Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cathy Lee Crosby as Wonder Woman (1974)

I'm watching this now on Amazon Prime, and holy shit it's terrible. You can see from the GIF what her costume looked like, and her character doesn't have any powers at all. She couldn't even jump over a damn gate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 2:18 PM

So, basically, she is a glorified Olympian?

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 11:05 PM

I loved this movie when I was little.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 11:09 PM

She looks like some sort of futuristic stewardess.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 11:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 11:21 PM

Her means of transportation wasn't exactly an invisible plane, just a tiny burro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 11:28 PM

It really wasn't that far removed from the depowered Wonder Woman comics of the day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 11:30 PM

Diana flew in the Invisible Jet in the 1974 TV-Movie. Remember? Her plane was just "that much faster" than Ricardo's.

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 11:36 PM

R2, me too.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 11:39 PM

R7 , Oh okay I saw that. They didn't actually show the invisible plane, they just showed a point-of-view shot from a helicopter, more than likely.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 11:45 PM

This TV film traumatized me in my youth. Wonder Woman has been my favorite comic book superhero since childhood. I was expecting Wonder Woman and I was like 'who's this powerless bitch'. Granted, I get they were trying to do the powerless WW but fuck all that for her first TV appearance. God bless Lynda Carter always. Those first 2 TV films and that first season set during World War 2 more than made up for that Cathy Lee Crosby shit.

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 11:56 PM

Diana got her powers back in 1972, so she was already back to her super-powered self for over a year when the 1974 TV-Movie aired. They chose to go with the non-powered Diana, which was fine by me.

CLC's Diana definitely has Diana's spirit, warmth and wit. She is a Wonder Woman in every way except for the gods' blessings of superhuman powers.

Anitra Ford is terrific as the rogue Amazon! Her battle with Diana is pretty cool!

Of course, the incredible 1975 "The New, Original Wonder Woman" is like having the 1941 origin story come to life, but the 1974 version is still good and fun in its own right.

Plus, this movie did excellent in the ratings which made the 1975 version possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 12:00 AM

If anyone ever wondered what Sour Humorless Lesbian Face is, refer to OP’s photo.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 12:06 AM

Lynda Carter and the 40s fighting the Nazis version was really well-done for what it was trying to be. And of course, she WAS Wonder Woman. Perfect casting, even down to Beatrice Colen as Etta Candy. AND THAT THEME SONG!! Charles Fox Singers sang the shit out of it.

The 70s version was boring and the plotlines were worse.

They should bring back Wonder Woman fighting the Nazis, White Supremacists, Trump Supporters, and Russians. I'd watch it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 12:07 AM

Ellie Wood Walker as Wonder Woman back in 1967.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 12:12 AM

Angela: "Oh, I WILL take your life."

Andrew Prine was smarmy and a little sexy, too.

Fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 12:20 AM

I blacked this out from my memory!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 12:23 AM

I like how Ellie Wood Walker has a very authentic costume for 1967!

Wonder Woman had returned to the boots that year, so maybe this was conceived before the return of the boots instead of the sandals.

The eagle and white belt are fabulous!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 12:27 AM

Lynda Carter had bigger boobs. That’s why she was the better Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 12:47 AM

I wish they had these kind of special effects back in the 70s when Lynda Carter played Wonder Woman, because I'm not that big of a fan of Gal Gadot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2019 1:01 AM

1968-72 era New Wonder Woman had more of a mod, Emma Peel vibe.

I didn't really care for Cathy Lee as WW. She had a very mean, hard look, and looked nothing like the New Wonder Woman comic that they based her character on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 1:06 AM

Anitra Ford would have been a great Wonder Woman but luckily she was cast as the villain otherwise we might never had gotten Lynda.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 6:45 AM

I remember watching the Cathy Lee Crosby WW as a gayling of 12 when it first aired in 1974. I HATED it. LOATHED it. Felt so betrayed since this was not the Wonder Woman I loved. Was so happy a year later when Lynda and WWII version of Wonder Woman aired.

And yes, I did realize at the time, 45 years ago, that they were essentially doing the non-powered version of the WW comic book with the Cathy Lee Crosby version. I also HATED the non-powered comic book version.

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 6:58 AM

Gaylings were unhinged even in 1974 over a TV-Movie.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 10:37 AM

Add me to the list of upset gaylings when this aired. And I was only 6! I had just started reading comics and watching SUPER FRIENDS, and WW was my favorite. My older brother had been telling me all week there would be a Wonder Woman movie coming on, and I could not wait. I even had a couple of nerd friends over to spend the night and watch it. We were all like, "Who is this bitch pretending to be Wonder Woman!!!???" My brother was an asshole, and I think he played it up knowing I'd be disappointed.

That said, it was sort of campy fun, in parts. When the REAL WW appeared in the form of Lynda Carter, I was a very happy little gay.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 11:55 AM

This gayling loved it in 1974.

CLC had Diana’s spirit and warmth.

Okay, I even had my Grandmother make a CLC-style Wonder Woman costume for one of my sister’s blonde Barbies. She was a seamstress with an eye for detail, so the outfit was flawless!

Grannie even made a small eagle pin out of gold thread like on Cathy Lee’s costume. I wish I still had it.

BTW, the Lynda Carter version is incredible and I love her Wonder Woman, too, of course.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 12:38 PM

Cathy Lee then and now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 2:27 PM

Here's an outfit I doubt we'd ever see Lynda in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2019 2:29 PM

Lynda Carter from Bobbie Jo and the Outlaw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2019 3:05 PM

I'm geeking out!!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2019 3:31 PM

This would be incredible to own!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 19, 2019 3:31 PM

It’s a very weird take on the character. I know about Diana’s depowered period in the comic. This wasn’t that. It’s just weird. The Lynda Carter version was no Shakespeare, but it was so faithful to the source material that it couldn’t help but to attract her built in fan base.

Adapting a superhero for the screen does not require reinventing the wheel. Stick to the source material, at least for the character’s basic components. This is why the Batman TV series worked so well, despite being a radical, comedic departure otherwise. It’s also why Halle Berry’s Catwoman is such a failure.

by Anonymousreply 31July 19, 2019 3:33 PM

And yet, Cathy Lee Crosby's Wonder Woman was a spectacular success in the ratings which made the Lynda Carter version possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 19, 2019 3:38 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 19, 2019 3:39 PM

And yet, Cathy Lee Crosby's Wonder Woman is largely forgotten 45 years later, and only remembered as an oddity for it's unnecessary deviations from the source material, which was served so much better by more faithful adaptations such as Lynda Carter's and Gal Gadot's.

by Anonymousreply 34July 19, 2019 4:58 PM

She looks like a flight attendant for Fascist Airlines.

by Anonymousreply 35July 19, 2019 4:58 PM

Just a reminder that DL fave, Andrew Prine, had something about him the DataLounge just loved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 19, 2019 5:50 PM

[quote]And yet, Cathy Lee Crosby's Wonder Woman was a spectacular success in the ratings which made the Lynda Carter version possible.

It was a spectacular success because people knew the name Wonder Woman. They were familiar with the character and tuned in to see the character they liked.

I sincerely doubt the show would have been a ratings success if they'd called it Daring Damsel or Amazing Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 37July 19, 2019 11:03 PM

Cloris Leachman was a horrid Hippolyta. As was Carolyn Jones.

Cathy Lee's Hippolyta was more regal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 19, 2019 11:11 PM

[quote]Diana got her powers back in 1972, so she was already back to her super-powered self for over a year when the 1974 TV-Movie aired. They chose to go with the non-powered Diana, which was fine by me.

What I could never quite get about the Lynda Carter version was how inconsistent it seemed to be with regard to Diana's powers. Whenever you would see her on Paradise Island with all of the other Amazon women, they could all do these incredible feats seemingly just naturally, yet when Diana went to America, she could never do anything without first spinning around and turning into Wonder Woman -- i.e., as Diana, she just seemed to be a mere mortal and nothing more.

I seem to recall several episodes in which Diana would be taken hostage and tied up but didn't seem to have the strength to break free and you would sit there wondering "Why the hell can't she just bust through the ropes?" (Even when not dressed as Superman, Clark Kent always had his powers.) They always had to find a way for Diana to get untied first so she could turn into Wonder Woman and then she'd have her powers -- yet let her visit Paradise Island and she like all the other women could do all of these superhuman things. It just made no sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 39July 19, 2019 11:43 PM

The Seventies-set CBS seasons had Diana powerless in her non-costumed identity for whatever reasons. I guess to make it more exciting when she because Wonder Woman.

However, as cool as the 1940s-set ABC episodes were, they were the ones that came up with the wretched weakness whenever Wonder Woman's belt was snatched off her so easily. Every Nazi and criminal knew to rip off the easily-ripped off Velcro-ed golden belt in order to take away her powers. It was ridiculous and clearly the worst part of the ABC episodes.

I also hated how the Feminum was a natural shield for bullets, negating what was supposed to be Diana's super-speed. When John Sexy Saxon took over Paradise Island, the Amazons were powerless without their bracelets. But if they even had one, they just had to hold it up and the Nazis gave up, knowing no bullet would ever get past the bracelet.

But Diana winning The Contest was decided by her superior speed in deflecting bullets actively, not just holding up a bracelet.

ABC was great but far from perfect.

Lynda Day George WAS perfect as Fausta Grables, though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 19, 2019 11:56 PM

Kaz Garas was certainly no Lyle Waggoner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2019 12:08 AM

Cathy Lee didn't have Debra Winger playing Drusilla.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2019 12:13 AM

I would love to know what Debra Winger would say about those episodes now.

by Anonymousreply 43July 20, 2019 12:20 AM

Probably something cunty...

by Anonymousreply 44July 20, 2019 5:57 AM

About 15 years ago, Winger dressed as Wonder Girl on Letterman, so she has a sense of humor about it. She has said bad things about Lynda Carter being not very nice on set.

by Anonymousreply 45July 20, 2019 7:44 AM

Wonder Woman was created by psychologist and swinger William Marston. He was married and in a polyamorous relationship with a woman named Olive Byrne, who was rumored to be the inspiration for WW. He believed in the superiority of women and was also into bondage, which explains the magic lasso.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 20, 2019 7:50 AM

The many moods of Cathy Lee Crosby:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 20, 2019 7:54 AM

I was hesitant about Gadot but she really squashed that. The accent, the look, everything about her WW is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 48July 20, 2019 9:37 AM

That’s Incredible!

by Anonymousreply 49July 20, 2019 10:01 AM

[Quote] They should bring back Wonder Woman fighting the Nazis, White Supremacists, Trump Supporters, and Russians. I'd watch it.

The CW would make a mess of it.

by Anonymousreply 50July 20, 2019 11:32 AM

I would not watch Black Lesbian Etta Candy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 20, 2019 12:34 PM

[Quote] I would not watch Black Lesbian Etta Candy.

????

by Anonymousreply 52July 20, 2019 12:57 PM

The 2016 DC Rebirth newest origin of Wonder Woman turned all of the women in the cast into lesbian-leaning bisexuals - ALL of them. CW would certainly play it this way.

And Etta Candy was turned Black and into a lesbian Amanda Waller clone.

by Anonymousreply 53July 20, 2019 1:12 PM

I did NOT give my approval for Cathy Lee Crosby to portray me! At least Lynda Carter asked for my advice when she played me later.

Oh, that last film? They didn't involve me AT ALL, and I'm FUMING over it. Such disrespect!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 20, 2019 1:27 PM

R53 I'm not seeing the problem but you're right. The CW would definitely go in that direction.

by Anonymousreply 55July 20, 2019 1:38 PM

I'm tired of CW Lesbians.

I'm tired of DC turning all of its straight female characters into bisexuals or Lesbians while the straight males remain straight.

When Nightwing and Arsenal "turn" bisexual, then I won't be sick anymore of DC's Parade of Lesbians.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 20, 2019 1:44 PM

Cathy Lee Crosby was a high level tennis player back in the day which means she was no stranger to the lady pond...

by Anonymousreply 57July 21, 2019 8:08 AM

That's what you get with inferior actresses

by Anonymousreply 58July 21, 2019 2:04 PM

The epitome of everything wrong with taking a well fleshed out story and totally re-writing it - ala Bryan Singer.

by Anonymousreply 59July 21, 2019 2:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!