Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Amy McGrath announces bid to take on Mitch McConnell in 2020

[quote]Kentucky Democrat Amy McGrath, a former fighter pilot who rose to national prominence last year in her failed campaign for Congress against Republican Andy Barr, is turning her sights on a new target: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

[quote]McGrath's candidacy marks a significant recruiting coup for Democrats. She emerged as an unlikely fundraising juggernaut in her congressional race, bringing in millions of dollars after her campaign released a biographical video that went viral, and becoming a Democratic celebrity in the process.

[quote]In the race against McConnell, McGrath appears poised to run as a moderate seeking to break the partisan gridlock in Washington. In an interview Tuesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," McGrath said she had watched the Democratic presidential debate and was concerned that many candidates were positioning themselves too far to the left.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2019 12:30 PM

Why doesn't Kentucky know that this guy is a monster? He is nothing but sewage.

by Anonymousreply 1July 9, 2019 11:53 AM

He has an R next to his name r1. That's all that matters.

by Anonymousreply 2July 9, 2019 11:59 AM

R2 has it.

It's very difficult for Democrats to win statewide races in red states these days. That's why 3 red state Democratic Senators went down last November -- McCaskill (Missouri), Heitkamp (North Dakota) and Donnelly (Indiana). And Manchin (West Virginia) had a close call. Only Tester (Montana) increased his support, despite being targeted by Trump. Tester has been able to connect with Montana voters as an average Joe, man of the people, etc. He works on his farm, drives an old truck, etc.

Most other red state Democrats are having trouble. Even high-quality candidates like former 2-term Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen wasn't able to beat Marsha Blackburn last year.

by Anonymousreply 3July 9, 2019 12:07 PM

I hope she (somehow) kicks his ass

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2019 12:14 PM

Her announcement video:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2019 12:39 PM

Let's all hope that Madame Fighter Pilot hits her target this time.

She's undoubtedly killed before. Pray that she is now able to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2019 1:06 PM

She's straight??!!!

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2019 1:16 PM

THIS is a straight woman??!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2019 1:17 PM

Her husband is a cutie.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2019 1:27 PM

I hope she wins. Mc Connell has to go.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2019 1:32 PM

Let's hope she has him in her sights.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2019 1:39 PM

Winning the Senate back is more important than even the White House.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2019 1:48 PM

Kentucky is a much redder state now than it was a couple decades ago.

Back in the 1990's, Bill Clinton was able to win Kentucky in 1992 & 1996 in his 2 Presidential victories.

And in 1992, Democratic Senator Wendell Ford won his fourth & final term.

Since 2000, the state has increasingly trended Republican.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2019 1:50 PM

[quote]She's straight??!!!

I saw her on “Morning Joe”, and was shocked to hear her start talking about a husband.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2019 1:50 PM

She seems like she’ll be a centrist, who probably won’t be too much help to Democrats in the Senate.

But still, getting rid of McConnell will be well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2019 1:52 PM

Getting rid of Mitch McConnell is all she needs to do to justify her election. It would be nice if she did more, but her election is justified by McConnell's demise.

No one thinks she's AOC.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2019 2:03 PM

Not every Democrat likes AOC, R16. I don't.

Back on topic, it would be so, so sweet if a woman took Mitch down! I would throw a damn party, from states and states away in celebration.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2019 2:05 PM

I love AOC.

But back on topic, how can Mitch win when his coal masters are closing their mines left and right? Isn't that alone sufficient evidence to those deplorables in Kentucky that something isn't working?

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2019 2:09 PM

Is every politician from Kentucky closeted in plain sight??

McConnell is obviously married to a beard.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2019 2:12 PM

R18, it's because Kentucky has become a very, very red state.

Look at the huge change between the time that Bill Clinton ran for President in the 1990's compared to when Hillary ran 3 years ago.

Bill Clinton was able to *win* Kentucky in 1992 & 1996. By contrast, Hillary lost Kentucky to Trump in 2016 by *30 points*.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2019 2:14 PM

LOL, R18. Let us hope so! Enough of them who vote, at least, that she gets more votes than he does.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2019 2:15 PM

Mitch will cheat to win and he’ll use foreign money and tampering to do it.

This isn’t about Kentucky or its citizens; this is about a profit opportunity for a handful of people and they will not be thwarted by democracy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2019 2:16 PM

r22 That photo made me physically shudder. Not even Trump does that to me.

by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2019 2:19 PM

Healthcare, kids in cages, oligarchy tax cuts, or not too far left.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2019 2:32 PM

r22 Does he need to cheat to win against a lesbian-adjacent Democrat in Kentucky?

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2019 3:21 PM

Shes gonna be one of those “we have to do what the Republicans want” Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2019 3:58 PM

If the Republicans try to use a "she's a lesbian" theme then it's only fair that someone brings up Mitch's curious release from the Army.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2019 4:39 PM

[quote]If the Republicans try to use a "she's a lesbian" theme

Because this isn’t a fake relationship at all...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2019 4:48 PM

This will be the gayest election since Jim McGreevey ran against Christine Todd Whitman

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2019 5:33 PM

She looks like a dude!

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2019 6:05 PM

Could Joe Biden please give about half of his plastic surgery to Mitch McConnell?

Biden has too much. McConnell has far too little.

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2019 6:19 PM

Maybe a head transplant? That's about the only thing that could help Mitch.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2019 6:27 PM

Hubby has BDF. Plenty of tomboys marry hot guys.

And KY, like WVa has gone deep red because the GOP targeted organized labor, and the Democrats failed to go all out to protect unions. 45 years of union busting and disinformation in the North/Midwest, and "right to work" legislation in Southern states, and you get what we have today--stagnant wages, lack of worker protections, wholesale hiring of illegal immigrants at below subsistence pay, worker safety violations...and an entire class of poor, uneducated zombie Republican voters.

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2019 6:36 PM

Nate Silver:

[quote]I think McGrath has a shot.

[quote]McConnell has the worst approval ratings in the country. He will probably win on the basis of partisanship, especially with Trump turnout. But it's not a foregone conclusion and his status as party leader could give him problems that a "generic" Republican might not have.

[quote]It's gonna be one of those races where the polling could show a close race, but the fundamentals strongly favor McConnell and McConnell probably wins. But if you're not providing for, say, a 15-20% chance of McGrath winning, your mental and/or statistical model is overconfident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2019 10:12 PM

She raised $2.5 million in a day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2019 4:12 PM

I followed her first race closely, listen to her interview on Pod Save America. I was immediately sold, she’s actually a real leader and a true good guy. Yes, my politics are left of her, but she would be an incredible win for us. And ally. She did break through the zombieness, she just needs to have some luck this time.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2019 6:23 PM

I pray this woman wins and unseats that miserable old fuck McConnell, but aside from how red KY is these days, states benefit from having a powerful, senior senator (which is in part why MA kept re-electing Kennedy, in spite of his drunken antics). I think even KY hates Mitch, but he's the devil they know & I'm sure he's done a lot to retain what business & infrastructure KY has

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2019 6:29 PM

That's true, R37. It's difficult to take down a long-term Senator, and particularly a powerful or high-profile one.

It's even more difficult to take down a Majority Leader. But it has happened, such as when the Republicans took down Democratic Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota. But that is the exception to the rule.

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2019 7:26 PM

The Dems need to put everything they have behind her to take this clown out.

by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2019 7:37 PM

[quote]And KY, like WVa has gone deep red because the GOP targeted organized labor, and the Democrats failed to go all out to protect unions.

Uhm, no. Actual evidence suggests UNION MEMBERS don't support unions, and due to ignorance and racism EAGERLY support UNION BUSTING Republicans more and more in every election.

Don't cry for fucking teachers, more than a quarter of UNION school teachers voted Trump! "WAAAAHHHH! I'm underpaid!" Organized labor is on the rocks because union members are often SHIT HEADS!

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2019 7:53 PM

If McGrath wants to win in Kentucky, she might want to pick up some strategies from Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT). Tester was the only red state Democratic Senator to increase his support in 2018, despite being targeted by Trump.

Tester has been able to connect with Montana voters as an average Joe and a man of the people because he works on his farm and drives an old truck. There's a good article here from last November on how he outmaneuvered Trump & the Republicans in Montana:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2019 8:11 PM

I know where I am going to be next summer. Over the river and knocking on doors for Amy. And I already have three others to help.

The trick is voter turnout in Lexington, Louisville, Richmond and Frankfort. Drown out those deplorables once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 42July 10, 2019 8:46 PM

Claude Taylor, who worked in the Clinton White House, has this billboard up in Kentucky:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43July 15, 2019 9:54 PM

Fucking GO, girl!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 44July 15, 2019 9:59 PM

This should add fuel to McGrath's campaign. Where is McTurtle getting his money?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 17, 2019 12:12 PM

Rooting for her

by Anonymousreply 46July 17, 2019 5:27 PM

My state is a lost cause, so I'm planning on donating to key Democratic senatorial bids across the country, along with volunteering to send out "remember to vote" postcards and such. I've been paying attention to McGrath because of this and I think she's moderate enough to have a shot. But unseating McConnell will be a miracle.

by Anonymousreply 47July 17, 2019 6:28 PM

McTurtle is arguably far more evil than Trump.

While Trump is motivated wholly by ego and self-interest, McTurtle is an idealogue who is looking to advance a radical right wing agenda regardless of who he has to take out.

He has no soul.

by Anonymousreply 48July 17, 2019 6:33 PM

The best chance at getting rid of McTurtle will be for him to die.

by Anonymousreply 49July 17, 2019 7:16 PM

The problem is that Republicans seem to live for so long.

I keep hoping that Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa will die -- he's older than Mitch and well into his 80's and is still here.

And so are a bunch of other older Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 50July 17, 2019 9:55 PM

Exactly, R50. If life expectancies in the Founding Fathers time were in the 80s and 90s, they probably would have included term limits in the Constitution. They're really needed now.

by Anonymousreply 51July 18, 2019 12:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!