Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My Frau Aunt Destroyed Vintage Family Photos to Make a Scrapbook.

So my mother's sister makes (rather shitty) scrapbooks. One day she asked my grandmother if she could borrow some pictures for one. My grandmother assumed my aunt would make copies and use them to make her scrapbook. When my aunt finally presents my grandmother with the scrapbook, my grandmother and I are horrified to find that she used the original vintage photographs to make the scrapbook. Black and white photos of my grandmother, her siblings and my great-grandparents and other family members were glued directly to colored construction paper pages. Several of the photos been (rather poorly) cut into different shapes. The original negatives are long gone (our entire family has a poor track record when it comes to saving and keeping track of them). And I can't just try to slowly and carefully peel out the uncut photos either. She used a very strong glue. I am so annoyed at her right now.

by Anonymousreply 60July 16, 2019 5:19 AM

take pics of them?

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2019 10:25 PM

Gasp!

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2019 10:29 PM

you will have to test this first to make sure it doesn't harm the photo. do it outside. use lighter fluid. squirt it on the edges to try and get it on the back and while lifting squirt it on the back keep..... away from flame... leave outside for fluid to evaporate. test first on one that you are not worried about losing. I know this works on stickers attached to a paper background

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2019 10:33 PM

There are different solvents to use depending on the glue used...acetone, Bestine (for rubber cement). Lift one edge and use a dampened q-tip between the photo and the paper to peel off.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2019 10:46 PM

Meanwhile, slap your aunt.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2019 10:47 PM

My mom and her homemaker friends had this thing for a very brief period of time in the late 70s with photos. One of them saw some TV show where a woman took the family photographs and cut the people out of them and made a collage of cutouts. The problem with that was there was no context to when you looked at the collage, all you saw was three-year-old Cindy and next to her cousin Lucy who was pasted in front of Tia Mary. So they all did it.

And like OP's story, the original photos were ruined and nobody had negatives.

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2019 10:48 PM

You need to borrow the scrapbook, detach all of the pages from the spine, scan them and then return it.

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2019 10:54 PM

It's the only way to remove the pictures. DO NOT USE SOLVENTS.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2019 10:55 PM

Er, preserve the images.

by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2019 10:55 PM

All old photos should be scanned into digital files. It's not hard or that expensive if you do it yourself, but sure it can be quite time-consuming. I've been meaning to do that for years for my family's old pics but when there are hundreds and hundreds of them the job seems too big to even start. So far I've digitized only the photos I've used in the photo albums I've made for my relatives.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2019 10:55 PM

[quote]use lighter fluid. squirt it on the edges to try and get it on the back and while lifting squirt it on the back keep

NO. NO. NO.

Detach pages and scan the individual images.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2019 10:56 PM

Then you colour correct and have them reprinted if you really need to.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2019 10:57 PM

Pref with something like an Epson Stylus Pro or a printer of greater quality. None of that wet-lab shite.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2019 10:58 PM

I had an uncle do that. It was a sign of mental decline. Your aunt needs a mental health check up. I'm not kidding. It's anti-social, and she both knew and didn't know what she was destroying.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2019 11:16 PM

[quote]And I can't just try to slowly and carefully peel out the uncut photos either. She used a very strong glue. I am so annoyed at her right now.

Mary !!!

If you don't already have one, but a printer/scanner for $250 from Best Buy or any other electronics and scan the pix without trying to peel them away from the pages.

Then, buy some paper premium photo paper and reprint the scans. If you want to get fancy, download one of several photo correcting programs and do minor corrections to the picture quality.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2019 11:17 PM

Ummm...camera pics are easier than hours of scanning for files too big anyway.

by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2019 11:19 PM

I peel you fain, op. My grandmother had a photo of me when I was about 4 sitting under one of the old trees on my great-grandparents farm, now under I64. I finally found it after she died, she had cut the face out to put in one of those standing family tree thingies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2019 11:24 PM

[quote]Ummm...camera pics are easier than hours of scanning for files too big anyway.

LOL - you do understand the connection between the file size and picture quality?

The quality of camera pix will be lower. Additionally, controlling light and reflections will be significantly more difficult. Finally, few people would be able to hold a camera steady and perfectly parallel to the surface of the original picture, introducing distortion into the image.

by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2019 11:25 PM

Especially old people. There are apps for that btw.

by Anonymousreply 19July 14, 2019 11:30 PM

[quote]Especially old people. There are apps for that btw.

True. And if time were an issue, it might make sense to use one, especially since many have photo editing features built-in.

But, using a scanner will still generally produce higher quality results - obviously, depending on the quality of the scanner itself.

by Anonymousreply 20July 14, 2019 11:46 PM

[quote]Ummm...camera pics are easier than hours of scanning for files too big anyway.

No, you scan these images. You aren't scanning film. You're scanning reflective media. The DPI output of whatever produced these images isn't that great, esp. if they're vintage. You can safely scan at 360 ppi or even less in some instances and still produce the same result. Thinking that this will take hours is nonsense.

You take a picture with a camera? you have to correct for the curvature of the lens, the lighting, the camera (colour) and myriad other things. Scanning is your best option. Taking a picture with a camera will take FAR LONGER for someone to correct the images.

by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 12:32 AM

Finally a thread where I can provide real input.

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 12:37 AM

[quote]Taking a picture with a camera will take FAR LONGER for someone to correct the images.

No, whoever said there are apps for this is correct. There are several solid Android and ios apps that will work quickly and efficiently that also have very decent editing functionality. The app will adjust for much, but not all, of the vagaries that might be introduced.

I do agree that scanning may result in higher quality pix.

Without knowing what kind of camera/phone or scanner is involved, we can't say for certain which will ultimately result in higher quality. And we have no idea to what degree time/efficiency matters to OP.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 1:02 AM

[quote]we can't say for certain which will ultimately result in higher quality.

A scanner's productions are ultimately of higher quality than that of a camera.

by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 1:03 AM

[quote]No, whoever said there are apps for this is correct. There are several solid Android and ios apps that will work quickly and efficiently that also have very decent editing functionality. The app will adjust for much, but not all, of the vagaries that might be introduced.

And an "app" (mobile) will not adjust for shit unless you know the make and model of the camera and lens. You also need to know about the lighting when you are taking the pictures which is probably of the utmost importance when taking the picture. Manual editing is best.

by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 1:05 AM

I also need to mention that OP probably doesn't have a studio setup with controlled lighting, so a scanner that has it's own controlled lighting setup (cover it with a black t-shirt or something) will be more consistent and far easier for OP to work with.

Or, you know, he could pay someone who knows what they're doing already to do it. Using a camera when you have flat reflective media that easily fits on a flatbed scanner is lunacy. These aren't posters or giant pieces of artwork that he's trying to reproduce.

by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote]And an "app" (mobile) will not adjust for shit unless you know the make and model of the camera and lens. You also need to know about the lighting when you are taking the pictures which is probably of the utmost importance when taking the picture. Manual editing is best.

Are you stating this from experience or just guessing? Reviews of the most popular apps laud both the quality of final images, speed, and availability of editing tools. It is not the same as simply snapping a picture of the picture with a camera.

I'm not sure how the make and model of the camera and lens would make any difference in this instance since we're talking about apps on a phone.

Second, if he's using a very high quality Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus with the top rated camera vs. a piece of crap scanner, who can say which one might produce better results for a novice (as OP is likely to be since he was trying to pry the pix off their mountings to save them, rather than immediately considering optical options).

Realistically, point and click may result in better quality than a novice trying to figure out how to adjust for various scanner settings. Manual editing is best only if you know what you're doing. Seemingly, OP does not.

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 1:17 AM

[quote]Realistically, point and click may result in better quality than a novice trying to figure out how to adjust for various scanner settings

No.

Flatbed scanning offers more consistency and better quality. There is no "adjusting" the camera. The camera is fixed,

Also, scanning "apps" (programs) already do more than what a camera "app" can do in terms of producing a high quality result. A camera relies FAR more heavily on manual editing and the skill of the user than a scanner. A scanner preset will probably be fine for vintage photos. OP won't have to dick around too much.

AGAIN, we are scanning reflective media, not transparent media (film).

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 1:20 AM

And when I say manual editing is best, I me ant that it is of course BEST because the eye of the editor knows what the original media looks like and can best reproduce that through manual editing when not in a completely controlled environment.

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 1:21 AM

OP. SCAN it.

Oh, and when I say camera, I mean a REAL CAMERA, like a Canon. Not a "fake" camera, like that on a phone.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 1:22 AM

I can't believe that a "phone camera" even came up in this conversation.

Not acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 1:24 AM

Hands shake. Scanners do not shake.

by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 1:27 AM

Are you going to have OP mount all of these on the wall and have the camera on a tripod and take a long exposure shot? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 1:27 AM

Even then a scanner would blow the quality of the camera shot out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 1:28 AM

flatbed scanner, no rolling roller shit as well.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 1:31 AM

That shit is for barcodes.

by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 1:31 AM

[quote]Are you stating this from experience or just guessing?

From having to do this for years while also having to repair any damage to the photo after the fact. Real work experience.

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 1:32 AM

Are YOU just guessing?

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 1:32 AM

Jesus fuck.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 1:33 AM

[quote]Second, if he's using a very high quality Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus with the top rated camera vs. a piece of crap scanner,

"Piece of crap" scanner will still produce a better result than a CELL PHONE.

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 1:35 AM

[quote]From having to do this for years while also having to repair any damage to the photo after the fact. Real work experience.

Sorry, I should have asked whether you've had poor results from using the scanning apps. Of course, they're not going to produce results as good as a professional with professional equipment who knows what he's doing.

My original suggestion was that OP use a scanner. However, if he doesn't have a "real camera" or doesn't want to spend the money on a scanner, both of which are possible, an app is a viable alternative. If OP does not know how to use a scanner or photo editing software to optimize results, it will not a priori produce higher quality results.

Something like PhotoScan by Google will do its own cropping, rotation and color correction of an old photo. It will adjust for glare, as well as recognize the corners of the photo.

Without knowing more about OP, he may simply not have the wherewithal to scan and edit photos.

[quote]"Piece of crap" scanner will still produce a better result than a CELL PHONE.

Not if he doesn't have any idea what he's doing.

Honestly, I was not trying to suggest you didn't know what you're doing. I was suggesting that OP may not know or have the skill to produce high quality results and would do better using simpler tools. Apologies if it seemed otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 1:39 AM

Ask a professional photographer to recommend someone who can do a quality job restoring these photographs. It may be expensive, but if the photos are priceless to you, it is worth it. Plus you can give your grandmother the new photos for a holiday you celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 1:45 AM

NP, R41.

R42: vintage photography is of lower quality when it comes to scanning, ESP if they're black and white images. OP shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for this. If the photos are sufficiently old, a printer scanner combo will be able to handle it.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 1:46 AM

Accept that you are all going to die and that none of this really matters. It seems to be the cheapest and easiest solution.

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 1:47 AM

I was also going to add. Nowadays, the workflow offered in modern scanning applications should be able to compensate for any lack of skill. The only issue for OP is going to be dust & scratches.

by Anonymousreply 45July 15, 2019 1:47 AM

If you want to be frugal and effective, OP. You want to hire a photography student to handle it. Professional photographer will be $$$.

by Anonymousreply 46July 15, 2019 1:52 AM

FFS. Find a photo conservator, who will remove and repair the photos as is possible; they can then make copies with or without extensive digital restoration. You can find one near you at the American Institute for Conservation website. Let them know your budget, they'll work with you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 15, 2019 1:53 AM

Show the scrapbooked photos to a boy or girl with a photographic memory. Then wait for the technology that lets human download their brain images to a printer. It won't be long, now.

by Anonymousreply 48July 15, 2019 1:54 AM

R47 = Expensive.

These are vintage photographs, R47 JEEZ. Not hard to scan on your own, ESP if black and white.

by Anonymousreply 49July 15, 2019 1:55 AM

And use a local service if you can, OP. Not some service like that at R47 that is paying for overhead for executives and "business types".

by Anonymousreply 50July 15, 2019 1:57 AM

Such bullshit at R47. That's for something more high-end. Vintage photos are /not/ high-end. The original quality of the photos doesn't warrant that much work to preserve. They're the easiest of the easy.

by Anonymousreply 51July 15, 2019 1:59 AM

What if my grandmother was Aline Johnson de Menocal and the vintage photos are important testimony to our life in pre-revolutionary Cuba? WHAT IF MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A LADY IN HAVANA?! Literal erasure!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2019 2:18 AM

Someone is mad that an app can do in a few seconds something that took him all day.

by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2019 5:14 AM

Jesús, what a bunch of cunts in this thread. Have you all never heard of the Google PhotoScan app? Open it, hover your camera over the picture and it scans. It corrects for glare. I scanned hundreds of my grandmother's photos in about an hour.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2019 6:29 AM

My aunt went through a phase where she was tearing up photos and making collages. She would tear little bits of the photo around whatever she thought was important in the picture, leaving tattered edges. I was in high school at the time and couldn't believe she was, in my mind, destroying the old pictures.

I've been planning on scanning in some old media and came across this product that might be useful in your situation. It's a small scanner with glass on not only the scanning side, but also on the back, so you can lay the scanner on individual photos in a scrapbook page and see through to exactly what is being scanned. It stores images on a memory card, so you don't have to have a computer nearby to operate it For larger images, you can overlap scans and the software will paste them together.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 15, 2019 6:43 AM

[quote]Jesús, what a bunch of cunts in this thread. Have you all never heard of the Google PhotoScan app? Open it, hover your camera over the picture and it scans. It corrects for glare. I scanned hundreds of my grandmother's photos in about an hour.

No, tell us more. What is this app thing of which you speak. Who is Google?

From r41: "Something like PhotoScan by Google will do its own cropping, rotation and color correction of an old photo. It will adjust for glare, as well as recognize the corners of the photo."

by Anonymousreply 56July 15, 2019 4:11 PM

Take the scrapbook to a camera shop. They will have a high-quality scanner and can scan everything for you, plus they can fix any tears or splotches in the scanned images.

by Anonymousreply 57July 15, 2019 4:32 PM

Scrapbooking is the ultimate frau hobby. Do you know that they actually had at one point, scrapbooking CRUISES?!? If I were the husband of said frau, I’d live in the bar the entire voyage.

by Anonymousreply 58July 15, 2019 4:42 PM

My sister did this when she got into scrapbooking.

One day I come home from work and my mother tells me my sister came over and took all the old photo albums home with her.

By the time I had reached her house she had already cut up a couple dozen old pictures, including the only picture my parents had from the day they got married.

Of course all her scrap books are now in boxes in the garage long forgotten.

Dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 59July 15, 2019 10:03 PM

It's beyond dumb. It is seriously anti-social personality acting out.

by Anonymousreply 60July 16, 2019 5:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!