNG. I think fans are going to be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 333March 2, 2020 3:44 AM

How is Troi, R333?

by Anonymousreply 334March 2, 2020 4:24 AM

R333 HD did Marina no favors but Deanna's scenes are actually the best of the episode.

by Anonymousreply 335March 2, 2020 6:01 AM

Just saw Marina in person yesterday. She looks to have dropped quite a bit of weight since I last saw.

Remember...she's in her 60s and Greek but I find her to be quite attractive for, again, a woman in her 60s and Greek.

She was pleasant and funny as always.

by Anonymousreply 336March 2, 2020 6:21 AM

R336 Marina's husband died unexpectedly in early December which probably explains the weight loss. But I am glad to see she is out and about doing conventions. I know she is on the Star Trek cruise this week along with Gates and Brent (and a ton of other Trek actors).

by Anonymousreply 337March 2, 2020 1:11 PM

Happy Birthday to Ethan Peck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338March 2, 2020 1:58 PM

Day-um! Spock's got a nice little plump ass on him.

by Anonymousreply 339March 2, 2020 2:18 PM

Agreed, R338. I wonder if he ever uses it in the ancient Vulcan face meld ritual?

by Anonymousreply 340March 2, 2020 5:12 PM

Ethan Peck was the best thing about season two of Discovery! Not only is he ridiculously sexy, he was also fantastic in the role. I am also thrilled to at how he's embraced playing Spock and being a part of the fandom. Sadly for us, Peck is straight! What a waste of an amazing bubble butt!

by Anonymousreply 341March 2, 2020 5:32 PM

R333 don't tell me they kill Riker, Troi or Hugh off!

by Anonymousreply 342March 3, 2020 12:15 AM

Major Spoilers for Episode 7! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE!

I loved the Picard/Riker/Troi story...it was fantastic to see them together. Riker mention that he's part of Starfleet's Reserve Core and that he's going to work on getting Picard Starfleet assistance seems to be hinting we're either going to see Riker or another TNG main (Worf I bet) before they end of the season.

Okay...Hugh! I knew this was coming the moment it was announced he'd be on the show. I hope that there is a twist and this isn't the last of him.

by Anonymousreply 343March 5, 2020 2:35 PM

R343 Do you think Hugh is actually dead or is there a twist coming?

In the trailer for episode 8, there is a shot if XBs hovering around and working on what appears to be a body (Hugh?)

by Anonymousreply 344March 5, 2020 6:31 PM

The parts--even the sad ones--with the trio, were like being hugged.

by Anonymousreply 345March 5, 2020 11:51 PM

Well said, R345.

by Anonymousreply 346March 6, 2020 1:00 AM

The new episode gave me the feels big time. I thought Marina was fucking brilliant in this episode. Ironically, probably the best Troi material ever written.

Sadly, Hugh's death was terribly handled and seemed to serve no real purpose to the story. It's clear his character was simply brought back to get Picard on the cube and then there was no need for him. Having just watched the trailer for next week, I am very worried about 7 of 9! The clip right at the ends makes it appear like she's merging with the ship e.g. becoming a Borg Queen.

by Anonymousreply 347March 6, 2020 4:11 AM

There were two closeups where nothing but love beams shone out of Elnor’s eyes while staring into Hugh’s. That is such a shame as a romance between the two would’ve been amazing.

by Anonymousreply 348March 6, 2020 10:07 AM

[quote] Ironically, probably the best Troi material ever written.

What? How DARE you!

I will have you EJECTED into SPACE!

by Anonymousreply 349March 6, 2020 10:49 AM

There doesn't appear to be a twist with Hugh's death. Jonathan Del Arco has been out doing interviews and positing messages. If he appears again, it's likely in flashbacks. A shame, because his death seemed rush and kind of pointless.

by Anonymousreply 350March 6, 2020 2:02 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Borg Cube story line? It feels kind of 'tacked on' like they added it on when they released they didn't have enough story to cover 10 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 351March 6, 2020 7:04 PM

The Cube might become more interesting next episode when Seven shows up.

by Anonymousreply 352March 7, 2020 2:11 PM

R348 Was thinking the same thing. Wasted potential.

by Anonymousreply 353March 7, 2020 5:05 PM

I'm sure Evan Evagora is straight, but I can fantasize that he and Jonathan del Arco fucked to be all Method about their performances.

by Anonymousreply 354March 7, 2020 6:22 PM

R354 Yes, pretty sure based on IG that Evagora is straight. Interestingly, Jonathan del Arco had hinted at romance between Hugh/Elnor but may he just wanted to get into Evan's pants.

by Anonymousreply 355March 7, 2020 6:54 PM

R355 Maybe there were some cut scenes that may have eluded more to it

by Anonymousreply 356March 7, 2020 8:19 PM

I'm enjoying the show, but I can't wait for the cultural pendulum to swing back to where we can have utopian Star Trek again.

by Anonymousreply 357March 8, 2020 12:57 AM

Interesting interview with Michael Chabon! One thing that will interest fans:

"He and his writing staff have discussed a wish list of characters and elements from the “Trek” of old they’d like to see again, and apparently have come up with stories for where each of the legacy characters from “Next Gen” would be in the year “Picard” is set, 2399."

I'd love to know (and hope we find out) what Geordi, Worf and Beverly are up to now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 9, 2020 1:24 AM

I wonder if Jonathan Del Arco has a thing for Evan Evagora

[quote]Birthday shenanigans with my #elnor @evanxevagora - life post Cube 🌈 🌈🌈@theabbeyweho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359March 9, 2020 2:02 AM

Sonequa Martin-Green just announced she's pregnant!

by Anonymousreply 360March 9, 2020 2:26 AM

This show has brought back so many emotions for me. It's like having my family back again. I know I sound like a geek but I can't help it.

by Anonymousreply 361March 9, 2020 2:31 AM

Seven may not be THE Borg Queen, but she is OUR Borg Queen.

by Anonymousreply 362March 13, 2020 1:21 AM

Anyone else follow Michael Chabon's Q&A's on IG? One interesting factoid, Chabon is not a fan of the Janeway character. He says he loves Kate Mulgrew, but that he feels Voyager writers created a very inconsistent character. I agree with him on this. Interestingly, Sisko is his favorite Trek captain.

by Anonymousreply 363March 13, 2020 5:23 PM

When Elnor grabbed and hugged Seven, to me, it showed who the character truly was: a little boy playing warrior. He thought he knew all about fighting and adventure and truly became frightened and hopeless in the current situation aboard the Borg cube. I really liked that small moment.

by Anonymousreply 364March 14, 2020 12:14 PM

Chabon also confirmed that the Conclave of Eight was built by the Tkon Empire, a lost civilization from hundreds of thousands of years ago. There was a S1 TNG episode that talked about them, which said they had the power to move stars.

That is a VERY deep pull.

by Anonymousreply 365March 14, 2020 12:41 PM

Anyone else notice the "Eject into space" comment?

by Anonymousreply 366March 15, 2020 1:21 AM

Watching early VOY episodes during social distancing.

Great googly-moogly, I forgot how fuckable Garrett Wang was the first few seasons.

by Anonymousreply 367March 15, 2020 11:47 PM

R367 I remember back in the IS HE/SHE? board days that one contributor I used to DM had said that Wang was family and had met him several times....many people pooh-poohed the idea, but Wang has not been married yet..... I was in such lust, especially being from the mid-west and having no opportunity to date Asians!

by Anonymousreply 368March 16, 2020 1:35 AM

Garrett Wang is not a fag, and I'm just the dame to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 369March 16, 2020 1:39 AM

Um, not much of a convincing argument, R369

by Anonymousreply 370March 16, 2020 2:35 AM

Garrett Wang is straight. He is in a LTR with a woman and has adopted her child. He also had a bit of a reputation for being slightly pervy with female fans when he was younger.

Garrett was allegedly almost fired from Voyager during the third season. Apparently, there was growing tension between Garrett and the producers. He was frequently late, didn't know his lines, showed up drunk/hungover from partying the night before, and held up production. He was even suspended for two episodes: "Fair Trade" and "Blood Fever." His lines in those episodes were giving to other characters and even a regular extra on the show (Ensign Lang).

Even before writers came up with the idea of Seven, Garrett was set to be fired. They wrote the attack on Kim in "Scorpion Part 1" as an exit door to either kill him off or have him evolve due to the 8472 DNA (which is what they ended up using on Kes). However, Wang was named one of People's 50 Most Beautiful People and UPN & Paramount refused producers request to release him from his contract. Since they were now bringing in a new character, they had to fire one of the original cast and the axe fell on Jennifer Lien's Kes. Just my opinion, but I actually think Kes was a far more interesting character than Kim or Neelix. For the rest of the series, bad blood continued between Wang and Berman. Berman refused Garrett's request to direct an episode, and Wang claims Berman was the reason Kim never got promoted because he knew it would please Garrett.

by Anonymousreply 371March 17, 2020 4:02 PM

Ensign Kim was shit. As was Tom Paris, I never bonded with the characters. They seemed lazy.

by Anonymousreply 372March 18, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote]I never bonded with the characters.

That was the problem with the entire Voyager cast, with the exception of Mulgrew, Picardo, and Ryan. And Nelix was the most annoying regular Trek character ever.

by Anonymousreply 373March 18, 2020 7:53 PM

Anyone else disappointed by Picard this week? I feel like the show has built up all these threads and none of them are paying off. The Cube story is the best example of this. Two weeks in a row it has been rushed to the brink if it being pointless. It's like oh yes, Seven is back and then as soon as she shows up her scenes are over.

by Anonymousreply 374March 20, 2020 3:03 AM

I actually liked the episode last week because it explained much and had some nice character bits.

SPOILERS:

Not so much tonight's episode. It still seems really weird to me all the androids have twins (it seems like "I, Mudd"), or in the case of Soji, quadruplets; and I didn't understand why some of them have weird yellow/green eyes and shiny skin like Data, and some don't. (It's like how they haven't explained why some Romulans have old straight black Romulan hair, and yet some have curly hair or blonde hair now.) And I lost track of where Captain Macho Alchoholic and Weed Woman were supposed to be by the end of the episode.

ALSO: How do you kill someone (an android, especially) just by thrusting the wing of a hummingbird brooch through her eye? That would blind you, but it wouldn't kill a human being. It certainly shouldn't "kill" an android.

by Anonymousreply 375March 20, 2020 3:49 AM

Agreed, R374. They spent ponderous weeks at the beginning of the show making one or two dull plot point per show, and now they're giving the interesting ones short shrift.

by Anonymousreply 376March 20, 2020 4:54 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the show, but I have to agree with R374 & R376! I think the problem rests with the season's overly slow pacing. So much time was spent setting up the story at the front end of the season, that these final episodes are rushed. It's frustrating because for several episodes now, it feels like we're building to a big crescendo, and then nothing happens or things are rushed through. R374 is right, the Borg Cube stuff has been a big let down. Early episodes seemed to suggest something big was going to happen on the Cube (remember the badge that flashed green when Soji touched Ramdha). So, we finally get to the point where Hugh is ready to take back control for the XBs and he his killed within a few moments. Then the following week Seven returns, connects to and activates the cube, only for all the Borg to be ejected and most of the XBs murdered. Then this week the Cube arrives and before it can even fire a shot, it crashes on a planet. It just seems...meh what was the point of this story?

by Anonymousreply 377March 21, 2020 3:17 AM

[It just seems...meh what was the point of this series?

Fixed.

by Anonymousreply 378March 21, 2020 5:23 PM

R378 Totally! I was excited to see Picard back but truth is, these kind of reboots/reunion type shows never really work because they don't meet expectations. I really don't like the darker tones of the show because, for me anyways, it undoes the legacy of TNG. One of the hallmarks of TNG (and to a slightly lesser extent DS9/VOY) is that this is a future you want to live in. Humanity not only survives, but it thrives. We've gotten past our issues and everyone is equal. There was also a timeless feel to 90s era Trek that Picard lacks. Picard feels too contemporary, if that makes any sense.

by Anonymousreply 379March 21, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote] Picard feels too contemporary, if that makes any sense.

The gratuitous profanity is part of that.

by Anonymousreply 380March 22, 2020 2:04 AM

How else are they going to justify it not being on network TV R380?

by Anonymousreply 381March 22, 2020 2:19 AM

It feels contemporary because no one involved in the show has any allegiance to or understanding of the Picard character or Roddenberry's vision for Trek generally. It's just a standard trash SF show that pays extra for Patrick Stewart (who was lobbying for Picard to be an action hero from day 1 of ST:NG). Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 382March 22, 2020 2:42 AM

First Contact: John de Lancie AKA Q | Star Trek

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383March 26, 2020 1:42 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, are Raffi and Seven a couple ow?

by Anonymousreply 384March 26, 2020 11:50 PM

R384. Yup! Michelle Hurd gives a really great interview with ET Online about how producers came up with the idea of Seven/Raffi. Also looks like Jeri will be a lead next season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 27, 2020 12:13 AM

I'm surprisingly into it. They both seem like they're excited to play it.

by Anonymousreply 386March 27, 2020 12:23 AM

Dammit, why couldn't they have kept Hugh and given him a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 387March 27, 2020 3:47 AM

I just binged the first eight episodes. So far:

- MIchelle Hurd was by far the best of the new characters.

- Zhat Vash is silly. The fact that they created not one, but two warrior cast women's mystical groups was idiotic.

- Seven out of the cat suit is still badass and Jeri Ryan should be a regular. Seems like they should have explored their connection through assimilation more. She would have "known" Locutus, just as he would have "known" her.

- The Icheb revenge portion was a bit weak. I'm still not clear about the so-called Fenris Rangers. Why would the Federation allow a lawless region on their border. Are Starfleet and the Federation still recovering 20 years later from the Borg decimations and the Dominion War - in which case the rescue armada makes even less sense.

- Maddox turned out to be anticlimactic. It feels like they wasted THAT McGuffin after wasting so much of the runtime on it.

While I can understand the neckbeard, fanboy dislike, it really strikes me that across TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT and all the movies, there are two types of fans. There are the fans who think The Voyage Home is the best ToS Trek movie and the ones who like Wrath of Khan. Those same fans seem to divide when identifying the best TNG episode - those who like The Inner Light and those who prefer The Best of Both Worlds.

This series seems more geared toward those who think The Inner Light is the better.

by Anonymousreply 388March 27, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote]I'm still not clear about the so-called Fenris Rangers. Why would the Federation allow a lawless region on their border

Because it's not their territory. The Fenris Rangers operate in the remains of the Neutral Zone. The Federation can't impose their will on independant planets, unless they wanted to annex them by force.

by Anonymousreply 389March 27, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]Because it's not their territory. The Fenris Rangers operate in the remains of the Neutral Zone. The Federation can't impose their will on independant planets, unless they wanted to annex them by force.

Why would Icheb's Starfleet ship enter that region if they are not going to impose their will on independent planets. While one *might* argue that they were responding to a distress call, why would they be there in the first place to receive a distress call?

The whole thing seemed more like melodrama to provide "motivation" for Seven and seemed a bit weak.

by Anonymousreply 390March 27, 2020 4:37 PM

A weird and dissastisfying series. Some good writing, but the overall plot was so confusing, and the characters except Picard and Seven of Nine (and maybe Raffi) were very poorly drawn based on stereotypes: Rios = Han Solo (but completely flattened), Elnor = Legolas, Dr. Jurati = the blonde nervous girl who constantly apologizes on "ST: Discovery," Narissa = every evil bisexual beautiful space princess in every space opera ever.

I do not understand why every planet looked like Northern California and all the characters either seemed like Northern California professionals or Northern California stoner-slackers. it should have been called "Star Trek: Eureka-Arcata."

It made no sense to kill off Picard and then immediately bring him back to life. It was as if they just wanted to give him a death scene with no consequences. It also made no sense to bring back Data in dreams and then just kill him off a second time.

by Anonymousreply 391March 27, 2020 4:50 PM

In Picard news, a new article in Newsweek is suggesting that CBS plans on filming season 2 and season 3 (which hasn't technically been confirmed but it likely happening) almost back to back whenever the pandemic lock down is over. Originally production on Season 2 was set to begin in mid-June, but may (likely) be delayed. Also, on the official Picard Podcast, Akiva Goldman confirmed that Patrick Stewart has signed on for three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 392March 27, 2020 9:19 PM

Speaking of MacGuffins, It was the super fixit wonder machine that Picard used to make 200 Illusory copies of his ship that made me shake my head.

by Anonymousreply 393March 27, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote]It was the super fixit wonder machine that Picard used to make 200 Illusory copies of his ship that made me shake my head.

Yeah, Trek always waves it's hands for magical tech, but this is an actual magic wand.

I also didn't like the female Lore character - the one who looked like Soji.

What I did like is that they wrapped up the the storylines, rather than doing a stupid cliffhanger.

by Anonymousreply 394March 27, 2020 10:07 PM

^^^not to mention that they seem to have forgotten that Jurati murdered Maddox.

by Anonymousreply 395March 27, 2020 10:59 PM

[quote]Yeah, Trek always waves it's hands for magical tech, but this is an actual magic wand.

It's a sonic screwdriver.

by Anonymousreply 396March 27, 2020 11:03 PM

Alison Pill's character should have paid for the devious murder of Maddox, and it irritates me she gets hero credit now. And, she's highly obnoxious in person (see the linked interview)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397March 28, 2020 12:03 AM

I hate that Jurati got a complete pass for her devious murder of Maddox. It doesn't help that Alison Pill is highly annoying (see the latest Ready Room). Why couldn't they have killed off her character and kept Hugh?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 28, 2020 6:40 AM

I admit it that I lost it when Raffi held Elnor as they both sobbed.

More Laris in Season 2, please.

by Anonymousreply 399March 28, 2020 7:07 AM

[quote]More Laris in Season 2, please.

Agreed. Laris was both interesting as a character and well-acted.

Elnor is turning into the Harry Kim of this show, so they really need to do something with him next season.

by Anonymousreply 400March 28, 2020 3:39 PM

He honestly strikes me more of the Data. Sweet, inquisitive, naive.

by Anonymousreply 401March 28, 2020 3:40 PM

Anyone wanna bet that Anne Droidz is one pissed off Spinerfemme this weekend after Data was killed off (again)?

by Anonymousreply 402March 28, 2020 3:56 PM

I think Picard had the best first season of any Star Trek spin-off. That being said, it suffered from bad pacing (particularly in the final three episodes) was a bit too dark, and uneven story lines (e.g. Borg cube/Seven).

I am excited for season two ... whenever that happens.

by Anonymousreply 403March 28, 2020 5:55 PM

Michael Chabon gives a deep interview to Queerty, of all places.

Apparently, the woman that Raffi called to get the fake credentials for Picard to get on the Artifact was her ex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404March 28, 2020 9:16 PM

I really don't like the space battles in both Discovery and Picard (and the last Star Trek films). They're CGI orgies, with hundreds or thousands of ships cut at lightning speed to make it impossible to focus on any action. The enveloping orchid scenes in Picard could have been fantastic, but they too created a visual overload. And is it really more imposing to have several hundred cut/paste Romulan ships suddenly filling the skies only to be matched with hundreds more cut/paste Federation ships? Where's the suspense, the dread, the strategy?

I thought it was much more suspenseful when confrontation scenes were with maybe 3 or 4 warbirds versus a couple of Starfleet vessels. You got a sense of menace and power that doesn't come across during Star Wars whiz-bang shoot-em-up style battles.

by Anonymousreply 405March 28, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote]I thought it was much more suspenseful when confrontation scenes were with maybe 3 or 4 warbirds versus a couple of Starfleet vessels. You got a sense of menace and power that doesn't come across during Star Wars whiz-bang shoot-em-up style battles.

The Dominion War battles from DS9 often had waves of ships, but the actual battles weren't the fast cut scenes we get now. They had scale because they had a lot of ships, but didn't just look like the same ship copied over and over - even when it obviously WAS the same ship copied over and over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 28, 2020 11:48 PM

Except the big final battle at the end of the series that was mostly, if not entirely, recycled footage.

by Anonymousreply 407March 29, 2020 12:21 AM

R406 Am I the only one who feels like the computer generated ship FX from DS9 actually looks better than a lot of the ship work on Disco and Pic?

by Anonymousreply 408March 29, 2020 4:25 AM

I don't think it necessarily looks better. It has a very particular aesthetic to it that is more a hallmark of Trek visuals for the past 40 years since TNG.

Setting aside the abomination of ship design in Disco (though I really do like Shenzhou, Gargarin, Europa), the difference between Disco/Picard/JJprise and the older movies and shows is both the constant use of lens flares, rapid cuts rather than slow sweeping shots, and a movement toward what many would consider more photo realistic images.

The real comparison would be how the shots the opening battle with the cube in First Contact and the battle with against the Scimitar with the two Valdore class ships and Enterprise look. Personally, I feel like both battles had more a sense of both scale, importance, and visual appeal than the final battle against Control in Disco or the confrontation over the planet with the Romulans in Picard.

by Anonymousreply 409March 29, 2020 4:10 PM

I like how the ships go in and out of warp now. Almost like a bullet firing as opposed to that weird ship elongates before going into a flash of white light.

by Anonymousreply 410March 29, 2020 5:26 PM

The TNG cast had a video conference birthday party for Marina yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411March 30, 2020 1:38 PM

R411 Wonderful! Gates stated on Twitter two or three days ago that she is mildly under the weather and suspects she has COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 412March 30, 2020 9:26 PM

/ Oh god no! She's always been my favorite! 😥

by Anonymousreply 413March 30, 2020 10:28 PM

Marina's been isolating ever since she got back from Star Trek: The Cruise. That's over a month now.

With her husband gone, she's all alone, and I feel very sad for her. But she's making the best of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414April 2, 2020 11:06 AM

CBS is doing to Star Trek what Disney did to Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 415April 3, 2020 12:06 PM

SyFyWire praises Troi.

The writer specifically calls out "Face of the Enemy." He's got to be one of us, right?

He will NOT be EJECTED into SPACE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416April 3, 2020 12:43 PM

They really didn't do her any favors during the early seasons by trying to make her into space barbie in those outfits and camel toe.

Troi in the later seasons like when she was in command after the Enterprise was disabled (Season 5 "Disaster") or when she took the commander's test were better for her.

by Anonymousreply 417April 3, 2020 4:00 PM

R414 She looks lovely there, but you can hear the sadness in her voice. She sounds 'shaky' like she's holding back tears. Poor thing!

R416 Fantastic article! I agree, and I think that Marina was the MVP in that episode. Her acting was the best she's ever done during her time with Star Trek. Both Troi and Dr. Crusher were chronically underutilized on TNG and it's shame. Writers like Ronald D. Moore admit that if they could go back in time and change something about TNG it would be giving Troi and Crusher stronger roles on the show. That being said, Sirtis and Gates McFadden did the best the could with the material they were given. I do hope they bring Beverly back and give her a similarly strong story.

by Anonymousreply 418April 4, 2020 2:37 AM

I'm glad there was a judicious use of Riker and Troi. It would be crap if it became a bunch of stunt casting with everyone from all across the Trek franchise coming on.

One thing I do hope they resolve is Geordi. He was in command on Utopia Planetia running the effort to build the rescue ships - probably at Picard's request. Did he die during the attack? I'm guessing he didn't because it seems like Picard would have been a bit more upset or felt a bit of guilt if he had sent Geordi to his death. But who knows.

Having Riker and Troi served multiple purposes, including the fact that the synth ban directly resulted in their son's death.

The only other cameo I really want to see is the sovereign class Enterprise E - and not being decomissioned. Where is it and who's in command of the Federation flagship.

by Anonymousreply 419April 4, 2020 7:33 PM

I don't remember if it was Zhaban or his doctor friend from the Stargazer, but one of them suggested asking some of the Enterprise crew for help, and specifically mentioned Geordi, so unless there was going to be a Ouija board involved....

by Anonymousreply 420April 4, 2020 7:37 PM

Worf is captaining the Enterprise but apparently Starfleet brass is not exactly thrilled with him.

Crusher is still on board as CMO.

by Anonymousreply 421April 4, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]. Writers like Ronald D. Moore admit that if they could go back in time and change something about TNG it would be giving Troi and Crusher stronger roles on the show.

I think they had more than enough airtime, R418. Could have done without the entire Crusher falls in bodice-ripping love with a (not very) Scottish ghost episode.

by Anonymousreply 422April 16, 2020 1:25 AM

Discovery sucks and Picard isn't Trek.

by Anonymousreply 423April 16, 2020 1:32 AM

[quote]Discovery sucks and Picard isn't Trek

First Season of Discovery was terrible. Second season improved although I still have issues with the lazy storytelling and magical retconning throwaway lines.

I am as big a trekkie as there is, but still don't get why the neckbeards keep going on about "Picard isn't Trek" idea. Evil Starfleet - actually, Starfleet has done some pretty crappy things since ToS. Not a bright optimistic future - the entire season of Picard was optimistic with Picard following a redemption arc and dealing with his guilt and bad choices.

Part of the problem with Picard is that you have to separate poor story where "Picard is not Trek" would sit from poor storytelling with poor pacing, wooden lines, and manipulative fan service to engender positive fan reactions.

by Anonymousreply 424April 16, 2020 2:31 PM

Original - Very close second to the other Treks. I actually feel as though it belongs in a class of it's own since it was the first.

Next Gen - I didn't care for it much until The Best of Both Worlds two parter. From there, I loved it.

DS9 - My favorite ST ever. For those who love it as much as I do, I can't recommend the documentary What We Leave Behind enough.

Voyager - Really enjoyed most of it. To this day it bugs me to think about the excellence that Ronald D. Moore could have brought to this show considering what he did with the Battlestar Galactica remake. Between that and DS9, it would've been major game changers for the ST universe.

Enterprise - HATED IT! The fact that they would kill off Tripp, the most interesting, and hottest, character on the show kind of sums it up.

Discovery, a.k.a. The Adventures of Michael Burnham. - Oh don't get me started on this inconsistent hot mess of a show. This deserves it's own post. It amazes me how the ST apologists defend this show. I saw the first season and the first episode of the second season. Love Anson Mount's interpretation of Capt. Christopher Pike but I let this show go for now. I'll have more to say later.

Picard - I love it far more than Discovery. Granted , they could've had a better story but I felt like I got my Star Trek back. I've grown so tired of the pre-TOS shit. Yes, we're back tn the post TNG/DS9/VOY, and I love it. The episode with Riker and Troi (beautiful performance by Marina Sirtis) was the best ST I've seen in awhile.

Also, Picards's bodyguard/surrogate son Elnor has immediately become one of my favorite ST characters and not just because I have a major hard on for actor Evan Evagora.

by Anonymousreply 425April 16, 2020 4:26 PM

What I meant to say was "Original - Very close second TO DS9. I actually feel as though it belongs in a class of it's own since it was the first."

by Anonymousreply 426April 16, 2020 4:27 PM

R425 I agree that TOS kind of stands alone. Not only was it the original, but it's also hard to compare a show made in the 60s to more modern stuff. But it's a testament to the show that many of its stories still hold up over fifty years later.

TNG was the Trek show I grew up on and is my sentimental favorite. But honestly, I rarely watch it anymore. Maybe it's just me, but it feels dated and bland now.

DS9 remains my favorite Trek show to date. It features the best-developed characters of the show franchise, and like TOS, was less pristine and more human than TNG and VOY.

VOY is probably the Trek I watch the most simply because it's kind of 'turn your mind' off Trek. You can jump into any season of the show and be able to follow what's going on with no effort. Voyager was a letdown if we're being honest. It had great potential but never lived up to it. Now, that we know a lot of the problems behind the scenes with interference from Paramount and UPN, it's clear the writers were under a ton of pressure to make the show 'more like The Next Generation.'

ENT- still have never watched a full season of the show.

DIS - season one was terrible, but season two was drastically improved, probably the best second season of any Trek spin-off.

PIC - Meh. It was great seeing Patrick Stewart back as Picard, but looking it at from a dispassionate point of view, it was kind of a let down for me. Too dark, too slow, too uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 427April 16, 2020 5:06 PM

Random: Does anyone think they may cancel Picard and/or Discovery if the lockdown continues into 2021? Discovery is filmed in Toronto and Canada is taking this far more seriously than the US. It's likely they will remain in lockdown until at least the summer. The US will open up earlier but California likely isn't going to open right away either. Picard season 2 was set to start filming next month.

by Anonymousreply 428April 16, 2020 5:25 PM

There are all sorts of wild rumors running now that they might sell the reunified franchise since Blockbuster is having some financial problems due to the lockdown.

I don't see it happening or cancelling Disco or PIC until after each has had 3 seasons. There has been some analysis done about when Netflix and Amazon cancel having to do with production costs, payments, bonuses, and how many seasons are necessary to drive new viewers.

The short version: economics push shows to 3 or 4 seasons. The economics of streaming shows is fundamentally different from broadcast shows.

However, Disco and PIC are both marquee shows for CBS All Access. They don't really have anything worth crowing about without them. So, while Disco is about to air season 3, I bet it'll get at least 4 seasons before they pull the plug, 5 if this season is well-received.

by Anonymousreply 429April 16, 2020 5:41 PM

This is the main issue I've had with Discovery from day one. In terms of writing, characterization, and action set pieces, I did find the first season of the show entertaining at times (repeat, at times) but the technological anachronisms is ANNOYING AS FUCK. What's even more annoying is how some fellow Trekkies sound like apologists and implying that we should get over that little pre-TOS advance tech thing and the non-canon Klingons look. NO! For me, it comes across as the show runners unnecessarily giving the old school Trekkies the finger and insulting our intelligence.

There were two simple solutions to the pre-TOS advance tech issue. One was to set this show in the Abrams ' Kelvin universe since the tech and THE KLINGONS match what we see it that universe. Was there something legally preventing the show runners from doing that? Secondly, they could've set this many years after the events of Voyager. Hell, Voyager went off the air in 2001. Discovery premiered 2018. They could've set it 19 years after Voyager, in the same time period as Picard. The Discovery tech would make much more sense. I just don't get the lack of thinking behind this, in my opinion, very important element of the show.

Another HUGE issue I had with the series is that we FINALLY get a single gender loving couple as regular characters and lo and behold, the show kills off one half of the couple in one of the most brutal way a person can die; and they kept showing that shit over and over again. Also, that was Wilson Cruz, a damn fine actor and long-time gay activist. It was insulting.

Finally, is this Star Trek or the Adventures of Michael Burnham. They spend more time on her then the original spent on Captain Kirk, and that’s staying something. Where’s the ensemble acting we got in TNG, DS9, Voyager, and even Enterprise and Picard for goodness sakes. I’m over the character. Oh, and that speech she gave in the season one finale. The corniest thing I’ve ever seen in a series and again, as far as Star Trek is concern, that’s saying something.

I would like to see someone convince me the second season is better. I will give props for something; one of my queens, Michelle to the motha f’ing Yeoh as Philippa Georgiou, especially the evil mirror universe Empress Georgiou. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 430April 16, 2020 7:16 PM

I recommend Critical Drinkers' assessment of the flaws with ST:P.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 16, 2020 7:23 PM

R430 Burnham isn't a Mary Sue in the truest since, but she's certainly the pet character and there is plenty of masturbation going on in the writers' room.

by Anonymousreply 432April 16, 2020 7:32 PM

R424 Part of the failure was that they didn't talk about the Dominion War and use the aftermath of that as a way of explaining basically why the Federation idealism might be a bit tarnished. But otherwise, I'm sorry. The whole tone of things is much darker, much more grim. Murders all over the place, gratuitous violence, etc. ST:P has more of a Star Wars flavor that Trek, that's just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 433April 16, 2020 7:41 PM

The best part of Discovery is far and away Michele Yeoh making everyone in the cast her bitch. Not sure why the writers have such a hard-on for Burnham since they've made her such a sad-sack character.

by Anonymousreply 434April 16, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote]There were two simple solutions to the pre-TOS advance tech issue. One was to set this show in the Abrams ' Kelvin universe since the tech and THE KLINGONS match what we see it that universe. Was there something legally preventing the show runners from doing that?

Yes, actually apparently there is a legal reason for a lot of the visual differences.

Apparently, when CBS and Paramount split, the rights to Trek were also split. The subsequent productions were contracted under different licenses and required that images had to be distinctly different from each other.

by Anonymousreply 435April 16, 2020 8:26 PM

r435, thansk for the explanation. Unfortunately, if Klingons were to show up in Picard, like Worf for example, I guess they'll look like the ones in Discovery. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 436April 16, 2020 8:39 PM

R430 spoiler Wilson Cruz's character is resurrected in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 437April 16, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote][R435], thansk for the explanation. Unfortunately, if Klingons were to show up in Picard, like Worf for example, I guess they'll look like the ones in Discovery. Damn!

That's why I don't get why people get bent out of shape when they "update" stuff like the bridge. Klingons did not look like Worf in ToS until the TMP, yet no one seems to mind that change.

I prefer they update the visuals to what is possible with modern FX. Also, I thought the Klingons in Into Darkness weren't all that bad - bigger budget makeup. Disco Klingons were terrible, no denying it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438April 16, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote]R430: What's even more annoying is how some fellow Trekkies sound like apologists and implying that we should get over that little pre-TOS advance tech thing and the non-canon Klingons look. NO!

This.

by Anonymousreply 439April 17, 2020 11:17 AM

[quote][R430]: What's even more annoying is how some fellow Trekkies sound like apologists and implying that we should get over that little pre-TOS advance tech thing and the non-canon Klingons look. NO!

Um...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440April 17, 2020 11:53 AM

R440 Amusing, but the TOS-era Klingon look WAS canon at the time and has since been explained (albeit rather lamely). Discovery doesn't have the same excuse. If they couldn't do Klingons correctly, they should have just excluded them. and come up with their own material.

by Anonymousreply 441April 17, 2020 12:32 PM

I totally agree with r441!

For the record r440, it was clearly confirmed by Worf himself that in the classic DS9 episode Trials and Tribulations that the TOS Klingon look was canon. It's my understanding that in Enterprise, it was explained even further that the TOS Klingon look was due to some genetic accident that only happened to some Klingons. This is confirmed by the appearance of TOS Klingon Kor, played by John Colicos. When he showed up in a DS9 episode, he had the Prime Universe bone head ridges Klingon look.

by Anonymousreply 442April 17, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote]For the record [R440], it was clearly confirmed by Worf himself that in the classic DS9 episode Trials and Tribulations that the TOS Klingon look was canon. It's my understanding that in Enterprise, it was explained even further that the TOS Klingon look was due to some genetic accident that only happened to some Klingons. This is confirmed by the appearance of TOS Klingon Kor, played by John Colicos. When he showed up in a DS9 episode, he had the Prime Universe bone head ridges Klingon look.

For the record r442, you do realize that that is the definition of retconning, right?

Obviously, I'm familiar with that explanation. My bottom line is that some soft retconning is fine. After 40 years, you're not going to have perfect internal continuity. There are numerous examples of canon violations incurred by each of the shows before Disco or PIC.

But, it isn't internally logically consistent to say that the "explanation" for the Klingons is fine, but other stuff is a sacred violation of canon. I mean, if that explanation is fine for the Klingons, then the explanation for why we've never heard of an adopted human sister for Spock is less convoluted and should be fine.

But, everyone has his own tolerances for such things.

by Anonymousreply 443April 17, 2020 5:20 PM

Echoing what others have said about Discovery., I actually enjoyed all of the other characters besides Michael Burnham - Saru, Tilly, Airiam the cool looking pseudo-cyborg, Captain Georgiou especially the Galactic Empress or whatever her title was, Captain Lorca who I kept waiting to return as the Prime Universe original, Captain Pike and many others.

by Anonymousreply 444April 17, 2020 6:05 PM

R443 Again, the better answer would have been to just not use them. They could have even taken exactly what they did produce and just call it something else. It's just cheap as an attempt to connect in with established things.

Ditto for Burnham's Vulcan connection. It couldn't just be with some previously unknown Vulcan family, no. It had to be with Spock's family. Burnham comes across like a cheezy RP character that someone in high school came up with, no doubt giggling with how 'clever' they were. Also never mind that Vulcans are explicitly stronger and smarter than any human, but of course she has to get better scores than even any Vulcan to show how awesome she is. And forget the gender thing - the character would be every bit is overdone as a male.

by Anonymousreply 445April 17, 2020 10:55 PM

I don't watch DISCO, since Burnham is Spock's "sister," has any mention been made of Spock's brother, Sybok?

by Anonymousreply 446April 17, 2020 11:45 PM

Best Star Trek episodes:

TOS- Mirror, Mirror TNG - Lower Decks DS9 - The Visitor (all time favorite ST episode) Voyager - Timeless Enterprise - N/A Discovery - N/A Picard - Nepenthe

by Anonymousreply 447April 19, 2020 6:28 PM

R447

TOS: Balance of Terror TNG: The Inner Light DS9: Duet Enterprise: In a Mirror, Darkly Discovery: The one where they just change to doing a Pike/Enterprise show instead of the shitpile that is "Discovery of How Awesome Burnham is" Picard: Nepenthe (if only because it's actually vaguely Trek-like, instead of the rest of that mess)

by Anonymousreply 448April 20, 2020 1:30 AM

ToS: The Enterprise Incident

TNG: Best of Both Worlds (and you all know it)

DS9: In the Pale Moonlight tie.The Visitor

Voyager: Timeless

Enterprise: Similitude tie Demons/Terra Prime

Disco: Project Daedalus

Picard: Nepenthe

by Anonymousreply 449April 20, 2020 3:41 AM

TOS: The Doomsday Machine

TNG: The Inner Light

DS9: In the Pale Moonlight (my fav. Star Trek episode ever)/ Far Beyond the Stars Runner-up

Voyager: Year of Hell Part 1

Enterprise: Don't have one

Disco: Too early to pick one but Project Daedalus was great

Picard: Same as Disco but Nepenthe was my fav of the season.

by Anonymousreply 450April 20, 2020 4:04 AM

Apropos of nothing, I was just thinking that I adore how much the TNG cast clearly loves one another. The other shows all had actors who formed tight friendships (and even though Avery Brooks was weird and reserved, every single person on DS9 seemed to really respect him), but I can't imagine those people all getting together on a Zoom call for someone's birthday.

It's a light in a dark moment.

by Anonymousreply 451April 21, 2020 5:16 PM

It seems that Geordi is going to be in Season 2 of Picard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452April 23, 2020 3:44 AM

R452 Maybe they'll tear his VISOR implant out and rape his skull, in keeping with the general tone of ST:P.

by Anonymousreply 453April 23, 2020 7:22 AM

Maybe the big MARY at R453 would be happier watching She-Ra

by Anonymousreply 454April 23, 2020 1:39 PM

[quote]Maybe the big MARY at [R453] would be happier watching She-Ra

Dear god, don't suggest that.

The new She-Ra would make r453's head EXPLODE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455April 23, 2020 1:57 PM

I binged all those Star Trek: Short Takes on CBS All Access last night and they were very good. My favorites are Q&A with Spock and Number One and the animated one with the Tardigrade alien.

by Anonymousreply 456April 23, 2020 3:48 PM

R452 He didn't say he was going to be, in season two, but confirmed that discussion have taken place between him and producers about his appearing on the show at some point. He did make seem like all the remaining TNG have likely been contacted and will appear. That's assuming we get a season two. Stewart's contract is valid until 2022. If production is shutdown well in 2021 the season will be in jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 457April 23, 2020 3:51 PM

I've enjoyed Star Trek: Picard for the most part but was really annoyed when they referred to taking Big Head Allison Pill to a Starfleet space station that wasn't Deep Space 9. Really bitches!

by Anonymousreply 458April 23, 2020 3:59 PM

Perhaps R454 and R455 would enjoy a lovely dumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 459April 23, 2020 8:51 PM

Apparently, Disco S3 is being held up because they can't finish the music. There's no way to get an orchestra together to record while maintaining social distancing.

I think it would be fine to do it digitally, but that would probably give the haters just one more thing to bitch about.

by Anonymousreply 460May 2, 2020 2:49 PM

R460 The music is just one element delaying season 3. The season is still in post-production but progressing slowly because the editors, FX team, and directors are working from home which is slowing the process significantly. The scoring process is the last thing done before an episode airs. It's likely the music will have to be done digitally. However, I suspect Jeff Russo is resisting this because the moment he does it, it's likely CBS will want to stick to the digital format because it's cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 461May 2, 2020 4:04 PM

Interesting list...although I think "Far Beyond the Stars" is actually. a better choice for DS9 than "The Visitor"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462May 5, 2020 4:08 AM

Mount, Romjin, and Peck announce Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

YAAAAAAAS!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463May 15, 2020 3:25 PM

Maybe we'll get to see Pike help Spock through pon'farr.

by Anonymousreply 464May 15, 2020 3:33 PM

LOVE Anson Mount - I find him so incredibly handsome. I mean, he's no Jeffrey Hunter, but more than a passable alternative.

I hope they do something about Romijn's hair and overall makeup/styling. She looked weirdly plastic and stiff - and it looked like a terrible black wig. The scenes where they did closeups, you could see layers of caked on makeup. Almost made you miss the days of that classic Trek fuzzy focus they used on women.

Scruffy Spock looked better than clean-cut Spock (I have to give it to Quinto's portrayal for now).

by Anonymousreply 465May 15, 2020 4:18 PM

Hunter vs. Mount

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466May 15, 2020 4:19 PM

When they used the clips from "The Cage" when Disco went to Talos IV, it really drove home how strong the resemblance is.

I know Mount was a respected, working actor prior to this, but them being to find someone who not only looks like the original but is also charismatic AF is a one-in-a-million chance.

by Anonymousreply 467May 15, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]I hope they do something about Romijn's hair and overall makeup/styling. She looked weirdly plastic and stiff - and it looked like a terrible black wig

They should consult the wig experts here. I mean we've nailed down the precise moments that Gates and Marina got good ones.

by Anonymousreply 468May 15, 2020 6:12 PM

I just hope they tread new ground instead of just spending time doing callbacks to stuff from other shows.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want them to mess with continuity, but that doesn't mean they can't go to "strange new worlds" and "seek out new life and new civilizations" that we've never seen before.

That said, I wouldn't be outrageously upset if they revisited Garth of Izar's story from before he was committed to the Tantalus penal colony - he could have been a contemporary or even near academy classmate of Pike's. The other story I wouldn't mind if they incorporated into Pike's is Kodos "the Executioner," former governor of the Earth colony of Tarsus IV from Conscience of the King. Kirk was also a witness to the executions, so could be there in a much younger, non-Kelvin timeline incarnation.

I also like the season long story arcs they've been doing.

by Anonymousreply 469May 15, 2020 8:47 PM

Please, deliver us from the shithouse that is Discovery.

by Anonymousreply 470May 16, 2020 1:05 AM

I second that r470.

by Anonymousreply 471May 16, 2020 1:17 AM

I'm super excited for the new Pike series. The suggestion that this series is going to be more episodic rather than one season long story.

In other Star Trek news, there's a growing rumor that Marina Sirtis may be nominated for an Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her work on Star Trek: Picard. CBS has put her name up for consideration, and in his podcast Jonathan Del Arco briefly talked about this when Marina did an interview earlier this week.

by Anonymousreply 472May 16, 2020 3:20 AM

That is excellent about Marina Sirtis r472. Deanna and Picard have always been my favorite TNG characters. Marina brought me to tears in that Picard episode.

by Anonymousreply 473May 16, 2020 3:46 AM

Also...Jeff Russo the music composer for all the Trek shows has confirmed that scoring for season 3 of Discovery is underway. They are recording the music remotely. Each instrumentalist is recording their parts at their home and then sending it in to the mixer who then pieces it together. Russo said is sound amazing considering and while we might notice slight difference it will still be on par with the first two seasons.

Scoring is the final stage of post-production, so I'm hoping season three will start sometime in the summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474May 16, 2020 4:15 AM

Anyone found any fanboy videos talking about what a travesty Strange New Worlds is going to be?

[quote]In other Star Trek news, there's a growing rumor that Marina Sirtis may be nominated for an Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series for her work on Star Trek: Picard.

While it's unlikely, I would love it if it happened. She'd only be the second actor to be nominated for the franchise other than Leonard Nimoy. Kate Mulgrew and Scott Bakula have nominated for other things, and Shatner actually won for Boston Legal.

by Anonymousreply 475May 16, 2020 1:11 PM

[quote]Anyone found any fanboy videos talking about what a travesty Strange New Worlds is going to be?

At this stage, the biggest sites appear to be onboard.

Both Ketwolski and Trekyards seem on board - they're probably among the more influential. Some of the others like Dave Cullen and Trekspertise don't seem to have released anything yet, but were generally in favor of it when Kurtzman teased it with "we've heard you" comments last year.

by Anonymousreply 476May 16, 2020 1:43 PM

I'm sure they'll introduce a person of color soon and it'll be about how horrible it is that Trek is all woke now.

by Anonymousreply 477May 16, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]I'm sure they'll introduce a person of color soon and it'll be about how horrible it is that Trek is all woke now.

How tedious.

by Anonymousreply 478May 16, 2020 3:29 PM

R467 Am I wrong to think Ketwolski is cute?

by Anonymousreply 479May 16, 2020 4:44 PM

R477 Yes I hope they do add a person of colour and also have LGBT representation.

by Anonymousreply 480May 16, 2020 4:57 PM

I mean, they've had tons of gay content on Disco and now Seven is scissoring Raffi on Picard. I figure some kind of content is a given.

by Anonymousreply 481May 16, 2020 5:24 PM

[quote][R467] Am I wrong to think Ketwolski is cute?

Since I most recently mentioned Ketwolski...While I don't think he's cute, I can see where someone might. He does seem to have a fun personality (at least when he's "on"), so that can make up for many sins.

As for people of color and representation of gay people, I'm relatively indifferent. I'd rather they get good actors than diverse ones. I do like Hurd's Raffi and Santiago Cabrera's Rios, not because they're diverse, but because they do a good job and they are solid new characters with interesting backstories. I'm meh on Seven and Raffi as a couple.

I'm looking forward to more of Romijn. She really nailed it in the few scenes we've had of her. It seems like Romijn's Number One is a bit butch to me, much more than her Librarians character who was ex-military.

by Anonymousreply 482May 16, 2020 5:39 PM

I wonder if they'll use the character from the Short Trek "Ask Not" that Pike recruited to join the crew. I really liked the actress.

I also wonder if people will complain if they don't use all of the characters from "The Cage" even though this will likely be set after it. I mean, of course they will. Just keep Lieutenant Nicola, the hottie communications officer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483May 16, 2020 11:38 PM

Why did the Enterprise-A have phasers in the galley?

by Anonymousreply 484May 24, 2020 4:41 PM

R484 Too many food critics.

by Anonymousreply 485May 24, 2020 5:42 PM

It's kind of a shame that out of thirteen movies, they only managed to have three good villains.

by Anonymousreply 486May 24, 2020 6:52 PM

So, there is a growing campaign to for writers to make Pike bisexual. Some fans are concerned that the new show will feature three white leads. I think a bisexual Pike would be awesome, but you know they're going to make Number One bi. Whenever it comes to showing sexual fluidity on screen, it's always the female characters.

by Anonymousreply 487May 25, 2020 5:04 AM

Landru's peace be upon you this Memorial Day.

by Anonymousreply 488May 25, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]Some fans are concerned that the new show will feature three white leads.

Given the hit-and-miss nature of recent Star Trek, there is a lot more to be concerned about than a show featuring three white leads.

I'd rather they focus on good actors and solid writing than the color of their skin or gender.

by Anonymousreply 489May 25, 2020 3:12 PM

Gates has a wig-critique. She is one of use.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 25, 2020 8:52 PM

R490 LOL! Fun facts: Gates wore wigs until the season six episode "True Q" when she just used her own hair right through to Nemesis. Marina wore a wig in season 1, then hair pieces from season 2 until Generations (the front was hers and the hair in back was a piece). She wore her natural hair in FC and Ins and then wig in Nemesis (which she stole and then wore for her appearance on Picard). Kate Mulgrew wore pieces all through Voyager (Kate's real hair appears in the second season episode "Parturition" and the season 7 two parter "Workforce.") Nana Visitor wore a wig in the final season of Deep Space Nine.

by Anonymousreply 491May 29, 2020 4:37 AM

Mr. Plinkett strikes again!

YASSS, KWEEN, SLAY!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492May 29, 2020 6:40 PM

R487 How about starting a campaign to have Burnham spaced? Oh, that's right, she had the highest score ever at living in a vacuum - never mind.

by Anonymousreply 493May 30, 2020 3:05 AM

And so two years ago, our government signed a treaty with the Dominion. In it the Dominion promised to extend Cardassia's influence throughout the Alpha Quadrant. In exchange, we pledged ourselves to join the war against the Federation and its allies. Cardassians have never been afraid of war, a fact we've proven time and again over these past two years. Seven million of our brave soldiers have given their lives to fulfill our part of the agreement, and what has the Dominion done in return? Nothing. We've gained no new territories. In fact, our influence throughout the quadrant has diminished. And to make matters worse, we are no longer masters in our own home. Travel anywhere in Cardassia and what do you find? Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and now Breen. Instead of the invaders, we have become the invaded. Our allies have conquered us without firing a single shot. Well, no longer. This morning, detachments of the Cardassian First, Third and Ninth Orders attacked the Dominion outpost on Rondac III. This assault marks the first step toward the liberation of our homeland, from the true oppressors of the Alpha Quadrant. I call upon Cardassians everywhere. Resist. Resist today. Resist tomorrow. Resist till the last Dominion soldier has been driven from our soil!

by Anonymousreply 494June 2, 2020 2:07 AM

Did Gates just admit she's not a natural red head?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495June 2, 2020 6:05 PM

r494, it's to the credit of the fabulous Deep Space Nine writers that they could make you hate Legate Damar so much yet before the end of the series, have so much admiration for him.

by Anonymousreply 496June 2, 2020 6:24 PM

I've thought about that quote a lot over the last three and a half years.

by Anonymousreply 497June 2, 2020 6:32 PM

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people."

That's from Battlestar Galactica, but given that it was by many of the same people as DS9, it seemed appropriate.

Edward James Olmos tweeted it today.

by Anonymousreply 498June 2, 2020 6:47 PM

R494 and that speech right there is why DS9 is the best of the franchise. TOS & TNG may have the pop culture status, but I would argue that DS9's impact on the franchise is its lasting legacy.

by Anonymousreply 499June 3, 2020 12:29 AM

Speaking of wigs on Trek, here's something other random stuff about the stuff the female leads of TNG/DS9/VOY had to deal with:

1) Janeway's hair: This is on the topic of wigs again, but during the first few days of shooting, Mulgrew wore her real hair down to her shoulders (you can google pictures of this). The scenes shot like this took place at the LA Convention Center which was used as the Ocampan homeworld. The official story goes that after seeing the dailies, producers thought Kate's hair looked too thin and decided they needed to 'wig her up.' However according to Mulgrew, the problem actually arose because Paramount executives saw the first takes and felt that he wearing her hair down was 'unprofessional' and made her look too young. (Mulgrew was 38 when she filmed Caretaker). So, the hair had to go up. You can see in the pilot, he style and color changes a number of times. In some scenes it's reddish and curly, other scenes it's the bun of steel she wore for most of the first two seasons. Mulgrew states the ponytail was her favourite look. Mulgrew wears her real hair for Year of Hell, producers had it cut short and Mulgrew hated it so by the end of the 4th season onward she wears a hairpiece. Her real hair is on top, and the bob hanging down in the back is a piece and very noticeable on an HD tv.

2) Padded bras: All of the female leads had to wear padded bras. This was partly for 'ratings reasons' and partly because the tight spacesuits were unforgiving and uneven or sagging boobs wouldn't look right. Only two women didn't wear these bras. Kate Mulgrew refused to wear one but lucky for her Paramount agreed because they didn't want her to look too attractive given her position. In fact Mulgrew claims at one a point, there was talk about her having to pin her boobs down. The other actress who didn't wear a padded bra was Nana Visitor. Visitor wore one for the first couple seasons of DS9 but in season 4 she refused to wear it after they made her costume more revealing. Visitor claims that she told them it's the tight suit or the bra but it can't be both. Terry Farrell, on the other hand, claims that a producer on the show was obsessed with her breast size (most people believe that this is a reference to Berman) and he used to go to her bra fittings in the early days of the show. Farrell's boobs also get noticeably bigger after the switch to the FC uniforms.

3) High heels: Most of the woman wore heeled boots on the show. This was done for practical reasons, so they would line up with their male co-stars better during wide shots. Mulgrew wore 4 inch heeled boots (which she hated). Muglrew is about 5'4 but most of the men on the show were around 5'10 to 6 feet. The only actresses who didn't wear heels were Terry Farrell and Gates McFadden. Farrell is 5'9 and McFadden claims to be about 5'7 but she is actually taller. Patrick Stewart is about 5'9 and she is very slightly taller than him.

by Anonymousreply 500June 3, 2020 5:10 PM

[quote][R494] and that speech right there is why DS9 is the best of the franchise. TOS & TNG may have the pop culture status, but I would argue that DS9's impact on the franchise is its lasting legacy.

Watch the DS9 documentary. Michael Dorn clearly loves all of his castmates from TNG, but he's also clearly prouder of having been on DS9.

I thought Worf was going to be a terrible addition to DS9. Boy, was I wrong.

by Anonymousreply 501June 3, 2020 6:25 PM

r501, I enjoy Worf much better on DS9 than I do on TNG. His love story with Dax was one of the best ST love stories ever.

by Anonymousreply 502June 3, 2020 9:13 PM

R502 I just wish Terry hadn't decided to leave - the thing with Ezri was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 503June 4, 2020 2:46 AM

Worf was my least favorite character on DS9. I found any episode with the Klingons almost insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 504June 4, 2020 5:11 AM

R503 Jadzia was my favorite character on the show and I think the final season suffered by bringing in a new lead character so late in the game. Have there ever been a definitive reason why Farrel didn't come back for season 7? No one has really said what actually happened, even the documentary was vague. I know there's been rumors about money and Terry being offered the part on Becker. But Terry has changed her story several times over the years and she was ultimetly fired from Becker, so I'm just wondering if was a money thing or an actress thing e.g. producers didn't like her.

by Anonymousreply 505June 5, 2020 3:00 AM

Ezri was a terrible character

by Anonymousreply 506June 5, 2020 3:02 AM

I loved Jadzia and her death for me was one of the hardest ST related deaths ever. With that said, I really didn’t mind Ezri or her portrayer Nicole de Boer. Different character type and different Starfleet position.

by Anonymousreply 507June 5, 2020 3:08 AM

R505 No, there's never been one consistent story about Farrell's departure. I find that interesting because we know the truth about all Trek departures now, except Terry Farrell's.

Grace Lee Whitney was written out of the show because Roddenberry felt the character wasn't working and Whitney was having problems with drinking. Denise Crosby asked to leave the show. Gates McFadden was fired because she didn't get along with Maurice Herley but then Diana Muldaur didn't work out and Gates was asked back. Will Wheaton also asked to leave. Jennifer Lien was released from her contract to make room for Jeri Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 508June 5, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote]Gates McFadden was fired because wouldn't fuck Maurice Herley

FTFY

by Anonymousreply 509June 5, 2020 3:17 AM

R509 Yes that rumor has been around for ages but never confirmed. The official story is that Herley hated McFadden because she call out bad writing, and wanted Crusher's role to be expended. He found her 'demanding' and convinced Gene Roddenberry and Rick Berman to fire her. I've always assumed there was some kind of sexual harassment going on too but McFadden has never confirmed that.

As for Terry Farrell, R505 is right that she has changed her story over the years. Based on what has been said by all parties, it appears there were issues between Farrell and Berman and that's what ultimetly lead to her departure. Allegedly, Berman kept all the show's writers in the dark about what was going on, and it was only confirmed after the finale was written that Farrell would not be back and they had to quickly rewrite it. According to the DS9 Companion Farrell was terribly upset on the final day of shooting. Basically she didn't want to leave.

by Anonymousreply 510June 5, 2020 6:34 AM

Terry Farrell's departure from DS9 is so odd because 20 years later, we still don't really know what actually happened. In What We Left Behind, no one seemed to have an answer about what happened. Michael Dorn even said something along the lines of only Terry and Rick know what actually went down.

Terry has said a lot of contradictory things over the years. But my sense is, she was unhappy and tired, and I also think she put up with a lot of shit from Berman. I think she kind of just wanted out. Terry was the lowest paid of the main cast (minus Circoc Lofton who as teenager made less) and the last on the call sheet, which usually meant long days of waiting around to film her lines. The documentary does kind of suggest that Paramount gave her an offer but she either never counter-offered or Paramount simply did not allow her to counter-offer. R510 I think most of this was due to some kind of bad blood between her and Rick. Because she went right over to Becker which was a Paramount produced show. She was later fired after season 3 when she breached her contract and didn't show up to work because of a pay dispute with CBS.

by Anonymousreply 511June 5, 2020 10:46 PM

Has one seen the Ryan Edits of the TNG where be puts bloopers into final episodes of TNG

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512June 6, 2020 8:31 PM

Yikes! Marina is being called out by Mara Wilson (from Mrs Doubtfire and Matilda) for a racist comment she allegedly made about Native Americans at a convention a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513June 8, 2020 12:29 AM

Any tweet today with #StarTrekUnitedGives generates a $1 donation to BLM from CBS. Not some kind of hoax, they're really doing it.

Also, check out the box the special pizza they sent to Marina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514June 17, 2020 12:16 PM

EW dropped some new images of Lower Decks.

And the producer dropped some hints that TNG characters may pop up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 515June 18, 2020 4:13 PM

Lovely video from Frakes. He looks quite distinguished.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516June 19, 2020 12:36 PM

Gates McFadden says it's very likely she'll appear in Star Trek Picard. In an interview with Trekmovie.com as part of a virtual convention appearance, McFadden stated that while she hasn't signed a contract yet, she all but confirmed that producers have reached out to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517June 30, 2020 1:41 PM

[quote] I enjoy Worf much better on DS9 than I do on TNG. His love story with Dax was one of the best ST love stories ever.

Yet I can't really see Dax getting horny for the new model Klingons, nor Troi before her.

[quote] Oh, and Seven is a lesbian now? I have to say.....I'm disappointed.

Why disappointed. She IS after all a superior life form.

I was going to post that same video as r512. It's terrific.

by Anonymousreply 518June 30, 2020 3:51 PM

The video at R512 was exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 519July 1, 2020 2:13 AM

Lower Decks will be releasing on August 6th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520July 2, 2020 12:20 AM

Can Star Trek with the Harlem Globetrotters be far behind ?

by Anonymousreply 521July 2, 2020 2:47 AM

They've released their FYC Emmy campaign. They're putting the main cast (Ryan included) as Supporting (Stewart as Lead, of course), Frakes, Spiner and Jonathan Del Actor as Guest Actor, and Marina as Guest Actress.

I know it's never going to happen, but I would be over the moon if Marina snagged a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 522July 11, 2020 5:11 PM

R522 Honestly, of course Stewart should be nominated for practically everything he does, but in my opinion, Marina was probably the highlight of the whole season in terms of acting. She nailed it out of the park. It's ironic that it took well over 30 years for Sirtis to actually be given material worthy of her abilities. Sirtis (and I think Gates McFadden too) were often criticized for not being the best performer on the show, but I just think they were both given terrible material 90% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 523July 11, 2020 6:19 PM

I totally agree r523!

by Anonymousreply 524July 11, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote]I know it's never going to happen, but I would be over the moon if Marina snagged a nomination.

Of course it will never happen

by Anonymousreply 525July 11, 2020 8:03 PM

This is hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526July 12, 2020 3:00 AM

Lower Decks trailer is out.

Not on YouTube yet, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527July 12, 2020 5:45 PM

Here's the YouTube link. Like a minute after I posted the other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 528July 12, 2020 5:50 PM

Yeah, not funny in the least.

by Anonymousreply 529July 13, 2020 3:10 AM

I don’t care how big of a Trekkie you are, 3 SHOWS AND A MOVIE FRANCHISE AT ONCE is TOO MUCH TREK!

I’m sick and tired of market oversaturation, Hollywood greed and monotony.

Marvel are the only ones who have maintained consistent quality, but I’m still sick to death of their shows and can’t watch the TV shit.

Only the most life-free nerd potato can keep up with one of these franchises anymore. The glut of content cheapens the brand and dilutes the importance of every show.

This is when I stopped following Trek — when they started doing 3 mediocre shows at once.

MAKE IT RARE and SPECIAL, otherwise most people are OUT!

The Chris Pine movies are all just recycled KHAN, anyway!

by Anonymousreply 530July 13, 2020 7:18 AM

R530 has stated her boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 531July 13, 2020 10:27 AM

The TNG cast (minus Jonathan Frakes) had a physically distanced outdoor gathering for Patrick Stewart's 80th Birthday yesterday. I love how close this cast is!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532July 14, 2020 1:55 PM

Nice article on all the sexist bullshit that has historically gone on behind the scenes on the various series.

When they talk about some of the sexual harassment that went on, they did neglect to mention something that happened to Nana Visitor. She had a scene where she was topless (one of the mirror universe episodes) and cups glued to her breasts, although you wouldn't actually see anything. She was taking a milk bath in the scene, and they put in orange oil into it...which dissolved the glue. She was never sure if that was done purposefully or not.

by Anonymousreply 533July 14, 2020 4:14 PM

Oopsie, there was supposed to be a link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534July 14, 2020 4:15 PM

Star Trek: Prodigy, the Nickelodeon series was formally announced.

by Anonymousreply 535July 23, 2020 10:25 PM

I think Star Force is well done, gave me a good laugh. Nice sci fi (quarantine) parody. Great household props. It lasts only a few minutes, episode two was recently released and is a bit longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536July 23, 2020 10:43 PM

I think Star Force is well done, gave me a good laugh. Nice sci fi (quarantine) parody. Great household props. It lasts only a few minutes, episode two was recently released and is a bit longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537July 23, 2020 10:43 PM

I hope with the announcement of Star Trek Prodigy, that this is it for a while. I think there are too many shows in development. Although there are rumors going around that a 7 of 9 spin-off is being planned that would start once Picard ends after season 3.

by Anonymousreply 538July 24, 2020 6:57 PM

Lower Decks premiered. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but it was better than its pedigree. It's definitely more Futurama than Rick & Morty. And the people behind it clearly LOVE Star Trek, which counts for a lot.

by Anonymousreply 539August 7, 2020 12:45 AM

R539 Mike McMahan, the creator and executive producer of Lower Decks, is a huge TNG fan. McMahan also confirmed that legacy characters from the TNG-era Treks will be appearing. There is a rumor that the ship docks at DS9 in one of the later episodes.

by Anonymousreply 540August 7, 2020 3:27 AM

Finally watched the first episode and I was surprised by how much I liked it! It felt both irreverent and nostalgic like a love letter to TNG. Mike McMahan has confirmed the we will see/hear legacy characters/actors in the first season. However, McMahan has stated the cameos are not characters you might expect to see and he's hinted at a visit to DS9. In an interview with Trek Culture he said that TNG is his favorite Trek, but that DS9 was the best written Star Trek series in terms of the scale and types of stories it told. He also said, DS9 is kind of the Lower Decks of the franchise because it's legacy is deeply felt within the franchise, but it doesn't get the respect it deserves. I suspect we won't see/hear any of the TNG regulars because they will all likely appear in Picard at some point.

by Anonymousreply 541August 8, 2020 4:29 PM

I agree they're overdoing the franchise. They're killing off the goose that laid the golden eggs.

by Anonymousreply 542August 8, 2020 4:42 PM

R542 Yeah I agree. CBS goal is to have new Star Trek on All Access available 52 weeks a year. This is why we have to live action series in production (Picard and Discovery) and two in pre-production (SNW and 31) and two animated shows.

I am concerned that this is too much too but they are handling things differently than in the 90s/early 00s. In the 90s, you had two shows on the air each producing 26 episodes a season and following the same basically story telling pattern. Yes, DS9 has more ongoing arcs but the vast majority of that show is still standalone episodes. Voyager was basically a carbon copy of TNG. The current versions are much shorter seasons with each show setting its own tone and not overlapping episodes.

by Anonymousreply 543August 8, 2020 7:19 PM

Okay, so I just got around to watching the first three episodes of Lower Decks. I personally preferred "Temporal Edict" to the first two episodes. I thought the jokes landed better in this episode and I thought it was a funny look at Scotty's buffering estimates established in the original series, and also the Miles O'Brien joke at the end was awesome.

by Anonymousreply 544August 21, 2020 9:14 PM

THIS is the Trek that should be on the air

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545August 21, 2020 9:31 PM

Disco S1 is going to air on Regular CBS in the run up to S3. And because they’re out of new programming.

by Anonymousreply 546August 27, 2020 12:28 PM

R542 They have a hand up the goose's ass but keep pulling out lumps of shit instead of gold eggs. The goose is old and tired, folks. At the very least, give her a break.

by Anonymousreply 547September 6, 2020 2:55 AM

Take as look if you've never seen this. Fan production but better than anything I've seen from CBS. This the way they should have gone. Star Trek by people who understand Trek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548September 6, 2020 3:35 AM

S3 trailer.

They did a great number of Zoom panels for all of the series today, including Strange New Worlds. Unfortunately, the goateed Ethan Peck from the Mirror Universe showed up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 549September 8, 2020 11:06 PM

R549 I'm really looking forward to Discovery! In fact, I'm actually more excited about a new season of Discovery than I am about another season of Picard.

by Anonymousreply 550September 9, 2020 2:15 AM

STP is shit, Discovery is hammered shit.

by Anonymousreply 551September 9, 2020 2:38 AM

I could care less about Discovery a.k.a. The Sonequa Martin-Green Show.

by Anonymousreply 552September 9, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote] I could care less about Discovery

Oh, so you DO care about the show. But how much less could you care about it?

by Anonymousreply 553September 9, 2020 3:21 AM

R552 You could care less? So that means you like the show? Seriously, the fandom has become a cesspool of white male idiots who is pissed because a black woman is leading the show. Guess what if you don't like Discovery, or Picard, or Lower Decks...DON'T WATCH them. Going back and watch the 90s era Trek if you want. That's awesome.

by Anonymousreply 554September 9, 2020 3:38 PM

Q will be showing up before the end of this season of Lower Decks.

by Anonymousreply 555September 11, 2020 1:22 AM

R554, you know it's just possible people don't like the show because it's terrible, not because it has a black female lead.

by Anonymousreply 556September 11, 2020 5:25 PM

I’m a gay African-American male and don’t like the show. Also, even though the post-Original Trek series had a central figure, they were mainly ensemble shows. White, black, whatever. I don’t appreciate she who was adopted by Vulcans eating up the damn show. That hokey ass speech she gave at the end of the Season One finale didn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 557September 11, 2020 9:18 PM

R552, What does being a gay AA male have to do with it?

by Anonymousreply 558September 11, 2020 9:46 PM

r558, Look at r556 post. Don’t fucking play games bitch! Come correct!

by Anonymousreply 559September 11, 2020 10:09 PM

R557 I'm just curious do you have the same criticisms of Picard since it focuses solely on his character about 80% of the time?

by Anonymousreply 560September 12, 2020 4:12 AM

I don't disagree that the first season of Discovery was too Burnham focused, but the second season did start to focus on the other characters.

by Anonymousreply 561September 12, 2020 5:43 AM

R560: He's the central character in that everyone is running over him all the time. Star Trek: Come beat on the old bald guy

by Anonymousreply 562September 13, 2020 5:46 AM

Star Trek Discovery began filming season 4 in Toronto this past Monday. The American cast were required to fly in 14 days prior and self-isolate and were tested for COVID before being allowed on set. It's believe Strange New Worlds is now in pre-production and filming will begin at the end of January.

by Anonymousreply 563October 1, 2020 3:39 AM

[quote] Also, they sand "A British Tar" in Insurrection, not "Modern Major General."

I thought it was "Three Little Maids from School"!

by Anonymousreply 564October 1, 2020 4:25 AM

They're having a Trek The Vote combo virtual convention and Biden fundraiser. They have a lot of actors, plus self-admitted Trekkie Stacey Abrams (she loves Janeway and Mulgrew is one of the guests), Cory Booker, Pete, and Andrew Yang.

by Anonymousreply 565October 3, 2020 12:39 AM

R565 looks like fun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566October 3, 2020 5:36 AM

Yeah, Marina's constant dragging of Republicans on Twitter is the entire reason I signed up. She's also been a US citizen for a long time.

That, and hopefully the chance to see Abrams fangirl out.

by Anonymousreply 567October 3, 2020 12:27 PM

R567 Yes, Marina became a naturalized American citizen back in the 90s. Patrick Stewart is also now an American citizen, becoming one in 2018 specifically so he could vote Trump out. I am surprised that so few people from Discovery are participating and no one from Strange New Worlds? Although Anson Mount and Ethan Peck have both be vocal about voting for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 568October 3, 2020 4:39 PM

[quote]Patrick Stewart is also now an American citizen, becoming one in 2018 specifically so he could vote Trump out.

Then we'll be okay. We've got Captain Picard on our side.

by Anonymousreply 569October 3, 2020 4:53 PM

FWIW, we also have Captain Janeway. Kate Mulgrew's father was heavily involved in the Democratic party and her mother was friends with the Kennedys.

by Anonymousreply 570October 4, 2020 8:47 AM

Speaking of Captain Janeway, she's confirmed for Prodigy.

Lower Decks' finale was awesome. Riker and Troi saved the day with the Titan. I have such a goofy grin on my face.

by Anonymousreply 571October 8, 2020 11:55 PM

Marina spills more wig-tea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572October 11, 2020 1:55 PM

Pete held up a Hugh action figure while moderating a panel about diversity, and I plotzed.

by Anonymousreply 573October 13, 2020 11:51 PM

Not surprised to hear Pete plays with dolls.

by Anonymousreply 574October 14, 2020 2:52 AM

Disco S4 is officially confirmed, and for the first time, going year to year with the same producer. Took a few tries, but Michelle Paradise seems to have been the one to stick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 575October 17, 2020 12:25 AM

Mary Wiseman's cookie-smelling husband played an Andorian on the latest episode of Disco.

She definitely took a gay guy to the prom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576November 19, 2020 4:59 PM

So how are we liking Discovery this season. I tend to like it more when the focus is on someone other than Michael Burnham.

by Anonymousreply 577December 12, 2020 7:11 PM

When is Season 2 of Picard?

by Anonymousreply 578December 12, 2020 8:39 PM

I'm okay with the season for the most part, but it's mostly underwhelming. I find the new Federation unrealistic and simplistic (and the head of Starfleet is completely Meh. I am enjoying the return of the Empress to the mirror universe.

by Anonymousreply 579December 12, 2020 11:42 PM

Oh, and did we really need a non-binary Wesley Crusher?

by Anonymousreply 580December 12, 2020 11:44 PM

[quote] did we really need a non-binary Wesley Crusher?

Was there ever any other sort?

by Anonymousreply 581December 13, 2020 12:39 AM

Wesley went off to become a porn star, renowned for his ability to take Klingon "Pain Sticks."

by Anonymousreply 582December 13, 2020 4:47 AM

Some of Jimmy Doohan's ashes have been aboard the ISS since 2008.

My heart, she is warmed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 583December 27, 2020 7:51 PM

With Christopher Plummer's death, it bears repeating.

Chang was truly one of the franchise's best villains. Anyone can do Shakespeare. Doing Shakespeare in the original Klingon....

by Anonymousreply 584February 5, 2021 9:27 PM

Intentionally coincidental to the film I’m sure, both Shatner and Plummer got their starts performing Shakespeare at the Stratford festival. Shatner was Plummer’s understudy and one evening he had to be hospitalized for a kidney stone, so Shatner took his place that evening and that basically kick started his career.

[quote] Both Shatner and Plummer were actors with the Stratford Festival, arguably Canada’s leading Shakespeare festival. The story goes that, after a particularly vigorous sexual encounter with a one-night stand, Plummer accidentally dislodged a kidney stone. This caused him such intense pain that he went to the hospital. By chance, Shatner was Plummer’s understudy for that performance. The play was Shakespeare’s Henry V, with Plummer in the titular role. With Plummer out of commission, Shatner had to step up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585February 5, 2021 11:55 PM

Filming for SNW is going to start soon, if it hasn't already.

Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romjin have been posting pictures of Toronto to social media, but being coy about specifics.

by Anonymousreply 586February 21, 2021 4:23 PM

R586 According to the City of Toronto production website, the first day of filming for SNW was actually last Wednesday (Feb 17th)

R578 Season two of Picard just started filming on February 16th so likely not until 2022. It sounds like they plan on filming seasons 2 and 3 back to back with a few weeks off between them.

by Anonymousreply 587February 21, 2021 4:45 PM

They announced the rest of the cast of SNW, although not who they're playing.

There was a casting sheet with fake character names that circulated a while ago. From the description, the Black woman is almost certainly playing Uhura. And one of the other characters is likely Dr. M'Benga, who was in two episodes of TOS.

by Anonymousreply 588March 21, 2021 10:12 PM

Actors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589March 21, 2021 10:12 PM

I'm really excited for this one, particularly after the total letdown of Picard.

by Anonymousreply 590March 21, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote] From the description, the Black woman is almost certainly playing Uhura. And one of the other characters is likely Dr. M'Benga, who was in two episodes of TOS.

R588, 'Strange New Worlds' is probably set too early for those two. Dr. M'Benga is from Season Two of Kirk's era, a specialist in Vulcan physiology, absent from the 1st Season.

They need to concentrate on casting several peripheral players from 'The Cage,' such as Lt. José Tyler, Yeoman J.M. Colt, and Dr. Phillip Boyce.

by Anonymousreply 591March 22, 2021 2:14 AM

I'm assuming there will be LGBTQ+ representation? My money is they'll make Number One lesbian or bi, but I would love if the made Pike bisexual just to freak a portion of the fandom out.

by Anonymousreply 592March 22, 2021 2:24 AM

R588, now that I think about it, maybe not too early for Uhura. An episode of ST: Discovery has already seen Lt. Com. Stamets mention a colleague aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise who was an "ethno-botanist," almost certainly a reference to Hikaru Sulu, although Sulu's interest in botany was only seen onscreen in 'The Man Trap'.*

In Season 3 of Discovery, I seem to recall seeing footage of a non-human family feeding an apparently animate flower, reminding me of Sulu's pet plant 'Gertrude', which was so animate that it made Yeoman Rand nervous, and exhibited a vocal outburst in the presence of the Salt Monster masquerading as Crewman Green.

by Anonymousreply 593March 22, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote][R588], 'Strange New Worlds' is probably set too early for those two. Dr. M'Benga is from Season Two of Kirk's era, a specialist in Vulcan physiology, absent from the 1st Season.

Here are the breakdowns:

Yeboah. She’s Black, in her early 20s, and fresh out of the academy. She’s a linguistics genius, bright, promising, and the youngest member of the crew and she can sound “American” or have any other accent.

La’an. She’s in her late 20s – early 30s and is the head of Security. She’s badass, physical, and suffers from PTSD. She has an air of vigilance and precision. They’d specifically like someone who is East Indian, Asian, or Middle Eastern, but are open to any ethnicity.

Ortegas. She’s in her late 20’s, Latinx, and an experienced vet. She has kept a dry wit even with the combat she’s seen. She’s smart, funny, competitive, and is able to pivot from handling a gun to making a joke.

Biodun. The ship’s doctor is a close advisor to Captain Pike, has an air of “easy erudition”, is male, Black, in his 40s, and curiously, “from the original series”.

Miller. Biodun’s nurse, she’s in her late 20s – early 30s, Caucasian, heroic, charming, free-thinking, and “the beating heart” of sickbay.

by Anonymousreply 594March 22, 2021 9:49 AM

They dropped a shit ton of news today. Discovery and Lower Decks will both be back this year. Q is returning to torment Picard. Animated Janeway was revealed. All good stuff.

They plussed the Disco uniforms a lot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 595April 6, 2021 12:01 AM

The trial never ends...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596April 6, 2021 12:06 AM

Annie Werschling, from 24 and recently Marvel's Runaways has been cast as the Borg Queen for Picard S2.

That's really good casting. She's a good actress, and she has a similar vibe to Alice Krige and Susanna Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 597September 3, 2021 7:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!