Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will Hurd, only black Republican in House, won’t seek reelection

POLITICO

08/01/2019, 08:18 PM EDT

Rep. Will Hurd of Texas, the only black Republican in the House, won’t seek reelection in 2020, he announced on Thursday.

“I have made the decision to not seek reelection for the 23rd Congressional District of Texas in order to pursue opportunities outside the halls of Congress to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security,” he announced on his website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2019 2:38 PM

I thought he was a dark skinned Mexican. I had no idea he was black.

by Anonymousreply 1August 2, 2019 12:55 AM

Uncle Tom

by Anonymousreply 2August 2, 2019 12:55 AM

His “district” runs from San Antonio to El Paso, I believe. 700 or 800 miles

How’s that for fucked up district shape? Fucking repugs.

by Anonymousreply 3August 2, 2019 1:19 AM

Do you hate him now, r1?

by Anonymousreply 4August 2, 2019 1:23 AM

He BARELY won in 2018. He sees the writing on the wall. He is also the ONLY Republican who's district is on the Mexican border. All others are held by Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 5August 2, 2019 1:24 AM

Agreed, R5.

Democrat Gina Ortiz lost by less than 1% in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 6August 2, 2019 1:29 AM

As Sahil Kapur of Bloomberg News points out, this is the third Republican House member from Texas to announce retirement for 2020:

Will Hurd (TX)

Mike Conaway (TX)

Pete Olson (TX)

Martha Roby (AL)

Paul Mitchell (MI)

Susan Brooks (IN)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 2, 2019 1:33 AM

Tiny Tent®️™️

by Anonymousreply 8August 2, 2019 1:38 AM

FUCK HIM and FUCK ALL REPUBLICANS.

by Anonymousreply 9August 2, 2019 1:39 AM

[quote]pursue opportunities outside the halls of Congress to solve problems at the nexus between technology and national security

in other words, someone likely offered him a highly-paid job as thanks for under-the-table deals

by Anonymousreply 10August 2, 2019 1:41 AM

Noah Rudnick, Election Data Analyst:

[quote]Multiple GOPers from Texas are retiring and this chart could give a glimpse why: Not only are GOP the minority party in the House, but Texas as a delegation probably lost sway when the House flipped

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 2, 2019 1:42 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 2, 2019 1:44 AM

Can you explain what that map shows, PollTroll? I can't figure out the context of it.

by Anonymousreply 13August 2, 2019 2:53 AM

R13 it's in the link at r11

by Anonymousreply 14August 2, 2019 3:43 AM

Thanks, R14! And thanks, as always, PollTroll!

by Anonymousreply 15August 2, 2019 3:44 AM

Yes, R14, the map is from Noah Rudnick's analysis posted at R11.

Thanks, R15.

by Anonymousreply 16August 2, 2019 3:54 AM

I still can't figure out what the fuck those numbers represent even after reading r11.

by Anonymousreply 17August 2, 2019 4:35 AM

Gina Ortiz is running for the seat again, and Pete Buttigieg endorsed her tonight:

[quote]I was proud to support fellow veteran @GinaOrtizJones as she nearly unseated Will Hurd last year in one of Texas’s most competitive Congressional districts. Delighted that she‘s stepping up again in what will now be an open seat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 2, 2019 5:11 AM

I've heard political analysis that says Texas could flip from red to blue. It can happen. The sooner the better.

by Anonymousreply 19August 2, 2019 6:01 AM

R19 it will take awhile. The Republicans have gerrymandered the hell out of Texas to ensure at least another few decades of red.

by Anonymousreply 20August 2, 2019 10:52 AM

Sabato's Crystal Ball & Cook Political Report have both moved Texas-23 from Toss-Up to Lean Democratic after the news of Hurd's retirement.

(Texas-22, where another Republican announced retirement last week, has been moved from Lean Republican to Toss-Up.)

by Anonymousreply 21August 2, 2019 11:05 AM

R4 I don't understand why I would suddenly hate him. As a general rule I'm weary of any Republican. Moscow Mitch and Wobbly-head Susan Collins I probably hate more than anyone else.

This dude , who I watched on Bill Maher, is just like a conformist James Comey. They get it stuck in their heads Republican party = party of patriots. Which is some flawed logic to say the least. IIRC Hurd is former CIA, so I'm not surprised he is an R, my only revelation was that I wasn't sure what his ethnicity was. I thought he might have been Guatemalan which IMO would have demanded he be more sympathetic to the border crossers. That's the only reason I even cared to note his ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 22August 2, 2019 11:34 AM

You hate Collins more than you hate Ms. Lindsey?

by Anonymousreply 23August 2, 2019 11:51 AM

As others have said Hurd knew hanging onto his seat was going to be tough, with him retiring that is one the Dems are going to flip for sure.

by Anonymousreply 24August 2, 2019 12:04 PM

With Hurd stepping down and Amash out there a two fewer brown people to provide cover for Trump and the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 25August 2, 2019 12:11 PM

Yes R23 b/c the Senatrice is an obvious hypocrite that lacks any substance other than partisan dreck. The Senatrice I find dull for some reason. It could be because I'm from the South, and I'm accustomed to vapid closet cases.

Wobbly-head Hoe on the other hand adds the pretext of gullibility to her act. It's more sinister IMO because she knows stupid women buy it.

Also , I posted next to the PollTroll 😊. I would ask for an autograph but like... it's the PollTroll … you don't just.. ya .. ya don't just go up to him and ask for things .

by Anonymousreply 26August 2, 2019 12:38 PM

hint type @PollTroll and they will be notified that you mentioned them in a post.

by Anonymousreply 27August 2, 2019 12:59 PM

The thing about gerrymandering in Texas is that an increasing number of areas can't be gerrymandered any more. There's no way to cut the district in the GOP favor because these areas have enough of a Dem majority that there's no room left to carve out a weird GOP district. It's spreading out farther and farther. Dan Crenshaw is another Texas Rep. who barely won his gerrymandered state.

by Anonymousreply 28August 2, 2019 1:33 PM

R27 do you think... I can use such knowledge responsibly 😅!? I'll use it in another thread, I don't want to trouble the PollTroll, I'm sure he's busy.

Also R28 that's good to know ! Who would have thought that math/logic would prevent gerrymandering lol. Eventually you run out of space xD!

by Anonymousreply 29August 2, 2019 4:20 PM

Any nudes?

by Anonymousreply 30August 2, 2019 4:28 PM

Beto's buddy voted against opening formal impeachment inquiries (the procedural vote that was proxy for approval of the formal inquiry).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 6, 2019 2:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!