Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Saw Jaclyn Smith On A "Becker" Rerun

She was actually very funny.

I never thought of any of the Charlie's Angels as able to be amusing, let alone funny. It's too bad she never got any offers to do funny stuff, she could've had a second career.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 9:53 PM

I like Ted Danson, but I could never get into Becker.

by Anonymousreply 1July 19, 2019 1:47 PM

She was quite amusing. Maybe she works better in front of an audience?

by Anonymousreply 2July 19, 2019 1:49 PM

"Becker" wasn't bad. Shawnee Smith was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 3July 19, 2019 1:52 PM

[quote]I Saw Jaclyn Smith On A "Becker" Rerun

Oh, the humanity!

by Anonymousreply 4July 19, 2019 1:54 PM

I used to like Becker, but I haven’t seen it since it went off the air. I did happen to catch Jaclyn Smith on a Charlie’s Angel’s rerun yesterday though.

by Anonymousreply 5July 19, 2019 2:00 PM

she did have a second career (KMart) and became quite wealthy in the process

by Anonymousreply 6July 19, 2019 2:01 PM

Becker was hysterical. The African American nurse was on the Electric Company. And the guy who played Bob was funny. Becker was like a liberalized Archie Bunker.

Jaclyn Smith played his ex-girlfriend who was a total jerk. She was a cheat and a liar and Becker fell for her all over and she was hysterical as that character. Possibly because she was playing a jerk and going against character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 19, 2019 2:08 PM

I loved Becker. It was the ONLY one of those 90s NYC-set sitcoms that actually looked anything like NYC... not just the diverse cast but also the grungy sets. Maybe because it was mean't to be 'gritty' and set in the Bronx. Also one of the few shows of its time to have a genuinely unlikeable lead character.

The darker misanthropic humour made it stand out, Shawnee Smith stole scenes left and right, and it did well to combine a couple of other sitcom tropes instead of just focusing on one thing... eg. an office comedy, a will-they/won't-they romance sitcom, and the typical Seinfeld/Friends diner scenes.

The 9/11 episode was very moving, I also loved the episode that was designed to showcase Hattie Winston more (her Emmy bait episode, frankly). She sings "It Could Happen To You" at the end and she sounded amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 2:19 PM

They fired Reggie for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 2:42 PM

r9

Terry Farrell said she never got a real explanation of why. No one ever seems to know. Farrell said, her character Reggie and Becker had a will they / won't they, type of thing for awhile, and once they had done it, the writers thought it would be a change to just write the character off. The writers were like "It's never been done before, so let's do it." At least Farrell said that is what she was told officially.

Ted Danson said, he doesn't know except her contract wasn't renewed. Nancy Travis who played Chris, who in a way replaced Reggie said she was only given a short term four episode arc contract, so she was definitely not intended as a long term character, because if the producers wanted that, she could've easily booked another job and they'd have been stuck, if they intended Chris to be long term and didn't tell her.

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 3:06 PM

We should have kept them both on and have a triangle that would have been fun.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 3:51 PM

This really was a departure for her - first comedy, then playing a bad girl! She was not bad! Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 12July 23, 2019 2:37 AM

Shawnee had perfect comedic timing.

I think they ran out of times to write about for Reggie. Terry was not used well.

by Anonymousreply 13July 23, 2019 3:25 AM

I adopted a shelter cat on "Becker."

Her name was Bootsie Gumdrops.

by Anonymousreply 14July 23, 2019 4:33 AM

Jaclyn Smith net worth: $90 Million

Born October 26, 1945 in Houston, Texas, Jaclyn Smith is best known for her role as Kelly Garrett on the television series Charlie's Angeles. Smith was the only female lead character to remain for the during of the show's run (1976-81). She is also known for her own highly successful brand of clothing and perfume. Today her brand produces home furnishings, bed sheets, towels and much more. She reportedly generates over $100 million per year in gross sales through partnerships with Kmart and other retail outlets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 23, 2019 5:09 AM

I was watching an episode yesterday. It was Xmas themed and I was dying at Linda's terrible singing when she goes Caroling with Margaret. Shawnee's done pretty well for herself with Becker and then the Saw franchise.

by Anonymousreply 16July 23, 2019 9:20 AM

R16 I love the banter between Margaret and Linda. One of those unexpectedly enjoyable pairings.

by Anonymousreply 17July 23, 2019 11:39 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 23, 2019 11:53 AM

90 million?! Yasss, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 19July 23, 2019 12:01 PM

A fan posted this picture on Twitter this morning and Jaclyn responded, "#still proud".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 23, 2019 8:47 PM

Does that mean she STILL won't do anal?

by Anonymousreply 21July 23, 2019 9:33 PM

I saw Jaclyn Smith down at the Tastee-Freez.

by Anonymousreply 22July 23, 2019 9:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!