Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Second U.S. Democratic debate sets TV ratings record

June 28, 2019

(Reuters) - About 18.1 million television viewers watched Thursday night’s debate among 10 Democrats running for U.S. president, a record for a Democratic primary face-off, according to Nielsen data released by NBC News.

The debate featuring front-runners Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders was shown on broadcaster NBC, cable channel MSNBC and Spanish-language network Telemundo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2019 1:02 PM

And unfortunately, this is why these debates are important. This was a massive viewership audience. Kamala, scored BIG here! Joe Biden did too but not in a good way. Marianne Williamson left a memorable impression.

If I were Bernie I'd be PISSED

by Anonymousreply 1June 28, 2019 9:41 PM

[quote]If I were Bernie I'd be PISSED

Why? He did well enough judging by these results (disapproval rating basically unchanged, which is crazy) and he got lucky no one came after him in a big way, which is exactly what Warren is waiting for so his supporters can flock to her. They're going to need to duke it out eventually and she'd prefer if someone else did that dirty job for her before then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 28, 2019 9:56 PM

@PollTroll, regarding the results in r2...

I just noticed Kamala stole a bigger share of support from Warren than she did from Biden. Have I interpreted that correctly? Should Warren keep an eye out for that? Because that movement sure as hell looks more dramatic to me than the Bernie-Warren leakage that's brought up most often.

by Anonymousreply 3June 28, 2019 10:14 PM

If I undestand the second graph correctly, Warren had the 2nd bigges post-debate bump after Cory Booker. The gap between Warren and Biden has shrunk by a few points.

OMG, Castro did the dirty work but it was Booker who got the biggest bump passing Beto. Castro still remains behind Beto.

Pete remains steady but Kamala has put more distance between them.

by Anonymousreply 4June 28, 2019 10:16 PM

R3, here's a good summation by Harry Enten of today's numbers:

[quote]I'd like to see what occurs without the attrition (and in other polling), but I think this is interesting... Not a lot of loss in favorability for Biden, but Harris very much gained and it's reflected in the horserace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 28, 2019 11:21 PM

This is really going to piss off ratings loser Trump.

by Anonymousreply 6June 28, 2019 11:31 PM

Tom Perez needs to make damn sure that Marianne Williamson is on stage for the next debate. She's become a national treasure overnight and everyone will tune in to see what the lil' fruitcake says next. She's like our version of Trump. People tune in to watch and laugh at her bizarre performance art. Twitter will explode and cause people to watch the debate.

by Anonymousreply 7June 28, 2019 11:52 PM

Marianne Williamson

Republicans start donating to Marianne Williamson to keep her in future Democratic debates

WASHINGTON -- Author Marianne Williamson's quirky, love-conquers-all approach on the Democratic debate stage Thursday drew applause, ridicule and confusion.

On Friday, she was attracting donations. From Republicans.

GOP strategist Jeff Roe, who ran Texas Sen. Ted Cruz' 2016 presidential campaign, tweeted out to his 16,000 followers asking fellow Republicans "to donate $1 to keep this vibrant democrat on the debate stage. One debate performance is not enough."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8June 28, 2019 11:58 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2019 12:12 AM

Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro earned the highest scores for their debate performances relative to their favorability rating before they took the stage.

Chart from 538 today:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2019 12:30 AM

Watching Marianne in the debate is like watching Boeing 737 Max crashing into the White House, a mesmerizing plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2019 1:21 AM

The Dema don’t realize the prize is swing voters

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2019 1:32 AM

Voters speak

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 1, 2019 11:54 PM

Great ratings. Bodes well for voter engagement, turn-out, and change, as in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 14July 1, 2019 11:58 PM

"Madam President?"

By, Annie Leibovitz

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2019 12:25 PM

Wouldn't the first female or the first black VP be noteworthy as well?

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2019 12:28 PM

Williamson is the symptom of the rudderless Dem party. The other candidates are symptoms of its bankruptcy.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2019 12:39 PM

R17, and would what that make Trump a symptom of for the Republicans? Toxic and vile?

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2019 12:43 PM

r17 Haven't seen a truly deplorable post on DL in a while, so good job.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2019 12:57 PM

The hypocrisy of her post is totally lost on DEPLORABLE R19.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2019 1:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!