Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Big Little Lies' S02E06 Discussion Thread

[quote][italic]The Bad Mother[/italic]

[quote]Celeste is blindsided by Mary Louise; Bonnie contemplates a solution to her mother's suffering and her own ongoing guilt; Ed entertains an unusual proposition; The Monterey Five feel the pressure of increased scrutiny of Perry's death.

9 pm ET on HBO. Render unto Arnold the things that are Arnold's, and unto Vallée the things that are Vallée's. Or something.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280July 24, 2019 7:10 PM

Episode five thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2019 11:33 PM

You can catch up on the Arnold drama from this week if you missed it.

[quote]HBO and David E. Kelley took the show away from Arnold, as executive producer Jean-Marc Vallée tried to return it to his S1 style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2019 11:36 PM

Celeste is Monterey’s worst lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2019 12:38 AM

r3 She really is. I wonder how unlawyerly she'll behave in tonight's court scene to end all court scenes.

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2019 12:40 AM

JUst die, Meryl. W're all sick of your horse face and your overrated and OTT performances

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2019 12:46 AM

Thanks Meryl for the homage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2019 12:48 AM

Why does Renata pronounce Madeline's name with a long "i"; Madelyne?

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2019 12:54 AM

I wish Nicole or Reese would talk about the post-shoot role of Andrea Arnold. Their silence is deafening and they are producers.

by Anonymousreply 8July 15, 2019 12:55 AM

i hope this episode is a bit longer

by Anonymousreply 9July 15, 2019 1:04 AM

Ugh, the aspie.

by Anonymousreply 10July 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Madeline is being a bit too cunty.

by Anonymousreply 11July 15, 2019 1:09 AM

Just fucking euthanize her already, Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 12July 15, 2019 1:17 AM

Renata's first thought is to try and influence the judge, like a MOB BOSS.

by Anonymousreply 13July 15, 2019 1:18 AM

Mary Mother of God! Ambien sex.

by Anonymousreply 14July 15, 2019 1:24 AM

Physics!

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 1:27 AM

Well, primetime ruined this episode.

I had no idea Celeste... got around so much during her Ambien episodes.

by Anonymousreply 16July 15, 2019 1:38 AM

Bride of Frankenchin

by Anonymousreply 17July 15, 2019 1:38 AM

That courtroom looks so pretty, I've never seen anything like it on TV before. Does anyone know where that is?

by Anonymousreply 18July 15, 2019 1:39 AM

That judge is kinda amazing.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2019 1:43 AM

Why is there such a big audience for a custody hearing?

by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2019 1:45 AM

r20 Haha, so true!

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Celeste’s Perry Mason moment!

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 1:48 AM

Holy shit, Laura Dern ACTING!

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 1:48 AM

Stress Management

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 1:49 AM

So the final courtroom showdown - and Meryl's flashback scenes - will be next week? I bet it's going to be everything we ever wanted, and more.

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 1:52 AM

“Special thanks to Jean-Marc Vallee”?

I hope stinky slag Celeste loses custody of her kids. She sucks and she’s no match for Mary Louise. I hope she has a Ring doorbell cam that recorded Jane screaming about shooting people, and banging on her front door like a maniac.

And stupid Gordon should have prioritized paying off the French nanny over letting Renata pay for that ridiculous party. She deserved that drubbing in bankruptcy court. Pay your fucking nanny, you utter cunt. I don’t understand why rich people always want to shaft the people who take care of their children for them.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 1:56 AM

When is Corey going to get naked? He seems like a sweet bottom to me.

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 1:57 AM

I wish Robin Weigert had been called to the stand to discuss the current research on spousal abuse with the judge, and all the while both of them completely ignoring the attorneys. Wouldn't you watch an hour of just that?

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 1:58 AM

^^ I hope Mary Louise caught Jane’s tantrum at her front door.

And Madeline has a bad habit of snapping at people and then making these abject apologies. How about not doing it in the first place? Half her dialogue is apologies.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 1:58 AM

[quote]Half her dialogue is apologies.

Yup, it must be exhausting to be around people like that. And if they've done it five times, you can bet they're going to do it five hundred times more. Show me you've changed, don't try and convince me you've changed with yet another apology, because you're making me do half the work for you.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 2:04 AM

Why is Bonnie so damn guilty about pushing Perry??? He was about to kill someone! I get being in shock at first but it’s been what, a year and a half now and she’s still moping around and wanting to confess? There was no reason to lie in the first place but there’s even less reason for her to still feel any type of way about it.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 2:06 AM

Mary Louise is trending on Twitter; Meryl's done it again. And she barely spoke in this episode!

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 2:10 AM

I've never understood why they lied about what happened... if they had just told the truth, no one would have been in any trouble... does the book explain this better?

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 2:11 AM

People are already complaining about Celeste getting slutshamed in court and I kinda agree. That didn't sit right with me at all. And it's California, ffs, so why is this even being brought up in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 2:13 AM

[quote]"When I was happy, I stayed because I was happy. When I was depressed, I stayed because I was depressed."

This line about abusive relationships was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 2:15 AM

[quote]The Devil Wears Cardigans (2019)

I'm going to miss Jon Lovett fangurling over this show on his podcast every week. And his comment about Mary Louise was spot on - she is the Angel of fucking Death, going around and confronting people with their deepest insecurities. Her character really stands out for me in this pretty bland season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 2:20 AM

Celeste has the worst lawyer in history. Seems ridiculous that the opposing lawyer was allowed to accuse Celeste of murder- this isn't a criminal trial. And why on earth would Mary Louise not be expected to go on the stand if she is suing for custody???

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 2:21 AM

Gordon fucking the nanny was in the book. I was wondering if they were gonna use that in this season.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 2:22 AM

In the book, Bonnie was abused by her father, not her mother. WTF? Why did/ would they have changed that? It just makes no sense this way.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 2:23 AM

[quote]Seems ridiculous that the opposing lawyer was allowed to accuse Celeste of murder- this isn't a criminal trial.

I know, and the judge didn't say a thing. The detective and Mary Louise looking at the TV earlier in the episode was high camp and I LOVED it! I'm willing to suspend even more of my disbelief next episode when Meryl testifies, if it means we get more explosive drama that way.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 2:28 AM

r39 Abusive mothers makes for a better parallel this season.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 2:28 AM

R41 Then shouldn't Bonnie have pushed Madeline?

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 2:30 AM

I think Dern just won her Emmy for that scene in the car with Gordon tonight

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 2:32 AM

Madeline is overbearing, not abusive.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 2:32 AM

[quote]I've never understood why they lied about what happened... if they had just told the truth, no one would have been in any trouble... does the book explain this better?

IIRC, in season 1 Bonnie, Renata, Celeste, and Jane wanted to tell the real story, but Madeline said that Perry fell.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2019 2:32 AM

R39 How does it make no sense this way? Bonnie was having a primal response to the nature of abuse, not necessarily the gender inflicting it. And honestly, Zoe showed up for that moment. I thought she delivered that 10 Things I Hate About You speech surprisingly well.

Also, gotta admit, we've had a shaky season so far, but those courtroom scenes were fucking potent. It was really uncomfortable to sit though, so the drama was definitely landing for me. I like how Celeste suddenly remembered that she was a lawyer in the last bit of the episode when it's all we've been complaining about for a while.

I'm curious about the young Mary Louise actress being in the cast list for multiple episodes... I wonder if we were meant to see more flashbacks throughout the season but they ended up on the cutting room floor along with the ice cream toss. Sometimes IMDb gets credits wrong though, so it's possible she's only in the finale... which should hopefully dismantle Mary Louise. Who knows, perhaps we'll finally see the last dimension of Meryl's performance. I hope she knocks it out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2019 2:33 AM

Yes, they were all distraught in the moment and then Madeline overpowered them all and said they needed to go with the lie.

by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2019 2:33 AM

[quote]I like how Celeste suddenly remembered that she was a lawyer in the last bit of the episode when it's all we've been complaining about for a while.

I enjoyed that as well. I especially loved her addressing the judge directly. That's not something I've ever seen on The Good Wife. Granted, there weren't any custody hearings on that show...

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 2:36 AM

[quote]And honestly, Zoe showed up for that moment. I thought she delivered that 10 Things I Hate About You speech surprisingly well.

I agree. That was probably her best moment of acting on this show. I really found the speech to be very sad because I know a few people who had abusive parents.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 2:38 AM

Interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 2:40 AM

r45

I do remember that but they have never explained why though

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 2:40 AM

R51 I can't completely recall, but in the book it had to do with Bonnie's history of abuse with her dad, (changed to her mom in tonight's episode). It might have involved a legal issue and previous charges. I don't think in the book it was Madeline's idea to lie. But I could be mistaken.

Anyone who read the book please pipe in.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 2:47 AM

Celeste knows much more about Mary Louise than she's willing to let on at this point, probably from Perry. There's something about the other dead son that's going to come out, my guess.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2019 2:51 AM

Yeah, that's the last thread to be unraveled.

Anyone else think the drama between Madeline and Ned has completely deflated? They've given Reese some pretty embarrassing material these past two episodes, but she's acting her way through it. With one episode left, everything involving the jilted wife just feels so ephemeral... they should have started weaving that thread much earlier if they wanted it to resonate.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 2:57 AM

Dennis O’Hare recap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2019 3:05 AM

Oops didn’t see someone else already posted that. Good read. Streep is the best. Her shutting the door on Jane - haven’t we all been there? And I look forward to to the finale, but not in a million years would a mom in a custody battle cross-examine her mother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2019 3:09 AM

I always wondered if there was going to be racial factor in why they all lied about Perry's death. Maybe, the white women thought Bonnie wouldn't be treated fairly by the cops and prosecutors. I know that probably sounds dumb, but I recall some case where a black woman went to prison for firing warning shots in a self defense situation.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2019 3:09 AM

Agree the Madeleine story has run out of steam. It would have been better if her husband told her the wife of her lover came on to him.

And not to be mean, but agree Bonnie needs to kill her mother for our sake as viewers.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2019 3:25 AM

If their decision to lie was racial then that's up to the viewer's inference, since the only moment race has been mentioned in this entire show came from Bonnie's mother.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2019 3:26 AM

R34, because if she brings strange men home and she’s whacked out on Ambien, the men can take advantage of that and do god knows what. If she’s fucking them in a public bathroom, I don’t think it’s a problem. But Mary-Louise’s lawyer had a point about them being in her home with the boys around. That’s not safe behavior.

And how did that middle-aged ducklipped Frau pull such gorgeous trade? I was envious.

by Anonymousreply 60July 15, 2019 3:31 AM

I don't see the issue, your honor. My client was just gettin' that Vitamin D, if you know what I'm saying.

by Anonymousreply 61July 15, 2019 3:38 AM

Ugh... wet blanket... whatever, move on.

by Anonymousreply 62July 15, 2019 3:38 AM

So, how was Nicole's accent this time?

by Anonymousreply 63July 15, 2019 4:25 AM

R52 - In the book it's Renata who says that he slipped, which was off of a rainy balcony where the rail was too low vs. stairs. In the book Bonnie's dad was the abuser, she herself was not abused, but watched all the abuse of her mom. She turns herself in and gets community service. Gordon fucks the nanny and Harper from season 1's husband. Renata moves to London.

by Anonymousreply 64July 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Laura Dern In the car was everything.

by Anonymousreply 65July 15, 2019 4:56 AM

Nicole has mastered the art of acting with Botox. Her character got laid a lot for a 52 year old woman. Poor Renata. Always kicked in the kitty.

by Anonymousreply 66July 15, 2019 5:12 AM

Damn, next week is the finale? This season flew by. I hope the finale is at least more than 45 minutes.

I don't know what a season 3 could possibly be, but I would watch it.

by Anonymousreply 67July 15, 2019 5:37 AM

Any theories on who the star witness will be? I'm guessing it's someone we haven't met yet.

by Anonymousreply 68July 15, 2019 6:10 AM

Joan Collins or Judith Light.

by Anonymousreply 69July 15, 2019 9:44 AM

Soooo boring. There never should have been a Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 70July 15, 2019 11:16 AM

I have no clue what's going on with Ed's arc or how/if they'll resolve that in the finale. One minute, he's thinking about possibly fucking the fake tits off that woman, the next he's in the living room and Madeline is apologizing again... for something. So bizarre.

I want to see him naked already. And why hasn't there been any nudity this season?!

by Anonymousreply 71July 15, 2019 11:31 AM

Upon reflection, this has all been pretty shite. Celeste's character doesn't make any sense - as evidenced by her own testimony on the stand. Kidman has been left with embarrassing scraps to play. They've all just been rehashing S1 over and over, it's so boring. Initially it was entertaining to see Dern, Witherspoon and, yes, Meryl, assert their characters but in service to what? This is some pretty thin gruel compared to S1 and it seems unlikely that the last 45 minutes is somehow going to wrap it all up in a satisfying way. It will be incredibly high camp but not credible drama.

But what do I know? I think Gordon is sexy.

by Anonymousreply 72July 15, 2019 11:39 AM

The only good thing about this episode is James Tupper seeing Psycho Ed talking to Fake Tits.

by Anonymousreply 73July 15, 2019 11:45 AM

[quote]Upon reflection, this has all been pretty shite

You don’t say...

by Anonymousreply 74July 15, 2019 11:48 AM

I think Gordon is the sexiest husband. Ed is such a nerd. Bonnie was about to say she married a man she never loved. This season was just an excuse for Meryl to chew the scenery. That bewigged frau Celeste picked up some hot dick though!

by Anonymousreply 75July 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Dern was amazing in that car scene

by Anonymousreply 76July 15, 2019 12:29 PM

R75, that was the most utterly shocking part of the whole thing: the hot young male models who were banging nasty Celeste.

Almost as shocking as Nicole Kidman’s platypus lips. Holy shit.

by Anonymousreply 77July 15, 2019 12:29 PM

Why would that be shocking?

Straight men will fuck anything. How many stories have we heard of a hot guy cheating on his hot wife with... anything w a vagina.

Also, Nicole is very pretty and seems defenseless but is a freak in bed. What straight men doesn’t love all those things?

Yeah, next episode we learn the truth about the dead younger brother and what Mary Louises role in that situation was....

by Anonymousreply 78July 15, 2019 12:35 PM

R78, you make good points. BUT are there that many hot young studs in Monterey that didn’t have better options that night? Whatever. I’m envying a fictional character.

by Anonymousreply 79July 15, 2019 1:31 PM

Laura Dern has a major emotional breakdown in every episode. She’s exhausting. No wonder her husband was banging the mellow nanny.

by Anonymousreply 80July 15, 2019 1:33 PM

I can't believe Renata is still with her husband, after everything he's put her through. I know she has limited options at her age and in the current situation with the bankruptcy, but still... In a way, she's even more pathetic than Ed.

by Anonymousreply 81July 15, 2019 1:34 PM

Does anyone know who was singing that "Running Up That Hill" cover in the bar when Ed was talking to Fake Tits?

by Anonymousreply 82July 15, 2019 2:03 PM

Kravitz finally justified her casting with the hospital scene. That was heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 83July 15, 2019 2:32 PM

Was it ever mentioned that Celeste is supposed to be American? I figured they don’t care about her accent since the book is set in Australia and maybe that’s where she’s originally from.

by Anonymousreply 84July 15, 2019 3:17 PM

R81 Limited options? Not the way same age Celeste is getting it, it's Cougar town and all the boys are out making conquests.

by Anonymousreply 85July 15, 2019 3:17 PM

This season they went for something new and it worked. Ratings are higher and it’s the hit of the summer.

by Anonymousreply 86July 15, 2019 3:20 PM

r85 I meant limited options for getting someone of her own status for a stable relationship, and one who also could be a father figure to Amabella. Of course she could get random (young) dick if she wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 87July 15, 2019 3:21 PM

I suspect that Kidman's accent in the previous episode is connected to all the stories about Andrea Arnold, the editing, etc. Too many cooks..... In any other production, that would never have gone by unnoticed. Kidman was probably directed to do the scene as best she could, and not worry about the accent because they would correct it with dubbing later. (standard post-production).

Perhaps Kidman got pissed and that had to do with the story getting out, (or those scenes were deliberately used as payback of some kind).

by Anonymousreply 88July 15, 2019 3:23 PM

Zoe had mixed results with that monologue, but the line about how she married (I’m paraphrasing) someone she didn’t... got a gasp out of our household.

I’m a bit annoyed Kelley wasn’t steered away from turning this show into a courtroom drama. I mean, really? You have THESE actors and you’ve spent 50% of the characters’ time this season in courtrooms and with lawyers? Come on. Hopefully, there will be a real showdown with Kidman and Streep next week, otherwise...

by Anonymousreply 89July 15, 2019 3:29 PM

Law & Order: Monterey

by Anonymousreply 90July 15, 2019 3:31 PM

Monterrey Legal.

by Anonymousreply 91July 15, 2019 3:33 PM

It would be difficult to do ADR on Kidman's emotional scene with the camera directly on her face. It could be done but a lot of the affect in her voice would be lost. And it would be degrading to call this great actress and tell her she needs to redub this big dramatic scene because her accent came out really strongly, despite having a vocal coach. You're basically implying she was unprofessional. I don't know, I wouldn't like to be the one making that call so I can see why they stuck with the original version.

by Anonymousreply 92July 15, 2019 3:34 PM

Nicole would have been an Emmy contender again except for the Australian accent slipping out. Not sure why no one caught that since they did do reshoots.

I do expect Meryl to be nominated and win in supporting. She nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 93July 15, 2019 3:34 PM

Nah, Dern has got supporting locked up.

by Anonymousreply 94July 15, 2019 3:36 PM

Maybe in comedy but no.

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2019 3:38 PM

[quote]Nicole would have been an Emmy contender again except for the Australian accent slipping out.

I think she justified a nomination for that courtroom scene. She navigated that difficult emotional terrain quite well.

[quote]Nah, Dern has got supporting locked up.

Possibly, but I don't know that they'll consider giving Dern another win when they have the option of Meryl on the ballot, and I say that as someone who's not in love with what she's doing... or rather I'm not in love with the conception of that character.

by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2019 3:44 PM

They all deserve a nom. Top four. Reese, Laura, Meryl, Nicole

Amazing job. I was disappointed in Nicole until the last 5 minutes last night. She found her spine, remembered she is intelligent - and it showed.

I'm Guessing this is what will be the message of the show. Women need to not give up their own personal power to loser men - in order to be married or in a relationship. They need to keep their own personal persona and find a strong man who actually likes that. If not, stay single.

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2019 3:53 PM

I feel not a jot of empathy or sympathy or WTF ever for anyone in this damned story. None. it's ridiculous and IMo scary that there might actually be people like this out there. Ugh. Thank you, R72 for your excellent summation.

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2019 3:59 PM

Post Script: Renata is ridiculous. Actually the most ridiculous.Is this what the writers think a high powered self made businesswoman acts like? Shit IFI were her husbandI'd have pushed her ass down those fucking stairs.

by Anonymousreply 99July 15, 2019 4:00 PM

If you don’t like it, leave. No one will miss you. My thanks to Meryl for playing me so well.

by Anonymousreply 100July 15, 2019 4:03 PM

Well, R100, it's kind of like watching a slow rolling train wreck. It's so bad it's fun.

by Anonymousreply 101July 15, 2019 4:09 PM

I don't think Kidman is an Emmy contender for this season. She won for the first season because of her chemistry with Skaarsgard and the complications of their relationship. She hasn't had much to do in this season, at least consistently. She mostly seems lost, like she's annoyed the pages she was promised from Kelley never turned up and they have to film anyway.

by Anonymousreply 102July 15, 2019 4:23 PM

All they have to do is submit the proper episode for a high profile actor and the Emmys will go for it. They're really not that picky.

by Anonymousreply 103July 15, 2019 4:50 PM

There’s no way that Laura Dern would listen to Jimmy Ruffin. Type A geniuses like her often lack in personality and she when it comes to entertainment. She would listen to Taylor Swift, Pink and Michael Buble.

And Reese’s character would liken to Metallica and Pantera.

by Anonymousreply 104July 15, 2019 5:01 PM

Reese isn't acting so no Emmy nom for her. Come on. We all know that Meryl is the Emmy contender for this season. Maybe they'll nominate one of the kids. Ziggy is cute.

by Anonymousreply 105July 15, 2019 5:17 PM

Delusion, by Renata Klein.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106July 15, 2019 5:30 PM

[quote]Maybe they'll nominate one of the kids.

Fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 107July 15, 2019 5:33 PM

The judge was played by Becky Ann Baker, who was Hannah's mother in "Girls". She was one of the few bright lights on that show, especially in the episodes about Hannah's dad, Peter Scolari, coming out of the closet (finally).

by Anonymousreply 108July 15, 2019 5:35 PM

[quote]Maybe they'll nominate one of the kids. Ziggy is cute.

He's cute but his performance is way more studied than last season. One more season and his over-enunciation is going to start pissing me off. Adam Scott was talking about this on a podcast this week, saying how child actors are tricky because you don't want them to come across as too amateurish, but also not like they've studied those couple of lines in their hotel room all night. Ziggy is definitely starting to veer into the latter category, even while the actor is a theatre queen. Or maybe because of it.

by Anonymousreply 109July 15, 2019 5:36 PM

r108 Yup, loved whenever she popped up in Girls, and I love her in this.

by Anonymousreply 110July 15, 2019 5:37 PM

I don't know why Zoe Kravitz has been getting so much flak here. She was given the least showy role: someone damaged, who mostly keeps to herself, without big emotional outbursts or grandstanding monologues. I'm really liking her performance as we are finding out the backstory of her character. That scene in her mother's hospital room was particularly good.

by Anonymousreply 111July 15, 2019 5:40 PM

Agreed about Zoe. She’s going to end up with a supporting nomination.

by Anonymousreply 112July 15, 2019 7:41 PM

Zoe gets on my nerves only a little less than Reese and Laura Dern. She has three settings : she walks around moping; she glowers, she looks worried and preoccupied. Not a whole lot of range.

by Anonymousreply 113July 15, 2019 8:00 PM

No one connected with this show should be nominated for awards. The writing, what little there is of it, is terrible. Typical David E. Kelley fare--starts off reasonably well and then goes steadily downhill.

by Anonymousreply 114July 15, 2019 9:01 PM

HBO is amazing at adapting books but they are horrible when they don’t have any material to follow up on.

by Anonymousreply 115July 15, 2019 9:08 PM

^^^ I agree, not much of an award worthy season, and makes you in fact question the abilities in the first.

by Anonymousreply 116July 15, 2019 9:09 PM

Blame Meryl!

by Anonymousreply 117July 15, 2019 10:05 PM

Um no, R95. She’ll win in the same category. Drama. Again.

by Anonymousreply 118July 15, 2019 10:32 PM

Jeffrey Nordling doesn't have a huge amount of range as an actor. He seems to fit into roles where he's a cheating, about to be divorced dad with financial shenanigans. If anyone remembers "Once and Again", he was Sela Ward's ex-husband on that. I'd still do him though; he's hunky and has a great voice.

The Adam Scott character, meh. So wimpy and whiny. James Tupper is cute-ish but not too exciting. Jane newish beau is so dull. And Nicole's husband's dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 119July 15, 2019 11:17 PM

This will get nominations just so stars show up. It’s show business and has always been that way.

by Anonymousreply 120July 16, 2019 12:18 AM

Will we see Mary Louise burned at the stake?

by Anonymousreply 121July 16, 2019 12:25 AM

R121, use my lighter!

by Anonymousreply 122July 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Why on earth would Laura Dern win over Meryl or Shailene? She has had some comic moments but has been generally OTT.

And G wishes she was on this show. In her dreams.

by Anonymousreply 123July 16, 2019 12:59 AM

Laura has got this in the bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124July 16, 2019 1:01 AM

Laura, Shailene and Zoe are co-leads even though they won’t be campaigned as such.

by Anonymousreply 125July 16, 2019 1:05 AM

I don’t know why Celeste didn’t defend herself re: her sexploits. She has needs to be met and she is single.

by Anonymousreply 126July 16, 2019 1:06 AM

It was Placebo, R82.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127July 16, 2019 1:10 AM

The sex is the least of her problems. She is a drug addict, crashed her car, and hits people. Is that a good mother? Even at the end she was hung over.

by Anonymousreply 128July 16, 2019 1:11 AM

i think Nicole, Reese and Laura should be in the lead category - they have the bigger story arcs. Meryl should be winning the BSA.

by Anonymousreply 129July 16, 2019 1:16 AM

Agree. And I’m pretty sure it’s a law in California that you have to vote for Meryl if her name is on the ballot. She is the only reason this season is getting so much attention.

by Anonymousreply 130July 16, 2019 1:20 AM

[quote]Dern was amazing in that car scene

Yes, that old beater car they were in that the guy in the hearing said book value was $2,200 but he could probably get $3K. Great detail there.

by Anonymousreply 131July 16, 2019 1:55 AM

Y'all realize you're arguing over potential 2020 Emmy nominations, right? The show premiered too late to qualify for the 2019 Emmys.

by Anonymousreply 132July 16, 2019 5:03 AM

I don't think there'll be Emmy love for this season like the first. And we're just at the start of Emmy Season, (for 2020, when this is eligible). I suspect BLL will be forgotten by the time next year's ballots go out. Meryl will be nominated. Maybe one or two of the others. But this season won't have the lasting effect the first season had.

I predict even DL will forget about it.

by Anonymousreply 133July 16, 2019 5:56 AM

This really is a B Movie level woman's picture of the late 50's early 60's. It's QUITE shitty but lots of fun little throwaways. Streep and Dern have the only interesting characters. Poor Renata, I didn't see the nanny fucking coming and its not so horrible except for the TIMING of the reveal is so miserably human and cruel. Couples really do destroy each other in terrible, tawdry ways. Mary Louise is a COOOOOLD BITCH, Grade A.

by Anonymousreply 134July 16, 2019 6:12 AM

Celeste played this oddly. Mary Louise should have been coopted as cheap labour. Celeste should be going back to work - lob the kids onto grandma the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 135July 16, 2019 6:19 AM

Kidman's accent was all over the place again in this episode. I just don't get it.

She must have been told to do it or else she's had a stroke and forgotten how to do an American accent. Her accent used to be flawless. Is it a very unhappy set perhaps and she just can't be bothered?

by Anonymousreply 136July 16, 2019 6:26 AM

KATE BUSH R127

by Anonymousreply 137July 16, 2019 6:35 AM

Mary Louise’s Power Point presentation seemed far-fetched. If I was the judge I’d be thinking it was a little odd...It seems entrapmenty or something I can’t put my finger on. Like what did they do, interview the men? What evidence did they really have, like sex tapes or something?! I would NOT have admitted to sex in a stall, let alone rough sex!!! They were bluffing, and she went along with it!!! What if she said she didn’t recognize them? What would they say? How could they prove anything? And what would they be proving? It had this Scooby-Doo contrived quality (that filmstrip of the men on the street!) that was laughably weak.

by Anonymousreply 138July 16, 2019 7:00 AM

I think, ultimately, the trial wasn't for the judge, but for the audience.

by Anonymousreply 139July 16, 2019 7:18 AM

I thought Kidman’s accent was fine in the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 140July 16, 2019 7:40 AM

Laura Dern was also OTT in Enlightened. Very entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 141July 16, 2019 7:59 AM

hate that show, buncha bitches whining and gripin….specially that icky reese. ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 142July 16, 2019 8:08 AM

The only thing good about this boring mellow drama, or whatever you want to call it is Renata. I'm not getting all the hype about this show. It's not very good. How can nicole Kidman even act if her face won't move...

by Anonymousreply 143July 16, 2019 8:26 AM

I think Reese is the weak link and her face is looking rough in the closeups

by Anonymousreply 144July 16, 2019 8:51 AM

What is Renata’s line of business?

by Anonymousreply 145July 16, 2019 8:54 AM

Nicole's face during the courtroom hearings looked weirdly stretched and static. Sad

by Anonymousreply 146July 16, 2019 10:46 AM

Why would one even want those two little serial killer sociopaths in training? Just pawn them off on the equally sociopathic grandma.

by Anonymousreply 147July 16, 2019 10:51 AM

r147

I thought the same thing. Why didn't the judge ask Celeste if the kids are in therapy?

by Anonymousreply 148July 16, 2019 11:18 AM

Didn't the judge say something about talking to a child therapist? Could be misremembering...

by Anonymousreply 149July 16, 2019 11:39 AM

The judge said:

[quote]As I said, I find the psychiatric reports and the custody evals a bit of a wash, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of what we're dealing with here.

I'm not quite sure what she meant by that.

by Anonymousreply 150July 16, 2019 12:24 PM

The far-fetched courtroom antics were very Ally McBeal.

by Anonymousreply 151July 16, 2019 12:30 PM

Interesting perspective on the episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152July 16, 2019 12:55 PM

The show will get lots of nods for the Golden Globes in January 2020, and then the Emmys follow in September 2020. I doubt it will be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 153July 16, 2019 3:25 PM

Did Nicole get a boob job?

by Anonymousreply 154July 16, 2019 5:21 PM

I noticed they were heaving in that sweater during the trial scene. I don't remember them being that big in Cold Mountain... just saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155July 16, 2019 5:55 PM

Kidman's upper lip and teeth have mobility problems.

by Anonymousreply 156July 16, 2019 6:47 PM

Kidman’s face looks terrible. So what if she doesn’t have wrinkles? She can’t move her fucking face. She has the same expression in every frame. And it’s a boring one.

by Anonymousreply 157July 16, 2019 6:57 PM

I’m Team Mary Louise. She’s an excellent villain.

by Anonymousreply 158July 16, 2019 6:58 PM

Not a drinker, but do alcohol bottles come with frosted glass? The bottle Celeste took out of the higher up cupboard looked like it came out of a freezer and not out of a cupboard. But then it would make Celeste look pretty pathetic to drink alcohol that's room temperature.

I was surprised that the gals didn't freak out when it was revealed that Marie Louise had her former daughter-in-law followed by a detective what must have been for months. Surely he also took some pics of them and their clandestine meetings?

I guess Renata isn't going to re-hire the nanny as promised? LOL.

For next week I fully expect Marie Lousie to scream Jack Nicholson's famous line "The Truth? You can't handle the truth!"-

by Anonymousreply 159July 16, 2019 7:18 PM

I was surprised Celeste didn't tell the judge that a big difference was that she wasn't keeping it all a secret anymore. When the judge (love that actress) asked what's different this time, I thought here we go, she's going to point to her friends who now know and keeping the abuse a secret was how the abuse could continue, but now it's all out in the open, and with the support of her friends--including Renata, who wasn't even liked--she's determined to heal and so on. I mean, it's true, and it doesn't tend to be a big part of the therapeutic process.

by Anonymousreply 160July 16, 2019 7:23 PM

I meant it *does* tend to be a big part of the therapeutic process

by Anonymousreply 161July 16, 2019 7:24 PM

[quote]Not a drinker, but do alcohol bottles come with frosted glass?

Yeah. Grey Goose does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162July 16, 2019 7:27 PM

R159, the vodka bottle that lush Celeste was chugging was either Grey Goose or Chopin, their bottles come with frosted glass.

by Anonymousreply 163July 16, 2019 7:28 PM

It was absolutely Chopin. And you all may glower at me if you feel the need.

by Anonymousreply 164July 16, 2019 7:40 PM

Celeste might be a total drunk, but she's not a cheap one.

by Anonymousreply 165July 16, 2019 7:55 PM

Where is Celeste getting her income from now that Perry, the working spouse, is dead? Did she file a big wrongful death lawsuit for the treacherous stairway against the city, or did she wisely conclude that it would shine to much light on their flimsy excuse? Shouldn't she be downsizing and moving to the Monterey ghetto along with Renata? Who is paying the high priced ineffectual lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 166July 16, 2019 8:38 PM

r166 I think Perry had a life insurance. Celeste mentioned giving payments to Shailene or to her kid.

by Anonymousreply 167July 16, 2019 8:41 PM

*Of course, that probably wouldn't be enough to cover all of the expense, so I see your point.

by Anonymousreply 168July 16, 2019 8:41 PM

Unless Perry had a million dollar insurance policy, not sure how the mortgage payments are being covered. Most insurance policy’s are around $1ook?

Nicole does act now with a frozen face - this includes blinking, sighs, turning her head and other tricks.

by Anonymousreply 169July 17, 2019 1:18 AM

Unless Perry had a million dollar insurance policy, not sure how the mortgage payments are being covered. Most insurance policy’s are around $1ook?

Nicole does act now with a frozen face - this includes blinking, sighs, turning her head and other tricks.

by Anonymousreply 170July 17, 2019 1:18 AM

Emmy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171July 17, 2019 4:01 AM

The finale starts with the discovery that Perry's body is missing.

by Anonymousreply 172July 17, 2019 4:22 AM

They are already packaging Season 3. It will focus on healing and growth, including Mary Louise who will undergo a complete transformation.

by Anonymousreply 173July 17, 2019 4:23 AM

[quote]The finale starts with the discovery that Perry's body is missing.

Hahahah, from the grave? Did Mary Louise dig him up?

by Anonymousreply 174July 17, 2019 4:26 AM

I seem to remember Nicole's boobs suddenly seeming ginormous in the first Paddington movie, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 175July 17, 2019 4:33 AM

[quote] Unless Perry had a million dollar insurance policy, not sure how the mortgage payments are being covered. Most insurance policy’s are around $1ook?

Lol, most life insurance policies are most certainly NOT 100k, and certainly not for rich people with a husband and wife pulling in millions a year. He had a multi million dollar policy. Middle class people wouldn’t make it on a million dollar policy. 100k is literally nothing. That will barely cover funeral and final expenses.

by Anonymousreply 176July 17, 2019 2:11 PM

Celeste and Perry might have also have had a policy that paid off their mortgage in the event of one or both of their deaths. Celeste is doing fine financially.

by Anonymousreply 177July 17, 2019 2:44 PM

Celeste spends her money on male escorts.

by Anonymousreply 178July 17, 2019 3:29 PM

^^^ In her Ambien haze.

by Anonymousreply 179July 17, 2019 3:36 PM

Nicole's frozen face makes her come off as uncaring and aloof and therefore she doesn't evoke much sympathy. She comes across a little "not right in the head." I think with a little more emotion and hurt coming through, her character would have been more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 180July 17, 2019 3:48 PM

She does most of her acting work with her eyes and moving her head, which is more than enough to convey emotion. Most actors never manage to engage their eyes, which bothers me more than a frozen forehead that's hidden behind massive bangs.

by Anonymousreply 181July 17, 2019 3:52 PM

BAM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182July 17, 2019 4:01 PM

Have any of these ladies done press for the show? Laura's the only one I've seen....

by Anonymousreply 183July 17, 2019 4:04 PM

Has it been brought up in this thread that Nicole Kidman was with Zoe Kravitz’s father?

by Anonymousreply 184July 17, 2019 5:41 PM

There was speculation that she wouldn't attend to Zoe's wedding but Nicole was there. I guess the break-up with Lenny wasn't awful?

by Anonymousreply 185July 17, 2019 5:47 PM

r184 Someone mentioned It a couple of threads ago. They don't really share that many scenes anyway.

by Anonymousreply 186July 17, 2019 5:49 PM

Hahah... I didn't know that! That's hilarious.

Speaking of Zoe's wedding, do you think she slid into her husband's DMs after watching his big old dick in Gaspar Noe's Love?

by Anonymousreply 187July 17, 2019 6:03 PM

Zoe discussed it last season on one of her talk show appearances. Basically she said Nicole was like a mother figure, they got to know each other well, and the breakup was not contentious.

by Anonymousreply 188July 17, 2019 6:29 PM

All of the cast have done individual promotion except Streep or Kravitz (and if they did individual promotion I missed it). With Streep, they wanted to keep Mary Louise a mystery for audiences.

by Anonymousreply 189July 18, 2019 2:01 AM

This season has been uneven at times and the show definitely become more of a soap opera, but at this point I am fully invested in these women, and whereas last season I did not want a season two, now I will be devastated if there is not a season three.

by Anonymousreply 190July 18, 2019 3:40 AM

Agree. They should do a third where there is no murder investigation but all the women have to face the music about their relationships and/or what they actually want to do with their lives. I also think it would be fascinating for Mary Louise to stick around and learn to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 191July 18, 2019 4:49 AM

You really want a full season of Mary Louise discovering her authentic self (and a better haircut) for the first time in her life? That sounds... well actually, that does sound kinda amazing. Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 192July 18, 2019 12:45 PM

There could be a series about the past, ML's fucked up family life raising future psycho Perry and whatever happened to that brother.

by Anonymousreply 193July 18, 2019 12:58 PM

Nothing better than running shows into the ground, eh? It's the American way.

by Anonymousreply 194July 18, 2019 12:58 PM

R194, that’s right.

I hope that detective busts all of their asses when Bonnie goes in to confess.

by Anonymousreply 195July 18, 2019 1:40 PM

Sorry but as a gay man I require frau series with shiny fabrics, bitchy rivalries, cat fights and stunt women.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196July 18, 2019 1:43 PM

No depth, just endless catfights...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197July 18, 2019 1:48 PM

There's no depth on Big Little Lies. So they might as well throw in some cat fights. Renata is the only one who brings fashion.

There is some black comedy. Madeline has a fair amount of low key comedy and I think that's why sardonic Adam Scott was cast opposite her.

by Anonymousreply 198July 18, 2019 1:53 PM

Oooh, bitch, just you wait for the finale. Meryl is going to redefine what DEPTH means to your brain!

by Anonymousreply 199July 18, 2019 1:56 PM

Meryl's character hasn't shown any depth so far, just delicious, clever bitchery and cuntitude.

by Anonymousreply 200July 18, 2019 1:59 PM

Mary Louise is a plot device manifest. She's a personified, collective conscience. Not a character.

There was depth in the first season. This season? Ehh....

by Anonymousreply 201July 18, 2019 2:31 PM

r200 That's why the finale is going to be such a religious experience when that dam finally breaks...

by Anonymousreply 202July 18, 2019 2:41 PM

That's what they said about Game Of Thrones, r202.

by Anonymousreply 203July 18, 2019 2:53 PM

Was Meryl in Game of Thrones, though?

by Anonymousreply 204July 18, 2019 2:58 PM

Meryl was that last dragon who had a brief snit fit when the Dragon Queen died then shrugged it's shoulders and flew away.

by Anonymousreply 205July 18, 2019 3:07 PM

I wouldn't be surprised because that - along with the burning of the throne - was the best part of the finale. Meryl brings it to us every time.

by Anonymousreply 206July 18, 2019 3:14 PM

What about a spin-off where Mary Louise raises the violent twins and discovers they have mutant powers? Sarah Paulson joins her as her neurotic younger lover Pam from San Francisco, and Ezra Miller joins the cast as her third undisclosed son who also has mutant powers.

by Anonymousreply 207July 18, 2019 3:18 PM

The only satisfying end of the season would be if the gals kidnap Marie Lousie and take turns slapping her. Of course Meryl would get her gazillionst Emmy for being slapped so viciously for what feels like an eternity.

by Anonymousreply 208July 18, 2019 3:57 PM

Sorry, gazillionth Emmy

by Anonymousreply 209July 18, 2019 4:01 PM

Hahah, like that scene in Death Proof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 18, 2019 4:02 PM

The courtroom scenes were not that far-fetched (other than the audience). Child custody cases are more freewheeling than other cases because the standard is flexible (in most states, the judge decides what’s in the “best interest of the child” so they want to see absolutely all possible evidence). There’s no jury to worry about prejudicing, and judges usually think “I’m too smart/sophisticated to be biased” by evidence like the slut-shaming, so they figure why not let it on. When she said the reports were a wash, she meant they don’t weigh strongly for either side.

Love Becky Ann Baker.

by Anonymousreply 211July 18, 2019 4:40 PM

r211 Thanks, that was very informative.

by Anonymousreply 212July 18, 2019 4:44 PM

R212 and to clarify - some judges would absolutely have sustained more of the objections than Becky Ann Baker did. Some judges would have yelled at Meryl’s lawyer for slinging shit. Some judges would have slut-shamed Nicole even more. Etc. I got the sense from Becky Ann Baker that inside her head she was rolling her eyes at Meryl’s counsel and would have given Nicole custody (usually if the hearing ends in a draw, custody goes to the parent, because most states presume that being with a parent is what’s typically in the best interest of the child). What I find unrealistic about the child custody case here is how Meryl is portrayed as having an even chance of winning. In real life there has to be an extreme reason why a judge would take kids away from their mother to give to a grandparent, much more than “she sleeps around with harmless guys” or “she got in one fender bender on Ambien without the kids in the car.” Even less chance when the mother is a rich white woman.

by Anonymousreply 213July 18, 2019 4:57 PM

As a TV exect I would never, ever greenlight a second season of a show that's based on a book and all the source material was used up for the first season. The author of the original source is not used to churn out some bestselling novel within a few weeks for it to be ready to be used as the source for the next season. Just look at Game of Thrones and they had several books already released but the author wasn't able to catch up with the TV show's schedule and write an ending for his novel series for it to be ready to be used for the show.

With HBO it happened with True Detectives and now Big Little Lies.

The other problem is that showrunners usually have their own ideas of which direction they want to go with the source material and the original author doesn't agree, but without proper source material and time pressure the showrunner usually wins and the author is overwhelmed by it all. And the fans of the original source material know when the direction of a show changes and it doesn't feel organic and it comes off like a bad fan fiction (of the source material).

by Anonymousreply 214July 19, 2019 12:00 AM

Is the author going to pen a novelization of Season 2? That would (have) be(en) smart.

Will there be a season 3? That means some thing are going to be dragged out or left as cliffhangers.

Also, if Celeste were not a rich white lady, she'd already be in jail and her kids would be already abused in foster care.

by Anonymousreply 215July 19, 2019 12:27 AM

It only makes sense here because the Monterey Five have notoriety in the press. You have a tragic death followed by claims that one of the mothers is unfit. Plus Mary Louse has deep pockets to go after her daughter in law. Family court in wealthy communities is unusual.

by Anonymousreply 216July 19, 2019 12:55 AM

Plus Celeste hits people including her children, plus her children themselves are violent. That’s enough grounds.

by Anonymousreply 217July 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Wasn't the original writer involved in writing the plot for S2, along with David E. Kelley?

by Anonymousreply 218July 19, 2019 1:55 AM

Yep.

by Anonymousreply 219July 19, 2019 1:59 AM

I wonder if they could legal record Bonnie’s bedside confession to her dying mother, or collect that journal as evidence?

by Anonymousreply 220July 19, 2019 2:00 AM

She could say it was lyrics for a song.

by Anonymousreply 221July 19, 2019 2:19 AM

The pitch with Mary Louise, the twins, Sarah Paulson and Ezra Miller was well received today except they are not sure about the magic. It’s tentatively called The Merlin’s.

by Anonymousreply 222July 19, 2019 5:56 AM

[quote]You really want a full season of Mary Louise discovering her authentic self (and a better haircut) for the first time in her life? That sounds... well actually, that does sound kinda amazing. Sign me up!

r192 has very low self-esteem.

by Anonymousreply 223July 19, 2019 8:10 AM

Narc specialist covers Mary Louise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224July 19, 2019 8:48 AM

r223 Why would you say such a rude thing to a complete stranger? I'd watch that version because of all the acting possibilities and challenges it would open up.

by Anonymousreply 225July 19, 2019 10:20 AM

[quote]Why would you say such a rude thing to a complete stranger?

First day on DL?

by Anonymousreply 226July 19, 2019 10:33 AM

I voted for contagion empath.

by Anonymousreply 227July 19, 2019 2:32 PM

The Guardian has something to say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228July 19, 2019 2:35 PM

It's hard to believe Lisa Bonet's daughter would give such a mopey, low-key performance!

by Anonymousreply 229July 19, 2019 2:43 PM

[quote] And why on earth would Mary Louise not be expected to go on the stand if she is suing for custody???

Yeah, having established that Perry was a wife beater, why would the judge consider handing the kids over to the woman who raised him, without even questioning her fitness?

by Anonymousreply 230July 19, 2019 2:58 PM

Because the judge, in her one on one with Mary Louise, was beaten down by the briutal questioning that ML gave her, even though the judge was supposed to be questioning ML, not the other way around. The judge is scared of her, as well she should be!

by Anonymousreply 231July 19, 2019 3:05 PM

One of my favorite things last episode was how Mary Louise calculatedly and passive-aggressively apologized to Celeste profusely for putting her through the trial, rattling her before it even began.

by Anonymousreply 232July 19, 2019 3:07 PM

Although the writing has understandably not been good this second season due to the source material running out and Kelley turning it into a courtroom drama, I’m still enjoying it for what it is, most notably, powerhouse performers turning in awesome performances on soapy material.

by Anonymousreply 233July 19, 2019 4:19 PM

[quote]One of my favorite things last episode was how Mary Louise calculatedly and passive-aggressively apologized to Celeste profusely for putting her through the trial, rattling her before it even began.

You are easily pleased.

by Anonymousreply 234July 19, 2019 5:29 PM

I very much enjoy season two. Or maybe I just drink the Kool-Aid served by Meryl Streep with her fake teeth smile.

by Anonymousreply 235July 19, 2019 6:19 PM

Nobody told me there was going to be Kool-Aid!

by Anonymousreply 236July 19, 2019 6:36 PM

Mary Louise versus Miranda

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237July 20, 2019 1:26 AM

Let me try that again...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238July 20, 2019 1:46 AM

Mary Louise is perfect for a spin-off with the kids. Maybe all five women are behind bars and we don’t need to know.

by Anonymousreply 239July 20, 2019 3:38 AM

What are you trying to share, R237 R238? The "stuff" monologue in Spanish?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 20, 2019 4:31 AM

R240, it’s a dialogue between Mary Louise and Miranda Priestly. It can be viewed on this page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 20, 2019 6:50 AM

I spent way too much time scrolling through that IG. Fuck me.

by Anonymousreply 242July 20, 2019 7:10 AM

I read a spoiler. Uh huh.

by Anonymousreply 243July 20, 2019 8:31 PM

Thank you for not sharing the spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 244July 21, 2019 12:12 PM

But isn’t it certain that Mary Louise will get her comeuppance? And that the Monterey five (?) will live unhappily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 245July 21, 2019 2:19 PM

I have no idea how they'll end it because I can't tell who we're supposed to be rooting for. Doesn't Zoe seem to want to confess? Can you imagine her character keeping the secret beyond tonight's episode? She's fantasizing about confessing in every episode already. Laura Dern's husband should confess just to take one for the team.

by Anonymousreply 246July 21, 2019 2:49 PM

Next season, I want a backdoor pilot episode for the In Treatment reboot with Robin Weigert. Can you imagine just her and Meryl, excavating deep-rooted emotional crap for half an hour?

by Anonymousreply 247July 21, 2019 3:11 PM

I want a Renata Klein spin-off. Have her move into a shitty 1 bedroom apartment with the kid but without Gordon.

by Anonymousreply 248July 21, 2019 3:36 PM

r248 Throw in Marianne Williamson (as Marianne WIlliamson) as her friend and former roommate who's running for president!

by Anonymousreply 249July 21, 2019 3:39 PM

I want Mary Louise to end up frustrated and totally incapable of proving anything, so she packs up and moves back to where ever the fuck she came from. As she's leaving, she runs across one or more of the M-5 who basically let her know they did it or were in on it and there's not a damn thing she can do about it. Buh byeeeeeee!

by Anonymousreply 250July 21, 2019 4:24 PM

People Magazine: Speaking to News Corp Australia in a recent interview, Nicole Kidman said that she would “love” to continue working on the hit HBO show.

“I think we would love to do a season three because there is certainly ideas,” Kidman said, adding, “But we would not do it without all of the same people involved … even the kids.”

by Anonymousreply 251July 21, 2019 6:34 PM

Season 3 - the men of Monterey

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252July 21, 2019 6:56 PM

"we would not do it without all of the same people involved"

Shades of SATC3...

Who's going to be the hold out?

by Anonymousreply 253July 21, 2019 7:25 PM

Nicole, you were never my friend!

by Anonymousreply 254July 21, 2019 7:27 PM

Final episode!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255July 21, 2019 10:44 PM

nicole's earlobes ar ehuge...that's what I was thinking throughout this episode.

by Anonymousreply 256July 22, 2019 1:33 AM

I just cannot watch Nicole Kidman’s deformed face any longer.

by Anonymousreply 257July 22, 2019 2:39 AM

She is someone who should never have fucked with her face. I wonder why the hell she started?

But she left her earlobes as is.

by Anonymousreply 258July 23, 2019 4:25 PM

Nicole Kidman claimed, in a recent interview, that she's never had facial work done. "Needles scare me!"

So pathetic

by Anonymousreply 259July 23, 2019 4:29 PM

[quote] “I think we would love to do a season three because there is certainly ideas,”

Actually, they're now out of ideas

by Anonymousreply 260July 23, 2019 4:30 PM

[R259] She just ate right and stayed out of the sun to look perpetually 23!

by Anonymousreply 261July 23, 2019 4:36 PM

This might seem odd to say, but Nicole Kidman became more likable to me as a result of this series. Reese I never could stand her and IMO she just played herself. Zooey Kravitz was just awful. I wanted to slap her or shake her and scream, "Wake the fuck up!" you can tell Laura Dern had fun with Renata.

by Anonymousreply 262July 23, 2019 4:40 PM

Laura Dern is the GOAT of Big Little Lies.

by Anonymousreply 263July 23, 2019 4:49 PM

I didn't find Dern's acting particularly nuanced. Just lots of anger with no depth

by Anonymousreply 264July 23, 2019 5:00 PM

Watch Enlightened then.

by Anonymousreply 265July 23, 2019 5:02 PM

Nicole looks like one of those "advanced" sex doll robots. Her mouth barely moves when she talks and it's more of a chewing motion.

by Anonymousreply 266July 23, 2019 5:10 PM

^^ You bitches kill me sometimes. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 267July 23, 2019 5:12 PM

R266 she does look like some Uncanny Valley creature.

I suppose it’s okay that they gave her that preposterous wig and anachronistic clothing. She really looks like she fell out of some surreal indie movie from the 70s.

The bangs are puzzling. Perhaps it’s a West Coast thing, but the East Coast counterparts of these characters just don’t have bangs with long hair. I did an informal spell of people-watching on the UES yesterday, for about 45 minutes. I did not see one single woman with the Celeste or Jane hairdo. Women who had long hair didn’t have bangs. Women who had bangs wore their hair short.

by Anonymousreply 268July 23, 2019 6:42 PM

Long haired women with bangs are very common in LA, R268.

by Anonymousreply 269July 23, 2019 7:42 PM

Tension on the set of BLL-

(Poorna Jagannathan played Celeste's defense attorney)

[quote] The only whiff of tension Jagannathan reported from the set came from season two star Meryl Streep, who would push back on notes from her director. “Meryl wouldn’t entertain any comments that insinuated she was the villain,” Jagannathan explained. Streep wasn’t rude, but would protectively respond “that’s not of your business” when she got a note she disagreed with. That’s fine for a multiple Oscar winner—but Jagannathan jokes that she would be fired very quickly if she tried something similar.

by Anonymousreply 270July 23, 2019 8:44 PM

If I would have said, "It's none of your business," to a director's note from Howard Hawks, he would have punched me in the face.

Clicking must have its advantages.

by Anonymousreply 271July 23, 2019 8:46 PM

[quote]The bangs are puzzling. Perhaps it’s a West Coast thing, but the East Coast counterparts of these characters just don’t have bangs with long hair.

Who give a shit about the East Coast counterparts when the show is set in Monterey, California? And like r269 said, that's a very common hairstyle in L.A. Jenny Yang is someone I remember seeing with bangs and long hair just last week. And she looks fucking amazing. Most bangs - when done well - look great, long hair or not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272July 23, 2019 9:21 PM

R272, did I insult you in some way? I made an observation: I don’t ever ever see wealthy white mommies in NYC wearing the Jane/Celeste hair style. And I allowed that it probably is a regional style difference.

Are you upset that I asked the question? Or upset that I shared my observation?

Namaste, you crabby fuck...

by Anonymousreply 273July 24, 2019 1:33 AM

So M really is a cunt! That’s so satisfying to hear.

by Anonymousreply 274July 24, 2019 1:45 AM

Kidman's hairstyle seemed to be that of an older woman trying to look like a teen. Only really freaky types do bangs after age 35. At least in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 275July 24, 2019 1:49 AM

It's over. So, what are we all doing this Sunday?

by Anonymousreply 276July 24, 2019 4:12 AM

Watching Euphoria, lol.

by Anonymousreply 277July 24, 2019 4:22 AM

just cant watch it.

reese and Nicole and lara make me ill with fake vibes.

why they kill the one hot man???? he could have been redeemed dammit

by Anonymousreply 278July 24, 2019 1:46 PM

R275, lots of post-35 women get bangs in California. They cover forehead wrinkles and soften the look of any overly aggressive Botox treatments.

by Anonymousreply 279July 24, 2019 6:59 PM

R276 Watching Euphoria.

by Anonymousreply 280July 24, 2019 7:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!