Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What's your least favorite gemstone?

I never got the fuss over diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2019 9:19 AM

Are we talking all stones, as in semi-precious too? Sorry, I don’t wear much jewelry. If we are talking all kinds of stone, I would say that amethysts have in general really disappointed me.

by Anonymousreply 1August 3, 2019 8:49 PM

While I have no personal interest in jewels per se, I still admire the beauty of Emeralds and Diamonds as a simple fact of their existence - skip to 00:40 for the BLING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 3, 2019 8:57 PM

Peridot is my birthstone, but it's such an unpleasant colour.

by Anonymousreply 3August 3, 2019 8:59 PM

A TOPAZ?! Among MY jewels? Are you MAD?

by Anonymousreply 4August 3, 2019 9:01 PM

^ Oh, sorry - You asked for LEAST favorite. That would be the Ruby.

by Anonymousreply 5August 3, 2019 9:01 PM

The expense of gemstones of utter craziness.

deBeers holds back the diamond supply specifically to keep the prices sky high.

Now that these gems can be created in the lab, all these companies are freaking out

by Anonymousreply 6August 3, 2019 9:07 PM

The proper engagement ring should cost two months salary

—made up by diamond company executives

by Anonymousreply 7August 3, 2019 9:07 PM

I love all four of the precious stones: diamonds, rubies, sapphires, and emeralds. Fancy colored diamonds are more interesting, usually, than clear ones, but clear ones can be beautiful when they are not tiny chips.

Odd fact: Rubies and sapphires are different colors of the same rare substance, corundum. When corundum is red, it is called a ruby; any other color and it is called a sapphire (though blue sapphires are the most famous). Corundum is the second hardest naturally occurring substance in existence after diamond. Diamond is a 10 on the Mohs hardness scale, while corundum is a 9. Emeralds (which are really green beryl) are way down the list at 4. People are often surprised that emeralds can shatter if you are not careful enough with them, while it is nearly impossibly to shatter a diamond, a ruby, or a sapphire (unless you are using a diamond to cut them).

Of the semi-precious stones, I like amethysts and opals (black opals especially, but most kinds are beautiful--even if they are said to bring bad luck). I love agatized coral--so pretty. Topaz can be very pretty when it is light blue or pink, but it is less attractive when yellow, its most famous color.

I do not like garnets (too dark in color) or peridots (usually an ugly shade of green).

by Anonymousreply 8August 3, 2019 9:09 PM

Ruby and sapphire

by Anonymousreply 9August 3, 2019 9:10 PM

I know someone who doesn't like emerald. Resembled 'envy' to her.

by Anonymousreply 10August 3, 2019 9:38 PM

There are medications available, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 11August 3, 2019 9:57 PM

Least favorite: amethyst, maybe. I don't like purple.

by Anonymousreply 12August 3, 2019 9:58 PM

Opals

by Anonymousreply 13August 3, 2019 9:59 PM

I collect gemstones, both precious and semi-precious. I guess I'd have to say rubies, but that's only because it's so very difficult to find really nice ones. I have a rather large one, but the clarity is pretty much non-existent. But, now that you mention it, the only diamond I own is on a stickpin that was passed down to me from my grandfather. I've never been interested in purchasing one. My Mom's wedding ring had a spectacular diamond: a very clear, large emerald-cut diamond. My Dad had shown his aunt the ring he had selected for my Mom, and his aunt told him it absolutely wouldn't do, and she worked out a deal with a jeweler she knew so my Dad could buy this spectacular ring. My family was poor, too, but it's strange what we prioritize. My Dad was absolutely nuts for my Mom.

by Anonymousreply 14August 3, 2019 10:56 PM

One stone I looooooove that isn’t a gem is larimar. On tan skin, it positively pops, it is gorgeous!! Sorry OP, some dorks like myself are struggling with telling you what we do *not* like lolol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 3, 2019 11:50 PM

Probably fire opals. Most stones are plain slightly translucent orange, and the rare ones with iridescence usually have some green in the iridescence that clashes horribly with the orange of the main stone.

My favorite stone is turquoise, BTW, which is both masculine and feminine, and represents both earth and sky. I wish men (non-Navajo men) could wear more than a simple turquoise ring without looking like a prat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 3, 2019 11:53 PM

^ Interesting stone, R15. It almost appears as the water in a pool reflecting the sun.

by Anonymousreply 17August 3, 2019 11:54 PM

Anything blue, unless it is dark blue.

by Anonymousreply 18August 3, 2019 11:57 PM

As a gay man, I'm sad that I can never buy jewelry for a woman. I love jewelry...fascinated by it! Of course, I can buy a watch, tie pin, or cuff links for a lover, but I'll never have the thrill of buying earrings, a bracelet, or a necklace with diamonds, emeralds, or pearls.

I have a niece and a nephew, and I look forward to passing my mother's jewelry to them. And I look forward to that. But I remember the thrill my Mom opened a gift of jewelry from my Dad.

by Anonymousreply 19August 4, 2019 12:05 AM

You mean you like blue? ^ Joey Luft.

by Anonymousreply 20August 4, 2019 12:06 AM

You guys wear stones? Here we just use them for laundry.

by Anonymousreply 21August 4, 2019 12:23 AM

Not a fan of "champagne" or "chocolate" diamonds. Diamonds are as plentiful as weeds and the "brown" ones are just stones that have a dirty, shitty color and couldn't be sold until they made up a desirable name for them.

by Anonymousreply 22August 4, 2019 12:30 AM

Smoky topaz. There was a period back around 30 years ago when loads of women would buy these YUGE smoky topaz rings. A single stone the size of a peach pit. They were cheap as could be, in price and appearance.

I also hate any gemstone cut in a cabochon style. Opals are especially unpleasant to me.

I'm surprised to read someone dislikes peridot. That's one of my favorite gems.

by Anonymousreply 23August 4, 2019 12:48 AM

As gays, you are required by law to like rubies because of Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 24August 4, 2019 12:52 AM

I hate diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 25August 4, 2019 1:00 AM

Tourquoise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 4, 2019 1:14 AM

Tourmaline hideous, Bloodstone elegant.

by Anonymousreply 27August 4, 2019 1:46 AM

Ruby is my least favorite.

by Anonymousreply 28August 4, 2019 1:49 AM

Aquamarine

by Anonymousreply 29August 4, 2019 1:51 AM

Turquoise, particularly the ones without veining. They look like plastic.

by Anonymousreply 30August 4, 2019 3:37 AM

I like lapiz lazuli--the color is so beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 31August 4, 2019 3:40 AM

I had one of the fireplaces on my yacht, the Christina, fashioned from Lapis Lazuli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 4, 2019 9:37 AM

Diamonds are so blah.

by Anonymousreply 33August 4, 2019 10:09 AM

R8: Emeralds are a 7.5 to 8 on the mohs hardness scale not a 4

by Anonymousreply 34August 4, 2019 11:01 AM

They still shatter more easily than other precious gems.

by Anonymousreply 35August 4, 2019 5:33 PM

Pink / sky blue zircon. Essentially anything that is pink or sky blue, really.

by Anonymousreply 36August 4, 2019 5:43 PM

mruh for me

by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Diamonds are boring. I love everything else except turquoise (is that technically a gemstone?).

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2019 5:52 PM

I thought everyone loves Opals. Surprised some don't like them.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2019 6:01 PM

Peridot. Like a cheap, half-assed emerald.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2019 6:02 PM

"Diamonds are boring." Not so when they're of at least adequate size and you catch the BLING in the right light noting all the colors of the rainbow.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2019 6:02 PM

Speaking of emeralds, it still cracks me up that Meghan thought she could insist on wearing this tiara to her wedding.

It is as if when the Queen told her she was giving Harry and her a house of their own, she had said, "GOOD--I want Balmoral Castle!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2019 7:07 PM

That “Emerald” tiara that the snip of girl wanted to wear is indeed beautiful.

I should know because my dear husband the Grand Duke Vladimir gave it to me. It was designed so that the stones could be swapped out for color depending on my gown for the evening.

Here I am wearing it with Arabian pearls.

—- The last Grand Duchess Vladimir of Russia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2019 8:40 PM

"Peridot is my birthstone, but it's such an unpleasant colour."

It's my birthstone, too. I don't much like it, either. Low quality peridots ARE pretty ugly stones. But a good peridot is a nice, bottle-green type color. But if I were to have a green birthstone I would prefer it to be emerald.

If I had a least favorite gemstone I think it might be opal. They're pretty; the best of them are gorgeous, full of fire and light. But they have the reputation of being unlucky. I tend to think it might be true. In the seventies there was a famous murder case; a Yale student named Bonnie Garland had her head bashed in by her boyfriend Richard Herrin, also a Yale student. Seems he went off his rocker when she told him she wanted to see other men. At their last Christmas together he gifted her with what he thought would be a very special gift: an opal ring. Some time ago there were news reports that Sharon Tate's "engagement ring" from Roman Polanski would be auctioned off. It wasn't a very attractive ring; mere garnets surrounding a large marquise shaped...opal.

by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2019 8:59 PM

"As a gay man, I'm sad that I can never buy jewelry for a woman."

How about your niece? Or do you have any female friends? If you gifted them with jewelry I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2019 9:02 PM

Here's that ugly ring, R44

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2019 9:15 PM

[quote] But they have the reputation of being unlucky. I tend to think it might be true.

How would that work, exactly?

Do you believe all opal deposits on the planet were somehow cursed in antiquity by some sort of evil witch?

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2019 9:17 PM

"Do you believe all opal deposits on the planet were somehow cursed in antiquity by some sort of evil witch?"

No. But the fates of Bonnie Garland and Sharon Tate certainly are a strange coincidence. Both gifted with opals and both dying horrible deaths.

by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2019 9:33 PM

Correlation =/= Causality

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2019 9:46 PM

[quote]R10 I know someone who doesn't like emerald. Resembled 'envy' to her.

The French believe emeralds to be unlucky.

I learned this from the trashy novel [italic]Lace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2019 10:10 PM

≠ on a Mac r49.

I'm great; you're not.

by Anonymousreply 51August 4, 2019 10:22 PM

R45, His niece has probably been ruining herself with tampons. Who'd buy that whore jewelry?

by Anonymousreply 52August 4, 2019 11:18 PM

Some people think pearls are bad luck. There are a lot of superstitions pertaining to gemstones.

by Anonymousreply 53August 4, 2019 11:44 PM

[quote] I'm great; you're not.

Even despite your thrilling keyboarding skills, I cannot take such a claim seriously from someone who believes certain mineraloids are hexed.

Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 54August 4, 2019 11:57 PM

"mineraloids" -- ???

by Anonymousreply 55August 4, 2019 11:59 PM

Not familiar with mineralogy? Maybe this will help some:

[quote] A mineraloid is a naturally-occurring mineral-like substance that does not demonstrate crystallinity. Mineraloids possess chemical compositions that vary beyond the generally accepted ranges for specific minerals. For example, obsidian is an amorphous glass and not a crystal. Jet is derived from decaying wood under extreme pressure. Opal is another mineraloid because of its non-crystalline nature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2019 12:16 AM

News to me

by Anonymousreply 57August 5, 2019 12:19 AM

Okay, so you've convinced me to purchase a peridot. I don't think I have one in my collection. Also, a couple of other green stones, like an Alexandrite. (From the recent Bond thread). I've started to want a diamond, you assholes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 5, 2019 12:56 AM

Did Sparkle REALLY want to wear the tiara at R42 to her wedding? How audacious can you get? I thought the tiara she ended up wearing (Queen Mary's bandeau tiara) suited her gown perfectly. It was understated, which went very well with her plain as an old shoe wedding dress.

by Anonymousreply 59August 5, 2019 1:37 AM

Amazing that people spend millions of dollars to buy little colored rocks. Because that's what all gemstones are: colored rocks.

by Anonymousreply 60August 5, 2019 2:51 AM

Would you wear the diamond, or just keep it in a case and gloat over it?

by Anonymousreply 61August 5, 2019 2:57 AM

All of them. Never got the "fuss" over any of them really. Not a jewelry person.

by Anonymousreply 62August 5, 2019 3:12 AM

All of them. Never got the "fuss" over any of them really. Not a jewelry person.

by Anonymousreply 63August 5, 2019 3:12 AM

[quote] I also hate any gemstone cut in a cabochon style.

I had to Google "cabochon." You're right. It really is ugly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64August 5, 2019 6:34 AM

R64 cabochon gems that are of fine quality can be beautiful. The examples in your pic are cheap, so of course they aren't much to look at.

by Anonymousreply 65August 5, 2019 6:51 AM

My favorite are excellent quality star rubies and star sapphires. Although it really is difficult to choose a favorite. I should have been a jeweler like my great uncle.

by Anonymousreply 66August 5, 2019 6:53 AM

Thankfully nobody said Citrine!

by Anonymousreply 67August 5, 2019 6:56 AM

Opal, and turquoise. Those are the frauest stones.

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2019 9:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!