Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gays and Tennis Part 41 US Open summer series edition!

This coming week starts the USO series as Atlanta gets underway. After that we'll have a series of tournaments across the US oh and of course the Rogers Cup. Given the heatwave taking over a good chunk of the country, surely that will impact the results of some matches too.

This week also has the debut of the ladies event in Latvia.

there are coaching changes too.

Kafelnikov, Pierce and Li are about to be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

by Anonymousreply 331August 10, 2019 4:34 PM

How many majors did Kafelnikov win, 2?

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 10:25 PM

Thanks, OP!

I am happy about Kafelnikov being inducted, not that I actually care about the Hall of Fame though, haha.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 10:26 PM

R1 Kafelnikov has 2 singles slam titles, 4 doubles slam titles and the 2000 Olympics singles gold medal. He's the last ATP player to win the singles and doubles slam at the same event (1996 RG).

I remember 10 years ago when people were wondering why he wasn't in the HoF, some commentators were bashing him but I don't remember why. He certainly accomplished more than someone like Roddick.

Sure I expect Kafelnikov to be a Putin lover which sucks but the HoF is about tennis achievements not personality

by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 10:28 PM

I have nothing against him R3, and I forgot about the Olympic gold and the dubs titles.

He was never this hot, though:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 10:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 10:33 PM

Actually, I don't think he is a fan, R3. Some of his tweets a while back seemed to not be very positive about politics, but my Russian is only enough for a vague understanding. Anyway, he's certainly not at Safin levels of (previous) involvement. Though Safin himself seems to have been disillusioned by it all and is now off traveling the world while also raising kittens it seems.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 10:37 PM

Sunday singles finals set:

Bastad: Londero vs. Jarry. Londero is seeking his second career title (he won his first earlier this year) while Jarry is seeking his first. Londero is 1-0 against Jarry

Umag: old journeyman battle-someone will win his first title! yay! 30 year old Balazs vs. 29 year old Lajovic. They've never played each other in a main draw at least

Newport: Isner vs. Bublik. Isner just survived Humbert in a long match. He is seeking his 15th title and 4th in Newport. Bublik is seeking his first title. Never played before

Bucharest: Tig vs. Rybakina Both are seeking their first title yay! and they've never played before

Lausanne: Cornet vs. Ferro Cornet is seeking her 7th title and Ferro her 1st. Never played before

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 10:37 PM

R6 I hope you're right

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 10:39 PM

I'd do Dusan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 10:50 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 10:52 PM

Welcome, guys!

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 11:34 PM

So fat.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 11:43 PM

Wow. Pierce discusses her father openly.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 11:58 PM

Pierce is a Jesus freak? Total turn off. I was ready to like her for once.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2019 12:06 AM

Did Haber actually cut it short because of Pierce’s long ass speech?

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2019 12:24 AM

I think Mary gave the longest HoF speech ever. The stuff about her father was poignant though.

Kafelnikov was humble.

Li is still very funny

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2019 12:41 AM

R14 yes since leaving the game Pierce has been both a missionary and a tennis teacher in other parts of the world. I think she was Mauritius in recent years

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2019 12:43 AM

*in Mauritius

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2019 12:43 AM

btw if this thread ends up getting "the subscriber only" tag, feel free to create another thread. Hopefully it won't happen though

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2019 12:44 AM

[quote] yes since leaving the game Pierce has been both a missionary and a tennis teacher in other parts of the world

She's still a lesbian though. All of them are!

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 3:09 AM

I thought there was scandal around Kafenikov

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 3:17 AM

Here it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 3:19 AM

Mother Mary became a jesus freak, but I might have too if I grew up with that father.... very moving speech though. God I want her to come back to the tour and punish these girls' second serves, haha. Has Li Na had work done? She looks great either way and I always liked her personality.

Patricia Tig making the final in Bucharest (her home tournament) is such a story! She is an unranked player right now (only has an ITF ranking, not a WTA one). She had injuries and took about 2 years off to have a baby - cue the Serena jokes. Bucharest gave her a Wildcard into qualifying, and she has won all her matches including beating top seed and defending champ Sevastova.

She was actually quite a good player before she left the tour. Made the QF of Madrid a few years ago beating Kasatkina, Sloane Stephens, Madison Keys etc.

If she wins the title tonight she becomes the first unranked player to do so since Mirjana Lucic in 1997. Who was a junior at the time and had no WTA ranking. Bol (Croatia tournament) said they would offer her a qualies WC if she left the junior tour and turned pro... she did so, two days later was in her first pro event as a qualifier, won the title at barely 15 years old, and the rest is history.

I thought Clijsters might have been unranked when she won her first US Open after her kid but turns out she had points from Cincinatti and other US hard court tournament so was technically ranked.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2019 7:14 AM

We discussed this in a previous thread, R21/R22. I still believe his explanation that someone else used his credit cards. Then again I was a big fan of his, so am probably more willing to accept his version of the story.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2019 9:14 AM

Tracy Austin's son Brandon Holt is 21 years old and ranked #496. He's playing the Canadian challenger Granby this week

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2019 9:50 AM

I'm happy to hear that Safin is not a Putin lover anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that he voted and defended their antigay law

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2019 10:44 AM

Safin always struck me as a dim bulb, but at least he's brightened. And we'll always have this.

FAA and Hurkacz are lamentably out of Atlanta, where Newport finalists Bublik and Isner are slated to meet each other in the second round.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2019 11:31 AM

The following interview of Marat Safin is so bizarre. He is a "devoted and practicing Muslim" but all he wants to do now is... Partying and enjoying himself? No more committed relationship for him! WTF?

And good for him that he resigned from his politic mandate but the truth is he should never have found himself caught up in politics, homophobic or not .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2019 11:40 AM

How can I get the Cypriot Davis Cup team to gang bang me?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2019 12:51 PM

Marat Safin is the Jeff Palmer of the tennis world.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2019 2:34 PM

The Safin family are Tatars. They are Muslim but not the strictest out there

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2019 6:24 PM

omg Mmoh. What a choke. He served for the match TWICE against Tommy Paul in the third and even had some match points but got broken both times and flopped in the tiebreak. His comeback from injury is not going well. He's had so many close losses. I hope it doesn't start to affect his confidence.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2019 6:24 PM

r25, I watched him playing college tennis and wiping out his competition.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2019 6:42 PM

Finals results:

Bastad: Jarry def. Londero 7-6 (7) 6-4 for his first title! yay!

Umag: Lajovic def. Balazs 7-5 7-5 for his first title! yay!

Newport: Isner def. Bublik 7-6 (2) 6-3 for his 15th title and 4th in Newport

Bucharest: Rybakina def. Tig 6-2 6-0 for her first title! yay!

Lausanne: Ferro def. Cornet 6-1 2-6 6-1 for her first title! yay!

Too bad about Newport. We could have had a 5 first time title winner sweep otherwise. but Isner's serve is so damn difficult for anyone outside the top 30 to deal with consistently. He did almost lose this week but no one was consistent enough. Bublik even served for the first set today but got very tight

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2019 8:04 PM

Godawful Isner is certainly the gadfly in that ointment.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2019 8:09 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2019 8:13 PM

This Dusan shot is worth another look...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 22, 2019 3:54 AM

WTF has Thiem done to deserve a documentary?

by Anonymousreply 38July 22, 2019 7:55 AM

^ He won Mladonna's heart!

by Anonymousreply 39July 22, 2019 9:26 AM

Peter McNamara has died. Prostate cancer.

Had a stint in the top 10 in singles where he beat the likes of McEnroe, Connors, Gerulatis, and Lendl, but more well known as a multiple grand slam champ in doubles with Paul McNamee (one of the best teams in history). He used to coach Grigor Dimitrov, Mark Phillipoussis, and was coaching Chinese #1 Qiang Wang up until the end of last year, where she ended her career-best season ranking of #14.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 22, 2019 9:36 AM

Forgot to add that he was 64.

If anyone is reading this, don't leave it too late to get checked for prostate cancer!

by Anonymousreply 41July 22, 2019 9:38 AM

Pierce could certainly whack the ball, but she was an average mover at best. Plus she seemed on the verge of tears in about 90% of her matches.

by Anonymousreply 42July 22, 2019 10:58 AM

R42 I agree with the average movement comment, but 'on the verge of tears' is a bit perplexing. :/ I can hardly remember a player who smiled more on the court than she did. She is grinning throughout the Graf match (highlights posted in either this thread or the one before). Even when losing she seemed very pleasant at the net and overjoyed at her achievement.

When she was runner up to Clijsters and Henin at two slams in 2005, or even the same year where she suffered a tough loss to Venus at Wimbledon in the QF (she had just wasted about 5 set points and was still beaming and polite to Venus). She beat Mauresmo at the YEC that year in the round robin, and was smiling the whole way through the final a few days later even though Mauresmo was beating her.

Here's the classic Sports Illustrated article about her psycho father (from 1993). I had forgotten what a creep he was, didn't realise he actually spent time in jail, assaulted people, was banned from all the tennis events, and stole their passports too.... this guy walked so Damir Dokic could run.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 22, 2019 11:18 AM

Also how did Lausanne get away with THIS as a runner up plate? It literally looks like an old oven tray the tournament director's wife just washed and pulled out of the bottom cupboard. It even has dents all over it. I'm pretty sure i've roasted dinners on this exact tray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 22, 2019 11:21 AM

Jesus Cornet needs a nose intervention stat! I'd like to put a pin through it.

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2019 11:39 AM

Alison Riske got married!...to Stephen Amritraj

p.s. Twitter videos/gifs don't seem to work for me here anymore

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2019 12:33 PM

R38: I don't understand that either.

He is not a GS champ, his career is far from being over, he is not a player of a country without tradition (he is not even close to be the best austrian player) and he doesn't seem to have a unique personal story.

So i don't understand the need of a documentary. Maybe at the end of his career but not right now.

But to be fair, i think Carlos Moya had his own documentary at the beginning of his career too

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2019 1:46 PM

And when you think that "cornet" in French is the name of the long, curled shelf of bone that protrudes into the breathing passage of the nose!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2019 1:47 PM

And Alizé is a strong wind of the Intertropical Convergence Zone. Jesus, she could snort some hamsters with those nostrils.

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2019 1:54 PM

The outfits the line judges and ball people are wearing in Hamburg are tragic.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2019 2:37 PM

What's going on with Garin? He's completely lost the momentum he had during the main clay season

by Anonymousreply 51July 22, 2019 4:41 PM

Shapo pic. Not playing tennis but rather promoting a product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 22, 2019 10:19 PM

Too bad about Garin. Can't make the transition ( ! ) to faster surfaces?

by Anonymousreply 53July 22, 2019 10:34 PM

I see Palermo is back on WTA tour. I just remember the 100 editions won by Barbara Schett

by Anonymousreply 54July 22, 2019 10:38 PM

oh well, just checked and she won it only once.

by Anonymousreply 55July 22, 2019 10:39 PM

R55, she also won it twice in women’s doubles.

by Anonymousreply 56July 22, 2019 10:41 PM

Its doubles match.

by Anonymousreply 57July 22, 2019 10:42 PM

Shapo is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 58July 23, 2019 2:12 AM

What’s his skin color?

by Anonymousreply 59July 23, 2019 2:38 AM

R52: Shapo is on the verge of becoming one of those players who are incredibly overhyped when they start their career who became totally irrelevant in no time.

Right now he is playing to be in the hot shots, just like Kyrgios, Bublik or Davidovich, and you rarely win anything when you play that way

by Anonymousreply 60July 23, 2019 1:38 PM

Domi looked good in his shorts today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 23, 2019 2:10 PM

Young Grigor & Tiafoe hug after shirtless practice in Atlanta

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 23, 2019 2:33 PM

[quote]Shapo is on the verge of becoming one of those players who are incredibly overhyped when they start their career who became totally irrelevant in no time.

He is the male Bouchard. They have something else in common: he loves Putin; she said in 2014 that her favorite US President was Reagan. I wouldn't be surprised if she thought Trump is the shit.

by Anonymousreply 63July 23, 2019 4:54 PM

Grigor wants summa dat

by Anonymousreply 64July 23, 2019 5:52 PM

i can't wait til Young Grigor retires and stops shaving his body. All that arm hair tells me he must be hairy when he lets it go. He's like my ideal guy, physically, and with the hair, I'd die.

by Anonymousreply 65July 23, 2019 6:41 PM

Grigor is in the ATL for some DL dick

by Anonymousreply 66July 23, 2019 7:12 PM

Tiafoe just tanked to Tomic of all people. Damn Tomic is hideous looking. Faces of meth.

by Anonymousreply 67July 23, 2019 10:13 PM

Opelka seems to have an unpleasant air about him.

by Anonymousreply 68July 23, 2019 10:15 PM

all the people I'm cheering for this week are flopping lol

Tiafoe how the fuck did he lose to Tomic? Tiafoe has so much talent and athleticism but he's really stupid tactically

and Dimitrov! WTF just lost in straights to KEVIN KING ranked in the 400s. ouch

by Anonymousreply 69July 24, 2019 2:49 AM

[quote] Domi looked good in his shorts today

Thanks for posting that pic.

by Anonymousreply 70July 24, 2019 3:11 AM

[quote] Opelka seems to have an unpleasant air about him.

He looks like an overgrown Zachary Quinto.

by Anonymousreply 71July 24, 2019 3:12 AM

I'm glad Opelka has drawn Isner again in the early round of a tournament. Hopefully he can upset him again. I hope they keep running into each other in as many rounds as possible. I never want to see any Isner-Opelka finals. We've been spared of Isner-Karlovic clashes for the most part

by Anonymousreply 72July 24, 2019 3:20 AM

*in as many early rounds as possible

by Anonymousreply 73July 24, 2019 3:21 AM

Grigor lost again. Is he finished?

by Anonymousreply 74July 24, 2019 6:13 AM

Grigor and Tiafoe training really was uneffective (unless it was all about looking hot shirtless, in that case it was a success).

Grigor case is worrying, he is going down very fast, but Tiafoe is living of his success on Australia, and you need an extra effort to lose with Tomic nowadays. Tomic is one of the biggest bluffs in this century

by Anonymousreply 75July 24, 2019 2:29 PM

Titsy and Kyrgios signed up to play doubles together.

by Anonymousreply 76July 24, 2019 8:45 PM

LMFAO Opelka now 3-0 against Isner this year! All tiebreaks. 3-1 overall

I hope Isner keeps drawing Opelka in as many early rounds as possible. That seems to be the only way from stopping him besides top players

by Anonymousreply 77July 25, 2019 1:50 AM

Why are so many Euros playing clay this summer? That doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense. Also, Jeremy Chardy is really hot. He doesn't get his due on DL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78July 25, 2019 12:04 PM

It doesn't make sense at all, specially if you are a top player with options to do a good US Open

by Anonymousreply 79July 25, 2019 12:30 PM

Chardy looks hot in that pic.

by Anonymousreply 80July 25, 2019 4:44 PM

I am unfollowing Monfils on insta, he makes these ugly faces in his insta stories, I don't need to see what you look like when you listen to music....I can't take it anymore.

I can't wait for US Open!

by Anonymousreply 81July 25, 2019 5:00 PM

so is A. Zverev not playing in DC? I mean it would be hard to do well in Hamburg then fly to DC and do well there. He should be focusing on doing better at the slams, not taking appearance fees in a random German post-Wimbledon clay tournament.

by Anonymousreply 82July 25, 2019 5:15 PM

Nope Sasha is not on the player list. But Titsi is! Can't wait to see him in DC.

by Anonymousreply 83July 25, 2019 5:55 PM

I think he had a problem with the people of the tournamnet and that's the reason he won't play there

by Anonymousreply 84July 25, 2019 5:58 PM

He's a defending champion. He's such a dick.

by Anonymousreply 85July 25, 2019 6:05 PM

what problem did he have?

he seems like a diva

by Anonymousreply 86July 25, 2019 6:22 PM

It's a master 500. So he probably disagreed with the presentation fees (which do not apply for Master 1000 since they are mandatory for top players).

At least when you give $500,000 to Federer, you know he'll probably qualify for the final. Zverev is always a question mark: even if he gets only one fifth of what Federer gets, will he at least pass the first two rounds? No one knows. The guy is a liability.

by Anonymousreply 87July 25, 2019 6:48 PM

R87: To be fair, Zverev is a questionable mark this year, last year he was very regular (he even was regular at failing big time on the GS)

by Anonymousreply 88July 25, 2019 6:49 PM

I think he said the tournament director changed and the new guy hates him? It was in a press conference after a loss (might have been his loss in Wimbledon). He seemed very very angry about it, pretty dramatic... i'm sure there's more tea behind the scenes. And it probably has something to do with money.

Here's young Titsy and Nick before they squash their beef and play doubles together in DC... wonder how deep they'll go in the draw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 25, 2019 6:53 PM

For a while i thought Tsitsipas had a new haircut. I hate the Jesucrist superstar look

Tsitsipas/Kyrgios is an odd combination

by Anonymousreply 90July 25, 2019 6:56 PM

Greek Active/ Greek Passive

by Anonymousreply 91July 25, 2019 7:02 PM

2 half Greeks

by Anonymousreply 92July 25, 2019 7:29 PM

okay R91, no more beating around the bush: who's the top?

by Anonymousreply 93July 25, 2019 7:32 PM

Titsy got more ass.

by Anonymousreply 94July 25, 2019 9:09 PM

Titsy better watch out Kyrgios doesn't do a Nastase on him.

by Anonymousreply 95July 25, 2019 9:26 PM

R91? With those two it’s definitely Tsitsi bottom and Kyrgios top.

by Anonymousreply 96July 25, 2019 9:28 PM

I thought too R96. I wouldn't mind being sandwiched though;

by Anonymousreply 97July 25, 2019 9:36 PM

I love Titsi's jesus hair

by Anonymousreply 98July 25, 2019 10:19 PM

me, too R98

by Anonymousreply 99July 25, 2019 10:20 PM

I'm a fan of the hair as well; he's got the profile to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 100July 25, 2019 10:39 PM

Novak withdraws from coupe rogers.

"With the support of my team, I have decided to give my body longer rest and recovery time before coming back again to play. I love Canada and I have many friends there that always make me feel like I’m at home and I’m looking forward to coming back again to play in front of all of you in Montreal.”

by Anonymousreply 101July 25, 2019 10:49 PM

so A. Zverev and Lendl broke up! A. Zverev was complaining Lendl spent too much time talking about golf lol

by Anonymousreply 102July 26, 2019 1:09 AM

[quote] he seems like a diva

Seems?

by Anonymousreply 103July 26, 2019 2:51 AM

[quote] Novak withdraws from coupe rogers.

Is this where we talk about it?

by Anonymousreply 104July 26, 2019 2:53 AM

So nice that we won't be hearing from the Nole trolls during the Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 105July 26, 2019 3:07 AM

This random run to the title last year is just about the only points she has on her ranking.

Trump's fault? Lol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 26, 2019 3:09 AM

Nole.

by Anonymousreply 107July 26, 2019 3:16 AM

[quote] So nice that we won't be hearing from the Nole trolls during the Rogers.

I think there’s only one. A very vocal and persistent one though.

by Anonymousreply 108July 26, 2019 3:16 AM

Thiem lost to Rublev...on clay haha

by Anonymousreply 109July 26, 2019 2:47 PM

R101 Good.

by Anonymousreply 110July 26, 2019 3:04 PM

Krajinovic is HOPELESS. Was up 6-2, 5-2 against Flopos Zverev, and proceeded to lose 11 of the next 13 games. What a generous choke... fucking Sascha talking about "the crowd" helping him through.... LOL.

by Anonymousreply 111July 26, 2019 3:47 PM

I can't wait for US Open!

by Anonymousreply 112July 26, 2019 3:56 PM

R112 me too. I'd actually like to see Mama Serena win and tie Court there. Not sure she can though. Needs to improve her fitness. The first match she plays against an opponent of Haleps fitness level and she will struggle.

by Anonymousreply 113July 26, 2019 4:13 PM

Is Rublev clay specialist?

by Anonymousreply 114July 26, 2019 4:18 PM

Plus the top girls aren't afraid of Serena any more. They smell blood in the water. So to speak. She needs to up her game and fitness.

by Anonymousreply 115July 26, 2019 4:52 PM

Serena won't win another GS

by Anonymousreply 116July 26, 2019 4:59 PM

r116 = Margaret Court

by Anonymousreply 117July 26, 2019 5:01 PM

I would rather see Granny Vee have another moment in the sun. She was SO close to another slam final at Flushing Meadows in 2017 before Sloane Stephens stole the match away in the 11th hour. And I really think she would have beaten Keys in the final, who laid an egg on the big occasion.

Venus also loves playing in NY but has lost to the eventual champion NINE times at the US Open (as well as 3 eventual runner ups), usually falling dramatically in the SF against Clijsters, Serena, Henin, Hingis, Davenport, etc. after giving them their toughest match of the championship.

Even though she's been injured all year she's been making a real effort to improve (unlike Serena who despite the bigger results has been focused on celebrity work), playing warm up events etc. Would be nice to see her rewarded for her efforts and it would relax her a bit in terms of Olympic qualification.

by Anonymousreply 118July 26, 2019 5:17 PM

I know it's still a year out but I cant see Venus qualifying for Olympics singles. The young American women are only going to get better.

by Anonymousreply 119July 26, 2019 5:27 PM

I think she has an outside chance, especially if Madison Keys stays injured (sorry Maddy lol). It helps that the points started accruing during the grass season, and aside from Serena and Alison Riske (who is unlikely to go on any huge runs outside of grass and Asian tournaments) they almost all lost early at Wimbledon.

So I see Serena and Sloth Stephens as being likely (the latter always manages to put together one good run in amongst all the shit performances), with Kenin/Collins/Venus/Keys fighting for the last two spots. Perhaps Riske if she keeps up the good form.

Anisimova is obviously only going to get better but you have to play THREE Fed Cups from 2018 to 2019, and she has played zero (even the Williamses have played one), unlikely to be able to complete all 3 before Tokyo. And her great run at the French means nothing for her Tokyo qualification. Kenin has done well so far with Mallorca title but most of her results are at the international level, and only the best 16 results are counted towards Tokyo (I believe) with most of them having to be slam or PM.

Gauff is too young to get enough tournaments and Fed Cup appearances to make it this time. So Venus is still in the mix, but she's quite lucky that the others flopped at Wimbledon too because that should have been her biggest opportunity for a big ranking points haul between now and Tokyo. The last two Olympics she went on a tear to make it in, but obviously her body is in worse shape this time around.

by Anonymousreply 120July 26, 2019 5:48 PM

If Serena loses weight, she might have a chance. She took a picture of a plate of salad on her insta story, said it was a salad kind of day, last week. We shall see if she was really stuffing her face with salad next month.

by Anonymousreply 121July 26, 2019 7:12 PM

Serena is totally out of form but she keeps reaching the finals, so she clearly has chances but she needs to be in better form because she didn't have a chance at the last three GS finals

by Anonymousreply 122July 26, 2019 7:13 PM

This was Kenin in Mallorca.... is that a MAGA hat?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 26, 2019 7:17 PM

pin-up Paire

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 26, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]A. Zverev and Lendl broke up. Zverev was complaining Lendl spent too much time talking about golf

Lendl's words: "I have a lot of belief in Sascha who is still very young. I think that one day he may become a great player but currently he has some off court issues that make it difficult to work in a way that is consistent with my philosophy."

by Anonymousreply 125July 26, 2019 9:29 PM

[quote] he may become a great player

Emphasis on “may”.

by Anonymousreply 126July 26, 2019 9:39 PM

I don’t understand the physical appeal of Paire.

by Anonymousreply 127July 26, 2019 9:40 PM

R123 not a Kenin fan here but it may have been her fed cup team hat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128July 26, 2019 10:25 PM

DC draws out.

Tsitsipas/Khachanov and Stephens/Keys are the top 2 seeds for each

by Anonymousreply 129July 26, 2019 10:29 PM

Good spotting R128.

Venus' latest youtube vlog has some generous footage of Tiafoe from behind! Starts at roughly 55 seconds in. Domi who?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 26, 2019 10:30 PM

R130 I've been saying for a while now Tiafoe has a great ass. Of all the #NextGen he has the GOAT ass. If he can only get back to winning he could be really popular. This year he's only done well at the AO and Miami. Those are obviously 2 very big events but the rest of the year he's barely won a match

by Anonymousreply 131July 26, 2019 10:34 PM

R131 Truly! And whoever Vee's cameraperson is, needs a raise for capturing it so beautifully. The shot at 4:38 is sublime lol.

I do think he needs some work on his technique though. The drive/mentality/effort is there, the fitness seems to be there as well. But that giant wind-up on his big scooping forehand leaks errors any time an opponent rushes him (which is often). His netplay is abysmal. And his serve can cave under pressure too.

by Anonymousreply 132July 26, 2019 10:47 PM

San Jose draw out now too

Svitolina/Sabalenka are the top 2 seeds

plenty of great players there from Venus to Azarenka

DL fave Vandeweghe makes her return to singles via WC

by Anonymousreply 133July 27, 2019 2:46 AM

Just turned on to watch Hamburg and when they did the first close-up of Rublev, I involuntarily audibly recoiled. Pretty, he isn't. Now Pablo Carreno Busta on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 134July 27, 2019 3:41 PM

He is not pretty, but he has an amazing forehand. I'm happy he is back after so many injuries (he was ahead of Khachanov and Medveded just two years ago, in fact he was the second best next gen behind Zverev)

by Anonymousreply 135July 27, 2019 7:04 PM

Rublev comes from a Beautiful country with a Great Terrific leader. I think the constitution should be changed so that he can be a VP to the more than fuckable Ivanka.

by Anonymousreply 136July 27, 2019 8:13 PM

R136: Shapo, why are you writing here?

by Anonymousreply 137July 27, 2019 8:57 PM

Palermo final

Bertens vs Teichmann

Baltic Open

Sevastova vs Kawa

by Anonymousreply 138July 27, 2019 9:02 PM

Sorry but i find a little pathetic that Bertens is playing these kind of tournaments. She is a fucking top 5 (the second seed was Cornet who was outside top 50)

by Anonymousreply 139July 27, 2019 9:09 PM

De Miñaur defeated Opelka.

Is really amazing that someone without big weapons like Alex is able to compete that well (maybe his serve, his forehand and backhand don't get him fast points but he is one of the fastest players on tour)

by Anonymousreply 140July 28, 2019 10:08 AM

Alex is a pit bull, mentally. He never gives up.

by Anonymousreply 141July 28, 2019 10:54 AM

R141: That's the only way to understand his early success.

He played with Davidovich in Spain when they were young, Alex was one of the top players but not the top player. Davidovich has bigger weapons and even an arsenal of tricks, but in terms of mentality he is a mess.

De Miñaur reminds me of Hewitt without the bad attitude, he is fast and he is focused. With Nadal and Djokovic playing i don't know if that will be good enough to get a GS, but when they retire (and i doubt Nadal will last more than a couple of seasons) things can be different

by Anonymousreply 142July 28, 2019 11:05 AM

[quote]De Miñaur reminds me of Hewitt without the bad attitude

Yes. He's very fun to watch. Kinda like lil Diego.

by Anonymousreply 143July 28, 2019 1:06 PM

He had some throwing the raquets moments, but on interviews he seems very shy and polite.

On Hamburg Nikoloz realized once again that he can be a great player if he wants and won again the title. Good week for Rublev too

by Anonymousreply 144July 28, 2019 1:15 PM

Someone should tell Coco Gauff that it's ok being ambtious but the "i wanna be the best tennis player ever" is better to reserve it to when she has at least 20 GS

by Anonymousreply 145July 28, 2019 5:31 PM

What the hell is that trophy in Palermo. Looks like a kid did it as a craft project.

by Anonymousreply 146July 28, 2019 7:39 PM

Oh dear. Berents goes to that kind of tournament. She doesn't tank on round 1 and run away as soon as possible. She goes though the whole week, only to lose in the final?

by Anonymousreply 147July 28, 2019 8:04 PM

Weird loss for Bertens, and yes weird that she wanted to play this tournament (I think she was there holidaying and signed up). It's not like she NEEDS to vulture wins either. She can hang with the top girls. In fact I think she is 3rd on the tour when it comes to top 10 wins this year. In Madrid alone she beat Halep, Stephens, Kvitova, Sevastova, Ostapenko, and Siniakova on clay in one week, without dropping a set. That's much tougher than most slam draws. Why did she struggle with this ITF level final and draw? Bizarre scheduling choice when she has to defend Cincinnati in just a few weeks.

Sevastova wins at home in Jurmala, Latvia in three tight sets. Not her best tennis but it was clear there was a lot of pressure. The success of this event sticking around on the tour was basically resting on her shoulders all week after Ostapenko got eliminated in round 1.

Alison Van Uytvanck is playing a WTA 125k event in Germany, and has drawn her real life girlfriend Greet Minnen in the first round! I wonder what the post-match exchange will be like. GAY RIGHTS.

by Anonymousreply 148July 28, 2019 8:12 PM

^ there aint gonna be no rug munchin after that match!

by Anonymousreply 149July 28, 2019 9:00 PM

I have such a crush on De Minaur. Yum.

by Anonymousreply 150July 28, 2019 10:19 PM

Nice win for de Minaur. Let's hope he celebrates by shaving that godawful fringe off his upper lip.

by Anonymousreply 151July 28, 2019 10:27 PM

Oh yes there will be r149! Lesbians, the lot of them!

by Anonymousreply 152July 28, 2019 10:43 PM

[quote] She can hang with the top girls.

So much fun! They can discuss all the men. Good times. (Sigh)

by Anonymousreply 153July 28, 2019 10:44 PM

Bertens was dumb for playing Palermo and not winning the title. She has her Cincinnati defense to worry about.

I'm glad Basilashvili won another title. If only he could be more consistent he could challenge for bigger titles. It was fun watching him take out A. Zverev yesterday

by Anonymousreply 154July 28, 2019 10:51 PM

Alex is a cute twink. I would love to see big dick Hewitt fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 155July 29, 2019 7:00 AM

I must be missing something.... y'all really find him sexy? He looks like a 12 year old rat. And what is with the Hitler moustache and Nazi Youth haircut?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156July 29, 2019 7:17 AM

DL faves Bouchard and Davis will square off first round of DC today!

by Anonymousreply 157July 29, 2019 8:12 AM

Why does Bouchard continue to play? She could be a Social Media influencer. #goals

by Anonymousreply 158July 29, 2019 11:52 AM

[quote] Why does Bouchard continue to play?

Is really amazing she does.

by Anonymousreply 159July 29, 2019 1:16 PM

Gay rights!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160July 29, 2019 3:27 PM

Ernesto Escobedo (coached by JM Gambill) won the Granby Challenger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161July 29, 2019 4:58 PM

When was the last time Escobedo won anything? He almost defines promise unfulfilled.

by Anonymousreply 162July 29, 2019 5:02 PM

ooh I like that pairing

by Anonymousreply 163July 29, 2019 5:07 PM

Is A Zverev the next gen Grigor?

by Anonymousreply 164July 29, 2019 5:12 PM

Gambill Escobedo makes sense. Both are power hitting baseliners who aren't the best movers and have a decent first serve.

by Anonymousreply 165July 29, 2019 5:17 PM

[quote] Is A Zverev the next gen Grigor?

A Flopos you mean?

by Anonymousreply 166July 29, 2019 5:18 PM

to be fair A. Zverev has already achieved way more than Dimitrov at a much younger age. The only thing missing is going deeper at the slams. If he flops at the USO it would be a big disappointment for him but he's not "over". He has several years to get his act together and he's still deeply entrenched in the top 10. Dimitrov is spinning out of control

Curious to see how he'll fare in Los Cabos this week. Good news for him is he's drawn Johnson who is already struggling to win matches this season

by Anonymousreply 167July 29, 2019 5:22 PM

Grigor caught the attention of people at a young age, the whole baby Federer thing and he was on the verge of defeating Nadal very young, but the truth is he won his first title quite old.

Zverev has achieved way more than Dimitrov, this was not a good season for Alexander but he has time (but he should start to change at GS as soon as possible, i'm not talking about winning, i'm talking about reaching second week for a change).

Curiously he could easily lose being the number one of the next gen this week. He will slip at least a position (Nishikori is already ahead him). Tsitsipas with a decent performance could reach number 5. Of course Tsitsipas has to defend a lot of points at the Rogers cup, but he probably win points on the american hard courts swing because his results at Cincinatti and the US Open last year were far from great

by Anonymousreply 168July 29, 2019 6:12 PM

Being labeled "Baby Fed" seems to be a curse. Gasquet was the first to get that nickname even though his game is all about his backhand rather than forehand. Gasquet of course initially did very well on the men's tour and looked like a contender for big titles but has since fallen to middling status. He hasn't been a factor in such a long time.

Dimitrov didn't have instant success when he joined the tour but really started coming into his own in his mid-20s. It seems now that he just benefited from the year when the big 4 were up and down with their form and health. Since the return of the big 3, Dimitrov not only lost to them but he lost to a lot of other players too.

Tsitsipas is the next guy getting the "Baby Fed" label. Hopefully he won't have the same fate as Gasquet and Dimitrov.

by Anonymousreply 169July 29, 2019 6:37 PM

Tsitsipas will need to make it to the semis this week in DC to surpass Flopzy.

by Anonymousreply 170July 29, 2019 7:18 PM

You only need to watch the Les petits as match between Gasquet and Nadal when they were both 12 to watch how fearless Gasquet was as a kid. His game was way more aggressive.

Like Rafa, he defeated Roger in their first match, but for some reason he never fullfiled the player he was destined to be. I don't know if him being shy and the so much pressure French federation put on him crushed his potential, but he only was a shadow of what he was meant to be.

I remember watching him playing against Murray, and during a short period of time he totally destroyed Andy. Andy's game was useless, but after a few moments he started to choke and he ended losing very clearly the match.

The worst thing is that he became one of those top players that you know for sure he is going to lose against any of the big 3 without even giving them a fight

by Anonymousreply 171July 29, 2019 7:22 PM

Novak seems to be having a lot of fun on court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172July 29, 2019 7:37 PM

Does this Novak practice dick out rather than boobs out?

by Anonymousreply 173July 29, 2019 7:41 PM

Is Pam Shriver still married to a man? Is she still hiding in the closet at the age of 69? I wonder if Martina marrying a much younger woman broke Pam's heart. Deep down Pam probably thought she would end up with Martina.

Who is Chrissy Evert's pencil banging these days? Has she ever had a dip in the lady pond?

by Anonymousreply 174July 29, 2019 7:46 PM

[quote] Has she ever had a dip in the lady pond?

They all have. All of them!

by Anonymousreply 175July 29, 2019 7:49 PM

You too, Mrs Court?

by Anonymousreply 176July 29, 2019 7:51 PM

[quote] You too, Mrs Court?

I am not one of “them”. I am a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 177July 29, 2019 7:58 PM

[Quote] I am a Christian.

A Christian what? Stripper? Bag lady? Slumlord ? Scientist? Lezzie?

by Anonymousreply 178July 29, 2019 8:13 PM

Strange, r176, but in one of Navratilova’s murder mysteries (I think it was the first, [italic]The Total Zone[/italic], but I might be mistaken) there’s a female tennis player who’s a bible-thumping fundie but always travels with her “special secretary” who is obviously her lover. I’ve always thought this was a none-too-subtle reference to Court.

by Anonymousreply 179July 29, 2019 8:14 PM

Hahaha, R172!

by Anonymousreply 180July 29, 2019 8:15 PM

R179 that is hilarious! Added to my reading list.

R171 I do think the French Federation has a real knack for turning talented juniors into chokers under enormous pressure. Gasquet was set up to be an incredible player and crumbled as he developed. Monfils won three junior slams in a row and had all the talent in the world (in France he was getting almost Cori Gauff-levels of expectations). The main thing stopping him was mentality. And now, his body. Because the skill is STILL there.

Even on the female side Amelie Mauresmo could not perform at home (like at all) and still choked away a lot of big matches (as did Mary Fierce). Caroline Garcia has amazing movement, one of the best serves on tour, huge forehand and backhand, a superb net game, and is good on all surfaces.... in 2017 she defeated basically every top player in the game in the space of a just two weeks (Halep, Kvitova, Wozniacki, Barty, Kerber, Svitolina). She just lost in the second round of the Jurmala Latvia tournament to a French player ranked outside the top 100. Something isn't working.

Meldonia and Venus have taken wild cards into the Western and Southern Open. Huge field, basically every top player is there according to their website

by Anonymousreply 181July 29, 2019 8:55 PM

PHH is hot.

by Anonymousreply 182July 29, 2019 9:49 PM

Tsitsipas has a nice body but I wish he would cut his hair.

by Anonymousreply 183July 30, 2019 12:09 AM

I love Jo-Wilfred...he is adorable. Bouchard stinking up the joint to Lauren Davis who is playing very well. They mentioned how Bouchard has a ton of social media followers for some reason - who knows why, she seems like an asshole - but they questioned of it has affected her focus.

by Anonymousreply 184July 30, 2019 1:34 AM

Davis def. Bouchard 6-1 6-2 ouch. I thought it'd be closer than that.

I wonder if Canada will give Genie a WC again

by Anonymousreply 185July 30, 2019 2:22 AM

Jo-Willy is still such a dreamboat. I'd love to see him have another big run! Rooting for him to upset Karen K tomorrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186July 30, 2019 2:30 AM

Tsonga is another underachiever. Very talented, powerful, athletic but he's prone to injury and choking. In GOAT form he can beat anyone and top players consecutively but it just doesn't come that often for him.

by Anonymousreply 187July 30, 2019 2:38 AM

Karen Hemsworth

by Anonymousreply 188July 30, 2019 2:58 AM

Team Karen

by Anonymousreply 189July 30, 2019 3:02 AM

Karen Team

by Anonymousreply 190July 30, 2019 3:05 AM

DL fave Coco wins over Bouzkova

by Anonymousreply 191July 30, 2019 3:52 AM

Pam Shriver is an odd duck - doesn’t seem gay or straight to me. She’s only had those two very strange heterosexual marriages (the first to a guy with terminal cancer and the second to George Lazenby, who was old enough to be her grandpa). Chrissie, on the other hand, used to be so cock hungry but doesn’t seem to have had a man in her life since Greg Norman. Maybe she just has an extensive vibrator collection these days.

by Anonymousreply 192July 30, 2019 8:17 AM

Do you have a vibrator collection too, Margaret? Do you fantasise about Billy Jean, Rosie, Yvonne, Virginia and Chrissy when you pleasure yourself?

by Anonymousreply 193July 30, 2019 8:34 AM

I knew it was too good to be true that Coco V was replaced by Coco G. She obviously heard all the news the new Coco was getting and decided to come back.

Buzarnescu was the defending champ in San Jose and got knocked out by Kasatkina in R1. She immediately drops down to 122 in the world. Might be near the end for the Romanian.

Why is Bethanie Mattek Sands still getting WCs? She hasn't even played a singles match since the French Open LAST year. Aside from the fact that she's obnoxious and got a TUE for anabolic steroids (lol), she has had so many WCs throughout her career and still not achieved anything in singles. Is she really that much of a crowd draw? I can't imagine anyone going to a tournament just because they might see superstar Bethanie.

Scalp her Venus.

by Anonymousreply 194July 30, 2019 9:03 AM

Is Granny Vee single these days? Is she family or just asexual?

by Anonymousreply 195July 30, 2019 9:06 AM

R195, I don’t know that Jehova’s Witnesses [italic]can[/italic] be gay, can they?

by Anonymousreply 196July 30, 2019 9:58 AM

Vee used to give me asexual vibes (one of those women who just loves her family so much and never thinks to find friends or lovers - she is happy to follow Serena around, lose to her in finals, give gracious runner up speeches, and beg to play doubles with her). But after Serena had that baby she's talked more about having kids in the future. I think Vee is just very independent. She runs her two companies and is OBSESSED with her dog. She has had some good white peen in the past and is a renowned cougar, but probably doesn't have the time (or doesn't care enough) to settle down with a man.

Having said that she just recently dumped that billionaire heir and has followed her ex back (he's in his early 40s I think - pictured below). Has been hanging out with Grigor Dimitrov a bit more lately, and she and Tiafoe were also chatting it up at World Team Tennis and looked very chummy in her Youtube video. He seems very serious about his girlfriend though...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 30, 2019 10:27 AM

I'll miss Granny Vee when she retires from tennis. She's been a sane breath of fresh air amidst all the hysterical, mental midget drama queens of the WITA.

by Anonymousreply 198July 30, 2019 11:20 AM

Venus is an odd one. She seemed to willingly cede her place in tennis to her sister.

by Anonymousreply 199July 30, 2019 11:28 AM

She really is such a calming and elegant force, truly the elder stateswoman of the tour. Just gets on with the job (and has given us a lot of great matches over the years - in my opinion her movement and hitting in her prime hasn't been matched since). I'm still mad she didn't win a slam in 2017. But it's truly remarkable she's still playing... this is a woman who was in the same main draws as Martina Navratilova in the early 90s!

ALSO: this is bizarre but 2004 Olympic Gold medalist Nicolas Massu is playing doubles in Austrian Open with Thiem's brother! This must mean he's been available for doping tests (and presumably has performed them) all these years since his retirement, just in case? Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200July 30, 2019 11:30 AM

woeful loss for Stephens just now to Peterson of all people. She was spraying the ball left and right

by Anonymousreply 201July 30, 2019 7:41 PM

Peterson had never beaten a top 20 player. Sloane was the #1 seed and managed to hit 45 unforced errors in only 2 sets.

I don't think there's anyone who's a more surefire waste of an appearance fee these days...

by Anonymousreply 202July 30, 2019 7:56 PM

Sloane should be fined for tanking that match. She gave that break back in the 2nd set and it was not subtle. God her work ethic sucks. She'll be totally shown up by Coco Gauf .

by Anonymousreply 203July 30, 2019 8:05 PM

She just wanted to head to Toronto early and be with her fiance. I really don't know why she hasn't been fined by the WTA by now. Her tanking is even more obvious than Tomic's.

by Anonymousreply 204July 30, 2019 8:17 PM

Once fit-fat, now fat-fat Jack Sock - with a beard like Benoit Paire (and Osama bin Laden) - lost to ozzie pornstache Steve Johnson in straight sets.

All the while polyglot Mladonna took care of American Shelby Rogers in straight sets too.

by Anonymousreply 205July 30, 2019 8:35 PM

Ugh, Sloth Stephens continues to disappoint. I love her overall game but her attitude really sucks.

by Anonymousreply 206July 30, 2019 8:36 PM

Her game sucks she is a total defensive player R206. Steve Johnson is American R205.

by Anonymousreply 207July 30, 2019 8:40 PM

Good God: Tiafoe technique is so ugly: the serve and especially the forehand.

Alexander Bublick was a ugly duckling as a teenager but his looks seem to improve as he ages.

by Anonymousreply 208July 30, 2019 8:59 PM

[quote] Steve Johnson is American [R205]

I think he meant Jordan Thompson...they both have pornstaches lol

here's Domi's bum from his documentary (Thiem Spirit)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209July 30, 2019 9:21 PM

Jordan Thompson is hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 30, 2019 9:33 PM

Sorry, yeah, I got confused between my pornstaches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 30, 2019 10:27 PM

[quote] the second to George Lazenby, who was old enough to be her grandpa

But he was Bond! James Bond!

by Anonymousreply 212July 30, 2019 10:34 PM

Bublik what a nutty player he is. One 1 hand it's fun that you don't know what he's going to do point to point but on the other he makes a lot of stupid decisions. He's going to piss off a lot of players with his mixing in of underhanded serves and sometimes a 2nd serve bomb. I want to see how the big 3 handle him. Tiafoe went up 6-1 3-1 before Bublik went up 5-3 and served for it and Tiafoe eventually won in a tiebreak. Tiafoe finally decided on match point to step way in for the return and Bublik double faulted. Frances basically dared him to hit another underhanded serve or another 2nd serve ace and Bublik blinked.

by Anonymousreply 213July 30, 2019 10:48 PM

omg Keys lost to 17 year old #283 Hailey Baptiste. Didn't see the match so don't know how she plays but whoa

by Anonymousreply 214July 31, 2019 1:01 AM

The Cori Gauff money train continues to roll. She lost in the opening round of main draw at DC to Zarina Diyas, but since she can't play a full schedule yet, her team are having her do this exhibition against the world #1.

Everyone says her parents seem so nice but from the outside they (and Federer's management company) look like complete vultures. I hope she's able to come out of this disproportionate hype unscathed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 31, 2019 3:28 AM

omg Venus. I think she needs to retire. She's really had some horrendous losses this year. Losing to fucking Mattek Sands is the lowest of lows. Embarrassing. I hate seeing her lose to scrubs like this.

by Anonymousreply 216July 31, 2019 4:30 AM

Venus completes a trio of embarrassing losses from the 'American elite' (her, Sloane, Madison). Hers may be the worst though. I've seen a lot of cringeworthy losses for her over the years but that one is up there.

Having said that, I saw a bit of the 3rd set on Tennis Channel, and they brought up a graphic that Bethanie Mattek Sands hit 14 winners and only 2 unforced errors in that second set? Since when has she been capable of playing that well? I noticed the crowd was rooting really hard for her (much more than Cali native Venus) which surprised me, I missed most of the match but maybe she was playing amazing?

What a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 217July 31, 2019 4:42 AM

The American Kwaitkowski.... who played Kyrgios in DC is gorgeous. He could be a model. Finally a beautiful American player. He played very well too.

by Anonymousreply 218July 31, 2019 3:54 PM

Kwiatkowski looks not unlike Mackenzie McDonald. There are some beautiful American players in the second tier. Marcos Giron is another Amercian who could model on the side.

Unfortunately we're stuck with Querrey and Sandgren and Opelka for a while.

by Anonymousreply 219July 31, 2019 4:41 PM

“Tennis” Sandgren, DEP

by Anonymousreply 220July 31, 2019 4:44 PM

update from Los Cabos yesterday:

Garin is now on a FIVE match losing streak

Dimitrov barely edges past Johnson but it's a win

Fritz maintains his momentum

Sandgren destroyed by Taro Daniel, getting just 2 games

by Anonymousreply 221July 31, 2019 4:46 PM

Thank you, Taro Daniel.

by Anonymousreply 222July 31, 2019 5:23 PM

Taro team

by Anonymousreply 223July 31, 2019 5:28 PM

Fritz is doing well but i was surprised at how superior Alex de Miñaur was in their match

by Anonymousreply 224July 31, 2019 5:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225July 31, 2019 6:00 PM

Why are you posting porn in every fucking thread.

We are adults, we know how to look for porn if we want, this is a tennis thread, unless a tennis player decides to go porn star this shouldn't be here

by Anonymousreply 226July 31, 2019 6:12 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227July 31, 2019 6:14 PM

lmao well well well...super repub and Trumpista Isner has a new sponsor...a cbd oil company! but but but how does this keep in line with the repub thinking that all marijuana products are the devil? true there is no thc in the oil but repubs have slammed all marijuana products

by Anonymousreply 228July 31, 2019 6:36 PM

DL fave Sandgren lost against Taro Daniel 62 60

by Anonymousreply 229July 31, 2019 6:38 PM

R229, are you also R221?

by Anonymousreply 230July 31, 2019 6:44 PM

This is tennis thread not porn thread!

by Anonymousreply 231July 31, 2019 6:45 PM

R230: No, sorry, i didn't realize that result was posted already

by Anonymousreply 232July 31, 2019 6:51 PM

R231: He is doing it in every thread

by Anonymousreply 233July 31, 2019 6:51 PM

I need more Febreze for rooms 225 and 227!

by Anonymousreply 234July 31, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote] He is doing it in every thread

Is he porn specialist?

by Anonymousreply 235July 31, 2019 6:57 PM

FAA defeated Opelka

by Anonymousreply 236July 31, 2019 9:03 PM

If Felix wins in the next round he'll be in the top 20 for the first time and may overtake Raonic to become top Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 237July 31, 2019 9:08 PM

With his new teeth and, God forbid, what looks like to be a dye job, Andy looks more and more like one of the later incarnates of Rupert Everett.

He's totally getting a hair transplant before he turns 35, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 31, 2019 9:22 PM

[quote]I wonder if Canada will give Genie a WC again

They did, she received one for Toronto (Rogers Cup)

by Anonymousreply 239July 31, 2019 9:23 PM

Raonic is over. FAA deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 240July 31, 2019 9:25 PM

[quote]She received a WC for Toronto (Rogers Cup)

How did it work so far for the tournament giving out WC to Genie?

2014: 2R

2015: 1R

2016: 3R

2017: 1R

2018: 1R

At least the expectations are quite low.

by Anonymousreply 241July 31, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote] may overtake Raonic to become top Canadian.

Finally a human as top Canadian rather than a pig.

by Anonymousreply 242July 31, 2019 9:57 PM

is Andreescu playing the Rogers Cup? Is she still alive?

by Anonymousreply 243July 31, 2019 10:05 PM

[quote] I need more Febreze for rooms 225 and 227!—Conchita

That’s to cover the stench from the vile and unnatural misuse of female body parts for purposes other than those which The Lord intended!

by Anonymousreply 244August 1, 2019 12:24 AM

Andreescu is indeed playing the Rogers Cup. It's where she's planning to make her 'big return', but she was slated to return earlier... i'm not that confident she'll be at full strength. If it wasn't a home tournament I don't think she'd be there.

These girls really need to learn how to schedule, especially the ones with a history of broken bodies. Buzarnescu had the same thing, playing singles and doubles in every week before it finally fucked her over. Andreescu the same thing, just because she played Miami immediately after winning Newport Beach Indian Wells (when she was already injured for most of the year and had played more matches than anyone).

Barty and Vondrousova have the right idea. They have only played a small handful of events but have gone QF or better in all but two of them. And in most of those they were playing doubles as well.

Lauren Davis def. Sofia Kenin

Aryna Sabalenka def. Coco Vandeweghe

by Anonymousreply 245August 1, 2019 2:14 AM

Los Cabos: Pella sweeps Dimitrov

Kokkinakis upsets Pouille

San Jose: CSN ends Mattek's comeback

DC: Tsitsipas and Kyrgios both win their singles matches

Mladenovic wins 2 matches in a row!

by Anonymousreply 246August 1, 2019 5:47 AM

Is Mladbitch on PEDs?

by Anonymousreply 247August 1, 2019 7:07 AM

Pouille has 8 first round losses in 14 tournaments this year. That AO semi final run is looking more and more flukey by the day.

by Anonymousreply 248August 1, 2019 8:43 AM

Wow, so Grigor is pretty much everyone's bitch these days.

by Anonymousreply 249August 1, 2019 10:15 AM

Lauren Davis is really bringing it. All 5'2" of her.

Watched a bit of CoCo and Sabelnka . Pathetic. Neither one can serve.

by Anonymousreply 250August 1, 2019 12:14 PM

Well, Coco's serve was her biggest strenght in the past, if she can't serve, she is over

by Anonymousreply 251August 1, 2019 1:24 PM

A. Murray

J. Murray

by Anonymousreply 252August 1, 2019 1:43 PM

Misery and brother team

by Anonymousreply 253August 1, 2019 2:18 PM

Coming to appreciate Little Lauren in her comeback. I have watched a bit of her since Wimbledon and it's crazy how big she hits for her size (as well as her obviously terrific defence). Her backhand has a lot of sting on it. She almost plays like a Camila Giorgi but with slightly less power and speed, but a LOT more margin. Or like an Amanda Coetzer type player. If she can keep her momentum going I think she could be a top 20 mainstay (maybe top 10 after the big retirement wave that is likely due upon us next year).

by Anonymousreply 254August 1, 2019 2:32 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 1, 2019 2:33 PM

Is Kyrgios mentally ill or is it an act?

by Anonymousreply 256August 1, 2019 2:39 PM

R256, I don’t think it’s an act. Kyrgios cannot accept the responsibility that goes along with having talent.

by Anonymousreply 257August 1, 2019 3:01 PM

^^^Got it in one, r257.

by Anonymousreply 258August 1, 2019 5:16 PM

Kyrgios is talented at something he doesn't really like.

by Anonymousreply 259August 1, 2019 5:20 PM

Like a lot of Australian boys (I live here), it's pretty clear that in his head Kyrgios envisions himself as a black NBA player. With all the bling, partying, street talk, and urban credibility etc. that goes along with that. The sooner he stops trying to be one and decides to make the most of his talent the better. But that may never happen.

I really do find his game entertaining. He reminds me of a more consistent (but slightly less spectacular) Dustin Brown. Who ironically was engaged to Kyrgios' sister before breaking it up. I saw them at the Greek church in Melbourne one year all together.

by Anonymousreply 260August 1, 2019 5:46 PM

Kyrgios goes to church? haha

by Anonymousreply 261August 1, 2019 6:12 PM

R257: I think it goes beyond that. I think he is simply scared, he is scared that his talent is not enough, scared that maybe even if he takes tennis seriously he won't win a GS anyway.

Because even he is obviously talented there's no guarantee that he has the other things (apart of tennis skills) that are needed to become a champion.

All the bad boy pose is simply a way to avoid the possibility of fail.

Of course he has some extra issues. It's curious that when he started his career he was involved in controversy but it was not him but his rival the one he behaved badly (racist slurs)

by Anonymousreply 262August 1, 2019 6:21 PM

Sounds about right R262

by Anonymousreply 263August 1, 2019 6:34 PM

REALLY looking forward to Cilic vs. FAA today

by Anonymousreply 264August 1, 2019 6:41 PM

Are you on Cilic team or FAA team?

by Anonymousreply 265August 1, 2019 6:49 PM

Felix really got a tough draw

by Anonymousreply 266August 1, 2019 6:51 PM

FAA team but it's a good step up opportunity for him. He beat baby Isner the other day (and remember he should have beaten Isner in Miami).

by Anonymousreply 267August 1, 2019 7:00 PM

Cilic is not at his best, so Felix should have chances. He could finally get into the top 20 in this tournament

by Anonymousreply 268August 1, 2019 7:07 PM

Another one of the higher ranked US girls bites the dust.

Danielle 'Rose' Collins gets clobbered by moonballing Chinese vulture Zheng Saisai, 62 60. SF points from last year drop off.

Looks like none of these girls wanna qualify for the Olympics anyway...

by Anonymousreply 269August 1, 2019 7:54 PM

I thought we were going to get tired of her winning?

by Anonymousreply 270August 1, 2019 8:01 PM

[quote]Danielle 'Rose' Collins gets clobbered by moonballing Chinese vulture Zheng Saisai, 6-2 6-0

That's the thing with the Collins: you become concerned, and from there you only go downhilll.

by Anonymousreply 271August 1, 2019 8:11 PM

A bit much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272August 1, 2019 9:46 PM

Raonic and FAA lose less than a minute apart

by Anonymousreply 273August 1, 2019 10:12 PM

It will be interesting to see both dealing with the pressure to deliver in Toronto. FAA especially... i'm honestly expecting a lot of messy DFs.

I don't think it will matter to Shapovalov who isn't really Canadian and is out of form at the moment anyway. Andreescu seems fearless and competes with no pressure, but her body will likely let her down.

by Anonymousreply 274August 1, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote] hapovalov who isn't really Canadian

?

by Anonymousreply 275August 1, 2019 10:46 PM

wow did not expect flawed forehand and nutjob Paire to upset Isner but I'll take it!

by Anonymousreply 276August 2, 2019 2:06 AM

Is this where we talk about Rogers Cup?

by Anonymousreply 277August 2, 2019 2:55 AM

Will young Grigor be making any more stops on tour before the US Open? Does anyone know what his schedule might be? Will he be traveling on his own? Oh, I'm just curious is all. It's not that important. I'm just making conversation..

by Anonymousreply 278August 2, 2019 3:18 AM

another suprise

Vekic straight sets Azarenka

by Anonymousreply 279August 2, 2019 3:39 AM

The only surprise is that Azarenka was up a break in the second set and a double break (serving at 4-1) in the first set. I'm not sure what to make of her predicament. She has had a LOT of shit draws since her return, but even so it feels like every time she plays a good match or two, a terrible one is right around the corner.

Hsieh is the only female seed remaining after two rounds in DC. She had to survive a third set tiebreak against a tough Russian. Camila Giorgi and Mladonna are also in the QFs.

I really thought Kyrgios would struggle more against Nishioka, but he's through in straights. Ditto for his dubs partner Titsy who won in straights against Pornstache Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 280August 2, 2019 3:57 AM

Hot daddy Pella and cutie Diego will meet in the semis but they will play doubles later. Will they try to injure each other?

by Anonymousreply 281August 2, 2019 4:09 AM

Sad to see Felix unable to keep it together against Cilic, but this was pretty spectacular...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282August 2, 2019 5:44 AM

Cilic played well. FAA just couldn't find rhythm. He looked really cute though. Kyrgios was fun to watch, very entertaining. Nishioka was actually pretty impressive but Nick was serving really well.

by Anonymousreply 283August 2, 2019 12:21 PM

R281: Lil Diego talked recently about how much he loves Pella, it seems they are really good friends and the tournaments are always better when both reach the final rounds

by Anonymousreply 284August 2, 2019 1:28 PM

Kyrios threw water bottle at umpire's chair. This guy is really out of control. He needs anger mgmt.

He claimed water bottle slipped out of his hand!!! Can you believe this BS!? I can't believe he thinks people will buy this nonsense...he must think we are all 3 year olds like him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285August 2, 2019 3:50 PM

It's all part of the show. ^^

by Anonymousreply 286August 2, 2019 5:16 PM

But the show is a little out of control right now.

Kyrgios could be loved by fans, he has the spectacular kind of game a lot of casual fans love but he doesn't seem to even be the bad boy. He is lucky he is popular, but his luck could end drastically if he doesn't control himself

by Anonymousreply 287August 2, 2019 5:26 PM

Its funny in DC last night he has a lot of support but at times people were yelling get it together Nick! He engenders a lot of good will for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 288August 2, 2019 5:28 PM

I love Brett Haber and Paul Annacone. Is that weird?

by Anonymousreply 289August 2, 2019 6:02 PM

Ugh I hate how he thinks saying stuff like "it slipped out of my hand!" is funny. Reminds me of "I was just folding it up for him" when he smashed his racquet and gave it to someone in the crowd. Cue the canned Big Bang Theory laughter.

He's naturally entertaining and funny without needing to try so hard and be such a stunt queen. I bet he threw the bottle just so he could say that. Knowing full well it would be caught on camera and he could say that... would he have done it if the camera wasn't right there? In an exhibition match, for example? The answer is no.

He already garners enough attention without having to outwardly be an attention-seeker.

by Anonymousreply 290August 2, 2019 6:03 PM

[quote] He's naturally entertaining and funny without needing to try so hard

[quote] He already garners enough attention without having to outwardly be an attention-seeker.

I don’t understand these concepts.

by Anonymousreply 291August 2, 2019 6:09 PM

I would REALLY love a USO match between Djokovic and Kyrgios. Imagine that with the NY crowds...would be interesting

by Anonymousreply 292August 2, 2019 6:40 PM

All this CoCo G adulation is getting nutty. Michelle Obama kisses her ring? CoCo needs to really Do something before she gets that kind of praise. If she loses in Cincy it could be everyone has already figured her out. She could still grow and pound most of these women into the ground but she ain't there yet.

by Anonymousreply 293August 2, 2019 7:13 PM

Tracy Austin SHUT THE FUCK UP! Does this bitch ever stop talking. She is a humorless bore.

by Anonymousreply 294August 2, 2019 7:21 PM

R294 Her sister Pam was my boss many years ago when I worked at a tennis club. The whole family is like that.

by Anonymousreply 295August 2, 2019 8:56 PM

R294 Tracy really dissed her sister in her book - said she didn't call her to congratulate her after winning the USO. I mean poor Pam - your little sister comes along and outshines the whole family. I can imagine Tracy was a brat extraordinaire

by Anonymousreply 296August 2, 2019 9:15 PM

R296 I worked for Pam in the early '90s when I was in high school. It was a part time job where I worked in the pro shop, restringing racquets, and also teaching beginner tennis lessons to kids.

Pam was a humorless bitch. Tracy would come around the club during special events, and so would their brother John. I remember Pam getting all stressed out when they were around.

by Anonymousreply 297August 2, 2019 9:32 PM

Paire's beard is so ugly. He would look much better shaven.

by Anonymousreply 298August 3, 2019 12:11 AM

Totally agree, R298.

by Anonymousreply 299August 3, 2019 12:13 AM

Of course, R298, but Paire lives to annoy people.

by Anonymousreply 300August 3, 2019 12:13 AM

ok so THIS IS WHERE WE TALK ABOUT THE ROGERS CUP!!!

draws out and whew chile!!! some messy sections it's going to be fun

starting with men, Djokovic and Federer are certainly missed but it's still looking good

Nadal will likely open against De Minaur

Tsitsipas will open against the winner of Raonic/Fritz

lmfao scrub Polansky got a WC and he draws Monfils

Nishikori will open against the winner of an all-French flawed forehand battle Gasquet vs. Paire

Khachanov will open against Wawrinka or Dimitrov

FAA opens against another laughable WC in FLOP Pospisil

Thiem will open against winner of Shapovalov/Herbert

Women:

Barty has the toughest opening section which is surprising given she's #1. She'll open against Hsieh or Kenin

Azarenka vs. Giorgi

Konta vs. Yastremska

Venus vs. CSN

WC Sharapova vs. Kontaveit

lmfao Andreescu makes her return vs. WC Bouchard!! Who will the crowd cheer for?

Garcia vs. Ostapenko

Sabalenka vs. Anisimova

Keys vs. Vekic

how did Mladenovic get a WC???

Wozniacki vs. Putintseva

by Anonymousreply 301August 3, 2019 3:17 AM

[quote]how did Mladenovic get a WC???

Bitch I'm Mladonna

by Anonymousreply 302August 3, 2019 9:25 AM

I have a question for Margaret Court: Is Tracy Austin a lesbian too?

by Anonymousreply 303August 3, 2019 9:29 AM

Totally mad for the vagine r303!

by Anonymousreply 304August 3, 2019 9:42 AM

Thiem will skip Olympics to play Kitzbuhel next year

by Anonymousreply 305August 3, 2019 10:31 AM

Thiem will skip Olympics to play Kitzbuhel next year

by Anonymousreply 306August 3, 2019 10:31 AM

Which is one of the most absurd things i heard in a long time.

One thing is skip the olympics because those medals are not relevant at all for your tennis careers (so you have olympic spirit and want to represent your country or not). The fact that the big 3, and Murray really liked the Olympics doesn't mean everything has to feel the same.

But Thiem goes beyond and says he wants to go Paris 2024, which is ridiculous, because he doesn't know were he'll be in 2024

by Anonymousreply 307August 3, 2019 11:08 AM

Okay so I am really starting to sour on Titsi. Did you all see the sneaker incident? He has done the sneaker/lace thing in DC for 3 matches to upset his opponents momentum. His Dad laces up his new shoes and then the ball boy brings it to him! WTF. He doesn't have shoes at his court seat? What a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 308August 3, 2019 12:55 PM

What? We have has-been Tomic vs Never-Was Gulbis and no one told us about it? This match is cult!

by Anonymousreply 309August 3, 2019 9:33 PM

They're calling what Nick K is doing as a tank. What about Sloane Stephens low energy tank in the 1r? Nick is at least interesting. Sloane is just a dud.

by Anonymousreply 310August 4, 2019 12:20 AM

That Kyrgios-Titsy match was highly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 311August 4, 2019 1:34 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312August 4, 2019 5:49 AM

Little Diego won Los Cabos. 76 63 to Fritz in the final

by Anonymousreply 313August 4, 2019 8:49 AM

[quote]Kyrgios is such an attention whore. He asked a fan where he should serve, then he went to hug the fan after...

Anyone knows if that person is available for coaching?

by Anonymousreply 314August 4, 2019 9:58 AM

I single handedly mangled Andy Murray, Tomas Berdych and Grigor Dimitrov's careers and I am available.

by Anonymousreply 315August 4, 2019 10:06 AM

I was at the Tsitsipas / Kyrgios match and I have to say I came away a fan of NK. He is a clown but he is so fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 316August 4, 2019 2:38 PM

That must have been a major thrill to watch, R316. I was at home, riveted by it. People on here and elsewhere can say what they will about NK, and they're often probably right--I don't want to be in a position where I'd have to defend a lot of what he says and does. He still seems to be that amazing combination of a showman and lunatic, some and all of it is put on, and some and all of it is a surprise even to him. I find him totally fascinating to watch. Absolutely fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 317August 4, 2019 4:26 PM

Not getting the Kyrgios love at all. Yes, he is talented, but he squanders it with what seems his goal of just being a punk. He's not even attractive with his weird, ugly hunched posture.

by Anonymousreply 318August 4, 2019 9:24 PM

agree with R318. Kid's a punk. Majorly. And for him to go after Novak for boobs-out and then carry on with all his own antics is the height of hypocrisy. Can't stand him.

by Anonymousreply 319August 5, 2019 1:20 AM

I hear what you are saying but somehow he strikes a chord with people. I couldn't stand him either but then he does good things like plays ping pong with the kids for an hour interacts with the crowd and puts on a show - sometimes at the expense of his game. Seems counterproductive but all in all he is good for tennis I think. People root for him and want to see him work and do his best. In the end he is kind of an underdog and an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 320August 5, 2019 1:37 AM

Throwing a water bottle is good for tennis?

by Anonymousreply 321August 5, 2019 1:52 AM

Kyrgios is one of the most popular players among his peers so he must be a good bloke behind the scenes. I just don't think he likes playing tennis.

by Anonymousreply 322August 5, 2019 5:34 PM

[quote]I just don't think he likes playing tennis.

I just don't think he likes being an adult.

by Anonymousreply 323August 5, 2019 5:53 PM

love you, R323

by Anonymousreply 324August 5, 2019 9:21 PM

fyi to those reading this thread, there is an alternative thread for when this one gets "subscriber only" tagged.

fortunately for right now the thread is open

we've already seen a lot of interesting results on day 1 so far

by Anonymousreply 325August 5, 2019 10:45 PM

Kyrgios should die in a grease fire. He is a blight on tennis.

by Anonymousreply 326August 5, 2019 11:52 PM

lmao looked like Sharapova was going to get a comfortable win over Kontaveit!! NOPE

going 3

by Anonymousreply 327August 6, 2019 12:47 AM

SharaFLOP goes out in 3 to Kontaveit

Gasquet def. Paire

by Anonymousreply 328August 6, 2019 2:07 AM

Popsicle is a Chinese spy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329August 6, 2019 2:34 AM

Kasatkina def. Kerber 0-6 6-2 6-4 lol

by Anonymousreply 330August 6, 2019 4:07 AM

There is something very unlikeable about Kenin

by Anonymousreply 331August 10, 2019 4:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!