Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who’s in and who's out of the next Dem debates?

POLITICO | 07/05/2019

Right now, it looks like Governor Bullock is in, and Rep. Eric Swalwell is out.

A tight race is on for the 20th and final July debate slot, while a more exclusive group of Democrats is closing in on September's debate.

The first Democratic presidential debates illustrated just how important the national platform can be to presidential campaigns, shaking up the primary polls and reshuffling opinions of front-runners and lesser-known candidates alike. And Democrats are already scrambling to make sure they’re involved in the next rounds of televised debates later this summer and fall.

Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.) tried to make a splash in June, urging former Vice President Joe Biden to “pass the torch” to younger Democrats — but the attack had little impact, and Swalwell is now in danger of missing the next round of debates in July and being replaced by Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, who missed out on the June debates.

Meanwhile, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julián Castro has been polling near the back of the primary pack, but his splash in last week’s debate has gone a long way toward ensuring he can make the September debate, when the qualification thresholds rise significantly, posing an existential threat to many campaigns. Castro told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday that he raised $1 million in the days following the debate, and that his campaign had around 116,000 donors — just shy of September’s 130,000-donor threshold with months still to go.

Currently, 21 candidates have passed a modest qualification threshold for the July debates, either hitting 1 percent in three qualifying polls or getting 65,000 donors. That’s one more candidate than the Democratic National Committee has said it will allow on stage across the two nights, meaning someone has to get cut.

The DNC’s tiebreakers prioritize candidates who hit both the polling and financial thresholds, followed by candidates who only have the polling benchmark, sorted by poll average, and then candidates who have hit only the donor mark

Fourteen candidates have crossed both of the thresholds, according to a POLITICO analysis, virtually guaranteeing their spot on stage on either July 30 or July 31: Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Castro, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, Kamala Harris, Jay Inslee, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Marianne Williamson and Andrew Yang.

That leaves seven candidates who have only crossed the polling threshold without a secure grasp on a debate-stage lectern. Some are marginally better off than others: John Delaney, John Hickenlooper and Tim Ryan all have polling averages slightly above 1 percentage point, meaning they rank ahead of the other candidates.

But four Democrats sit at a polling average of just 1 percent, with only three slots to give to them: Michael Bennet, Bullock, Bill de Blasio and Swalwell.

Because they’re all tied in a polling average, the next tiebreaker is the number of qualified polls they’ve scored. Swalwell has only reached the 1 percent mark in three qualifying polls. Bullock, meanwhile, is at five polls, Bennet is at six polls and de Blasio has eight.

Seth Moulton, Wayne Messam, Mike Gravel and Joe Sestak have not crossed either threshold, and none appear poised to make the stage. But the roster for those debates is not yet locked in; surveys from qualifying pollsters that are released by July 16 will count.

It is also not clear how the debate stages will be set, once the 20 candidates who will be on stage are confirmed. NBC News, the DNC’s media partner for the first debate, randomly and evenly divided a group of high-polling candidates and a group of low-polling candidates between the two nights of their debates. CNN, the host of the July debates, did not respond to a request from POLITICO on how the stages will be set. The DNC declined to answer questions on the stages.

[Full details at link]:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2019 8:39 AM

So what's with this Bullock guy? I hear people saying he shows promise. What's the difference between him and Inslee, anyway?

by Anonymousreply 1July 7, 2019 1:05 AM

He won in a Trump state, R1.

by Anonymousreply 2July 7, 2019 1:14 AM

r2 Okay, that's a promising start. What else?

by Anonymousreply 3July 7, 2019 1:16 AM

That's true, R2, although Montana has had a Democratic Governor for quite a while -- Brian Schweitzer served for 2 terms before Bullock, so Montana was in Democratic hands long before Trump came along.

by Anonymousreply 4July 7, 2019 1:17 AM

Swalwell is out?

So much for repeatedly saying "Pass the torch."

by Anonymousreply 5July 7, 2019 1:18 AM

Please tell me that we get to hear the intergalactic musings of Marianne Williamson again. She's my spirit animal.

by Anonymousreply 6July 7, 2019 1:38 AM

r6 Just once more, yes. So treasure every second.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2019 1:41 AM

How is the media allowed to pick and choose who's in the debates? It's UnAmerican!

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2019 1:47 AM

The DNC made the debate qualification rules.

The DNC is using a combination of polling data & donor contributions to determine the debate threshold:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2019 1:52 AM

I thought a qualification threshold for the July debates is either hitting 2 percent in three qualifying polls or getting 130,000 donors. Not sure if there will be 20 candidates in this round though.

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2019 1:54 AM

There are still 20 slots available for the July debate.

The number of slots won't fall below 20 until the September debate.

by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2019 1:57 AM

That's the September debates, R7. July is exactly like June unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2019 2:01 AM

Oh, dear, then it will be another round of a meaningless claptrap.

Thank you for the info, R11 and R12

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2019 2:03 AM

r10 It's not 'or' but and. 130K donors and 2% in at least 4 recognized polls. The following 5 have already qualified

1) Pete Buttigieg

2) Elizabeth Warren

3) Kamala Harris

4) Joe Biden

5) Bernie Sanders

Beto has enough donors and needs 2 more polls. Castro needs at least 20k more donors and 3 more polls. Booker needs more donors and one more poll.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2019 2:04 AM

As long as Marianne is there it will be good.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2019 2:07 AM

What the DNC is not revealing so far is how they will divide the 2 debate stages.

Last time there was a mix of low-polling & high-polling candidates in each group of 10.

Will there be another mix this time, or will the top polling tier be in one night and the lower polling tier be in the other night?

by Anonymousreply 16July 7, 2019 2:09 AM

r16 THE LATTER! For the love of all that is holy, let it be the latter!

by Anonymousreply 17July 7, 2019 2:13 AM

I agree, r17. Poor Liz Warren (and I'm not even her supporter) was stuck in the junior varsity debate.

by Anonymousreply 18July 7, 2019 2:22 AM

They should have some draws like tennis: spreading 6 top seeds into two nights and randomly picking low-ranking candidates to fill in the slots.

by Anonymousreply 19July 7, 2019 2:22 AM

I adored A Return to Love, but I can't believe Marianne Williamson is still in this.

by Anonymousreply 20July 7, 2019 2:25 AM

Please Swalwell! don't lose out !!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21July 7, 2019 2:41 AM

Bye, Swalwell!

by Anonymousreply 22July 7, 2019 2:46 AM

I guess Swalwell’s not gonna NUT.

by Anonymousreply 23July 7, 2019 2:52 AM

bye, swalwell.

by Anonymousreply 24July 7, 2019 2:52 AM

Plenty of time to get serious in order to make the 3rd debate.

by Anonymousreply 25July 7, 2019 2:59 AM

I know Michael Bennet isn't particularly exciting, but his takedown of Ted Cruz was a thing of beauty, and his top proposal is to overturn Citizen's United. If Bennet doesn't make it in, I hope one of the others takes over his platform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26July 7, 2019 3:14 AM

How in the world does Marianne Williamson qualify again?! Who's her base that's picking her in polls? And who's donating to her campaign?

by Anonymousreply 27July 7, 2019 3:31 AM

She's a writer who has sold quite a few books, R27. She got her followers to donate (only needed 65,000) and somehow managed 1% in at least 3 qualified polls. The standards for these debates are really low.

by Anonymousreply 28July 7, 2019 3:33 AM

[quote]How in the world does Marianne Williamson qualify again?!

It's what happens when you let Iowa and New Hampshire have that much influence.

by Anonymousreply 29July 7, 2019 3:35 AM

I can't wait for Marianne Williamson to challenge Tom Cruise to a fight in the next debate.

'Girlfriend, you are so on!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 7, 2019 4:01 AM

R27, it's been reported in the news this week that some Republicans are supporting Marianne in order to throw the Dem debates.

by Anonymousreply 31July 7, 2019 4:30 AM

I'd rather have Miss Marianne than more Trump, or to be screamed at by Bernie.

by Anonymousreply 32July 7, 2019 4:37 AM

Williamson is the most entertaining clown in the Dem candidate car.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2019 4:45 AM

I hope we see Sanders and Warren on the same night this time. And I hope she crushes him.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2019 4:48 AM

Poor moronic Republicans. I couldn't care less that Marianne will be providing the entertainment in the next debate. No matter how loopy she comes off, she's still more presidential than the orange goblin. Oh, and they'll have a hell of a time getting her to 2% in 3 qualifying polls for the September debates, but let them waste their money on donations.

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2019 5:22 AM

Kamala Harris and her $100 Billion for black people to buy homes is OUT.

She's truly lost the thread.

by Anonymousreply 36July 7, 2019 6:42 AM

If Buttigieg, Bullock and Swalwell don't make it to the finals, they can always establish their own law firm:

Butt, Bollocks & Swallowwell Ltd.

by Anonymousreply 37July 7, 2019 7:23 AM

I think Williamson is at least refreshingly different. She'll act as a good contrast to the others to make them look presidential. She's just doing this to give herself gravitas for when she runs for a House seat again.

by Anonymousreply 38July 7, 2019 6:57 PM

[quote]I think Williamson is at least refreshingly different. She'll act as a good contrast to the others to make them look presidential.

I recall thinking the same about Trump at the beginning...

by Anonymousreply 39July 7, 2019 8:04 PM

The September debate will be even harder for which to qualify. Yes, the Dems have a lot of candidates. Big deal. The Repgs had 17 in 2016. In a matter of a short period of time, the Dem field will be whittled down, and we won't be talking about 20 candidates. The real fight is not amongst each other; the real fight is to defeat Trump. Stay focused people.

by Anonymousreply 40July 7, 2019 8:41 PM

Contrast this Democratic field with the clown parade the Repugs put forth for 2016 and that's all you need to know about the two parties.

by Anonymousreply 41July 7, 2019 11:59 PM

Sorry, stupid question but are the Republicans limiting their choice to Donald Trump? What if he has a heart attack a month before the election?

by Anonymousreply 42July 8, 2019 12:46 AM

r42 I'm sure there are certain provisions in the law should he kick it just before the election.

by Anonymousreply 43July 8, 2019 12:50 AM

^^^ 'Cause gee - that'd be TERRIBLE . . .

by Anonymousreply 44July 8, 2019 1:31 AM

I am personally happy to see Williamson in the next debate. She is harmless, and unlike Republicans, we wouldn't nominate someone without political experience.

Random thought, but Marc Cuban could have been a very interesting candidate, but he supports the party of the rich which means he'd be for the status quo.

by Anonymousreply 45July 8, 2019 1:38 AM

Another billionaire is probably coming to this crowded field of candidates.

Tom Steyer Is Telling Allies He’s Running for President

According to people who’ve spoken with him, Steyer has also been disappointed that House Democrats haven’t moved more quickly in holding impeachment hearings. He’s been leading and pumping millions of dollars into Need to Impeach and NextGen America, in addition to the Democratic campaign group For Our Future. (His campaign would be separate from those groups while he invests in his 2020 run.) And even after donating millions to those organizations, Steyer has more than enough in his own fortune to outspend the Democratic field so far.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46July 8, 2019 3:35 AM

Marc Cuban would run as an independent if he ran, R45.

by Anonymousreply 47July 8, 2019 3:52 AM

Swalwell dropping out tomorrow?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 8, 2019 5:42 AM

R48, he was an egotistical idiot to get in in the first place. He actually looked at a field of nearly 20 people and said, "Nah, I'm better than all of them!" Smug as hell, and it shows.

R46, billionaire after billionaire can try to get in but they won't go anywhere. He should run as a Repug if he wants to make an impact. Split the "he's a good businessman" idiot contingent that actually believes that about Trump. He wouldn't need RNC funding and can spend the next year constantly fucking with Trump.

by Anonymousreply 49July 8, 2019 5:47 AM

Swalwell has fallen outside the top 20 candidates for the Dem nomination.

He is now below 1%.

He will probably be cut from the 2nd debate, so that would explain his withdrawal tomorrow:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50July 8, 2019 6:08 AM

[quote]Tom Steyer Is Telling Allies He’s Running for President

OMG yes! I love Steyer. He has been awesome in trolling Trumptards and pushing for impeachment. I hope he goes in and makes the cut in the 4th-5th debate. He needs to be on stage to troll Trump. <3 <3

by Anonymousreply 51July 8, 2019 6:21 AM

You political acumen is terrible, R51.

by Anonymousreply 52July 8, 2019 6:33 AM

No need to debate. Booker has the nomination sewn up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 10, 2019 7:39 PM

Time's up for your 15-minute of fame, you minion candidates!

Joe Biden, Pete Buttigieg, Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren have raised about $100 million in the past three months combined. Together, they share a large majority of public support.

That money is not just a benchmark. Buttigieg, while raising his staggering sum, began hiring dozens of organizers in Iowa and New Hampshire and plans to have 300 people on staff by Labor Day. Warren added more than 100 staffers in the past three months and already has more than 300 in total.

Harris in recent weeks has dramatically expanded her operation in the four early-nominating states, with more than 65 staffers in Iowa, 49 in South Carolina, 35 in Nevada and 30 in New Hampshire.

While lower-polling candidates are still struggling just to qualify for upcoming presidential debates, candidates with money can now return to their expanding donor lists for repeat contributions. By late summer, they are expected to begin reserving time for TV advertisements in select early-primary states.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 12, 2019 9:05 AM

If he doesn't end up making the cut, I truly hope whoever gets the nomination gives some thought to Michael Bennett for the VP position. (that is, if my fav, Sherrod Brown, doesn't want it...)

by Anonymousreply 55July 12, 2019 2:33 PM

Rules from CNN for the July debates:

[quote]"A candidate who consistently interrupts will have his or her time reduced," CNN says in rules for the July 30-31 Democratic debates.

[quote]Also: "There will be no show of hands or one-word, down-the-line questions."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 13, 2019 6:33 AM

There should be a 10% polling threshold and be done with it. It’s incredible that candidates could buy their way on stage by taking fistfuls of campaign cash.

by Anonymousreply 57July 13, 2019 8:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!