Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you trust a surgeon who repeatedly said "axe" instead of "ask"?

AND he had a mustache!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2019 1:33 PM

OP is a racist

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2019 10:46 PM

No, OP. I would not allow someone who thinks "axe" is any other thing than a tool to operate on me. Racist or not, lines must be drawn.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2019 10:51 PM

He wasn't black, r1. YOU may be racist for assuming that only black people say "axe" though. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2019 10:53 PM

I just typed the same thing r3.. I've known white people who have said it that way, english was not their first language. Really r1 who is the racist here?

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2019 10:56 PM

I mustache you a question

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2019 1:41 PM

I would trust a surgeon with a mustache. Especially if the mustache and facial hair is neat, clean and even. That would demonstrate to me the doctor's attentiveness to detail and meticulousness.

I would NOT trust a surgeon who says "AXE". That demonstrates, at least to me, that the doctor is either unaware / oblivious to how he/she sounds. It could also demonstrate the doctor doesn't really care about attention to detail.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2019 10:58 AM

When I first read quickly this I thought OP said would you trust a surgeon who said he would use an AX.

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2019 10:59 AM

A surgeon just needs good hands.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2019 11:01 AM

Is he a tree surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2019 11:02 AM

“Ax” was the most likely original pronunciation in the British Isles, and eventually as the language spread, some people “mispronounced” the word as “ask,” and then when the language was standardized that became the norm. There is nothing about the pronunciation of this word that suggests a person’s intelligence or abilities one way or another, and yes, this is a race-baiting racist thread.

“”It’s is not a new thing; it is not a mistake," he says. "It is a regular feature of English."

Sheidlower says you can trace "ax" back to the eighth century. The pronunciation derives from the Old English verb "acsian." Chaucer used "ax." It's in the first complete English translation of the Bible (the Coverdale Bible): " 'Axe and it shall be given.'”

Some cattiness here is tolerable, but being proudly racist belongs over in the Breitbart.com or WhiteHouse.gov comments section, not here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 20, 2019 11:07 AM

Why does the OP want to be taken seriously?

by Anonymousreply 11December 20, 2019 11:10 AM

The word is spelled A S K, not A K S

by Anonymousreply 12December 20, 2019 11:25 AM

I've heard lots of Italian Americans in the northeast use axe for ask. I always assumed they just came from very uneducated families. But if that is your heritage and you get out in the world and don't realize how lowbrow it makes you sound and work to stop doing it then you're just too dumb for words.

by Anonymousreply 13December 20, 2019 11:25 AM

I had a professor at university who taught modern poetry. He was the most amazing, charismatic professor from whom I ever took a course. Each class with him was an experience. He was originally from Trinidad, and he said "axe" instead of "ask." I thought it was charming.

by Anonymousreply 14December 20, 2019 11:41 AM

It’s derived from “acsian.”

AX-ee-in.

Not ASK-ee-in.

by Anonymousreply 15December 20, 2019 11:43 AM

is he black?

by Anonymousreply 16December 20, 2019 11:43 AM

Actually it's simply the effect of being raised with a certain type of accent. Their tongues don't operate the way many other's tongues operate when they form words and due to the force of habit it's very hard for them to form certain sounds the normal way.

by Anonymousreply 17December 20, 2019 1:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!