Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scented candles

What are your favorites?

Right now, I'm enjoying Chesapeake Bay Peace + Tranquility. The scent is described as "cashmere jasmine." It's lovely and not too heavy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2020 5:26 PM

Hmm who knew Yankee Candle sold soy wax. I was going to snark! Kilian now gives me sticker shock and I have downgraded in price to Zara Home. Their musky and grassy ones are good. I don't like flowery candles but the Royal Garden one is acceptable. Well I do like a simple rose candle.

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2019 1:44 AM

I also adore Yankee Candle Pink Sands. I have the car air freshener version. Yes, it's $5 for a car air freshener, but IDGAF.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2019 1:55 AM

R1, what's a rose candle that you like? I don't care for flowery ones either, generally. Shit like Glade just smells like laundry detergent. Which it probably is.

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2019 2:10 AM

Diptyque, Feu de Bois/Wood Fire Scented, expensive but very nice strong scents.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2019 2:15 AM

Good lord. Are you one of the DuPonts?

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2019 2:23 AM

Jo Malone, Lumira and Diptyque are good roses but they are all too fucking expensive. A friend of mine picks me up rose candles in Sophia Bulgaria for a song. Brands include Bulgarian Rose Company and Zoya. I'm tempted to try to make my own.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2019 2:32 AM

R4 I have the canpfire scented candle that you speak of. But mine is the smallest available! It was all I could buy and not spend a Bunch of money.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2019 2:39 AM

Yankee Candle Cheryl's Nether Realm.

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2019 6:41 AM

Winter Candy Apple, and Iced Gingerbread.

But they’re hard to get.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2019 7:11 AM

They're so pointless. It's like literally setting fire to money.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2019 7:45 AM

Isn't this up there with "mug cradling" in the DL frau universe?

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2019 10:06 AM

My favorite is cinnamon. Hands down.

by Anonymousreply 12July 9, 2019 3:35 AM

I love candles, but they've ruined the white paint in my home too many times. Too much soot. Any ideas on how to avoid sooting walls and ceilings where you burn them?

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2019 3:40 AM

If you use scented candles frequently, the smoke from them is bad for your health.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2019 3:44 AM

Goddamn fraugasm threads. Next it’ll be “oooho I want pumpkin spice flavored douche!”

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2019 3:51 AM

How ‘bout a fucked up xmas candle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2019 3:55 AM

R14, you're right. If they are sooting the walls I am sure they're doing the same to the lungs.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2019 4:00 AM

Ones that aren't anywhere inside of my own house!

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2019 4:03 AM

[quote]The scent is described as "cashmere jasmine."

Cashmere is goat hair. What is the scent of floral goat hair burning?

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2019 4:16 AM

Red Currant by Votivo.

by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2019 4:24 AM

I really like scented candles, but only in the winter. Same thing with Christmas lights. I will hang them on my patio in September and start with the scented candles. I like the pine and baked pies scents the best.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2019 4:48 AM

R13, any time you burn candles, make sure the ceiling is at least 36” from the top of the candle. If you’re getting soot on the ceiling, I’d recommend putting them lower, like on a coffee table. Also, you can burn tea lights which are really short.

If you’re burning oil lamps or candles enclosed in a tall glass container or chimney, try burning votives instead. If this doesn’t work, I’d try burning them in a covered lantern.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2019 5:26 AM

R22 thank you, I have 20 foot ceilings and burn them on the coffee table but soot still gets everywhere. I will try the covered lantern. Never though of that.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2019 12:05 AM

I always like alpine/pine scents year round, but they only ever seem to be available in limited batches at Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 24July 10, 2019 12:10 AM

R23 buy better candles, darling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 10, 2019 12:12 AM

[quote]buy better candles, darling.

Yeah, I’ve never had soot on the ceiling (or anywhere) from burning candles. That sounds truly bizarre. The only thing I can figure is that you’re using cheap candles.

by Anonymousreply 26July 10, 2019 1:12 AM

If you use those Mexican candles with the saints on them, they can get very sooty. But the only way to light them is with a long match or lighter so maybe that has something to do with it.

R23, I collect oil lamps and one thing they tell you to do is to trim the wick every time you light the lamp. There’s a little plastic tool for that. This removes built up soot from the wick.

If you’re using candles, maybe you should try cutting off the burnt end of the wick before you light it and see if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2019 3:06 AM

Mrs. Meyer's makes an "Acorn Spice" candle that is truly the best smelling candle I've ever owned. It's a seasonal scent that they also do cleaning product versions of, but the candle is superior. I got one last year and fell in love with it, but was unable to find it anywhere after that. This fall, I stumbled across a couple at my grocery store and bought them immediately. I did some perusing online and found that, weirdly enough, ACE Hardware of all places had a mass amount of them, so I ordered ten of them so I can have them throughout the year. I pray they never discontinue it and that it continues to come around each fall.

I was at Target recently and bought an Everspring (Target's "natural products" store brand) citrus & pine soy candle, which is also very nice and has a clean, crisp Christmasy smell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 28, 2020 6:28 AM

I am a Yankee Candle traditionalist during the holiday season. I get the large Spiced Pumpkin & will start that in early September, then the day after Thanksgiving, which is also the day we put up Christmas decorations, we start up the Balsam Fir candle. This is something my mother did when I was a kid 30 years ago & I kept the tradition. She passed away years ago, and it reminds me of her.

This year, due to covid and job loss and depression, I silently decided I just wasn't going to buy one this year. Money is tight and I just wasn't in a festive mood. I went to Dollar General and got a couple small Glade ones that were a couple bucks. They were ok, but not the same.

My wedding anniversary was at the end of October. When we exchanged gifts, my husband gave me a Spiced Pumpkin Yankee Candle. As soon as I unwrapped it and felt the jar in my hand I started bawling. It's been a rough year and the things that bring us joy are really getting us through, even if it is just an indulgent tradition ❤

by Anonymousreply 29November 28, 2020 6:50 AM

I miss scented candles, I used to use them all the time, but the older I got the less I was able to tolerate them. Now any scent from any brand will make my eyes puff up and I can't breathe through my nose. Found one Mrs. Meyer's soy candle that isn't so bad and we use it in the bathroom but if it's lit for too long, I'm a mess.

by Anonymousreply 30November 28, 2020 6:53 AM

My favorite from the zodiac collection.

by Anonymousreply 31November 28, 2020 7:08 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 28, 2020 7:08 AM

Gwyneth Paltrow vagina scented candles

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 28, 2020 7:13 AM

I've had no luck with the major brands - Yankee, Chesapeake Bay, Bath and Body Works/White Barn, etc. Overpriced, weak scent, no throw.

Strong scent, outstanding throw: Glade Peony & Cherry, Glade Blue Odyssey, Kalamazoo Smitten, Ikea Gingerbread/Vinter, Northern Lights Evergreen Forest.

by Anonymousreply 34November 28, 2020 7:22 AM

Basura blanca

by Anonymousreply 35November 28, 2020 7:37 AM

Not one of you jealous bitches mentioned my product.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36November 28, 2020 7:46 AM

I USED to love a number of Yankee Candle products, specifically Patchouli. In fact, I still have a few of them in backstock. But Yankee hasn't NOT been garbage in almost ten years. First they changed the label, and then they changed the formula. Perhaps they just got greedy with scent, but I haven't purchased one in years.

I LOVED Henry Bendel's "Firewood", but they went out of business.

Archipelago Botanicals' "Stonehenge" is WONDERFUL, and is my current favorite.

by Anonymousreply 37November 28, 2020 8:24 AM

*Henri Bendel

Fucking autocorrect!

by Anonymousreply 38November 28, 2020 8:25 AM

Instant Nausea, Frumpy Frau, and Chemical Assault

by Anonymousreply 39November 28, 2020 8:40 AM

OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 28, 2020 8:46 AM

Lower-middle-class aspirational

by Anonymousreply 41November 28, 2020 8:54 AM

That was a lovely post, r29. 🥰

by Anonymousreply 42November 28, 2020 9:15 AM

OP, go back to i-village!

by Anonymousreply 43November 28, 2020 9:43 AM

I used to love Helen Lawson's line of scented candles. "Unwashed Snatch" was my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 44November 28, 2020 9:47 AM

Yankee Candle? How provincial!

I convert my AMEX points to gift cards at Saks and Bergdorfs and then I buy a bunch of Cire Trudon candles. They are the best. They have the right fragrance load, offer unique scents and they have a long, clean burn. Their store in Le Marais also has wonderful antiques.

by Anonymousreply 45November 28, 2020 3:32 PM

Remember Gold Canyon? They were hot business back in the early 00s. Loved all their unique fragrances. Their fruit ones were great. Ginger Lime, Grapefruit. My boyfriend & a friend of ours got in on the mlm aspect & hosted a few candle parties. Did pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 46November 28, 2020 5:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!