Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump is exposing the racist core of its history, culture and society for all to see.

Trump has hit the fast-forward button on the tribalization of American body politic.

For many of his supporters, this he is saying the things they always wanted a leader to say, this is something this admire him for, no condemn him.

The country is at a crossroads.

"Republicans and Independents, evangelicals, and many others who might have voted for Trump in 2016 will eventually have to ask themselves whether it is possible to go on believing that he is a man of sufficient character to hold the Presidency. They will have to ask themselves what it means to overlook his racism and what this says about them. How can they believe it is possible to support a racist and escape that in themselves? Or will they pronounce themselves, as the Treasury Secretary, Steven Mnuchin, did, “not concerned”?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 1:24 AM

And yet The New Yorker remained silent about the Gang of Cunts and their bigotry. Talk about blatant shameful agenda.

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 11:38 AM

There's nothing that's fundamentally different from the Nazi party techniques and what Trump is doing.

That's not a broadside against Trump. It's historical accuracy in the use of propaganda.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 11:42 AM

Hey R1 - you wouldn't be stupidly and ignorantly comparing the importances 4 freshmen House members (out of 435) to the President of the United States and the "Leader of the Free World" would you?

Just checking.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 11:43 AM

And yet whatabout AOC? Whatabout Omar? Whatabout Dems? Whatabout this? Whatabout that? Whatabout shitting in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 11:47 AM

Hey R3 - you wouldn't be stupidly, ignorantly and selectively excusing bigotry would you? A bunch of cunts running their ugly mouths is not so bad in the scheme of things? Like that?

R4 And what about elected officials spewing bigotry? What about THAT?

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 11:49 AM

What exactly are the "bunch of cunts" doing that upsets you so, R5? Calling out the white majority as racist, homophobic and xenophobic? Pointing out the irony of a nation of immigrants (who stole and robbed the land from the native peoples) telling other immigrants to go back where they came from?

No, R5, i think you're the cunt here, the cuntiest cunt to have ever cunted.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 11:53 AM

Another freaking article from New Yorker that is SHOCKED, ever so SHOCKED that many Americans are horrible people with terrible values. We get these same kind of articles every time there's a school massacre.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 11:54 AM

Whatabout my Russian talking points? Whatabout my whataboutism? Whatabout I'm a stinky Russian whore?

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2019 11:54 AM

R6 A "progressive" DEPLORABLE proudly supporting bigotry.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2019 11:57 AM

R5 Is that the technically correct usage? Aren't they really the cuntiest cunt who have every queefed?

Otherwise, quite well done. Full marks.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2019 12:02 PM

R9: one of the charter members of Tricky Dick Nixon's "silent majority."

Don't you people ever get tired of being "persecuted?" In this case, persecution meaning being whipped into a frenzy by your own stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2019 12:04 PM

The Democrats are gearing up to lose the next election, I see.

Prediction: We’re going to get sixteen months of people in the media calling every single independent and moderate a racist, and then after the loss there will be a slew of articles about how strange it is that so few moderates and independents voted for the Democratic candidate.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 12:28 PM

You're a Nazi, R12.

Just kidding, But I'm guessing your philosophical/racial beliefs are much closer to Nazism than "independent and moderate" so I don't understand your fake concern for independents and moderates.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 12:44 PM

Thanks for proving my point!

(I’m a lifelong Democrat, by the way. Old enough to remember when the Democrats actually cared about economic issues for the working man instead of engaging in economic neoliberalism and tribal/identity politics.)

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 12:58 PM

"Old enough to remember when the Democrats actually cared about economic issues for the working man."

Democrats are quite concerned about economic issues. But unlike you, R14, Democrats are concerned economic issues for everybody, and not just sad, old white people in industrial back waters like Youngstown, Ohio, Johnstown, PA and Wheeling, WV.

If you want Democratic politicians to pander to you and promise you you can sit on your ass and collect welfare until coal mining or steel mills reopen, and refuse any job training to equip you for the 21st century, you need to vote for Trump. He and the Republicans won't help you, but at least he'll make you feel better about your miserable self.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 1:08 PM

[quote] The Democrats are gearing up to lose the next election, I see. Prediction: We’re going to get sixteen months of people in the media calling every single independent and moderate a racist, and then after the loss there will be a slew of articles about how strange it is that so few moderates and independents voted for the Democratic candidate.

Which one is Trump, an Independent or a moderate or are you arguing that all Independents and moderates are racists.

The media is going to do whatever makes money. In 2016 that meant legitimizing Trump.

Your argument is nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 1:09 PM

A couple of thoughts:

Trump accused Omar of tweeting "evil Jews." This is something she never did. She did tweet in 2012 re the deadly conflict in Gaza something about "the evil doings of Israel." She has since taken that tweet down and in February apologized and said she is learning by listening to her Jewish colleagues about anti-Semitic tropes.

Anyway, there's a difference between disagreeing with a politician's policies as opposed to telling someone to go back where they came from, or saying that people you disagree with "hate America," or saying that criticizing the country is the same as tearing it down. What nonsense! I hear echoes of George Wallace in that. In that regard, there's an irony of equating criticism about a Presidential administration with anti-Americanism, considering that during the Obama years, Trump said politicians are stupid, called Obama the most ignorant president in history, and repeatedly insisted he wasn't born in the country.

And here's another irony: Trump saying AOC called America "garbage." In March she specifically said this about America: "We've strayed away for so long from what really made us powerful and just and good and productive. I think all of these things sound radical compared to where we are, but where we are is not a good thing. And this idea of10% better from garbage shouldn't be what we settle for." Compare that with this Trump tweet from 10/21/14: "The U.S., under President Obama, has truly become 'the gang that couldn't shoot straight.' Everything he touches turns to garbage."

I also wonder how much is this uproar is partly to distract from the Jeffrey Epstein news as well as from Robert Mueller's upcoming testimony.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 1:29 PM

With all of the real, urgent problems in the world today, it's impossible for me to take the guys who say "liberals calling people racist is a huge problem that's hurting the entire world and they deserve to be eliminated as a political party because of it" guy seriously.

Anyone who thinks about it for even a second knows that someone complaining about hypothetical calls of racism in the future is worried about themselves and nothing else. It's classic internalization.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 1:33 PM

I can’t stand all the fighting day after day after day after day.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 1:36 PM

[quote]"Republicans and Independents, evangelicals, and many others who might have voted for Trump in 2016 will eventually have to ask themselves whether it is possible to go on believing that he is a man of sufficient character to hold the Presidency."

This presupposes that these voters themselves have sufficient character to care whether Trump is sullying the office and the country he leads. I think it's pretty clear that the vast majority of them don't.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 1:37 PM

R17, that was really well put. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 2:30 PM

R15 I have an Ivy League PhD and a successful career, I’m doing just fine thanks. But my family of origin was working class and I remember and respect where I came from

Question: Could you please explain to me how the Democratic Paty’s support for illegal immigration helps working-class black men?

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 6:31 PM

R22 It doesn't. It just ensures that all racial identities will eventually be pitted against eachother when all the economic opportunity dries up due to ever escalating debt and shrinking resources. Of course, in successive generations, those children of illegal immigrants will be referred to as white.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 6:51 PM

Most third or fourth generation Latino immigrants don't identify with their latino heritage. They are also more likely to marry outside their race. If most American citizens and recent immigrants can reject identity politics, then why can't the politicians? It's because it helps their political careers.

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 6:55 PM

I read once that neither side wants to really solve the immigrant problem, because both use it to fundraise. It’s sickening to think of.

It will never be “solved”, of course. Only reduced in seriousness, like most things, actually.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 7:14 PM

It would be super lovely to read one, just one, article decrying the insane radicalization of the Republicans. The writer could clutch his pearls (pearl-clutch?) about how the Republicans are determined to lose because they're alienating moderates with their racism, their devotion to plutocracy, their mania about abortion, their servile devotion to tax cuts for the rich and their hunger to slash Medicare.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 7:44 PM

R22 - your Ivy League education sure didn't make you intelligent. Don't say what school you went to because Iw wouldn't recommend it if you're the type of asswipe they produce.

If you were so intelligent, you would be more informed and wouldn't spew out faulty information. The Dems don't SUPPORT illegal immigration. They just DON'T support separating families and putting children in cages.

You should come out of your Fox News bubble and see what's REALLY going on in the world. You spew out faulty and stupid Republican talking points quite well. This is another that comes directly from your DEAR LEADER's mouth: how does illegal immigration help working class black men? Ugh??? Nice try but people with REAL INTELLIGENCE can see right through your game.

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2019 8:01 PM

R26 You're kidding right? There are already thousands of articles like that that come out every day. And the issue of abortion is not something you can argue with logic.

by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 8:01 PM

R27 The real solution is to fix our asylum laws and deport more immigrants (like with Obama) but nobody wants to say it, hence the problem of overcrowding and people risking their lives by sneaking in in between our ports are only going to get worse.

by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 8:03 PM

R29, Trump reduced aid to Central America. As is his MO, he created/worsened the problem for political reasons, so that he can fix it later. Using people’s suffering for his own reasons. Just monstrous.

R29, no, people do want to say this! They just aren’t being heard.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2019 8:12 PM

Trump and Fox gave my sister and bro in law the permission (there must be a better word) to let out their inner racist. Fox is very good at it. Fox never actually says the racial slurs, but if you watch long enough, it seems like they have. Same with Trump. Oh, another bro, too. He’s Deplorable, too.

I don’t see them anymore, because they constantly bring this crap up, but I miss my pre-Trump sister. Maybe after Trump is gone.

I think it’s normal to be tribal like that, but that it’s something we are challenged to struggle with and overcome.

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2019 8:31 PM

Yes, because the Republicans recognized and appreciated Obama's hard stance on border security and refrained from insane barrages of lies about it.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2019 9:42 PM

So many of the comments in this thread make no sense or have mangled spelling and syntax. Who is doing this?

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 12:39 AM

R22 Than Ivy League Ph.D holder - please explain how immigration status, which has under the present legal code the same status as a moving vehicle violation become such an obsession for the right?

Do you see the Republicans marching en masse to reduce traffic fatalities? No. Are they up in arms about illegal right turns on red when the intersection isn’t clear? No. These are also moving violations.

How about vehicle safety standards? How many shitbox on wheels are still permitted to operate in the US? Any concern over that? No, I really don’t think there are. So let’s call this for what it is: selective enforcement against people Republicans Don’t Like.

Because it’s no longer FASHIONABLE to harass Blacks or Jews. So Repubicans have to start crap with Latinos and Muslims instead of solving real problems that solve real lives. Republicans invent a problem, create a mythical solution - and then demand credit for having solved a problem that didn’t exist in the first place.

For the sake of shutting up your nonsense, 12 people per 100,000 die in the US *every day* due to auto accident fatalities. Murders due to illegal aliens? It’s a flat line. Meaning, the presence of undocumenteds has no measurable effect on violent crime.

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 1:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!