Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That Summer - The Grey Gardens Prequel

I saw this on the BBC. It's deeply weird and voyeuristic, as you might expect, with the bonus of Lee Radziwill's sinister lock-jaw whisper cooing throughout. Nevertheless, Lee does come off empathic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 4:58 PM

I love the Beales but this doc was, to put it mildly, slight. The actual entertaining bits were maybe 10 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2019 11:14 PM

This is now on Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 5:00 AM

Sullenly, Last Summer

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 5:13 AM

Was this footage taken after Grey Gardens?

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 5:19 AM

Little Edie is a genuine loony. It's hard to look away.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 5:19 AM

I watched this last week. I was confused by it at first because it was advertised as having to do with the Beales, but it opens with Peter Beard leafing through his photobook and reminiscing about Karen Blixen in Africa, Andy Warhol and Paul Morrissey in Montauk and at the Factory, etc. So I thought, okay, this is about Peter Beard and friends. But then, it suddenly shifts to the Beales at Grey Gardens with narration by Princess Lee, and spends the duration of the doc on these ladies. It was as if the filmmakers set out to do one thing, but ended up doing another thing entirely.

And yes, Lee does come off well, and it's a shame that the HBO film "Grey Gardens" inserted a fictional scene with Jackie, but neglected Lee entirely.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 5:36 AM

I was under the impression that Jackie DID intervene.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 4:15 PM

R7, My mistake. I just read that Jerry Torre, aka The Marble Faun, witnessed Jackie visiting Grey Gardens in 1974, and being horrified. She then had Ari cut a check for $25,000 to pay for the cleanup. So the scene in the film could have happened.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 4:55 PM

Lee was apparently much nicer when she was getting hot Peter Beard dick.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2020 9:50 PM

Edie was strange, but had a very direct way of expressing truth. I completely agree with her about dredging up the past.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 1:53 PM

I noticed Lee wears her watch on her right hand in that clip. Does that mean Lee was left-handed?

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 4:13 PM

Peter Beard at Lee's funeral, being assisted down the stairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 4:28 PM

Lee, as rotten as she was, was the catalyst for getting Grey Gardens made.

Jackie wrote a check but never visited.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 4:54 PM

Lee was far better looking than Jackie. How that must have rankled both.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 4:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!