Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Matt Damon & Ben Affleck Will Star in a New Movie Together, Which They Also Co-Wrote

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck will be reuniting on the big screen for the first time in decades!

The longtime best friends are co-writing the screenplay for the upcoming movie The Last Duel with Can You Ever Forgive Me? screenwriter Nicole Holofcener.

Matt and Ben are also starring in the revenge story of two best friends, which will be directed by Ridley Scott. The movie will be an adaptation of Eric Jager‘s book “The Last Duel: A True Story of Trial by Combat in Medieval France.”

Here is how Deadline describes the plot: “The main characters are the Norman knight Jean de Carrouges and the squire Jacques Le Gris. They were friends. One goes to war and returns to accuse Le Gris of raping his wife Margerite de Carrouges. No one will believe the woman, and the soldier appeals to the king of France to undo a decision handed down by Count Pierre d’Anencon, which favored Le Gris. The decision handed down is that the two men fight a duel to the death. The one left alive would be declared the winner as a sign of God’s will. And if Jean de Carrouges loses, his wife will be burned at the stake for punishment for her false accusation.”

The news was revealed after Matt was spotted leaving Ben‘s house holding a script and a copy of the book.

Matt and Ben won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay in 1998 for their movie Good Will Hunting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2019 12:03 AM

Just what the world was waiting for!

by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2019 6:43 AM

Which one is the squire?

Or is it like real life and they're both "the squire?"

Is this the story of how they invented double headed dildo in the middle ages? Because I'm pretty sure it was invented in India in 3000 B.C.

I read that in The National Geographic.

by Anonymousreply 2July 23, 2019 7:08 AM

[quote] Which one is the squire?

Matt looks more like the stumpy and dumpy submissive Sancho Panza type, self-deprecating and humorous, while indulging his knight to a point but serving a bit of truth and wisdom the knight can handle and absorb. So I’ll say Matt is the knight. Ben is more the self-deluded Quixotic type who both indulges and fights addictions and obsessions of his own making. So he’s the knight.

by Anonymousreply 3July 23, 2019 7:50 AM

Terrible idea, if they're acting in it as well as writing. I don't think either of them have the range to play historical characters, they'd look absolutely fucking ridiculous as Medieval Frenchmen.

If an English-language version of this story is ever made, it should star proper theater-trained Brit actors who know their way around a Shakespear play.

by Anonymousreply 4July 23, 2019 8:08 AM

Matt has credibly played some historical and semi-historical characters. Ben’s such performances were ludicrous. He’s not a true actor.

by Anonymousreply 5July 23, 2019 8:12 AM

I'm looking forward to the Jay & Silent Bob movie more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 23, 2019 9:36 AM

They had bit parts in one of the Jay and Silent Bob movies.

by Anonymousreply 7July 23, 2019 3:29 PM

Medieval knights were not 50 years old.

by Anonymousreply 8July 23, 2019 4:39 PM

"They had bit parts in one of the Jay and Silent Bob movies. "

They played a couple of angels booted out of heaven in "Dogma", good-sized roles and not bits. I really liked that movie.

by Anonymousreply 9July 23, 2019 10:09 PM

As long as Ben will able to go to church with me on Sunday I think this is a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 10July 23, 2019 10:12 PM

As long as Ben will able to go to church with me on Sunday I think this is a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 11July 23, 2019 10:12 PM

R10 whatever you need to tell yourself, Jen.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2019 2:06 AM

They should do a remake of Chuck and Buck.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2019 2:08 AM

[quote] They played a couple of angels booted out of heaven in "Dogma", good-sized roles and not bits. I really liked that movie.

But Dogma wasn’t primarily a Jay and Silent Bob film. Jay and Silent Bob had good-sized roles in Dogma too but it wasn’t a film about them. Ben and Matt has less substantial roles than them.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2019 2:33 AM

R6, Thrilled that truly funny series with a strong undercurrent of truth is being rebooted. Been a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2019 1:54 PM

Unless it features real life bareback fucking between them both I'm not interested.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2019 1:56 PM

Will there be Damon butt?

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2019 1:59 PM

R17 asking the pertinent question.

by Anonymousreply 18July 24, 2019 2:17 PM

Kind of tone deaf plot for these times, no?

by Anonymousreply 19July 24, 2019 4:10 PM

Affleck and Damon as two Medieval French nights is absolutely ridiculous. They wouldn't even be remotely believable.

by Anonymousreply 20July 24, 2019 4:40 PM

Inspired casting! -- said absolutely no one, anywhere

WBDC should hire them to write and star as Booster Gold and OG Blue Beetle, instead. Blue Beetle during his fat period! It would be a perfect role for them both.

by Anonymousreply 21July 24, 2019 4:45 PM

Affleck is one of those actors who you can't believe as a character in a role because his personal life has overshadowed everything, like Pitt and Jolie. You're always watching "Ben Affleck" because you can't see him as anyone else. The smart actors keep their personal lives as private as possible so the audience can still buy them as a character.

by Anonymousreply 22July 24, 2019 4:54 PM

[quote] The smart actors keep their personal lives as private as possible so the audience can still buy them as a character.

Or marry a non-description rabbit-faced wife.

by Anonymousreply 23July 24, 2019 5:08 PM

Ben Affleck & Matt Damon Step Out After Announcing New Movie!

Ben Affleck flashes a smirk as he steps out for lunch at The Tavern on Tuesday afternoon (July 23) in Brentwood, Calif.

The 46-year-old actor looked cool in a white, buttoned-down shirt and blue trousers for his outing after having a meeting at his house with Matt Damon.

The day before, it was announced that Ben and Matt are currently working on a new movie together, titled The Last Duel.

The longtime friends will be co-writing the screenplay with Can You Ever Forgive Me? screenwriter Nicole Holofcener. Ben and Matt will be also be starring in the film.

Get the full scoop on Ben Affleck and Matt Damon‘s new movie here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 25, 2019 4:07 AM

[quote] Or marry a non-description rabbit-faced wife.

I meant “non-descript, rabbit-faced wife.”

by Anonymousreply 25July 25, 2019 4:11 AM

[quote]Killing Eve's Jodie Comer is in talks to star in the feudal drama THE LAST DUEL opposite Matt Damon & Ben Affleck as a wife who gets raped by her husband's best friend, just in case you wondered what happens after an actress wins an Emmy for an iconic role

😬

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 26, 2019 8:33 PM

r23/25, rabbit-faced is pretty descript.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2019 8:45 PM

Ben Affleck cannot act.

Repeat.

Ben Affleck cannot act.

Every time he appeared on screen in "Argo", he drained all the energy off the screen.

The rest of the cast was great.

And then there was Ben.

Ben Affleck cannot act.

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2019 8:49 PM

Better if they'd set it in contemporary times. Ben and Matt would be more believable. The medieval setting is pointless. Sure, you need to come up with some reason why they'd agree to a duel. But that shouldn't be difficult.

And yes, I look forward to the new Jay and Silent Bob reboot. Why didn't Mewes become a bigger star?

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2019 8:59 PM

Matt and Ben doing period roles. And French, no less!

by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2019 9:00 PM

Sounds boring, but it will be funny to see Damon and Affleck try to pull of a period piece. You can take the New Englanders out of the trash but you can’t take the trash out of the New Englanders.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote]So I’ll say Matt is the knight. Ben is more the self-deluded Quixotic type who both indulges and fights addictions and obsessions of his own making. So he’s the knight.

Well, which one is it, r3? You’ve got them both playing the Knight!

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2019 9:25 PM

So the wife accuses Le Gris of raping her?

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2019 9:26 PM

r31 Ben and Matt are both from educated UMC families, they're not Southie trash like Wahlberg.

by Anonymousreply 34September 27, 2019 12:24 AM

Dumb Will Hunting

by Anonymousreply 35September 27, 2019 12:29 AM

I just can’t see it as anything but Monty Pythonesque in my mind. Not that that’s a problem, might work as a comedy.

by Anonymousreply 36September 27, 2019 2:48 AM

Triple the catering budget.

by Anonymousreply 37September 27, 2019 3:28 AM

^ Hopefully, the catering will include booze

by Anonymousreply 38September 27, 2019 1:36 PM

Adam Driver in Talks to Star Opposite Matt Damon in 'The Last Duel' as Ben Affleck Takes Supporting Role

Adam Driver is in early talks to star opposite Matt Damon in The Last Duel.

Sources have shared with Variety that the 35-year-old actor might be replacing Ben Affleck in the leading role in the upcoming Ridley Scott directed movie. Ben is now taking a supporting role in the movie.

Back in July, it was announced that Matt and Ben were teaming up again to co-write the script for The Last Duel with Can You Ever Forgive Me? screenwriter Nicole Holofcener.

Here’s the synopsis: “Set in 14th century France, the movie is an epic tale of betrayal and justice, told from three distinct points of view: two knights (Matt and Adam) whose bond is tested by treachery and a young woman (Jodie Comer) forced to navigate the brutal and oppressive culture of the era in order to survive.”

Disney and Fox have not yet greenlit the film and are still deciding how to proceed. If it does get the go-ahead, The Last Duel should begin production in early 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 27, 2019 3:24 PM

This is a security measure, r39, in case Ben doesn't want to/can't lose the bloat.

by Anonymousreply 40October 30, 2019 11:15 PM

I seriously thought OP had some up with a brilliant parody post.

They seriously are going to play a middle ages French knight and his squire?! Middle-aged yes, middle-ages no.

by Anonymousreply 41October 30, 2019 11:21 PM

Nous Achete un Zoo!

by Anonymousreply 42October 31, 2019 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!