Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Farewell

Just saw this indie film starring Awkwafina. It’s great and she’s great. The lady who plays her grandmother is adorable and deserves nominations for Best Supporting Actress. She’ll probably get the Golden Globe. Spoiler comment inside.

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2020 12:16 AM

I think the sweet and goofy cousin is crying at his wedding reception because he’s actually gay and trapped in an arranged marriage, not because his grandmother is dying.

by Anonymousreply 1July 28, 2019 5:43 PM

Is it all about statuettes with you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2July 28, 2019 5:45 PM

Why does she have such a stupid name?

by Anonymousreply 3July 28, 2019 5:48 PM

Who would name a child "Awkwafina"?

by Anonymousreply 4July 28, 2019 5:58 PM

r4 No one; it's her rap moniker. Her parents named her Nora Lum.

by Anonymousreply 5July 28, 2019 7:06 PM

Oh, that's much better, r5.

by Anonymousreply 6July 28, 2019 7:15 PM

It's a sweet movie made for Chinese grandmothers. I have no idea why it's getting such acclaim. Awkwafina is sort of appealing as a Chinese-American every-girl (as in everyman--you know) but...please, it was kinda boring. Be honest.

by Anonymousreply 7July 28, 2019 7:20 PM

She needs to drop the Awkwafina name idiocy. Why is she keeping it? It's as bad a "Lady Gaga" being nominated for an Oscar. Why didn't she use her real name? What if some guy's stage name in the future is "Big Dick Joe"? Is everyone just going to go along with it come award time?

by Anonymousreply 8July 28, 2019 7:34 PM

You DO know you’re on DL, right, R2/asshole?

by Anonymousreply 9July 28, 2019 8:55 PM

This was so dull, I fell asleep. One moment Awkwafina was saying something at the wedding and then the whole family was walking, walking like a pack with her in front. Did I miss much?

I did not find this film engaging at all. Such a weak script. Nobody in this film deserves an Oscar nomination. That’s just silly.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2019 2:13 PM

Glad Awkwafina wasn’t nominated.

The film itself was appealing and well done but not awards-worthy. And I HATED the ending.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2020 1:56 PM

R11: it was more awards worthy than most of the crap nominated. I thought it was well written, concise, and implemented unique devices like the seamless background transitions and the scene of her running. Her and her grandmother both deserved acting nominations.

I thought the ending was odd until the credits came up and the grandmother is still alive. I thought it made for a great ending,

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2020 2:10 PM

R12, I was referring to the coda, I guess, not the actual ending. The story is about impending mortality and letting go. The coda was a total cheat and cutesy as hell. I don’t care if that’s what’s really happened with Lulu Wang’s own Nai Nai, she’s telling us a story and fucks it up with that coda. Don’t ask us to get emotionally invested in that old lady’s plight (and her granddaughter’s emotional anguish) only to pull the rug out from under us at the last second. Good riddance it got shut out.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2020 3:00 PM

But the director is telling her true story. If her nai nai didn’t die then she sure as hell will not write that she died. Bad karma putting that into the universe. It’s biographical, so she’s writing what really happened. If she did die, then you would get a different story.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 7:35 AM

I did not care much about the film, either. A sweet story but that is it. Awkwafina was the best thing in it but it was not an Oscar-contender role.

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 7:49 AM

R14, you failed to grasp my point. It’s not a documentary, it’s a STORY and I don’t give a shit if it happened to Lulu Wang’s nai nai in real life. It’s a cheat in terms of narrative. We’re expected to build up reserves of sympathy for this dying old lady and then...really?

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 8:16 PM

They even lied to the grandma when they were shooting the movie in her neighborhood a couple of blocks from her house. Lulu’s grandma even visited the set and kept asking what the movie is about and they lied and didn’t tell her. Bet she got the shock of her life at the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 11:22 PM

Horrible one-note performance. She can’t act.

by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 11:35 PM

Her Golden Globe for Best Actress would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 11:43 PM

I finally got around to seeing this and loved it! Awkwafina should have garnered an Oscar nomination -- at least instead of ScarJo!

by Anonymousreply 20March 11, 2020 4:30 PM

The movie which is based on real events has a very interesting and unique premise and perspective and is very well executed. It deserves all the accolades it's getting.

I don't want to sound sexist but I saw a lot of Berry Jenkings shots in that film so I guess she really admires her husband.

by Anonymousreply 21March 11, 2020 4:36 PM

I saw it yesterday. I kept falling asleep. Awkwafina was totally one note and thankfully didn't get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 22March 11, 2020 4:59 PM

I did not find her one-note at all. I found a lot of subtle nuance in her performance.

by Anonymousreply 23March 11, 2020 6:32 PM

The father is on a roll. He played Awkwafina’s father in The Farewell. Next he plays Mulan’s father. Then he plays Constance Wu’s father in Tigerlily.

Is there only one Asian actor of a certain age?

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2020 12:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!