Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Susan Collins might back out of 2020 election as her approval rating plummets

Collins’ approval in Maine has gone from 78 percent in 2015 to a mere 45 percent in 2019, per Morning Consult

July 26, 2019

Sen. Susan Collins of Maine has been under fire from both Democrats and fellow Republicans during the Trump era. Democrats are angry that the 66-year-old senator has been voting with President Donald Trump too often, while the far right has been insisting that she isn’t pro-Trump enough. And Collins is considering not seeking reelection in 2020, Bloomberg News is reporting.

Collins, according to Bloomberg’s Steven T. Dennis, won’t decide for sure whether or not she will seek a fifth term until the fall. And a major problem is the fact that her approval ratings have been plummeting: according to Morning Consult, Collins’ approval in Maine has gone from 78 percent in 2015 to a mere 45 percent in 2019.

Potential 2020 challengers for Collins — assuming she does decide to seek another term — have been lining up on both the Democratic and Republican sides.

Right-wing blogger Derek Levasseur, earlier this year, announced a GOP primary challenge to Collins in Maine. As Levasseur sees it, the conservative-leaning Collins isn’t conservative enough. If Levasseur were to defeat Collins in the primary, she wouldn’t even make it to the general election. And if she defeated Levasseur and did reach the general election, she could face an equally fired up Democrat.

It remains to be seen who that Democratic challenger would be, but Maine Democrats have been lining up for an opportunity to take her on in the general election. And they range from Sara Gideon (speaker of the Maine House of Representatives) to attorney Bre Kidman to retired U.S. Air Force Gen. Jonathan Treacy.

To say that the Democratic National Committee (DNC) is longing to see Collins’ seat in Democratic hands in 2021 is an understatement. If Democrats can maintain every Senate seat they are defending in 2020 and take four seats from Republicans, they would achieve a Senate majority — and the DNC sees Collins as quite vulnerable.

The Trump era, as Dennis notes in Bloomberg, has “been hard on Collins.” Democrats are furious with her for various reasons — namely, her vote to confirm Justice Brett Kavanaugh to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2018, although her vote in favor of the GOP-sponsored Tax Cuts and Jobs Act angers them as well.

But on the Republican side, Collins is routinely lambasted for being pro-choice on the abortion issue and for opposing GOP efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act of 2010, also known as Obamacare.

In an interview with Bloomberg News, Collins expressed her dismay over the angry partisan divisions in the U.S. yet seemed optimistic about her ability to overcome her low approval ratings — asserting, “The divisiveness of our country and the unceasing attacks by dark money groups in Maine have clearly had an impact. But I believe that once Mainers really focus on the race and we remind them of my being the No. 1 most bipartisan member of the Senate — and all the accomplishments that I can point to that have directly benefited the state — I’ll be fine.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2019 7:30 AM

hahahaha

but I actually want her to run and get her ass kicked. She deserves to feel the consequences of her actions. With the exception of voting against the attempt to repeal Obamacare, she has voted with repubs on all the other big ones from Kavanaugh to the tax bill. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2019 2:50 AM

Now that she doesn't have to worry about another election, she can finally be ~~*brave*~~ !!!

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2019 2:54 AM

Hate her.

by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2019 2:57 AM

It’s her quavery voice that makes me stabbish.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2019 2:59 AM

R2, she won't make her final decision until the fall.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2019 3:00 AM

Well this is all terribly concerning.

by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2019 3:35 AM

Maybe she just wants to spend more time with her concerns.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2019 3:44 AM

Stop attacking Susan Collins.

First of all, she hired extra staff to research Kavanaugh’s ruling record to make sure he was more centrist and in agreement with other justices. She wanted to be very careful about this.

And frankly, Christine Blasey Ford’s accusations did not meet any preponderance of evidence standard. Her own friend Leland Keiser, who was pressured to change her account, refused and told the FBI that she remembered that summer very well because it was a very formative summer for her, but she did not remember any event in question.

Even if Dr. Ford were telling the truth, you know very well that if it were a pro-choice guy being nominated, she would have held her tongue.

That whole Kavanaugh fiasco was nothing but political theatre to rile the country up.

by Anonymousreply 8July 27, 2019 3:53 AM

I hate her, too. She never adequately worshipped me after I gave her the career break of a lifetime, and allowed her to be the first person to record "Both Sides, Now."

by Anonymousreply 9July 27, 2019 4:08 AM

She really did ruin her reputation over the supreme court justice vote last year. Many who may have gave her the benefit of the doubt previously seemed to cease doing so.

by Anonymousreply 10July 27, 2019 4:14 AM

Before you give her a pass on Kavanaugh, research how many OTHER horrible horrible horrible judges she has voted for as McConnell puts up one unqualified right wing after another and she pulls the YES lever. Many other damaged things in our country can be fixed, although it will take time, but the judiciary is now FUCKED for about the next 30 years thanks to the Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 11July 27, 2019 4:26 AM

right wingers^^^

by Anonymousreply 12July 27, 2019 4:27 AM

At least she's pretty.

by Anonymousreply 13July 27, 2019 4:44 AM

R8, maybe you can get back to us when an abortion case comes before the Supreme Court. I suspect her confidence in Justice Kavanaugh was a little misplaced.

It's not "political theatre" when women are genuinely outraged over potentially losing their right to an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 14July 27, 2019 5:27 AM

[quote] Christine Blasey Ford’s accusations did not meet any preponderance of evidence standard

It wasn't a trial.

It was more like a job interview. Do you really want to choose the guy with these accusations when there are hundreds of other possible nominees?

by Anonymousreply 15July 27, 2019 5:31 AM

Susan Collins is disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 16July 27, 2019 6:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 27, 2019 7:04 AM

Bye bitch. Do the world a favor and leave now

by Anonymousreply 18July 27, 2019 7:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!