Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dental phobia

Anyone have it as badly as I do? About ten years ago I finally found a dentist who does oral sedation and I was doing well for awhile, going regularly. However since I retired I have no dental insurance and haven't been for about 4 years now. Have not had any problems until the past week or so when I developed a little sensitivity in a back corner - it comes and goes, some days doesn't bother me at all. But I am just fucking TERRIFIED to make an appointment and go. Rooted in childhood experiences too gruesome to describe. Looking for encouragement and support and not snarky comments PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2019 7:48 AM

Most Medicare Advantage programs have a dental insurance component for around a $1 a day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 2:35 AM

I think I have just used the insurance as an excuse. I have the money to pay any of the costs. It's just this horrific fear and anxiety that is keeping me from making the appointment. It's crazy, I know, but I can't seem to overcome it.

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 2:44 AM

Then let your teeth rot out of your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 2:47 AM

We had a great thread about a year or so ago on this topic. If I find it, I’ll post a link

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 2:51 AM

Why not go to a sedation dentist that gives nitrous oxcide? That's good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 2:52 AM

Is dental sedation a thing anywhere other than the United States? We are a nation of pussies.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 2:53 AM

I had two cavities drilled two weeks ago and I had to take a half milligram of Xanax and it really helped. So no shame in needing some help, OP. Go visit your dentist for a consultation and let her or him know your issue.

And the root of the fear is a control issue. I've had to work a lot on surrendering to others, let them do their jobs, they're professionals. Dentist and airline pilots are the toughest for me. Those are my fears.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 2:55 AM

I spent many thousands on dentists and my teeth rotted away anyway. Sometimes it's just the way of the world.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2019 2:58 AM

Actually, I used to be like that and found that the best way to deal with it is to go regularly for check ups and cleaning. On the one hand, it becomes basically a routine thing and you have peace of mind that even if something has happened since your last checkup, it hasn't progressed to the point that would require anything too serious. But, the most important thing is to find a really good dentist who's taking new patients. My first dentist was excellent in terms of expertise but would always start with the worst case scenario when telling me about what needs to be done. My second dentist is just as good, but her "bed manner" is excellent: whatever needs to be done, she always starts with "the good news is..." which automatically makes you less tense.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2019 2:58 AM

Oops, "bedside manner"^^

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2019 2:59 AM

Suck it up.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2019 3:02 AM

I have a Valium prescription; I'm going to have to take a 5 mg just to make the call. I keep trying to repeat "face your fear" like a mantra, hoping that and a shit load of deep breathing will help.

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 3:19 AM

MARY !

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 4:02 AM

I know how you feel OP. I have money and I need to go I found a great dentist he sedates me I just can’t stand his staff. He did a great job on me a couple years ago and I need to go back to him he is wonderful. I hate the set ups in dentist offices you don’t have any privacy and everybody hears your business in the waiting room no privacy I can’t stand that.

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 4:50 AM

I think the comment about going back frequently for cleanings is a good idea. Technology as improved so much that there really is very little pain. The anxiety is far worse than any procedure.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 4:54 AM

Don't go to a dental chain. They'll try to tell you that you need work that is not medically necessary so they can meet commission. Look for local only.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 5:00 AM

I've recently moved from West Coast to Midwest. Dental practices are so different. I recently lost a crown and didn't have a dentist. I called one I found on Yelp and he saw me next day. Glued the crown back in and it cost $75. Same situation would have cost several hundred in LA. I went back to dentist a month later for cleaning. I told them I didn't have insurance and they said, they would only do two x-rays as that was all that was really needed. In LA, dentists insist on a Deep Cleaning and full set of x-rays before dentist will even look at you. This can often run $2k without insurance. I did find a dentist willing to fore go the Deep Clean in LA but was still about $1k for first visit. Deep Cleanings and X-rays are scams.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 5:06 AM

Take music/headphones with you and listen to something either interesting (such as a podcast or a book) or soothing, while you're getting the work done. It will help distract you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 5:12 AM

Shake it off, wimp!

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 5:24 AM

I have dental and periodontal issues. Ask for liquid lidocaine (local anesthesia). It really helps. You could also get Novocaine shots, but that's a needle and it takes longer to wear off.

Don't wait too long. You only get one set of adult teeth. Do you really want to have false teeth?

I wonder if you could go to a pediatric dentist. Maybe they have better bedside manner.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 5:24 AM

[quote]However since I retired I have no dental insurance and haven't been for about 4 years now.

America is such a shithole.

by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 5:30 AM

I called and made the appointment for next Monday. I told them I was an out of pocket patient and was told: $95 for a full X ray panel, $40 for consult/exam with the dentist, and then we'll go from there based on what treatment may or may not be needed.

So I have a week to prepare myself mentally. I actually feel a little better having made the call, and I know enough to know that X rays and the exam won't hurt, so I feel like I am easing into this process one step at a time, which is helpful.

I want to free myself from this fear, which I know is irrational and very deep seated, but it's not an easy thing.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 4:00 PM

Good luck, OP. You'll be fine I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 4:06 PM

[quote]However since I retired I have no dental insurance and haven't been for about 4 years now.

The US of America is the greatest country in the world where they try everything to deprive you of your health insurance.

MAGA!

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 4:11 PM

OP, I'm with you hard core. Good for you for making the appointment, and be sure to TELL THEM that you have anxiety! They will understand--they see this all the time. You're gonna do great! And definitely take your Valium.

by Anonymousreply 25July 23, 2019 2:08 AM

try sensodyne. it sounds like you have a normal amount of gum sensitivity....very little the dentist can do about it.....

by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 2:21 AM

I've been experiencing more sensitivity lately, too, and I'm pretty sure it's just because I eat more fruit in the summer and the acidity triggers it.

FWIW, I have a similar background with a rotten dentist in my childhood who drilled without Novocaine and left me with a dental phobia and avoidance issues as well. Things are different now, though, and I agree with the person above who said it's much better if you tell them about you issues, they really will work with you on that. Dentistry is so much better now in terms of both technology and increased emphasis on patient comfort. The kind of crap you and I put up with would never fly today.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 3:40 AM

You should call around and find a dentist who understands your needs.

You can be able to tell their approaches by talking to them and their staff.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 4:34 AM

You should call around and find a dentist who understands your needs.

You can be able to tell their approaches by talking to them and their staff.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 4:34 AM

[quote]childhood experiences too gruesome to describe.

Hah! Spill it!

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 5:19 AM

OP, I’m in the same boat. I’m actually ashamed of myself for how terrified I am of dentists. Yes, I’ve even written about it on other threads here. And I’m really embarrassed to say that I’m still avoiding dealing with taking care of my teeth. I’m hoping by actually putting this in words that somehow I’ll summon the strength I need to take action and not just keep feeling bad about the whole situation, but my fear practically paralyzes me.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 5:46 AM

I currently go to a female dentist and I think that has been a big plus in helping me to overcome my fears. She has a very gentle, reassuring and easy going demeanor, totally nonthreatening. I also found that bringing someone with me helped immensely. Kind of like an emotional support animal, in human form!

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 6:26 AM

Use Japanese teeth cement to seal it if there's just a crack in your tooth. And take Amoxiclav and Metrodinazole and Ibuprofen for the pain and the rot.

And like R32 said, 30-40-year-old female dentists are better.

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 6:39 AM

Is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 8:04 AM

I have it, too, despite years of having braces and various other procedures. The way I cope is to take a tranquilizer the night before (or an ambien), and one or two the day of the procedure. The most grueling thing I had was micro-surgery for a resorbed tooth. It took about two hours and without the valium I couldn't have done it. My periodontist writes the prescription, usually only for two pills, but they're lifesavers. Lately I've been taking a teddy bear to appts., and they told me this is not uncommon with patients! Better than an emotional support rooster I suppose, or whatever is the support animal du jour. Wishing you luck.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 8:21 AM

Is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 8:24 AM

I hear you, OP. My problem is feeling like I'm choking whenever I need a filling or similar, especially on a back tooth. I finally got the dentist to agree to have an assistant hold back those awful cotton wads.

I also cannot abide the relatively recent practice of having the patient flat horizontal. Uh-uh, no, nyet. Raise the chair back, Doc.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 8:35 AM

Is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 8:42 AM

Is it safe?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 8:45 AM

FFS OP, best to get ahead of the problem and be done with it. Wouldn't you rather get a filling now, than a root canal later? You must listen to pain. Wishing you all the best.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 8:49 AM

I have called and made the appointment for Monday. Oddly enough, I have not had any pain or sensitivity for two days now. I am still going to keep the appointment so I can get X rays done and see if anything is going on. This is an office that specializes in extremely phobic patients. I received oral sedation (I think it was Halcion) when I treated with them before - at that time I had not been to a dentist for nearly 25 years, and the only thing I needed done was to have a broken tip from a failed root canal extracted. I was certain that the oral sedation wouldn't work on me (and actually it turned out they had to give me two pills instead of one) but amazingly it did and I barely remember the procedure or the drive home.

I will NEVER have another root canal EVER. I had two, and BOTH of them failed, with the tooth breaking off at the gum line. I really don't think I'm going to need one now, however, if that came up I would have him extract it first.

I should probably mention that the dentist is a dead ringer for a young Cary Grant. My resolve is still strong, and I have little post its all over the house reading I CAN DO THIS.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 5:14 PM

OP, Glad you no longer believe in root canals. Sad you had to find out this way, but better to have extraction and an implant. Keeping a dead tooth in one's head is not good for one's health holistically. Hope you get Halcyon again, it is great stuff... Restoril is great too BTW. Yes, you can do this, and don't forget to remind yourself that you have done it before.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2019 5:31 PM

"Looking for encouragement and support and not snarky comments"

Boy did YOU come to the right place.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2019 5:31 PM

So I'm doing pretty okay. X rays showed a cavity hidden between teeth on the upper left side, and a few small surface cavities on the upper right. However there are small cracks that have formed around the silver fillings in my lower molars - these are decades old - and they tell me these need to be replaced ad filled with "composite.."

I go back on August 12 and am going to try to get the work done without the oral sedation. So far so good. I hope.

by Anonymousreply 44August 3, 2019 1:01 AM

Thanks for the update r44 and glad it was ok

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2019 1:05 AM

Fear of anything you know you need to do grows by orders of magnitude the longer you put it off.

by Anonymousreply 46August 3, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote]Why not go to a sedation dentist that gives nitrous oxide?

I had a series of nitrous-assisted dental appointments within a two-week period. During those visits, I believed that I was IN LOVE with my dentist. Once the gas wore off, I’d wonder what the fuck I had been thinking. But then the next visit I’d gaze up at him, imagining our wedding day.

by Anonymousreply 47August 3, 2019 1:12 AM

[quote]So I'm doing pretty okay. X rays showed a cavity hidden between teeth on the upper left side, and a few small surface cavities on the upper right. However there are small cracks that have formed around the silver fillings in my lower molars - these are decades old - and they tell me these need to be replaced ad filled with "composite.."

All that sounds completely normal. You will notice a definite improvement with composite fillings, though. Because they are not metal, you won't have as much sensitivity to hot and cold.

by Anonymousreply 48August 3, 2019 1:13 AM

Thanks for the update, OP. We're rooting for you! You can do this!

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2019 7:51 PM

“I finally found a dentist who does oral sedation”

Once the blowjob was over, did he tell you to “Spit”?

by Anonymousreply 50August 4, 2019 8:29 PM

I had my appointment yesterday. I was actually pretty calm when I walked in. I had the deep cleaning done first, which was not bad at all. Th hygienist stuck about six Q tips coated with lidocaine in my mouth first, then gave me novocain. The cleaning was only on the left upper and lower side and took about a half hour. She told me that my plaque buildup was coming off pretty easily, which was good. And thankfully, having never smoked, I have healthy gums. However, by the time I went in to see the dentist, the novocain was beginning to wear off a little. So the dentist gave me a booster, and whamo!! My entire left face was NUMB - you could have whacked the left side of my face with a two by four and I wouldn't have felt it!

The actual work wasn't that bad either. The sound of the drill was a tad unnerving, but since I couldn't feel a thing, I just tried to focus on staying relaxed. The dental assistant, who was really cool, had some 70s radio station on and that helped a lot - during the drilling, Linda Ronstadt's "Heat Wave" was playing!! No root canal was needed, thank God. The dental assistant stayed with me the entire time and was extremely reassuring, telling me exactly when the drilling was over, when the cavities were filled, and so on. And they gave me a free water pik!

The numbness didn't wear off for nearly two hours after I got home. Next appt is 9/4, at which time I'll have the deep cleaning done on the right side, one small surface cavity done, both silver fillings removed, and two crowns placed.

I am not only super relieved, but pretty proud of myself for facing up to this situation. The dentist said if I had waited much longer, I would have needed a root canal. I know this may sound trivial to a lot of you, but it was a HUGE STEP for me, and I have vowed that as long as I live, I will go back faithfully every six months to get my teeth cleaned. If there are any of you out there like me, who were so ridiculously phobic, DEAL WITH IT and FACE YOUR FEAR. Thanks everyone -

by Anonymousreply 51August 15, 2019 3:37 AM

Bravo, OP. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 52August 15, 2019 3:42 AM

you have to keep going or else your dental health will worsen, and so will your phobia. I think all dentists and hygienists have to understand by now that people are uncomfortable during the procedures, so they have to accommodate the patient.

Tell them straight up you are looking for a new Dentist and one that accommodate your needs, esp your dental phobia.

by Anonymousreply 53August 15, 2019 3:52 AM

[quote] R35: Lately I've been taking a teddy bear to appts.

The Christmas Moose will accompany you for a small gratuity. He will also negotiate deductibles and co-pays for a percentage. You need representation, OP!

by Anonymousreply 54August 15, 2019 3:24 PM

My hygienist wanted me to come 3 times a year. Then 4 times a year. My insurance only covers twice a year and I never need work. The cleaning is really quick, too, so I don’t know what they think there would be to clean. I refused to go more than twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 55August 15, 2019 3:28 PM

Ive had top and bottom bridgework in my mouth since I was 10....broke them in a fall. Going to the dentist is a painful nightmare from hell for me.. I haven't been to the dentist in 10 yrs. I do brush and floss daily...anything to avoid a trip to those overpriced sadists

by Anonymousreply 56August 15, 2019 6:34 PM

Good for you, OP. It feels like such a weight off your shoulders when you get these things out of the way, doesn't it? Make sure you stick to your plan of six-monthly cleanings.

by Anonymousreply 57August 15, 2019 6:38 PM

Really proud of you, OP. Bravo and well done. Took courage and you did it!

by Anonymousreply 58August 15, 2019 7:50 PM

Congratulations, OP. Glad you did not have to do root canals. Please stick to your resolve of cleaning your teeth every 6 months. Sounds like your dentist and staff were extremely patient with your situation.

by Anonymousreply 59August 15, 2019 7:56 PM

I have just been for the first time in 4 years too. In my case, it’s the hygienist that I have a problem with. I just find it really unpleasant and one time she hit a nerve somewhere. It wasn’t total agony, but it was enough to make me nervous in anticipation of it happening again.

I explained this to my dentist at my initial visit last week, and she said when I come for my actual treatment she would do the cleaning herself while I am still numb, so that I don’t have to worry about a separate hygienist visit.

She also made the point that if I then come every six months, the cleaning will be quicker and easier because my teeth won’t ever get so bad.

by Anonymousreply 60August 15, 2019 8:06 PM

Since I started using a Sonicare, my dentist always tells me my teeth look so great she hardly has to do anything at all, and I usually wait at least a year between cleanings.

by Anonymousreply 61August 15, 2019 9:12 PM

[quote]About ten years ago I finally found a dentist who does oral.

Giving or receiving?

by Anonymousreply 62August 16, 2019 12:45 AM

It’s probably not as bad as you think, here’s why.

Most of the time, dental surgery under sedation can be completed in under 30 minutes. Sedation is charged in 15 minute increments in many practices. You’re likely looking at the cost of the surgery and the cost of the sedation which is likely around $250. You’ll find most oral surgeons will do this without question. It’s faster and easier for everyone.

What you will have to anticipate is you may have to arrange transportation to and from the surgeon’s office. I had four teeth removed (3 wisdom and a molar that collapsed due to a jaw bone. Boring story). This would have been really annoying at my dentist’s office. At the oral surgeon’s, it was done in 30 minutes, never felt a thing.

Everybody likes me better when I’m sedated.

by Anonymousreply 63August 16, 2019 1:20 AM

I get my teeth cleaned quarterly, with X-rays and seeing the Doc himself twice annually.

I cannot take the choking sensation of the cotton bullets they place in one's cheek and gums, so I finally convinced my dentist to have his assistant hold them in place during a procedure.

Nor can I handle the latest "flat on your back" posture. Makes me gag. I insist on a slight incline, because frankly, my concern is not the dentist's back pain.

by Anonymousreply 64August 29, 2019 7:45 AM

R64 here, with abject apologies for not remembering that I'm r37! Well, at least I'm consistent!

by Anonymousreply 65August 29, 2019 7:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!