Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did Mike Brady Earn Enough To Afford His Lifestyle?

How realistic would it be to expect him to have a housekeeper, two cars, six kids. I guess there was insurance money too.

by Anonymousreply 431July 29, 2019 2:37 AM

Popular High Priced Boy Toy with the Rich Old Hollywood Guys & Gals.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 6:15 PM

Wasn’t he in Construction? They make bank.

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 6:17 PM

The maid worked for free

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 6:19 PM

She worked for free because she lived there with them for free.

I do think they gave her some cash weekly probably

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 6:21 PM

Yes. The kids were three to a bedroom, and nobody was paying anything significant for extracurricular in those days. Two cars was not that uncommon. Alice was the luxury, but when I was a kid one of my friends had a housekeeper who was pretty much full-time. She didn't live in, but she had a room in the house. So it wasn't unheard of in upper middle class white collar families. Except for the one trip to Hawaii, I don't recall a lot of expensive purchases or activities.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 6:21 PM

Architects can get paid very well. Although I never understood why an architect would have designed a 3 bedroom house for his family with 6 kids. And those bedrooms were pretty tiny.

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 6:22 PM

He was an architect. In what world are they broke? My friend makes tons of money.

by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 6:23 PM

Alice was an illegal immigrant. Cindy threatened to tell INS if she ever tried to leave. Fucking tattletales...

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 6:24 PM

OP, there likely wouldn't have been much insurance on the first Mrs. Brady. In that era no one would have spent money on a large insurance policy for a woman who didn't work (and who was apparently so inconsequential that her own children never mentioned her again.) Perhaps Carol got some insurance money on her dead husband, but she frittered it all away on having a housekeeper despite the fact that she never worked nor seemed to do anything other than worry about the kids.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 6:25 PM

Frasier Crane was on AM radio. How did he live so grandly even when he was unemployed?

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 6:35 PM

They pushed the kids into showbiz, let's not forget. The little brats had to sing for their supper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 6:36 PM

I always wondered what happened to the first spouses and why no one ever mentioned them. The Brady kids had no need for therapy, because they didn’t seem to give a rats ass about their dead parents.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 6:37 PM

Mike's first beard died and it was intimated that Carol was a divorcée.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 6:42 PM

Architects don't make a crazy amount of money: $50,000 to $110,000 or so. Mike Brady was supporting a wife, six children, and had a full-time housekeeper. That house actually had maybe six bedrooms, if you count: Alice's room, that "den" that Mike had, and the attic space that Greg moved into.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 6:44 PM

My question is why did Mike and Carol have to be widowed/divorced at all? Couldn't they just be a nice Catholic family with 6 children? What was it about Sherwood Schwartz that he couldn't sell a show with a bunch of children? The Waltons did it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 6:45 PM

[quote]Except for the one trip to Hawaii, I don't recall a lot of expensive purchases or activities.

Didn't Mike's firm pay for the trip to Hawaii? Sure, Alice and the kids had to sleep on the beach to save money so that Mike didn't get fired for padding his expense account, but hey, they got to Hawaii!

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 6:47 PM

R15 But then you wouldn't have the sexual tension between the step kids, which held the show together, not to mention Greg getting it on with Carol.

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 6:51 PM

[quote]My question is why did Mike and Carol have to be widowed/divorced at all? Couldn't they just be a nice Catholic family with 6 children?

Have you ever even WATCHED the first season?

ALL it was about was the characters forging relationships with each other.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 6:51 PM

FFS r12....you sucked it up and moved on...not everyone is a Meghan McCain...not everyone was a delicate flower.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2019 6:51 PM

R15 - I think there was something just slightly suggestive about it that people found titillating on a subconscious level. Unrelated adolescent kids, with each boy and girl having a corresponding same-age "sibling."

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 6:54 PM

[quote]But then you wouldn't have the sexual tension between the step kids

I got more sexual tension from Jody and Buffy than I did any of the Brady kids. And they did call the show Family AFFAIR.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 7:00 PM

Mrs. Brady had a side hustle peddling barbiturates and peyote at the PTA.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 7:03 PM

He didn't design the house for 6 kids. It was him and 3 boys and Alice downstairs. Yet they were all alone.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 7:10 PM

[Quote]I always wondered what happened to the first spouses and why no one ever mentioned them.

Especially, given Peter's age, she had to have died relatively recently.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 7:16 PM

I'm almost ashamed I remember this but Bobby actually showed a photo of his dead mother in the pilot episode. He was going to put it away so Carol wouldn't feel bad if she saw it. Mike told him that there was nothing wrong with remembering his mother, and that Carol wouldn't have a problem with it either, so he didn't have to hide it away.

Of course, as soon as the regular episodes started, that ungrateful brat Bobby never mentioned his real mother ever again.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 7:21 PM

[quote]I always wondered what happened to the first spouses and why no one ever mentioned them.

Carol's husband was a blond Nordic god. After Jan was born, he said, "I'm out of this shit" and he hooked up with a man named Gunther and they moved to Greenwich Village and were part of the Stonewall riots. In order for Carol to get more welfare money, she stole Baby Cindy from the hospital where she worked as a candy striper.

Remember the locket that was mailed to Jan mysteriously? It was sent by her father and he had bought it one night at The Eagle. The moment Carol saw it, she knew it smelled of Crisco, a smell she was very familiar with. She had to have time to convince Alice to make up the fake story, which convinced absolutely nobody.

The Brady Bunch was a lot more twisted than most people realize.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 7:25 PM

Architecture is a passion career. People who exceed in it tend to live and breathe it without expecting to earn the salary of other educated professionals, like doctors or lawyers. Very few exceed middle- and upper-class payscales, and even fewer achieve notoriety.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2019 7:38 PM

Back then, families could live on a single income. Purchasing power got cut in half when women entered the workforce en masse.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2019 7:41 PM

Does anyone remember if Alice wore her maid's uniform during the Hawaii trip or was she allowed to wear casual clothes and relax?

by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2019 7:43 PM

R29: I seem to remember Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with a lie but perhaps I am in error.

by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2019 7:57 PM

he was an architect

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2019 7:58 PM

Lei (R30)

by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2019 7:59 PM

My dad was a high school teacher during that era and my mom had yet to go back to work, but we had two cars - it was not that uncommon. But no maid. Definitely no maid. R15 - Sherwood got the idea for the show from an article he'd read on blended families which were becoming more common at the time. Mike was a widower, and Carol was divorced - but the network made them play that down. Mary Richards was also originally written as divorced. The Brady men's house in the pilot was not the house in the show - it was a white single level modern - looked like it was located in the Hollywood Hills. Three kids in one bedroom / six sharing a bathroom may not have been realistic for an upper middle class family in that ear, but it helped with the plots.

by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2019 8:00 PM

I am 32 and even I know that the show takes place in the late 60s and early 70s.

Back then you could live off of one spouse paycheck and live well. He wasn’t just an architect, he was a successful one.

Things were also very cheap back then. My former co-worker Jose worked a job making $50k a year straight out of HS in the 60s and was able to buy a house and live a great life.

You all are thinking things then were the same as they are now.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2019 8:01 PM

R29 The hula

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2019 8:08 PM

Some of you were obviously not around during this time period. The Nixon Administration had a terrible economy. NIxon asked employers to put employee raises on hold. Gas prices were out of control. Nixon made everyone turn their home thermostat down to 65 degrees. And Nixon re-implemented Daylight Savings Time.

None of that made it into the show.

by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2019 8:09 PM

R29 Swimwear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 8:10 PM

I always assumed that Carol got hefty child support to help pay for the girls. If she was a widow, there would have been a decent insurance policy.

Doesn't explain why she never got a job, especially in the later seasons when the youngest kids were in middle school. Alice kept the house going.

by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 8:12 PM

R29 Mumu?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 8:12 PM

R29 In the Very Brady Sequel, it looks like they flirted with the idea by making it the same colors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2019 8:14 PM

R39 - that's not a mumu, it's a shift dress.

by Anonymousreply 41July 19, 2019 8:17 PM

Again, the man working and the wife staying home was COMMON

by Anonymousreply 42July 19, 2019 8:19 PM

R38 I always felt that there was a barely revealed issue of Carol having crippling social anxiety issues and not being able to leave the house often that they didn't fully explore.

by Anonymousreply 43July 19, 2019 8:21 PM

Some of you have WAY too much time on your hands...and show a lack of knowledge regarding history.

by Anonymousreply 44July 19, 2019 8:23 PM

I'm a bit younger than Bobby - grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood where the Brady house would have been palatial, and virtually non of the mom's had jobs outside the home. My mother did go back to work once my youngest sister was in first grade, but that was not the norm.

by Anonymousreply 45July 19, 2019 8:26 PM

The wife staying home was common, but it was also common for the wife to keep the house. Only the wives of upper-middle-class and wealthy men had maids. If Mike was only a middle-class man, it would have made sense for him to let Alice go once he remarried, especially since he was taking on 3 additional children.

Maybe Mike was a partner in the firm and made bank, or maybe he came from money. We never found out about his family.

by Anonymousreply 46July 19, 2019 8:26 PM

[quote]virtually non of the mom's had jobs outside the home

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 47July 19, 2019 8:30 PM

It would have been more realistic if Mike and Carol went to wife-swapping parties.

Interestingly enough, an episode of Love, American Style had Robert Reed playing a man at a wife swapping party.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 19, 2019 8:30 PM

Alice was like a surrogate mom to those boys once their mother died. How could Mike get rid of her when the boys needed her so much. And it's good they didn't or we would have had to live through Bobby's very special bed wetting episode when she was gone.

by Anonymousreply 49July 19, 2019 8:30 PM

[quote]Mike is a very highly qualified and well-respected architect, although he has had his share of failures. Mike was one of the staff architects with his firm; its name was never mentioned, but Ed Phillips was his boss. He was later the senior partner at the firm. He occasionally enjoyed anal sex with other married men.

by Anonymousreply 50July 19, 2019 8:32 PM

R48 Yeah, I would love to see an Ice Storm episode of Brady Bunch with wife swap parties, Jan shop lifting and Bobby being electrocuted by downed electrical cables.

by Anonymousreply 51July 19, 2019 8:32 PM

[quote]Yeah, I would love to see an Ice Storm episode of Brady Bunch with wife swap parties, Jan shop lifting and Bobby being electrocuted by downed electrical cables.

Sherwood Schwartz would have never allowed it. He didn't even want the Brady movies to happen because he was afraid they would go too far with the storylines.

by Anonymousreply 52July 19, 2019 8:39 PM

Did the house have central air?

by Anonymousreply 53July 19, 2019 8:42 PM

From R50's website:

Mike was absent from two episodes during the series' run: "Goodbye, Alice, Hello" and "The Hair-Brained Scheme." The reason for Robert Reed's absence in "Goodbye Alice, Hello," which aired midway through the fourth season, has never been explained.

This sounds ominously chilling and I hope some day there is a movie made that conjectures what Robert Reed was doing during that ill fated week. It could be something along the lines of that Vanessa Redgrave movie where she played Agatha Christie who mysteriously disappeared for eleven days.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2019 8:42 PM

R54, I think he was at Bear Week in Provincetown.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]The reason for Robert Reed's absence in "Goodbye Alice, Hello," which aired midway through the fourth season, has never been explained.

Probably throwing another one of his bitch fits.

"Strawberries have no smell. I am a SERIOUS ACT-TOR. I've done Shakespeare. Why must I say these stupid lines? Someone get Sherwood on the phone. I'll be in my dressing room!"

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2019 8:46 PM

Well, now we know what happened to the first Mrs. Mike Brady. Mike swapped her at a party and never got her back.

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2019 8:47 PM

All of this questioning about how they could afford Alice or why she was there when Carol could have managed the house herself?

Some of you are such dullards. You've watched every episode of this show and failed to realize that Alice WAS Mike's first wife?

It was obvious that she could no longer perform sexually and so she forced him into a scheme wherein she found him a new wife and would remain in the family by providing house services.

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2019 8:48 PM

[quote]Alice was like a surrogate mom to those boys once their mother died. How could Mike get rid of her when the boys needed her so much. And it's good they didn't or we would have had to live through Bobby's very special bed wetting episode when she was gone.

Then Carol should've gotten a damn job. Unless she had bank from her first husband's insurance/child support, in which case, enjoy the good life, Carol.

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2019 8:49 PM

Wife swapping was very popular back then. Even sports stars did it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2019 8:50 PM

I think Alice even got her own bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2019 8:53 PM

Wasn't Mike from Pasadena - clearly his family was old money.

by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2019 8:55 PM

Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2019 8:56 PM

How did the three girls morph into completely different people and then back again (save Maureen McCormick who permanently morphed into Leah Ayres in the Bradys) is the more pressing question. When you consider this ops question means very little in the grand scheme of things.

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2019 8:56 PM

That solves it: Mike was old money, so his wife didn't work and he didn't flash his cash around. That's why his kids slept 3 to a bedroom and shared 1 bathroom. But he would have paid every single cent of their college educations.

by Anonymousreply 65July 19, 2019 8:57 PM

The only thing unrealistic about the maid was that she was Anglo.

by Anonymousreply 66July 19, 2019 8:58 PM

Off course the maid gets her own bathroom. Can’t have the help using the family’s toilet. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 67July 19, 2019 8:59 PM

Once all the kids moved away, Carol's new job as a realtor afforded them all that new Southwestern style furniture!

by Anonymousreply 68July 19, 2019 9:00 PM

What is odd is not the live-in maid or the two bedrooms for 6 kids. It’s the combination. Most families would get more bedrooms before full-time help.

by Anonymousreply 69July 19, 2019 9:01 PM

R67 what did it matter that she had her own bathroom when none of the bathrooms had a toilet?

Where did they all take a dump?

Oh, that's right...

by Anonymousreply 70July 19, 2019 9:02 PM

"clearly his family was old money."

Apparently Mike literally didn't have a pot to piss in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71July 19, 2019 9:02 PM

R67 Wasn't that the episode called "The Help" when Alice got her very own special potty?

by Anonymousreply 72July 19, 2019 9:03 PM

Pfffft, cheapo Mike wasn't going to pay for Alice to have a bathroom. She had to run down to the corner gas station.

by Anonymousreply 73July 19, 2019 9:06 PM

Carol kept her trim little figure despite three pregnancies, and her hairdo never moved. She must’ve been going to beauty treatments and the gym while Alice vacuumed and went to the butcher.

by Anonymousreply 74July 19, 2019 9:07 PM

Who did the shopping? Obviously, Alice took care of the meat. Who took care of the fruit? And what about sundries?

by Anonymousreply 75July 19, 2019 9:10 PM

"Who took care of the fruit? "

I think the guys at Bear Week did that.

by Anonymousreply 76July 19, 2019 9:13 PM

What I don't get is why, with that spacious attic, architect Mike didn't build two more bedrooms and a bathroom up there. Give Greg his own bedroom, let Peter and Bobby share the other bedroom, and all three share a bathroom. Same for the girls on the second floor. Boom! Civilized living.

by Anonymousreply 77July 19, 2019 9:16 PM

Can you imagine all the dick spankin that went on in the boys room at night?

by Anonymousreply 78July 19, 2019 9:22 PM

^^^ I heard Alice had to wash the sheets daily as there was so much jizz on them.

by Anonymousreply 79July 19, 2019 9:24 PM

She cracked a blanket in half. Do you get where I'm going with that? She cracked it in HALF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80July 19, 2019 9:28 PM

Ew.

by Anonymousreply 81July 19, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote]What I don't get is why, with that spacious attic, architect Mike didn't build two more bedrooms and a bathroom up there.

Los Angeles zoning restrictions, probably.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 19, 2019 9:36 PM

That was a running gag in the movie, wasn't it? His designs were all of the same crappy house with a jack-and-jill bathroom?

by Anonymousreply 83July 19, 2019 10:33 PM

R15. That was the show’s novelty. It was the high concept’s concept. A guy with kids marries a woman with kids. I think it was supposed to be inspired by “Yours Mine and Ours,” with fewer kids, no “ours’” and no Lucy or Henry.

by Anonymousreply 84July 19, 2019 10:43 PM

Isn’t Step By Step with Suzanne Somers and Patrick Duffy a rip off of this?

by Anonymousreply 85July 19, 2019 11:11 PM

Didn’t Greg end up living in the attic during the shows final season?

Mike became one of the big heads at his firm, no? That would explain the extra money.

Almost all households had one parent working (the dad) and the mom at home. Was normal. And the only reason that Alice was still around was because she pretty much helped raise those boys. He couldn’t let her go. I feel this was mentioned in the first season during an episode. She was hired because he was working and his deceased wife used to work, so Alice was hired. When the wife died, he kept her around to help, obviously, as a single dad. Once he got married to Carol, who didn’t have to work, he could have let her go but he didn’t have the heart to do that to her because she was in those boys lives since they were born and he viewed her as family.

by Anonymousreply 86July 19, 2019 11:14 PM

What about the beach house they lived in The Brady Bunch Hour? Was Rip Taylor really a substitute for Sam for Alice? Did Mike keep the beach house after going back to being an architect? Did Mike entertain 'clients' there?

by Anonymousreply 87July 19, 2019 11:28 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 19, 2019 11:37 PM

So he would be making almost $88k a year in 2019 money, and that was before his promotions.

And life was cheap then. He was killing it.

by Anonymousreply 89July 19, 2019 11:41 PM

To supplement their income, Mike and Carol grew pot in the downstairs "mystery bathroom."

by Anonymousreply 90July 20, 2019 12:09 AM

Carol's first husband was never mentioned because he was a violent alcoholic who used to rape her. Carol shot and killed him one night because she couldn't take it anymore and had to protect her girls. The murder was ruled self-defense so Carol never went to trial.

by Anonymousreply 91July 20, 2019 12:35 AM

R91 You are thinking of Charlize Theron's mother.

by Anonymousreply 92July 20, 2019 12:42 AM

I think Carol should get a job at the Estée Lauder counter and bring in some bacon.

by Anonymousreply 93July 20, 2019 12:47 AM

Who was the biggest dyke in tv history - Ann B. Davis or Nancy Kulp?

by Anonymousreply 94July 20, 2019 12:51 AM

What kind of architect designs a staircase that takes up half the house?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 20, 2019 12:52 AM

Alice B Davis is so dykey, it ruins the show for me because she looks like my HS gym teacher.

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2019 12:58 AM

Peter was the pretty one, but Carol couldn't get enough of Greg's schlong. That boy was a genetic abnormality.

by Anonymousreply 97July 20, 2019 1:05 AM

I guess Ann B was a dyke in real life. After she left Hollywood, she went to live in communes and religious communities the rest of her life. And she never married so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 98July 20, 2019 1:22 AM

Never being married doesn’t make one a homosexual. Some people don’t want marriage.

by Anonymousreply 99July 20, 2019 1:24 AM

I believe Mike Brady struggled to support his lifestyle.

Have you all forgotten about the time he had have a pay phone installed in the family room because he almost had a nervous breakdown over a phone bill? Remember? Carol was so concerned by his reaction to the phone bill that she wanted their doctor to make a house call?

Wait. How the f*ck was he able to afford to have a f*cking pay phone installed in his house?

And how in the hell did they cover the bills for all of the house calls their doctor was always willing to make???

by Anonymousreply 100July 20, 2019 1:28 AM

R36- You don't know what you're talking about. The standard of living in the United States did not peak in the 1950's or the 1960's , it peaked in 1973. Our standard of living was MUCH higher in 1973 than it is today.

by Anonymousreply 101July 20, 2019 1:30 AM

R100 based on that article he had more money than he needed. He wasn’t broke, he was CHEAP.

by Anonymousreply 102July 20, 2019 1:31 AM

$88,000 a year isn't a great salary in LA even if you're single. You can live comfortably but you won't be in the lap of luxury or anything. It would be much less adequate if you had a SAH wife and six kids to support. Mike must have had family money.

by Anonymousreply 103July 20, 2019 1:34 AM

R103 again, this was 1969. Him making the equivalent to $89k a year then was A LOT. Even in LA.

I wonder about some of you...

by Anonymousreply 104July 20, 2019 1:38 AM

$89k was a king's ransom in 1969. You could live very well indeed.

by Anonymousreply 105July 20, 2019 1:46 AM

Reading is fundamental, kids.

According to the article, Mike didn't make $88,000 a year in 1973, he made $13,600, the equivalent of $88,000 in today's buying power. That's not a great salary for raising 6 kids in LA.

by Anonymousreply 106July 20, 2019 1:49 AM

everyone knows he used to pimp that ass to sponsors. Ooops my bad, were talking about the fictional character.

by Anonymousreply 107July 20, 2019 1:49 AM

[quote]The moment Carol saw it, she knew it smelled of Crisco,

It actually had a certain “Wessonality.”

by Anonymousreply 108July 20, 2019 1:53 AM

R106 yes it is in 1969 (not 1973 where he would be making More as he was promoted). Were you around then? Things were very cheap. People lived off of cashier jobs back then and had their own places and cars etc.

You’re thinking of how things are now.

by Anonymousreply 109July 20, 2019 1:55 AM

You have to remember that Alice was a holdover from when Mike was a single dad who worked full-time and needed help around the house, as well as nominal child care assistance. She was his housekeeper before they got married. He didn't really have a choice if he wanted his home cleaned and for his sons to be fed.

Even with all the discussion and debate about minimum wage and living wages, you have to remember that human labor until very recently was relatively cheap. Stuff was expensive. TVs in the 1970s cost several hundred dollars - in 1970s dollars. She got room and board, and a small salary though I don't think the amount was ever mentioned. There was one episode where the kids overhear her talking to one of her friends to borrow money until her next payday to pay for her insurance or something.

And, of course, it was a TV show.

by Anonymousreply 110July 20, 2019 1:57 AM

Mike might have been okay, as real estate was cheaper in CA then. According to another article, the actual Brady Bunch house sold for $61,000 in 1973. Assuming Mike had a 30-year-mortgage and had put together a decent down payment, that's about a $250 a month house payment. That would be doable on a $13,000 a year salary. Feeding six kids wouldn't be cheap but they could have bought in bulk and cooked at home, and the kids could wear each other's hand-me-downs. If Carol had kept the house herself, I could see it being possible. But Alice really doesn't make sense, even with the cheap labor costs. Mike and Carol would have had to work with a fairly strict budget to keep the bills paid and everyone fed and clothed, and since the kids were school-aged even at the beginning of the show, Carol would have had enough time to keep the house and take care of meals.

by Anonymousreply 111July 20, 2019 1:59 AM

R111 read r110 and r86 on why Alice is still around.

by Anonymousreply 112July 20, 2019 2:05 AM

Sherwood Schwartz paid all of the bills for the Brady family.

Sillies!

by Anonymousreply 113July 20, 2019 2:06 AM

I believe it was mentioned she became the Housekeeper before Bobby was born. So she’s been with that family for at least as old as Bobby is.

by Anonymousreply 114July 20, 2019 2:10 AM

They weren't that well-off. When Greg wanted his own car, he had to get an after-school job in order to save up for it. Mike got him a job as a gopher where he worked. And Marcia was shown working at ice cream parlor.

by Anonymousreply 115July 20, 2019 2:11 AM

R115, that had nothing to do with how much money Mike had. It was expected of teens in that era that they had to work, especially if they wanted something like a car.

by Anonymousreply 116July 20, 2019 2:13 AM

R115 that had nothing to do with money, that had to do with working for what you want and learning responsibility. Many expected that of their kids. Even some rich parents didn’t just buy their kids, especially sons, whatever they wanted. They had to earn it in some way.

Mike wasn’t the type to spoil his children. He was all about working hard and living life by what’s right etc.

by Anonymousreply 117July 20, 2019 2:16 AM

Alice plans on leaving here in this episode because she secretly feels that now that Mike is married to Carol she will no longer be needed. It’s them that make sure she knows she is very much needed, mainly because of the boys being so close to her as she’s been in their lives for years now and raising them pretty much, and that she will always have a job there.

That’s why Alice still works for them.

by Anonymousreply 118July 20, 2019 2:17 AM

Here’s the episode lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119July 20, 2019 2:18 AM

One bathroom, the three boys had to share a room, three girls had to share a room, you always saw them re-wearing their outfits, they couldn't afford to have Tiger's dog house torn down, they only had plastic grass in the backyard and apparently no front yard in order to cut down on maintenance costs - so, yes, Mike Brady had problems making ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 120July 20, 2019 2:19 AM

R119 Remember the to-do list they gave Alice at the end so that knew she was needed? "Clean the kids' hairbrushes, organize Mr. Brady's ties by color and texture..." It was ridiculous - lol!

But I love this episode too.

by Anonymousreply 121July 20, 2019 2:21 AM

He also had a second job at the time working with this private detective named Mannix, so that also brought in some extra cash.

by Anonymousreply 122July 20, 2019 2:21 AM

Yes, logically Carol should've gotten off her deadbeat ass and made a contribution to the family income.

But she had Mike's number on their wedding night — and she threatened to destroy him in court just like she took her first husband to the cleaners.

So she got to sit around eating bonbons all day and growing out a mullet for five seasons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 20, 2019 2:21 AM

Alice taught all the Brady kids how to do cunnilingus.

by Anonymousreply 124July 20, 2019 2:21 AM

R123 When she got the part as Carol, Florence Henderson did want Carol to have a job by Sherwood Schwartz said no, he thought it was more wholesome that Carol was a dedicated housewife and mother.

by Anonymousreply 125July 20, 2019 2:23 AM

R124 Wait. What did Alice have the kids do to Colonel Ingus?

by Anonymousreply 126July 20, 2019 2:23 AM

Somehow Mike managed to get himself a new car every year, or so I've read.

He liked convertibles.

One guesses that discretionary income went toward driving over the hill and picking up hustlers on Santa Monica Blvd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 20, 2019 2:24 AM

Ann B. Davis has major caneface in R119's link.

by Anonymousreply 128July 20, 2019 2:26 AM

Mike comes from money. He comes from an upper class area, no? He probably had money in the bank since birth.

He said just smart with his money, like many I’ve met. I know people that make tons of money and are so cheap you would think they were broke. It’s usually the man who is cheap with the wife annoyed or embarrassed by it.

by Anonymousreply 129July 20, 2019 2:27 AM

[quote]The Brady kids had no need for therapy, because they didn’t seem to give a rats ass about their dead parents.

Of course not. The girls murdered their molesting father and the boys murdered their whoring mother. Their surviving parents covered for them like any good parent would (and married each other so neither could be forced to rat on the other) but grifter Alice saw the blood-soaked kids patting down the dirt of the two graves and so she blackmailed them into moving in with them and lorded it over that poor family for years, all the while sleeping with one eye open in case the kids murdered her too. It's a bleak story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130July 20, 2019 2:31 AM

Who takes their maid on vacation with them?

And do they make her clean the hotel rooms?

by Anonymousreply 131July 20, 2019 2:45 AM

R131 she lives with them. Mike considers her family, she’s been around since before Bobby was born.

by Anonymousreply 132July 20, 2019 2:48 AM

R127, maybe it was the other way around? Maybe on the nights he told Carol he was 'working late at the office, don't have Alice hold dinner you lazy cunt', he had some special niche business in West Hollywood as a Daddy type. In 1970 dollars $40 a pop would pay Alice's salary for a week, a couple of sessions could have financed whatever fancy Dodge or Chevy convertible he was prancing about in.

by Anonymousreply 133July 20, 2019 2:49 AM

R127-Maybe the Architect firm he worked for leased the cars for him. That's why he had a new car almost every year.

by Anonymousreply 134July 20, 2019 3:03 AM

And don't forget, Marcia worked at the ice cream parlor in order to pay for her abortions.

by Anonymousreply 135July 20, 2019 3:09 AM

"he made $13,600, "

No fucking way. My father basically had Homer Simpson's job back then and he made twice that much. (Low level techie at a nuclear plant in case you're wondering.) We were living in a two bedroom apartment in a pretty bad part of L.A., though we did move to a 3 bedroom two bath house in Eagle Rock after a couple of years. And there were only three of us total--no maid.

I don't know why anyone tries to take tv show crap even remotely seriously.

I remember when One Day at a Time premiered, there was an article in the newspaper about how large the apartment they lived in was. Also, how could a struggling single mom be able to buy her daughters' such expensive department store clothes?

They didn't even bother discussing the mom's hairdo.

It was too ridiculous to contemplate.

by Anonymousreply 136July 20, 2019 3:23 AM

It's such a shame that Mike had to give up his promising legal career and go into the Witness Protection Program.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137July 20, 2019 3:28 AM

I want to know more about Peter and jerking off in his bedroom. He was seriously cute and as he got older he got hunky

by Anonymousreply 138July 20, 2019 3:39 AM

Ann Romano's apartment was a tiny dump. Weird that people thought it was large.

by Anonymousreply 139July 20, 2019 3:47 AM

All the Brady boys knew how to suck a cock - important life skills that Mike made sure they had.

by Anonymousreply 140July 20, 2019 8:52 AM

Peter and Greg were turning tricks by the time each was 15. There was an episode about it.

by Anonymousreply 141July 20, 2019 9:32 AM

[quote]Then Carol should've gotten a damn job.

She served on committees to stop smoking, she wrote newspaper articles, she served on committee to save parks and was active in the church choir.

And you'd see her in gardening clothes with gardening tools

by Anonymousreply 142July 20, 2019 2:17 PM

[quote]I believe it was mentioned she became the Housekeeper before Bobby was born. So she’s been with that family for at least as old as Bobby is.

Which implies Mrs Brady died giving birth to Bobby which is why he was so fucked up about it but the other boys didn't care.

by Anonymousreply 143July 20, 2019 2:18 PM

[quote]Mike was a widower, and Carol was divorced - but the network made them play that down.

I don't buy that. Schwartz said he'd like to believe that, but he has at least five different stories about the cast of Gilligan, none which make sense because they all are different from the pilot which didn't air.

The girls had the last name Brady? So the divorced father simply allowed Mike to adopt and change their name? And Marcia had a living father yet chose to submit an entry about Mike as father of the year? None of the divorce makes sense in the plots of the Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 144July 20, 2019 2:21 PM

[quote]Some of you were obviously not around during this time period. The Nixon Administration had a terrible economy. NIxon asked employers to put employee raises on hold. Gas prices were out of control. Nixon made everyone turn their home thermostat down to 65 degrees. And Nixon re-implemented Daylight Savings Time.

The wage freeze was in 1970 and was for only 90 days. We were ending the gold standard at that point. Nixon requested you turn down the thermostat, it wasn't an order. The thermostat and gas prices and year round daylight saving time, were as a result of the US resupplying Israel in the Yom Kippur War.

by Anonymousreply 145July 20, 2019 2:25 PM

OP, you really think he was doing well and living a luxurious lifestyle?

FFS the only bathroom didn’t even have a toilet!

by Anonymousreply 146July 20, 2019 2:42 PM

R144 it’s never stated or implied in the show that Carol was divorced. I always thought she was widowed too.

by Anonymousreply 147July 20, 2019 2:50 PM

If she were divorced she may have had to have a custody agreement. They are all eerily well adjusted for a blended family with death and divorce in the backstory.

by Anonymousreply 148July 20, 2019 2:52 PM

They never stated in the TV show what happened to Carol's first husband. Schwartz wanted her to be divorced. The network thought it was too risque for the time for her to be divorced.

If she was divorced and the kids NEVER saw their biological father, and he was effectively erased from their existence, what sort of scumbag must he have been such that he never visited and the girls NEVER asked about him or even thought about him. Marcia would have to have been at least 6 when he left if she and Cindy had the same father.

by Anonymousreply 149July 20, 2019 2:57 PM

The question is... how long did Carol go without a husband? Did she just go from one man right to another? Because otherwise, how did she support herself and her girls? Carol doesn't seem the type to have ever had a job.

by Anonymousreply 150July 20, 2019 2:59 PM

Mr. Phillips, Mike's boss at the architectural firm, would occasionally ask Mike stay late and would give him a little extra cash for letting Mr. Phillips go down on him.

by Anonymousreply 151July 20, 2019 3:07 PM

[quote]Frasier Crane was on AM radio. How did he live so grandly even when he was unemployed?

Some AM radio gigs pay pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 152July 20, 2019 3:08 PM

[quote]the hospital where she worked as a candy striper.

I worked as a candy stripper once.

by Anonymousreply 153July 20, 2019 3:08 PM

R15 The Brady Bunch was inspired by the 1968 movie "Yours, Mine, and Ours" with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball, about a couple who get married, with each of them having 18 children between the two of them from previous marriages.

It was a box office success, and ABC wanted to ride that wave.

by Anonymousreply 154July 20, 2019 3:12 PM

The pay phone was installed because the children were always on the phone or arguing about who was next. By making them pay for their calls, it was thought the fighting would stop. Also, not sure how Alice was able to go to the butcher and any other store needed to feed that family. She did not have a driver's license.

by Anonymousreply 155July 20, 2019 3:16 PM

Alice was paid primarily in access to Carol's pussy.

by Anonymousreply 156July 20, 2019 3:18 PM

R155 Sam's butcher shop was within walking distance, and most of the time, when you saw groceries being brought into the house, they always had Alice and Mrs. Brady getting out of the car together. So the implication is that Mrs. Brady drove and shopped with Alice.

by Anonymousreply 157July 20, 2019 3:19 PM

R155 the bus.

by Anonymousreply 158July 20, 2019 3:20 PM

The truth is Carol can’t really be sure who fathered the girls. She was a wild girl. So she told them they were “Jesus Babies.” Fortunately, the girls were not too smart.

by Anonymousreply 159July 20, 2019 3:28 PM

All that fresh meat from the butcher was expensive! You never see them eating bean soup.

by Anonymousreply 160July 20, 2019 3:34 PM

Sam had the best meat in town! I could never get enough of it.

by Anonymousreply 161July 20, 2019 3:46 PM

I drove the family bankrupt. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 162July 20, 2019 3:48 PM

[quote]with each of them having 18 children between the two of them from previous marriages.

So they each had 18 children, for a total of 36? Or between them they totaled 18 children (i.e., 9 each)?

by Anonymousreply 163July 20, 2019 4:24 PM

A total of 18 children. He had 10, she had 8.

by Anonymousreply 164July 20, 2019 4:26 PM

^^Dayum.

by Anonymousreply 165July 20, 2019 4:32 PM

R144 - Carol’s backstory had been in numerous articles over the years.

“Sherwood Schwartz conceived the idea for The Brady Bunch after reading in The Los Angeles Times that "30% of marriages [in the United States] have a child or children from a previous marriage." He set to work on a pilot script for a series tentatively titled Mine and Yours.[5] Schwartz then developed the script to include three children for each parent. While Mike Brady is depicted as being a widower, Schwartz originally wanted the character of Carol Brady to have been a divorcée, but the network objected to this. A compromise was reached whereby Carol's marital status (whether she was divorced or widowed) was never directly revealed.” -Wikipedia

by Anonymousreply 166July 20, 2019 5:54 PM

R154 - the Brady Bunch pitch pilot script predated both “Yours Mine & Ours” and “With Two You Get Egg Roll”. All three networks passed on the show. The boxoffice success of YM&O caused ABC to reconsider and green light the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 167July 20, 2019 6:00 PM

Carol's first husband was clearly dead. There was no visitation, the girls took Mike's last name. They were old enough or at least Marcia and Jan were old enough to remember their father, so there no way they would have changed their last names and not seen him. They both were widowers. Mike's wife died in childbirth. Carol's husband died of early prostate cancer.

And you just know that insecure unstable middle child Jan would have threatened to go live with her real father at least once in the series run. Probably after that ugly Aunt she looked like visited.

by Anonymousreply 168July 20, 2019 6:08 PM

But what if the father left them and wanted nothing to do with the girls. Carol knew where he was and they divorced but she never told the girls about it because the thought of him not wanting anything to do with his kids would hurt them.

by Anonymousreply 169July 20, 2019 6:15 PM

[quote]Also, not sure how Alice was able to go to the butcher and any other store needed to feed that family. She did not have a driver's license.

There are these things called walking and public transportation. Youtube it.

by Anonymousreply 170July 20, 2019 6:27 PM

[quote]There was no visitation, the girls took Mike's last name. They were old enough or at least Marcia and Jan were old enough to remember their father, so there no way they would have changed their last names and not seen him.

Unless he ran out on them, they hated him, or you know, Carol decided that's what she was doing and they're you know, kids, and don't have a choice.

by Anonymousreply 171July 20, 2019 6:28 PM

Kids of a certain age do have a choice about matters related to their custody/adoption, etc.

by Anonymousreply 172July 20, 2019 6:30 PM

Not in 1969. And certainly not with a mother like Carol.

by Anonymousreply 173July 20, 2019 6:32 PM

R130 I can see why the show's producers decided to go in a different direction.

by Anonymousreply 174July 20, 2019 6:38 PM

At the time, and even to a kid, the show was wildly unrealistic. People made jokes about the girls absent father, and his re-appearance is a major plot point of the first BB movie. Folks on this thread expecting cohesive story logic from the man who had characters pack trunk loads of clothing for “a three hour tour” is funnier than the show itself.

by Anonymousreply 175July 20, 2019 6:43 PM

R175 in the second BB movie.

by Anonymousreply 176July 20, 2019 6:52 PM

Money was so tight at the Brady household that they had to cut out the other Brady girl in the reruns!

by Anonymousreply 177July 20, 2019 6:56 PM

Thanks R176 - the first movie had enough to lampoon without ever getting to the Mystery of the Missing Mr. Martin. — R175

by Anonymousreply 178July 20, 2019 7:03 PM

Would any of the Bradys be deplorables today?

by Anonymousreply 179July 20, 2019 7:05 PM

Thindy, obviously, R179.

by Anonymousreply 180July 20, 2019 7:07 PM

Why did they make Alice wear a maid's uniform? It was so demeaning.

by Anonymousreply 181July 20, 2019 7:10 PM

R181 - so Sam wouldn’t fuck Carol by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 182July 20, 2019 7:13 PM

Alice obviously wasn't taking any man's dick. Sam was just a beard.

by Anonymousreply 183July 20, 2019 7:24 PM

I don't think they kept Alice out of guilt or obligation. They generally felt they needed her. Even if Carol didn't work, do you know hoe hard it is taking care of a large house like that? Add to that six kids. They probably felt like Alice was a house manager, not maid. In the first season, Mike and Carol would have nightly meetings with Alice discussing how things should be done and Alice would be right there saying I think we should do this or I don't think we should do this.

by Anonymousreply 184July 20, 2019 7:33 PM

R184 because they respected her and Mike considered her his family.

by Anonymousreply 185July 20, 2019 7:48 PM

I never liked wise cracking Alice. She was too desperate to please and not funny. But I did think it was sweet of her to send Marsha the locket.

by Anonymousreply 186July 20, 2019 7:52 PM

^Jan

by Anonymousreply 187July 20, 2019 7:53 PM

R186 Why is it always Marcia, Marcia, Marcia? She gave ME the locket, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 188July 20, 2019 7:54 PM

Towards the end they had to take in an extra tenant to make ends meet. You better believe they made cousin Oliver’s dad shell out major bucks to take in that fatass.

by Anonymousreply 189July 20, 2019 8:03 PM

Carol also cut Cousin Oliver’s hair herself and pocketed the money.

by Anonymousreply 190July 20, 2019 8:05 PM

Maybe Carol and her first husband divorced when Cindy was a baby, and then he died later, before she married Mike. Degenerate alcoholic or something, whom the girls rarely saw before his death. Would explain his absence and the fact that the girls didn't seem to give a shit about him, eagerly taking Mike's last name. He might have been a rich alcoholic though, and left Carol and the girls well-fixed, hence no need for Carol to work.

by Anonymousreply 191July 20, 2019 8:35 PM

Yall realize this was a cheesy 60s sitcom right. Yall also realize realism in comedy series didn't really start until the 80s. Thats what made the brady movies in the 90s so funny. The Bradys are probably aliens from Mars.

by Anonymousreply 192July 20, 2019 8:39 PM

R192-Realism in comedy started in 1971 with All In The Family.

by Anonymousreply 193July 20, 2019 8:46 PM

What do you mean realism in comedy series started in the 80's?

I thought I was pretty realistic for the early 70's.

by Anonymousreply 194July 20, 2019 8:47 PM

Oliver's father and mother were in South America. Obviously they supplied the drugs that Greg sold. How do you think he got through college and med school in six years?

by Anonymousreply 195July 20, 2019 9:02 PM

Carol was living with the girls with her parents. Pretty obvious she was NEVER married. Or it could be an Aretha Franklin thing - her 'daddy' fathered the girls.

by Anonymousreply 196July 20, 2019 9:02 PM

[quote] Except for the one trip to Hawaii, I don't recall a lot of expensive purchases or activities.

There were also those family vacations to the Grand Canyon and the theme park outside Cincinnati. They may not sound like glamorous destinations but remember that bringing along both parents, the six kids, AND the maid must have set Mike back quite a bit. Not to mention replacing Carol's favorite vase after the boys smashed it playing ball in the house, and her Cleopatra earrings after they were ruined in the washing machine.

by Anonymousreply 197July 20, 2019 9:04 PM

both cincinnati and hawaii were paid for by mike's employer (so i guess they had to shell out for alice, or she paid her own way)

by Anonymousreply 198July 20, 2019 9:08 PM

I killed my mother on the day I was born.

Don't consider yourself safe....

by Anonymousreply 199July 20, 2019 9:09 PM

You know the second Greg moved into the attic, it was a full on whack-a-thon. He painted those groovy love beads white.

by Anonymousreply 200July 20, 2019 9:16 PM

I thought he was banging Marsha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201July 20, 2019 9:26 PM

Sorry Jan, but Marsha sucks cock much better than you.

by Anonymousreply 202July 20, 2019 9:28 PM

Alice was licking Jan's snatch.

by Anonymousreply 203July 20, 2019 9:30 PM

In those days companies were much more generous and lenient with their expense packages. Of course Mike brought the maid for free. Also Mike was clearly a partner in that firm. Why else would he have that big private den all to himself to draw and sketch. Also, it was the 70s so I would assume that the kids just got the other kids hand-me-down clothes and toys. Alice's meals were pretty cheap too. Meatload, Pork Chops, Fried Chicken. El cheapo stuff.

Also, kids whose parents die before they are of age get government benefits until they are 18. Plus any life insurance. The Brady were walking in high cotton.

by Anonymousreply 204July 20, 2019 9:31 PM

[quote]The Brady were walking in high cotton.

Is that good?

by Anonymousreply 205July 20, 2019 10:25 PM

Stop with the lies, r203. I’ll sue!

by Anonymousreply 206July 20, 2019 10:33 PM

You'd have to prove it's not true, Evie.

by Anonymousreply 207July 20, 2019 10:37 PM

I definitely remember Jan turning tricks with a cute boy named Alexander.

by Anonymousreply 208July 20, 2019 10:45 PM

Kids didn't have all the extracurricular shit that costs money. And of course none of the electronics and gadgets that kids today all have. It was a lot cheaper back then.

by Anonymousreply 209July 20, 2019 11:38 PM

No wonder Alice always had that worried look on her face when Sam told her he was going to deliver the meat to the back door.

by Anonymousreply 210July 20, 2019 11:53 PM

During the day when the kids were at school, Carol would shoot ping pong balls out of her twat in the Ditmeyer's backyard while Alice cooked meth in her room.

by Anonymousreply 211July 21, 2019 12:17 AM

The only meat Alice ever ate was a roast beef sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 212July 21, 2019 12:51 AM

Yeah, Mike had Social Security survivor's benefits, as did all three of the boys.

In addition to any life insurance.

And Carol was the original anal MILF of Los Angeles, so she made a tidy sum posing for "marriage manuals" in a dark wig, before her backdoor talents trapped Mike, who was drifting in another direction.

by Anonymousreply 213July 21, 2019 1:39 AM

Mike was such a shitty architect, that house was poorly designed.

by Anonymousreply 214July 21, 2019 1:41 AM

How dare you, R214. My dahling Michael designed my makeup factory like ze Powder Puff!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 21, 2019 1:47 AM

They sued this asshole for defamation of character and made a tidy sum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216July 21, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]Yeah, Mike had Social Security survivor's benefits, as did all three of the boys.

No they wouldn't have had any of that. Just like Carol, the first wife didn't work either.

by Anonymousreply 217July 21, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Kids didn't have all the extracurricular shit that costs money

What about all that junk Marcia had when she started high school and joined all them clubs?

by Anonymousreply 218July 21, 2019 2:07 AM

Schools were better funded back then, plus they could still have bake sales and other school fundraisers without worrying about peanut allergies.

by Anonymousreply 219July 21, 2019 2:14 AM

R216, that wasn't the first time Carol rammed into someone from the rear

by Anonymousreply 220July 21, 2019 2:17 AM

Like what, R218? The $3 baton and the $1 pom poms?

by Anonymousreply 221July 21, 2019 2:21 AM

R215 She wanted it round like a powderpuff, or red like a lipstick, and Mike simply wasn't skilled enough to deliver that. Plus, according to Cindy, Bebe cried black tears.

by Anonymousreply 222July 21, 2019 2:32 AM

[R222] Even Carol chimed in to say that making a building spring open like a compact wasn’t possible from an engineering viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 223July 21, 2019 2:37 AM

Bebe wanted to spring open Mike's pants. That was her real goal.

by Anonymousreply 224July 21, 2019 2:58 AM

[quote]Even Carol chimed in

That bitch Carol never learned to keep her bitch mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 225July 21, 2019 3:00 AM

If that were the case, r191 those girls should have been psychological messes seeing a team of therapists regularly.

by Anonymousreply 226July 21, 2019 4:19 AM

Does “Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!” not sound to you like a cry for help? And Cindy’s speech impediment? PTSD.

by Anonymousreply 227July 21, 2019 5:58 AM

R209 is right. The idea of buying a kid an expensive phone and monthly plan would have been laughed at.

Mike encouraged the girls to hitchhike.

by Anonymousreply 228July 21, 2019 8:47 AM

The kids shared a bathroom so to save time, Greg and Peter showered together.

by Anonymousreply 229July 21, 2019 11:52 AM

I remember the episode when Alice quits and they get another maid who is also white. I asked my mother why the maids on the show were white because our maids in the 1970's were black.

by Anonymousreply 230July 21, 2019 1:05 PM

My cousin had a Swedish maid named Ingabord. Nowadays they would be Central American. No one has black or white maids anymore.

by Anonymousreply 231July 21, 2019 1:44 PM

r221

She joined a lot of clubs, like the scuba club (with gear), the karate club (with uniform) and a whole bunch of others.

by Anonymousreply 232July 21, 2019 1:54 PM

[quote]I asked my mother why the maids on the show were white because our maids in the 1970's were black.

I asked my mother that too

by Anonymousreply 233July 21, 2019 1:56 PM

[quote]And Cindy’s speech impediment?

Actually Carol bought Cindy a book on how to talk right. I think they should've done more, but sometimes lisping is a physical problem that requires surgery. Or your a gay male.

by Anonymousreply 234July 21, 2019 1:58 PM

R39’s pic has everything: Jan and Marcia are getting ready to suck off Peter and Greg in broad daylight. Cindy the tattletale has her camera ready, but Carol and Alice are determined to look away and pretend everything is as it should be. Mike has his own project going on in the corner.

by Anonymousreply 235July 21, 2019 1:59 PM

Mike walked in on Alice with her scissors turning the boy's jeans into cutoffs to save a few pennies. Mike insisted on a two-inch inseam.

by Anonymousreply 236July 21, 2019 2:12 PM

I thought the early episode of young Bobby being conflicted by the having his mother’s portrait was lovely and well-done, Florence Henderson and little Mike Lookinland did a great job and it was very moving. Henderson was very pretty in those first few episodes, and she hadn’t really settled into the role yet so she was still using a very ‘actorly’ kind of voice. As the seasons progressed you see her get more comfortable and her dropping the generic American actor’s English for something that sounded more like her native Indiana speech.

by Anonymousreply 237July 21, 2019 2:22 PM

If the Brady Bunch had decided to really confront the issues of blended families instead of just being a silly sitcom, it could have been groundbreaking. Might not have become the cultural icon it is, though.

by Anonymousreply 238July 21, 2019 2:45 PM

Alice got TONS of pussy in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 239July 21, 2019 2:50 PM

Mike looks like he’s eyeing that Hawaiian boy in r39 pic to be honest

by Anonymousreply 240July 21, 2019 2:56 PM

When Cindy was little and began talking her father couldn’t take the voice of that little Bitch. He left for good!

by Anonymousreply 241July 21, 2019 3:10 PM

[quote] the $1 pom poms?

Oh, honey, that plastic surgery cost a LOT more than $1! And Dad's crappy health plan didn't even cover it!

by Anonymousreply 242July 21, 2019 3:12 PM

It is strange that if Carol's husband were dead, the children would not keep his name. Unless the father was abusive or deadbeat, it is quite unusual for children to abandon their dead dad's name.

by Anonymousreply 243July 21, 2019 3:26 PM

Yes, OP. My best friend's father owned the local car dealership (new, used and rental cars). There were 5 kids in the family and they had a summer house with an ocean view, a speedboat and a small yacht back in the late 60s/early 70s. And, of course, new cars every year for all of them once they hit driving age.

I remember when I read Helter Skelter and it was mentioned almost off handedly that Rosemary LaBianca had amassed a million dollars in her bank account by 1969, ostensibly from selling dresses out of the back of a truck. My friend's family was the richest family in town and no way did her father have a million dollars in the bank. It was a tremendous amount of money in those days. A girl down the street from where I lived bought a custom new car for $3800.

by Anonymousreply 244July 21, 2019 3:27 PM

[quote] Also, kids whose parents die before they are of age get government benefits until they are 18.

In those days kids got benefits until age 21 if they went to college and they got it if a parent was alive but disabled.

by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2019 3:41 PM

Insurance money — I laughed!

by Anonymousreply 246July 21, 2019 3:46 PM

Mike didn't even give Alice a raise when he added his bitch and her bitchettes to his crib.

by Anonymousreply 247July 21, 2019 4:11 PM

He gave away Fluffy like some other person, who shall be nameless, did. She got hers though

by Anonymousreply 248July 21, 2019 4:12 PM

How did Mike fuck Carol without at least one of those 6 brats walking in on them? You know he used to give it her good.

by Anonymousreply 249July 21, 2019 4:18 PM

The only hole Mike was sticking his dick in belonged to Sam the Butcher.

by Anonymousreply 250July 21, 2019 4:19 PM

You know, Shirley Partridge was ALLEGEDLY running dope and girls out of her psychedelic bus, but no one is dissecting her life. How did she afford her lifestyle? But you whores call me out? You are lucky I don't scratch your eyes out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251July 21, 2019 4:29 PM

Robert Reed was a really sexy guy - until the perm.

by Anonymousreply 252July 21, 2019 4:50 PM

You seem to be forgetting the extra money Eve Plumb brought in as a street prostitute.

Alice got lots of cheap cuts of meat for Free , for giving Sam her rump roast.

Thindy was pimped to wealthy Nixon supporters .

Greg had that part time job as a towel boy at a West Hollywood bathhouse .

by Anonymousreply 253July 21, 2019 4:53 PM

Karate Club, the school would have provided the uniform and scuba, the gear would have been rented to the students cheaply. Marcia would have just paid for the rentals using the money Jan got from giving handjobs.

What were the, "whole bunch of other," clubs she joined?

by Anonymousreply 254July 21, 2019 5:17 PM

R254 Don't forget the Boosters and the Ceramics club.

by Anonymousreply 255July 21, 2019 5:27 PM

Those clubs woudln't have cost anything for Marcia to be a part of so she didn't have to dip into Cindy's BJ money.

by Anonymousreply 256July 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Carol spent her afternoons working in a high-class brothel, like Catherine Deneuve in Belle du Jour. That's how the Bradys could afford their lifestyle, because Carol was making bank with her pussy.

by Anonymousreply 257July 21, 2019 5:35 PM

R257 I'm pretty sure the Brady House was the brothel. That's why they couldn't give Mike's Den/Office away as a bedroom. Greg, Jan, and Cindy literally worked their asses off in there.

by Anonymousreply 258July 21, 2019 5:37 PM

How fucking useless was Alice if she didn't even have a driver's license? If Carol had to drive Alice all over town to do the family's errands, then Carol could've just done everything herself.

by Anonymousreply 259July 21, 2019 5:45 PM

Again, R259 that's what walking, bikes, and the bus were for.

by Anonymousreply 260July 21, 2019 5:50 PM

So how did they support Mike's habit of dressing in women's clothes? He was too big to fit into any of the female characters' things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261July 21, 2019 6:13 PM

Mike Brady was forced to take drastic measures to make ends meet in the late 70s. His family thought he was attending architecture conferences in San Francisco on the weekends but he had actually embarked on a side career as a gay porn star, under the moniker “Brady Michaels”.

Here’s a still from an early film he did for Falcon (‘California Glory Hole’).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262July 21, 2019 6:16 PM

6 kids? Who can afford that, along with a maid?

by Anonymousreply 263July 21, 2019 6:19 PM

R251, Shirley worked in a bank by day. She was skimming money at the teller window and it supported her inexhaustible craving for velvet and lace mini dresses.

by Anonymousreply 264July 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Was Carol Brady the originator of the mullet? Is that how it all started?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265July 21, 2019 6:28 PM

How come Carol never got knocked up by Mike? Did he have his tubes tied?

by Anonymousreply 266July 21, 2019 6:34 PM

[quote]Was Carol Brady the originator of the mullet? Is that how it all started?

When Carol said party in the back, that bitch wasn't joking.

by Anonymousreply 267July 21, 2019 6:37 PM

Supplementing their income. I don't think they were asked to do another commercial after this, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268July 21, 2019 7:45 PM

Why the fuck would Carol want another baby? She already had six brats to take care of, and at least they were all out of diapers and in school.

by Anonymousreply 269July 21, 2019 7:47 PM

Wikipedia says that they originally planned to have Carole be a divorcee, but the network freaked on them so they left it unclear as to what had happened to her husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270July 21, 2019 7:56 PM

Maybe Carol was entertaining gentlemen for profit during her leisure days.

by Anonymousreply 271July 21, 2019 7:58 PM

Carol had a SHAG haircut not a mullet!

by Anonymousreply 272July 21, 2019 8:03 PM

[quote]Did Mike Brady Earn Enough To Afford His Lifestyle?

Apparently he didn't earn enough to buy condoms.

by Anonymousreply 273July 21, 2019 8:07 PM

Condoms were looked down upon greatly then.

by Anonymousreply 274July 21, 2019 9:01 PM

Bobby and Cindy were pimped out solo or as a couple. For an extra $50 and a jar of peanut butter, Tiger would join in.

by Anonymousreply 275July 21, 2019 9:08 PM

Didn't Bobby and Cindy swim naked in the neighbor's pool?

by Anonymousreply 276July 21, 2019 9:19 PM

Mike helped Greg go Gay4Pay. Greg wasn't into it at first, then Mike had a heart-to-heart with him. "It hurts at first, but once you relax you really start to like it. Now go out there and make Daddy some money."

by Anonymousreply 277July 21, 2019 11:39 PM

Is it true when Peter’s voice changed the price that they could whore him out dropped so sharply that the family had to eat Spam for a month?

by Anonymousreply 278July 21, 2019 11:55 PM

[quote]that the family had to eat Spam for a month?

Pork chops and applesauce.

by Anonymousreply 279July 22, 2019 12:03 AM

He had money.

You old people forgot what the 60s were like.

by Anonymousreply 280July 22, 2019 12:09 AM

[quote] Is it true when Peter’s voice changed the price that they could whore him out dropped so sharply that the family had to eat Spam for a month?

It’s true. We went from pork chops/apple sauce to Spam/Del Monte canned fruit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281July 22, 2019 1:44 AM

r281 that's a pic from the episode where Mike and Carol pimp out Peter to the Rotary Club. Carol needed a new car.

by Anonymousreply 282July 22, 2019 2:26 AM

Peter never complained, unlike his brothers. “But Dad, I don’t like getting fucked. But Dad, he comes in my mouth.” Nothing but lip.

by Anonymousreply 283July 22, 2019 5:00 AM

The middle child is always more accommodating.

by Anonymousreply 284July 22, 2019 5:04 AM

[quote]Wikipedia says that they originally planned to have Carole be a divorcee, but the network freaked on them so they left it unclear as to what had happened to her husband.

It was never unclear, the only source anyone has is Schwartz who constantly changes his stories about things. I love how one view of Schwartz is how he patterned Gilligan's Island after the seven deadly sins but apparently forgot the original castaways wouldn't have fit. Then he had to constantly change his views to keep up his changing stories.

It's like Lucy O'Ball who often will make excuses but everyone from Desi, Gary, her staff and even her own daughter Lucie says Lucy was always in complete control and any change she wanted would've been done instantly.

But those don't make good stories.

by Anonymousreply 285July 22, 2019 6:01 AM

Why are these stories of raping children funny to you? That shit really happens.

by Anonymousreply 286July 22, 2019 8:52 AM

R286 Do you think it's just one person who invades threads with his unfunny, creepy jokes? Or are there several of them?

"The Professor invented a bamboo toilet so Ginger and Mary-Ann gave Gillian a blumpkin while the Skipper jacked off"

It's so goddamed uncreative and unfunny. There is nothing clever or interesting about it. Anyone can say random dirty stuff about sitcom characters or the children of celebrities. Honestly, if it had made me laugh once in the 15 years I've been coming here, I might relent. But it really hasn't.

For the love of God, whoever you are, stop.

by Anonymousreply 287July 22, 2019 9:54 AM

Agreed, Pattifan. This was a nice thread until the pedo jokes got out of control.

by Anonymousreply 288July 22, 2019 12:38 PM

That mean ol' Buddy Hinton ith pothing thoth horrible jokth

by Anonymousreply 289July 22, 2019 1:02 PM

No, it that crumb Warren Malaney

by Anonymousreply 290July 22, 2019 1:03 PM

I think it's Miss Rah Rah, Kathy Williams

by Anonymousreply 291July 22, 2019 1:04 PM

It was that bitch Millicent, who is so polluted with STIs and disease she undoubtedly is polluting these threads too.

by Anonymousreply 292July 22, 2019 1:31 PM

Didn't Ann regularly bang the butcher? She was no lez.

by Anonymousreply 293July 22, 2019 1:45 PM

^mean Alice character

by Anonymousreply 294July 22, 2019 1:48 PM

I always hated that Alice was so loose. She dumps Sam like a hot potato for Mark Millard. She flirts with everyone, the mailman, the guy she sells tickets to family night to, and even attempts to buy Jan's love.

by Anonymousreply 295July 22, 2019 1:59 PM

Henderson wore a wig that first half season due to her hair being so short after filming "Song of Norway." But the Carol we all remember had that awful shag with the green pantsuit she wore a number of times.

by Anonymousreply 296July 22, 2019 2:47 PM

From the pic above, Mr. Brady wore a small, tight swimsuit. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 297July 22, 2019 2:47 PM

I loved Jan's breezy, SoCal accent.

by Anonymousreply 298July 22, 2019 2:50 PM

Mike Brady probably received a generous life insurance payout after his first wife's death. He obviously kept the money in an account and used it very conservatively in order to make it last so that he could afford the modern house he, himself designed, a maid, vacations and a new wife and whatever baggage she brought to his life.

A percentage of Mike's architect salary went to keeping his young, attractive boyfriends, of whom Carol either had no knowledge of or turned a blind eye to, happy and most importantly - quiet.

For her part, Carol blackmailed the father (or fathers) of her three daughters; "You give me x-amount or I will bury you with child support payments, alimony and maintenance, buddy (or buddies)." The x-amount? Carol rejected the first few offers she received from her mystery sperm donor (or donors), insisting that his check amount, or their check amounts, were "missing some zeros".

Television audiences in the 1960s just weren't ready for any of this so the show's producers and writers never made reference to any of this or included Mike and Carol's...backstories... in the show's story lines.

by Anonymousreply 299July 22, 2019 4:05 PM

Carol's mullet hairstyle was the result of hair clips attached Florence Henderson's natural hair (you'll notice that by the final season her "flip" was gone).

The laundry detergent episode was the single funniest Brady Bunch episodes. "You lay the suds on the little lady...". The hippie director of the commercial should have been a regular character.

The second funniest episode was the one where Greg tries of drive off the girl who Peter is in love with but who, instead, only has eyes for Greg.

Greg: "There are my workin' threads....I got some rules I want lay on you....you can have fair or you can have me..."

by Anonymousreply 300July 22, 2019 4:11 PM

[quote]I love how one view of Schwartz is how he patterned Gilligan's Island after the seven deadly sins

That doesn't make sense because it would leave Mrs. Howell as Wrath and that doesn't fit.

Lust - Ginger

Gluttony - Skipper

Greed - Mr. Howell

Sloth - Gilligan

Wrath - Mrs. Howell???

Envy - Mary Ann

Pride - Professor

by Anonymousreply 301July 22, 2019 4:55 PM

R301 clearly, Mrs. Howell would be gluttony and Skipper would be wrath since he's always beating (off) poor Gilligan!!!!

by Anonymousreply 302July 22, 2019 5:01 PM

I'm surprised the network was so concerned by Carol being a divorcee in 1969, when Vivian Vance had broken that taboo in 1962 on The Lucy Show.

by Anonymousreply 303July 22, 2019 5:03 PM

[quote]clearly, Mrs. Howell would be gluttony

Mrs. Howell doesn't fit gluttony either. Gluttony is excess of eating and Mrs. Howell was thin. Unless they added an eighth person called Purging.

by Anonymousreply 304July 22, 2019 5:57 PM

[quote]Mrs. Howell doesn't fit gluttony either. Gluttony is excess of eating and Mrs. Howell was thin. Unless they added an eighth person called Purging.

Yes, she does, and no, it doesn't just mean excess of eating.

noun: gluttony - habitual greed or excess in eating.

by Anonymousreply 305July 22, 2019 6:02 PM

And come to think of it, why would you place Gilligan under, Sloth? He wasn't lazy. Mrs. Howell on the other hand never did jackshit on the Island.

by Anonymousreply 306July 22, 2019 6:05 PM

I'd put Mrs. Howell as sloth, The Skipper as gluttony and Gilligan would be wrath since he must hate them all and that's why he fucks up every chance they get to get off the island.

by Anonymousreply 307July 22, 2019 6:08 PM

If Mike was on the downlow, why bother to remarry? He could plead the 'still mourning my dead wife' shtick for years. Keep Alice around to raise the boys, not have to worry about the trouble and expense of a new wife and her three spoiled princess daughters.

by Anonymousreply 308July 22, 2019 6:13 PM

[quote]If Mike was on the downlow, why bother to remarry?

In the 1950s - 1970s, all business men had to have a wife. Who was going to make the dinner when the boss came visiting? Even gay Sal on Mad Men had a wife as he was cruising the Ramble.

by Anonymousreply 309July 22, 2019 6:29 PM

R309 His wife didn't make dinner, that was Alice's job.

by Anonymousreply 310July 22, 2019 6:40 PM

[quote]His wife didn't make dinner, that was Alice's job.

There still needed to be a wife on hand to make sure the maid did her job.

Look at Andy Taylor. He had to bring in Aunt Bee because a single man couldn't entertain.

by Anonymousreply 311July 22, 2019 6:48 PM

R311 He brought in Aunt Bee, because he needed a mother figure for Opie.

by Anonymousreply 312July 22, 2019 6:54 PM

In that case, I suppose Carol isn't a bad choice: Since she's already got three kids, she's unlikely to want another baby. She also seemed fine with Mike's long 'work hours' as long as he kept the money coming in and didn't make her get a job. Of course all six kids had to share a bathroom in and stepsiblings that close in age would have been hooking up on the regular, but Mike obviously could give a fuck about that.

by Anonymousreply 313July 22, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]In the 1950s - 1970s, all business men had to have a wife.

That's true, it was all about appearances.

by Anonymousreply 314July 22, 2019 7:17 PM

[quote]FFS the only bathroom didn’t even have a toilet!

There were three bathrooms. Mike & Carol's master suite had its own ensuite bathroom, and Alice had a little bathroom just off her room.

by Anonymousreply 315July 22, 2019 7:44 PM

R315 I'm guessing there had to be at least a half bath somewhere for guests, as well. Who would want company, to have to go upstairs and through the master bedroom or the kids rooms to use the facilities, or to use the maid's toilet.

by Anonymousreply 316July 22, 2019 7:46 PM

So the kids were really the only ones living in squalor. Why it took Mike five fucking years to realize that maybe the attic space could be turned into living space is beyond me. The attic even had running water (there's a sink behind Greg), which means there could have been a bathroom up there too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317July 22, 2019 8:04 PM

Of course Mike realized he could have used the attic. He didn’t want any of the kids to have any privacy to prevent stepcest. Ultimately, Greg obtained some kind of leverage over his father to get his “pad.”. Can’t imagine what that was about.

by Anonymousreply 318July 22, 2019 8:11 PM

The kids would not be fucking. Jesus. M

by Anonymousreply 319July 22, 2019 8:16 PM

We don’t know if the Bradys but the two cars new or used.

by Anonymousreply 320July 22, 2019 8:19 PM

At that point Greg was a senior in high school and had hot jock friends. Mike needed to stay in good with the kid.

by Anonymousreply 321July 22, 2019 8:51 PM

In all seriousness, if you have six stepsiblings of opposite genders who didn't spend early childhood together (so no Westermarck effect), the ONLY sane thing would be to have two bedroom wings separated by the parents' room OR to have the kids on separate floors, and no shared bathrooms. Squishing them all together like that on the second floor was a recipe for weird shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 322July 22, 2019 8:53 PM

Given Mike's job, he definitely would have benefited from being white, male and married.

On Monday morning he's say to the boss, "Yea, I took the tits and the kids to Disney this weekend. Great to be back on the job!"

Meanwhile he has cum breath...

by Anonymousreply 323July 22, 2019 9:33 PM

I think when they moved Greg to the attic room, they were planning a backdoor pilot. "Greg Brady, College Man!" Every few weeks, they would have Ann B. Davis pop in to keep the Brady Bunch connection.

by Anonymousreply 324July 22, 2019 9:34 PM

[quote]Squishing them all together like that on the second floor was a recipe for weird shenanigans.

All I know is that Jan wasn't batshit crazy before Mom married Mr. Brady.

And how come, we always had to call him "Dad"? Most stepchildren called their step parents by their first name.

by Anonymousreply 325July 22, 2019 9:35 PM

If you take your Stepdad's last name, you're most likely fine with calling him, "dad."

by Anonymousreply 326July 22, 2019 9:38 PM

r301

It also doesn't make sense because Ginger and Mary Ann weren't in the original concept (pilot) and the professor was a high school teacher in the original concept.

by Anonymousreply 327July 22, 2019 9:50 PM

[quote]And how come, we always had to call him "Dad"? Most stepchildren called their step parents by their first name.

They did in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 328July 22, 2019 9:51 PM

Well, now we know, Schwartz was a damn, dirty, liar!

by Anonymousreply 329July 22, 2019 9:52 PM

r316

You can go behind the stairs to get to the back of the house. That pathway would lead to Alice's room. That bathroom probably served the downstairs as well as Alice.

by Anonymousreply 330July 22, 2019 9:53 PM

[quote]They did in the pilot.

That was before Mike did the nasty with our mother and we had to move into his ugly house. Once he was paying the bills, he made us call him "daddy".

I've written a letter to daddy,

I've sent it to Heaven above

by Anonymousreply 331July 22, 2019 9:55 PM

R315 the point is NONE of the bathrooms had a toilet!

by Anonymousreply 332July 22, 2019 9:56 PM

[quote]the point is NONE of the bathrooms had a toilet!

That's because you couldn't have a toilet on tv before All In The Family.

by Anonymousreply 333July 22, 2019 9:57 PM

We know, R333.

by Anonymousreply 334July 22, 2019 10:01 PM

I Love Lucy's toilet was in some mysterious closet behind their beds. It didn't look like they had enough room to fit a midget back there.

by Anonymousreply 335July 22, 2019 10:03 PM

Well, it seems obvious where Mike got all the money from. Carol's parents were rich, filthy rich. Get a load of that house Carol was living in before having to move in to that dump of Mike's. He married Carol for the money which would help him support his three kids and his side pieces.

It's obvious that after Mike married Carol, he and Jan drove the 20 minutes to Carol's parents house and got rid of them. Carol got the family riches as well as the money from the sale of the grand estate. Mike of course "managed," the money.

by Anonymousreply 336July 22, 2019 10:08 PM

Alice didn’t have a bathroom. She shared the back lawn with Tiger. After a while things got ugly and Tiger disappeared. The family just assumed the shit on the lawn was the dogs. Alice enjoyed assigning lawn policing to the kids.....a little too much.

by Anonymousreply 337July 22, 2019 10:21 PM

R333 Actually Leave It To Beaver, had the first toilet on television.

by Anonymousreply 338July 22, 2019 11:47 PM

I know it didn't happen onscreen, but I always assumed that Mike legally adopted Carol's three girls and Carol adopted Mike's sons.

That's why they called the step parents "Mom and "Dad."

Really people, this isn't brain surgery, it's the Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 339July 22, 2019 11:48 PM

[quote]At that point Greg was a senior in high school and had hot jock friends. Mike needed to stay in good with the kid.

That's also why Mike installed an outdoor shower and sauna next to the pool.

by Anonymousreply 340July 23, 2019 12:11 AM

He did tricks on the side

by Anonymousreply 341July 23, 2019 12:19 AM

There was an earlier episode where they mentioned that nobody could live in the attic as it was just a crawl space. So apparently the attic grew in relation to the kids aging.

by Anonymousreply 342July 23, 2019 12:33 PM

Alice’s most important task was to empty the chamber pots every morning.

by Anonymousreply 343July 23, 2019 12:36 PM

I forget where but I read if the Bradys went on for a 6th season they would have written in a pregnancy for Carol.

And I also don't remember where but I read that Carol was a writer for a women's magazine before she and Mike got married.

by Anonymousreply 344July 23, 2019 1:27 PM

How come Jan, the architect, got married to a scientist and they couldn't afford a house? They had to move in with Marcia (was she employed?) and Wally.

by Anonymousreply 345July 23, 2019 1:41 PM

Jan was as shitty an architect as her father.

by Anonymousreply 346July 23, 2019 1:44 PM

Why did FloHen consider herself a songstress?

by Anonymousreply 347July 23, 2019 2:30 PM

And if there was a season 6 it would have been without Mike or with a new actor playing him.

by Anonymousreply 348July 23, 2019 2:34 PM

R347 The power of Mrs. Brady’s voice regularly performed Christmas miracles.

by Anonymousreply 349July 23, 2019 2:38 PM

Because she had a good voice R347.

by Anonymousreply 350July 23, 2019 4:09 PM

[quote]Why did FloHen consider herself a songstress?

Because she was a musical STAR before she went grovelling to television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351July 23, 2019 4:23 PM

R351. Thanks. I’d walk out of that shit on an airplane. I know it’s a musical, but why are those three running everywhere? Sing your shitty song, and go the hell home.

by Anonymousreply 352July 23, 2019 4:34 PM

R351 Wow, that was embarrassing, and the choreographer should be shot.

by Anonymousreply 353July 23, 2019 4:40 PM

[quote]I know it’s a musical, but why are those three running everywhere?

Because it worked for Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354July 23, 2019 5:31 PM

^^^ Yes, but she was chased by children, not insinuating a three way with awkward dudes.

by Anonymousreply 355July 23, 2019 5:32 PM

Wow. That's bad. No ownder nobody remembers "Song of Norway." The song isn't even good.

by Anonymousreply 356July 23, 2019 5:35 PM

Flo always shown brightest in her Wesson commercials.

by Anonymousreply 357July 23, 2019 5:55 PM

In 1953, Flo did a revival of Oklahoma at City Center where she played Laurey. Believe it or not, Babs Cook played Ado Annie.

Then they asked her to record the role for a studio recording in 1964.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358July 23, 2019 5:57 PM

Whom did you prefer- straight-haired 60s Mike Brady or permed 70s Mike Brady?

by Anonymousreply 359July 23, 2019 6:02 PM

How did Mike afford to buy all those boys perms?

by Anonymousreply 360July 23, 2019 6:07 PM

[quote]Whom did you prefer- straight-haired 60s Mike Brady or permed 70s Mike Brady?

Straight-haired Mike!

by Anonymousreply 361July 23, 2019 6:10 PM

Alice had her own full bath because she needed a place to sit and cry. There was also a half bath downstairs used mostly by Mike to plop off his cumquats when he got home from "work"

by Anonymousreply 362July 23, 2019 6:18 PM

Nobody has any Robert Reed stories?

by Anonymousreply 363July 23, 2019 6:25 PM

But don't you think that the family room looked awfully small as well? How could you fit six kids in there? Their family room looked so uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 364July 23, 2019 6:30 PM

[quote]Nobody has any Robert Reed stories?

He loved black dick and he used to cruise Hollywood looking for it.

by Anonymousreply 365July 23, 2019 6:32 PM

Norway’s no good.....why should it’s song be?

by Anonymousreply 366July 23, 2019 8:09 PM

R358. That’s an hilarious album cover. Ol Flo’s hairdo is right out of the mid 60’s, not the late 1800’s lol.

by Anonymousreply 367July 23, 2019 8:45 PM

[quote]Norway’s no good.....why should it’s song be?

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 368July 23, 2019 9:00 PM

Mike loved Wesson oil too. He never used it for cooking, though.

by Anonymousreply 369July 23, 2019 10:03 PM

R337 Once Tiger vanished, what do you think was the main ingredient in all of those meatloaf casseroles that Alice made???

by Anonymousreply 370July 23, 2019 10:11 PM

Robert Reeds hair was naturally curly. He didn’t pay for that, that was his hair.

When it was straight was because it was straightened.

by Anonymousreply 371July 23, 2019 10:49 PM

They have a special coming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372July 23, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]Alice had her own bathroom

I remember that episode. Carol unveiled the new addition, Alice’s own water closet, and said, “Here, dear. Now you won’t have to dig a hole in the backyard. Your very own room to SHIT in. You know how to shit indoors, don’t you dear? Or does someone have to show you?”

by Anonymousreply 373July 23, 2019 10:50 PM

Out of all of those kids, Peter and Marcia have held up the best. Marcia was also the first Rebecca on Passions.

by Anonymousreply 374July 23, 2019 11:45 PM

R374 she didn’t last long. Idk why.

by Anonymousreply 375July 23, 2019 11:46 PM

Maureen looks great.

Has Eve forgiven her?

by Anonymousreply 376July 23, 2019 11:47 PM

Can we ditch Susan Olsen and cast the younger, prettier Cindy from the Christmas movie that impersonated Cindy and no one noticed.

by Anonymousreply 377July 23, 2019 11:48 PM

Cynthia Sofia Brady would be 26 in 1988. Why was she still in college hanging with teens?

by Anonymousreply 378July 23, 2019 11:50 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379July 23, 2019 11:54 PM

I think she’s had some work done since then.

by Anonymousreply 380July 24, 2019 12:00 AM

[quote]Robert Reeds hair was naturally curly. He didn’t pay for that, that was his hair...When it was straight was because it was straightened.

That's Reed's version and it's bullshit. Look at his hair, every curl is perfectly sized to the next curl. Then look at someone like Justin Timberlake and see the variance in curls. Timberlake's hair is a mess of ringlets, Reed's hair is perfectly sized curls

by Anonymousreply 381July 24, 2019 2:38 PM

R381 because different peoples hair can’t grow differently?

by Anonymousreply 382July 24, 2019 2:43 PM

R381 because different peoples hair can’t grow differently?

by Anonymousreply 383July 24, 2019 2:43 PM

Did you know that Queen herself specifically chose Robert Reed to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts?

I can just imagine him being invited to Buckingham Palace and Liz sitting behind a desk.

"So, Mr ...uh, Reed, is it? How lovely that you've come all his way. Are you a poof? Because her in gay Old England, we throw poofs in jail."

Oh, and are you telling me that all during his "The Defenders" years that he got his hair straightened? Puh-leeze. Bitch got a perm and refuses to admit it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384July 24, 2019 2:57 PM

NO ONE grows perfectly sized curls all over their head. Just look at Reed compared to any other person with truly curly hair.

by Anonymousreply 385July 24, 2019 3:03 PM

^^^ Maybe he was the boy with something extra?

by Anonymousreply 386July 24, 2019 3:06 PM

It required commitment, maintenance, and a perm.

by Anonymousreply 387July 24, 2019 3:56 PM

If you look at his short hair episodes of the BB it’s obvious he’s got hair that’s naturally curly - but it is cut short and brushed / sprayed to make it lie relatively flat - but it has a volume and texture that someone with naturally straight hair wouldn’t have.

by Anonymousreply 388July 24, 2019 5:18 PM

If you look at his short hair episodes of the BB it’s obvious he’s got hair that’s naturally curly - but it is cut short and brushed / sprayed to make it lie relatively flat - but it has a volume and texture that someone with naturally straight hair wouldn’t have.

by Anonymousreply 389July 24, 2019 5:18 PM

I have no idea how that double posted. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 390July 24, 2019 5:19 PM

My theory - Mike and Carol we’re having an affair after they met on one of Mike’s jobs. They were married to other people and wanted to find a way out and be together. So, they killed each other’s spouses and collected mad life insurance on them. That’s how they got a lot of the money to fund their lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 391July 24, 2019 5:29 PM

I don't understand the people saying Mike wouldn't have life insurance on his wife, at that time. Was that a middle class thing? After going through papers from my working class family, they had life insurance on everyone, regardless of whether they worked or not. Life insurance wasn't that expensive, especially for younger healthy people.

by Anonymousreply 392July 24, 2019 5:36 PM

In the 1960s and 70s, airports had boxes where you could fill out a form for airline insurance.

by Anonymousreply 393July 24, 2019 7:05 PM

[quote]I don't understand the people saying Mike wouldn't have life insurance on his wife, at that time. Was that a middle class thing?

What they are saying is you only took out life insurance on the breadwinner, which is not always correct. My parents had life insurance on each other and also the mortgage had insurance that paid off the house should either of them die. However the life insurance on my mother, was less than my father.

by Anonymousreply 394July 24, 2019 9:31 PM

At best Mike had wavy hair. You simply do not have the curls Robert Reed later had. Again look at someone like Justin Timberlake, any Jonas brother or Ben Savage. They are not able to simply cut their hair short and comb it. You need to straighten it with either an iron or chemically.

And when you straighten hair it looks a lot different from Mr Brady in the early years.

by Anonymousreply 395July 24, 2019 9:33 PM

R394 I can understand it being less but what I couldn't understand was the belief that only the breadwinner would have life insurance, it seems strange. For instance in my family, we buy life insurance on babies within the first year of life. I still have a $25,000 policy my mother bought when I was around 10 months old, she only had to make a one time payment of around $10.

by Anonymousreply 396July 24, 2019 9:43 PM

[quote] Alice vacuumed and went to the butcher.

No one could be butcher than Alice!

by Anonymousreply 397July 24, 2019 10:01 PM

R 396 - is that policy worth anything now? My great grandparents took out burial insurance on my grandmother in the 1910s - it was like a quarter a month and if the she died before 18 the funeral was paid for - I understand that was common among poor immigrant families back then. The oddest thing is when she did die at 82 the policy actually paid out several thousand dollars.

by Anonymousreply 398July 24, 2019 10:02 PM

R398 Yes, they send a statement every year, it is still worth $25,000 if I die, or I can cash it in for around $300.

by Anonymousreply 399July 24, 2019 10:04 PM

The house and rooms seem very small by today's standards.

But I was one of four kids (2 boys, 2 girls) and we had one bedroom for the boys and one for the girls. I know a family that had five kids where they had two bedrooms for most of the time the kids were growing up.

I blame HGTV, which now insists we need the width of a bowling alley between our enormous kitchen counters and island, and that little Bronwyn and Brayden need a bedroom larger than my first half-dozen apartments to sleep in, lest they bump up against something.

by Anonymousreply 400July 24, 2019 10:06 PM

I have naturally curly hair and if i grow it out and use the right product, I would have perfect round curls. I did this when I was much younger. Now I keep it short and use different product and style it so it has a part. I don't know why some people on here are so adamant that Robert Reed's hair wasn't naturally curly. Don't you have other things in your life to think about?

by Anonymousreply 401July 24, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]I blame HGTV, which now insists we need the width of a bowling alley between our enormous kitchen counters and island, and that little Bronwyn and Brayden need a bedroom larger than my first half-dozen apartments to sleep in, lest they bump up against something.

And don't forget every bedroom needs an en suite bathroom. GOD FORBID kids today have to share one bathroom that's in the hallway.

by Anonymousreply 402July 24, 2019 10:59 PM

Raising your children without an en suite bathroom in their rooms makes them grow up to be lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 403July 25, 2019 12:51 AM

Did Alice have to shovel the dogshit in the backyard and throw it over the fence?

by Anonymousreply 404July 25, 2019 1:12 AM

Who gives a fuck about Robert Reed’s hair?

by Anonymousreply 405July 25, 2019 1:48 AM

R405 You're new here, aren't you, toots?

We've had three threads fill up just on the theme song from "Alice."

by Anonymousreply 406July 25, 2019 1:58 AM

I care because it was awful. I know it was a "style" back then to have a goofy perm (Tommy Ross in "Carrie") but his was especially goofy because his was all round and "fro-ie" and looked ridiculous. All to look "hip". Second gayest thing he did.

by Anonymousreply 407July 25, 2019 2:05 AM

[quote]Don't you have other things in your life to think about?

Apparently you don't...

by Anonymousreply 408July 25, 2019 2:42 AM

R399, you in danger, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 409July 25, 2019 10:46 AM

The three to a bedroom (especially since the bedrooms were relatively big) seems less of a problem than the six to a bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 410July 25, 2019 11:45 AM

Mike was the Burke Ramsey of his time

by Anonymousreply 411July 25, 2019 12:12 PM

He does escort service on the side

by Anonymousreply 412July 25, 2019 12:35 PM

This is the most. DL. Thread. EVER.

by Anonymousreply 413July 25, 2019 12:50 PM

His fro doo makes me think he probably put on a sequin American flag tanktop, hot pants, and roller skates and skated around WeHo on his days off.

by Anonymousreply 414July 25, 2019 4:26 PM

There are two issues tied into the bedroom / bathroom discussion - first, in that era, even among middle / upper middle class families it was very common for siblings to share bedrooms and many houses only had one full bath by the bedrooms - there may have only been an en suite powder room in the master bedroom, if that - homes were much smaller overall back then. Second, and more importantly, this is a TV show - shared bed & bathrooms can be used to create conflict and also give the characters a natural reason to be in the same space when writing a scene - Gillian / Skipper and Ginger / Maryanne had no logical reasons to share huts - they built four, they just as easily could have built six.

by Anonymousreply 415July 25, 2019 5:07 PM

If you look at plans for houses built before WWII, even some big, high end homes had limited bathrooms per bedroom. There just wasn't this notion we have today that every single member of the household required their own bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 416July 25, 2019 5:15 PM

You must be a hoot at parties, r415.

by Anonymousreply 417July 25, 2019 5:17 PM

R416, I’m old enough to remember when having an en suite was a very big deal, usually reserved for only the wealthiest of homes.

by Anonymousreply 418July 25, 2019 5:18 PM

Why thank you R417! Indeed I am.

by Anonymousreply 419July 25, 2019 6:23 PM

Mike and Carol had at least a shower, there were at least two episodes where they come out of the room drying themselves and their hair off, implying they've taken a shower.

by Anonymousreply 420July 25, 2019 6:35 PM

R415 The huts on Gillian’s Island only had 3 walls at best with no roofs. They could have built 20.

by Anonymousreply 421July 25, 2019 6:55 PM

How far did Mike live from his work? Seems like the no matter where the Brady's went, they were less than 20 minutes form their destination to home?

by Anonymousreply 422July 25, 2019 6:59 PM

R422, you're obviously not familiar with LA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423July 25, 2019 7:02 PM

[quote]Mike and Carol had at least a shower, there were at least two episodes where they come out of the room drying themselves and their hair off, implying they've taken a shower.

Or Alice had just given them a golden shower in the gimp closet.

by Anonymousreply 424July 25, 2019 7:02 PM

There's always somebody in these threads who thinks it's hilarious to imagine scat, piss, incest scenarios, etc.

You're not funny.

by Anonymousreply 425July 25, 2019 7:12 PM

Mike would invite Greg's friends over and give them $20 each for a bukkake session.

by Anonymousreply 426July 25, 2019 8:58 PM

[quote]There's always somebody in these threads who thinks it's hilarious to imagine scat, piss, incest scenarios, etc. You're not funny.

You’re right. We should all treat this subject with the gravitas and seriousness it deserves.

by Anonymousreply 427July 25, 2019 9:17 PM

I have no problem with dirty jokes if they are funny ones. Few of these have been funny.

by Anonymousreply 428July 26, 2019 1:05 AM

Makr Maldrill

by Anonymousreply 429July 26, 2019 3:16 AM

R429 My old flame(r)!

by Anonymousreply 430July 26, 2019 9:07 AM

I loved him

by Anonymousreply 431July 29, 2019 2:37 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!