Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV sets that don’t make sense.

Blanche Devereaux’s house in The Golden Girls is completely impossible. The interior dimensions make no sense at all. Anyone remember when Sophia’s room suddenly had an en suite for a single episode?

And I still think there’s something weird about Will Truman’s neighbour’s front door.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2019 3:36 PM

The GG house was ugly as shit.

I've been rewatching Friends on Netlix and I've decided I really like the apartment Monica lives in.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2019 9:15 PM

We've had this discussion before.

You're correct. The way the house is designed, when the girls go out the back door (from the kitchen) presumably into the garage, they'd be in the hallway leading to the bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 9:16 PM

I remember reading that there was no way Monica and Rachel could never afford that apartment in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2019 9:17 PM

It was explained R3. Aunt's rent controlled apartment that Monica was living in though the landlord didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2019 9:20 PM

Forget affordability -- how many New York apartment buildings have huge cool designer loft apartments right across the hall from generic 2-bedrooms?

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2019 9:20 PM

It's not an interior, but both "All in the Family" and "Maude" had exteriors that didn't even come close to matching what the set designers built for the front porch and door. At the beginning of "Maude" they zoom in on a house with a crummy front door with a screen door and in the next second Bea Arthur opens a handsome wooden door with no screen.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2019 9:25 PM

That did cross my mind R5.

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2019 9:25 PM

Roseanne's house rules this thread.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2019 9:30 PM

R5 it was obvious an old building where the unit used to be the entire top floor and then it was chopped up!

Also the window over the kitchen sink makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2019 9:31 PM

Re: GG I think all of them magically had an en suite in at least one episode.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2019 9:32 PM

I remember the episode of GG where we see the enormous bathroom - that didn’t make sense either. Where was the door to it?

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2019 9:34 PM

I recall reading on a similar thread that the view of Seattle from Frasier's apartment is only possible if it were located in the Pacific Ocean.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2019 9:36 PM

I was always bothered that the window in the exterior shot of the house on Mary Tyler Moore did not match the windows in Mary's apartment.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2019 9:42 PM

I thought it was ridiculous that Frasier's luxury apartment at the Elliot Bay Towers didn't have an en suite washer/dryer and poor Daphne had to schlep the laundry down to the basement.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2019 9:43 PM

Assuming that Mary Richards' (Mary Tyler Moore Show) apartment was the apartment on the 3rd floor with the 3 windows and the pointed roof (see picture linked), then there was no way Rhoda's apartment could have been upstairs. (On the interior shots, there was a stairway from Mary's that led upstairs to Rhoda's.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2019 9:50 PM

I always thought Rhoda was supposed to live in the attic above the turret.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2019 10:13 PM

[quote]I recall reading on a similar thread that the view of Seattle from Frasier's apartment is only possible if it were located in the Pacific Ocean.

Big deal. Our crummy brownstone was at the bottom of the East River.

by Anonymousreply 17July 22, 2019 4:18 AM

The gigantic staircase

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 22, 2019 4:36 AM

It looks that way NOW R18.

by Anonymousreply 19July 22, 2019 4:40 AM

The original "One Day at a Time" set had the useless room behind the living room. It also wasn't clear where the bathrooms were -- that short hall seemed to lead to two bedrooms and at least one bath, which would have seemed to extend past the useless room with its window. Very weird setup.

by Anonymousreply 20July 22, 2019 4:43 AM

Dick Van Dyke's living room floor was so badly designed that he trips at the beginning of every single episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 22, 2019 4:46 AM

The front door on “King of Queens” doesn’t match the one on the set at all. Not even close.

by Anonymousreply 22July 22, 2019 5:03 AM

Yes, that huge room behind the living room / couch didn't make sense. Nobody ever went into that room. On top of that, Julie and Barbara shared a bedroom, IIRC. One of them could have used that huge back room as their bedroom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 22, 2019 5:13 AM

[quote]Roseanne's house rules this thread.

Can you elaborate a little, r8?

by Anonymousreply 24July 22, 2019 11:39 AM

R24 Roseanne has been known for having a floor plan that makes no sense. I believe the first thing is the downstairs layout with Roseanne's bedroom and the placement of the bathroom and the entrances to it. It doesn't match the hallway.

The most talked about though this the kids bedroom. It's notorious for having a Jack and Jill bathroom which is virtually impossible because of how the bedroom doors are placed, the rooms are across the hall from one another.

The upstairs bedroom windows also do not match the exterior of the house.

I believe there are other problems as well, that I'm forgetting.

by Anonymousreply 25July 22, 2019 11:56 AM

I've always struggled trying to figure out Edina's house on AbFab.

by Anonymousreply 26July 22, 2019 12:06 PM

My Sony Trinitron® makes no sense!

by Anonymousreply 27July 22, 2019 12:09 PM

The One Day At A Time set layout was used for the new show, part of its "wink" at the original.

At least in the new show, that room behind the living room is a bedroom - for Rita Moreno's character, with some fun room dividing curtains, often used for dramatic effect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 22, 2019 12:14 PM

r12 To be fair Frasier's apartment doesn't make any type of sense. What shape was this building? And how drunk was the architect?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 22, 2019 12:21 PM

Not only that, R25 but Roseanne is able to take the hinges off the girl's bedroom door from the outside when the hinges are on the inside.

by Anonymousreply 30July 22, 2019 12:31 PM

Did they ever explain why Frasier had a 3BR in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 31July 22, 2019 12:32 PM

R31 Daphne's room was intended to be his study.

by Anonymousreply 32July 22, 2019 1:10 PM

My tv set makes no sense. It's brand new and it doesn't let me watch regular cable through the cable box but instead I have to use the App!

by Anonymousreply 33July 22, 2019 1:17 PM

Roseanne's house does own this thread. There used to be websites devoted to trying to figure out the layout.

To add to what was already listed, the windows in the kids bedrooms are supposed to face the front of the house, as evidenced in the episode when someone throws clothing from the girls room out the window and you can see it landing on the porch. However in order for the windows to face the front of the house, the windows should be where the entrance is to the girl's room. But the way the actual room is set up, the girls would be on the opposite side of the house.

The way the windows are set, they're facing the side of the house, as shown when DJ was peeping on the neighbor girl.

And again, there's no way Becky and Darlene could share that bathroom with DJ.

by Anonymousreply 34July 22, 2019 1:25 PM

Mary Richards's cut up mansion had at least four apartments. I assume Phyllis had two bedrooms and Mary had a studio and Rhoda lived in the attic. There is at least one other apt directly below Mary's. Phyllis suggest Rhoda and Mary move in together, so I assume that is 2 bedroom but then Ted wants it. Why would cheapass Ted want two bedrooms?

The exterior does not match the interior there was even a joke about it. The architect that Mary dates was sketching the house and Rhoda tells him she lives upstairs he says that he wasn't aware there was another floor and Rhoda quips, "There isn't, I live there anyway."

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2019 2:06 PM

[quote]To be fair Frasier's apartment doesn't make any type of sense. What shape was this building?

To be fair, he was on the counter-balance.

by Anonymousreply 36July 22, 2019 3:34 PM

The small to mid-size NYC apartment buildings with great wide corridors strewn with consoles and abstract paintings and the occasional big upholstered chair, and all very hushed and wall-to-wall carpeted.

by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2019 3:55 PM

A couple of years ago, I streamed the original Upstairs Downstairs.

The house in Belgravia was constantly changing to suit stories and budgets.

At first, the dining room was small and barely sat four. Then, in the episode where the King came for dinner, it was very long and sat many times that.

The living room had no adjoining room. Then, someone who played cards was a plot point, so there was a large cardroom off the living room.

The funniest thing was the ENORMOUS ballroom that appeared out of nowhere near the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2019 4:16 PM

r38, the Carrington mansion on "Dynasty" changed in the last few years as well. Those long hallways suddenly became normal-sized.

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2019 11:34 PM

[quote]I believe there are other problems as well, that I'm forgetting.

Not the least of which that a mid 20th century working class house of its vintage would just not have an en suite master on the main level. There are bungalows with finished upper levels, but then there would have been severely sloping ceilings and no upper level bath. Even early to mid 20th century mansions didn't have main floor masters, unless you count the maid's room behind the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 12:50 AM

I’m sure that the neighbour’s front door in Will and Grace would essentially take you straight into Will’s bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 41July 23, 2019 7:31 AM

The kitchen in Bewitched had stairs that were just painted on.

by Anonymousreply 42July 23, 2019 1:43 PM

I had a TV set and the UHF tuner was just a dial. You didn't know what channel it was on, like a radio. That TV set made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 43July 23, 2019 1:44 PM

That Police Box on Dr Who makes no sense either. Why’s no one ever mentioned it?

by Anonymousreply 44July 23, 2019 2:44 PM

The houses on "Knots Landing," for the most part, made sense although Karen would have had an additional room to the right before the garage if you base it on the house's exterior.

by Anonymousreply 45July 23, 2019 3:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!