Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)

The Lucy thread about 'Yours, Mine and Ours' inspired me to re-watch this 1969 classic.

Of course, we're all captivated as DL Legend Suzanne Pleshette falls for sexy scamp Ian McShane, but there are so many other fun characters in this 50-year old movie.

Why isn't Hilarie Thompson a DL Fave yet? She was in EVERYTHING from 1969 to 1977 or so.

Peggy Cass! Norman Fell!

JOAN COLLINS!!!

Is there a more perfect movie???

BTW, I first saw this in 1984 and was stunned to hear Donovan singing "Lord Of The Reedy River" in this. Previously, I had only heard the song as covered by Kate Bush in 1981.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2021 1:41 PM

Great little movie, stellar cast! It was like a precursor to The Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2019 9:57 PM

You're right, OP. Hilarie Thompson should be a DL fave. After all, she played Marge, the game operator that Greg Brady tries to pick up at King's Island!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2019 10:27 PM

How could you forget Patricia Routledge!

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2019 10:34 PM

Hilarie Thompson was also in an episode of 'I Dream of Jeannie.'

She was everywhere!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2019 10:38 PM

I constantly use this reference if someone asks me t day it is and it's Tuesday

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2019 10:40 PM

"If this is London, why is it raining?"

I totally forgot Patricia Routledge was in there, R3. No slight intended.

But Hilarie Thompson! Right???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2019 10:47 PM

All it needed was Vivian Vance, Reta Shaw, and Thelma Ritter and it would've been in the DL Film Pantheon.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2019 2:14 AM

Rewatched it last night, I last saw it on some cable channel a decade ago.

The ending is quite radical for its time. Even now, the female character saying the sex was great and I like you but you’re not husband material would make a statement.

Ms Pleshette was one of those actors who had a career I would chose every time over an A List movie star. On YT, I saw her with Vic Morrow in a movie that filmed in Istanbul and of course she was in Rome Adventure. My BIL met her in the 80s filming in New Orleans. I’d love that kind of vagabond life while still being able to go out and live like a normal person.

The cameo by Patricia Routledge is a gem too.

by Anonymousreply 8July 19, 2019 12:50 PM

There’s a character named “Harry Dicks??”

I’m in.

by Anonymousreply 9July 19, 2019 12:57 PM

I loved this movie. And Ian McShane. Where did you find it?

by Anonymousreply 10July 19, 2019 1:04 PM

Did anyone watch the 1987 sequel with Courtney Cox? It’s really bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2019 1:27 PM

YouTube has the full movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2019 1:30 PM

Oh god, Hilarie Thompson is married to Alan Ormsby, who I only know from his one role as the queeny, ascot-wearing (and imaginatively named) Alan in the light zombie horror/dark comedy film "Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things."

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2019 1:34 PM

DL Fave Hilarie Thompson!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2019 1:42 PM

[quote]JOAN COLLINS!!!

All she does is cross the King's Road in a mini dress.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2019 2:12 PM

I love the Donovan segment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2019 2:13 PM

I prefer the 1981 cover of "Lord Of The Reedy River" by Kate Bush.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2019 2:17 PM

^^ I don't.

I like Mary's version better than that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2019 2:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2019 2:46 PM

You've never heard of Mary Hopkin?

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2019 2:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2019 2:54 PM

Have you heard of Toyah Willcox?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2019 2:55 PM

This is her very famous song. Listen to it all the way through. Paul McCartney produced it when he was still a Beatle. It was a HUGE international hit and number one everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2019 2:56 PM

I'm old enough to have seen IITTMBB in the theater. I remember that my mother really liked it.

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2019 2:58 PM

[quote]Have you heard of Toyah Willcox?

LOL.

Have you heard of Jackie Trent?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2019 3:03 PM

Love this movie and have it forever saved on my Smart TV. Ian McShane is a god!

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2019 3:13 PM

I always loved Reva Rose. She plays Norma Fell's wife who gets lost and winds up on a Japanese tour bus. She deserved a better career.

I saw her as the original Lucy in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, way back in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2019 3:20 PM

[quote] She plays Norma Fell's wife

Mr. Roper transitioned?

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2019 3:42 PM

from Ice-T

[quote]Got to work with one of my Favorite Actors on the 1st SVU episode of the new season! Mr Ian Mcshane... Coolest dude ever....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 19, 2019 8:48 PM

Hilarie Thompson!

by Anonymousreply 30January 4, 2020 10:42 PM

Watching it now on Prime Video. Mr. Ian McShane was a crumpety snack in this. Sandy Baron was cute too in a nerdy way. Suzanne Pleshette was gorgeous.

Of course, if they remade it today, everybody would be absorbed in their phones and the horny teen couple would be posting on their OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2021 2:39 AM

I love this scene.

Two old soldiers remembering their war time experiences at Bastogne.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2021 2:52 AM

[quote]I always loved Reva Rose.

She also did a couple of episodes of "That Girl". I think Marlo Thomas kept getting jealous of other actresses because the sidekicks never lasted very long.

by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2021 2:53 AM

Great movie and especially wonderful scenery all over Europe, so good armchair travel while we're stuck in place. Very funny film, great cast! Peggy Cass, Mildred Natwick, Reva Rose, Norman Fell, and stars Ian McShane (very hot and randy) and lovely Suzanne Pleshette! I watched on Amazon Prime recently.

by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2021 4:29 AM

Counterfeit 😇 Angel Hilarie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2021 4:41 AM

50 years old next month. In the NY are it was a huge hit with a successful run at Radio City Music Hall before it opened wide and would come back regularly as a bottom half of a double feature.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2021 5:10 AM

I remember near the end one of the male tourists was in Rome and goes into a suitably decripit shoe shop. He points to some shoes, wanting tan custom made Italian shoes. What he points to the shoemaker interprets as white and brown. The shoemaker, as soon as the tourist is gone, pulls out a catalouge and leafs through it until he finds the tourist's shoe size. It was a scam all along! That and a close up of Peggy Cass's... fleshy, shall I say? Upper arm, getting jabbed for all dem (sic) European diseases we in America had so valiantly conquered!

by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2021 9:06 AM

I love it when Murray Hamilton and Peggy Cass can’t figure out what the bidet is .... Also fun - the kleptomaniac who steals his telephone after he receives his wake up call. ..... I haven’t seen it in a long time - when the young guy (was it Sandy Baron’s character?) was trying to escape his potential father in law and was hiding in the bathroom - the Italian man kept shouting out a name - I can’t think of it .... Oh and Marty Ingals snapping photos under women’s skirts ..... Okay - I am off to Fondue Fling Night! ......”That’s how I lost Irma - Cheese.”

by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2021 10:22 AM

I remember watching the episode where Alice quits and the Brady's get another maid who's ALSO white- in the 1970's. I asked my mother why are their maids always white ( because in the early 1970's ours were ALWAYS black). She said they didn't want to offend anyone. Even in ca. 1973 I think it was the twilight zone that an Upper Middle Class family in the VALLEY would have a white maid.

by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2021 1:59 PM

Luke Halpin

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2021 2:10 PM

R35, that brought back such memories!

Hilarie did a great Counterfeit Sabrina!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 8, 2021 2:54 PM

DVR Alert "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" TCM Thursday, May 13, 2021 4:15PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 8, 2021 3:25 PM

Thanks, R42!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43May 8, 2021 3:34 PM

I'm watching it right now, for free, on youtube!

Fun movie, for someone who's stuck at home with a broken leg.

by Anonymousreply 44May 8, 2021 7:25 PM

I did too! More fun than I expected, with some sharp observations. And yes, Donovan, a crush from back when.

by Anonymousreply 45May 8, 2021 9:33 PM

It comes through clearly that everyone had loads of fun filming this.

by Anonymousreply 46May 8, 2021 9:47 PM

That "Lord of the Reedy River" song has been running through my head for hours now! Lovely song, quite the earworm, and it worked perfectly in the context of the film. In a movie about people rushing around and failing to appreciate all the beauty and wonder they were being show, it's the one moment in the film where we're given a moment to just appreciate something lovely.

A question: Was Donovan straight?

by Anonymousreply 47May 8, 2021 10:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 8, 2021 10:04 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 8, 2021 10:04 PM

It's on TCM today. Right after that other DL classic, "Where the Boys Are."

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Not only is this film very funny with a great cast of comic actors from the time who you saw all the time on tv, but the scenery in different countries will make you feel a bit like you're taking a foreign vacation right now, which since lots of us aren't traveling, will really help with some wanderlust.

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2021 4:34 PM

OMG I had just come back from a tour of Spain and Portugal with my parents when this movie came out... It was pretty much spot on. It was hurry and look at the left window before we pass whatever treasure was in that particular country

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2021 4:44 PM

I saw it when it came out. I loved it having, like R52, just been on such a tour.

We went on a family tour in 1967 when I was 17. It was a blast, every day either a new town or country and so many beautiful charming places to experience. England, Germany, France, and Italy There were other teens on the tour and we hung out together. It was so memorable that when I graduated from college I saved all my money and went back with a couple of friends for almost four months, traveling from place to place with our Europass train cards, just hopping on and off trains, using the tourist bureaus at each station to find lodgings. It was quite common in those years for the college-aged to spend time in Europe gadding about.

My nieces and nephews aren't doing that, they're going straight into busy careers. My age group was lucky to live in an era when the cost of living and travel was really cheap. We spent $1.50 a night for a great room we found in Athens, an older couple we met spent $40 because they booked in advance.

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2021 4:58 PM

That's a great story R52. I was 13 when we went as a family in 68. I loved Sand P so much I begged my dad to send me on a teen tour 3 yrs later. He did and I spent the summer on a tour bus (same hurry and look out the window before we pass it) with people my own age...I'm sure I've been "flagged" almost all over the world. We really raised a shit load of hell from Switzerland to Israel.

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2021 5:57 PM

R35- She looked SO OLD by 1979.

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2021 7:09 PM

R55 I thought you were talking about Mildred Natwick.

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2021 9:01 PM

Oh...it's on Prime...going to watch it for the first time in almost 50 yrs

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2021 9:24 PM

Love this movie. I used to watch it with my grandmother every time it was on tv. Good memories.

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2021 9:38 PM

"If It's" Tuesday It Must Be Beverly" is a terrific Murder, She Wrote episode

by Anonymousreply 59May 13, 2021 9:44 PM

Just watched it, via YouTube (Full movie available for those without cable.) So many throwaway lines I missed before.

(Group looking at Mannequin Pis in Belgium:) "I thought it would be bigger." "He's just a little boy."

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2021 2:59 AM

Our local station used to play it several times a year and I never missed it. My mother would sometimes watch with me, because she knew before I did.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2021 3:15 AM

Suzanne Pleshette was really gorgeous, never noticed she had big blue eyes on TV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2021 10:02 AM

Why did people stop dressing nicely!?

Only 13 years later I was born and people were looking like Twisted Sister and 80s Madonna.

Wtf changed? Go back to class.

by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2021 10:24 AM

R62 she was stunning. Once she got rid of those stiff, sprayed in hairstyles, her beauty was able to shine through

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2021 5:04 PM

They had to style her down in Newhart. Bob married to a knockout beauty would not have worked.

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2021 5:20 PM

R63 in about 1968.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2021 3:40 AM

Not only does the leading character have sex with the hot guide and dump him to go live her own life, the teen girl also screws the protestor guy and expresses no regret when they go their separate ways.

That was a massive change for Hollywood, which had spent the last 60-odd years insisting that having sex meant that the woman, at least, was making a lifetime commitment.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2021 4:12 AM

I am old enough to have seen this when it opened wide across the U.S. And the premise gave me wanderlust that persists to this day. I bought a Blu-ray version on eBay a while back and immediately felt drawn to world travel like I did watching it for the first time in the theater.

The fact that Pleshette and McShane don't end up together was radical for the time. Imagine: a rom-com with no happy ending.

I spent the better part of three weeks in Venice back in 2019, divided between two visits. So I was struck by how dirty the canal was that Sandy Baron jumped into. You can see trash floating back then in the water. Venice's canals are so much cleaner today. Or at least they appear to be.

I had a huge crush on Luke Halpin back in the day and re-watching the movie brought back those memories.

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2021 4:27 AM

I grew up in Charlotte NC and seeing a couple in the movie who said they were from Charlotte NC was very cool as a kid. Great movie

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2021 10:04 AM

Directed by Mel Stuart, whose other big movie was "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory."

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2021 1:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!