Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Arizona Senate race: Retired astronaut Mark Kelly raised $4.2 million during his second quarter

Arizona Republic | July 2, 2019

Democrat Mark Kelly, the retired astronaut who is hoping to unseat Republican Sen. Martha McSally in Arizona’s 2020 Senate race, raised $4.2 million during April, May and June, exceeding his first-quarter fundraising.

All told, he has raised $8.3 million since announcing his candidacy in February, and he has nearly $6 million cash on hand, according to his campaign.

More than 85,000 contributors have donated to Kelly's campaign, and more than 90% of his second-quarter donations were less than $100, highlighting his display of strength among small donors, his campaign said.

Kelly's performance likely gives him a financial advantage over McSally, the Republican incumbent who was appointed to the seat once held by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.

“We have a tradition of independent leadership here in Arizona and this outpouring of support shows that people are fed up and pitching in to elect a leader who will stand up for our state and what's right," Kelly's campaign manager, Jen Cox, said in a written statement to The Arizona Republic.

McSally's campaign will release her second-quarter fundraising numbers next week. During the first quarter, she raised $2.1 million.

Neither McSally or Kelly have drawn competitive primary challengers for the marquee 2020 special election to fill the final two years of McCain’s unexpired term.

The race is deemed a toss-up by political analysts and it is expected to draw out-sized national attention and tens of millions of dollars in campaign contributions and outside advertising dollars.

Larry Sabato, the political scientist who directs the University of Virginia's Center for Politics, said Kelly's fundraising is a reflection of his national profile and energy surrounding his campaign.

"He may be one of the very few Senate candidates to outspend an incumbent and that doesn't happen very often," Sabato said. "Kelly is one of the first people mentioned by national Democrats when they talk about their chances of picking up Republican seats — he's usually mentioned first."

Sabato said the key consideration for Arizona's Senate race may be one factor neither candidate can control with money: the result of the presidential race.

In 2016, Trump carried Arizona by just 3.5 percentage points over his Democratic rival Hillary Clinton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2019 4:55 AM

McSally isn't going to release her numbers until next week, so it looks like Kelly may have outraised her.

That bodes well for the Democrats in Arizona next year.

The Democrats have not had 2 Democratic Senators in Arizona since the 1950's.

by Anonymousreply 1July 2, 2019 10:55 PM

Good, I hope he wins.

by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2019 12:40 AM

With Arizona trending purple as of late, and 2020 being a presidential year, I honestly expect Kelly to win. He should be able to wipe the floor with McSally.

by Anonymousreply 3July 6, 2019 9:06 PM

He raised more than twice his competitor. Who is the incumbent. And McConnell hand picked her. It will be embarrassing when she loses

by Anonymousreply 4July 6, 2019 9:09 PM

Best of luck to him. It would be very odd for AZ to elect him but reject the Dem Nominee. How do the rest of the Senate seats shake out this cycle? I know we need 4 or 3 and the VP. Is it looking better or worse for Dems?

by Anonymousreply 5July 6, 2019 9:24 PM

With regard to Arizona, it will still be a close race so McSally is not done yet, but she is in trouble.

And reportedly some Republican officials are upset with her and wish that Governor Ducey was running as the Senate nominee instead.

by Anonymousreply 6July 6, 2019 10:10 PM

Arizona loves Gabby Giffords / she would be voted into sainthood if possible. McSally embarrassed herself consistently campaigning for the seat she lost to Kyrsten Sinema .......Megan McCain should campaign for Mark Kelly, Trumpublicans would freak. It would probably put him over, but I think he will win barring any major f-ups. Here's hoping.

by Anonymousreply 7July 6, 2019 10:10 PM

R7 McConnell begged Ducey to let McSally run instead. He really fucked up here

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2019 10:12 PM

R7, if Gabby Giffords hadn't been seriously injured in the shooting, it was expected that she would have been the one to run for Senate some day.

So now she is encouraging Mark Kelly to do so.

by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2019 10:14 PM

I remember before the shooting, people were talking about Gabby as a future presidential candidate

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2019 10:16 PM

Meghan is a Trump Republican in all but name. She may not vote for the President, but she 100% support his Party. Her husband is a hateful asshole who's father works for the President. She will never campaign for a Democrat. The McCain's are probably disillusioned now that daddy is out of the way. I'm sure Meghan will try her hardest to maintain some of the family's influence in AZ, even though the Party has moved on. I smile every time I think about how unimportant the McCains are becoming in AZ. Once the fat fucker is out of the WH, the McCain twitter love will be over, sort of like Beto post defeat to Cruze. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, until he isn't.

By bitch, AZ is becoming the new Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2019 10:16 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2019 10:19 PM

[quote]How do the rest of the Senate seats shake out this cycle?

R5, new polling from Colorado this week shows that Senator Cory Gardner is very vulnerable. Gardner's numbers in Colorado are even lower than Trump's:

[quote]New poll has good news for Gov. Jared Polis but says Sen. Cory Gardner faces an uphill climb in 2020

[quote]Republican senator’s favorability lags Trump’s among registered Republicans

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2019 10:22 PM

r13 my brother and sister in law just moved to Colorado today. I'm going to remind both of them to get registered ASAP because that's two more votes for the Democrats. But sadly, they moved from AZ.

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2019 10:24 PM

Democrats also have a chance to flip the Arizona House & Senate in 2020 for the first time in many years.

*Arizona State House ratings*:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2019 10:33 PM

*Arizona State Senate ratings*:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2019 10:34 PM

Arizona going all blue as soon as next year's elections is quite a feat when you think about it.

I hear the GOP is going to redistric

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2019 10:42 PM

in Texas.

Sorry I hit "post" to soon

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2019 10:43 PM

r17 if we take the state house in 2020, then we can stop the extreme redistricting since the census is coming up. Democratic candidates need to put the fear of God into the electorate. Even if we lose the WH or win the WH, if we don't take back governorships or a house in each state capital, then we will have to live under another decade of Republican dominance in the House of Reps and in State Legislatures.

by Anonymousreply 19July 6, 2019 10:53 PM

R19 THIS! Because as they say, "elections have consequences". Redistricting and judges are two of the biggest consequences, and it's why we need to show up.

by Anonymousreply 20July 6, 2019 10:56 PM

I would be surprised if Arizona went all blue. As for Kyrsten Sinema, The Democratic Party should kick her out. She ran a campaign bashing the democrats. Considering how she votes I wouldn't be surprised if she is challenged by a real democrat when her term is up.

by Anonymousreply 21July 6, 2019 11:00 PM

Errr what are you talking about R21? Kirsten Sinema has been awesome for Democrats, plus she just got elected to a 6 year term for Senate.

by Anonymousreply 22July 6, 2019 11:05 PM

I know she was just elected R22. She is a lousy democrat. Her record was terrible when she was a congresswoman too.

by Anonymousreply 23July 6, 2019 11:07 PM

R21 Says they doubt democrats will win and also disparages the only statewide democrat we have now. Seems kinda like a right winger

by Anonymousreply 24July 6, 2019 11:08 PM

I know Arizona R24. I've lived here for 57 years. You're full of shit if you think I'm a right winger.

by Anonymousreply 25July 6, 2019 11:09 PM

R21, the Democrats hadn't elected a Senator in Arizona in 25 years, so it's not surprising that Sinema ran as a centrist.

She's also only the 2nd openly-gay/bi Senator after Tammy Baldwin (D-WI).

by Anonymousreply 26July 6, 2019 11:10 PM

She didn't just run as a centralist R26, she bashed the democrats.

by Anonymousreply 27July 6, 2019 11:12 PM

I don't see how the length of time you've lived in Arizona proves you aren't a right winger. Maybe stop attacking dems and trying to lower enthusiasm in the same post and people won't think you are one?

by Anonymousreply 28July 6, 2019 11:12 PM

Jesus R28. I said Sinema was bashing the democrats to get elected. I don't know why that displeases you that I pointed it out. Please try some reading comprehension and while you are at it do some fucking research.

by Anonymousreply 29July 6, 2019 11:15 PM

The Dems stand a very decent chance of winning back the Senate. We need only hold on to Doug Jones's seat in Alabama (easier if Roy Moore is the Repuke nominee again), and pick up four. Arizona, Colorado, North Carolina (Tillis) and Maine (Collins) seem like prime seats to snatch away from the Rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 30July 6, 2019 11:22 PM

It's going to be a tough fight in some of those seats.

As the new poll at R13 shows, Gardner in Colorado is the most vulnerable Republican Senator for 2020, followed by McSally in Arizona.

North Carolina is a bit of a wild card, and one of the Democratic contenders just dropped out this week, so the race is still in flux.

As for Maine, Collins is probably the most vulnerable she has ever been, and she's waiting until the Fall to make a final decision on whether to run again, but she could still win.

by Anonymousreply 31July 6, 2019 11:27 PM

Happy his fundraising is going so well

by Anonymousreply 32July 6, 2019 11:55 PM

r30 I don't think we stand much of a chance. I think it will be a one seat majority for the Dems. Jones' seat will be gone. The Alabama Republican Party, McConnell, and voters, refuse to allow Moore to be the nominee, he is already trailing. It was nice while it lasted to see Jones in the Senate, but he's done.

by Anonymousreply 33July 7, 2019 12:15 AM

Sorry I meant one seat majority for Republicans. I also fear that Trump might sail through with a large electoral win given his campaigns focus on immigration, along with strong jobs numbers and a great economy. American's really don't like to toss our Presidents after one term. When asked the questions are you better off today or when Trump got elected, economically the vast majority are better off.

by Anonymousreply 34July 7, 2019 12:17 AM

R34, I don't think the usual rules will apply next year. Certainly not to someone as deeply unpopular as tRump. He has never enjoyed the support of a majority of the country, which indicates what an extremely polarizing figure he is. Plus, he won the Electoral College by virtue of very narrow margins in three states where he no longer polls well.

by Anonymousreply 35July 7, 2019 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!