Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nadler opening Impeachment investigation in his committee now

Neatly sidestepping a vote by the entire House. Seems like a good move!

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2019 12:35 AM

Press conference live

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 26, 2019 4:26 PM

NBC:

Pelosi: A decision on impeachment will be made in a 'timely fashion'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 26, 2019 4:35 PM

Possibly premature, possibly not. Only 93 Representatives have come out in favor of proceedings so far, but this might force more to make up their minds.

My main concern is that this will be spun as "Democrats fighting against each other" by the media since he side-stepped a House vote.

by Anonymousreply 3July 26, 2019 4:37 PM

Okay OP, where are you getting the impeachment investigation? I'm only seeing that he's asking for grand jury material related to the Mueller report.

by Anonymousreply 4July 26, 2019 4:40 PM

What R4 said -- I didn't see anything in the press conference about "opening an impeachment investigation."

by Anonymousreply 5July 26, 2019 4:41 PM

In fact, Nadler was asked point blank if he would sidestep Pelosi and start impeachment proceedings on his own, and he didn't answer the question.

The language in the suit says impeachment is a consideration, not decided yet, and Pelosi is in agreement with the language in the suit.

OP, seriously? Are you fucking lying just to get some replies on a thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 26, 2019 4:42 PM

100 Dems now support impeachment inquiry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 26, 2019 4:43 PM

[quote]Just asked Nadler if what they’re doing now is the same thing as an impeachment inquiry, and he said: “In effect.” And then he said the distinction is that impeachment inquiry is just about impeachment. His probe is a bit broader but could lead to recommendation of impeachment

by Anonymousreply 8July 26, 2019 4:45 PM

OP may have jumped the gun but apparently many are taking this as an actual impeachment inquiry.

[quote]NADLER says that the House Judiciary Committee is "in effect" holding an impeachment inquriy, which he and colleagues say isn't necessarily formally voted upon.

[quote]Several collleagues call it an "impeachment investigation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 26, 2019 4:53 PM

It will never pass the Republican Senate.

by Anonymousreply 10July 26, 2019 5:03 PM

This is Nadler opening an inquiry into an impeachment inquiry. Impeachment power is enumerated in the court papers as a reason for the lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 11July 26, 2019 5:03 PM

The House can impeach. The Senate can refuse to convict. That has happened before, but the President has still been impeached by the House - just not removed from office. By the time enough evidence for impeachment is gathered, that might change anyway. There has to be a tipping point somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 12July 26, 2019 5:06 PM

Everyone knows that, R10, it's almost useless pointing that out. But people still want an inquiry and an impeachment even if it won't result in conviction. He's done so much that's illegal that it's almost impossible to NOT go forward with it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 26, 2019 5:06 PM

Will never happen.

by Anonymousreply 14July 26, 2019 5:19 PM

Good!

by Anonymousreply 15July 26, 2019 5:39 PM

NPR's Tim Mak:

With the latest count, 42% of House Democrats support starting an impeachment inquiry as we head into August recess

by Anonymousreply 16July 26, 2019 6:35 PM

100 Dems support impeachment now.

by Anonymousreply 17July 26, 2019 10:52 PM

[quote]100 Dems now support impeachment inquiry.

The slow trickle is planned. They know exactly when they want to start the official inquiry. It's all gamesmanship. If they had gone too fast, everyone in the media would have been on the "it's all political" bandwagon with Trump as the victim. The slow trickle allows for the Democrats to build the tension and narrative. Trump and Co. have been so nice to make sure to make their obstruction so blatant that it will never be upheld by a court of law.

They'll all go home to their districts in August. They will come back saying that their constituents are overwhelmingly and fervently in support of impeachment, so they are now on board. They look like the deliberate grown-ups. They start the inquiry in September/October. The Impeachment hearing begin. The final vote happens after they come back in January/February 2020. Trump spends the election year doing the same ranting he does now to no effect. McConnell gets to spend the run up to the election having John Roberts sitting in the Senate Chamber and the whole country will spend next summer listening to the crimes of Trump and his family enumerated over and over on live television and every single newscast.

by Anonymousreply 18July 26, 2019 11:23 PM

And also, hopefully by then, r18, they’ll have dumped all kinds of dirt on McConnell. They’re already starting to trickle out some things about his Russian connections. Nothing that was new, but it’s finally hit the mainstream media.

by Anonymousreply 19July 27, 2019 12:13 AM

It’s not the point, R10. NOTHING will pass the GOP Senate. But they can air all this dirty laundry in the House. There is no reason for democracy to lay down and die. AND NOBODY KNOWS WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE. Nobody knows anything. We have to take action and we have to make an effort to control the narrative. The GOP is FAR MORE terrified than anybody else because they know how deeply they’re all engaged in a cover up.

People need to remember - the American media is led by the right wing. You can’t take all the opinion you hear in the media as representative of the mainstream. We have to fight for democracy while we have the chance using EVERY tool at our disposal.

Trump went bankrupt 4 or 5 times. It’ll happen again.

by Anonymousreply 20July 27, 2019 12:19 AM

Exactly R18. Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 21July 27, 2019 12:22 AM

You know that shit is getting real when it is revealed that they are also investigating Pence. They will go TOGETHER.

by Anonymousreply 22July 27, 2019 1:22 AM

I hope people come out to the town halls during these the recess period to really amp up public support

by Anonymousreply 23July 27, 2019 1:26 AM

I hope the Dems hold town halls about impeachment.

Do we know for sure they're going to?

by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2019 1:35 AM

The Democrats always hold town halls. It's the Repugs who hate their constituents and don't want to hear anything from them.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2019 1:41 AM

Good lord. If this treasonous fucker isn’t impeached we might as well forget about ever using the provision again. On Wednesday, both Nadler and Schiff made the case in their opening round of questions with Mueller. tRump “colluded” with the Russians, asked for their help, and welcomed what was sent. They had dozens of contacts with Russia, and many — including tRump and Manafort — sought to benefit monetarily from this criminality. 45 and his miserable sycophants then lied about what occurred when asked by Mueller during the federal inquiry and tried to submarine the investigation. The occupant of the Oval Office is nothing more than a common criminal and history should record him that way.

This is an excellent start down that road.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2019 2:14 AM

Be patient. The worm is turning.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2019 6:16 AM

We know, at this point, that the Senate won’t remove Dump. But I do wonder if they’re slow-rolling this because they expect bigger revelations to come down the pike. Now, we know Dump is seemingly immune to damage from shit, but i wonder if Nancy knows that more shit is coming and is just working the timing, hoping he’s weakened enough to be unable to fight back as effectively in 2020, thus also hurting his re-election efforts. Dump is a nasty fighter, but I think even he will have a tough time fighting on multiple fronts.

His hard core supporters, as always, won’t budge (neither did Nixon’s) but hopefully a good majority of citizens will finally be fed up width him.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2019 3:44 PM

Nadler is my Senator. I'm proud of him and write and call to tell him so all the time. His staff is very nice, at least, lol, when you have something nice to say.

by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2019 7:21 PM

I have read somewhere that an Impeachment investigation gives additional weight or power to a subpoena coming from Congress. Many Trump people from Barr to McGahn have been refusing to answer subpoenas to come before Congress. This could cause judges to accelerate opinions when these people are taken to court over those refusals.

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2019 7:41 PM

Don McGahn is the key, like John Dean he’s a lawyer who witnessed the obstruction and knew it was wrong. He could be a hero if he’s willing to fall on his sword.

by Anonymousreply 31July 27, 2019 8:52 PM

[quote] R20: It’s not the point, [R10]. NOTHING will pass the GOP Senate.

If the House makes the case, it might influence the Senate. Sides, the Republicans will still control the White House, and Trump isn’t going to drag downgrade e candidates to a win with him.

by Anonymousreply 32July 28, 2019 4:20 AM

I think impeachment could work. It will be dragged to 2020, trump and repig will be busy with this and not the election and the down ballot race. Plus, if senate wont convict, ppl will get frustrated ans motivated to vote trump out and retake senate.

by Anonymousreply 33July 28, 2019 5:08 AM

I think impeachment could work. It will be dragged to 2020, trump and repig will be busy with this and not the election and the down ballot race. Plus, if senate wont convict, ppl will get frustrated ans motivated to vote trump out and retake senate.

by Anonymousreply 34July 28, 2019 5:08 AM

R29. I’m sure you meant he’s your representative. He’s in the House, not the Senate.

As a procedural matter, any chairman of any committee can open an investigation on any issue they choose. It’s a prerogative of the position. But with Nadler’s Judiciary Committee inching closer - this becomes more evidence focused.

Nadler may be running ahead of the Speaker and think he’s going to get 218 votes to move a floor vote. This is more about timing which is for February - March so it lands right in the middle of the primaries and potentially hits the Senate right during the Republican Convention.

by Anonymousreply 35July 28, 2019 6:09 AM

Trump has lost his mind on twitter since the House announced further investigations based on the Mueller referral in his report now that they have heard his testimony.

by Anonymousreply 36July 28, 2019 11:19 AM

He is in a third day twitter storm.

He must need Pepto-Bismol: Nausea, heart burn, indigestion, upset stomach diarrhea.

He knows he is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 37July 28, 2019 5:05 PM

What would be the impeachment grounds?

Obstruction.

Abuse of power.

Perjury.

Conspiracy with a foreign power.

Campaign finance violations.

I really want them to file a charge of serial lying to the American People. There are many unambiguous examples. The WaPo count is over 10,000 examples, IIRC. Is there a better legal term for this? Maybe some kind of fraud?

by Anonymousreply 38July 28, 2019 5:35 PM

Politico:

On the attack: Trump targets Cummings for second straight day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 28, 2019 5:47 PM

Target the brown people works every time except when it doesn't. We know his tricks by now. Fuckface.

by Anonymousreply 40July 28, 2019 5:50 PM

NBC:

Schiff warns that Trump impeachment trial could end with acquittal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 28, 2019 6:00 PM

Schiff is strategic planning. It will never get to trial. Nixon was never impeached.

by Anonymousreply 42July 28, 2019 6:51 PM

Too often the Dem strategy is mistaken for weakness — Pelosi didn’t get where she was through weakness. Trust.

On principle of course I want impeachment — it will indeed be a stain on his fat ass, and no matter how much he attacks the Dems post-impeachment, the fact is, it happened!! He will be DAMAGED GOODS. It hurts his brand, especially with foreigners. So I think they should do it. However, I trust them as a party. Great leaders aren’t threatened by opposing viewpoints. Pelosi, Nadker, and Schiff all have gobs of moxy. The Dems are being open about various viewpoints in their oarty, BFD. Only the right cares.

by Anonymousreply 43July 28, 2019 9:03 PM

Why doesn’t anyone want to be the hero? History will celebrate them and it would have to be lucrative as well.

by Anonymousreply 44July 28, 2019 9:14 PM

R44, well I’m sure there are good people on both sides of that issue. You know it! I know it! And we all know it!

by Anonymousreply 45July 28, 2019 10:06 PM

R43, I think lots of people have been heroes. Just what more do you expect? I’m honestly curious.

by Anonymousreply 46July 28, 2019 10:33 PM

I want Coates, Mattis, and Tillerson to walk, together, into the Judiciary and Intelligence Committees and end this entire administration. Then, they can all, together, go on all the news shows for the next year. That might be the only thing that would budge the Repugs in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 47July 28, 2019 11:20 PM

Because Mueller. Never. DIES.

by Anonymousreply 48July 28, 2019 11:39 PM

Reality Winner needs to be released from prison!

by Anonymousreply 49July 29, 2019 1:55 AM

Good news. Opening the formal inquiry will strengthen supoena powers and compel people to testify, as well as enhance the fact-gathering process. It can only help damage Trump next year, letting this go into 2020. It doesn't matter if a final vote doesn't reach the Senate or they vote to acquit at the end. The damage will be done.

by Anonymousreply 50July 29, 2019 6:06 PM

I voted for Nadler in 1996 and 2000.

by Anonymousreply 51July 30, 2019 12:01 AM

Nevada Congresswoman and chair of the committee investigating the Trump Hotel DC and the emoluments clause violations, Dina Titus, flipped today and is now Pro Imp. Investigation.

by Anonymousreply 52July 30, 2019 1:34 AM

109 Democratic Congressional Reps are now advocating impeachment. There has to be a tipping point!

by Anonymousreply 53July 30, 2019 7:59 PM

Correction: 113 Democrats for Impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 54July 30, 2019 8:33 PM

Correction: 113 Democrats for Impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 55July 30, 2019 8:33 PM

117 now.

by Anonymousreply 56August 2, 2019 12:21 AM

They need to get on with it! No way Trump should get to say, “They didn’t even try to impeach me.” Make him sweat!

by Anonymousreply 57August 2, 2019 12:29 AM

This is yet another good reason to live, and continue to get up in the morning. (Unless you happen to be a depressed Republican)

by Anonymousreply 58August 2, 2019 6:35 AM

[quote]Nevada Congresswoman and chair of the committee investigating the Trump Hotel DC and the emoluments clause violations, Dina Titus, flipped today and is now Pro Imp. Investigation.

Even though she doesn't represent her home state, I'm proud that she's an anti-Trump Democrat from the Deep South.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 2, 2019 7:02 AM

Nadler and Trump go way back. This is a deathmatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 2, 2019 7:52 AM

Moscow Mitch!!

by Anonymousreply 61August 2, 2019 8:30 AM

Go Jerry! Die Trump!

by Anonymousreply 62August 2, 2019 12:57 PM

R46, I’m utterly confused by your question. I described several Dems as having “gobs of moxy.” That’s slang for “heroes.” They are all heroes.

by Anonymousreply 63August 2, 2019 8:24 PM

Now a majority of the Dems are publicly endorsing impeachment. It’s a matter of time. No way Trump should be allowed that the Dems didn’t at least try to impeach him. He would spin that as complete exoneration.

by Anonymousreply 64August 3, 2019 2:06 AM

What’s the count? 118 I hope?

by Anonymousreply 65August 3, 2019 2:45 AM

118 dems and 1 Independent.

by Anonymousreply 66August 3, 2019 4:20 AM

Nice!!’ Walter, we need an official counter. I hope you’ll consider the post, heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 67August 3, 2019 5:30 AM

They are wasting their time on this. The people already suspect the Mueller report (which wasn't written by Mueller) was so biased that most people don't trust the Dems. Even if they do impeach the Senate will end it and Trump will wear it as a badge of honor with this constituents. Get on with the business of the country and defeat him in 2020...

by Anonymousreply 68August 5, 2019 12:45 AM

Nice concern troll posting r68, but you don't know diddly squat about what will happen if the Democrats pursue impeachment.

But I can see it has you worried...

by Anonymousreply 69August 5, 2019 12:47 AM

r68....They can spin all they want...in the end, every single accusation made by Mueller IS BACKED UP BY EVIDENCE.

by Anonymousreply 70August 5, 2019 12:52 AM

And they have subpoenaed all that evidence.

by Anonymousreply 71August 5, 2019 1:12 AM

DJT should NOT get off scot free. PERIOD. Impeach now!

by Anonymousreply 72August 5, 2019 3:51 PM

Dumpass is not going to get off scott free. NDP wants to drag him through due process to confirm what a shitbag he is, then send him off to prison for the humiliation factor. If the Dems take the Presidency in 2020 we'll have high stakes entertainment for the next decade. I hope they do actually pass some good legislation in the meantime...and stack the Supremes in our favor.

by Anonymousreply 73August 7, 2019 9:35 AM

I haven't read all posts, but Dems better NOT let Dump ride into the sunset having only agreed to resign and Dems allowing him and his grifter family to escape any legal ramifications. Trumpa$$ will easily give up the Presidency in exchange for no follow up prosecutions. He and Jared need to have all money stripped and spend significant jail time. I have a gut feeling that the gutless Dems would jump at this offer to cover their own corrupt behinds.

People, do not let this happen!

by Anonymousreply 74August 9, 2019 8:33 AM

r74, New York state will not let this happen.

by Anonymousreply 75August 9, 2019 9:19 AM

Happy Trump Impeachment Days!

by Anonymousreply 76August 10, 2019 7:41 AM

ITA with you R74. Sadly we have not had a Dem with a spine since LBJ. I like Nadler. He's my Congressman, but he's no LBJ or FDR. There isn't one in the entire party or among those running.

I want to see Trump and his family and most of the Republicans led out in handcuffs in a perp walk and have them tried, found guilty of treason and executed, publicly executed and hear them all beg for mercy. I'll settle for a firing squad or hangings or being beheaded, no lethal injection.

by Anonymousreply 77August 11, 2019 1:10 AM

We cannot simply let the clock run out on this mockery of a presidency. It’s unjust and it’s too dangerous. We have to keep impeachment procedures alive. Congressmen and women should be barraged with demands for impeachment from their constituents while they are home on recess and again when they come back to Washington.

by Anonymousreply 78August 11, 2019 1:11 PM

LBJ was one of a kind, R77 -- you can't blame any of the current Democrats for not being like him.

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2019 12:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!