Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why am I supposed to want to be around straight people?

Could someone remind me? I know one or two who are genuine allies and they are fine. But most of them are dangerous, at least to your emotional well-being.

Worst of all are the ones who work for years at making you think they’re cool with gay people, then they do or say something that shows their true colors.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2019 2:53 AM

because the alternative is being around gay men all the time

by Anonymousreply 1July 22, 2019 1:56 AM

R1 What about the other letters?

by Anonymousreply 2July 22, 2019 2:00 AM

Straight people are hard to avoid.

by Anonymousreply 3July 22, 2019 2:12 AM

You're being a snowflake, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4July 22, 2019 2:17 AM

Because they make most of the population? If you decide to interact only with gay people you're hoing to be very, very lonely.

by Anonymousreply 5July 22, 2019 2:24 AM

People in general suck.

by Anonymousreply 6July 22, 2019 2:34 AM

R5, my friends over the years have been almost exclusively gay men. I have not been lonely.

by Anonymousreply 7July 22, 2019 2:37 AM

[quote]Straight people are hard to avoid.

So are potholes.

by Anonymousreply 8July 22, 2019 2:38 AM

Homophobia is so normalized, the hets don't even know when they're being homophobic. Short of wishing death on gay people, nothing they say can be anti-gay. Sometimes even "asking questions" on the morality of anti-gay murders they think is OK if you look, for example, at certain debates they have on some corners of the internet, notably Black Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 9July 22, 2019 2:40 AM

They are fine at the office unless I bring a homemade dish to a potluck. If you think they are "over" their fear of AIDS, guess again.

by Anonymousreply 10July 22, 2019 2:47 AM

Back when gays couldn't donate blood every guy in the office made a special point to donate blood ESPECIALLY the closet cases I knew well were t-room queens. And then they would smirk and proudly where their little "I donated" badges as badges of honor and status.

by Anonymousreply 11July 22, 2019 2:48 AM

wear

by Anonymousreply 12July 22, 2019 2:56 AM

You're pretty lucky then, OP. I don't think this could be possible where I live. But yeah, if you've got enough friends already and somehow they're all gay, no reason to force yourself to interact with straight people.

by Anonymousreply 13July 22, 2019 3:06 AM

“Officer, stop talking to me unless you’re gay. I don’t believe you. The pants; did you have them fitted?”

by Anonymousreply 14July 22, 2019 3:36 AM

Yeah straight people are awful and NOT family.

by Anonymousreply 15July 22, 2019 3:42 AM

You don't have to be around straight people OP. Though if you limit who you're around based on their sexual orientation you'll miss out on being with some really great people.

by Anonymousreply 16July 22, 2019 3:54 AM

Perhaps op should pretend everyone is latently gay and just needs a gay hug from a fully flowering gay.

by Anonymousreply 17July 29, 2019 4:47 AM

[quote]They are fine at the office unless I bring a homemade dish to a potluck. If you think they are "over" their fear of AIDS, guess again.

Straight people are not backward like this anymore in most places. If they're like this where you live, you should move.

I suspect OP wants to surround himself with gay people because he's surrounded by backward, bigoted straight people. If that's the case, he should move too. The straight people I know are funny and smart and sympathetic and enrich my life.

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2019 5:15 AM

Because you need the eggs.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2019 5:40 AM

I read an exchange that I think typifies a "regular bloke" type straight person:

[Quote] Regular Bloke: "G, you going all out for Pride next week?"

[Quote] Gay: "No, I'm not doing it this year."

[Quote] RB: "Oh, good on ya."

[Quote] Woman: "Why is that good?"

[Quote] RB: "Well, uh, you know, uh, it's nice that some, uh, gays aren't all about telling the world they're gay non-stop, uh..."

[Quote] -weird silence-

[Quote] W: "RB, all you talk about is being a parent..."

[Quote] RB: "Yeah, well, uh, some things are, uh, more important than others..."

[Quote] G: "You're saying your 31-minute story the other day about getting your kid a new football kit is more important than social equality?"

[Quote] RB: "Uh..."

[Quote] G&W: -glare-

[Quote] RB: "...Uh..."

The exchange was reported in a light fashion, office banter etc. but I think it evokes that "quick to undermine"/self-importance so common in majority types.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2019 6:27 AM

Actually half of my friends right now are straight. They are fine and supportive. (Super liberal and well-educated women and their husbands for the most part). When I was in my 20s and 30s, most of my friends were gay men. I think it's a function of age.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2019 7:11 AM

I’m 40, R21, so not a function of age in my case.

I grew up feeling repressed and isolated. I was over 20 before I met another out gay person. I swore back then that I would never feel that isolation again, the feeling of being cut off from other people like me. It’s a promise to myself that I’ve kept and I’m proud of that. It might be the only promise I’ve made to myself that I’ve been able to keep.

If I “miss out” on knowing some great straight people, so be it. The great gay people in my life more than make up for it.

by Anonymousreply 22July 30, 2019 1:00 AM

[quote] Worst of all are the ones who work for years at making you think they’re cool with gay people, then they do or say something that shows their true colors.

No, Missy. The worst is being around people who physically beat or harm you.

Save the SJW drama for your mama.

by Anonymousreply 23July 30, 2019 1:05 AM

[quote] If you think they are "over" their fear of AIDS, guess again.

Maybe that's still the case in Pigfart, Kentucky. I can't speak for where you live.

But here where I live, in an actual city, that's not the case.

by Anonymousreply 24July 30, 2019 1:08 AM

R21, no, it's not a function of age... but of consciousness

by Anonymousreply 25July 30, 2019 1:31 AM

Unfortunately, it's always going to be an issue. Many straight people are fine - many are not, but they look like they are.

I just don't trust them in general unless i have proof that they won't be against me or being gay. Sucks to live life this way - but there are too many life experiences that have taught me to be this way. Including my own family.

by Anonymousreply 26July 30, 2019 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!