Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2 weeks of vacation: Mexico or Colombia?

Help me, oh well-travelled DL‘ers

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2019 10:45 PM

Mexico. Specifically, Puerto Vallarta.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2019 7:48 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention Guadalajara during your trip. Beautiful architecture, lovely people and very mellow yet not at all boring. They are close by, and pair up well together for a 2 week getaway.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2019 7:52 AM

Mexico

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2019 7:55 AM

Wow, that's a tough one! Mexico has better food, ruins, but it's also huge and vast. Colombia is more cheaper and more compact. I guess it depends what you're wanting to see or get out of your two weeks?

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2019 7:57 AM

*cheaper and more compact.

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2019 7:57 AM

Thank you, R1/R2 and R3/R4! To give you some background info:

I am 32, and not exactly one who would spend all day in a resort or on the beach. I like to explore architecture and history, sample lots of local food. Maybe attend a play or opera.

As I don’t have a driver license (long story) I am dependent on public transport and renting bikes/scooters.

I will probably be travelling with my best friend (female), but I may decide to go alone if her schedule doesn’t allow for a two-week vacation.

My Spanish is B1, so not terrible but certainly not fluent. I‘m as white and blonde as they come, so no blending in for me.

This will be my first time travelling to Latin-America

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2019 9:03 AM

I would do both. You'll be bored to death for 2 weeks in Puerto Vallarta. It's a beach town and there just isn't much else there to do besides eat and drink.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2019 9:54 AM

Neither.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2019 10:28 AM

Colombia. Hotter men, better drugs, more interesting history/scenery. Cartegena, Valledupar, Monguí, Florencia, Raud.al del Jirijirimo, San José del Guaviare, Punta Brava.

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2019 10:50 AM

This might help.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2019 10:52 AM

R7 Two weeks might be too much in PV for some, I agree, if you don't get out and explore a bit. It isn't a beach town. That would be Cabo (gross). PV has tiny beaches that tend to be rocky aside from the manmade ones in the resort zone.

OP, PV has a wonderful zoo (you can play with the baby tigers), and many different places to sightsee and just relax. You can go from the jungle to the charming older part of town in 20 minutes. Some of the best food in the world, and I am not exaggerating. Many expats make for a vibrant food scene. Nearly everyone speaks English, and then some. You most certainly don't need a car, in fact it would be a pain in the ass. PV is also a great place if you need inexpensive, but very high end cosmetic dental work, but I digress....

However, if you are into architecture, museums, and CULTCHA! but don't want the overwhelm of a large city like Mexico City, Guadalajara is a very solid choice. You don't need to drive, you will get along just fine with their transit system and cabs are numerous. Many people there speak enough English that you will get by just fine. Guadalajara also has a fantastic food scene, and quality night life that isn't as touristy as PV.

One could argue that 2 weeks in one city anywhere could get a bit tedious. I like to think of it as immersing myself in the vibe though. The other thing about either of these two cities is that crime is very low. In PV it is nearly non existent. This is something to take into consideration be it Mexico or Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2019 12:03 PM

Thank you very much, R11: I have literally taken notes. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2019 12:46 PM

Easy choice: Colombia! Colombia: big dicks and cocaine. Mexico: tiny pingas and thieves. Done and done!! ✅

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2019 1:07 PM

Yikes. Neither.

Go to Lima, Peru - all the fun, much less of the scary.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2019 1:21 PM

I am in PV presently and keep in mind it is very hot and humid. It is hard to do much other than swim. If you are coming in the summer head to Mexico City. Dreams come true in El DF.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2019 1:28 PM

Argentina

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2019 1:36 PM

Just stay out of the DR.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2019 1:51 PM

R14 Never heard anyone say anything about Lima. It’s like the city barely exists. What’s your experience?

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2019 3:00 PM

Interesting city in general. Moderate amount of historical sites and ruins. Beaches nearby to relax.

Excellent food at restaurants that would take weeks to get a reservation anywhere else in the world.

Stay in Miraflores.

Remember, your other stated options were Mexico and Colombia - so safety is a very relative statement.

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2019 3:56 PM

[quote]As I don’t have a driver license (long story) I am dependent on public transport and renting bikes/scooters.

You wouldn't want to drive in Mexico anyway. (Don't know about Colombia.)

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2019 5:12 PM

The Dominican Republic is hot right now!!! Great deals to be had as well. Catch a flight ASAP. And be sure to sample all of their delicious cocktails from the brown bartenders as well as the minibar in the room. Have fun!!

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2019 7:47 PM

Snorkelling in Bahamas is another excellent choice

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2019 7:51 PM

Why not come to Sweden? We’re having a festival this sommar we have only once every 90 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2019 8:17 PM

Come to the Dominican Republic! Pina coladas on the beach ... and a little something else too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2019 8:20 PM

Costa Rica. Hands down.

by Anonymousreply 25June 29, 2019 8:27 PM

Why, R25? Please do elaborate

by Anonymousreply 26June 29, 2019 8:32 PM

Puerto Vallarta is cancelled.

Don't listen to them OP, if you must go to Mexico, go to [bold]Tulum[/bold] or [bold]Holbox[/bold]. It's where all Americans go now.

Also, why not spend one week in Mexico and the other in Colombia ??? Why limit yourself to only one type of pinga ???

by Anonymousreply 27June 29, 2019 8:47 PM

If you are a size queen like me, go to Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 28June 29, 2019 8:57 PM

I hear Guatemala is nice.

by Anonymousreply 29June 29, 2019 9:28 PM

[quote] It's where all Americans go now.

You say that like it's a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 30June 29, 2019 9:39 PM

Costa Rica is very pretty, but it doesn't rank high in the areas the OP explained his interests in at r6.

PV is cancelled, my ass. Tulum, while gorgeous, doesn't hit the markers of what he is looking for. It is also having more crime issues as of late.

OP, it is big to put it mildly, but with a good guide for the first few days to help get you oriented, perhaps Mexico City would be the most enjoyable for your tastes. Gorgeous museums, great dining at all price levels, and a lot of history. The people are friendly, they have good transit, you will get along fine with the Spanish you have, and finding someone who speaks English isn't hard. You certainly won't be bored. The air quality can be horrible though, especially lately. Think L.A. when it is at its very worst, that is Mexico City on an average day.

by Anonymousreply 31June 29, 2019 9:47 PM

Colombia has overtaken the Netherlands as a flower exporter, of course you want to avoid them.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2019 12:44 AM

The thread should be how do you want to die, Mexico or Columbia. I’m choosing neither.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2019 1:41 AM

[quote]The thread should be how do you want to die, Mexico or Columbia.

You have a better chance of dying at Hudson University than at Columbia.

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2019 1:50 AM

[quote]If you are a size queen like me, go to Columbia.

So the lesser Ivies get the bigger dicks?

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2019 1:50 AM

I say Costa Rica because of it's pura vida. It is set in a rain forrest. You will see things you will never see anywhere else. The people are happy, they speak English, and we do speak a good amount of Spanish; they are very glad you are there. We have been a few times. We are middle-age white guys from NYC. The food is excellent and reasonably priced. There is plenty to do. At 32, you may like to go zip lining , horseback riding, hiking, or just hang out at the pool or ocean. We stayed in Manuel Antonio at a gay hotel. It's easy to get around. This trip is not about museums. For that, go to Paris or Florence. We have been around the world and Costa Rica was one of our favorites. You were asking about Latin America. And you don't have to worry about the water and the obnoxious police force (in Mexico). I enjoyed Caragena, but it doesn't sound like you could handle it unless your Spanish is fluent. Good luck, and explore this big world we live in.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2019 2:05 AM

Greece

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2019 5:23 AM

Costa Rica is very nice, beaches and jungle. Lots to see and do.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2019 9:58 AM

You couldn't add a poll? A or B and no poll lol

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2019 10:31 AM

No R39, because I want to read about people’s own experiences.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2019 12:50 PM

Very nice share, R36. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2019 12:51 PM

[quote] I am 32, and not exactly one who would spend all day in a resort or on the beach. I like to explore architecture and history, sample lots of local food. Maybe attend a play or opera.

Given this criteria, it sounds like you might enjoy a week in Mexico City and then another in Oaxaca City. Lots of museums, architecture, art, and above all else, excellent food. Some of the world's best.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2019 2:49 PM

Thank you, R42!! I’m starting to think Mexico may be my best option

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2019 2:51 PM

In Mexico City, I got fucked by an uber hot Venezuelan. So I recommend you go there.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote] Never heard anyone say anything about Lima. It’s like the city barely exists. What’s your experience?

Most travelers bypass Lima or only spend a day or two there before moving onward to other parts of the country. It has its perks -- excellent food, some cute seaside sections -- but it's mostly a sprawling mess. Cuzco and Arequipa are the more charming big Peru cities with food and architecture.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2019 3:00 PM

Look into Merida in Mexico. It has everything you are interested in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2019 3:11 PM

Thank you R45, I suspected as much

Nice one R46 – never heard of it! :)

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2019 6:51 PM

OP, you already missed the best time to go to Mexico. Pride Mexico took place last week and it drew 1.5 million people. Now it's just boring given that there is nothing to celebrate. Head to Colombia instead !

[quote] Greece

Greece was cancelled last century.

[quote]PV is cancelled, my ass

and your ass is cancelled too !

by Anonymousreply 48July 2, 2019 12:33 AM

Columbia. Cartagena is so much fun. Don't go alone. You don't have to worry so much about the water and the police. And it's much more colorful and interesting food and people.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2019 10:04 PM

Colombia has hot blatino men!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2019 10:34 PM

Cuba - nice people, hot sex, interesting country. Also that shit hole Haiti. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 51September 19, 2019 10:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!