Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Look homeward, Rhoda: Valerie Harper referred to hospice care

But her husband refused, saying he wants to keep her comfortable in familiar surroundings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2019 12:31 AM

Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 1July 24, 2019 1:04 AM

Terribly sad.

She's 79, but that's no comfort. I wanted Valerie and MTM to live and work to Betty White's age.

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2019 1:06 AM

Is it true that Valerie and Julie Kavner didn't get along?

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2019 1:07 AM

[quote]"There are two special ANGELS on this planet masquerading as humans who live and work together, that have made it possible to have all of Val's needs taken care of," Tony wrote on Tuesday.

I wonder if it's Ed Asner and one of Valerie's other co-stars who are quietly picking up her medical tab.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2019 1:08 AM

I expect candlelit vigils with a capella versions of the Rhoda theme song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2019 1:12 AM

Keeping the dying person comfortable in familiar surroundings is the top goal of hospice care, so OP's summary doesn't make sense. If you're turning down the hospice referral, it's because you want to continue treatment (other than palliative).

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2019 1:18 AM

There is in-patient hospice and there is home hospice. It sounds as if the husband has chosen to receive the hospice services at home.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2019 1:20 AM

But hospice care does alone one to die quietly, with dignity, in one's home, as appropriate. But I'll shut up. It's between her and her husband. I'm very, very grateful for the hospice nurses who looked after my Dad.

Back to the main topic, Valerie, who brought us so much joy: you knew how to turn a line into gold. I wanted you as my best friend. I'm sorry for your husband and friends that you loved, but please know that are many, many people who you've never met you who love you, too, even if from a great distance.

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2019 1:20 AM

We won't always have Valerie, but we will always have Li'l Abner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2019 1:22 AM

I hope she's comfortable as can be, aware of her surroundings, and there are loved ones by her side.

Growing up gay wasn't easy in the '70s and '80s, and I got so much comfort from television- Mary and Rhoda, Lucy, Samantha, Jeannie, Andy of Mayberry, Gomer Pyle, Gidget, the Bradys, and all the rest. Delving into the dream world of Screen Gems, Desilu, MTM Productions, and Norman Lear was always a great escape, and I'm reminded of how much it all meant to me when we lose one of the people who helped make it happen.

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2019 1:26 AM

Valerie's husband says he was told to "put" her in hospice — indicating an inpatient facility — but he wants to keep her at home, "making Val as comfortable as possible."

It could just be his way of letting people know the illness has progressed and this is it. My impression was that most hospice/palliative care was done at home these days (assuming the dying have partners/family).

[quote]I have been told by doctors to put Val in Hospice care and I can’t [because of our 40 years of shared commitment to each other] and I won’t because of the amazing good deeds she has graced us with while she’s been here on earth. We will continue going forward as long as the powers above allow us, I will do my very best in making Val as comfortable as possible.

[quote]There are two special ANGELS on this planet masquerading as humans who live and work together, that have made it possible to have all of Val’s needs taken care of. For those of you who have been in this position, you will totally understand that “it’s hard letting go.” So as long as I’m able and capable, I’ll be where I belong right beside her. Many, many thanks for your outpouring of kindness and support.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2019 1:26 AM

She is due to turn 80 on August 22nd, I hope she makes it.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2019 1:29 AM

Why are other people having to pick up her medical costs? She 79 so doesn't she have Medicare? Doesn't SAG or some other TV/movie industry group provide insurance to their members? She has to have made millions of dollars over the length of her career. Where did all her money go?

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 1:41 AM

Part of his reasoning for not pursuing hospice is because of “the amazing good deeds she graced us with.” Indeed, I love Valerie who has brought so much joy to the world. But I worry he has the wrong idea about hospice, that it is akin to some sort of punishment that should not be brought upon good people. I hope he realizes that hospice services can maximize comfort and dignity at the end-of-life, and can be a great resource for both her and her family at home even while he remains the primary caregiver. It’s a choice for him and Valerie, but it is out there in public And found his reasoning puzzling. But I wish the best for Valerie at this stage!!

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2019 1:42 AM

R13 From what I've read she and her husband have maxed out their health insurance and used up almost all their money caring for her during the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2019 1:46 AM

And no one in Hollywood could pay for what they need?

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2019 2:10 AM

She's been dying longer than her career was alive.

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2019 2:15 AM

We discussed hospice care for my Dad with one of our local hospitals. We were told it could either be in a hospice facility which was associated with the hospital, or at the home with the doctors and nurses visiting at the house.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2019 2:18 AM

That was a nice post, R10.

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2019 2:24 AM

I wonder if she's even lucid at this point.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2019 2:24 AM

I guess it's any day now. We are already so sad in our shitty country.

I know it sounds silly, but so many have enjoyed Valerie's unique and relatable talents.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2019 2:29 AM

God r13, you must be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2019 2:37 AM

It could be that the doctors wanted her at an inpatient hospice because of the extent and complexity of her cancer, so she could be monitored and medicated at all times.

Brain cancer is an excruciating way to die.

I hope they do have in-home hospice care and are fully stocked on morphine — nothing else assuages terminal cancer pain as effectively.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2019 5:34 AM

etc.

by Anonymousreply 24July 24, 2019 5:46 AM

[quote] God [R13], you must be a Republican.

Hardly, just a rational person who knows when there is more to a story than is being told.

by Anonymousreply 25July 24, 2019 12:02 PM

[quote]Brain cancer is an excruciating way to die.

Something most Trump voters need never worry about.

by Anonymousreply 26July 24, 2019 3:57 PM

When the family clears out the clothes, I hope they sell them back to Shot Down Over Ecuador, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 27July 24, 2019 11:53 PM

R19 Thank you. These people mean alot to me.

by Anonymousreply 28July 25, 2019 12:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!