Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cannon Films

So many of their films were terrible but somehow when I saw the Cannon logo I wanted to see the latest release from Cannon.

My favourite remains Salsa: The Motion Picture!

What's your favourite Cannon movie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2019 7:20 PM

The Last American Virgin. Used to play on HBO when I was a teen.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2019 5:57 AM

"The Happy Hooker Goes to Washington" (currently on Amazon Prime!), with Joey Heatherton, George Hamilton, Rip Taylor, Larry Storch, Billy Barty, Edy Williams and many more down-and-out 1970s "stars." Bliss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2019 6:07 AM

Lifeforce. Naked space vampires!

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2019 6:07 AM

Can there be any doubt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2019 6:08 AM

Any Chuck Norris movie.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2019 6:13 AM

The wonderfully sleazy 52 Pick-Up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2019 6:18 AM

The Go Go Boys!

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2019 6:24 AM

Watch the documentary, it’s brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2019 9:48 AM

dEATH wISH 3 or is it Death Wish 4?

The one where Counselor Troi is raped and "expires" at the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2019 11:41 AM

You beat me to it, R6 — love “52 Pick-Up”!

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2019 12:01 PM

Didn't they make that awful movie with Sophia Loren and Ava Gardner and Burt Lancaster and who-knows-who-else....about a train? Oh, and Martin Sheen! Man, that thing blew....I'd probably watch it again, it was so cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2019 12:34 PM

R11 The film you are referring to is The Cassandra Crossing and it was not made by Cannon.

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2019 12:42 PM

Oddly enough I love most of the Cannon films. Maybe because I grew up watching them.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2019 1:22 PM

I was looking some of the movies listed online and I thought what an awful collection of films. (One of them - Aliens from L.A. - was later mocked on MST3K.)

What made it stranger was the fact that there would occasionally be an odd highbrow film of sorts - like the Dutch movie The Assault (a Best Foregin Film Oscar winner) and a film version of Verdi's Otello by Franco Zeffirelli.

On the other hand I will admit that they did give us Nicholas Clay's ass in Lady Chatterly's Lover.

So there's that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2019 1:29 PM

I was glad they gave us Dolph as He-Man.

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2019 2:31 PM

Breakin'... and Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo!!

by Anonymousreply 16July 11, 2019 3:03 AM

As much as I hate that Chuck Norris is become an anti-gay right wing loon, The Delta Force is still one of my favorite movies. And it has Lee Marvin.

by Anonymousreply 17July 11, 2019 11:55 AM

R17 The first 45 minutes is a masterwork for all the wrong reasons but I simply can't resist Shelley Winters, Laine Kazan & Hanna Schygulla. Poor Hanna forced to sort through passports and pick out the Israeli ones "I can't, I'm German, the selections" is a so bad its good classic moment. Once the female hostages have been freed it becomes a bore.

by Anonymousreply 18July 11, 2019 1:39 PM

A classic, and winner of six Golden Raspberry awards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 11, 2019 5:39 PM

Some other highbrow films they financed inbetween all the trash were Cassavetes' Love Streams and Godard's King Lear (they supposedly signed the deal on a napkin at Cannes)

by Anonymousreply 20July 11, 2019 5:44 PM

Golan-Globus really loved movies.

They did a lot of shit movies but they were genuine shitty movies.

by Anonymousreply 21July 12, 2019 5:38 AM

They did Superman IV: The Quest for Peace on the cheap - and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 22July 12, 2019 6:07 AM

They could do some really interesting films like Street Smart (Morgan Freeman's first Oscar nomination), Barfly (which should have gotten both Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway Oscar noms), and Shy People.

by Anonymousreply 23July 12, 2019 6:09 AM

Cannon made some crap films to finance the art films. Sometimes it worked. I remember the crap films more than the art films.

by Anonymousreply 24July 12, 2019 12:38 PM

I think I still get residuals on all those movies.

by Anonymousreply 25July 12, 2019 2:10 PM

They even roped in Katharine Hepburn for a movie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 12, 2019 2:12 PM

Oh god. I've been sucked into a Wikipedia spiral and I'm learning so much useless stuff.

Like, the godawful Alien From L.A. somehow got a sequel.

And Golan-Globus did some Agatha Christie adaptations.

And The Apple is a real movie and not something I imagined when I had malaria.

by Anonymousreply 27July 12, 2019 2:27 PM

I haven't read most of the posts on this thread, but wasn't Angel a Cannon Film? I remember being sort of vaguely inspired by it as a teenager back in the day because I was teased by all my friends for being such a goody-too shoes. I used to tell the 'mean' girls at school that they might think I was a nerd but I was secretly a hooker downtown. I grew up in Davenport so it wasn't exactly Hollywood Boolevard but it had the right effect.. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 28July 12, 2019 2:47 PM

No, Angel was a New World film.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2019 4:23 PM

New World, Cannon and Golan-Globus produced some fun movies, back when movies were fun.

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2019 4:25 PM

Where can I find a list of Cannon films?

by Anonymousreply 31July 17, 2019 2:20 AM

R31 There's a wikipedia list.

by Anonymousreply 32July 17, 2019 11:55 AM

R28 is a whore, a lascivious whore, and an inspiration to us all!

by Anonymousreply 33July 17, 2019 10:43 PM

I'm watching the documentary tonight! Hoping for much cheese, blood, and tits.

by Anonymousreply 34July 18, 2019 11:29 PM

I watched the documentary this weekend and really enjoyed it. Definitely recommend it if you're interested in movie making or just remember any Cannon films. (I remember seeing Superman IV in the theatre and being very upset, as only a kid can, that they ruined Superman.)

Biggest surprise was the fondness so many of the interviewees seemed to have for Golan & Globus. An exasperated fondness, like they were annoying relatives, but a fondness nonetheless. Even people who got dicked around often seemed more bemused than bitter.

Of course Cannon made hundreds of films over 15 years so the doc is necessarily glib and breezy. It's a shame more voices couldn't be represented. The biggest omission was Golan and Globus themselves. In characteristic fashion, when they learned someone was making a documentary about them they decided to make their own first. So I've got to hunt that down now, and maybe watch or rewatch some old Cannon "gems."

by Anonymousreply 35July 22, 2019 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!