Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do The Right Thing: 30 Years Later

I know Spike Lee can be polarizing on here but I've always loved this film and it's hard to believe it's 30 years old.

Great cinematography (by Ernest Dickerson), a terrific soundtrack and an excellent performance by Danny Aiello (who deservedly received a Best Supporting Actor nomination, one of the film's only TWO Oscar nominations) as well as strong performances by Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee and Bill Nunn in the iconic role of Radio Raheem.

For its 30th anniversary, Spike Lee held a block party in Brooklyn, its being rereleased in cinemas and Criterion is releasing a new Blu-ray version.

What did you think of the film? Should it have been nominated for Best Picture and Best Director?

What are your memories of this film and have you seen it lately?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 12:41 AM

I remember Rosie Perez dancing to "Fight the Powers That Be" at the beginning of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2019 10:55 PM

Love it. I only saw it for the first time 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2019 11:25 PM

Great movie. Should have at least been nominated for best picture that year.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2019 11:28 PM

White Texas chick and I found DTRT incredibly compelling and moving. Definitely his best movie, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 4July 9, 2019 1:19 AM

He was a real prick to someone I know in retail not a shop queen the district manager but he got robbed he definitely should’ve been nominated and won the Oscar for that.

by Anonymousreply 5July 9, 2019 1:32 AM

[quote]What did you think of the film? Should it have been nominated for Best Picture and Best Director?

Absolutely not! It was an interesting social commentary. And it had some funny scenes here and there. But the whole idea that it was a "great" film or that it was "robbed" of an Oscar nomination is ridiculous. Makes me wonder, would it have gotten that type of "it was robbed of an Oscar" reaction if the director were white??? People probably would've just been like "it was a good movie" and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 6July 9, 2019 1:39 AM

Like most of his films, he tries to do a bit too much, but it's definitely one of his best and was more provocative and ambitious than most of the movies that reached the cineplex that year. The cinematography is fantastic. Oddly, the best written characters were the Italian Americans. I agree that Aiello really deserved his Oscar. OTOH, Lee wasted people like Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee who were given one dimensional roles. Giancarlo Esposito is a standout because his role was so much better written than many others.

by Anonymousreply 7July 9, 2019 1:40 AM

I mean, this is the year Driving Miss Daisy won. It was definitely better than that. I still remember Kim Basinger giving it a drunken shout out when she was presenting something.

by Anonymousreply 8July 9, 2019 1:44 AM

It's weird...I saw this movie in a small town in Sweden when it came out. Packed with the whitest of white people. But they loved it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 9, 2019 1:57 AM

I haven't seen it lately--or ever. I did see Car Wash for the first time a couple of years ago. Watching Repo Man (again) now.

by Anonymousreply 10July 9, 2019 1:57 AM

I always thought Joie Lee was very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 11July 9, 2019 2:48 AM

Of course that movie should’ve won an Oscar. And it didn’t.

I laugh at pricks on DL who try to tell people what sort of taste in art they should have.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2019 3:32 AM

Shite

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2019 5:33 AM

Ossie Davis and Rubie Lee were supposed to be one-dimensional characters, in my opinion. Their purpose was to be the Greek Chorus of the neighborhood and story.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2019 12:43 PM

[quote]Makes me wonder, would it have gotten that type of "it was robbed of an Oscar" reaction if the director were white???

Sorry, but a white director wouln't know how to write that particular movie.

For me one of the things that's special about the film is how it enables you to get a sense of how all of the characters feel what's happening all around them, whether you agree with them or not.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2019 12:53 PM

That's a good point r15. You totally feel Mookie's rage but totally understand Sal and his devastation over his restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2019 5:28 AM

That piece of shit, Driving Miss Daisy, won an Oscar? For "Best Picture? Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2019 6:09 AM

R17 No, Miss Daisy was actually a good movie. Good drama with really good performances. Miss Daisy winds up with Alzheimer's or dementia at the end. Maybe not "the best" movie of the year, but it was a good winner regardless.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2019 6:12 PM

I haven't seen it, tell me why I should. What's great about it?

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2019 6:28 PM

The Greek Chorus argument doesn't hold up. They were wasted in parts with bad writing. Other than Giancarlo Esposito, the black actors had the weakest writing and direction.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2019 7:59 PM

R20 I think the point was to emphasize white racism.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2019 8:43 PM

[quote] I remember Rosie Perez dancing to "Fight the Powers That Be" at the beginning of the movie.

That and the three old men in lawn chairs on the sidewalk acting like a Greek chorus are by far the best things in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2019 8:47 PM

Danny Aiello was excellent in this movie. A much deserved Supporting Actor nomination.

Spike's sister Joie Lee was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 23July 23, 2019 12:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!