Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sci-Fi Night on Turner Classic Movies (TCM)

Robert Osborn must be turning over in his grave. Multiple times.

8:00 p.m Eastern (Tuesday 7/30) - Close Encounters of the Third Kind

10:30 p.m. Eastern (Tuesday 7/30) - Star Wars: A New Hope

12:45 a.m. Eastern (Wednesday7/31) - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

3:00 a.m. Eastern (Wednesday 7/31) - Solaris

6:00 a.m. Eastern (Wednesday 7/31) - Logan's Run

Obviously, new management is in charge of TCM. Sad!

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2019 2:12 AM

Robert Osborn never would have allowed this.

These are not even "classic" movies.

by Anonymousreply 1July 30, 2019 7:45 PM

Those movies are 40 years old now. They are classics to many.

by Anonymousreply 2July 30, 2019 7:47 PM

With the exception of Wrath of Khan, I think TCM has shown all of them.

by Anonymousreply 3July 30, 2019 7:48 PM

I think I'll watch Wrath of Khan and Logan's Run.

I love both of those movies.

by Anonymousreply 4July 30, 2019 9:42 PM

Looking over that list, I doubt that's the original "Solaris" in the middle of all of that crap.

by Anonymousreply 5July 30, 2019 9:45 PM

To the last, I grapple with thee;

From hell’s heart, I stab at thee;

For hate’s sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

by Anonymousreply 6July 30, 2019 9:47 PM

[quote] I doubt that's the original "Solaris" in the middle of all of that crap.

TCM has show the original Solaris before so perhaps it is.

by Anonymousreply 7July 30, 2019 9:47 PM

Some of these were on even while RO was alive, including CLOSE ENCOUNTERS and LOGAN's RUN.

Aug 5th is "Obscure Melvyn Douglas Movies Day", so stop complaining.

by Anonymousreply 8July 30, 2019 9:51 PM

It's Solaris from 1972, R5.

I'm not sure if that's the original, though. I've never seen the movie.

by Anonymousreply 9July 30, 2019 9:51 PM

R9

Yep, 1972 is the Russian version.

It's well worth seeing, but not at 3 a.m. unless you're normally up at that hour.

by Anonymousreply 10July 30, 2019 10:00 PM

R10 is posting from 1972 before VCRs and DVRs.

by Anonymousreply 11July 30, 2019 10:01 PM

I'm also posting from a time when Solaris was the standard for good science fiction, not Spielberg, Lucas, and Captain Kirk.

by Anonymousreply 12July 30, 2019 10:04 PM

That 2000 movie with Peter Facinelli's ass in it is a classic!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13July 30, 2019 10:07 PM

There are actually two more Sci-Fi movies after Logan's Run. It's about 16 hours of straight up Sci-Fi on TCM!

8:15 a.m. Eastern (Wednesday 7/31) - Westworld

10:15 a.m. Eastern (Wednesday 7/31) - 2010

by Anonymousreply 14July 30, 2019 10:22 PM

[quote]Obviously, new management is in charge of TCM. Sad!

Just to clarify your position, OP.

Is it that classic Sci Fi movies don't count among movie classics OR that you don't think these particular movies are classics of the genre?

by Anonymousreply 15July 30, 2019 10:24 PM

I think that Sci-Fi movies are traditionally what TCM has aired in the past, particularly when Robert Osborn was host, R15.

It just didn't seem to be his thing, and most definitely not what he would have considered to be a "classic movie."

by Anonymousreply 16July 30, 2019 10:29 PM

Sorry, meant to say "Sci-Fi movies are NOT traditionally what TCM has aired in the past..."

by Anonymousreply 17July 30, 2019 10:29 PM

So, a Sci Fi movie by definition cannot be a classic movie.

While there may be classics of the genre, it is a mockery of the term "Classic Movie" to identify one of them as such?

Does that summarize your position, r16?

by Anonymousreply 18July 30, 2019 10:32 PM

They showed many of these films when he was still alive. Where have you guys been? DL, you disappoint me sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 19July 30, 2019 10:33 PM

I don't know when Star Wars: A New Hope, became a classic movie.

It's not even held in that regard, within the Sci-Fi genre.

I could see making the case for Wrath of Khan and Close Encounters, because these movies have become iconic, but not Star Wars.

by Anonymousreply 20July 30, 2019 10:39 PM

[quote]It's not even held in that regard, within the Sci-Fi genre.

While it's true that many people consider The Empire Strikes Back to be the best of the Star Wars movies, Star Wars itself is still held in high regard. As the first of the series, it would hold a high place within those movies.

How did you come to the conclusion that it wasn't considered a classic among Sci Fi movies?

by Anonymousreply 21July 30, 2019 10:59 PM

How many posters in this thread still use their Victrola's?

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2019 11:09 PM

[quote] Victrola's

What does the Victrola possess?

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2019 11:26 PM

I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" are not classic films, regardless of genre. People make arguments based too often on their own personal tastes, not reality (that reality being the film's reception by the general public and critics at large). It's like saying "I Love Lucy" isn't a television classic simply because you personally didn't think Lucille Ball was funny. Oh, okay.

I don't like westerns. Never have. Just not my thing. However, I would never say "True Grit" isn't a classic because it just is.

by Anonymousreply 24July 31, 2019 1:13 AM

[quote] I don't see how anyone can seriously make the case that "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters" are not classic films

Nobody here said that.

In fact, R20 basically said the same thing that you did.

by Anonymousreply 25July 31, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]Robert Osborn never would have allowed this. These are not even "classic" movies.

For my money, Solaris [italic]is[/italic] a classic. In fact, Osborne was alive when TCM did an Adrei Tarkovsky month, during which they showed all of his movies, from The Steamroller and the Violin to The Sacrifice.

Anyway, TCM has been stretching the concept of "classic" for a long, LONG time. I mean they've shown Bowery Boys films for god's sake.

by Anonymousreply 26July 31, 2019 3:43 AM

Solaris has a Criterion Collection release.

It is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2019 3:52 AM

I bet it won't be the 1977 version of STAR WARS, it will be that horrid, bastardized 1997 "special edition" that asshole George Lucas foisted on the public.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2019 3:57 AM

"I could see making the case for Wrath of Khan and Close Encounters, because these movies have become iconic, but not Star Wars."

I could see making the case that you don't know what "iconic" means.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2019 4:17 AM

[quote]I don't know when Star Wars: A New Hope, became a classic movie.

When it became the highest-grossing film in history and was nominated for a "Best Picture" Oscar. It only lost because Annie Hall was also nominated that year.

[quote]It's not even held in that regard, within the Sci-Fi genre.

It's more fantasy than sci-fi, but it inspired an entire generation of people to become filmmakers. It is held in VERY high regard.

[quote]I could see making the case for Wrath of Khan and Close Encounters, because these movies have become iconic, but not Star Wars.

LOL. For your sake, I hope you're joking.

by Anonymousreply 30July 31, 2019 4:31 AM

Close Encounters was such a good movie.

It really showcased the genius of Spielberg.

After that, it was all downhill for him, because he became too commercial and corporate.

by Anonymousreply 31July 31, 2019 4:41 AM

[quote] I bet it won't be the 1977 version of STAR WARS, it will be that horrid, bastardized 1997 "special edition" that asshole George Lucas foisted on the public.

Correct.

by Anonymousreply 32July 31, 2019 4:50 AM

Not just sci-fi night, OP; July has been sci-fi month on TCM. If tonight's lineup isn't classic enough for you, they've featured films spanning the entire 20th century, beginning with 1902's "A Trip to the Moon".

by Anonymousreply 33July 31, 2019 5:14 AM

Do we have a picture of the OP? Why, yes, here it is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 31, 2019 5:41 AM

TCM has always shown classic, often quite cheesy, 1950s B&W sci fi. I love that stuff, and I’ve been watching it on TCM forever. It may not have been on RO's time, though. I remember some host or other talking about Ray Harryhausen. Maybe it was Ben Mankiewicz.

I automatically recoil when I see any post-1980 movie listed on TCM, but then I remember that I’m old. To a 30-year-old, a 1980 movie is a classic, the same way a 1950 movie is to me … although I’m not sure how many 30-year-olds are watching TCM.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2019 8:02 AM

“Star Wars” was a TCM premiere tonight. It’s certainly more of a classic than “A League of Their Own” and “Sleepless in Seattle,” which they’ve shown several times, before Robert Osborne died. R33 is correct, they’ve shown sci-fi from the beginning of the 20th Century up to 1982, so they’re well within a historical framework.

by Anonymousreply 36July 31, 2019 8:06 AM

It's sadly typical that the screaming pearlclutcher who can't stop fussing about how scandalized Robert Osborne would be over this schedule can't even spell his last name correctly.

by Anonymousreply 37July 31, 2019 8:52 AM

Hope this doesn't send any of you into a suicide spiral but Osborne liked CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

Dig up the 2012 "Essentials" episode where Osborne and Drew Barrymore introduce the film and see for yourself.

Absolutely hate that DL is all know-nothings who bitch incessantly over shit they completely made up. It's 24/7 "oohhhh back in my daayyy this never would have happened, these nasty new movies from 1982 are crap we never would have watched" and it's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 38July 31, 2019 8:56 AM

There wasn't even one black person in Logan's Run, and it was made in 1976.

Was that intentional?

Although if you want to be technical, the voice of the weird robot thing in the ice, was performed by a black guy - Roscoe Lee Browne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 31, 2019 10:56 AM

[quote] the voice of the weird robot thing in the ice, was performed by a black guy - Roscoe Lee Browne.

If the robot misses "The Bold and the Beautiful” he becomes a raging bitch.

by Anonymousreply 40July 31, 2019 1:24 PM

[quote]In fact, [R20] basically said the same thing that you did.

Uh, no, they didn't. Learn to read.

by Anonymousreply 41July 31, 2019 11:14 PM

They repeated Star Wars tonight.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2019 2:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!