Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What do you use to carry your bits about with you?

These days I (and most people/men) have a lot of stuff to carry about with me.

Keys, wallet, phone etc...

And my pockets just bulge out all over the place - so I've been experimenting with various bags etc...it seems here in England everyone uses backpacks, but I don't fancy them and `I don't want all my stuff on my back where thieves could access them without me seeing.

So I use, currently, a canvas briefcase with a strap - but it's a bit shit. What do YOU use.

I do not use ANYTHING like the guys in this collage. Do YOU?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2019 12:12 PM

A Louis Vuitton fanny pack Ive had SINCE the 80s . I dont give a hoot what anyone thinks about it either,I love that battered old thing and its just the right size for all my accoutrements .

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2019 6:43 PM

Who's the guy on the bike in OP's pic?

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote]Keys, wallet, phone etc...

What else are you carrying besides keys, wallet and phone? What is this "etc." that you're toting around?

If you have other stuff to carry, like computer and stuff for workpapers, then get a messenger bag of some sort if you don't want a backpack. But, I can't imagine what you would be carting around with you on a regular basis that you'd need to get something else.

by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2019 6:47 PM

OP mentions three things: keys, wallet, and phone. Phone goes in shirt pocket. Keys go in front pocket. Wallet goes in front pocket or back pocket depending on the neighborhood, time of day, and level of sobriety.

And, "No," I am not going to go through airports (or anywhere else) accessorized like Johnny Weir.

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2019 6:53 PM

Thanks, OP, it’s a quandary.

I have keys, a phone, a handkerchief, wallet, of course, and that is already too much to fit into my pockets. Sometimes I also have chapstick and an iPad.

I bought a really nice leather messenger bag. I wish there was something smaller. But I use that. I have a larger canvas bag I use when it might get dirty. Both hang are across the body.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2019 6:54 PM

I recommend one of these... they are roomy enough to carry my wallet, phone, keys, makeup bag, and 3 packages of double stuff Oreos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2019 6:58 PM

I use a cross-body sachel, but it's not that big. It's sort of like a travel bag, made of black nylon/canvas type of a thing, and it's flat--just a a couple of inches wide so that I'm not lugging everything around looking "im carrying a woman's pocketbook/purse.

But I need something. I can no longer stuff everything into my pockets. Beside I hate carrying my phone in my pants pocket.

My cross-body bag is not exactly like the one shown here, but it's along this line:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2019 7:04 PM

You really MUST purchase a Lorenzo bag from Launer (the maker of the Queen's purses).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2019 7:07 PM

etc = Sanitizer, tissues, chapstick, body spray, popper, condoms, lube, emergency dildo, some E, etc.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2019 7:29 PM

[quote] Who's the guy on the bike in OP's pic?

Richard Madden from "Bodyguard" and "Game of Thrones," showing that a Louis Vuitton bag is an absolute MUST for transporting his beloved Shiba Inu around London by bicycle while he sports a violet striped scarf and a black leather jacket!

Gurrrrrrrrrrl!

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2019 7:38 PM

You expected me to go into FULL DETAILS of what I carry about with me? It's so boring. I just wanted to get a thread going so I could get to hear what you guys use, not post a full self-exposé...leading to a thread with people "commenting" on my "lifestyle".

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2019 7:38 PM

Alsocords and electric plug for phone. It all adds up.

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2019 7:39 PM

I love that Johnny Weir

(a) is not apparently wearing anything below the waist

(b) has a Birkin bag to match his blazer

(c) is wearing what appears to be a white linen shirt/dress

(d) is carrying a flowered fan, as if he were a Spanish duenna

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2019 7:44 PM

I'm having the same problem. It's not that I have a lot, but rather that the items can't really go into my pockets without making me look bulbous (damn tighter clothing). Further, it's not particularly comfortable. But the problem is that most mens bags are far too big for what I carry. I also feel like the days of gay men carrying around bags is kind of over. Even for the most effeminate guys, carrying around some giant bag filled with pedestrian crap, like a woman with a purse, just looks weird. Of course, if one is traveling to and from work with papers, laptop, etc, then that's a different story. But on weekends, I don't want to stuff all my tiny items into a giant bag and lug it around with me.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2019 7:55 PM

Try a belt bag.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2019 7:55 PM

Lots of younger men in my city (Portland) carry canvas tote bags over one shoulder.

I could never do that--I would feel too girleen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2019 8:11 PM

Yes, WAY too gurleen!

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2019 8:14 PM

I carry my bits about in this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 8:17 PM

I have a ton of backpacks, messenger bags and men's business tote bags that I constantly rotate through on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]What is this "etc." that you're toting around?

Lube and condoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 9:15 PM

[quote]What is this "etc." that you're toting around?

Lube and condoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 9:15 PM

Some people are comfortable leaving home with nothing but their phone, keys and wallet or card case. Others feel like me - I get nervous if I'm more than a mile from home without water, some medications I take regularly, some other medications (like Tylenol and antihistamine) that I might need, plus my laptop/tablet, phone charger, laptop charger, and an energy bar or two. What if I my car breaks down on the expressway? What if I'm in the middle of a big city like NY without my car - which is already anxiety-provoking - and there's one of those power failures that Manhattan seems to have from time to time?

The point is, what if I'm stranded somewhere and can't get home?

There is probably some connection to packing for travel. The "just phone, keys and wallet" guys would leave for a month in the Congo with a single bag. People like me take at least two bags, plus whatever I might conceivably need under almost any circumstances, for a weekend in the country.

Oh, and I'll bet there's a connection to the refrigerator and pantry, too. The "just phone" guys have a few eggs, a frozen dinner from TJ, some leftover Chinese, and an elderly can of soup; they buy whatever they need each day - no storage. Guys like me could feed the Persian army for a month with what's in my refrigerator, freezer and pantry. (I could entertain them in other ways, too, but never mind that).

I envy the one bag-just phone-no larder people sometimes, but I could never live like that.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 9:59 PM

Well, this is an OCD confession. I'm sorry not to be able to help, OP. I need to be able to feel my keys in my right front pocket, some change (yes, coins) and my phone in my left front pocket, and my wallet in my right rear pocket. I used to always carry a pocket handkerchief, but found that made me too hot. Now, I only carry one in my breast pocket on formal occasions. When I go out with brother, I always let him drive my car, but he knows he has to hand over the keys or I'll end up having a panic attack.

Since you're English, how about a fanny-pack? You could enjoy horrifying people by mentioning it casually (as often as possible).

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2019 10:08 PM

One of these.

And I'm one of those that could never leave the house with keys, wallet, and phone. My etc usually consists of a book, some work stuff, water, and also condoms, lube and poppers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2019 10:09 PM

R22 I'm like you. In fact today, I made the decision to go two suitcases for a 10 day trip. There are some things about people that just aren't worth trying to change. I'll never be a light packer, so be it.

Yes, I carry a backpack with my daily essentials.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2019 10:10 PM

Here’s my bag. It’s canvas. It was really expensive, but does the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 23, 2019 5:58 PM

^^ Stinky linky. R26.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2019 9:57 PM

Trying again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 10:00 PM

Blimey, that dreary bag is "really expensive"? Why?

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 10:02 PM

How expensive is "really expensive"?

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2019 10:03 PM

Cargo pants, I know DL hates them but I don't care, I am not trying to impress anyone and I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks. Plus who wants another thing you have to carry around with you like a bag and make sure you don't forget it somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2019 10:05 PM

R39, I don’t remember. It was from Tumi, and maybe around $300. But it’s exactly what I wanted. So many bags look like pocket books. And I didn’t want a back pack. I think it’s a bad picture.

I agree, R31, but have just decided this year to give up my cargo pants.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2019 10:12 PM

The bag at R26 is a Tumi brand messenger bag, I'm assuming. This current version is discounted and currently costs $239 from the Tumi website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2019 10:18 PM

[quote] My etc usually consists of a book, some work stuff, water, and also condoms, lube and poppers.

A good Girl Scout always stays prepared!

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2019 10:45 PM

Thanks, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2019 10:50 PM

Sorry, OP. But whatever I need to carry is on my person. I have a hard enough time getting myself from point A to point B let alone worry about myself AND a bag.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2019 10:53 PM

When I’m in my own city I try to minimise what I carry because I HATE things in my pockets. Thankfully Apple Pay means I can get around most of the time with out my wallet. So I just carry a single car key, phone and chapstick. The sooner cars ditch keys/fobs and have it integrated with NFC or Bluetooth from my mobile the better.

My cousin has the most perfect sized bag for when Exploring /travelling, but I cannot for the life of me find one of a similar size.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2019 11:00 PM

I bet it’s dangerous as a American of Mexican heritage, to walk around without a picture ID, in some parts of the South.

My TexMex friend, at a wedding in Palm Springs, kept saying that he was wearing his tie unknotted because, if he wore it knotted, people would be asking him to get them drinks.

by Anonymousreply 38July 23, 2019 11:04 PM

When OP gets to her cubicle there's a 90 minute process for pulling out everything in her bag: skin care items, plugging in the makeup mirror, hydrating mist, personal care items (and a trip to the gents) and then reapplying everything after a stressful trip on the subway to get to the office!

by Anonymousreply 39July 23, 2019 11:20 PM

Finally, a thread to separate the Marys from the Rhodas.

by Anonymousreply 40July 23, 2019 11:26 PM

Mary aka R39 thought she'd get a slew of W&Ws - but alas, she got none.

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2019 12:34 AM

A plastic grocery bag just to annoy the snobby queens.

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2019 12:45 AM

My stylish man bag gets lots of looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2019 1:20 AM

[bold]711 views -19 posters[/bold]

711 views? Why are so few people willing to talk about their bags?

by Anonymousreply 44July 24, 2019 1:58 AM

More concerning is, how many Lesbian posters are included in that count?

by Anonymousreply 45July 24, 2019 2:04 AM

R44, what do you want to know about her?

by Anonymousreply 46July 24, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote] You expected me to go into FULL DETAILS of what I carry about with me? It's so boring. I just wanted to get a thread going so I could get to hear what you guys use, not post a full self-exposé...leading to a thread with people "commenting" on my "lifestyle".

Not necessarily the "full details," but a rough outline would help to figure out what size bag is needed.

I carry around the basics: wallet, phone, and pen. The thing that puts the volume of stuff over the edge is my glasses case. (I wear prescription with Transition lenses that darken in the sun.) My eyesight isn't that bad, so I do like to take off my glasses sometimes (hence the case).

by Anonymousreply 47July 24, 2019 3:00 AM

I have a small Herschel card wallet, and my phone in my front pockets. Keys on a carabiner, laptop in a Timbuk2 messenger bag.

by Anonymousreply 48July 24, 2019 4:33 AM

[quote]But, I can't imagine what you would be carting around with you on a regular basis that you'd need to get something else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 24, 2019 8:20 AM

Sometimes throughout my livelihood, I have to wear pocketless workout clothes, and this baby will do the trick (I have exactly that one minus the hot colors). It’s about 8” by 10” with four separate compartments. Big enough for a water bottle but with a side pocket snug enough for a phone. Let’s can go in the zippered pocket or hang from a side ring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 24, 2019 8:25 AM

Let’s >> keys

by Anonymousreply 51July 24, 2019 8:26 AM

Also, somehow, wearing a small Totto bag cross torso makes you look less like a chick, plus it is actually safer and fits more securely

by Anonymousreply 52July 24, 2019 8:29 AM

I use a small black cinch bag with drawstrings, like this one, when I’m out and about.

It’s lightweight, versatile, and doesn’t take up much space. And has enough room for the small things I need to have on me like wallet, phone, charger, keys, chapstick, gum, sunglasses, water bottle, etc.

I just carry it at my side by the drawstrings, but you could also wear it as a backpack if desired.

You can find a cheap one on Amazon for a couple of dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 24, 2019 11:29 AM

[quote]Who's the guy on the bike in OP's pic? Richard Madden from "Bodyguard" and "Game of Thrones," showing that a Louis Vuitton bag is an absolute MUST for transporting his beloved Shiba Inu around London by bicycle while he sports a violet striped scarf and a black leather jacket!

That's NOT Richard Madden.

by Anonymousreply 54July 24, 2019 11:33 AM

Phone and wallet go in pockets. I'm not a runway model. If I need to bring my laptop or some other item of size, a messenger bag.

by Anonymousreply 55July 24, 2019 11:36 AM

30 liter backpack (lately Berghaus). Keys, sunnies, wallet, tissue, sunscreen, water bottle (no mobile). Also serves as extremely convenient and environmentally friendly bag in which to carry purchases, such as groceries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 24, 2019 11:40 AM

Old people love to combine their phone case + wallet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 24, 2019 11:50 AM

I have a rucksack which I carry everywhere. I assume the people who don't carry a bag have cars?

by Anonymousreply 58July 24, 2019 11:57 AM

[quote]Old people love to combine their phone case + wallet

I would have thought you shouldn't put your credit cards with your phone - the magnetics. I guess I'm wrong.

by Anonymousreply 59July 24, 2019 12:06 PM

[quote]I would have thought you shouldn't put your credit cards with your phone - the magnetics

It’s a bad idea.

People using one of those combined phone+wallet cases might as well be wearing a sign that reads “ No Common Sense”.

by Anonymousreply 60July 24, 2019 12:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!