Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Donna Summer in the Eighties

I know everyone thinks of Donna Summer as the Queen of Disco, and that her heyday was the late Seventies. But she was one of the few artists of that genre to stick around beyond the disco days. She had four Top Ten hits in the Eighties. Which was your favorite?

by Anonymousreply 411November 20, 2021 1:13 AM

“Lush Life “ and “Unconditional Love “ That was a great album

by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2019 2:07 AM

I loved 'She Works Hard For The Money', always turn it up when it comes on the radio. The video for it was fantastic. It really paid homage to the working class women.

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2019 2:16 AM

Supernatural Love

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2019 2:38 AM

I love her "The Wanderer" album. She was really trying to shake her disco image at that point. The title single was a big hit, but her follow-up "Cold Love" (a great rocker) was not.

There's a great live performance of "Love Is In Control" out there, which I'll continue to look for.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2019 2:45 AM

I can't believe someone started this!!

I was just sitting here thinking about the song "Looking Up" from her 1980 album "The Wanderer".

I am dead serious!!

Anyway, although I like SWHFTM, I picked "Love Is in Control". It was produced by Quincy Jones and just sounds funkier.

I had the 12" single with the cool "saxophone instrumental" version on the B-side.

by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2019 2:48 AM

I voted "This Time I Know It's For Real," but my favorite of that era was "Love's About to Change My Heart," which had a similar feel but was a complete flop in the USA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2019 2:51 AM

She Works Hard for the Money was an overall great album. My favorite tune was the slow jam "Love Has A Mind Of Its Own". I also remember Donna Summer having an HBO concert special in the 80s and it was one of the best concert specials I've ever seen. She did a cover of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" that blew me away. Donna had one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard and she is missed.

by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2019 2:53 AM

Here unreleased album from the early ‘80s, I’m A Rainbow, is worth tracking down. Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2019 2:58 AM

Live on the old Letterman show. Carole King had to cancel and Donna stepped in last minute. She really had an extraordinary voice.

And Sid McGinnis looks pretty cute here in his '80s Felix the Cat shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2019 3:02 AM

Her material in the 80s was really hit and miss. And she turned down some songs that became big hits for other artists because of the Jesus stuff.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2019 3:03 AM

I love her “The woman in me” from The Wanderer, I believe

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2019 3:19 AM

My ultimate 80s Donna track -- "Tokyo"-- takes me right back to when I first heard it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2019 5:02 AM

I saw her in concert just a year or two before she died, and she was still great.

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2019 5:12 AM

"On the Radio" was released in November 1979, but it peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February 1980. Billboard counts it as one of the top hits from 1980, therefore it is an 80s song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2019 6:27 AM

Dinner With Gershwin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2019 6:42 AM

Stunning voice, always loved her

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2019 6:48 AM

R6, Love’s About to Change is such a great song.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2019 7:30 AM

She was truly underrated. She was one of the best singers of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2019 7:36 AM

Is that Rick James in R3?

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2019 7:51 AM

“State of Independence” is my absolute favourite DS song from the ‘80s.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2019 7:52 AM

R9, That was so lovely! Geez, I miss her so much.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2019 10:47 AM

Am I crazy, This Time I Know Its For Real- was that a hit the summer of 1989?

I recall THAT song, the crash of that plane in Sioux City, Austin digging out of his own grave on OLTL, and the song Toy Soldier by Martika.

But I am wondering if the Donna Summer song was more like 1999. I remember she was on a VH1 special or something.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2019 12:37 PM

1999 was I WILL Go with You and that was followed by the amazing Love us the Healer.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2019 2:42 PM

No love for Mistaken Identity?

It's a shame it took so long for a new album between that and Crayons. Reportedly there were a few attempts, but things fell out at the last minute. She had a decent comeback in 99 with that live album, but Sony dropped the ball big time.

Mariah Carey supposedly wrote Almost Home for her to sing, but she was too sick at the time to do it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2019 2:52 PM

I loved DS, went to see her in concert several times, owned all of her albums and even had a poster of her on my little gay bedroom wall. Then the article appeared where the new "born again Christian" DS had lots of horrible things to say about gay people. After I read it, I threw everything in the trash. Her career was never recovered and most of the gay people did exactly what I did. She claimed she never said those things, and did many AIDS benefit concerts and tried to make amends, but believed she did say those things as when I saw her last (still in HS) her tone changed, her music changed, and I didn't like it. It's funny every few years I see someone post about how wonderful she was - does this generation not know of her history, or not care?

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2019 3:00 PM

What article?

There's no substantial fact to the rumor, that's why it's a rumor. Some people have said they heard her say homophobic stuff on the She Works Hard for the Money tour, and others say it wasn't true.

by Anonymousreply 26July 20, 2019 3:05 PM

Funny that she had her biggest hit of the 80s (She Works Hard for the Money) when she delivered one final album to her old label. Payback for Geffen refusing to release her follow-up to The Wanderer and making her work with Quincy Jones rather than her usual production team. Though I admittedly like some of the songs on the Jones album.

by Anonymousreply 27July 20, 2019 3:07 PM

That is a great song, R6. Thank you for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 28July 20, 2019 3:07 PM

Joe55 - I have heard the rumours. There was never any proof. Would someone so anti gay really do AIDS benefits? She didn't need the money. Her paintings alone sold for $1000s. Also talking of rumours, wasn't there a rumour that the whole AIDS comments were spread by Geffen himself for wanting to leave his label? Anyway we will never know. All I know is I love Donna Summer. Always have. Mistaken Identity was great. Donna goes blond. Still listen to Work That Magic. Wish she had recorded more though.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2019 3:22 PM

It’s well documented how mismanaged her career was in the 80’s. She bounced between a few labels and they never really knew what to do with her. After she seemed determined to shake the “disco queen” label, she veered musically in a few directions. Luckily she still had some hits in her, and they were big ones. But everything else never really resonated with the general public.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2019 3:25 PM

This is one of her better dance tracks of the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2019 3:25 PM

Donna Summer always denied saying anything anti-gay, and there is no evidence from the time that she did. She allegedly made the "Adam and Steve" comments in concert, but if that had actually happened, it would've been reported in every newspaper in the country. There's absolutely nothing from back then in print.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2019 3:50 PM

R25, you are very judgmental and high-handed. Donna did not say anything hateful towards homosexuals. She gave a public statement clarifying that she did not say those words and did not believe those sentiments.

I demand that you apologize -- a fulsome, sincere apology -- for maligning Donna posthumously with discredited gossip. Then I expect you to go out and purchase all of the Donna-related merchandise that you threw away, including the poster. Listen to her music while you read the Bible. Meditate on your own transgressions and pray for a greater facility for forgiveness. Move forward with your life with Donna's music in your heart.

by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2019 4:25 PM

I always thought it was some moron confusing Summer with Gloria Gaynor. When Gaynor had her mini Comeback with I Am What I Am, Gaynor, when asked on Boston TV about her gay fans or the songs connection to the gay community via its origins in LA. Age Aux Follles, made comments about loving the sinner but hating the sin. I was just a twelve year old blooming gay and I felt so disgusted by her tone. When I heard that Summer had reportedly said similar, I thought that it was probably a case of someone confusing two black women who were both called The Queen of Disco. Summer always denied making those Adam and Steve comments and the like; Gloria Gaynor not so much.

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2019 4:26 PM

Didn't Summer wait until 1990 or thereabouts to make a full denial? That was strange.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2019 4:28 PM

Ooh, I know her big disco hits, but that song at R9 is fantastic. She's before my time - what a voice. She's singing all this fast intricate lyric right up there in mixed voice with perfect diction in the pocket and she blends her head and chest voice perfectly. Add the tone and texture of her voice and her unique and beautiful vibrato - what a freaking great singer. Thanks!!

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2019 4:38 PM

[quote] I demand that you apologize

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2019 4:41 PM

Donna was lucky that she toured at a time when cell phones were not ubiquitous. Otherwise, we would HAVE proof.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2019 4:42 PM

I love her self-titled album produced by Quincy Jones!

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2019 4:47 PM

She never said any of that stuff.

The above poster is right, it was big nasty queen David Geffen who started that crap.

Lovely woman with a great voice who deserved better.

by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2019 4:51 PM

As I remember, I read it in the Advocate. And yes, it was a rumor - she was reported as saying these things at a concert in Chicago as well as other comments to a reporter who was asking about the reported comments. People have come forward to say they heard them as well, but I guess it's just up to who you believe. I absolutely do not agree that a celebrity would not say the wrong thing and shoot themselves in the foot as they do it all the time. Especially the religious ones. As for me, as I said in my first post, she had a tone of self-importance and arrogance after her religious experience as compared to the previous times I saw her. She talked a lot about forgiving sinners, and to my 17-year-old mind, she was talking about gays - I guess it's not possible for me to communicate the context as I don't remember everything about it.

by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2019 5:12 PM

Well, she's dead. It's over.

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2019 5:18 PM

She Works Hard For The Money is really the only 80s song from Summer you hear on the radio. The other 3 OP listed are all fantastic too but have been forgotten. A lot of her 80s stuff is underrated - State of Independence, Unconditional Love, Tokyo, Supernatural Love, All Systems Go, Dinner With Gershwin, Love's About To Change My Heart, even when Love Cries from her Mistaken Identity. If only she hadn't turned down Flashdance (What A Feeling) and recorded Gloria instead of Laura Branigan, she could've been even bigger in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2019 5:42 PM

But Irene Cara and Laura Branigan weren't big outside of those hits. Donna was never going to be as big after finding God, getting married and having more kids. She also fucked up the SAW comeback by insisting on writing on the follow up album.

Of her comeback attempts, I like "Carry On", which was actually a Giorgio Moroder track that he got Donna to sing. It was credited to both of them.

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2019 5:52 PM

Sadly, Summer lost focus after the disco years. She had great sporadic hits afterwards but she was so desperate for a new sound that she didn’t land on anything for very long

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2019 5:54 PM

SUMMET, the musical about her life is a must see for Summer fans. It’s touring I believe.

It was exhilarating!

by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2019 5:55 PM

Well, I loved her. She was tremendously talented and a big part of my teen years. Also, she's from the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, where I lived for many years as a young man. I was heartbroken when I read about her comments, and I hope she didn't make them or more importantly didn't feel that way. I just don't think given the hate and intolerance I grew up with and now the recent resurgence of, you can't have an honest conversation about her if you don't bring it up.

by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2019 5:55 PM

"Dinner With Gershwin" and "Love's About To Change My Heart" are Donna's two best from the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2019 5:56 PM

Sorry, the musical is called SUMMER, of course

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2019 5:57 PM

Her career lost focus. She was mismanaged and I believe she did say those things. It's not like "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" wasn't something any number of people would have said at that time. But when your fanbase is primarily gay disco queens and their hags, you're career is going to careen after that. David Geffen is a vindictive bitch - but how does saying that make it any better?

So much of a career is luck. Donna never lost her voice, it barely even showed signs of deterioration when she had lung cancer. It would be great to hear her sing Gloria or Flashdance, but we kind of already did...

Whitney lost her voice and some of her popularity but she still had Clive Davis, the best writers and producers and believe it or not she knew what she wanted, career wise. And her fan base was HUGE. Not limited to gays, even though Whitney loved her some Jesus and was half in the closet herself. People LOVED her. And they rooted for her to succeed. Donna was not much a personality as a singer or a star. She had a great voice and could sing just about anything. But their wasn't much feeling or joy in her presentation. Very much of her time and place. A pleasure to listen to her albums or get up and dance to. But she didn't exude charisma or star power. Piss of the gays on top of that, and they're gonna let the coke heads have the hits. Laura, Irene and (RIP) beautiful Whitney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2019 6:07 PM

Both "Highway Runner" (from the 1982 'Fast Times At Ridgemont High' soundtrack) and "Romeo" (from 'Flashdance') were recorded for the ill-fated 1981 unreleased album. It was cool that they got some kind of release with these soundtracks.

Then in 1993, two more songs from the unreleased 1981 album were released on ANTHOLOGY: "I'm A Rainbow" and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina."

The album was eventually released in 1996 as 'I'm A Rainbow,' although there is controversy as to it actually being the finished album or just some spruced-up demos.

On the 1982 album, Donna recorded a then-unreleased Bruce Springsteen song, "Protection," which he also later recorded for 'Born In The USA' but never officially released.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2019 6:11 PM

*your career

*there wasn't much feeling...

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2019 6:12 PM

[Quote] Whitney lost her voice and some of her popularity but she still had Clive Davis, the best writers and producers and believe it or not she knew what she wanted, career wise. And her fan base was HUGE.

Nonsense. That tragic last tour she did... there would have been no "HUGE" anything for her had she lived, except further health problems.

People liked Whitney's voice. She lost that. Reissues of her music have sold poorly, while other "legacy" artists have a steady stream of reissues. Clive and Co. didn't even get around to giving her second album the deluxe treatment. There was no demand.

They'll keep doing exposes, of course. Robyn Crawford's is up next, I hear.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2019 6:23 PM

There are no Whitney rarities collections, nothing.

The new remixed single of "Higher Love" is an outtake from her 1990 album and is on the Japanese CD of that album. But it's never been released broadly.

And there are several Whitney b-sides and bonus tracks and rarities that are just sitting there going nowhere.

NO ONE has tried to CURATE Whitney's legacy into a lasting thing.

It will end up just being "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" and "I Will Always Love You."

by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2019 6:27 PM

For me, this was the underappreciated gem and the last hit of hers I really loved to its core.

I also love that Rod Temperton/Quincy Jones sound (outside of MJ) so this sound has aged well to my old ears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2019 6:30 PM

It's ALWAYS sounded like a Michael Jackson outtake from OFF THE WALL.

There's no DONNA in it at all.

by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2019 6:32 PM

Michael Jackson had none of Donna's richness - completely different timbres. I love "Love Is In Control." And the backing vocals give it a very different sound to standard MJ.

by Anonymousreply 57July 20, 2019 6:37 PM

The tour was tragic, but the album sold 2.5 million copies dude. Don't get into a pissing fight about Whitney Houston. She will be forever remembered as the greatest voice to ever record popular music.

Donna was a disco queen. As I suspect are you R54. I recognize your CAPS!!!

by Anonymousreply 58July 20, 2019 6:46 PM

Not a disco queen and I love Whitney.

I'm dismayed at her lack of legacy after her death.

If someone doesn't get ahold of her catalog and start getting creative, all anyone will remember is:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 20, 2019 6:50 PM

And, "I wanna see the receipts!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 20, 2019 6:50 PM

[quote]And her fan base was HUGE.

And Summer's wasn't? From 78 to early 80 she was one of the biggest recording artists in the world. Arguably the biggest female. She had three back to back number one multiplatinum albums (double albums too) Four number one hits. Eight gold and platinum selling singles.

Summer had Whitney's success, she just didn't want it. So she got married and started a family while putting her career second. Touring when she only needed to, and raking in the dough. A "has been" with a stable family and laughing all the way to the bank.

Whitney could have had the same outcome, and a much better life had she been able to do so. But the substance abuse and who knows what other issues prevented that. The last decade and a half was nothing short of a trainwreck that could rival easily Judy Garland's destructive last five years.

by Anonymousreply 61July 20, 2019 6:50 PM

Garland-esque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 20, 2019 6:52 PM

Renee Zellweger IS Whitney!!!

by Anonymousreply 63July 20, 2019 6:53 PM

R63 with Scarlett Johansson as Robyn Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 64July 20, 2019 6:55 PM

Yvette as Kelly McGillis!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 20, 2019 6:57 PM

Giorgio Moroder produced "Call Me" but Donna wouldn't sing it because of the suggestive lyrics - this was when she had just started all the Born-Again bullshit. He gave it to Blondie instead and of course it became a huge hit.

by Anonymousreply 66July 20, 2019 7:14 PM

Em... Debbie Harry wrote the lyrics. And Blondie got the call after Stevie Nicks, so I don't see how Donna could have disapproved of lyrics that she likely never saw. Even if she had seen suggestive lyrics, she could have rewrote them.

by Anonymousreply 67July 20, 2019 7:18 PM

I've heard that Donna also turned down Fame and Flashdance. I don't think Gloria was ever offered to her.

by Anonymousreply 68July 20, 2019 7:31 PM

Prince wanted Donna Summer to sing "Sugar Walls", but on Gary Morton's advice, she turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 69July 20, 2019 7:36 PM

Love this thread ❤️

by Anonymousreply 70July 20, 2019 7:50 PM

What I will say- is that there are 3 female vocalists who made it sound SO EFFORTLESS/

Whitney Houston (in her prime)

Streisand ( through 94 or possibly after, but not now)

Donna Summer.

They made it sound so EASY.

Celine is on their level, but it never sounded EFFORTLESS......

by Anonymousreply 71July 20, 2019 8:02 PM

As Whitney said, "We're all God's children honey."

by Anonymousreply 72July 20, 2019 8:06 PM

^ Forgot the video. Watch our girl at gay pride in 1999. Sober for the day too. Beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73July 20, 2019 8:07 PM

^^^^Whitney is as high as a CNN satellite in that clip, God bless her...

by Anonymousreply 74July 20, 2019 8:14 PM

Whitney in her prime had a far better voice than Donna in her prime. More range, nuance, agility, soul, emotion, musicality.

Donna could only sing one way--all out. She sounded ridiculous trying to sing softly. Her voice also had no flexibility, so she couldn't do runs. Donna was essentially a backup singer who got lucky, thanks to Giorgio Moroder. His productions made her a star. She was just the voice to his vision.

by Anonymousreply 75July 20, 2019 8:22 PM

Whitney is not "sober" in that clip - LOL!!!!

"Machine Man" was offered to Stevie Nicks first, who rejected writing the lyrics and singing the song, so it went to Debbie Harry.

Blondie the band is not on "Call Me" - it's just Debbie and Giorgio Moroder, but "Blondie" got artist credit.

by Anonymousreply 76July 20, 2019 8:35 PM

Donna made better music though. Too much of Whitney's stuff was the bland MOR dreck that Clive Davis pushed all his artists towards.

by Anonymousreply 77July 20, 2019 8:36 PM

Tough one, between "She Works Hard" and "This Time" anyway. Had to go with She Works Hard" though because I happened to have it playing in my headphones. Both were proof America still loved its disco queen, as long as she delivered the exceptional dance-pop she was known for. Unfortunately Donna bought into the idea she had to distance herself from dance music, undercutting her music base until the mainstream left her behind.

by Anonymousreply 78July 20, 2019 8:44 PM

There's a YouTube video of Donna joining Barry Manilow on stage for a duet of "Could It Be Magic", This was not long before she died, and she looked a bit different, but her voice was just as powerful as ever.

by Anonymousreply 79July 20, 2019 8:48 PM

[quote] Donna could only sing one way--all out. She sounded ridiculous trying to sing softly. Her voice also had no flexibility, so she couldn't do runs. Donna was essentially a backup singer who got lucky, thanks to Giorgio Moroder.

She didn't always belt. She had a very expressive voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 20, 2019 9:01 PM

Last Dance.

by Anonymousreply 81July 20, 2019 9:20 PM

Many divas (such as Mariah Carey) started out singing backup. Anyway, that stage of her working relationship with Giorgio only lasted as few months, before he started releasing his first singles with her. Which were hits in 1974, before disco. Obviously Donna and Giorgio and perfect chemistry, and he's equally responsible for her success. But if it was all his doing, why did he toil away in obscurity producing for a decade before he met her? It's just supposed to be a coincidence his ascendancy coincided with her's, mere months after they met? Riiiiight...

by Anonymousreply 82July 20, 2019 9:27 PM

Donna was a seasoned performer by the time she became a successful recording artist. Whitney became a star by age 21. People can talk about Whitney's church training til they're blue in the face but... Whitney pushed, where Donna never did. The latter knew her voice better and she used it more expertly. Both did drugs. One came through it, with her instrument intact. The other didn't.

by Anonymousreply 83July 20, 2019 9:33 PM

It was a perfect partnership, much in the way that Dionne, Hal and Burt was. They brought out the best in each other. Pete Bellote also deserves credit. Summer's records broke new ground. I Feel Love, Hot Stuff alone changed dance music.

None of Whitney's song were trendsetting or revolutionary. In the rolling stone album guide, they described her records as if Andrew Wyeth had decided to forego painting and draw Garfield cartoons. They were good to great pop songs, but that's all they were. Mary J Blige and Mariah have been more creative and edgier in their work.

by Anonymousreply 84July 20, 2019 9:34 PM

Didn't someone falsely get credit for "Last Dance"? I can't remember if it was Moroder or Bellotte. Bob Esty was not credited on all releases, when he should have been.

by Anonymousreply 85July 20, 2019 9:36 PM

Yes, Bob Esty was the true producer of "Last Dance" (also the "Once Upon A Time" album.) i thought he was at least credited as the arranger on both, but really have no idea. The reason he didn't get producer credit is Giorgio had an exclusive contract to produce Donna. Esty was a very similar eurodisco producer and similarly accomplished so no one noticed. And Giorgio did do a lot of work on the Once Upon A Time album writing all the music and programming the synthesizers. Esty went on to write and produce Cher's "Take Me Home," and he also produced Streisand's Main Event.

by Anonymousreply 86July 20, 2019 9:42 PM

Bob Esty is American. I wouldn't count "Last Dance" for one, as Eurodisco.

by Anonymousreply 87July 20, 2019 9:49 PM

I disagree, but also don't care. If we're to get further pedantic, Donna actually had 5 Top 10s in the 80s." On The Radio" peaked at #5 in May 1980.

by Anonymousreply 88July 20, 2019 9:54 PM

You care enought to say you disagree.

by Anonymousreply 89July 20, 2019 9:55 PM

R75 = Irene Cara, bitter she didn't have a better career. And tits.

by Anonymousreply 90July 20, 2019 10:10 PM

Irene Cara was basically a stand-in for Donna. Donna should've sung Fame and Flashdance but for whatever reasons she didn't.

by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2019 11:28 PM

[quote]Donna could only sing one way--all out. She sounded ridiculous trying to sing softly. Her voice also had no flexibility, so she couldn't do runs.

Not true at all. Donna had a very nuanced voice when she sand ballads, but it wasn't often.

by Anonymousreply 92July 20, 2019 11:29 PM

Yeah, just listen to Lucky, Queen For A Day, Try Me, I Know We Can Make It. She's not belting it out on those.

by Anonymousreply 93July 20, 2019 11:36 PM

Oh my god, Irene's shriveled raisin nubs!!

praise, be , LORD JESUS!!!

Shield thy eyes!!!

Out there on my own!!! Damn right, bitch! With those flapjacks and shriveled raisins on top!!!

by Anonymousreply 94July 20, 2019 11:41 PM

I never knew Luther Vandross sang backup with the Waters on "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)"!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 20, 2019 11:48 PM

Strident Streisand ruins "Enough Is Enough".

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2019 11:52 PM

Luther should have sung Streisand's part!! It would have been harmonically beautiful. And he could have sang "she turned out to be like any other man I loved".... with no lie. Think of those gorgeous Luther runs and shivers and Donna's propulsive rich voice together. ENOUGH!! (Streisand lent nothing to that song but her name)

Luther and Donna would have been h e a v e n together.

by Anonymousreply 97July 21, 2019 12:22 AM

Aren't we forgetting that Barbra Streisand is the most talented singer ever?

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2019 12:34 AM

Why remember a lie R98?

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2019 12:38 AM

Donna could never have done that long "TEAR!" note that Barbra does so flawlessly!

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2019 12:39 AM

That whole "It's raining, it's pouring" crap was only added because Streisand wanted to make the song fit her "concept" album WET.

by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2019 12:41 AM

Although I love Summer, some of her songs were just stupid.

Dinner with Gershwin had awful lyrics. She’s didn’t know who she was anymore after her disco reign ended

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2019 12:47 AM

There is a version of Gloria sung by Donna Summer

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2019 12:48 AM

"Dinner With Gershwin" is whimsical. Not everyone can appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2019 12:49 AM

Wasn’t “The Woman in Me” and “There Goes My Baby” also 80s singles? I remember them both getting airplay.

by Anonymousreply 105July 21, 2019 12:53 AM

*Weren’t, not wasn’t

by Anonymousreply 106July 21, 2019 12:54 AM

R106 They were, but only the four in the poll were top ten hits.

by Anonymousreply 107July 21, 2019 12:55 AM

Like the above poster said, Donna concentrated on her family and marriage in the 80s and her music career was not the priority in her life at that point. She had a lot of issues at the height of her fame in the 70s and was very uncomfortable with it. She was a much happier person in the 80s. For some people, mega-fame like the kind Michael Jackson or Madonna had was just not for them.

by Anonymousreply 108July 21, 2019 12:57 AM

‘There goes my baby’ is a gorgeous Donna Summer remake.

by Anonymousreply 109July 21, 2019 1:03 AM

According to the Summer musical, Summer was molested by her church minister as a child

by Anonymousreply 110July 21, 2019 1:04 AM

Didn’t she sing the main song in some Stallone movie?

by Anonymousreply 111July 21, 2019 1:05 AM

Whitney’s voice brought up more emotions in me but I will alway love Donna

by Anonymousreply 112July 21, 2019 1:05 AM

I think she had a song in Speed 2.

by Anonymousreply 113July 21, 2019 1:06 AM

[quote] "Dinner With Gershwin" is whimsical

Summer could never do whimsical convincingly

by Anonymousreply 114July 21, 2019 1:07 AM

I fervently give a *SMACK* across the face to everyone who has mentioned "Love Is in Control (Finger on the Trigger)" but has NOT mentioned the B-side!!!

Since I was a teen in 1982, I was still buying 45s.

Bought "LIIC" and discovered this on the other side...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 21, 2019 1:07 AM

She sang the theme to the movie Daylight starring Sylvester Stallone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116July 21, 2019 1:08 AM

No, Donna Summer is on not the Sped 2 soundtrack nor in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 117July 21, 2019 1:09 AM

"Cats Without Claws" wasn't her biggest success, but it did give us 1984's "Eyes"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 21, 2019 1:11 AM

She sang the theme to Daylight starring Stallone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 21, 2019 1:12 AM

Idiotic movie but gorgeous song

by Anonymousreply 120July 21, 2019 1:13 AM

R115, I also was a teen in the Summer of 1982 and bought the LIICFOTC 45 single.

I always wondered if "Sometimes Like Butterflies" was supposed to be on the 1981 album, even though it is supposedly produced by Quincy Jones. It doesn't sound "Black" enough for the DS album.

It sounds like a b-side for THE WANDERER, therefore I believed it was actually from the 1981 album.

Always a conspiracy!

by Anonymousreply 121July 21, 2019 1:13 AM

R118, thank you for reminding me about Cats Without Claws! I loved the title song

by Anonymousreply 122July 21, 2019 1:14 AM

"Sometimes Like Butterflies"?! What was Dusty Springfield thinking? Such a dreary song.

by Anonymousreply 123July 21, 2019 1:15 AM

Great Rolling Stone interview taking place after Once Upon a Time but before she really hits the big time with Last Dance. You could tell she was not adjusting well to fame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 21, 2019 1:15 AM

Fuck, the OP of this thread is a QAnon freeper who keeps posting shit about President Clinton having sex with young girls.

FFing OP and leaving this thread.

by Anonymousreply 125July 21, 2019 1:17 AM

Romeo on the flashdance soundtrack it’s one of those guilty pleasures.

by Anonymousreply 126July 21, 2019 1:18 AM

We'll alert the media, r125.

Cats Without Claws was a flop, and it was only one year after the huge success of She Works Hard For the Money.

by Anonymousreply 127July 21, 2019 1:38 AM

Somebody mentioned Tokyo. I've always loved that one too. It should've been a single.

by Anonymousreply 128July 21, 2019 1:39 AM

That trashy "Autopsy" show recently did an episode on Donna, and the medical examiner said that her lung cancer was not caused by fumes from 9/11, which is what she believed.

by Anonymousreply 129July 21, 2019 1:43 AM

Donna was nutty. Her voice was fantastic but kind of robotic after she found Jesus. It's not only the change of songs or the homophobic shit she said.....she dressed bad, wore worse wigs than Whitney and performed her best work in a deliberately nostalgic way. Like Streisand she gave nothing to her audience when she performed. But she sure could sing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 21, 2019 1:56 AM

Her 80s output may have been dodgy but she had one of the great imperial phases of any pop diva. This was a fucking album track!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131July 21, 2019 2:08 AM

Bob Belcher loves her!

by Anonymousreply 132July 21, 2019 2:15 AM

[Quote] wore worse wigs than Whitney

Impossible!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133July 21, 2019 2:47 AM

Do we believe that David Geffen started the “God gave gay men AIDS” rumor about her, because of professional gripes he had with her?

by Anonymousreply 134July 21, 2019 2:48 AM

r134 that's always been the rumor. Geffen and Donna didn't get along. Her biggest hit in that era - She Works Hard For the Money - was for her old record label and Geffen was allegedly pissed that she didn't release it on his label. That was supposedly the genesis. The anti-gay rumors started around that time, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 135July 21, 2019 2:52 AM

NO, we don't r134. A religious nut is a fucking religious nut. Donna Summer was a religious nutcase. Her career suffered the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 136July 21, 2019 2:53 AM

It wasn't just Donna Summer, Geffen clashed with many of the big names he signed to his label when it started in the 80s. Neil Young, Don Henley, even his old pal Joni Mitchell. I'm sure John Lennon would have ended up hating his guts if he'd lived long enough.

by Anonymousreply 137July 21, 2019 3:44 AM

It's funny how Geffen had all these big talents on his label, but their tenure with him didn't reach their previous heights.

by Anonymousreply 138July 21, 2019 4:08 AM

Don’t forget Elton John. He was signed to Geffen for a while too and that ended badly as well. Yes I believe he is behind “the rumor”.

by Anonymousreply 139July 21, 2019 4:18 AM

Carly Simon recently revealed that "You're So Vain" was written about Geffen.

The "Donna Summer" album nearly bankrupted Geffen Records at the time. It was very expensive to produce with Quincy Jones and the all-star talent involved on the record, and it famously flopped. They had to lay-off several employees because of it. Geffen Records never truly recovered after that and David Geffen blamed Donna. He spent lots of money to sign her to the label and she delivered a stinking turd.

by Anonymousreply 140July 21, 2019 5:06 AM

Every few years, Carly Simon teases the revelation of another inspiration for "You're So Vain."

by Anonymousreply 141July 21, 2019 5:15 AM

The "Donna Summer" album was great, I don't know why it wasn't a hit. Maybe it didn't get the promotion it needed?

by Anonymousreply 142July 21, 2019 5:16 AM

Donna Summer sent a letter to the gay organization ACT UP in 1989, regarding the alleged anti-gay remarks.

She ended the letter with a very long quote from scripture. And for some reason, the letter is not signed.

The actual letter can be seen here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 21, 2019 6:34 AM

Now, I love me some Donna Summer and totally believe that she was offered the Flashdance theme before Irene Cara, however considering Cara starred in the film Fame portraying a high school student and her character sang the theme song, I highly doubt that Summer was offered that song.

by Anonymousreply 144July 21, 2019 8:04 AM

124 - thank you. What a great article. X

by Anonymousreply 145July 21, 2019 8:11 AM

I still want to believe she got cancer from 9/11. I'll try looking for that Autopst episode.

by Anonymousreply 146July 21, 2019 8:29 AM

Donna came across like a boring and real BITCH of a woman in that 1970's Rolling Stone interview. An imperious harridan.

Wish I hadn't read that

by Anonymousreply 147July 21, 2019 1:14 PM

Found it R146

Autopsy Episode

by Anonymousreply 148July 21, 2019 1:15 PM

Sorry, Link to episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149July 21, 2019 1:15 PM

She had more (and different) hits during the '80's here in the UK, but the best was unquestionably the Quincy Jones produced identikit cover of Jon & Vangelis' 'State of Independence' (which was also a #1 single in Holland and spawned several other remixes/remakes through the '90's too.)

by Anonymousreply 150July 21, 2019 1:31 PM

The Donna Summer album wasn't a huge flop but obviously it wasn't as big as the price tag warranted. I'm guessing Donna didn't say those hateful things about gay men but couldn't explain any further because she would have to implicate David Geffen and shit would have really hit the fan.

by Anonymousreply 151July 21, 2019 2:21 PM

A poster uothread pointed out what I used to say, as well: No one on Geffen Records'label managed to be as big on Geffen as they were before Geffen. The artists always got the blame but the label sucked. They sucked at marketing, at A&R, at promo... And at bookkeeping. You would have these great pop singles come out and go nowhere or nowhere near where they likely would have gone elsewhere. It wasn't that Donna on Geffen was different than Donna on Polydor in 1983... It was that Geffen didn't know how to promote her. Giorgio Morider had nothing to do with Polygam's contract-fulfilling She Works Hard;that was Donna partnering up with Michael Omartian. So Geffen has her work with Omartian again, for the Geffen label. And you get Cats Without Claws which was a mixed bag as an album but had the potential for four to five hit singles. But Geffen didn't know how to promo it so they give her a great video for a bland cover (There Goes My Baby) but a bizarre, laughable video for a great high-energy single (Supernatural Love) and no singke release for Eyes or I'm Free. The Geffen marketing team was rock-oriented, not pop, and had no idea how to break pop singles so the pop successes they did manage were almost in spite of their own efforts. But even rock acts performed poorly on Geffen: Aerosmith mostly vanished while on the label and had their resurgence after leaving it, same as Donna, Elton, etc. Guns N Roses were their only major success, and that came after a lot of acts, like Summer, had left.

by Anonymousreply 152July 21, 2019 3:20 PM

"Supernatural Love" should have been the lead single, not that drippy "There Goes My Baby." SL sounded most like "She Works Hard For The Money" and it would have been Top 20 at least. "All Systems Go" was a very mediocre album but had two gorgeous ballads, including "Thinkin' Bout My Baby."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153July 21, 2019 3:54 PM

Giorgio Moroder co-wrote and produced Flashdance so I can totally see him offering it to his old friend R144

by Anonymousreply 154July 21, 2019 4:10 PM

The "Donna Summer" album should've been a much bigger hit, Love Is In Control and State of Independence had the potential to be top 10 hits. What was it with Geffen not knowing how to promote his artists? He'd been in the music business for many years by then and knew all the ins and outs. It was odd.

by Anonymousreply 155July 21, 2019 4:11 PM

r144

Ever heard of "Sparkle"?

by Anonymousreply 156July 21, 2019 4:15 PM

"Love Is In Control" was a Top Ten hit in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 157July 21, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote] Now, I love me some Donna Summer and totally believe that she was offered the Flashdance theme before Irene Cara,

But that isn't true. Giorgio said he wrote it specifically for Irene because he loved what she'd done with Fame. Giorgio wasn't interested in working with Donna, after Geffen canned their 1981 album. He'd been frustrated that she'd turned her back on her previous sex symbol image, and had no intention of working with her again. Eventually he lightened up and did work with her on a few more songs, including the Grammy winning "Carry On."

by Anonymousreply 158July 21, 2019 8:06 PM

The Flashdance story is that Giorgio wrote the music. He loved the lyrics to Fame and wanted something similar. He misunderstood, thought Irene Cara had not only performed Fame but written it, as well. He sent her and a third cowriter the music and they wrote the lyrics to the music while driving around NYC in a cab. I don't believe Donna was ever involved with that song nor the Cara album that followed it, done almost entirely with Moroder.

by Anonymousreply 159July 21, 2019 8:13 PM

Does anyone have the album Moroder did with Joe "Bean" Esposito, Donna's duet partner on "Heaven Knows"?

by Anonymousreply 160July 21, 2019 8:17 PM

I used to r160, I didn't think it was anything too special. I think it had "Lady, Lady, Lady," a minor hit from Flashdance and a few other good songs. Donna and Joe were the first offered to sing "I've Had The Time Of My Life," but Donna turned it down, too prudish to be associated with a movie called "Dirty Dancing."

by Anonymousreply 161July 21, 2019 9:02 PM

Donna was offered Bootylicious but Bruce Sudano talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 162July 21, 2019 9:14 PM

Ditto "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

by Anonymousreply 163July 21, 2019 9:21 PM

I love the song "I Do Believe (I Fell In Love)". I don't recall being aware of it during the actual 80s, and only heard it for the first time around 2005 or so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164July 21, 2019 9:27 PM

This song was HUGE in gay bars back in the late 80s. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165July 21, 2019 9:43 PM

It was Donna apologizing for those comments she DID make.

And we forgave her and danced all night!

by Anonymousreply 166July 21, 2019 9:52 PM

It wasn't Donna's idea to work with Quincy Jones in the first place. And they made her record it while she was pregnant, which was extremely difficult for her.

by Anonymousreply 167July 21, 2019 9:52 PM

[quote]Donna and Joe were the first offered to sing "I've Had The Time Of My Life," but Donna turned it down, too prudish to be associated with a movie called "Dirty Dancing."

Wow what a dumb decision. That song was a monster hit.

by Anonymousreply 168July 21, 2019 11:21 PM

R69, um, that’s simply not true. Prince never offered “Sugar Walls” to Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 169July 22, 2019 12:16 AM

I always felt that “My Baby Understands” from BAD GIRLS sounds like a Stevie Nicks song.

Or has the feel of a 1979 Stevie Nicks song.

by Anonymousreply 170July 22, 2019 12:20 AM

R102 - Dinner With Gershwin lyrics aren’t stupid. They’re the opposite of stupid (unlike you). Brenda Russell wrote it and I think it’s one of her best 80s singles.

by Anonymousreply 171July 22, 2019 12:22 AM

I loved “Carry On” so much, that was big in the gay clubs for a minute, I wish it was a big chart hit for her. Those are her kids on the chorus with her.

by Anonymousreply 172July 22, 2019 12:41 AM

I think this was the mix used in "Queer as Folk".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173July 22, 2019 12:44 AM

I know we're talking about Donna's 80s stuff, but I just want to say her 70s albums are flawless, not a single dud on them. The album tracks were just as good as the singles.

by Anonymousreply 174July 22, 2019 12:48 AM

Rumor was that she and Quincy Jones didn’t get along very well during the recording of “Donna Summer”. I haven’t read his autobiography from the 90s, but I wonder if Jones ever discussed the recording of the album.

by Anonymousreply 175July 22, 2019 12:50 AM

If you watch Donna's live version of "Love Is In Control", she is absolutely stunning in appearance. I've never seen her look better. But if you see her join Manilow on stage for "Could It Be Magic" a few years later, she looks twice as big. Not in great shape at all. But her vocal abilities NEVER waned...always sounded great.

by Anonymousreply 176July 22, 2019 1:02 AM

"Another Place And Time" is a great album. It did really well in Europe but sort of flopped in America.

by Anonymousreply 177July 22, 2019 1:09 AM

I picked up “Donna Summer” in the cut-out bins for $1.99 about a year after it was released. I knew it was a Quincy Jones production and had heard (and liked) “Love Is In Control” and “The Woman in Me” on the radio, but it was surprising to me then that what turned out to be a terrific album with a stellar production was relegated to the cut-out bins so quickly.

Yes, I’m old!

by Anonymousreply 178July 22, 2019 1:43 AM

I thought it was boring compared to THE WANDERER, which I loved.

“Grand Illusion” was Donna’s final acid trip masterpiece.

“Stop Me” had the sound of an outtake from BAD GIRLS, which is a good thing.

DONNA SUMMER was too bland for me. I always wondered what the 1981 album would have sounded like.

by Anonymousreply 179July 22, 2019 1:48 AM

But I did hate the jesus stuff on THE WANDERER.

by Anonymousreply 180July 22, 2019 1:53 AM

[quote] I love the song "I Do Believe (I Fell In Love)". I don't recall being aware of it during the actual 80s, and only heard it for the first time around 2005 or so.

I love the SWHFTM album, the title song, "Toyko" and "I Do Believe..." were my favorites. It was not a disco explosion but I appreciated that she was trying something different.

by Anonymousreply 181July 22, 2019 4:15 AM

Emmylou Harris did a ballad version of "On the Radio". It was included on her 1983 album "White Shoes".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 22, 2019 6:10 AM

Donna's '80s albums (save for She Works Hard for the Money) were reissued by the label Driven by the Music (actually it's really Demon Music Group but apparently Donna didn't want her music to be released on a label called "Demon", hence DBTM) in a box set.

They include edits and extended mixes. I don't believe these were remastered and some edits are vinyl rips. But it's a great collection overall.

Donna's tenure with Geffen was fractured but there are highlights. The Wanderer is a very strong album, although coming after Bad Girls, you miss the disco. But the singing and songwriting are still strong. "Grand Illusion" is one of her most unique songs and "Cold Love" is probably the closest to "Bad Girls" and the most upbeat song. Self-titled is well produced and "State of Independence" is probably one of her greatest recordings, definitely a precursor to We are the World (but a better song). Cats Without Claws is her most underrated. Eyes, I'm Free and Oh, Billy Please are terrific songs. All Systems Go is pretty weak though.

Geffen didn't know how to market Donna and ditching I'm a Rainbow (also included in the collected) and ending the Moroder collaborations hampered Donna's career. Moroder and Summer basically set the template for female pop albums of the '80s. But moot point since Summer didn't seem to know who she was a pop star in the '80s and Branigan and Cara had the big hits. She Works Hard for the Money was saved to fulfill her contract for another label and of course it became her biggest hit of the '80s and an anthem to boot. The one moment where she once again met the success of the late '70s.

Supposedly she was supposed to reunite with Stock Aitken and Waterman in the early '90s but didn't. She recorded Mistaken Identity which... really lacked a strong identity itself. By the early '90s, though SAW was passe and probably would not have yielded strong results. Although it's been denied, apparently Lonnie Gordon's Happening All Over Again was meant for Donna.

by Anonymousreply 183July 22, 2019 6:27 AM

r183, I really liked 1991's MISTAKEN IDENTITY. "When Love Cries" was the lead-off single. Very different sounding for Donna but she was still trying to be relevant in the music world. Love that album.

by Anonymousreply 184July 22, 2019 11:45 AM

"Mistaken Identity" was lackluster. But there is a remix of "Work That Magic" that is really good. And "Friends Unknown" is magical, top-notch vocal and beautiful sentiment. LaChanze's performance of it in "Summer" was the highlight of the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185July 22, 2019 1:40 PM

Such a cheap looking album cover.

by Anonymousreply 186July 22, 2019 1:44 PM

^^^ Right?!?!?

I HATE the cover of Mistaken Identity.

It looks like a budget release.

by Anonymousreply 187July 22, 2019 3:41 PM

"Work That Magic" needed a lot of help in the club airplay area. The album version just kind of sits there.

This mix is spectacular!

LOVE the added in RAVE Crowd Noise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 22, 2019 4:03 PM

Her videos were always awful. Dinner with Gershwin is just terrible, for example. Even, She works hard for the money is unintentionally hilarious.

She was a great singer but not that amazing a performer

by Anonymousreply 189July 22, 2019 4:59 PM

R186 what looks cheap to some looks fine to me. Wasn’t a fan of blonde Donna though.

by Anonymousreply 190July 22, 2019 8:33 PM

Donn's videos are fine. They are no better or worse than other '80s videos.

It's important to remember that aside from Michael Jackson, she was one of the few black artists to get her videos played in the early days of MTV. She was still very popular in the early '80s. She also made the successful transition to the video era because she was photogenic and you can tell she enjoyed making videos.

What Donna accomplished from '75 to '83 is pretty amazing. Not only did she rack up a career's worth of hits, but she also racked up so many iconic songs. Everybody knows Love to Love You Baby. Everybody knows I Feel Love. Everybody knows Bad Girls. Everybody knows No More Tears (Enough is Enough). Everybody knows She Works Hard for the Money. And everybody knows Last Dance.

I wish she had recorded more after her peak era but she was smart and saw the $$ in touring and she didn't really need to record a lot after her peak period because she had enough songs to tour regularly.

by Anonymousreply 191July 22, 2019 11:39 PM

Donna never made big money from touring because she was a lousy performer. She made enough to live a comfortable lifestyle in Nashville, but that was it.

by Anonymousreply 192July 23, 2019 12:01 AM

She was not a lousy performer r192. That is a ridiculous statement.

by Anonymousreply 193July 23, 2019 12:08 AM

"Love Is In Control" was never played with any frequency on MTV in 1982, and they played everything back then.

"She Works Hard For The Money" a year later was played nonstop.

SWHFTM was more of a true Donna song, whereas LIIC sounds like a Michael Jackson OFF THE WALL leftover.

MTV and fans responded much more strongly to SWHFTM.

by Anonymousreply 194July 23, 2019 12:09 AM

r192 Donna was worth $75 million when she died.

by Anonymousreply 195July 23, 2019 12:15 AM

I ordered 'The Journey: The Very Best Of Donna Summer', a compilation from 2000, based on this review:

[quote]This release is unique as, to my knowledge, it is the only official major label Donna Summer release to include the legendary Patrick Cowley megamix of "I Feel Love" - a staggering 15 minute mix. This version is incredible when you consider that it was produced and hand-edited ( no digital tools back then ) by the late Cowley, who played all of the synthesizer overdubs, in his home studio in 1979. Previously only available as either an acetate bootleg, or on the defunct, DJ only subscription service "Disconet", this CD version has been remastered to the best possible sound from the available source. Considering the original "I Feel Love" parts were, no doubt, recorded from vinyl to tape when Cowley produced this mix, it sounds very good. This mix alone is the best reason to get this collection.

I REALLY hope this version of "I Feel Love" lives up to this guy's hype! It's my favorite Donna Summer song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 23, 2019 12:21 AM

This is the Patrick Cowley remix of I Feel Love. 42 years later, and this song still sounds fresh and amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 23, 2019 12:25 AM

This is the Patrick Cowley remix of I Feel Love. 42 years later, and this song still sounds fresh and amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198July 23, 2019 12:25 AM

The best Donna comps are the late 80s / early 90s ones: The Dance Collection, Anthology, Endless Summer. I'm not sure that there's a compilation that gets all the single versions correct. The latterday re-edit of "Could It Be Magic" has become standard but it's a rewriting of history as it cuts out much of the heavy breathing sections of the original 45. "Heaven Knows" isn't usually the correct version either. There were multiple edits of "Love to Love You Baby" so it's debatable about which is "correct".

"Best possible sources" is a favourite of record companies when they don't have mastertapes for the audio they're putting out.

by Anonymousreply 199July 23, 2019 12:35 AM

My partner loves "Dinner With Gershwin", which I don't really like, so whenever he plays it I sing, "I wanna talk moods with Picasso...I wanna ride gocarts with Mozart". Annoys him to no end.

by Anonymousreply 200July 23, 2019 12:35 AM

There was a point there in the late '90s/early '00s when a new Donna compilation came out every other week.

Gold is a good one, too.

On the Radio, of course, is amazing although it has truncated versions of Hot Stuff and Bad Girls and No More Tears goes on for 11 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 201July 23, 2019 12:40 AM

"Down, Deep Inside" - Donna's song from THE DEEP - should be on more of her Disco compilations. It even has some moans in it!

I have 'The Dance Collection' but there are still some versions that do not include all of the "pieces" of various extended versions.

Like, I remember another, longer "Bad Girls" - NOT a DJ release - with more to it, but all the comps have the long album version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202July 23, 2019 12:41 AM

The second disc of the Bad Girls deluxe edition has a bunch of extended versions, including the rare extended version of On the Radio.

In 2012, there were some Japanese reissues of Donna's Casablanca albums in replica mini-LP style packaging. They look and sound stunning!

by Anonymousreply 203July 23, 2019 12:44 AM

Hmmmm... The original single disc CD of LIVE AND MORE from 1990 has "Down, Deep Inside" on it. I need to find the single disc version!

I already have "MacArthur Park Suite" on THE DANCE COLLECTION.

by Anonymousreply 204July 23, 2019 12:46 AM

I think "Walk Away" is slightly truncated on the Dance Collection.

by Anonymousreply 205July 23, 2019 12:51 AM

Is there a full length version of "Could It Be Magic" that doesn't have distortion towards the end? The material has been reissued so many times, I assume the distortion is on the mixdowns and/or multitracks.

by Anonymousreply 206July 23, 2019 12:53 AM

Ugh! I guess I need the 2003 BAD GIRLS reissue to get the full "Walk Away"?

Plus, which CD release has the FULL ULTIMATE UNCUT "Love To Love You, Baby?"

by Anonymousreply 207July 23, 2019 12:53 AM

[Quote] I already have "MacArthur Park Suite" on THE DANCE COLLECTION.

But do you have the 12" version?

by Anonymousreply 208July 23, 2019 12:53 AM

No, which release is that on? Ultimate Collection? I saw it was on only one compilation but I can't find it now!

by Anonymousreply 209July 23, 2019 12:54 AM

[Quote] Ugh! I guess I need the 2003 BAD GIRLS reissue to get the full "Walk Away"?

If you're fond of a Grand 12" Inches, I'd recommend the volume that has "Walk Away" over the DE Bad Girls. It would certainly pair better with those 90s CDs, which aren't maximised.

by Anonymousreply 210July 23, 2019 12:54 AM

Here's the volume with "Walk Away."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211July 23, 2019 12:56 AM

I don't know what release you mean, R210, concerning the longest, best "Walk Away."

by Anonymousreply 212July 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Oh my God. Years ago, I used to be on a Donna Summer message board and there was a guy who knew every version of each song. Like he'd say, "That's the 3:42 edit. There's also a 3:45 edit that's more popularly known" and I'd think, "How different can these versions be with just one or three extra seconds?". Nonetheless, It was fascinating how he could tell you every difference--"There's an extra 'Ooh' on the fade on the 3:39 edit"--and where each version was available.

by Anonymousreply 213July 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Ugh, is that a DJ Mix of "Walk Away"? I want the original versions, original extended versions, not DJ remixes from later eras.

by Anonymousreply 214July 23, 2019 12:57 AM

There's a deal on Ben Liebrand's website where you pay a one off fee and get upgrades and additional mixes for free. Here's the list of the ones for Volume 14. It's worth it if you like alternate and hard to find mixes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 23, 2019 12:57 AM

R213, I can do that with every Stevie Nicks song. EVERY VERSION.

by Anonymousreply 216July 23, 2019 12:58 AM

No, it's the original mix. The same mix is on The Dance Collection but faded early. Liebrand sometimes puts his own remixes on those compilations but they're always labelled as such.

by Anonymousreply 217July 23, 2019 12:59 AM

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it!

by Anonymousreply 218July 23, 2019 1:00 AM

[Quote] Oh my God. Years ago, I used to be on a Donna Summer message board and there was a guy who knew every version of each song. Like he'd say, "That's the 3:42 edit. There's also a 3:45 edit that's more popularly known" and I'd think, "How different can these versions be with just one or three extra seconds?". Nonetheless, It was fascinating how he could tell you every difference--"There's an extra 'Ooh' on the fade on the 3:39 edit"--and where each version was available.

Funny you say that because I think the version of "Heaven Only Knows" on the Donna Summer Anthology (1993) is the single version but with an extra 10 or 15 seconds - and it's not a longer fade, that extra part has to be cut out to get the correct edit. I only know this stuff because of the internet and uberfans. Top40musiconcd.com is a good resource. And of course, YouTube, where people often upload audio from their vinyl singles collections.

by Anonymousreply 219July 23, 2019 1:03 AM

[Quote] No, which release is that on? Ultimate Collection? I saw it was on only one compilation but I can't find it now!

It's on The Casablanca Records Story. It runs about 10 seconds shorter (circa 17:33) than the LP version by trimming down part of "One of a Kind" and inserting the remixed single version of "Heaven Knows". I don't think it plays as well as the LP version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220July 23, 2019 1:16 AM

The 12" MacArthur Park Suite is also on th Deluxe Bad Girls and a couple of other comps, such as the one at the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221July 23, 2019 1:18 AM

I like the short versions so I prefer On The Radio for the edited disco era songs ( I can't stand 15 minute versions of songs - enough is enough!) and the second CD of the Anthology for her edited 80s hits.

by Anonymousreply 222July 23, 2019 1:21 AM

I meant the actual 12" Version of "MacArthur Park" without the Suite.

It's 10:40 and is quite different. I want it on CD but can't find the correct release.

by Anonymousreply 223July 23, 2019 1:25 AM

Do you have a link to a non-CD/original vinyl release of this 10:40 version? I've never heard of it. "Gold" has a Promo Verison that runs over 6 minutes, but that's the longest one I've encountered.

by Anonymousreply 224July 23, 2019 1:31 AM

I got it from a free mp3 site and it sounds flawless.

by Anonymousreply 225July 23, 2019 1:37 AM

Probably a fan edit, then.

by Anonymousreply 226July 23, 2019 1:39 AM

my dash free dash mp3s dot com

Then search: Donna Summer MacArthur Park and it is the one that is 10:40.

I have used this site for years with no pop-ups, no viruses, nothing. I only use it for things I can’t find commercially.

by Anonymousreply 227July 23, 2019 1:42 AM

I have driven hundreds of miles just blasted Donna non stop. Same for Aretha and Tina Turner.

There are very few artists with a catalog as strong as Donna Summers with the voice and skill to back it up.

She has my vote for making the nine hour drive from DC to Albany NY passable.

by Anonymousreply 228July 23, 2019 1:53 AM

I love "Looking Up" that was posted upthread. That one could've been a decent hit single, if it had been promoted well. David Geffen really fucked things up, for reasons mentioned above. Not just with Donna, but the other artists on his label in the early 80s. There could've been some major hit songs out of their respective albums in that era, if Geffen and co. had known how to properly promote and market things. What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 229July 23, 2019 2:01 AM

Any help on the longest, most complete LOVE TO LOVE YOU, BABY?

by Anonymousreply 230July 23, 2019 2:20 AM

The original *album* version clocks in over 16 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 231July 23, 2019 2:23 AM

I believe the original album version is the longest, most complete version.

by Anonymousreply 232July 23, 2019 3:13 AM

The 10:40 “MacArthur Park” is mixed very differently than on the Suite, most notably at 3:09 and from 6:50 to 7:50. Some very different percussion.

Fan made?

by Anonymousreply 233July 23, 2019 12:46 PM

r200 i love you and your partner. i'm a huge fan of 'dinner with gershwin'. i sometimes interchange nasty lyrics to songs just for the fun of it.

"I wanna get fucked by you"

"my circle jerk fantasy will be complete"

by Anonymousreply 234July 23, 2019 12:47 PM

About David Geffen: on a PBS show on his life, when he started Asylum records in the early 70s it was ex pected that Laura Nyro would be his big signee since Geffen managed her and made her rich from selling her catalogue. But Nyro signed with Clive Davis and Columbia records blindsiding Geffen. Maybe Laura knew how hard it was to deal with Geffen and was an inkling of what Donna, Neil Young and Elton John would go through with Geffen.

by Anonymousreply 235July 23, 2019 12:58 PM

That 10:40 "MacArthur Park" has a few slight 1990s flourishes in the drums, so I think it's a fan-made thing. But it is true to the original. It's Disco, not some "2007 Reinvention Mix" or anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 236July 23, 2019 1:28 PM

It's made by a fan who had blog at one time: MACARTHUR PARK BEST FULL VERSION REMIX BY JANDRY. I grabbed it off youtube long ago (and is still posted there).

by Anonymousreply 237July 23, 2019 1:53 PM

He did a great job. There is one little 1990s type drum effect around 6:50 or so that takes me out of 1978, but, otherwise, it's perfect.

by Anonymousreply 238July 23, 2019 3:17 PM

I just got the 18-minute "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It" and now I'm obsessed with this song!

I previously only knew the version on ON THE RADIO, which has the coolest ever fade into "I Feel Love."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 23, 2019 3:43 PM

The DiscoTech Remix from 1993 adds in the saxophone solo from the Instrumental version.

This is fantastic!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 23, 2019 3:56 PM

There's also this, which should contain all the remixes that made it to the official singles releases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 23, 2019 5:42 PM

Those British reissue labels may put effort in to the packaging, but they so often drop the ball on sourcing mastertapes. And I've read that it's often deliberate. The recent reissue of a LaToya Jackson album saw the compiler contacting fans for WAV files of the original CD release, thereby cutting financial corners - the label that owns the recordings charges a fee for transfers of the masters, on top of the fee for licensing the material. They also ask fans for their vinyl, which is why some of those vinyl transfers are awful - the vinyl used has been well played, and not necessarily with care.

by Anonymousreply 242July 23, 2019 6:07 PM

Back in 2003, I was contacted by Warner Bros. about my copies of Master Reels of a certain monstrously famous band with a very popular female singer. WB wanted a copy of my Master Reel copy of an outtake version of one of the band's biggest hits, written and sung by the famous woman.

I gave them a lossless CD of the Master Reel, but they decided their copy and my copy were of the same quality, so I did not get a credit or anything when the reissued album with bonus tracks came out in 2004.

It blows my mind how lax big record companies have been with master recordings.

by Anonymousreply 243July 23, 2019 6:14 PM

Is that reissue of ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME worth getting?

All those remixes but are any of them worth it?

by Anonymousreply 244July 23, 2019 6:40 PM

Very true r242. When I see the labels Cherry Pop, Cherry Red, Edsel, Demon, etc., I take a deep breath. Many vinyl rips. I bought reissues of the Thompson Twins early albums, Kim Wilde's Another Step and lots of snap, crackle, pop.

One of the very worst - perhaps the worst - errors was just days after Pete Burns' death, Demon released a box set commemorating Dead Or Alive's career. The box set was full of errors. So many errors they had to reissue 10 (!) discs of the box set, more than half of the discs in the set.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245July 24, 2019 1:46 AM

[quote] I just got the 18-minute "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It" and now I'm obsessed with this song!

When I was in the studio, drafting, I would listen to the unabridged version over and over. It is a fabulous track.

by Anonymousreply 246July 24, 2019 5:45 AM

Try Me I Know We Can Make It is phenomenal. Not one of her best known songs, but imo one of her best. The long version is great to play when you're driving.

by Anonymousreply 247July 24, 2019 5:47 AM

Looking for Mr. Goodbar used both Try Me I Know I Can Make It and Could It Be Magic to great effect.

by Anonymousreply 248July 24, 2019 5:48 AM

Of your choices OP, This Time I Know... is my favorite, but Dinner With Gershwin is highly underrated. In fact, the All Systems Go album is great as a whole. Love Only the Fool Survives, Love Shock and Thinkin’ About My Baby from that album too.

by Anonymousreply 249July 24, 2019 6:12 AM

The late Tony Viramontes did the cover art for All Systems Go and Janet’s Control.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250July 24, 2019 6:17 AM

Big Little Lies used Try Me I Know We Can Make It and Lucky in the disco party episode from this season. Two not so well known songs of hers, but two of the best IMO.

by Anonymousreply 251July 24, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote] The recent reissue of a LaToya Jackson album saw the compiler contacting fans for WAV files

Why, dear Lord, would anyone reissue any LaToya album?

by Anonymousreply 252July 24, 2019 7:00 PM

[quote] The late Tony Viramontes did the cover art for All Systems Go and Janet’s Control.

this is so emblematic of Donna Summer after the disco years. She lurched from style to style desperate to land somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 253July 24, 2019 7:01 PM

Too bad Donna didn't hook up with M People - their classy, mature house sound would have suited her and definitely more musically sophisticated than SAW.

by Anonymousreply 254July 25, 2019 1:57 AM

M People's output, even though it became more and more beige with time, would have been much more bearable without Heather Small's vocals.

by Anonymousreply 255July 25, 2019 2:01 AM

R255 Agreed. Take the first two albums, a bit from Bizarre Fruit and destroy the rest.

by Anonymousreply 256July 25, 2019 2:26 AM

70s sinner Donna has taken over this thread from 80s born again Donna

by Anonymousreply 257July 25, 2019 8:24 PM

Seventies Cocaine Donna is much more interesting than Eighties Born Again Donna.

The COCAINE in this 1976 video!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258July 26, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote] 70s sinner Donna has taken over this thread from 80s born again Donna

The Devil is always at work, Chile.

by Anonymousreply 259July 26, 2019 4:42 PM

That "Try Me, I Know We Can Make It" video has Donna more coked out than Stevie Nicks at her cokiest!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260July 26, 2019 4:52 PM

Wow Stevie was clearly chemically altered in that vid! She's lucky she survived all of that.

by Anonymousreply 261July 26, 2019 5:21 PM

stop trying to derail a perfectly good donna summer in the eighties thread with stevie nicks shit. start your own goddamned thread about SN if you're so fuckin' hot to talk about her. like she doesn't get enough attention already. fuck!

by Anonymousreply 262July 26, 2019 11:11 PM

R262 is Lindsey Buckingham

by Anonymousreply 263July 27, 2019 1:19 AM

What exactly prompted Donna to become born again? It's always been vague. It's been attributed to she didn't like the sex kitten image, she was overworked, etc. Did she ever admit it was drugs?

by Anonymousreply 264July 27, 2019 1:44 AM

Donna admitted she was on various pills, but never said anything about coke or other hard drugs.

Her huge fame in the 70s was very uncomfortable for her and she didn't deal with it well.

by Anonymousreply 265July 27, 2019 2:03 AM

So, who was the most successful disco act? Donna? The Bee Gees? I know KC and the Sunshine Band had 5 straight No. 1 songs on Billboard.

by Anonymousreply 266July 27, 2019 2:11 AM

Love Is In Control for me.

The first night I walked into a gay bar that song was playing. I knew the voice and relaxed.

I’ll never forget the next two songs, either: Gloria and The Visitors. Never heard them before, but my soul knew I was home.

by Anonymousreply 267July 27, 2019 2:40 AM

Oh my god r258 that video was super eurotrash, those cheesy dancers! And Donna was so out of it......

by Anonymousreply 268July 27, 2019 4:28 AM

Oh my god r258 that video was super eurotrash, those cheesy dancers! And Donna was so out of it......

by Anonymousreply 269July 27, 2019 4:28 AM

Donna couldn't even sing soul/r&b music. She had about as much soul as Condi Rice. She was a Republican too.

by Anonymousreply 270July 27, 2019 4:41 AM

[QUOTE] Seventies Cocaine Donna is much more interesting than Eighties Born Again Donna.

of course, just like cocaine Stevie Nicks is much more interesting than sluggy fat Klonopin Stevis.

by Anonymousreply 271July 27, 2019 7:47 PM

[quote] What exactly prompted Donna to become born again? It's always been vague.

Donna's sister Dara had become involved in essentially a Christian cult and was trying to get Donna to join. At first she forbid the pastor or whoever ran the cult, from being allowed on her property. I read this in her auto-bio, she said it was just after the Jim Jones tragedy and she didn't want anything to do with him. But eventually caved and fell head over heels into Born-Again Christianity. She'd become a chronic insomniac since becoming famous and claimed this was the only thing that finally cured it.

by Anonymousreply 272July 27, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote] Seventies Cocaine Donna is much more interesting than Eighties Born Again Donna.

It's all about sex, drugs & rock 'n roll. That's what makes music fun and exciting. It's an escape from your everyday life.

When Donna "grew up" and became religious and preachy, then her music lost its edge. It wasn't fun and sexy anymore. That's why so few older musicians make good music as they get older.

This video from 1978 shows that Donna was a compelling performer when she was high and still a sinner. That period only lasted for a short time, unfortunately.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273July 28, 2019 4:41 AM

R272, I would imagine her 'chronic insomnia' might have been assuaged if she had just stopped taking copious amounts of cocaine...

by Anonymousreply 274July 28, 2019 5:38 PM

I wonder if she was on diet pills (speed) back then as well. Donna got bottom heavy really easily.

by Anonymousreply 275July 28, 2019 10:55 PM

That's because she was having dinner with Gershwin and desserts with everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 276July 29, 2019 12:57 AM

Too bad she didn’t make it into her eighties.

by Anonymousreply 277July 29, 2019 1:04 AM

[Quote] That's because she was having dinner with Gershwin

and he didn't touch his food. Donna wasn't wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 278July 29, 2019 1:23 AM

I had three kids you cunts! And you wonder why I turned my back on you?!

by Anonymousreply 279July 29, 2019 1:53 AM

It's no surprise that Donna's biggest songs in the '80s were She Works Hard for the Money and This Time I Know it's For Real. Upbeat songs, danceable.

Donna just wasn't as much fun in the '80s. She became judgmental, joyless.

Her so-called apology just seemed like another excuse to push her own agenda. That whole thing about how she had her own issues just reeked of condescension. If she loved the gays so much she would have just apologized for any misunderstanding and said how much she loves her gay fans and how they'd been a huge part of her success.

She's lucky she didn't become Born Again during social media. There definitely would have been videos of her saying those comments about AIDS. I love Donna and her music, but I totally believe she said those things despite her denials.

by Anonymousreply 280July 29, 2019 2:52 AM

There's no evidence from the time period that Donna said any anti-gay stuff in any public forum. As has been said, if a star as big as Donna was in the early 80s had said such inflammatory statements, it would've been reported in every newspaper in the country.

by Anonymousreply 281July 29, 2019 3:00 AM

"So, who was the most successful disco act? Donna? The Bee Gees? I know KC and the Sunshine Band had 5 straight No. 1 songs on Billboard."

As someone who was a teen during the late 1970s, I would have to say the Bee Gees were the most successful, if you include their entire career (1965 - 2001), with DS a close second. Third would probably be the Village People or KC.

KC and the SB may have had a few hit singles, but their popularity fizzled out after about three years (1975-1978). "Please Don't Go" (1979) was a minor hit, but by then the sunshine had turned into a small spark. KC made another hit with "Give It Up" in 1983.

by Anonymousreply 282July 29, 2019 3:06 AM

No love for Kool & The Gang. "Fresh" is still.. fresh.

by Anonymousreply 283July 29, 2019 3:08 AM

[quote] I had three kids you cunts! And you wonder why I turned my back on you?!

In Jesus's name!

by Anonymousreply 284July 29, 2019 3:11 AM

I fuckin love ANOTHER PLACE AND TIME album from 1988. It was released first in the UK then the US. "THIS TIME I KNOW IT'S FOR REAL" was my hit during the early summer of 1989.

by Anonymousreply 285July 29, 2019 12:27 PM

I have to wonder if part of the success of "This Time..." is that it sounded like a Whitney Houston song.

Houston was hot property in the late 1980s. If you know WH's voice, you can hear her singing it.

by Anonymousreply 286July 29, 2019 1:01 PM

Love Is In Control (Finger on the Trigger) was a big hit when I was first coming out, first going to gay clubs. Danced to it many a night. So, it holds a special place in my heart.

by Anonymousreply 287July 29, 2019 1:03 PM

no, whitey didn't sound like donna or vice versa. the song was a SAW production - Kylie Minogue, Bananarama, Rick Astley. No whitey.

by Anonymousreply 288July 29, 2019 1:08 PM

Not to mention Whitney was receiving backlash in 1989, being booed at the Soul Train Awards and criticized for sounding too white. It's probably why her duet with Aretha failed to crack the top 40.

by Anonymousreply 289July 29, 2019 1:59 PM

"This Time" just sounded like something off the SAW assembly line, only with a better singer than Bananarama or Kylie. It basically took Donna back to the Eurodisco sound for the first time in a decade, which is one reason I think people liked it. Never reminded me of Whitney, whose uptempo hits in the 80s were usually produced by Narada Michael Walden.

by Anonymousreply 290July 29, 2019 2:01 PM

If anything Whitney was patterned after Donna. Donna was a singer with a black church voice that had to be refined for mainstream appeal. Clive Davis specifically cited Donna's commercial success as the desired blueprint for Whitney. "This Time..." was distinguished only by its soaring Classic Donna Summer vocal, which sounded like no one else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291July 29, 2019 3:52 PM

If anything Whitney was patterned after Donna. Donna was a singer with a black church voice that had to be refined for mainstream appeal. Clive Davis specifically cited Donna's commercial success as the desired blueprint for Whitney. "This Time..." was distinguished only by its soaring Classic Donna Summer vocal, which sounded like no one else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292July 29, 2019 3:52 PM

[quote] If anything Whitney was patterned after Donna.

Giorgio Moroder was asked to produce Whitney's debut album but turned her down. One of his biggest regrets along with also turning down Madonna and Duran Duran.

by Anonymousreply 293July 29, 2019 5:54 PM

[Quote] a black church voice that had to be refined for mainstream appeal

Nonsense. Donna had been performing in German musical theatre since the late 1960s. She did not need any edges sawn off her voice.

by Anonymousreply 294July 29, 2019 7:55 PM

Giorgio produced on Janet Jackson’s second album. He didn’t give a shit about Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295July 29, 2019 9:28 PM

Moroder was already cold by the time Madonna was tapping Nile Rodgers to produce her.

by Anonymousreply 296July 29, 2019 9:32 PM

In R292's photo, Donna and Whitney look like they can't stand each other. It must have been hard for Donna, knowing the photographer wanted the photo of the old diva meeting the new diva. The entertainment industry can't wait to push out established stars to make way for the the up and coming talent.

by Anonymousreply 297July 29, 2019 9:40 PM

I don't think Donna cared about Whitney or anyone else replacing her. Once she was in the shadows of that crazy peak of 1978-1979-1980, I think she really gave her career little real attention. Yes, she made albums and keot writing but she got lazy during the Geffen years I always said it was funny how she claimed becoming born-again gave her so much happiness because she looked and sounded so joyless between 1980 and 1989. Even most of her "upbeat" songs from that period sound as if she's just singing but not feeling any joy. Then she has the SAW Comeback... And again... Laziness. She delivered what I think was a great, creative follow up in Mistaken Identity but then she just meandered from greatest hits album to greatest hits album, one off singles here and there, always promising a new album but never quite getting it together. You can say that it was Polygram's fault or Sony's fault or Universal's fault but, really, it was her fault. She always had the name. She always had an audience. She claimed God gave her the gift of song, but she was really lazy with it. She should have created much more than she did, particularly in the 90's, when her kids were mostly grown and she had an on again off again resurgence in the clubs. But she was lazy.

by Anonymousreply 298July 29, 2019 10:01 PM

Her 90s singles mostly flopped. It's no surprise that she and the record company didn't invest in an album during that time.

by Anonymousreply 299July 29, 2019 10:18 PM

Her Live and More album did decent sales. But like r298 states, it was really just a retread. Donna singing her hits. Sounding good though. The two new songs Con Te Partiro and Love is the Healer were good and hit #1 on the Dance charts.

But r298 is right. She got lazy. And kept touring. She probably liked that aspect because she could work when she wanted.

But she should have had more hits in the '80s and '90s.

by Anonymousreply 300July 30, 2019 1:40 AM

[Quote] hit #1 on the Dance charts.

That doesn't mean dollars were made.

by Anonymousreply 301July 30, 2019 1:42 AM

Who the fuck cares about how many units sold??!! Do you only listen to platinum selling music? If so, you’re limited.

by Anonymousreply 302July 30, 2019 1:46 AM

[Quote] Who the fuck cares about how many units sold??!! Do you only listen to platinum selling music? If so, you’re limited.

Donna Summer was a pop star. Donna Summer had no interest in being a DIY/Indie artist. In that era, sales mattered. If she'd had big hits, she'd have had albums in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 303July 30, 2019 1:49 AM

Crayons - 2008 (This also happens to be the last disc I've purchased. I really don't see myself buying physical audio media anymore).

To Paris With Love - 2010

We've mentioned every part of her original recordings discography from 1969 forward except this.

Now we have.

by Anonymousreply 304July 30, 2019 1:54 AM

Donna herself admitted she was very happy being Mrs. Sudano and raising her two younger daughters in Nashville. She was happier doing that than being focused on her career.

by Anonymousreply 305July 30, 2019 1:55 AM

She liked to paint.

by Anonymousreply 306July 30, 2019 1:58 AM

I think Donna Summer was through with the industry by the late 90s. The collapse of the Sony deal was demoralizing to her. Her interest shifted to other things. "Crayons" was not her best work but "I'm A Fire" was a great track -- as close as she got to disco grandeur in her latter years.

by Anonymousreply 307July 30, 2019 2:02 AM

Crayons was a good album. Stamp your feet and the remixes.

by Anonymousreply 308July 30, 2019 2:07 AM

Donna did a fantastic song called "Love On and On" in the late 90s. It sounded a lot like her disco heyday. It was supposed to be the theme song for the Studio 54 movie (the one with Ryan Phillippe) but Donna saw a rough cut of the movie, HATED it, and withdrew the song. It was never formally released but it could've been a hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309July 30, 2019 2:15 AM

The processing on her vocal in "I'm a Fire" is oppressive.

I'd never hear that track, r309. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 310July 30, 2019 2:41 AM

R309, while it’s a great disco song, it would never have been a hit in the 1990s. Radio was slowly bringing the dance sound back but conspicuously avoided anything by Donna Summer from the disco era.

by Anonymousreply 311July 30, 2019 2:58 AM

It may not have been a Top 40 hit, but it could've still been a hit.

by Anonymousreply 312July 30, 2019 3:01 AM

It might have done OK in the UK. Throwback sounds are often better received there.

by Anonymousreply 313July 30, 2019 3:07 AM

She did a special on ABC when Bad Girls was released. I remember watching it at my grandmother's house on her big RCA television set. It actually was pretty good.

My grandmother followed Hollywood closely and knew who everyone was and who they were dating. I'll never forget her saying, "I like Donna Summer. I think she's a high-class colored woman."

by Anonymousreply 314July 30, 2019 4:08 AM

LOL r314. For a woman of your grandmother's generation that really was a compliment.

Donna always did give a "classy" presentation.

by Anonymousreply 315July 30, 2019 4:12 AM

not that I am consciously being a fan of Donna who finds her easy to defend and admire, but yeah, I guess that is me. Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston had and continue to have ( Janet) a lot of failures. For me, it is who had the best voice that lasted the longest and never stopped showing her creativity and that is Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 316July 30, 2019 4:15 AM

Janet's voice has lasted the longest. It's in mint, unopened condition.

by Anonymousreply 317July 30, 2019 4:21 AM

Donna doing a song for 54 would have been great. Once again, she was judgmental and didn't want her name associated with anything sexual. Yawn.

But at least we got the cover of If You Could Read My Mind.

by Anonymousreply 318July 30, 2019 4:24 AM

"Love On and On" is fucking fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 319July 30, 2019 4:31 AM

I'm surprised the song didn't go to someone else, even as an album track. It could have been rearranged in a more general dance pop style.

by Anonymousreply 320July 30, 2019 4:35 AM

If Donna didn't want Love On and On to be a part of the 54 movie, she could've just released it as a single. It really had potential. Seems like a missed opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 321July 30, 2019 4:37 AM

It was remixed and placed as a B-side on some of the Con Te Partiro CD maxi singles.

Great song and would have been perfect for

by Anonymousreply 322July 30, 2019 4:43 AM

54. Should have released a full studio album in 1999 with Con Te Partiro, Love is the Healer, Love On and On and more.

by Anonymousreply 323July 30, 2019 4:44 AM

r323 that was such an obvious choice, I wonder why it didn't happen.

Donna had some missed opportunities in her post-disco career. There were some obvious missteps that if they hadn't occurred, could've resulted in some hit songs and albums. Was it bad judgement on her part, bad management or a little of both? Or maybe it was the Churchy shit? As has been mentioned, she refused several songs that went on to become big hits, she didn't do a second album with SAW, I think she turned down the Pet Shop Boys when they were at their peak, and a few others.

by Anonymousreply 324July 30, 2019 4:57 AM

[Quote] she turned down the Pet Shop Boys when they were at their peak

Is there more on this?

by Anonymousreply 325July 30, 2019 4:58 AM

r325 I half-remember reading that. It was apparently in the late 80s/early 90s when the PSB were at their height, and they wanted to do an album with Donna but she turned them down.

by Anonymousreply 326July 30, 2019 5:03 AM

That's a shame. I know lots of people love that Liza PSB album but her singing is basically reciting, I can never warm to those tracks. They should have done two Dusty Springfield albums, but I guess Liza was easier.

by Anonymousreply 327July 30, 2019 5:10 AM

I think the Liza album was genius. Still love it 30 years later.

The PSB-produced half of Dusty's Reputation album is far superior to the other tracks.

PSB also didn't get to work with Madonna, although they remixed Sorry.

I don't think a second album with SAW would have worked for Donna. By the early '90s, SAW was on its way out.

by Anonymousreply 328July 30, 2019 5:29 AM

[Quote] The PSB-produced half of Dusty's Reputation album is far superior to the other tracks.

I used to think that but "Send It to Me" and "Time Waits For No One" have emerged as my favourites (overexposure to the singles has probably played a part). Springfield favoured them as singles as well, apparently. The Goffin/King cover is inessential and rather jarring next to the final track.

[Quote] I don't think a second album with SAW would have worked for Donna. By the early '90s, SAW was on its way out.

Sybill's "When I'm Good and Ready" could have been a nice little hit for Donna. "Better the Devil You Know" would have been elevated hugely by Donna's vocal. I have no idea what tracks she would actually have been given, besides the aformentioned Lonnie Gordon track(s).

by Anonymousreply 329July 30, 2019 5:37 AM

Donna probably could've turned "Happenin' All Over Again" into a decent hit. It was a song that was perfect for her. Not that Lonnie's version wasn't good.

by Anonymousreply 330July 30, 2019 5:41 AM

[quote]Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston had and continue to have ( Janet) a lot of failures.

Janet’s last album was as a number 1, garnered her her best reviews in nearly two decades and she recently went into the Rock Hall and has been garnering great reviews for her latest tours and her Vegas residency.

by Anonymousreply 331July 30, 2019 5:01 PM

Donna and Liza did a god-awful duet together in1996. It was a cover of a Reba McEntire/Faith Hill duet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332July 30, 2019 11:10 PM

Um, excuse me r332. Faith Hill????

by Anonymousreply 333July 30, 2019 11:16 PM

Great G-d Almighty, that duet with Liza is awful.

by Anonymousreply 334July 30, 2019 11:22 PM

Donna Summer is dead. not sure what can be accomplished by imagining what she could have or should have done. She is for me, a musical Icon and I am glad to feel that way. My memories of discovering her music are mighty damn powerful and I am glad for it. And I really do appreciate this thread.

by Anonymousreply 335July 31, 2019 8:03 AM

Does anyone know what happened with the Sony album 'Angel' that was due out circa 2000?.

Donna's old website had flips of tracks like 'Valley of the Moon' and nothing was ever mentioned of that album as the years passed.

by Anonymousreply 336August 5, 2019 5:40 PM

Go see the musical SUMMER if it comes to your town. As a Donna Summer, it was almost like a religious experience to hear her songs accompany the story of her life. One of the best times I've ever had in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 337August 5, 2019 5:57 PM

[quote] Janet’s last album was as a number 1, garnered her her best reviews in nearly two decades and she recently went into the Rock Hall and has been garnering great reviews for her latest tours and her Vegas residency.

Please. No one BOUGHT Janet's last album. The charts have little meaning now as people just stream bits of songs because they're curious. The album absolutely flopped as did her tour

by Anonymousreply 338August 5, 2019 5:59 PM

It's too bad Donna and Giorgio didn't continue to work together. Who knows what they would've done together in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 339August 5, 2019 7:23 PM

Valley of the Moon leaked a few years ago and was fricking intense. Very Love is the Healer/You're So Beautiful. A very club-oriented track with great vocals and lyrics. It really needs to be released commercially.

by Anonymousreply 340August 5, 2019 8:11 PM

[quote]Please. No one BOUGHT Janet's last album. The charts have little meaning now as people just stream bits of songs because they're curious. The album absolutely flopped as did her tour

If you’re going to attempt shade, then at least know what the fuck you’re talking about. Janet’s last album was indie and did very well for an indie album, debuting at #1 and garnering excellent reviews. Her tour also did very well, hence the reason it was extended for several years.

by Anonymousreply 341August 5, 2019 9:18 PM

[quote] Does anyone know what happened with the Sony album 'Angel' that was due out circa 2000?.

Never completed, they'd done about 2/3 of it and then 911 happened. Donna was staying in an apartment near ground zero and it was traumatizing for her. She went back home to Nashville and then they couldn't get her to fly back to NYC to complete the album. Donna dragged her feet about it until Sony gave up and cancelled the album. Here's an example of how much her music had matured and how good it was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342August 5, 2019 9:41 PM

One of her final releases.

To Paris With Love 2010

This is called the Cha Cha version by some. There is an upbeat club version I'll see if I can find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343August 5, 2019 10:34 PM

Here is the club version.

To Paris With Love (WaWa remix)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344August 5, 2019 10:36 PM

I'm sure Giorgio knew that once Donna became born again their work together was coming to an end r339. The Wanderer is a strong album but it's not very fun and I'm sure Giorgio was wanting to do more synth-heavy work. Romeo from the Flashdance soundtrack is a good example of their '80s work. Donna probably could have done some '80s film themes if she had stayed with Giorgio.

by Anonymousreply 345August 6, 2019 2:28 AM

I've read that Giorgio got frustrated with Donna once she started with the Jesus shit because she didn't want to sing the sexy stuff anymore. It appears that he just said "fuck it" and went his separate way.

by Anonymousreply 346August 6, 2019 2:37 AM

^Blasphemer!!

by Anonymousreply 347August 6, 2019 2:54 AM

R340 - The leak is a circuit party style remix. The original version is a beautiful song with verses and much more pop, similar in style to the remix Metro did for Diana Ross on 'Not Over You Yet'.

by Anonymousreply 348August 6, 2019 10:06 AM

R342 - She had worked with multiple producers, in various studios around the world, on that project. She sunk into a deep depression after 9/11 and got out of her contract is what I heard.

She also had the soundtrack to the musical 'Ordinary Girl' recorded.

Her husband Bruce Sudano is more interested in focussing on his own solo career (which few people care for) than maintaining Donna's legacy. Despite fans constantly pushing him to release stuff.

Nathan Di Gesarre has a ton of material which will not see the light of day thanks to Sudano's pig headedness.

by Anonymousreply 349August 6, 2019 10:13 AM

Ross' Brit record company should have had Metro remix the whole album. The hit version of "Not Over You Yet" was unrepresentative of the album.

by Anonymousreply 350August 6, 2019 10:22 AM

Although it isn't a real box set, the only thing we have that comes close is 2016's "Ultimate Collection" in the 3-CD version.

It includes everything from her early-1970s German recordings through 2010's "To Paris With Love".

Still waiting for a REAL and true 4-CD box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351August 6, 2019 2:45 PM

I'd like to hear her post Casablanca material reimagined in her classic Casablanca style.

by Anonymousreply 352August 6, 2019 2:59 PM

[quote] If you’re going to attempt shade, then at least know what the fuck you’re talking about. Janet’s last album was indie and did very well for an indie album, debuting at #1 and garnering excellent reviews. Her tour also did very well, hence the reason it was extended for several years.

According to Wiki, Janet Jackson's last Album sold 253,000, the worst of her last 9 albums by far. Her tour was extended solely because she decided to get pregnant just as it was beginning. It was placed on hiatus until she had the baby.

Her career is over

by Anonymousreply 353August 6, 2019 4:50 PM

So is Donna's, to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 354August 6, 2019 4:52 PM

[quote]According to Wiki, Janet Jackson's last Album sold 253,000, the worst of her last 9 albums by far. Her tour was extended solely because she decided to get pregnant just as it was beginning. It was placed on hiatus until she had the baby.

Janet’s last album was independently released and STILL debuted at #1, putting her in yet another record book. Her tour was postponed until she had her baby and then went on for another two years to rave reviews, and she was just inducted into the Rock Hall.

The only thing that’s over is your hairline.

by Anonymousreply 355August 6, 2019 5:33 PM

Please fuck off with the Janet shit. This is a Donna Summer thread.

by Anonymousreply 356August 6, 2019 8:27 PM

R342 I've never heard she had the entire OG recorded. If not Bruce why don't the daughters release her music?

by Anonymousreply 357August 6, 2019 9:30 PM

Bruce Sudano is an ass. He always seemed controlling and as if he envied his wife's success. The idea that he continues to record while sitting on a vault of unreleased Donna Summer material speaks volumes about his ego.

by Anonymousreply 358August 6, 2019 10:00 PM

I've always thought that Joe Bean Esposito, who was one third of Sudano's '70s singing group Brooklyn Dreams, was totally hot. His soulful baritone complimented Donna's voice well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359August 7, 2019 12:19 AM

"Valley Of The Moon" is not very good.

Is this "Love Machine" really Donna singing? From an allegedly scrapped 1976 album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360August 7, 2019 12:35 AM

"I Feel LOVE for COCAINE!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361August 7, 2019 12:37 AM

Allegedly is right, "Love Machine" was just a hoax debunked 20 yrs ago.

by Anonymousreply 362August 7, 2019 12:38 AM

That link isn't Donna singing?

by Anonymousreply 363August 7, 2019 12:39 AM

Haven't listened, does it matter? If it is her it's something that was officially released and isn't a rarity. The Casablanca vault has been emptied out of all her recording for decades.

by Anonymousreply 364August 7, 2019 12:43 AM

R345, I agree that "The Wanderer" was a very strong album. "Cold Love" and Who Do You Think You're Fooling" were great, and the title song was her highest charting song post-disco (tied with "She Works Hard For The Money"). The one DS album I could listen to all the way through, over and over.

by Anonymousreply 365August 7, 2019 12:43 AM

Here's how I fantasized Donna's 80's career going if she didn't become a fundie:

The Wanderer

Slow Hand

Gloria

Love Is In Control

Flashdance (What A Feeling)

She Works Hard for the Money

Unconditional Love

Jump (For My Love)

Let's Hear It For The Boy

Take My Breath Away

I Wanna Dance With Somebody

I've Had The Time of My Life

One Moment In Time

This Time I Know It's For Real

by Anonymousreply 366August 7, 2019 12:46 AM

The Wanderer was an acceptable move in 1980. The critics loved it and it went gold, although just 1/3 the sales of the previous Bad Girls. Donna had wanted to do a straight forward rock album, her ambition was the be the first black female rock superstar. But why did Donna's New Wave have to be less dance-able than Blondie's and The Cars? That didn't make any sense. On paper, Donna and Giorgio should've been able to adapt to New Wave smashingly, but it didn't seem to turn out that way. Giorgio was mad Geffen shelved their next album, but he admits he didn't think it was very good and he never thought they had a hit.

by Anonymousreply 367August 7, 2019 12:52 AM

Donna shouldn't have signed with Geffen, in retrospect. She had issues with Casablanca, but they knew how to market and promote the hell out of her. She should've stayed with them. Geffen really had no clue what to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 368August 7, 2019 1:02 AM

The I'm a Rainbow album isn't bad, but with the exception of Melanie and Romeo, there isn't really a big Donna Summer hit.

The title track is beautiful, though.

I think "Cold Love" is Donna Summer's most underrated song. It has the catchiness of her disco era but it's a solid rocker. She was even nominated for Rock Female Performance for it, and the following year was nominated for Protection. She had already won in this category for Hot Stuff. It's too bad she never did a full-on rock album. Donna was so versatile.

I agree Sudano seems a bit of a lazy ass. I remember seeing Donna in concert and halfway through, guess who comes out to perform? It literally became the bathroom break of the show because he was boring. I felt a bit embarrassed for him.

Wasn't there rumblings that Donna's family was fighting with each other over her estate? I'm sure there's lots of money considering Donna co-wrote a lot of her own songs and the royalties I'm sure bring in some nice mint.

There has been some action regarding Donna's catalogue but it's usually just retreads of stuff already released. I don't even think the material has been remastered.

by Anonymousreply 369August 7, 2019 1:10 AM

[quote] I'm sure there's lots of money considering Donna co-wrote a lot of her own songs and the royalties I'm sure bring in some nice mint.

Donna also won a settlement with Casablanca in 1980 where she got the publishing rights for all her recordings. They had been selling her albums on the black market so she sued for 10 million, but ended up making twice that and more with the publishing rights. Celebrity Net Worth said she had $75 million when she died, approximately the same as Whitney's and Aretha's reported 80 million. I don't believe the stories about Donna's daughters fighting over the inheritance, it's all still with their father anyway.

by Anonymousreply 370August 7, 2019 1:46 AM

I love the totally underrated IF IT HURTS JUST A LITTLE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371August 7, 2019 2:09 AM

...which was later sampled in Cassius 1999

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372August 7, 2019 2:10 AM

Another track from the legendary vault has been freed.

Addicted to You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373August 7, 2019 10:46 PM

Ooooh, that is very Sade-ish! I love it.

by Anonymousreply 374August 7, 2019 10:59 PM

R366, I think "Holding Out For A Hero" is a could've-been song for Donna. It would have been a much bigger hit if she'd recorded it. Bonnie is great but doesn't have the vocal "lift" that the arrangement required.

by Anonymousreply 375August 8, 2019 3:49 PM

Never knew that Donna was offered the Dirty Dancing song. That became a monster hit. She really needed better management in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 376August 8, 2019 4:13 PM

I wish they would release the dvd of the entire Live and More concert from 1978. That was an incredible tour and Donna was at her peak glam.

by Anonymousreply 377August 8, 2019 4:19 PM

I would like to hear Silver Girl written with David Foster circa 1986. And the pre All Systems Go sessions.

by Anonymousreply 378August 8, 2019 5:10 PM

Sunset People was used in the Al Parker porn Inches. She should've used to that her defense when the whole anti-gay backlash happened.

by Anonymousreply 379August 10, 2019 6:42 PM

I think Elley Foley is credited with vocal arrangement for "Holding Out for a Hero". Perhaps she demoed it before it went to Bonnie.

by Anonymousreply 380August 10, 2019 7:08 PM

Any advice in an app to download some of these songs onto my ioad/iphone?

by Anonymousreply 381August 11, 2019 3:13 AM

No.

Go out and buy the vinyl 12" singles.

This is disco music from the 1970s and 1980s, not Lil Nas X.

by Anonymousreply 382August 11, 2019 5:13 AM

What are you talking about r382? You can download the original songs from the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 383August 11, 2019 5:30 AM

Addicted to Love is fabulous.

Open up that fucking vault already, you asshole Bruce!

by Anonymousreply 384August 11, 2019 5:41 AM

I'd be more interest to hear Addicted sans Autotune.

by Anonymousreply 385August 11, 2019 12:12 PM

R270 KC is a Republican, too.

by Anonymousreply 386October 1, 2019 6:03 AM

R376 could not have been easy to manage a bible thumping bigoted prude bitch like Donna.

by Anonymousreply 387October 1, 2019 9:24 AM

When Donna recorded Another Place and Time, I Feel Love and Love To Love You Baby were remixed together with those punchy late 80s SAW rhythm drums, and a slow down in the middle like Lil Louis' French Kiss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388October 1, 2019 10:00 AM

Last night I bent down to inhale my own musky crotch odors greedily.

by Anonymousreply 389October 1, 2019 10:28 AM

Streetlife and Last Dance

by Anonymousreply 390October 1, 2019 12:30 PM

Nobody is this talented today.

by Anonymousreply 391October 1, 2019 1:09 PM

DL fave Sam Smith just covered "I Feel Love."

by Anonymousreply 392November 1, 2019 6:30 PM

Audio

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393November 1, 2019 6:31 PM

r309's version of "Love On and On" is fantastic! Thanks for posting that.

It definitely has a 70s feel to it, but that would have been appropriate for the movie 54 since it was set in the 1970s.

With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it could have been released in the 1990s and have been a big hit. I mean, if Cher can top the charts with "Believe" in 1999, no reason Donna couldn't have as well.

by Anonymousreply 394November 2, 2019 3:30 AM

I saw this definitive 33-CD Donna Summer boxset-- "Encore" -- and immediately thought of all the 'born-again Christian' Dataloungers who would love one for their upcoming 72nd birthday. Only 1500 copies will be pressed. That hardly seems like enough. Better hurry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395February 5, 2020 4:09 PM

I saw this definitive 33-CD Donna Summer boxset-- "Encore" -- and immediately thought of all the 'born-again Christian' Dataloungers who would love one for their upcoming 72nd birthday. Only 1500 copies will be pressed. That hardly seems like enough. Better hurry!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396February 5, 2020 4:09 PM

[Quote] With a slight bit of tweaking, I think it could have been released in the 1990s and have been a big hit.

Here's the original mix, before the 54 producers approached Summer to use it on the soundtrack. I believe it remains unreleased.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397February 5, 2020 4:22 PM

[Quote] It was never formally released but it could've been a hit.

The inferior, Hex Hector remix was released as a b-side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398February 5, 2020 4:24 PM

I do not understand the thin skinned bad feelings and /or hatred for Donna and/or people who loved her music. So much joy from her music and art,,,, was fairly sure that she was a human being and humans tend to do or say things that they might later regret and would like to negate. Unless the human being is our current el presidente.

by Anonymousreply 399February 8, 2020 5:59 AM

[Quote] fairly sure that she was a human being and humans tend to do or say things that they might later regret and would like to negate.

"Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve" comments are more than an oopsie, dear.

by Anonymousreply 400February 8, 2020 1:38 PM

And her denials were so... fuzzy and disingenuous.

I think one of them was "I've got my own stuff to clean up" or some bullshit.

She denied saying these things but she never warmly embraced the gay community. She was obviously uncomfortable with a gay following.

by Anonymousreply 401February 9, 2020 7:24 AM

[Quote] Here unreleased album from the early ‘80s, I’m A Rainbow, is worth tracking down.

Tracks from this album have received fresh remixed in a "Recovered & Recolored" edition set for release in October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402June 16, 2021 9:56 AM

*remixes

by Anonymousreply 403June 16, 2021 9:56 AM

Only ten of the tracks were selected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404June 16, 2021 10:01 AM

I like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405June 25, 2021 2:17 PM

The original released version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406June 25, 2021 2:17 PM

I Feel Love was so influential, it was the beginning of electronic music. And it still sounds fantastic, like it could've been recorded last week instead of 40-plus years ago.

by Anonymousreply 407June 25, 2021 4:09 PM

Looking Up from The Wanderer could've been a big hit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408June 25, 2021 5:28 PM

This one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 409June 25, 2021 6:04 PM

What do you think of the new remixes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410November 20, 2021 1:12 AM

Does this mix take you back to 1984?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411November 20, 2021 1:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!