Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Egyptian Magic skin cream

It's been extolled by the likes of Kate Hudson and numerous other celebrities; is it actually magic in a jar, or is it all just marketing hype? It has literally six ingredients, the primary one being olive oil, followed by a mixture of honey byproducts produced by bees. It's a bit expensive, but apparently the jars last a long time. Does it do anything?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2019 1:54 AM

All bullshit as usual.

by Anonymousreply 1June 30, 2019 11:12 AM

Hyped for sure, but all of the ingredients in it are in fact proven to be good for your skin. Beeswax has been used for cosmetic purposes for thousands of years.

by Anonymousreply 2June 30, 2019 11:17 AM

I've heard Rihanna and January Jones talk about this stuff too. They both have flawless skin though, so perhaps it does something.

by Anonymousreply 3June 30, 2019 11:20 AM

Ingredients:

[quote]olea europaea fruit oil, cera alba [beeswax], mel [honey], pollen, propolis cera, royal jelly

Those are some pretty nice all-natural ingredients. I'd definitely buy it if it was cheaper. It's €45 for 118ml /4oz where I'm from, so way beyond my budget.

by Anonymousreply 4June 30, 2019 11:21 AM

I've used it before and quite like it. The price tag seems crazy when you look at the size of the jar R4, but the reality is that a 4 oz. canister of it would likely last the average person an entire year. It is mainly made out of oil, so you really only have to glide your fingers on the surface and you basically have enough to rub all over your face or wherever else you want to apply it. Because it's oil, it melts quickly once it's on your fingers, and very little goes a long way.

by Anonymousreply 5June 30, 2019 11:26 AM

I've seen this at Costco before, sold in a value pack that comes with three different-sized jars, the largest being the 4 ounce one. It was around $30 IIRC, which isn't bad given that most other retailers want around that price for the 4 ounce jar alone.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2019 11:29 AM

r6 Damn, that's a real bargain. I wonder if there's a catch involved - perhaps they were close to the expiration date? Which is mainly bullshit anyway, so that wouldn't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 7June 30, 2019 11:35 AM

I don't think they're nearing expiration or anything, R7. I think they've just licensed wholesale packs like this to Costco as it's a bulk store. $29.99 per their website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 30, 2019 11:42 AM

xcellent lube for my fragile cunt

by Anonymousreply 9June 30, 2019 12:57 PM

"Does it do anything?" Yes, OP. It separates you from your money.

by Anonymousreply 10June 30, 2019 9:16 PM

OP "It's been extolled by the likes of Kate Hudson",

Hmm...didn't know she majored in biochemistry.

by Anonymousreply 11June 30, 2019 9:29 PM

You bitches are so cynical. All six of those ingredients are scientifically proven to be good for your skin, product hype or not. Kate Hudson might not have a degree in biochemistry, but she clearly likes the product because it works.

by Anonymousreply 12June 30, 2019 10:53 PM

You could make your own

by Anonymousreply 13June 30, 2019 10:55 PM

The reason this stuff likely works so well is because beeswax is naturally antimicrobial, so can prevent blemishes and will aid in killing any bacteria on the skin. It's also a humectant, so it holds in moisture and will give your skin a glow. Per this article:

[quote] The few studies showed an antimicrobic effectiveness of beeswax against overall Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger; these inhibitory effects are enhanced synergistically with other natural products such as honey or olive oil.

Bingo—olive oil and honey are two of the other major ingredients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 30, 2019 10:59 PM

I knew a hippie lady in college who made all of her own salves and lotions R13. She knew what she was doing so they were really nice, but I've seen other people attempt it and completely fuck it up. There is a science to it and you have to make sure all the measurements and ratios are correct, or it often doesn't turn out right.

by Anonymousreply 15June 30, 2019 11:01 PM

R8, Thanks, I went ahead and ordered some. This way, I can look even younger than I already do!

by Anonymousreply 16July 1, 2019 12:04 AM

It's no Queen Helene Mint Julip Masque!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 1, 2019 12:09 AM

I am a fan of this stuff and use it after shaving. It smells a bit like playdough, but it really keeps your skin soft.

by Anonymousreply 18July 1, 2019 5:28 AM

It’s racist!

by Anonymousreply 19July 1, 2019 5:29 AM

I saw it at Costco and [italic] almost [/almost] bought it. Maybe next time...

by Anonymousreply 20July 1, 2019 8:00 AM

has titty milk in it....

by Anonymousreply 21July 1, 2019 8:16 AM

I bought it, I use it, but i'm not sure. I love the natural ingredients but it does feel quite heavy and oily when it goes on. I only ever use it as a night cream after cleansing, and I think (like the classic Tyra Banks vaseline thing) it's more a case of it putting a protective or 'sealing' layer over the pores so it keeps the cleanliness in and small particles of dust and microdirt out.

Although I have bad skin in general so maybe it works in other ways too for people with better skin lol. I will say the little jar lasts forever.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2019 5:21 PM

r22 Yeah, it does seem like the stuff you'd use after a toner and a serum, to seal all of that in.

by Anonymousreply 23July 3, 2019 5:23 PM

Same trick as always: whipped water + wax

by Anonymousreply 24July 3, 2019 5:24 PM

R13 is right. I've been making a similar concoction for years. People love it.

In the olive oil, I soak lavender so it has a nice scent. But it's just I fused olive oil, beeswax and vitamin E as a preservative.

When I make this for myself I add - horrors! Crisco. Because my skin is really dry.

Yes, it sounds disgusting but nothing help my winter skin better.

by Anonymousreply 25July 3, 2019 5:32 PM

Ew...Gross R25, I have just gotten fatter from reading your post. Crisco? Gurl, NO.

by Anonymousreply 26July 3, 2019 5:37 PM

r25 Your skin is so dry that you need Crisco in addition to olive oil and Vitamin E? Ouch.

Have you tried taking vitamin B5, orally and/or topically? It's great for increasing skin moisture. Omega acids could help you as well, although that would of course be more expensive than Crisco.

by Anonymousreply 27July 3, 2019 6:00 PM

Yes, r27. But the winters and my skin is so dry, that's the only way I can keep from getting dry skin.

It works for me. And it's not a lot. You have to get the ratios right.

by Anonymousreply 28July 3, 2019 10:40 PM

I've used this cream before and can attest to it. It's good stuff. More like a salve than a cream, but it really does leave the skin smooth. I also will apply some after I've shaved, and it mitigates any razorburn/irritation on my face. No breakouts from it either, despite the fact that it's so thick. As R2 says, people have been applying these ingredients to their skin for thousands of years (olive oil, honey, beeswax), and for good reason. I think the high price point has to do with the bee ingredients, which are a bit expensive.

by Anonymousreply 29July 10, 2019 10:12 PM

spam posted by ip address 5.226.139.164 removed.

by Anonymousreply 30July 10, 2019 10:12 PM

r29 Yes, propolis and royal jelly in particular tend to be expensive.

by Anonymousreply 31July 10, 2019 10:13 PM

terry miller's cumwads get my dry skin thru the winter. fer shure.

by Anonymousreply 32July 11, 2019 12:19 PM

It's no Oriental Pearl Cream! Your friends will actually accuse you of having a face lift!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33July 11, 2019 12:39 PM

Gullible consumers paying a lot of money for hype. You can get the same results with extra virgin olive oil or squalane oil for a third of the price.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 11, 2019 12:48 PM

I’ve used it. It ain’t anything special.

by Anonymousreply 35July 11, 2019 1:15 PM

I would try a little on my No-No first and take it from there

by Anonymousreply 36July 11, 2019 2:35 PM

Is this the one with ground up pearls?

by Anonymousreply 37July 11, 2019 4:21 PM

It did wonders for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 11, 2019 4:27 PM

I only hear about it when celebs talk about it in magazines. I don't think they even do regular advertising. I read an article about it (maybe Vanity Fair? Don't remember, sorry), and the owners are very secretive about the formula and its origins...kinda makes me think it's just hype. Hype that works, I suppose, because the next time I was at the store after reading that, I went looking for it. Almost 40 bucks! My skin doesn't really need more oil. Coconut oil (which everyone swears by) makes me break out and olive oil doesn't sink in...just leaves me greasy and smelling like a salad. I did have a thing of sweet almond oil, though, that did seem to agree with my skin very nicely...but I ran out and am waiting to find some on sale again.

by Anonymousreply 39July 11, 2019 5:52 PM

it's not anything special. i've bought 2 tubs of this crap and it's unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 40July 18, 2019 1:01 PM

It's not olive oil, you uncultured rubes, it's olea Europa!!!

by Anonymousreply 41July 18, 2019 1:12 PM

It's not olive oil, you uncultured rubes, it's olea Europa!!!

by Anonymousreply 42July 18, 2019 1:12 PM

It’s shit

by Anonymousreply 43July 18, 2019 1:40 PM

Umm R3, are you sure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 18, 2019 1:45 PM

[quote]Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil is the oil obtained from the ripe fruit of Olea europaea.

It's olive oil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45July 18, 2019 1:46 PM

Are you beautiful yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 46July 18, 2019 1:46 PM

R45 is an uncultured rube!@

by Anonymousreply 47July 18, 2019 1:58 PM

R45 is an uncultured rube!@

by Anonymousreply 48July 18, 2019 1:58 PM

I've been using it again recently as a night cream (It's winter here), and have noticed some slight improvements to my terrible skin. It's keeping it moist, hydrated, nourished, and protected from micro bacteria etc. But like I said upthread, it is VERY thick and goes on like vaseline. You really have to rub it in for quite a while for the skin to absorb it properly. I wouldn't use it in summer, or during the day.

But I have very naturally oily mediterranean skin. I think it would be great if anyone has dry / cracked skin, especially with blemishes. And because it's so hydrating and has so many natural ingredients i'm sure it's good for anti-ageing.

by Anonymousreply 49July 18, 2019 2:55 PM

It keeps my anus smooth and supple

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2019 9:07 AM

For $40 would it kill them to package it in something less dollar store looking?

by Anonymousreply 51August 5, 2019 12:12 PM

I suspect the cheap look is a strong part of its brand by now and would hurt their sales if they changed it. And much of its "magic" would be lost if it looked like just another cream from a French lab.

by Anonymousreply 52August 5, 2019 12:38 PM

I slap on my own cream which I make with honey, avocado and yogurt, its quite messy to make but I find it really good for my skin.

by Anonymousreply 53August 5, 2019 12:42 PM

Buy some raw honey - use it as facial twice a week and then use cold-pressed sweet almond oil as a moisturizer Honey is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and will lock in moisture. The almond oil is non-comedigenic and full of vitamin E for your skin.

by Anonymousreply 54August 5, 2019 12:49 PM

Wouldn't olive oil become rancid rather quickly and unleash oxidization onto your skin?

by Anonymousreply 55August 5, 2019 12:53 PM

I’m interested in trying it but putting it at bedtime , wouldn’t it make a mess of your pillow? It seems greasy/oily from what I heard.

by Anonymousreply 56August 5, 2019 1:01 PM

aint buy nothin in that tacky crappy packaging.

im told it cost them 2 bux to make the stuff....

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2019 1:35 AM

Wow!!! Kate Hudson!!! Oh my stars! I’ll have to use this stuff!!

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2019 1:41 AM

$40 for 4 oz. of product isn't bad value for money, provided you have no issues with olive oil, propolis, honey or royal jelly.

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2019 1:41 AM

Thank you for that, r33. I was hoping Nancy Kwan would show up in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2019 1:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!