Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Big Little Lies' S02E04 Discussion Thread

[quote][italic]She Knows[/italic]

[quote]Mary Louise grows increasingly concerned about Celeste’s parenting, and Madeline tries to make things right with Ed.

9pm ET on HBO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 7, 2019 11:27 PM

Episode three thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2019 10:54 PM

Anyone else disappointed with the last episode to the point that they're not looking forward to this one as much? Or maybe the debates this week took all the excitement out of me, I don't know.

Here's a gif of Laura Dern's glorious hair extensions in slo-mo that I created, to get us back in the mood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2019 10:59 PM

People were disappointed with the first episode and the second ended up being really good. So there's hope.

by Anonymousreply 3July 1, 2019 12:41 AM

I hope we see surfer boy’s naked ass.

by Anonymousreply 4July 1, 2019 12:42 AM

The surfer guy is an annoying Aspie and I bet he'll cause trouble for Jane because of his big mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5July 1, 2019 12:55 AM

The second episode was the best so far. I enjoyed aspects of the third, and wasn't too hot on the first. The surfer dude was okay in the last episode... he pretty much filled the only role I wanted him to, which was to act as a support for Jane.

by Anonymousreply 6July 1, 2019 12:57 AM

last week's episode was dud and quite short

by Anonymousreply 7July 1, 2019 12:58 AM

I came around on the surfer guy towards the end of their date. Though I'm sure he'll say some stupid shit that'll make me hate him all over again.

by Anonymousreply 8July 1, 2019 12:58 AM

Kathryn Hahn has a new show coming this fall? Sign me up!

by Anonymousreply 9July 1, 2019 1:02 AM

Amabella is so annoying with her Debbie Downer face.

by Anonymousreply 10July 1, 2019 1:05 AM

lol at Reese's Halloween frau apron

by Anonymousreply 11July 1, 2019 1:06 AM

that slap was weak

by Anonymousreply 12July 1, 2019 1:09 AM

Weak?! Those glasses flew to space! And that zinger at the end!

by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2019 1:12 AM

I guess ML's husband will turn up this season.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2019 1:13 AM

The way Meryl scratched her head while looking at Bonnie... She Knows!

by Anonymousreply 15July 1, 2019 1:14 AM

Yay Renata in court.

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2019 1:14 AM

geez 33 mil

by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2019 1:15 AM

Adam Scott showing his taint... nice!

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2019 1:16 AM

Bonnie's costume and wig are hideous.

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2019 1:20 AM

At least Celeste sort of calls out Madeline for fucking things up with the cops.

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2019 1:22 AM

Denis O'Hare, holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2019 1:22 AM

I need a photo of Adam Scott's taint!

by Anonymousreply 22July 1, 2019 1:23 AM

Bonnie's mom is a nut.

by Anonymousreply 23July 1, 2019 1:24 AM

Ed's afro wig should be murdered.

by Anonymousreply 24July 1, 2019 1:25 AM

The singers are awful.

by Anonymousreply 25July 1, 2019 1:28 AM

[quote]Anyone else disappointed with the last episode to the point that they're not looking forward to this one as much?

Likewise. I'm not enjoying Meryl, nor the Aspie surfer.

by Anonymousreply 26July 1, 2019 1:29 AM

The aspie guy has nice veiny arms.

by Anonymousreply 27July 1, 2019 1:32 AM

Bonnie just fucked up by bitching at the detective.

by Anonymousreply 28July 1, 2019 1:37 AM

Madeline wants some of that taint only now that she's seen Adam Scott having fun with Bonnie. She's such a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 29July 1, 2019 1:39 AM

Sunken chest representation, hell yeah!

by Anonymousreply 30July 1, 2019 1:41 AM

Does anyone else think Adam Scott has better chemistry with Zoe?

by Anonymousreply 31July 1, 2019 1:44 AM

A lawyer can't represent more than one client at once? What was that bullshit by Renata?

by Anonymousreply 32July 1, 2019 1:44 AM

r31 Yes, definitely!

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2019 1:44 AM

I find it odd that Celeste previously worked as a lawyer, yet it seems she doesn't have contacts/friends in the legal community and Renata tries to help her find a lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2019 1:46 AM

Celeste is using Tramadol? Is Robin Weigert giving her that shit? Could she be the actual villain of this show?

by Anonymousreply 35July 1, 2019 1:46 AM

Why are the episodes shorter? Aren't HBO drams like 50-55 minutes long for episodes?

by Anonymousreply 36July 1, 2019 1:47 AM

Oh, I just got that. Renata wanted that lawyer for Celeste, not for her bankruptcy...

by Anonymousreply 37July 1, 2019 1:47 AM

I think there will be some twist revealed that Mary Louise hired that guy and he drugged Celeste and maybe there is some video of Celeste doing something bad.

by Anonymousreply 38July 1, 2019 1:49 AM

This episode again felt... sparse somehow.

by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2019 1:50 AM

Sparse is an excellent word to describe it R39.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2019 1:54 AM

Meryl is doing a great job as the mother-in-law from hell.

by Anonymousreply 41July 1, 2019 1:54 AM

Who was in the car with Ed in the previews?

by Anonymousreply 42July 1, 2019 1:57 AM

Laura Dern is fucking killing it this season. Suck it Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 43July 1, 2019 2:10 AM

Nice Renata gif, OP. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 44July 1, 2019 2:17 AM

The Nicole slap was lol epic. Mary Louise had it coming. How she thinks taking the kids away from her is going to help Celeste?! Laura continues to kill it with her hilarious lines.

by Anonymousreply 45July 1, 2019 2:31 AM

Mary Louise is not believable as a beloved grandmother. She acts like a freak and the pizza scene was so cringeworthy.

by Anonymousreply 46July 1, 2019 2:55 AM

There's supposed to be flashback scenes in upcoming episodes of Mary Louise and her sons. The flashbacks will probably show that she's always been a nut case and Perry was fucked up as a result.

by Anonymousreply 47July 1, 2019 3:12 AM

Really is amazing, this cast. Streep, Kidman, Witherspoon, Dern. Oscars all over the place! I wonder who’s the biggest diva.

by Anonymousreply 48July 1, 2019 3:36 AM

I think Witherspoon will be snubbed when it comes to Emmy nominations next year.

by Anonymousreply 49July 1, 2019 3:37 AM

Adam Scott might be able to get a supporting actor nomination. Although the taint shot was a very weird angle from which to shoot an actor. It wasn't flattering or evocative.

by Anonymousreply 50July 1, 2019 3:45 AM

F that r50, I wanted to nuzzle and nap with my head there. His thighs are scrumptious and the shot was succulent.

by Anonymousreply 51July 1, 2019 3:51 AM

You gotta see that NYT article about the sperm donor with 32 kids. A lot of the shots are thigh shots. It’s a new angle.

by Anonymousreply 52July 1, 2019 3:57 AM

Surfer guy was on Big Love

by Anonymousreply 53July 1, 2019 3:58 AM

Meryl is playing Mary Louise like the nun in Doubt BEFORE she became a nun. I get why everyone thinks she’s the greatest actress of all time. She peels off layers to reveal the pathology behind the facade of the sweet, grieving mother trying to come to terms with her son’s death. She knows Perry was a monster because she created him. She has plans to take all of her grandsons away from their mothers and turn them into monsters too. The season started off mopey but this episode had the beef. Liking Ed a lot better since he stopped being a doormat.

by Anonymousreply 54July 1, 2019 4:10 AM

So over Ed being baited by the moron. We get it. Men are toxic. We don't need to be reminded every other week with the same scene in different locations. Either have them fuck or have one kill the other but it's been 14 episodes and their interactions haven't changed at all.

by Anonymousreply 55July 1, 2019 4:19 AM

This one was great. Love Mary Louise.

by Anonymousreply 56July 1, 2019 4:40 AM

The Mary Louise backstory is what I'm awaiting and her ex husband/

by Anonymousreply 57July 1, 2019 4:50 AM

I thought this was a strong episode altogether. Tonally the noose is tightening.

Can someone help me out with Renata's medical expense? What'd she mean when she pointed at her head and talked about having to deal with men all her life? I assumed that some sort of abortion moment would have been unveiled at that point, but it didn't go that direction. Perhaps I'm dense. Anyway, Laura did a great job this episode as well. She could easily submit either this or the second episode for her Emmy submission... though she may have better moments coming up.

Hahah, is this the taint shot everyone's going on about? Geez... I love Adam Scott, but I didn't even notice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 1, 2019 4:51 AM

Renata had an abortion through her forehead to remove the goddess Athena, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 59July 1, 2019 4:54 AM

She was referring to plastic surgery?

I did think of rimming Adam Scott at that moment.

Yes - we know Mary Louise has some secrets, like how Perry’s brother died. Not sure but show is good.

by Anonymousreply 60July 1, 2019 4:54 AM

[R58] Renata had Botox. Very expensive Botox.

by Anonymousreply 61July 1, 2019 4:55 AM

Thanks!!! They were treating the moment as if it were a dramatic medical expense that botox was the last thing on my mind... would have assumed most monied Monterey moms would have had work done.

by Anonymousreply 62July 1, 2019 5:03 AM

I'm thinking Renata had psychiatric health expenses.

by Anonymousreply 63July 1, 2019 5:05 AM

I'm sure she was intimating that she had had a lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 64July 1, 2019 5:07 AM

Is Adam purposely trolling the gays for attention? I MEAN COME ON. Who poses like that?

Oddly, that is much hotter than all the dicks on trash-fest Euphoria. He looks so cuddly. It’s not fair Reese got to sleep act with him.

by Anonymousreply 65July 1, 2019 5:17 AM

Adam Scott sucks in drama shows.

by Anonymousreply 66July 1, 2019 5:18 AM

The black woman playing the detective is terrible. Like a bad soap opera actress. Zoe Kravitz isn't much better

by Anonymousreply 67July 1, 2019 5:28 AM

Loved the mother daughter matching disco dresses, poor Amabelle is going to need so much therapy! And they have no money for it now. What do you think were in the gift bags? I’m think old presents regifted and small home appliances they don’t need anymore.

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2019 5:41 AM

Something will happen ( not Celeste ) when someone is under the influence of ambien.

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2019 8:49 AM

Cast photo from the disco party!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2019 9:10 AM

[quote]Amabella is so annoying with her Debbie Downer face.

Not as bad as me with my continual half asleep, hang dog mope face.

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2019 9:45 AM

[quote]Mary Louise is not believable as a beloved grandmother. She acts like a freak and the pizza scene was so cringeworthy.

Agree. Those boys in RL would be giving granny the side eye and asking when they could go home. And they are fucking RICH. Why are they acting so ecstatic over pizza.....like Darfur orphans?

The writers of this show can't possibly have any kids themselves. They continually get them wrong. No eight year old even knows what disco is let alone wants a "disco party" featuring a group of has-beens from the 70's FFS. More wish fulfillment of the 50+ year old writers of this show.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2019 9:59 AM

Yes, Celeste being so helpless re. child custody is absurd. She's an attorney herself FFS. And Mary Louise can't get a lock on every attorney in the state simply by going down a list and making a phone call to all of them. You have to retain their services. Umm, that would be outrageously expensive.

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2019 10:05 AM

Don't think kids that age are going to get that excited about disco and The Trammps.

I gasped (MARY!) when Celeste slapped Mary Louise and then her one night stand walked in the room in front of ML

Guessing that Jane's new boyfriend is Perry's half brother.

by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2019 10:36 AM

[quote]The black woman playing the detective is terrible

Her wig is worse.

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2019 10:43 AM

Yeah, that wig is pretty outrageous. It's basically all I can see when I'm watching a scene with her.

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2019 10:46 AM

What was the stupidity with Madaline's daughter's hinged/unhinged project.? That bit was just stupid . Children don't conceive of their parents in those terms, Dumb writing.

by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2019 10:50 AM

Yeah, they just let it hang in the air when Mary Louise told Celeste her ex husband had a new family. That means the twins have even more half siblings Celeste didn't know about.

by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2019 10:51 AM

The whole show is not about reality, R77. It's about pandering to the middle aged Frau audience.

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2019 10:52 AM

Did Celeste forget she’s a lawyer?

by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2019 10:54 AM

r77 It's the same problem r74 and others pointed out - wish fulfillment by adult writers. Precocious kids have always struck me as a writer's way to try and retroactively make their own bland childhood more exciting than it was. Or maybe it's an infantile desire to return to that time. In any case, I've always hated that.

And yes, I cringed at that unhinged gag. Kids giving psychiatric assessments for fun!

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2019 10:56 AM

I'm on the fence so far this season but Meryl and Dern are bringing it. Even Reese is fun to watch. I can't stand Adam Scott/Ed and really don't get what Reese/Madeline sees in him. He is a whiny dork. Zoe Kravitz kills every scene she is in. They need to drop her ass.

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2019 11:16 AM

Anyone else found it weird how Bonnie walked up to Madeline and Celeste at the party with a great sense of urgency and told them Mary Louise might be onto something, as if she just gave her that look seconds ago, rather than hours earlier? I thought that was some really bad direction.

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2019 11:20 AM

[bold]Big Little Lies’ Renata Klein is much more than a meme[/bold]

[quote]The second season of Big Little Lies is even more of an embarrassment of acting riches than the first, with heavyweights like Meryl Streep and Crystal Fox joining the already strong, predominantly female cast of Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Zoë Kravitz, and Shailene Woodley. But now that we’ve reached the halfway point in season two, Laura Dern’s unbridled Renata Klein is the clear standout, surpassing even Streep’s masterpiece of passive-aggression, Mary Louise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2019 1:11 PM

Much as I love Renata's diva meltdowns, she is a cartoon at this point. No way would that doc or the principle put up with her aggressive insults.

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2019 1:33 PM

Why is Armabelle named that and not Annabelle? I’m guessing it’s to poke fun at nouveau riche pretensions. Also Madeline has “Beach” with an arrow on her kitchen wall—frau crossing!

Z.K. Character is a drip. She’s the got the lumpy eeyore personality. She’s brings the energy of the show to a halt. Get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2019 1:35 PM

[quote]Did Celeste forget she’s a lawyer?

In season 1, Madeline conveniently used Celeste and her legal skills to help with the Avenue Q controversy. But, after that Celeste and her bestie forget that she's a lawyer. It's hilarious how Celeste doesn't seem to have contact with former colleagues or others in the legal community.

This article sums up some of writing issues with the legal issues and points out how in season 1 Celeste didn't even bother to contact legal counsel after Perry's death. . But, then again it was Madeline who fucked things up telling the cops that Perry fell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2019 1:48 PM

[quote]Much as I love Renata's diva meltdowns, she is a cartoon at this point. No way would that doc or the principle put up with her aggressive insults.

At some point, there will be one person who won't put up with the insults. I'm guessing the bankruptcy lawyer will snap at Renata later on. I'm thinking there will be a showdown between Renata and the detective. The detective won't take her shit.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2019 1:52 PM

This show is now using a somewhat strong cast to deliver soap opera lines. The child coming up with unhinged to show the mother? Good lord. Do actresses of this caliber not get to call bullshit when it's written?

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2019 2:57 PM

Renata's monologue about her plans for her child and being a bad picker was silly.

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2019 3:00 PM

r89 Reese is an exec producer on this so I don't know why she didn't bring it up. On the other hand, let's not forget that actors aren't screenwriters (for the most part). They don't all have a sense for what's good dialogue and what isn't.

by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2019 3:02 PM

Please don't shoot my taint instead of my face should be something an actor should be able to say.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2019 3:09 PM

R91 Agreed that they may not know what good dialogue is, but these are just common sense observations. I think they don't care about what may be realistic and prefer to go for the dramatic. That's when you get in trouble, unless that is what you came out of the gate with.

by Anonymousreply 93July 1, 2019 3:10 PM

So Bonnie’s mother has the sight? Guess there won’t be a season three for Debbie Downer. The one night stand was a set-up. Roofied by the bartender. But perhaps not at the behest of Mary Louise. The surfer dude is not what he seems. I agree with the poster who wrote that he’s a relative of Perry’s and is digging around on his own to get to the truth but he’s actually falling for Jane. Well, the writing is cliched shit:)

by Anonymousreply 94July 1, 2019 3:15 PM

These precocious kids are so annoying. The only reality is when the twins fight in the car. I’m sure all of us with siblings remember backseat car battles. My mother got so mad, she made us get out and walk home.

Renata’s husband is very unattractive. He has that boozy bloated bad skin.

by Anonymousreply 95July 1, 2019 3:16 PM

Renata was hospitalized for a nervous breakdown. Look how high strung she is. Bi-polar or Borderline Personality Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 96July 1, 2019 3:17 PM

I can't stand Ed! Just the way he as sitting out on the patio with his legs up and his ass in our face. He is an ass. And he is enjoying being an ass. He thinks he is entitled because Madeline cheated on him. I don't blame her. He hasn't got a bit of joy in his whole body. Show him the door Madeline.

by Anonymousreply 97July 1, 2019 3:23 PM

Why is Ed still with Madeline when she FUCKED ANOTHER GUY? A guy who is a 10, by the way.

It's like he has no life of his own.

by Anonymousreply 98July 1, 2019 3:25 PM

I just had a really evil thought. What if Mary Louise stole some of those Ambien and pain killers and plans to use them to stage an accidental overdose or unfortunate car accident for poor Celeste. It would be difficult to prove that she’s an unfit mother otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 99July 1, 2019 3:25 PM

[quote]Renata’s husband is very unattractive. He has that boozy bloated bad skin.

Jeffrey Nordling has aged badly. He was quite handsome years ago.

by Anonymousreply 100July 1, 2019 3:27 PM

[quote]I can't stand Ed! Just the way he as sitting out on the patio with his legs up and his ass in our face. He is an ass. And he is enjoying being an ass. He thinks he is entitled because Madeline cheated on him. I don't blame her. He hasn't got a bit of joy in his whole body. Show him the door Madeline.

I can't stand him either. He's too whiny.

by Anonymousreply 101July 1, 2019 3:29 PM

[quote]I just had a really evil thought. What if Mary Louise stole some of those Ambien and pain killers and plans to use them to stage an accidental overdose or unfortunate car accident for poor Celeste. It would be difficult to prove that she’s an unfit mother otherwise.

I wouldn't put past the show to do this. I also think it will be revealed that Mary Louise killed her son, but made it look like an accident and Perry knew.

by Anonymousreply 102July 1, 2019 3:31 PM

r100 He used to be handsome for a hot minute. But then the hair went quite quickly and now he's a mess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103July 1, 2019 3:33 PM

As usual, modern complainers ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 104July 1, 2019 3:40 PM

r104 What's that's supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 105July 1, 2019 3:41 PM

All of the wives are hot and the husbands, with the exception of the departed Perry, are not. Jane is plain but she’s not married. No wonder Celeste still fantasizes about that Big Dick Energy.

by Anonymousreply 106July 1, 2019 3:41 PM

It means people now complain so much that they can’t even enjoy anything anymore. I see it everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 107July 1, 2019 3:42 PM

I’m not complaining. I like speculating about plot and motive. The show is better with a second or third viewing of each episode to appreciate how the acting triumps over the writing. Not a complaint. It’s an observation. Dickhead.

by Anonymousreply 108July 1, 2019 3:48 PM

I screamed like a girl when I saw Iain all dressed up as Ziggy Stardust and Bonnie and her mother looked just divine at the divine at the Disco themed birthday party.

These ladies really make these entitled, for the most part priviledged soccer moms so fun, watching their lives unravel.

And yeah, Marie Louise is so going to try to get her hands on Ziggy as well finding some reason why Jane's not a fit mother who claims her son is a product of rape.

Renata is such a wonderful passive agressive bitch in that monologue where she blames herself for having such a lousy taste in men in her life. Gordon should cut his losses, because Renata will never forgive and forget.

by Anonymousreply 109July 1, 2019 3:50 PM

r107 I adore this show but I also love critiquing certain aspects of it that aren't working. Along with speculation, that usually generates most of the conversation. Adoration is nice but I can only praise their acting so many times before it gets stale.

by Anonymousreply 110July 1, 2019 3:54 PM

I am surprised Renata didn't murder every single guy at the bankruptcy hearing. Renata we know and love by now doesn't take humiliation very well. And even if she doesn't give a fuck about her marriage with that loser Gordon you don't ask someone like Renata, who feels like she's cornered, to take off her wedding ring.

Loved the entitlement of the couple (one of them being a lawyer apparently) going into this hearing and being totally shocked that they had to let go of personal stuff they didn't list.

by Anonymousreply 111July 1, 2019 3:55 PM

They all looked great at that party. I wanted to be there so bad!

by Anonymousreply 112July 1, 2019 3:55 PM

r112, me too.

by Anonymousreply 113July 1, 2019 3:57 PM

[quote]Loved the entitlement of the couple (one of them being a lawyer apparently) going into this hearing and being totally shocked that they had to let go of personal stuff they didn't list.

Why didn't their lawyer warn them about this beforehand? Just hide the wristwatch and the wedding ring from plain sight.

by Anonymousreply 114July 1, 2019 3:59 PM

[quote]So Bonnie’s mother has the sight? Guess there won’t be a season three for Debbie Downer.

I don't get Bonnie's drunk bitch of a mother acting with OTT motherly concern for her adult daughter when the flashbacks of them together show her trying to drown her when she was a child.

by Anonymousreply 115July 1, 2019 4:13 PM

Ed looked like total shit at the disco party.

by Anonymousreply 116July 1, 2019 4:23 PM

Can you refuse to hand over the jewelry? Even if they see it?

Bonnie is a chill Cali bohemian black woman(yin to yang of the CA society) who helps out with the artistic/symbolic/metaphoric side of the show(which they copied from The Affair, and have since abandoned in favor of The Real Housewives of Monterey meme/gif inspiring schtick that the gays go crazy for and drives up numbers). She’s needed as a foil. One more shrill rich woman and it’s Sex In The City by way of Jessica Fletcher. Or the remake of The Women.

by Anonymousreply 117July 1, 2019 4:31 PM

Has anyone ever slapped Meryl Streep before? I mean on-screen?

I don't even think the Nazis slapped her in "Sophie's Choice".

by Anonymousreply 118July 1, 2019 4:47 PM

That was shockingly glorious.

by Anonymousreply 119July 1, 2019 4:48 PM

Glenn now has that gif as her screensaver.

by Anonymousreply 120July 1, 2019 4:49 PM

It feels like the Mary Louise plotline and M’s over-the-top performance are in a completely different show about a psycho grandma bent on revenge.

by Anonymousreply 121July 1, 2019 4:58 PM

I don’t think Meryl’s acting is over the top. She’s slyly subversive. And batshit. But they are revealing that in a slow burn. The flashbacks are going to be OTT when we see just how Perry and his brother was raised and how her other son died. The husband was an abusive monster and she attempted to put an end to him and accidentally killed her son? Wanna bet he died of an overdose of prescription meds?

by Anonymousreply 122July 1, 2019 5:03 PM

Î wonder if Marie poisoned either her husband's or her other son's pizza and that's why Perry liked Pizza so much (because Marie protected Perry from, what she perceived to be, his biggest bully at home)? I think Marie Louise will turn out to be a very creepy helicopter mom / grandma. A creepy version of Maggie Smith's character in Keeping Mum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123July 1, 2019 5:12 PM

Changed my mind. I think Mary Louise is slowly poisoning Celeste with microdoses of the Ambien and pain killers and when she drinks it has the effect of being roofied. The bartender’s job was to keep the drinks coming and then making it look like he was just helping an incapacitated customer home. Mary Louise coming home early with the boys and finding the guy in the house was carefully planned. He will be a witness against Celeste in a custody hearing, as will the boys, and of course the BEST grandma in the world.

by Anonymousreply 124July 1, 2019 5:21 PM

Bonnie is so chill she’s practically a cadaver. Zoe Kravitz is a very bad actor.

by Anonymousreply 125July 1, 2019 5:25 PM

r124, what bothers me a bit about this premise is that it kind of lets Celeste off the hook for being such a hot mess herself (even without Marie Louise's help).

To me the show isn't about these (strong) women being pushed by others to be anything but strong women, but they self destructing / sabotaging themselves without any help from outsiders.

by Anonymousreply 126July 1, 2019 5:27 PM

Renata’s husband is responsible for their financial woes. If Celeste is taking Ambien does it make her a bad mother? Taking Ambien when you don’t know someone else is slipping it into your food or drink or some other medication doesn’t let you off the hook for being a bad parent. It makes you look like a bad parent because someone wants to take your kids away. Is that self-destructive? Zoe is guilt ridden. So is Madeline. Strong women who made choices that have consequences but were they self sabotaging? Madeline is bored with her husband but doesn’t want to be alone. Her affair was a totally selfish act. She didn’t confess. She never expected to be found out.

by Anonymousreply 127July 1, 2019 5:48 PM

R118 Meryl got slapped in that horrid movie she did with Glenn "The House of the Spirits". She got a bloody nose.

I can remember if Kevin Kline slapped her but he definitely knocked her about in Sophie's Choice.

She also got slapped in "Postcards from the Edge".

by Anonymousreply 128July 1, 2019 5:51 PM

Didn't Hoffman slap her in Kramer vs. Kramer?

by Anonymousreply 129July 1, 2019 5:52 PM

[quote]Why didn't their lawyer warn them about this beforehand? Just hide the wristwatch and the wedding ring from plain sight.

I thought that was stupid because he told them not mention the little girl's birthday party, but didn't tell them to hide the expensive jewelry.

by Anonymousreply 130July 1, 2019 6:48 PM

Why o why o why do all threads have to be ruined by obsessive Frauen?

by Anonymousreply 131July 1, 2019 7:04 PM

r131 Example?

by Anonymousreply 132July 1, 2019 7:06 PM

I put all the trolls, who try to push my buttons so I reply to them, on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 133July 1, 2019 7:07 PM

Joe, the hot bartender, is Mr. Mira Sorvino.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134July 1, 2019 7:28 PM

Slap heard round the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 1, 2019 7:37 PM

I think Meryl got slapped by Renee Zellweger in that cancer movie too.

by Anonymousreply 136July 1, 2019 7:40 PM

Ok, lots of M slaps, but how many were Oscar winners?

by Anonymousreply 137July 1, 2019 7:50 PM

Okay, guys I've got it. Mary Louise actually bought the town of Monterey years ago. Everyone is in her pocket: the detective, the bartender, the psychiatrist, even the school principal, and yes, of course Jane's new surfer boyfriend. She knew that at some point her son would abuse Celeste and things would get out of hand, so she bought the city knowing that, at some point, things would go south, but she knew that she'd want to keep her grandchildren above all, so that's why she's infiltrated the town as if she's just some grieving mother.

Also, the Mary Louise we're seeing isn't Mary Louise, but her twin sister Sara Bernice, who's actually under a mystic spell, unknowingly doing her bidding on the ground. How'd she learn these supernatural arts? From Bonnie's mother of course. The two of them are obviously working together. Everyone assumes that she looked at Bonnie for suspicious reasons, but it was because she's the daughter of her new age teacher. The thing is, they had a falling out years ago, so things have been tense. That's why she had a stroke... that's Mary Louise's doing.

The season will end with all the women dead except for Mary Louise (the real Mary Louise, not Sara Bernice) and Bonnie's mother. They'll have a mystical duel on the beach using nothing but furtive glances and "the sight". Tom, the hipster coffee shop worker from last season who's been SUSPICIOUSLY MISSING from this season, will reveal himself to be Perry's actually not dead brother, which will catch Mary Louise by surprise, allowing Bonnie's mother to move in for the kill. Tom will then kill Bonnie's mom for killing Mary Louise, and then Sara Bernice will show up on the beach, as she had been watching the events unfold the entire time, and will confess to Tom that's she's actually his mother. Not Mary Louise. The two will walk into the ocean together as Sufjan Stevens plays over the credits.

by Anonymousreply 138July 1, 2019 8:06 PM

R138 lol

by Anonymousreply 139July 1, 2019 8:10 PM

[R138] You should be writing screenplays!

by Anonymousreply 140July 1, 2019 8:17 PM

For David Lynch !

by Anonymousreply 141July 1, 2019 9:08 PM

R129 Dustie slapped before the first scenes where she leaves him. It wasn't on camera.

Oh, she also got whacked by her dad in The Deer Hunter

by Anonymousreply 142July 1, 2019 9:13 PM

tl;dr @ R138

by Anonymousreply 143July 1, 2019 10:04 PM

Is Meryl wearing fake teeth?

by Anonymousreply 144July 1, 2019 10:33 PM

r144 She is! She wanted similar teeth to Askars so she'd feel more connected to him, dentally.

by Anonymousreply 145July 1, 2019 10:39 PM

Did anybody else want Meryl to crash the disco party and start belting ABBA songs?

by Anonymousreply 146July 1, 2019 10:46 PM

r146, I am still shocked she did not. Way to drop the ball, David E. Kelley.

by Anonymousreply 147July 1, 2019 10:54 PM

The bartender is not so hot in the cold light of day.

by Anonymousreply 148July 1, 2019 10:58 PM

Meryl is amazing. She took this show and kicked ass. Everyone has elevated their game especially Shailene. I am thrilled people don’t know where it’s going.

by Anonymousreply 149July 2, 2019 1:09 AM

Maybe they can have the girls consciously decide to come together and murder Mary Louise in the final ep?

Season 3 can then kick off with the arrival of Mary Lou's younger, more glamorous sister, intent on finding out what happened to her big sis. The actress playing her? Glenn, of course!

by Anonymousreply 150July 2, 2019 6:18 PM

Before the season started a few of the actresses said there wouldn’t be a season 3. They probably knew season 2 wasn’t very good.

by Anonymousreply 151July 3, 2019 12:05 AM

r151 Doubt it. They only did this season because they got Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 152July 3, 2019 12:06 AM

In costume parties on certain types of shows, every single guest looks like they were styled by professional costume designers, hairstylists, and makeup artists. In real life some people look homemade and raggedy.

by Anonymousreply 153July 3, 2019 12:08 AM

Really fucking bored by this show. Season 1 was so tight. I can’t imagine wanting to watch this again.

by Anonymousreply 154July 3, 2019 12:18 AM

You lost me at young and glamorous for Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 155July 3, 2019 2:45 AM

The ratings for this are higher than first season. Even Nicole said she would do another season.

by Anonymousreply 156July 3, 2019 2:47 AM

[quote]In costume parties on certain types of shows, every single guest looks like they were styled by professional costume designers, hairstylists, and makeup artists. In real life some people look homemade and raggedy.

I have noticed this too. In season 1, I thought a single mom like Jane would have a cheap looking Audrey Hepburn costume. With the disco party all of their costumes looked great minus Ed's costume and wig.

by Anonymousreply 157July 3, 2019 3:01 AM

Also, Celeste — the great legal mind of Monterey — was clueless about physician-patient privilege???

I agree the writing this season sucks. Someone in an earlier thread nailed it: Season one felt like a novel; this is now a soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 158July 3, 2019 6:23 AM

r158

the therapist brought this up that Celeste knows this but she is so upset about everything that she is not thinking

by Anonymousreply 159July 3, 2019 12:42 PM

Has the therapist not clocked yet that Celeste is overmedicating? I doubt Robin Weigert is prescribing her all of those pills.

by Anonymousreply 160July 3, 2019 12:55 PM

I don’t think the shrink knows about the drugs or hooking up with random men. Those children need to be taken away from her!

by Anonymousreply 161July 3, 2019 7:50 PM

James Tupper is no Olivier but he's hotter than fire. 161 posts and I don't think anybody's even mentioned him. So I must.

by Anonymousreply 162July 3, 2019 9:44 PM

[quote]James Tupper is no Olivier

You can say that again; I bitched about his acting a couple of episodes ago. I think he used to be hotter.

by Anonymousreply 163July 3, 2019 9:46 PM

He’s okay.

by Anonymousreply 164July 3, 2019 10:37 PM

I think Psycho Ed will snap, kill or be killed, and at some point Madeline with fuck Nathan again. I love James Tupper, he's so funny.

by Anonymousreply 165July 4, 2019 4:11 AM

Anne Heche got Tupper at his hottest

by Anonymousreply 166July 4, 2019 5:16 AM

What was Tupper known for before BLL? I don't think I've ever seen his work aside from this.

by Anonymousreply 167July 4, 2019 5:20 AM

Right before BLL he was in that show American Housewife with Alicia Silverstone. I remember him from Men In Trees a tv show where he hooked up with Heche.

by Anonymousreply 168July 4, 2019 6:06 AM

oops it was American Woman not American Housewife

by Anonymousreply 169July 4, 2019 6:06 AM

James Tupper was on Revenge, another Kelley show (though Revenge was from Mike Kelley and BLL is by David E. Kelley)

by Anonymousreply 170July 4, 2019 7:11 AM

I think Tupper is very hot. Definitely the hottest man on this show.

Never heard of him before.

by Anonymousreply 171July 4, 2019 12:26 PM

Any on-set rumors? Who loathes whom?

by Anonymousreply 172July 4, 2019 1:11 PM

r172 This. We had someone who worked on the Sharp Objects set last year, though they only commented on technical stuff in that thread. We need some good old gossip.

by Anonymousreply 173July 4, 2019 1:48 PM

R138 that would the screenplay if it was a Ryan Murphy mess

by Anonymousreply 174July 4, 2019 2:51 PM

R85, it's 'pal' -- principal.

Just remember, the principal is the 'pal' of your school!

by Anonymousreply 175July 4, 2019 3:14 PM

I think the disco party is the wish fulfillment of the parents. They don't give a crap about what their kids REALLY want. They give them what they think they want.

by Anonymousreply 176July 4, 2019 3:14 PM

R134, and hot he is!

He's back next week, I think.

by Anonymousreply 177July 4, 2019 3:16 PM

The whole damn show is wish fulfillment of the writers. They make eight year old kids like music from the 70's. Yeah, okay.

by Anonymousreply 178July 4, 2019 3:19 PM

where did the coffee cafe owner go?

by Anonymousreply 179July 4, 2019 3:32 PM

Wtf do you queens think you are watching? This is a high camp trashy nighttime soap with A list Oscar winners just like last season. You old biddies are complaining about reality?

Fuck right off, seriously.

by Anonymousreply 180July 4, 2019 4:45 PM

[quote]The whole damn show is wish fulfillment of the writers. They make eight year old kids like music from the 70's. Yeah, okay.

Reese’s obnoxious daughter’s playlists in Season 1 was bad enough.

It would be more realistic if Renata hosted a country themed birthday party and hired Lil Nas X to perform. The kids would be exited about that.

by Anonymousreply 181July 4, 2019 5:07 PM

[quote]where did the coffee cafe owner go?

I’m assuming after the clusterfuck of Perry dying on his first date he stopped returning Jane’s calls. A pity. I loathe the 19-year-old looking Aspie.

by Anonymousreply 182July 4, 2019 5:08 PM

Agree. First guy was 1000x better for Jane.

by Anonymousreply 183July 4, 2019 5:47 PM

Props to the music supervisor for using two of Donna Summer's best songs - Try Me, I Know We Can Make It and Lucky.

by Anonymousreply 184July 6, 2019 10:13 PM

A few plot devices this season are from the scratched and dented section of screenwriting 101, and the kids can behave implausibly. But the show overall is engaging and worth a look.

Meryl Streep’s passive menacing is pretty delicious. I agree the teeth are fake, but the slap looked real.

It’s like Melrose Place but with progeria.

by Anonymousreply 185July 6, 2019 11:57 PM

Do you think Zoe and Nicole ever talk about that time Nicole fucked her father?

by Anonymousreply 186July 7, 2019 8:29 AM

Jane's boyfriend looked better at the party, tho. Still not my type.

by Anonymousreply 187July 7, 2019 8:31 AM

It would’ve been funny if Jane started dating a guy who looked like Perry!

by Anonymousreply 188July 7, 2019 8:32 AM

I don't Reese looked very 70s at the party. She liked Barbie's Jem doll rip-off from 1985.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189July 7, 2019 8:53 PM

Join us here for the next episode!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190July 7, 2019 11:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!