Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rhoda's leaving MTM Show

There is an odd episode at the end of the third season where she decides to move to NYC and then backs out at the last minute.

Was this an aborted exit for her and they decided to have her stay another season?

I was just watching season 3 and noticed that in the episode prior to this one Rhoda isn't even on it at all. Was she making a pilot?

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2019 4:01 AM

?????

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2019 9:36 PM

No, the decision to spin Rhoda off was made in season 4.

I know the episode you're talking about. They hadn't decided to spin her off at that point. It was just another episode.

It's not like they decided to do it and changed their mind. She wasn't in every episode of MTM. Most of them, but not all.

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2019 10:01 PM

This was the episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2019 10:03 PM

Something weird that happened in season 3 was that they introduced Mary's parents, who had moved to Minneapolis. Nanette Fabray played her mom.

They were on for two episodes, and then they disappeared. Never seen again.

Nanette said that, years later, she confronted Mary about being dropped and asked why:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2019 10:07 PM

MTM was a fan and always admitted copying Fabray’s method of crying.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2019 10:58 PM

[quote]Nanette said that, years later, she confronted Mary about being dropped and asked why:

Mary told her "Keep your nose out of my business"

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2019 11:14 PM

Mary was good at kicking perfectly good actors out of roles. She was jealous.

by Anonymousreply 7July 7, 2019 12:32 AM

The Rhoda goes to her sister's wedding in NYC was the pilot. No Brenda, but her sister was Debbie and it was fucking hilarious. The 'letter' at the end gave everything a great show could want. Brett Sommers guest starred as Aunt Faye?

by Anonymousreply 8July 7, 2019 1:08 AM

Linda Lavin was supposed to be a semi regular on Rhoda after her initial appearance, but somebody complained that she was too funny and taking attention away from the main cast. CBS brass loved her so much that they stuck her on Barney Miller and the rest is history.

Linda was meant to be the Phyllis type to Rhoda's Mary and Brenda's Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 9July 7, 2019 1:14 AM

R9= Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 10July 7, 2019 1:19 AM

Vivian Vance was also supposed to be a regular on Rhoda after Joe and Rhoda's divorce.

This sounds like a DL meme, but it's the truth. She had guest-starred as a neighbor and was great.

But her health — not Gary — wouldn't allow it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 7, 2019 1:23 AM

Rhoda left Joe. And I left Rhoda.

by Anonymousreply 12July 7, 2019 1:29 AM

I hate the way Rhoda did leave the show. In the first episodes of Rhoda she meets a guy and then gives up EVERYTHING for him. Her job. Her apartment. Mary. The character had evolved on MTM to not be so desperate for a man and then they threw all that away for the spinoff. Valerie Harper apparently agreed with me.

by Anonymousreply 13July 7, 2019 3:19 AM

r11

No, Lucy O'Ball wouldn't let her. Lucy wouldn't even let her do commercials for a decent coffee maker.

by Anonymousreply 14July 7, 2019 1:57 PM

Rhoda's leaving Mary Tyler Moore ruined both shows.

Unlike when Florida left and the show got better.

by Anonymousreply 15July 7, 2019 1:58 PM

[quote] CBS brass loved her so much that they stuck her on Barney Miller and the rest is history.

They didn't like her that much -- "Barney Miller" was on ABC.

by Anonymousreply 16July 8, 2019 4:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!