Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any Fans Of The Antique Roadshow?

The American version? I love it, but I love the British version much more.

Interestingly I just found out that to even be able to bring an item to the American Version you have to put your name into a lottery. They only give out a maximum of 6000 tickets per location. If you're picked you're given a specific time of day you have to be there. The American version is 10 times (or more) larger than the British version. On the British version you just show up and you're guaranteed someone will appraise your artifact. The British show is usually filmed at some stately home's garden or some other outdoor location, while the American version is usually filmed at a convention center or some other large facility.

by Anonymousreply 148September 10, 2019 1:15 AM

Antique Roadshow you say? I don't recall that show being dicussed here!

by Anonymousreply 1July 14, 2019 9:06 PM

I've noticed the UK version has changed a bit and when in years past it was low key and chatty it's become a bit like the US version with people freaking out over the valuations.

A couple things I remember about the US version vividly, in the first season a woman who found out her dead mother's bracelet was worth thousands, replies that she hopes her siblings don't see the show because they didn't know she had the bracelet and they might want it back.

I also read that when an item is fake, they had to start warning the people before hand to see if they wanted to continue because people were getting angry on camera when they were told they owned a copy or fake.

by Anonymousreply 2July 14, 2019 10:01 PM

I well remember the guy who brought in an old sword he said had found it in the attic and the appraiser went gaga over it giving it a valuation of $35,000.00. The mook who brought it in stood there dumbfounded and said "we use to to cut watermelons". Turned out the sword was that valuable but the guy who brought it in was a friend of the appraiser's business partner and they were all in cahoots to do a fake appraisal. The appraiser and his partner had acquired that and another sword by fraudulently telling the owners they were worth far less than they were actually worth. Antiques Roadshow cut ties with the appraiser & his partner and removed every segment with either of them from their past videos. The appraiser was charged, convicted and sentenced to 6 months in prison. Of course he claimed they did nothing wrong and it was all just his competitors making up lies to get them off the show.

The business partner also went to prison for a much longer time (4-8 years) for theft by deception and various other crimes involving his antiques auction business. He was already serving one prison sentence when he was charged and convicted on another batch of crimes and given more time.

by Anonymousreply 3July 14, 2019 11:05 PM

The Brit version they always have people say that my granny was in service and was asked to take one item. You know granny knicked it.

by Anonymousreply 4July 14, 2019 11:12 PM

Oh well, if Queen Mary could do it, so could Nana.

by Anonymousreply 5July 14, 2019 11:14 PM

I love on the British one when they freak out because something's worth £180 - I mean, how poor are they?

by Anonymousreply 6July 14, 2019 11:15 PM

The British version is insufferable. I love the US version!

by Anonymousreply 7July 14, 2019 11:16 PM

[quote]while the American version is usually filmed at a convention center or some other large facility

and lacks the charm of the British one for this reason.

by Anonymousreply 8July 14, 2019 11:17 PM

If you want to see how the old British version used to be this Youtube channel has about 50 old shows, mostly hosted by Hugh Scully.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 14, 2019 11:18 PM

The Brit version has its own channel on Pluto TV. Antiques Roadshow 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 10July 14, 2019 11:22 PM

I find the selection of items on the British version more interesting than what's brought in on the American version.

by Anonymousreply 11July 14, 2019 11:24 PM

I love Antiques Roadshow. I recently applied because they're coming to my area but my name wasn't picked from the lottery. They said if you have something and a compelling story to tell about it to reapply. I could have entered my grandfather's WWI memorabilia but didn't think of it at the time. I was focused on taking other things I more recently acquired.

I also love the British version but haven't seen it years.

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2019 11:27 PM

Tell them about your costume jewellery covered beret, r12 .

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2019 11:34 PM

Lord Cornwallis was on a British Antiques Roadshow. He had some fabulous items, a presentation tea caddy is one I recall, that the presenter oohed and aahed over. On the American version, I watch for the expert explanations on styles of furniture, china markings, etc. It's a short, digestible history lesson.

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2019 11:39 PM

Tell them about your collection of '70s kaftans, R12 - that will get you in.

by Anonymousreply 15July 14, 2019 11:40 PM

R12, channel 367 on PlutoTV. The Antiques Roadshow channel (all British). It's free. If you have a streaming device connected to your TV it should be one of the apps listed. Or you can watch it on your computer or smart phone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 14, 2019 11:46 PM

I watch both but I prefer the British one because I'm not interested in the American sports memorabilia hysteria ( wow Ty Cobb signed his ball !!!) I liked the elderly pottery appraiser on the British version : I remember once he was horrified when a lady said she displayed her antique plate on her wall in a wire rack and he said to her - how would you like me to hang you up in a wire rack !

by Anonymousreply 17July 14, 2019 11:50 PM

I had so wanted to bring my pair of French brass and crystal three-light Girandole tabletop candelabras. They are beyond divine.

Thank you so much, R16, for your kind information. I shall sashay over to the TV right now to see if I have PlutoTV on 367.

I hope I don't trip on my caftan as I scurry over there! Heavens! That could hurt!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 14, 2019 11:51 PM

I like it when the black guy got mad because his Chia Obama head was worth less than his Chia Reagan head.

by Anonymousreply 19July 15, 2019 12:03 AM

The Keno brothers had recent troubles of their own -- accused of conspiring to bring auction prices up and not paying vendors

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 15, 2019 12:17 AM

R17, that's Henry Sandon, I love watching him he is so enthusiastic and knowledgeable, as is his son John who is also on the old programs. The other appraiser I enjoy and trust is John Bly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 15, 2019 12:20 AM

I've never been able to tolerate the Keno brothers. When they both drastically changed their hairstyles to that long ragged look I wanted to puke.

What fools they were for bidding against each other to bring the prices up. Now they're 600 Gs in debt and can't pay their bills. Fools.

by Anonymousreply 22July 15, 2019 12:21 AM

There are a handful of appraisers on the US version that I would love to suck dry.

by Anonymousreply 23July 15, 2019 12:25 AM

R21 I'd forgotten that his name is Henry Sandon. He' s still living at 90.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 15, 2019 3:17 PM

From Alas Smith and Jones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 15, 2019 4:24 PM

I love Suzanne Perrault's accent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 15, 2019 4:35 PM

Doris, Suzanne Perrault drives me crazy,

"This...is...probably...one of the...most interesting...pieces of...Arts...and Crafts...pottery...that I have...ever...seen"

by Anonymousreply 27July 15, 2019 4:45 PM

OP is an Eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 28July 15, 2019 4:46 PM

Didn't the coyote do this and then found out all the Acme products were worthless?

by Anonymousreply 29July 15, 2019 4:52 PM

I know, r27, that's what I like about her speech pattern. It's so...so....individual.

by Anonymousreply 30July 15, 2019 4:57 PM

I wonder whatever happened to the old guy on the American AR who was crippled and couldn't stand. His whole body was crooked and his head was always cocked to the side because he couldn't straighten it up. I don't think I've seen him in a long time. I wonder if he died. He seemed quite old.

by Anonymousreply 31July 15, 2019 4:57 PM

Did a little Googling. His name was Wendell Garrett, and he died at 83 way back in 2012.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32July 15, 2019 5:01 PM

Speaking of accents.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 15, 2019 5:06 PM

Everybody give a big cheer for.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 15, 2019 5:10 PM

Not a fan, but I get that awful theme song stuck in my head at random waaaaay too often.

by Anonymousreply 35July 15, 2019 5:12 PM

Nick Lowry has always been a hoot. His crazy suits and his various hairstyles from long ago. Now he's grown himself a big old handlebar mustache. He looks like a Mississippi riverboat captain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 15, 2019 5:25 PM

Where DOES he get those suits, r36?

by Anonymousreply 37July 15, 2019 5:36 PM

My brother and I both won two tickets each when the show came to a nearby state. We each got to bring three items for appraisal.

We were assigned different times to be at the convention center, he and my SIL in the morning and my friend and I in the afternoon. Nothing that either of us brought made it to air.

This was about 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 38July 15, 2019 7:58 PM

r25

These guys are so fuckin' funny. I doubt any American could see it though, unless it involves a nancy boy or overbearing middle aged frau.

by Anonymousreply 39July 15, 2019 8:22 PM

[quote]I well remember the guy who brought in an old sword he said had found it in the attic and the appraiser went gaga over it giving it a valuation of $35,000.00. The mook who brought it in stood there dumbfounded and said "we use to to cut watermelons".

I remember that one!

by Anonymousreply 40July 15, 2019 9:11 PM

I remember as well. Also the Calder mobile that had some damage because they had it hanging outside for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 15, 2019 9:35 PM

Also the Diego Rivera the guy found hanging behind a door....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42July 15, 2019 9:40 PM

Suzanne Perrault is French-Canadian and a former fashion model. She has a quirky accent for sure.

by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 16, 2019 2:48 AM

Ive watched every episode since the beginning,and I agree with another poster about sports crap. As well as weapons,and maps.Theyll flash briefly on some fabulous Cartier ruby brooch,then spend 10 goddamn minutes talking about some sports jersey or 1630 map of wherever.

by Anonymousreply 45July 16, 2019 5:37 AM

R45 - I'll see your complaints and raise you an eyeroll for every civil war item that ever appears. I could care less about the guns, cutlasses, uniforms, etc.

I guess I want to see beautiful objects of quality and design - not memorabilia, baskets, naive art, etc. Some of the pottery is god awful as well.

by Anonymousreply 46July 16, 2019 5:45 AM

The U.S. show filmed at various "historic" venues for this most recent season, and are doing the same this year for next season -- from the linked article: [quote]Programs in the 23rd season were filmed at Churchill Downs in Louisville, home to the Kentucky Derby; the historic Hotel del Coronado resort in San Diego; the Philbrook Museum of Art in Tulsa, Okla.; Meadow Brook Hall, outside of Detroit; and Ca’ d’Zan, the John and Mabel Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, Fla. For the 2019 tour that begins in April, Antiques Roadshow will travel to the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix; the McNay Art Museum in San Antonio; the Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento, Calif.; Bonanzaville in Fargo, N.D.; and the Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library in Winterthur, Del. Episodes produced from this tour will make up the 24th season debuting in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 16, 2019 5:58 AM

^^ Sorry about the formatting -- it's been long enough since I posted a quote that I guess I only *thought I remembered how to do it properly!

by Anonymousreply 48July 16, 2019 6:00 AM

[quote] Sorry about the formatting -- it's been long enough since I posted a quote that I guess I only *thought I remembered how to do it properly!

Oh, Mary - what a mess!

by Anonymousreply 49July 16, 2019 6:11 AM

R45 and R46, you need to check out my Youtube suggestion for the old British AR shows. Some of the pieces are incredibly old and rare.

by Anonymousreply 50July 16, 2019 6:12 AM

We have TONS of TV antiques shows here in England. They never end, in fact.

We only got to see the American Antiques Roadshow for a while when they ran it on PBS America. But PBS America is pretty shit now and we just see endless documentaries on repeat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 16, 2019 6:17 AM

Briton is a bit older than the USA.

by Anonymousreply 52July 16, 2019 6:17 AM

for you Anglophiles.

Celebrity Antiques Road Trip.

(but don't expect too much and don't expect to recognise the "celebrities" either)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 16, 2019 6:22 AM

[quote]Briton is a bit older than the USA.

Do you mean Britain?

by Anonymousreply 54July 16, 2019 6:23 AM

[quote]Ive watched every episode since the beginning,and I agree with another poster about sports crap. As well as weapons,and maps.Theyll flash briefly on some fabulous Cartier ruby brooch,then spend 10 goddamn minutes talking about some sports jersey or 1630 map of wherever.

I smell heterosexuals at work.

by Anonymousreply 55July 16, 2019 6:25 AM

R51 it sounds like PBS America in the UK (I didn't even know there was such a thing) is becoming as crappy as BBC In America. Check out today's BBC In America programming. How that channel is still on is beyond me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 16, 2019 9:05 AM

^^ That's shocking, R56

Why do they even bother if they're going to put out such crap?

I've often wondered about the viability of starting a British TV channel in the USA. Even if the shows were really good and varied, would there be an audience?

by Anonymousreply 57July 16, 2019 10:15 AM

BBCIA used to be great, in the early days. They had lots of real BBC programming. Eastenders, Monarch Of The Glen, and other shows I enjoyed. No more. Just junk like Star Trek, all day every day.

by Anonymousreply 58July 16, 2019 11:14 AM

From Auction Kings......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59July 16, 2019 1:20 PM

Two of the categories that really don't do much for me on the show are Leila and her sports memorabilia, and Rafe with his Civil War weapons. Some of the Native American stuff can be interesting if it's in good condition.

I have rather a crush on Ken Farmer, and was pleased to see that David Lackey, the older fem guy from Houston with bad skin and slick hair now has a wedding ring, as he's a really nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 60July 16, 2019 1:35 PM

I just switched on the BBC here in London and there's YET ANOTHER antiques show - this one's called "Make Me A Dealer" and must be new. It is AWFUL. Dreadful lame jokes and that queeny straight guy hosting it ...you get lots of them on British antiques shows, as gay as Christmas and then you google them and they're married.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 16, 2019 2:44 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 16, 2019 2:48 PM

Remember the Joan Crawford nurse/nanny archive?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63July 16, 2019 2:53 PM

I agree with comments about civil war weapons and sports stuff - yawn.

Also I 'm perplexed by the gushing over George Orr ( The Mad Potter of Biloxi) pots - particularly his "burnt babies".

I do enjoy the Asian art experts - James Callahan and Lark Mason. Anyone who can decipher those Chinese / Japanese characters impresses me.

by Anonymousreply 64July 16, 2019 3:00 PM

You watched last night, didn't you, r64?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65July 16, 2019 3:05 PM

Suzanne Perrault is so pretentious with that accent and halting speech, I just assumed she was covering up roots from Secaucus, New Jersey or some such cultural hub. I stand corrected.

by Anonymousreply 66July 16, 2019 3:07 PM

Don't forget the Overbeck sisters, r64, though the traditional pieces are lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 16, 2019 3:10 PM

Oh, I still like her, r66. However, her hair always looks a bit....slapdash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68July 16, 2019 3:16 PM

Is Colleene Fesko well known, from the USA show?

(on the right)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69July 16, 2019 3:50 PM

I LOVE Coleen ! Shes always stylish and impeccably turned out,and you can tell in real life shes a fascinating and truly nice lady ! Her explanations are always informative and relatable as well,you feel like you actually learn something. I love to here Rafe speak,but omg am I ever sick of civil war crap.Not to mention poor Rafe was so cute way back,and hit the wall hard.

by Anonymousreply 70July 16, 2019 4:11 PM

It's Colleene, R70.

by Anonymousreply 71July 16, 2019 4:13 PM

[quote]I do enjoy the Asian art experts - James Callahan and Lark Mason

I can't STAND Larky Mason. His high, shrill voice is quite like that of Norman Bates' mother in [italic]Psycho.[/italic] He's very knowledgeable in his field, but I can't get past his Old-woman voice.

A number of years ago, [italic]Antiques Roadshow[/italic] had a one-off featuring children of the regular appraisers doing appraisals of things that other kids had brought in. Larky's daughter was one of the juvenile appraisers. I guess she was somewhere between 11 and 14 or so. While she (fortunately) didn't have any of Larky's speaking peculiarities, she was quite rude and arrogant.

by Anonymousreply 72July 16, 2019 4:58 PM

Lark E.

Not Larky,

by Anonymousreply 73July 16, 2019 5:30 PM

I like the shows that go years back and show what a certain item was appraised for then and what it is worth now. It's kind of sad. Jewelry and art seem to be the few antique items that have grown in value.

by Anonymousreply 74July 16, 2019 5:36 PM

Anyone see the short lived Canadian Antiques Roadshow?

That was absolute shit, and I say that as a Canadian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75July 16, 2019 5:54 PM

I watched Backroad Bounty last night. It's Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 76July 16, 2019 6:00 PM

^^^Never heard of that one, what channel is it on?

by Anonymousreply 77July 16, 2019 6:01 PM

I must disagree, R64, about George Ohr. He was a great artist in ceramics and deserves his posthumous praise. A friend of mine had a large collection of his work and I got to see a lot of them and handle them, My friend had about 20 of the color pieces, the clay so thin I don't know how they held together, his technique was amazing. Unfortunately as my friend needed money he would sell pieces to local dealers for well below value, even though I told him often to take them all to Sotheby's, who would love a collection like that, but he wouldn't listen.

by Anonymousreply 78July 16, 2019 6:15 PM

R64 here. In response to R72 I have to admit that of the two I much prefer James Callahan even though most likely their level of expertise is comparable.

R78 Also as far as George Orr goes Id like to see some of those colour pieces you mention featured on one of the programmes.

by Anonymousreply 79July 16, 2019 7:44 PM

George Orr was a "personality" before such a thing was commonplace. Thats why he sold even back then,but Ive always felt his work was ugly as sin. Speaking of,I wonder if the collection of his pottery that was displayed in the beau Rivage in Biloxi made it through the hurricane Katrina? I was there a month before ,and spent a lot of time staring at it and trying to figure out the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 80July 16, 2019 7:58 PM

Ohr dammit !

by Anonymousreply 81July 16, 2019 8:04 PM

Not r78, r79, but there's.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82July 16, 2019 8:31 PM

There were only two seasons (rather understandably), r77. I watch it on Quest (usually Monday nights).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83July 16, 2019 8:38 PM

[quote]Lark E. Not Larky,

They always refer to him as "Larky Mason." One day I looked at the screen and he was indeed labeled as "Lark E," but by then the damage was done. He will always be Larky Mason, for that's what they still call him.

by Anonymousreply 84July 16, 2019 10:23 PM

OMG. I've been spelling the name as Orr and now I see it's Ohr. Maybe I've got Bobby Orr on the brain.

by Anonymousreply 85July 16, 2019 11:41 PM

Veneer!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 17, 2019 12:30 AM

Lark always pinged to high heaven to me, as well as seeming at least 65 when I first saw him, so an 11 y/o daughter quite something!

by Anonymousreply 87July 17, 2019 12:39 AM

I much prefer Porcelain Paul from Will & Grace over any of the real appraisers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88July 17, 2019 2:29 PM

This then/now show was on last night. She appraises it at $20,000 then says "It's the kind of thing that will go up in value as time goes by."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 17, 2019 8:55 PM

A lot of items have significantly gone down in value.

Early American furniture and prints (like Currier and Ives) are worth far less now than they were 10 years ago.

Boomers loved this stuff, Gen Xers not so much.

by Anonymousreply 90July 17, 2019 9:12 PM

As r90 pointed out, trends and popularity come and go. My father collected American art pottery for years, then sold it all in the late 90's, mostly through auctions. I still have the catalogs which include his items. Today, similar items, and sometimes the very same item, are lucky to bring half of what my dad made off of them. He got out just before the pottery plunge.

by Anonymousreply 91July 17, 2019 9:22 PM

Things do come and go, like the chipboard Ikea wardrobes that crumble apart, when a nice Victorian oak wardrobe at a similar cost will survive. Because young people now don't value these things, that is not permanent either.

by Anonymousreply 92July 17, 2019 11:26 PM

I wonder if they would appraise antique sex toys?

by Anonymousreply 93July 18, 2019 3:58 AM

"Good golly, you got me stumped. Never seen one of these!"

by Anonymousreply 94July 18, 2019 4:00 AM

Be a pussy.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95July 20, 2019 11:35 PM

Last time I watched it, the appraiser said about a pair of candlesticks: "They would be worth $30,000 if you hadn't stripped off the patina with Lemon Pledge."

by Anonymousreply 96July 20, 2019 11:47 PM

Patina!

by Anonymousreply 97July 20, 2019 11:50 PM

Patina is just another word for antique grime. Which, coincidentally, describes most of you bitches! But I love ya! We're family!

by Anonymousreply 98July 21, 2019 3:08 AM

Patina is not grime, it is a deliberate coating that is applied by the creator to an object, bronzes are treated with acids and heat to produce the special finishes. Tarnished silver is not a patina, you should never let silver build up tarnish. Furniture receives a particular finish by the maker, sun and age affect that finish, often bleaching out bright colors that had been applied, as in some Chippendale furniture which has turned a soft brown over the years but have had brightly colored marquetry originally.

by Anonymousreply 99July 21, 2019 3:42 AM

Sorry, 99, you need to get smart because the definition of patina is something that happens over time due to oxidation. Not a layer applied. Perhapsyou were thinking of polish?

Patina: a green or brown film on the surface of bronze or similar metals, produced by oxidation over a long period.

by Anonymousreply 100July 21, 2019 3:59 AM

Artificial patinas are applied to bronze using chemical solutions which react with the surface to form a thin layer of coloured corrosion products. Patinas can be transparent or opaque and are sometimes applied in a number of layers to produce widely varied effects. Patination has been used as a decorative technique on metals by many different cultures for thousands of years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101July 21, 2019 4:46 AM

I too was always intrigued by Suzanne Perrault's accent, so I did a google search on her some years ago. I can't find the source anymore (maybe it's been scrubbed off the internet), but I read at that time that she had a child or step-child who passed away several years back. Now I think of that tragedy when I see her. However, the fact that I can't find it now makes me wonder if I made that up in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 102July 21, 2019 4:58 AM

Here are some things I remember from watching this show:

A woman who thought she had a Faberge egg. You could tell by looking at it that the damned thing was NOT a Faberge egg; it was rather tacky looking. She paid $15,000 for it and was told it was only worth $5000, due to the precious and semi-precious materials it was made from.

A guy who thought he had a copy of Gone With The Wind (not a first edition) that had been signed by Margaret Mitchell. He paid $2500 for it (this was in the seventies) and was told that it was definitely NOT signed by Margaret Mitchell. She rarely signed copies of GWTW and it was not her handwriting. Obviously it was just a book inscribed to a friend and signed "Margaret." He was told the book worth a little over $2, which is to say, essentially worthless. I really felt bad for the guy. He was royally gypped.

Somebody brought in original figures from the "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" Rankin-Bass tv special. They were kept in an attic or something and were in mostly terrible condition, but were said to be worth a bundle, I can't remember how much. It made me mad that they weren't better taken care of.

by Anonymousreply 103July 21, 2019 5:00 AM

R7 The British version is insufferable because it's hosted by the ghastly Fiona Bruce.

She thinks she looks like Maureen O'Hara but she more closely resembles a Piranha.

She talks too much, plays dumb too much, hogs the camera too much and too frequently wears tights and thrusts out her mons Veneris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104July 21, 2019 5:06 AM

[quote]I too was always intrigued by Suzanne Perrault's accent

I think she's just affected.

by Anonymousreply 105July 21, 2019 6:25 AM

I've only watched a hand full of shows but I almost fell off my chair during one episode.

This guy brought in an American Indian blanket.

The appraiser was down right giddy over it. He then told the man it was worth $2.5 million dollars.

I thought the owner's knees were going to buckle.

by Anonymousreply 106July 21, 2019 6:34 AM

I'm an English Pedant and I think it beyond vulgar to value objects for their current resale value instead of their intrinsic historical/aesthetic worth.

by Anonymousreply 107July 21, 2019 7:19 AM

Suzanne Perrault has had two step-daughters who died. Suzanne is married to David Rago, another Roadshow appraiser, and both his daughters have died (one at 34 and the other at 37). If I'm not mistaken, one was a drug OD.

by Anonymousreply 108July 21, 2019 7:39 AM

I bet Suzanne's real fun to have around.

by Anonymousreply 109July 21, 2019 8:09 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110July 21, 2019 3:14 PM

[quote]Somebody brought in original figures from the "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" Rankin-Bass tv special.

I remember that R103! The lady seemed a bit indifferent to their intrinsic value and was more concerned about what they were worth. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 111July 21, 2019 4:04 PM

I love Fiona Bruce, the host of the British version.

by Anonymousreply 112July 21, 2019 4:11 PM

I remember it was a (relatively) young man, r111.

by Anonymousreply 113July 21, 2019 4:16 PM

[quote]I love Fiona Bruce, the host of the British version.

I do too. She's fantastic and deserves NO gay venom.

by Anonymousreply 114July 21, 2019 4:22 PM

R113, you are correct, it's a man!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115July 21, 2019 5:01 PM

I misremembered then.

by Anonymousreply 116July 21, 2019 5:37 PM

R114 Are you a Lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 117July 21, 2019 5:52 PM

No, I am not. I don't know what you're getting at.

She did a great show that you probably haven't seen on lousy BBC America.

Actually you can see some of it on YT (see link)

She's fantastic in it and so is handsome Philip Mould.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 21, 2019 5:58 PM

^ Parts of that show were fine but Mould tries to make everything so dramatic and the hawk-faced, myopic Fiona Bruce keeps sticking her head in front of the paintings.

by Anonymousreply 119July 21, 2019 6:04 PM

I posted this on one of our numerous grammar threads. The British appraisers use this weird subjunctive construction when making their appraisals. "I should have thought this desk would bring 2000 pounds at auction". To an American ear, that is a past tense subjunctive. We would say, "I think this might bring as much as $3000 at auction". Or, alternatively, "I would think you could get $3000 at auction for that". The British version sounds very affected to us, and also like an upper class "marker". I'm quite certain that very few of their British audience members use that construction.

I do love the historic sites that are used for the British shows. I'm always somewhat disappointed that the British shows don't have the Dogs Playing Cards on velvet that you can sometimes glimpse on the American version of the show....LOL

by Anonymousreply 120July 21, 2019 6:04 PM

They make quite a team!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121July 21, 2019 6:22 PM

Keane

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122July 21, 2019 6:40 PM

R121 You have chosen the most unflattering photo of Mr Mould and The Piranha-Woman.

by Anonymousreply 123July 21, 2019 11:32 PM

Find a better one then.

by Anonymousreply 124July 21, 2019 11:35 PM

Philip's one of the guys who's into scarves.

Not a fashion I admire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125July 21, 2019 11:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126July 21, 2019 11:53 PM

Any comments about little pocket bear Mark Walberg, the host?

by Anonymousreply 127July 21, 2019 11:56 PM

Ms. Perrault looks like the sort to insist the lights are off while making love.

by Anonymousreply 128July 22, 2019 12:28 AM

Sometimes I find Mark Walberg cute, sometimes not. Depends on what he's doing and camera angles. I do get a vibe that he could stay hard for hours and fuck you into a coma.

by Anonymousreply 129July 22, 2019 1:06 AM

Looks like he is posing with an Augustus John, R125.

by Anonymousreply 130July 22, 2019 3:17 AM

R130 He is smirking, trying to look cute, alongside an Augustus John.

by Anonymousreply 131July 22, 2019 3:46 AM

He should be slapped repeatedly and vicious for that silly pashmina, if nothing else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132July 22, 2019 11:16 AM

I HATE his pasmina!

by Anonymousreply 133July 22, 2019 11:50 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 22, 2019 11:51 AM

Mark Walberg is very cute. Nice and hairy too!

by Anonymousreply 135July 22, 2019 11:52 AM

Has an appraiser ever broken an item?

by Anonymousreply 136July 22, 2019 2:21 PM

They probably have but if it was an on-camera tragedy I'd be willing to guess they made sure the segment was cut from the final show.

by Anonymousreply 137July 22, 2019 5:04 PM

[quote]Has an appraiser ever broken an item?

I don't know about the Antiques Road Show, but Judge Wapner accidentally dropped and smashed a valuable antique clock on the original People's Court. He became very flustered, then said something like, 'I guess the case is over," adding that the People's Court "just bought a clock."

by Anonymousreply 138July 22, 2019 5:16 PM

Love Judge Wapner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139July 22, 2019 5:27 PM

Jesus K. Rist I just saw that Doug Llewelyn is 80 years old. Damn how time flies.

by Anonymousreply 140July 22, 2019 5:34 PM

And apparently he's nearly a midget. He's only 5'2" tall.

by Anonymousreply 141July 22, 2019 5:35 PM

Harvey's the midget.

by Anonymousreply 142July 22, 2019 11:26 PM

What has Mark W. done other than AR? Showed him in one episode gayly skipping with another man. He's not on every show even though he does the voiceovers. He's so hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2019 1:55 AM

So what antiques have kept their value? Art? Celebrity items? Anything with gold? It does seem as if the British antiques are doing better than in America.

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2019 3:30 PM

Bunifa.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145September 9, 2019 7:32 PM

Mark Walberg is 57 and married to a woman. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 146September 9, 2019 10:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 10, 2019 1:05 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148September 10, 2019 1:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!