Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A movie that YOU think has an odd ending

And why

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2019 7:20 PM

Signs-the resolution makes no sense for either the alien story line or the car accident story line.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2019 2:57 AM

Rebel Without a Cause- why is the ending after Sal Mineo dies so happy? Jim introduces Natalie Wood to his parents, they smile and he walks away looking happy with his new girlfriend.

I liked the film, hated the ending.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2019 3:05 AM

I’m still bitter about Jamie’s ending on Game of Thrones, does that count?

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2019 3:20 AM

Nothing in GOT happened after Brienne was knighted. It was all just Tyrion's drunken dream.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2019 3:26 AM

SPOILER ALERT

Why did Jimmy leave Montgomery behind at the end of The Last Black Man in San Francisco?

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2019 6:24 AM

R2 Viewers prefer a happy ending. Or so the conventional wisdom in Hollywood goes.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2019 7:04 AM

Anna played with Holly and dumped him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2019 7:14 AM

Yet another reason to hate Saturday Night Fucking Fever.

After all of the doping and drinking and fighting and screwing and cursing and aimlessness and other debauchery, it ends with, "I've suddenly become Mr. Sensitivity, let's be friends?"

Vomit.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2019 7:48 AM

Titanic — James Cameron kept things so ambiguous that I had absolutely no idea where the story was heading.

You can imagine my shock when [italic]that[/italic] happened.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2019 8:00 AM

Fame. The movie just stops.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2019 5:13 PM

I don’t understand how masses of people think The Notebook is romantic when the ending is a horror film about dementia and Alzheimer’s.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2019 5:15 PM

Not odd, but unsatisfying: Fatal Attraction. I wanted G to kill Michael Douglas.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2019 5:19 PM

What do you not understand about Signs, R1? I just watched it again this morning. It's a very underrated movie. There are six spot on performances and has a touching and much deeper underlying theme than any other alien invasion story.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2019 5:25 PM

I hate the ending to Fifty Shades of Grey

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2019 5:55 PM

I think many of the great classic movies had unsatisfactory or unresolved endings.

Lawrence of Arabia , GWTW, Dr Zhivago

by Anonymousreply 15July 8, 2019 2:54 AM

R14, everyone else hates the beginning, middle, AND ending of Fifty Shades of Grey.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2019 3:35 AM

no no no r10,

Fame ends with graduation just like high school does. And the dance number and why the music cuts off is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 17July 8, 2019 3:51 AM

Field of Dreams. They should have left it with Ray and his father playing catch. Instead they show thousands of cars coming down the road. The dead guys had already gone back to the corn for the night.

by Anonymousreply 18July 8, 2019 4:01 AM

Wasn't Shaw for Eliza marrying Freddie and not Higgins at the end of the film versions of Pygmalion?

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2019 4:08 AM

Unbreakable ended in an odd way. You got a post-script to read and that was it. Everything happened off screen.

I didn't see Glass but I heard it ended very stupidly. Is M. Night Shamadingdong in movie prison again?

by Anonymousreply 20July 8, 2019 4:11 AM

"The Time Machine" (2002) -- one of the strangest films I'd ever seen in a movie theater.

by Anonymousreply 21July 8, 2019 4:21 AM

I was just about to list "Signs" but I see that R1 beat me to it. The ending, I felt, was pretty lame, given how engrossing and ominous the movie was until those last 10 minutes or so. But that's Shyamalan for you, so I was actually stupid for expecting something else than his usual facile cop-outs.

by Anonymousreply 22July 8, 2019 4:53 AM

Psycho. The explanatory ending.

by Anonymousreply 23July 8, 2019 6:52 AM

No Country for Old Men. I read the book, then saw the film. The film had almost nothing to do with the book, except for character studies. The entire film, including the ending, was odd.

by Anonymousreply 24July 8, 2019 7:09 AM

When M gives you a happy ending.

by Anonymousreply 25July 8, 2019 4:49 PM

The whole ending to Wizard of Oz was a cluster fucker.

Like Dorothy would not have believed the Good Witch if she told her to click her heels.

Like that bitch Dorothy singling the Scarecrow out as her favorite

What happened to Toto? Didn't Miss Gulch have him killed?

by Anonymousreply 26July 8, 2019 4:53 PM

I agree with R9.

There’s no way he should’ve had the ship sink. That was dumb.

by Anonymousreply 27July 8, 2019 5:05 PM

Dawson's Fifty Load Weekend. Why fifty? It was never explained. It’s almost like they came up with the title first and then crafted a plot to fit it. This is why I hate the studio system.

by Anonymousreply 28July 8, 2019 5:24 PM

I always felt Gypsy had an awful final coda with mother and daughter walking off into the sunset as if everything was a-ok. I was pleased to see that Patti LuPone revival where Rose tells Gypsy all about her newest dream and Gypsy laughs in her face, walks away, leaving Rose alone. It was brutal and cold, but a much more satisfying ending. A character like Rose deserved it for everything she put those poor kids through.

Magnolia also has a terrible ending. Why is everyone lipsyncing to the same song and why is it raining frogs? Up until that point, I liked the movie, but that was ridiculous. It's like they couldn't figure out an ending and where drunk one night with that song playing in the background and they went "ding! That's it!" and wrote that bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 29July 8, 2019 5:38 PM

Grease was awful, when it the Rizzo was seen getting a senior discount for tickets at the carnaval and Danny said "Let's all say goodbye to Mr Kotter"

by Anonymousreply 30July 8, 2019 5:44 PM

I hated the ending of Grease when Sandy and Danny's car suddenly took flight

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2019 10:51 PM

R31 my mother told me, age 6 when Grease was released, that they had died and were driving to Heaven!

by Anonymousreply 32July 10, 2019 10:56 PM

"Grease" was sanitized and sugar-coated in order to be more palatable to a young, dumb audience. The writers of the play were aghast at how stupid and juvenile the movie version was.

by Anonymousreply 33July 10, 2019 11:01 PM

Victor/Victoria. She wants to stop pretending to be a man in her cabaret show and comes out dressed like a woman to watch Toddy do her Shady Dame from Seville number. It is obvious it is not Victor but the audience loves it - God knows why, because it is painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 34July 10, 2019 11:20 PM

Thelma & Louise ends in a double suicide. A sad climax.

by Anonymousreply 35July 10, 2019 11:25 PM

I hate the whole movie but when Jenny returns and tells Forrest Gump she's dying and here's our son she's basically saying, he's your problem now. If he wasn't such a retard he would have told her to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 36July 10, 2019 11:26 PM

R12 I believe in the original ending she does kill him but it tested badly so they changed it.

by Anonymousreply 37July 10, 2019 11:28 PM

The whole movie Myra Breckinridge was weird as fuck, but the ending was a complete letdown: Myron was only dreaming he was Myra

by Anonymousreply 38July 10, 2019 11:29 PM

The original ending of Fatal Attraction involved Glenn Close killing herself by slitting her throat with the same knife that Michael Douglas had touched earlier, which makes the police come to him and take him in for questioning. He's taken away and Anne Archer discovers the creepy ass tape message Close left Douglas and rushes out to use it to prove his innocence. A more realistic ending probably, but there's definitely something delicious about the crowd pleasing re-shoot they ended up with. Anne Archer still gets to save the day at least.

by Anonymousreply 39July 10, 2019 11:34 PM

"Thelma & Louise ends in a double suicide. A sad climax."

It was a great ending. I thought it ended perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 40July 10, 2019 11:39 PM

Thelma and Louise has the most beautiful outlaw ending. Gorgeous slow motion, the dust flying, Harvey Keitel running, the plaintive electric guitar swelling, a beautifully exchanged look of love and bravery - the sky. I loved it too.

I dislike the ending of Psycho very much. It really dents the masterpiece that precedes it.

Requiem For A Dream has a hellacious ending. Very effective, but too cruel.

by Anonymousreply 41July 10, 2019 11:53 PM

spam posted by ip address 5.226.139.164 removed.

by Anonymousreply 42July 11, 2019 12:11 AM

Conspiracy Theory or as I prefer to call it “A Lunch Date with Mel Gibson”. Sure, Julia and Mel fall in love, uncover the bigget secret in America and merrily kill off the secret agents while singing “Can’t Keep My Eyes Off Of You”.

by Anonymousreply 43July 11, 2019 12:24 AM

[quote]I think many of the great classic movies had unsatisfactory or unresolved endings. Lawrence of Arabia , GWTW, Dr Zhivago

Lawrence is dead at the end. Where else could the story have gone?

by Anonymousreply 44July 11, 2019 12:27 AM

Steel Magnolias. So M’Lynn with her one remaining kidney has to raise that grandson that selfish Shelby left behind? Well I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 45July 11, 2019 12:39 AM

North by Northwest

Great film. But ending was too abrupt.

One minute the two of them are dangling from Mount Rushmore, by four crushed fingers, a thousand feet above death, help a tortuous climb away; and twenty seconds later it’s smiling Strangers On A Train.

by Anonymousreply 46July 11, 2019 12:45 AM

Didn't "Schindler's LIst" end with Liam Neeson as Schindler blubbering "I could have got more out. I could have got more. I don't know. If I'd just... I could have got more. If I'd made more money... I threw away so much money. You have no idea. If I'd just...I didn't do enough!" And on and on like that. It was so...STUPID. And of course it didn't happen, it was just a figment of Steven Spielberg's imagination. It was so jarring and saccharine.

by Anonymousreply 47July 11, 2019 1:01 AM

The Children's Hour. The ending is supposed to be ambiguous I guess. Audrey walks off alone, but James Garner is ready to follow.

R29 Magnolia is the single worst piece of pretentious crap I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 48July 11, 2019 1:02 AM

No, that's not how Schindler's List ends. It ends simply and movingly. Perfectly. It's a truly great film.

by Anonymousreply 49July 11, 2019 1:07 AM

The scene you mention is in the film, but it ends like this R47.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 11, 2019 1:13 AM

"No, that's not how Schindler's List ends. It ends simply and movingly. Perfectly. It's a truly great film."

No, it's not. It's overrated as hell. Pure schmaltz, just like Spielberg's movies tend to be.

by Anonymousreply 51July 11, 2019 1:14 AM

Hello, Dolly!

It is impossible to believe anyone would marry Walter Matthau.

by Anonymousreply 52July 11, 2019 1:16 AM

I knew you weren't worth the time, but I answered you anyway R47, R51. Have a good evening.

by Anonymousreply 53July 11, 2019 1:18 AM

Just My Luck, the ill-fated 2006 Lindsay Lohan/Chris Pine vehicle. The whole premise is that the luck is transferred between them every time they kiss, and the ending is the two making out as their luck get constantly switched around. So, every time they kiss/have sex in the future only one person will end up with the good luck? And the other has to suffer through a bunch of shitty things happening to them until they do it again? Do they have a system in place to determine who gets the luck on which day?

by Anonymousreply 54July 11, 2019 1:23 AM

M'Lynn doesn't have to raise Shelby's baby. Jackson can do that. The ending wasn't bad with them rushing off to have Anelle's baby.

by Anonymousreply 55July 11, 2019 1:31 AM

The Neon Ceiling with Lee Grant.

by Anonymousreply 56July 11, 2019 2:00 AM

"I knew you weren't worth the time, but I answered you anyway."

Since you answered me anyway, you obviously DID think I was worth the time. I bid you a heartfelt goodnight.

by Anonymousreply 57July 11, 2019 2:22 AM

I hated the ending of The Favourite. Was the queen just going to keep the girl as a sex slave indefinitely??

by Anonymousreply 58July 11, 2019 2:33 AM

2001. What the fuck was all that about?

by Anonymousreply 59July 11, 2019 2:39 AM

R59 It was about turning Keir Dullea into spank bank material. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 60July 11, 2019 2:41 AM

[quote]Thelma & Louise ends in a double suicide. A sad climax.

HEY! Spoiler alert!!

by Anonymousreply 61July 11, 2019 11:22 AM

I see that r24 is now marked as a troll, but anyway:

I think No Country for Old Men is a perfect movie. Or at least it's as close to perfect as a film can come. Ending included.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 11, 2019 11:25 AM

R61. I didn’t realize they were having sex as they went over, either

by Anonymousreply 63July 11, 2019 6:30 PM

At then end of the Titanic, when the Dutch Boy put his finger in the hole and everyone said "He saved us."

by Anonymousreply 64July 13, 2019 11:57 AM

When the raped the fat, ugly one in Deliverance.

by Anonymousreply 65July 13, 2019 11:57 AM

La La Land. I never understood why Ryan and Emma didn’t end up together. I mean, he drove all the way to Nevada to tell her about the audition that was going to make her a big star and then he drove her to the audition and waited while she did her bit. That surely made up Foor any inattentiveness earlier in their relationship. It was never explained how she ended up with another guy after all THAT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66July 13, 2019 12:35 PM

"When the raped the fat, ugly one in Deliverance."

Are you drunk? That's not how "Deliverance" ended. In fact, that movie had one of the best movie endings of all time.

by Anonymousreply 67July 13, 2019 7:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!