Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Was Fred Mertz Always So Worried About Losing A Tenant?

It was NYC. Even back then they had rent control, so it must've been a hot market.

The Ricardos paid $125 month to Ethel and Fred.

He had at least six apartments

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 12:43 AM

Fred was a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 1July 13, 2019 8:35 AM

He had a coke habit to feed.

by Anonymousreply 2July 13, 2019 8:48 AM

He has to pay Ethel’s food bill.

by Anonymousreply 3July 13, 2019 8:56 AM

He was saving up for transition surgery.

by Anonymousreply 4July 13, 2019 9:09 AM

Why would anybody want to live in that building?

by Anonymousreply 5July 13, 2019 9:55 AM

Sides of beef were barbecued in the furnace. There were false fire alarms followed by falling vats of Henna Rinse. TVs were shoved off balconies. Tenants ran their own food processing plants in apartment kitchens. Floor shows and vaudeville routines were constantly rehearsed in the flats. Contraband pets were stashed in pianos. Superhero clad zanies stalked window ledges. The list of code violations— health, building and otherwise— goes on.

by Anonymousreply 6July 13, 2019 11:10 AM

Wikipedia is our friend. End of the Fred thread.

Your're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 13, 2019 12:00 PM

Sorry. If you have trouble understanding why Fred was so worried about losing a tenant, let me tell you. The character of Fred was cheap and worried about money.

by Anonymousreply 8July 13, 2019 12:04 PM

r8

It was NYC he was a rich landlord, why would he be worried? Fred wasn't so cheap, he sprang for Ethel's trip to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 9July 13, 2019 4:16 PM

Because their brownstone at 623 E 68th street was in the middle of the East River. It wasn't in an ideal location, so getting tenants was tough.

by Anonymousreply 10July 13, 2019 4:30 PM

“I suddenly remembered that the mortgage to the building was in MY name!”

by Anonymousreply 11July 13, 2019 7:59 PM

I wonder if this blackout was the work of Sticky Fingers Sal & Pick Pocket Pearl!

by Anonymousreply 12July 14, 2019 8:36 AM

r6 is the 1953 version of Yelp.

by Anonymousreply 13July 14, 2019 9:56 PM

r13 Did I mention the Connecticut Airbnb I stayed in with the live chickens in the closet, wax tulips in the garden and the barbecue grill that looked like a dropped pie?

by Anonymousreply 14July 14, 2019 11:02 PM

Remember when Fred threw out Dr Bellows for being a homosexual?

by Anonymousreply 15July 15, 2019 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!