Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looking to move to NY from the UK with someone else who has the same adventures aspiration

I'm a woman in my early 30's and still have that pipedream of moving to NYC someday, but with each passing year, I ask myself if I should just forget about it. Is it too far away from my family. However, I’m realising that I am not a person with regrets and I have therefore started to appreciate that in a years time I should totally move to NY. Now, I would enjoy this a lot more if I had someone else to go on this adventure with and I figured that there has to be someone else out there who is looking to move to NY in a years time. I have a youthful spirit and I try to live my best life every day. I get on with most people. I’m driven and with ambition. I have lived in multiple countries over the span of a decade, all on my own, but this time I want to share the experience with someone else. A potential female friend would be the dream. None of my friends share the same idea so if anyone out there are planning to do the same reach out :)

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2020 5:18 PM

Sweetie, NYC is full of people just like you, from all over. You can find them when you get here!

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2019 2:31 PM

Do it now as when you reach my age (62) you lose some of that adventuring spirit. I look back at some of the things I took on and it baffles me how I pulled it off without concern.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2019 2:36 PM

ny is a shithole.

waiting for the tidal wave to wipe that place out,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2019 2:37 PM

And, the one thing even the most jaded NYer falls for is a British accent. I have seen it time and time again. You will find like minded adventurers.

by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2019 2:38 PM

I think you need to first ask yourself the question: Why NYC? It's a lot different living here than it is visiting. Many visitors make the mistake of "Oh, I could live here." It easy to say that from a hotel room. It's a lot harder when you are living in a small apartment, with noisy neighbors, cockroaches and mice and a landlord that wants to squeeze every cent out of you.

Sometimes fun things are meant to be enjoyed casually and not every day.

That being said. NYC is extremely expensive. Do you have a large amount of savings? Do you have a plan for a job? What are you willing to sacrifice to live here? How long of a commute can you tolerate? Can you survive on your own? NYC can be a very lonely place. There are endless number of questions to ask yourself.

I don't say these things to discourage you but just to get you to think and ask yourself questions. NYC is a wonderful place. I've lived here for 27 years. But enter into the idea of moving here with a sober frame of mind and not from a tourist brochure mindset.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2019 2:50 PM

I’m similar to you, but New York is not one of my destinations. I thought about living there in my 20s. Kind of wish I had, just for the experience. If you’re thinking of doing this, do it while you are your age because even at 40, I’ve lost some of that risk taking and adventurous spirit that I’ve always had. UK to NY seems expensive. Do you know anyone in NY who could help out and guide you a bit? I would suggest you post to reddit on themed groups. Maybe solo travel, travel partners, moving, etc.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2019 2:59 PM

What about the visa? Not that easy to move to the US if you don't have a company vor husband that sponsors your visa....

by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2019 3:03 PM

Frau cunt, why should we care?

Who cares where you live? Who cares if you’re fat or thin? Who cares if you live or die?

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2019 3:11 PM

I'm a man in my early 50's (look mid 30's) and still have that pipedream of moving to Marrakech someday, but with each passing year, I ask myself if I should just forget about it. Is it too far away from my family. However, I’m realising that I am not a person with regrets and I have therefore started to appreciate that in a years time I should totally move to Marrakech. Now, I would literally enjoy this a lot more if I had someone else to go on this adventure with and I totally figured that there has to be someone else out there who is looking to move to Marrakech in a years time. I have a youthful spirit and I try to live my best life every day. I get on with most people. I’m driven and with ambition. I have lived in multiple countries over the span of a decade, all on my very own like a big grown up person, but this time I want to share the experience with someone else. A potential male friend would be the dream. None of my friends share the same idea so if anyone out there are planning to do the same reach out :)

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2019 3:12 PM

Why would anyone want to move to the United States at this point in history?

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2019 3:13 PM

..did you know we're riding on the Marrakech express?

by Anonymousreply 11July 18, 2019 3:14 PM

" in my early 50's (look mid 30's)"

Yawn, why can't old people accept what they're.....old? Everyone here always claims to look at least 10 years younger than they really are. This is getting really tiresome. Bet you look your age.

by Anonymousreply 12July 18, 2019 3:18 PM

[quote]Why would anyone want to move to the United States at this point in history?

Because the US is the only country with a stable economy.

by Anonymousreply 13July 18, 2019 3:33 PM

Is that so, R13?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 18, 2019 3:53 PM

Bumping

by Anonymousreply 15February 16, 2020 3:16 PM

R15, is that you OP? Did you move to NY? Why are you bumping this old thread?

by Anonymousreply 16February 16, 2020 3:18 PM

Don’t move here. We don’t want you people here anymore. Quit invading others homes.

by Anonymousreply 17February 16, 2020 3:19 PM

It's just a new city mary! If you want to move there, move there.

But yes it is quite expensive. Do you have an established career that you can find a nice job there? Do you have saving?

But I've moved around a lot in my life, it really isn't that scary.

by Anonymousreply 18February 16, 2020 3:28 PM

OP doesn't have a fucking job. OP is planning on working illegally. OP probably overstayed already.

by Anonymousreply 19February 16, 2020 3:30 PM

[quote] What about the visa?

Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 16, 2020 3:37 PM

Do it. I’ve lived here for 30 years. It I always thought I would move to California - but never did and regret it now. It’s hard - and you will likely move back to UK. But it’s a great thing to have lived in other places. In older age, you will fell you didn’t miss anything.

If you can manage London, you can manage NYC. Equally expensive. You can always live in Jersey City or outer Brooklyn or Queens.

by Anonymousreply 21February 16, 2020 3:43 PM

What is this weird thing of people just randomly moving around? That is a sign of mental illness and someone who doesn’t know themselves or what they want.

No goals. Nothing.

by Anonymousreply 22February 16, 2020 3:45 PM

What is the weird thing of people who just stay where they are born? That is so lame. It’s like being born poor and just saying “that’s fine”.

by Anonymousreply 23February 16, 2020 3:49 PM

I live in nyc. It’s better to visit here than to live here.

by Anonymousreply 24February 16, 2020 3:54 PM

Can you afford to live alone? At least $3000/ month for a decent place. Do you havre a good job or a lot of money? I have lived here for 37 years. I loved it until the last few years. Like the prostitute says "It's not the work, it's the stairs." Getting around this city has never been harder.

by Anonymousreply 25February 16, 2020 3:55 PM

R23 why not stay where you are ACTUALLY FROM? Most people move to places they have zero business even being. That is why NYC turnover is so high. Most people that move here leave within 2 years, and that includes wealthy.

You don’t have to stay where you were born but there are many cities one can move to. Everyone acts like there are only 4 or 5 cities in the world. It’s weird.

by Anonymousreply 26February 16, 2020 3:56 PM

Everyone should move form the city in which they were born. It’s pure ignorance to avoid learning about other ways to live - which is what you get in a different city. Fine if you move back to your home town. But a crime to never have lived outside of your city if you can. That has always been one of the strengths of gay men. We find other ways of living that weren’t taught to us growing up. Absence of interest in living Other place shows an absence of interest in learning about life.

by Anonymousreply 27February 16, 2020 4:01 PM

Stay where you’re from. Moving away doesn’t erase the reality you’re from there.

by Anonymousreply 28February 16, 2020 4:03 PM

R27 Maybe you should go move to Alaska then. You seem to have so much mouth to tell other people what they should be doing.

How about you go move your ass to Alaska then?

Go on, go for it.

by Anonymousreply 29February 16, 2020 4:08 PM

Quick y’all, let’s build a wall.

by Anonymousreply 30February 16, 2020 4:15 PM

People need to stop invading others homes.

by Anonymousreply 31February 16, 2020 4:16 PM

Personally I find it really weird when people have only lived in the same place their whole life. You only live once.

by Anonymousreply 32February 16, 2020 4:16 PM

That is what TRAVELING is for r32.

by Anonymousreply 33February 16, 2020 4:18 PM

Some people are genuinely happy to live their life where they were born. Nothing wrong with it at all.

That's why "traveling" is a thing. Or you could spend extended periods of time elsewhere. Like 4 to 6 months in another city. That's my idea of living elsewhere. But never permanently. I'm genuinely happy living where I was born. Plus my city is a tourist destination, so you see a lot of interesting people come in and out of this historic city.

I'm never moving.

by Anonymousreply 34February 16, 2020 4:56 PM

I think this is what OP is imagining it will be like.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 16, 2020 4:59 PM

So there is clearly a troll here who is determined to justify staying exactly where he was born. OP - learn from this. Don’t let yourself become him.

by Anonymousreply 36February 16, 2020 5:01 PM

R34 I feel the same way. And most of the people I know and grew up with love our state. Some of us move to different areas, but we stay within the same state. I love my home state and although I can afford to live in LA or Miami or NYC or wherever, I have zero desire.

I travel.

by Anonymousreply 37February 16, 2020 5:01 PM

R36 there are more than one of us, and that is what TRAVEL is for.

by Anonymousreply 38February 16, 2020 5:02 PM

R37 and R38 Exactly. I live my state and my my home city. As well as the history of this part of the country. It's very rich and nuanced.

You two get it.

by Anonymousreply 39February 16, 2020 5:15 PM

Meh!!! I want to do this in the near future. Otherwise I don't see clear advantages of my freelance work.

by Anonymousreply 40February 16, 2020 5:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!